6.9

535 Reach Blvd
Columbus, OH 43215

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
IUI With Other Docs
While I have enjoyed my interactions with him, I am not confident that we had exhausted all the options before he suggested donor eggs and felt that conversation could have been handled more eloquently. ... Dr. Williams had a great demeanor during of our consultations. He was great in taking the time to explain our diagnosis and treatment options, answered my husband's and my questions, and was compassionate when I was emotional.
I went to Ohio Reproductive Medicine due to a referral by my OBGYN. Over the period I was treated there, I had different experiences with the front desk, ranging from friendly and compassionate to downright rude and even incompetent. I feel conflicted by the first come, first serve for monitoring appointments (blood work and ultrasounds); ... made it extremely difficult to set appropriate expectations for my arrival at work.
How was your experience with Steven Williams (retired) at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Williams had a great demeanor during of our consultations. He was great in taking the time to explain our diagnosis and treatment options, answered my husband's and my questions, and was compassionate when I was emotional. While I have enjoyed my interactions with him, I am not confident that we had exhausted all the options before he suggested donor eggs and felt that conversation could have been handled more eloquently. Also, as I mentioned earlier, I would appreciate more time with him to discuss treatment, concerns, and to truly feel he understood us and had the same goals and my husband and I.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Williams (retired) at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Be your own advocate and ask the questions until you get an answer that satisfies you. (That would be my advice for everyone, not exclusive to prospective patients of Dr. Williams.)
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Williams (retired) at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
When I was in the room with Dr. Williams, I felt like a human. However, the process of getting in to see him (two waiting rooms, the clipboards, etc) made me feel like a number. Also, while I understand the need of seeing multiple doctors throughout monitoring based on who is available, it adds to the already growing feeling that I am a number.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
I went to Ohio Reproductive Medicine due to a referral by my OBGYN. Over the period I was treated there, I had different experiences with the front desk, ranging from friendly and compassionate to downright rude and even incompetent. I feel conflicted by the first come, first serve for monitoring appointments (blood work and ultrasounds); on the one hand, it's great to know I can get in early and hopefully beat the crowd, or know that I am only waiting because others showed up before me and not because they were late to an appointment time. On the other hand, hope is not a strategy and the first come, first serve made it extremely difficult to set appropriate expectations for my arrival at work. It can really feel like moving cattle, signing a clipboard in one waiting room, waiting for bloodwork, signing a clipboard in another waiting room, waiting for the ultrasound, and then signing yet another clipboard to let the nurses know you're ready to speak to them.
Columbus

Every consultation felt like we were just a chart, no personality. ... Between the constant multiweek vacations during our 6 months of treatment we rarely ever saw him [Dr. Williams] except for consultations. We had to push to continue treatment while he was away. ... He would give us a false sense of progress to only be told by the nurses [ORM] later that we would not be able to do the timeline he gave us. ...
It’s very factory like [Ohio Reproductive Medicine]. In/Out and wait times are long. Typically you aren’t seen until 30 minutes after your appointment. Clinic is clean and pleasant though. Receptionists are very friendly. Multiple waiting rooms are confusing. ... The nurses were great. Mackenzie was amazing at explaining things to me when I had concerns.
Between the constant multiweek vacations during our 6 months of treatment we rarely ever saw him except for consultations. We had to push to continue treatment while he was away. If we had questions we could only speak to the nurses and have to go back and forth with them and the doctor instead of him taking 5 seconds to speak to us directly. He would give us a false sense of progress to only be told by the nurses later that we would not be able to do the timeline he gave us.
Be prepared to fight and advocated for yourself. He will certainly not pay enough attention to who you are to do it for you.
Every consultation felt like we were just a chart, no personality. We constantly had to remind him of the current treatment path that he had set.
Describe the protocols Steven Williams (retired) used in your cycles at Ohio Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Originally wanted to do another 3 rounds of timed intercourse with clomid, after we had already done 4 cycles with our GYN. We refused and were allowed to do IUI. After two failed IUI we requested to move forward with IVF and were denied and advised for one more IUI that again failed. Due to lab shut downs and a paperwork technicality we were forced to wait 2 months longer than we would have liked for our ivf procedure.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
It’s very factory like. In/Out and wait times are long. Typically you aren’t seen until 30 minutes after your appointment. Clinic is clean and pleasant though. Receptionists are very friendly. Multiple waiting rooms are confusing.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
It was a cattle call for IVF monitoring. Show up by this time and wait with 20 other women and hope you get there before the crowd
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Williams (retired) at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
The consultations were expensive considering the lack of information we would receive. Rest of the costs seem standard
Describe Steven Williams (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
He didn’t seem to be one way or the other. Mentioned other doctors options that were strongly for one at a time. However did show the risks of multiple
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Our doctor constantly forgot what stage of treatment we were on so if we would have not advocated we would have spent money of medications that would have been admitted incorrectly.
Columbus

Dr Williams is a very nice man and I enjoyed our initial consult. ... I was 40 when we started trying, 41 when we began treatment and was told I had the reproductive health of a 38 year old at the time. ... I was told our next steps would be to do IVF with donor eggs ... I wish we would have skipped the last 2 IUIs and gone straight to IVF with my own eggs.
You’re simply treated like a number there [Ohio Reproductive Medicine] and god knows who will do your IUI because it may not be your RE. ... Nancy and Mackenzie are amazing. In fact the best care I received was from Nancy when we decided to stop treatment. She was so compassionate and kind. I will always remember the kind words she gave to me on my last visit there.
Dr Williams is a very nice man and I enjoyed our initial consult. His nurses are absolutely amazing and compassionate. However every time I had an ultrasound I felt like all the info was rushed and I never had time to understand what was being told to me or to ask questions. And I didn’t know what to ask and wasn’t really given an opportunity to inquire much.
Insist on him explaining what all the numbers and data he throws out means.
During the initial consult I felt like we were treated like a patient. All of the IUIs during which only one was done by Williams I felt like a cattle being called into the pen.
We did 4-5 months of clomid. We then did 3 IUIs, the last of which we did with injectables (Follistim). I was 40 when we started trying, 41 when we began treatment and was told I had the reproductive health of a 38 year old at the time. I responded well to all the medications and had a clear HSG done by Williams. But never had one positive test. I was told our next steps would be to do IVF with donor eggs and that’s not something we wanted to do.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nancy and Mackenzie)
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
You’re simply treated like a number there and god knows who will do your IUI because it may not be your RE. The nursing staff of Dr Williams is amazing and compassionate as well as organized. They have excellent communication.
I think in total with office visits, HSG, ultrasounds, sperm washes, blood draws, clomid, IUIs, and injectables we spent close to $5000 out of pocket. None of our insurance coverage a thing.
Columbus
[Dr. Williams] did not appear to have reviewed my husband's SA results and I had to remind him in my appointment to please do so... He is incredibly nice but airs on the conservative side with his treatment recommendation. According to Dr. Williams, I had only been trying to conceive for 12 months and was 31 years old so I should be patient and just keep taking clomid rather than move on to more aggressive treatment. I reminded him that I already tried 5 monitored clomid cycles and that I wanted to add in a low dosage of gonadotropins to produce more follicles and increase my odds of conception, I wanted to add this treatment to a monitored cycle.
I am allergic to latex and I feel like I have to constantly remind the office [at Ohio Reproductive Medicine] not to use the latex covers on the ultrasound wands...ORM does an excellent job providing patients with printout sheets with insurance codes and cost. I always felt like I knew the associated cost of my care...Plenty of availability. I was able to get an appointment as needed and usually offered a few different times and was able to choose my preferred appointment slot. My wait time to see the doctor was also minimal.
Dr. Williams and I did not collaborate or make decisions together well. He is incredibly nice but airs on the conservative side with his treatment recommendation. According to Dr. Williams, I had only been trying to conceive for 12 months and was 31 years old so I should be patient and just keep taking clomid rather than move on to more aggressive treatment. I reminded him that I already tried 5 monitored clomid cycles and that I wanted to add in a low dosage of gonadotropins to produce more follicles and increase my odds of conception, I wanted to add this treatment to a monitored cycle. Dr. Williams explained the risk of multiples and the expense of the drug which I appreciate but ultimately my husband and I wanted to move forward. We were willing to take on the risk and expense of this treatment but it was not what Dr. Williams wanted for us so the treatment was halted. Dr. Williams was very good at explaining why he thought the gonadotropins were a bad idea, he made sure all my questions were answered. I don't, however, feel that our input was taken into consideration. He told us that within 2 years, 90% of couples my age are successful at becoming pregnant. Being advised to remain patient for another full calendar year before moving onto more-aggressive treatment was heart-wrenching.
Be sure to self-advocate for yourself. Dr. Williams is very knowledgeable and professional, however, he is a busy man and has hundreds of patients. If there is a specific treatment that you think will benefit you, come armed with information and be prepared to defend your stance. Dr. Williams will give you stats and percentages and reference medical journals at the drop of a hat. I got a bit caught up in this and felt personally attacked but keep in mind that he has over 20 years of experience and he is trying to explain something in laymen's terms in your brief time together.
Dr. Williams is very nice. He is quite personable and made me feel relaxed and at ease in his care. However, Dr. Williams was always missing vital information from my medical records. I am allergic to latex and I always have to remind him to switch to the non-latex wand covers for my ultrasound monitoring. He also did not appear to have reviewed my husband's SA results and I had to remind him in my appointment to please do so.
Dr. Williams switched me from clomid to femara and we did monitored cycles with a trigger injection.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nancy/ McKinzie)
Both of Dr. Williams' nurses were wonderful to work with. If they sensed it was an emotional visit for me, they showed compassion as they passed me a box of tissues.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
I am allergic to latex and I feel like I have to constantly remind the office not to use the latex covers on the ultrasound wands.
Columbus
He [Dr. Williams] was not interested in hearing-let alone answering any of my questions or concerns that I brought and sis not even take the folder of records I was requested to put together. He was very nice, but we felt like a number. No diagnosis-not even any plan specific to what might be going on with us...He did not take any of the records I brought with me or address our particular case. He did not attempt to reach a diagnosis.
The clinic [ORM] was clean. It felt comfortable with modest furnishings. We did not have a long wait to get an appointment or while we were in the waiting room. They have even consultation hours, which is great for working professionals. The front desk staff member was not extremely friendly and complained to another staff member about wanting to go home when I was with her checking in. It’s clear that most of the people who were checking in were nervous to be there so a more welcoming first experience at the front desk would have been better.
He is a very likable and knowledgeable doctor. He puts you at ease immediately. However, he draws you the same picture of reproductive organs upside-down that he’s probably drawn a million times and talks about when you should have intercourse. By the time my husband and I got to his office, we had that part down already. He was not interested in hearing-let alone answering any of my questions or concerns that I brought and sis not even take the folder of records I was requested to put together. He was very nice, but we felt like a number. No diagnosis-not even any plan specific to what might be going on with us.
Demand that he hear your questions before you leave.
He didn’t allow me to ask any questions when he was through with his consultation speech. He did not take any of the records I brought with me or address our particular case. He did not attempt to reach a diagnosis.
His strategy was to try Clomid for 3 months, then Clomid with IUI, after that our next option would be exploratory surgery to look for possible endometriosis then on to IVF. It seemed to us like this is the same protocol he uses on almost everyone.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
They are fairly quick at returning phone calls and more receptive to questions than the doctor.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic was clean. It felt comfortable with modest furnishings. We did not have a long wait to get an appointment or while we were in the waiting room. They have even consultation hours, which is great for working professionals. The front desk staff member was not extremely friendly and complained to another staff member about wanting to go home when I was with her checking in. It’s clear that most of the people who were checking in were nervous to be there so a more welcoming first experience at the front desk would have been better.
With my consultation it was just a copay like any other specialist. After that any medications or treatments would be out of pocket.
2015 - 2017, Unsuccessful
Dr Williams was always kind and hopeful. He remembered the details of my case when he saw me and he never pressured me to pursue or not pursue any specific treatment....Overall, I liked Dr Williams. He remained optimistic yet gave me a realistic idea of whether specific treatments could work. He is kind and compassionate and on-time...My protocols were only for IUI. I started with 50mg Clomid while trying naturally. Then after one cycle, I decided I wanted to move to IUI with Clomid, which he agreed to. A few cycles I didn't ovulate, or my husband had low sperm counts.
Sometimes the staff [at Ohio Reproductive Medicine] in the front lobby weren't super polite. The clinic itself is located right next the the lab and a blood place, so very convenient for me to manage...the nurse I worked with most was Mackenzie and she is awesome. I always received prompt phone calls back and she's very calm and informative and took all the time I needed to answer questions...Someone didn't call me with a progesterone level result
Overall, I liked Dr Williams. He remained optimistic yet gave me a realistic idea of whether specific treatments could work. He is kind and compassionate and on-time. So far, I've only pursued IUI with him, so I can't comment on IVF with this particular doctor.
Advocate for yourself. Make sure he knows if you want to be more aggressive with treatments, etc.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nancy and Mackenzie )
The nurse I worked with most was Mackenzie and she is awesome. I always received prompt phone calls back and she's very calm and informative and took all the time I needed to answer questions.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Sometimes the staff in the front lobby weren't super polite. The clinic itself is located right next the the lab and a blood place, so very convenient for me to manage.
IUI was $373. Monitoring was about $40 after insurance. Procedures seemed to be well priced in comparison to what I've heard from other clinics
Did not pursue IVF so cannot comment.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Someone didn't call me with a progesterone level result. It was only to confirm whether I ovulated (I was pretty sure I did, so didn't follow up right away). She apologized and indicated they had critical staff out on vacation. I wasn't too concerned and wouldn't let that experience away you from choosing the clinic.

2014 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Dr. Williams is very nice. He is quirky and funny...He never seemed to really remember who I was. He used the same basic protocol that he uses with everyone. Meetings with him, for which I paid out of pocket, were brief. He would ramble through a canned speech about whatever it is we'd be doing and then quickly usher me out the door to speak to his nurse. I frequently forgot to ask him many of the questions I had because he just rushed me so much.
The biggest thing they [Ohio Reproductive Medicine] have going for them is name recognition. At the time I started going there, they were really the only clinic anyone knew about in town. I went because my friend went there and my OB/GYN referred me. Their weaknesses?: wait times, protocols, doctors, their lab is OLD and OUTDATED and INEFFECTIVE, their billing department is atrocious, they push everyone into IVF, and their nurses are--with few exception--awful to deal with.
I used to love Dr. Williams. But in the end, even though I have had two children with no fertility enhancing medication (and they are only 2 and 3 years old) he could not get me pregnant. He rushed through all of his explanations, never seemed to know who I was, and frequently I didn't even see him. During my one and only IVF cycle with him, he let me go SEVERAL days without monitoring between my last ultrasound and my egg retrieval. A fact my next RE would be astounded by. I was also told the morning of my egg retrieval that a different doctor at the clinic, one who had not even taken on any of her own patients yet, would be doing my retrieval. The only reason she didn't do it is because I complained about it. The retrieval itself went fine (I think). He recovered 10 eggs which was lower than he had told me would likely be the result at the beginning (he predicted at least 15). The fertilization, which we did with ICSI, was disastrous. ICSI usually has a 80% fertilization rate, only 4 out of my 10 eggs even fertilized. This was so hard to stomach--I had just been pregnant, naturally! (Our issue is male factor--my husband had a vasectomy and subsequent reversal. The reversal lasted long enough to naturally conceive our son but then scarred over again). Anyhow, the embryologist had no answer for why we had such a miserable fertilization rate. Just speaking to her, she seemed highly unintelligent. She couldn't answer any of my questions. She just said "well maybe it will be fine." It wasn't. Two of the embryos never really developed, and we transferred the other two on day 3. Negative. Obviously disappointed, we wanted to try again. I scheduled an appointment with Dr Williams right away. He too had no idea what went wrong. He told me he went to the lab to ask but they didn't take any notes on me... Then he recommended basically the exact same protocol again but with higher doses of drugs this time. We did not ultimately complete a second IVF cycle there and went elsewhere. It is worth noting that I had also done 8 medicated and unmedicated IUIs in the previous year with perfect donor sperm and did not get pregnant that way either.
Don't go to this doctor or this clinic.
Dr. Williams is very nice. He is quirky and funny. I liked him a great deal for years, and recommended him to everyone. But as time wore on, I started feeling more like a number to him. More specifically--a paycheck. He never seemed to really remember who I was. He used the same basic protocol that he uses with everyone. Meetings with him, for which I paid out of pocket, were brief. He would ramble through a canned speech about whatever it is we'd be doing and then quickly usher me out the door to speak to his nurse. I frequently forgot to ask him many of the questions I had because he just rushed me so much.
I wasn't given a rationale for why he used these particular protocols. He put me on long lupron and gonal-f, just like he does with everyone else.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
Dr. Williams' nurse Nancy is rude and condescending. When she called to tell me that my first IVF failed, that my pregnancy test was negative, I expressed disappointment. She said "Well, we aren't miracle workers." And I must admit I agree with her. They are not. However, I wasn't looking for a miracle. I'm a person who has two children already conceived naturally. Another one conceived should not have to be a miracle. If you are someone who even has the slightest issue, I guess Nancy and the team at ORM would consider your potential pregnancy a true miracle not to be expected.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
The strengths? None. The biggest thing they have going for them is name recognition. At the time I started going there, they were really the only clinic anyone knew about in town. I went because my friend went there and my OB/GYN referred me. Their weaknesses?: wait times, protocols, doctors, their lab is OLD and OUTDATED and INEFFECTIVE, their billing department is atrocious, they push everyone into IVF, and their nurses are--with few exception--awful to deal with.
Ultrasound monitoring here is the worst. 9 million people all waiting and it takes hours.
Typical costs.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
One of the biggest issues I had was with the billing department here. It is awfully complicated, but I had to compile a timeline for litigation purposes so I will just copy and paste it here: On October 13th, 2015 I returned a call from Fallon Johns at Dr. Williams office to pay for the upcoming IVF procedure. Fallon informed me that she spoke to my insurance company and that they covered the procedure at 80%. This meant that our ICSI w/natural sperm procedure would cost (Approximately) 1,300 dollars. I expressed surprise with this because our insurance had not covered any of the IUI procedures that we had done over the last year. She told me that they do NOT cover inseminations, but they DO cover IVF/ICSI procedures. I was still in disbelief so I made her confirm that it was my social security number, and my insurance company etc. She confirmed. I asked her to please send me confirmation via mail. She did. She also told me that our plan covered unlimited procedures. Obviously thrilled, I paid my deposit and we proceeded onward. On December 8th I underwent an egg retrieval. On December 11th I underwent an egg transfer. These procedures were ultimately unsuccessful. UNBEKNOWNST TO ME: my insurance company had contacted Dr. WIlliams' office and denied my claim from December. On December 23, records show, Dr. Williams' office contacted the insurance company and was told that it was covered, and that they should resubmit the claim. They presumably did. I was not informed that there was any issue. On approximately December 29th I met with Dr Williams and his nurse about doing another round of ICSI with natural sperm. The plan was to begin with my next period that would presumably be in January. On approximately January 13 or 14th my husband filled out the insurance coverage form provided by Doctor Williams' office by calling our insurance provider, reading them the codes provided by ORM on my form and having them say whether they were covered or not. The person on the form at our insurance provider told my husband that every code was covered, that medications were not covered, and there was no limit to the number of procedures we could do in the future. On either the 13th or 14th I brought back the completed form and our signed embryo cryopreservation form to ORM. On January 18th, Dr Williams' office called my insurance company again and was told, again, that the procedure was covered. On January 19th I received a call from Kerry at the ORM billing office who told me that my procedure was covered at 80%, and that (with our deductible) I owe 3900 dollars for the entire procedure, not including medications. On January 20th, we paid the deposit of 3900 dollars to ORM. Between January 20th and 30th, I had several conversations with my nurses at ORM about how to proceed through this cycle, none of which mentioned any past or current problems with my insurance. On January 30th, I started taking hormonal birth control for this round of IVF and already had my IVF schedule delivered to me via my patient portal. On the morning of February 1st, I was called by ORM nurse Nancy and told that she was going to either mail my patient folder to me or I could come and pick it up. I returned the call and said that she should mail it. At approximately 3:45 PM on February 1st, I received a call from Kerry at the ORM office asking if I had received my letter of denial regarding insurance claims. I said no I had not. She informed me that despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary provided from my insurance company, that not only was my procedure from December not covered, but the current cycle in which I was engaged was not covered. She informed me that unless I paid ORM approximately 15,000 dollars, I would not be able to continue my current cycle. Later, I would learn that Fallon Johns, the employee who initially OK'ed my procedures, was fired by ORM. No one would give me any more information. I was also informed that despite the fact that ORM only billed me for 1300 dollars, which I paid, and then they in consideration of that fact not only completed the IVF procedure--but allowed me to start a second one at the SAME price, that they would not honor our original contract re: the price for my first IVF cycle. I ultimately canceled the second cycle and went elsewhere. They are still billing me for the first IVF cycle which I refuse to pay as I detrimentally relied upon their assertion that I only owed 1300 dollars, an assertion they made for many, many, months despite what would later become clear were major red flags from my insurance provider regarding my coverage.
2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
As I mentioned before, I also don't think that he [Dr. Steven Williams] took my diagnosis into consideration. I feel that I was given the same treatment as someone with PCOS when I am dealing with DOR. These are two completely different conditions! I felt like i was just another patient to him. Even our friends who had dealt with Dr. Williams in the past could give us a run down of exactly what he would do or say and that would be exactly what happened. I didn't feel that he was up to date on any studies or new technologies out there.
The doctors at ORM are older and therefore I don't think they are as up to date on technologies and most resent studies. Their payment system is strange. They guess what your insurance will make you pay and then charge you. In many times they over charged me for services and hardly ever were their credits for any of that. For my laparoscopy, they were trying to get me to pay something like $700 when my insurance was covering 100% of the costs. I had to force them to run it through insurance first. However, I will say ORM is a well oiled machine. They get you in and out of there quickly and all of the appointments are pretty much on time and ready for you when you get there. Labs and Speciality pharmacy are all in the same complex so it makes it very easy for all of those things which is nice.
Dr. Williams is a very nice guy. He was always very friendly and always tried to break any bad news in the best way he could. That was a good thing and a bad thing a times. Both my husband and I felt like he spoke very fast and we never had enough time during our visits to internalize what he had just said and ask the appropriate questions. As I mentioned before, I also don't think that he took my diagnosis into consideration. I feel that I was given the same treatment as someone with PCOS when I am dealing with DOR. These are two completely different conditions! I felt like i was just another patient to him. Even our friends who had dealt with Dr. Williams in the past could give us a run down of exactly what he would do or say and that would be exactly what happened. I didn't feel that he was up to date on any studies or new technologies out there.
Be prepared for a drawing of your uterus and ovaries on your first consultation. Make sure that you ask a lot of questions and you make him take his time and slow down. Also, don't be afraid to question his timeline of treatment. His timeline will take about a year to get to IVF.
I felt that Dr. Williams gave me the same speech that he does to all of his patients. I also feel like my treatments were not specialized to my condition and it was the same treatment he gives everyone regardless of your diagnosis. Additionally, I do not think he was financially consciousness of treatments. We went through what ended up being 9 medicated cycles all being out of pocket expenses for us. His spiel in the beginning makes you think he is thinking about costs first but in reality we spent double what we should have before moving to IVF.
Treatment 1- 3 cycles of clomid and timed intercourse, reason was that this is a low cost 'easy' way to get pregnant. Resulted in 0 pregnancies Treatment 2- 2 cycles of clomid and IUI- reason was low cost and less invasive way to to get pregnant. Resulted in 1 pregnancy- ended in miscarriage. Treatment 3- repeat 2 cycles of clomid and IUI- reason was because I got pregnant off it the last time. Resulted in 0 pregnancies. Treatment 4- 150 Gonal-f and IUI- reason still not as expensive as IVF and chance of multiples. Resulted in 0 pregnancies Treatment 5- 225 Gonal-f and IUI- reason still not as expensive as IVF and chance of multiples. Resulted in 0 pregnancies. Treatment 6- laparoscopy to see if there was endo. Reason- this could be why other treatments did not work. Found no endo or scar tissue.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nancy or McKenzie )
Nancy and McKenzie were great. They were timely in returning calls and always answered my questions and helped when needed.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
About $15,000 Each IUI was about $2400 Medications $5000 Bloodwork around- $5000 Consultations/Ultra Sounds- $2600

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
Dr Williams has such a rich history of experience and can pull from that knowledge to help clearly explain expectations and support decisions. He backs up everything he says with Guidelines and studies. Given that fertility is not an exact science, I would have preferred that we explored more options than he did with my situation since I did not 'fit' the normal prototype based on my responses. So, I chose to go to a different clinic to explore other options and protocols.
Dr. Williams is an incredibly friendly and intelligent doctor. He always listened to all of my questions and gave very academic and straightforward answers, which I appreciated. I felt more like a number in that the clinic [Ohio Reproductive Medicine] itself feels more like a factory than a clinic. I only had Dr. Williams for a few number of procedures and actual clinical appointments. I trust Dr. Williams, but have had different experiences with other doctors there.
Dr William has such a rich history of experience and can pull from that knowledge to help clearly explain expectations and support decisions. He backs up everything he says with Guidelines and studies. Given that fertility is not an exact science, I would have preferred that we explored more options than he did with my situation since I did not 'fit' the normal prototype based on my responses. So, I chose to go to a different clinic to explore other options and protocols.
Dr Williams is realistic and very straightforward with the facts based on a typical patient. Be prepared to ask questions on why those things are right specifically for you and what can go wrong.
Dr. Williams is an incredibly friendly and intelligent doctor. He always listened to all of my questions and gave very academic and straightforward answers, which I appreciated. I felt more like a number in that the clinic itself feels more like a factory than a clinic. I only had Dr. Williams for a few number of procedures and actual clinical appointments. I trust Dr. Williams, but have had different experiences with other doctors there.
We had many blood tests and treatments with Dr. Williams, which helped us to better understand our situation. We started with Clomid, then Femara (letrozole), then IUIs. During this time ,we had at least 1 CP (1-2 not confirmed by blood tests). We did a Luteal Lupron protocol for 2 IVFs next. For IVF 1 I started with 225 units of Follistim / day, but then that was increased to 300 units. My E2 levels and ultrasound indicated that I should have at least 5 eggs retrieved. After a very painful retrieval, only 1 was retrieved. I was given no explanation when it happened, and was left devastated. The doctor who did it (not Dr. Williams) said "it wasn't my fault" and left me there. So, needless to say I asked for Dr. Williams for all of my procedures in IVF 2, and he agreed that was the right choice. He increased my Follistim to 375 units per day with the same protocol otherwise. Because I had to wait to get on his schedule, I was on birth control for an extra length of time, which I'm now told is not good for someone who is a poor responder. But, I did not have another choice if I wanted Dr. Williams. For IVF 2 retrieval, Dr. Williams was able to get 9 mature eggs, all of which fertilized. We needed to do a Day 3 transfer, though, since most were not dividing well Day 2/3. We only had 2, 8-cell embryos on Day 3, which were highly fragmented. No pregnancy resulted from this transfer.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Williams nursing staff is incredibly good. I had some issues early on with shortness and rudeness, however, Dr. Williams quickly rectified the issue after we told him about how bad it was getting. Since that, we had great experiences with both of Dr. William's nurses. The only downside is compassion can be limited, but they are very knowledgeable and quickly respond. The IVF nurses are more compassionate, but I was given false information several times and mistakes on my protocols. It seems like they are overworked? As people, they are very kind.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is like a well-oiled machine. This can give you confidence that they know what they do very well. The Patient Portal is a great tool that ORM offers, and helps you feel like you are part of the process. But keep in mind, that each doctor has a different set of skills. It is difficult when you find a doctor you like for consults, but then all of your procedures are with different doctors who don't know you at all. If you fall outside of what is 'the norm' - and you don't fit the mold that well / the typical approaches they take - be prepared to feel like your care is not personalized. I felt a bit like this clinic is a factory farm by the end, where I was a number to the clinic, and regardless of my body, my response, my issues, they would just click 'repeat' for another cycle.
We were fortunate to have 2 insurances cover most of the procedures during our time at ORM. I believe for the IVFs, each was a little under 2,000 out of pocket for everything.
Columbus

The first protocol [with Dr. Steven Williams] was the luteal lupron protocol, which only yielded one embryo. The second protocol was the microdose and it only yielded 2 embryos. He tried the microdose because the first protocol was not successful...He gave me the same speech during both miscarriages and didn't remember or have on file my precious miscarriage...Both cycles I went through with him he had the same lines to tell and the same reasons behind everything. He forgot he had talked to me about things previously and didn't remember my previous cycle with him. My last appointment he was going off someone else's chart.
The clinic [Ohio Reproductive Medicine] has it's own storage and freezing facility next door which is a bonus. It can get really busy in the mornings for bloodwork, but the clinic has it's own blood draw lab right in the building so you do not have to go to many different places...The nurses responded to messages quickly, but were not very caring...Several times I had to call in to get test results because they forgot to call. One of the appts I had with the Dr he was reading off a different patience notes and had my paperwork misplaced somewhere...It was around 8000 for the ivf cycle itself and around 2500 for the medications. The 2nd round insurance covered some. It was 1200 for ivf and 2000 for medications.
Every time I saw him he repeated the same thing. Both cycles I went through with him he had the same lines to tell and the same reasons behind everything. He forgot he had talked to me about things previously and didn't remember my previous cycle with him. My last appointment he was going off someone else's chart.
Ask a lot of questions.
The first protocol was the luteal lupron protocol, which only yielded one embryo. The second protocol was the microdose and it only yielded 2 embryos. He tried the microdose because the first protocol was not successful.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
The nurses responded to messages quickly, but were not very caring.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic has it's own storage and freezing facility next door which is a bonus. It can get really busy in the mornings for bloodwork, but the clinic has it's own blood draw lab right in the building so you do not have to go to many different places.
The first round was all out of pocket. It was around 8000 for the ivf cycle itself and around 2500 for the medications. The 2nd round insurance covered some. It was 1200 for ivf and 2000 for medications.
He wants a person to only put one embryo in no matter what.

2013, Unsuccessful
Clomid cycles followed by femara cycles and IUIs [protocols with Dr. Williams]. 6th cycle I had a chemical pregnancy and he suggested I try IFV after completly healed...was professional, yet didn’t make you feel terribly comfortable. When you’re going through fertility treatments, having a doctor who doesn’t make you feel odd is a huge plus. I ended up switching facilities because I wasn’t 100% comfortable with him.
The clinic [Ohio Reproductive Medicine] was difficult to navigate. There were multiple waiting rooms and it was laid out in an awkward manner. Additionally, my husband found the men’s collection room to be uninviting and dirty...nurse was professional, however when I had my ectopic pregnancy she forgot that I needed a Rogam shot, so I had to drive back to the clinic the following day to have it administered.
Dr. Williams was professional, yet didn’t make you feel terribly comfortable. When you’re going through fertility treatments, having a doctor who doesn’t make you feel odd is a huge plus. I ended up switching facilities because I wasn’t 100% comfortable with him.
Know that it’s a business and that you should do your own research instead of hoping the doctor will provide all the answers.
Primarily saw one nurse the entire time (along with Dr.), therefore you were a familiar face to them.
Clomid cycles followed by femara cycles and IUIs. 6th cycle I had a chemical pregnancy and he suggested I try IFV after completly healed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. W’s nurse was professional, however when I had my ectopic pregnancy she forgot that I needed a Rogam shot, so I had to drive back to the clinic the following day to have it administered.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic was difficult to navigate. There were multiple waiting rooms and it was laid out in an awkward manner. Additionally, my husband found the men’s collection room to be uninviting and dirty.
The cost was middle of the road. I’ve definitely been to other clinics that have cost considerably more.
Prefers single embryo transfer for less potential health risks to potential baby.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
After my ectopic pregnancy the nurse forgot that I also needed a rogam shot. I had to take an additional day off work to go back the next day for the shot.

IUI With Other Docs
Dr. Williams showed a lot of compassion for me, but I felt like he didn’t really know me as a patient. He used the wrong chart to go over further directions with me after a failed FET. He is a great doctor, I also just didn’t see him each time which bothered me. I know how the clinic works and it’s not possible every time, I just wish I could have seen him more often....mix of information was emotional...
[Ohio Reproductive Medicine clinic] are very organized and have an exact way to do everything. Everyone in the office is nice and efficient. They are more than willing to answer questions anytime you have them & respond timely. If you’re having bloodwork, be sure to get there early so you’re not stuck there for a long time...given a quote of around $12,000 - from egg retrieval to ultrasounds & the embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
They are very organized and have an exact way to do everything. Everyone in the office is nice and efficient. They are more than willing to answer questions anytime you have them & respond timely. If you’re having bloodwork, be sure to get there early so you’re not stuck there for a long time.
Thankfully, my insurance covers IVF. I am not sure of the specific numbers, but before I started I was given a quote of around $12,000 - from egg retrieval to ultrasounds & the embryo transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
I was told by one embryologist I was not going to have any embryos form, was told the same thing by my doctor, and the next day a different embryologist called to say I had one embryo. I understand things change overnight but the mix of information was emotional.
Columbus

During my 2nd round of IUI when Dr. Williams entered the room he asked me if I had ever had a vaginal ultrasound. Considering I had done my first round of IUI the month prior and had 2 previous ectopic pregnancies, anyone who would have read the chart before entering the room wouldn't ask that question. He also down played how serious my diminished ovarian reserve is and didn't inform me that IVF cycles would have a low success rate. He was ready to move forward without reviewing all the statistics and all my options. I'm just glad I got the 2nd opinion before moving forward. I would not recommend Dr. Williams to anyone who has diminished ovarian reserve or any other complex medical issue. They do not take outside factors into account before planning your treatment.
They [the nurses at Ohio Reproductive Medicine] were always very nice and informative...They are a very nice staff of people they have working for the doctors. If you have any serious hormone imbalance or any complex issue, I would recommend researching several different facilities first...During my 2nd round of IUI when Dr. Williams entered the room he asked me if I had ever had a vaginal ultrasound. Considering I had done my first round of IUI the month prior and had 2 previous ectopic pregnancies, anyone who would have read the chart before entering the room wouldn't ask that question.
Do your research
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
They were always very nice and informative
Do not remember

2012 - 2014, Unsuccessful
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
I felt like I was more of a number because we repeated the same protocol several times with the same results (negative)...I thought Dr Williams meant well, but I feel like we just repeated the same thing multiple times and wasted time and lots of money with no results instead of taking a step back and really trying to figure out what the issues were...
[Ohio Repro Med] Strengths- location, lab down the street, earlier appointments, nursing staff Weaknesses- varieties of options trialed, not put under for retrievals Advice - make sure you’re very involved and ask a lot of questions...I felt like I was more of a number because we repeated the same protocol several times with the same results (negative)...
Do your homework and be very active in the planning / treatment process!