6.9

Steven Williams (retired) works at

535 Reach Blvd
Columbus, OH 43215

2015 - 2017, Successful
At the initial consultation, he [Dr. Williams] went through his spiel very quickly. We could tell it was the same thing he said to all the new patients. Once we got into specifics, with my medical history, and plans, he slowed down a little, but he was still really brisk.... He's pretty good in the exam room. He's slower and pays more attention than in the initial consultation. He's honest and doesn't try to sugar coat bad news. And he seemed as disappointed as me when my follicles weren't measuring up for the IUIs.
They [Ohio Reproductive Medicine] are partnered with and next door to a sperm bank. If you need donor sperm, this is very helpful and saves a ton on shipping costs. You’ll see the same doctor for most of your appointments, but sometimes one of the other doctors has to step in. Weekend IUIs, you’ll get whoever in on the schedule.... My wife and I are both using this clinic. We started with her, then to me, then back to her. Since we come in together and have the same last name
How was your experience with Steven Williams (retired) at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
At the initial consultation, he went through his spiel very quickly. We could tell it was the same thing he said to all the new patients. Once we got into specifics, with my medical history, and plans, he slowed down a little, but he was still really brisk. He seems to know his stuff and I appreciate that he's closely connected with the OSU med school and up to date on the latest fertility studies. Our first medicated cycle, at the first ultrasound to check for follicle growth, he told us my follicles weren't growing at the rate they should be and said that cycle wasn't optimal. Rather than continue with the IUI as planned, he let us make the decision to not move forward that cycle. I appreciated that, because it saved us money and the heartache of a negative. Then he modified the medications for the next cycle, and the next, and the next. He's pretty good in the exam room. He's slower and pays more attention than in the initial consultation. He's honest and doesn't try to sugar coat bad news. And he seemed as disappointed as me when my follicles weren't measuring up for the IUIs. I’m disappointed he put us through so many IUIs before we asked if we could move on to IVF. I know we are a two woman couple, but 12 IUIs, even split between 2 uteruses, was extreme.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Williams (retired) at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
Go in prepared, know your research and your body, have questions ready.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Williams (retired) at Ohio Reproductive Medicine?
The doctor always treats me like a human when I'm in the office. Talking to the nurses is a different story. They specifically ask you to leave your chart number when leaving a voicemail. Once they call back, you're treated like a human again. After 2+ years of IUI visits, I formed a close relationship with one of the nurses. I was sad to find out we would get a different team of nurses for the IVF process, And we went back to being just a code.
Describe the protocols Steven Williams (retired) used in your cycles at Ohio Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I'm anovulary with PCOS, with very rare natural (unmedicated) cycles. First try: Provera to induce a period, then 50mg Clomid cycle days 3-7 for the cycle that didn't produce growing follicles. We didn't proceed with the IUI Second try: Provera, prescribed 100mg Clomid cycle days 3-7 and trigger shot, produced follicles around Cd22, IUI unsuccessful. 3rd cycle, very similar to the second cycle, 100mg Clomid with trigger shot 4th cycle moved to Letrozole with trigger shot, mature follicles showed up around cd12, IUI unsuccessful 5th IUI, sane protocol as the 4th We did 7 IUIs with my wife, she did 3 unmedicated and 3 with 50mg Clomid, and 1 with 100mg clomid. All unsuccessful. We moved on to IVF in May 2017. We did Menopur, Cetrotide, Gonal F, Novarel and PIO after retrieval through 10 weeks. I had 16 eggs retrieved, 14 fertilized, 1 implanted, and only 1 made it to freeze. Our 1 fresh transfer was successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
Dr. Williams has 2 nurses on his team. Nancy is much nicer and warmer than Mackenzie. With my irregular cycles, I've had a lot of questions for them. The first couple calls, the nurse was very brisk, almost rude, like I was wasting her time. After our second failed cycle, I think Nancy realized we’d be seeing her a lot and she really warmed up to us. We rarely heard from Mackenzie after that.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
They are partnered with and next door to a sperm bank. If you need donor sperm, this is very helpful and saves a ton on shipping costs. You’ll see the same doctor for most of your appointments, but sometimes one of the other doctors has to step in. Weekend IUIs, you’ll get whoever in on the schedule.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Williams (retired) at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Initial consultation: $200, no insurance coverage Blood tests: $268, discounted by insurance down to $50 Sperm: $675 (was $515), no insurance coverage Ultrasound: $381, discounted by insurance down to $200 IUI: $230, no insurance coverage Trigger shot: $80, no insurance coverage Clomid: $20, discounted by insurance Provera: completely covered by insurance Ivf - $7k for monitoring, retrieval and implantation, after insurance adjustment; $3k for meds through insurance. They had a cash up front option for people with no insurance coverage and I believe that was $12k for monitoring, retrieval and implantation.
Describe Steven Williams (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Our doctor recommended 1 embryo transfer for patients under 35, 2 for over 35. Since I was on the cusp, they gave me the option. I chose 1
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
My wife and I are both using this clinic. We started with her, then to me, then back to her. Since we come in together and have the same last name, they've confused our charts, or combined them. Sometimes they'll call my wife with my results, sometimes they will call me. They haven't set up a portal for me yet, but they seem to be putting all my information in my wife's portal. It's a little annoying because we are separate patients, but at least it's my wife and not some other patient that's getting my information.
Columbus

He [Dr. Steven Williams] was very personable and tried to really get to know me during our time together...He was really great. Gave lots of diagrams. The only negative was he didn’t really seem to want to see me before we had been TTC for two years because I was only 25 the first time I went into his office after we had been trying with no success for 13 months... gave me basic blood tests and told me he wasn’t worried about me because I was only 25 and had only been trying for 13 months. I tried to schedule an HSG for three months but couldn’t get a single appointment for it at the office.
I think the clinic [Ohio Reproductive Medicine] is very nice and very compassionate. I would certainly use them again if my current doctor that I’m seeing reaches the point where he can no longer help me in my fertility journey. The only weakness was that they didn’t take me seriously because I was “too young to worry about”, but I understand where they are coming from...I had a hard time getting my blood tests transferred and had to call a few times, but I think that’s just because they’re usually pretty busy.
He’s great and will give you everything straight but with compassion as well.
He was very personable and tried to really get to know me during our time together.
Dr. Williams gave me basic blood tests and told me he wasn’t worried about me because I was only 25 and had only been trying for 13 months. I tried to schedule an HSG for three months but couldn’t get a single appointment for it at the office.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
I think the clinic is very nice and very compassionate. I would certainly use them again if my current doctor that I’m seeing reaches the point where he can no longer help me in my fertility journey. The only weakness was that they didn’t take me seriously because I was “too young to worry about”, but I understand where they are coming from.
Columbus
He [Dr. Williams] was nice and explained things fairly well during our consultation. I had pretty high hopes with our chances of getting pregnant with just the IUI, but it didn't work. I just feel like after the last IUI that he could have communicated and asked how we were or what our next step could be.... I always had to call them [Ohio Reproductive Medicine - Columbus]. And after i did my last IUI, I never heard another word.
They [Ohio Reproductive Medicine - Columbus] were all pretty nice but it seemed like they cared about the payment more than the patient. As soon as you walked in the receptionist was asked for payment and didnt really seem to care how you were doing. The environment isn't very inviting either, they would make it a little more cozy in there....I can't remember the one nurse's name but she was very rude when I called to ask a question.
He was nice and explained things fairly well during our consultation. I had pretty high hopes with our chances of getting pregnant with just the IUI, but it didn't work. I just feel like after the last IUI that he could have communicated and asked how we were or what our next step could be.
I always had to call them. And after i did my last IUI, I never heard another word.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Describe your experience with Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
They were all pretty nice but it seemed like they cared about the payment more than the patient. As soon as you walked in the receptionist was asked for payment and didnt really seem to care how you were doing. The environment isn't very inviting either, they would make it a little more cozy in there.
Thankfully my insurance covered some of it but I believe we had to pay 225 for each IUI cycle.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
I just always had to call them with results or what needed to be done next.