Medical SchoolColumbia
770.928.2276
6470 E. John's Crossing
Johns Creek, GA 30097
770.928.2276
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Sue Ellen Carpenter to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 6Neutral: 1Don't recommend: 37.1
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend ACRM to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 49Neutral: 7Don't recommend: 78.8
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with ACRM.
This is a big clinic. It's a baby making factory, and as such you will become just one of the patients moving along the conveyer belt. If you are lucky enough to have a doctor as caring as Dr. Carpenter, I would still say that it's not worth it because you will be bounced around to so many other doctors and nurses and your time with "your" doctor will be limited. Many of my tests and procedures were performed by nurse practitioners, not even other doctors. I was displeased about this because I was paying the same regardless of who performed it. So I would have preferred any doctor, if not MY doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sue Ellen Carpenter at ACRM?
I always felt that Dr. Carpenter had a great bedside manner. She took time to explain everything and answer questions. I also felt she genuinely cared about things working out for me. Unfortunately, during most of my appointments I was meeting with other doctors, nurse practitioners, or the nursing staff and I did not feel that many of them saw me as much more than a number. This was one of the reasons that I left ACRM.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ACRM. (Assigned nurse: Mikesha)
This was one of my biggest disappointments with ACRM. In an attempt to look super organized, each patient has both a designated nurse and a separate designated patient care coordinator. I was sometimes on the phone with one and rather than just booking the appointment, I had to be transferred to someone else. It seemed a lot of steps were involved to do anything. I also felt that the staff didn't have much compassion. They were very hard to reach. I don't think that I EVER was able to get though to my nurse via phone directly. I always had to leave a voicemail and then she would call back. Yes, it was within the designated "appropriate call back time," but I felt as if they almost had a policy of not answering the phone. The nursing staff who drew blood were cordial, but there were times when I was in the office multiple days in a given week. They never seemed to acknowledge that they knew who I was. We had no relationship and they didn't seem to want to develop one. I do understand that they have a lot of patients, but the lack of warmth left something to be desired. I also had a situation occur where I needed to meet with my doctor to discuss something prior to beginning a cycle. I was scheduled for an appointment and was told I would be meeting with my doctor. At the appointment, my nurse told me that was not the case. I was just having blood work to move forward with the cycle. I was very uncomfortable doing so without consulting my doctor and having some questions answered. Despite the fact that I had had a conversation with both her and with my patient care coordinator earlier in the day and had been told I could see Dr. Carpenter, I was now told that it was not scheduled that way and it was not possible. I was informed Dr. Carpenter was with another patient. I suggested that I would wait until whenever she could see me. I was visibly upset and was now crying, but no compassion was shown and I was told I could not meet with her that day. This left a very bad impression on me of the nurse. I do not blame Dr. Carpenter, as it seemed she was unaware that one of her patients was in a room crying and trying to meet with her.
What specific things went wrong at ACRM?
How was your experience with Sue Ellen Carpenter at ACRM?
I very much like Dr. Carpenter. She was the first infertility specialist that I ever saw, so I was in a pretty emotionally fragile place going into our first meeting. I felt that she took a lot of time to explain everything that was happening and what our next steps were. I never felt rushed. She seems to genuinely care about her patients. On the visits that I was actually able to see her, she took time to answer every single one of my often very long list of questions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sue Ellen Carpenter at ACRM?
I would suggest someone considering Dr. Carpenter keep in mind that although she is your doctor, you will be spending a somewhat small amount of time with her. Other doctors and staff will be the ones handling many of your procedures, so make sure you are comfortable with feeling like a number during the visits when you do not see Dr. Carpenter.
Describe the protocols Sue Ellen Carpenter used in your cycles at ACRM and their degree of success.
I was not ovulating on my own. We did about 4 months of clomid, which did induce ovulation each time but did not result in pregnancy. We then switched to Femara for 2 months, and included 3 IUIs (2 in one cycle) during that time. Both of those months also led to ovulation, but not to pregnancy. We were then discussing IVF, but I switched clinics before beginning that process.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sue Ellen Carpenter at ACRM.
Nothing was covered by my insurance, so it all seemed very pricey. It was about 2 years ago at this point, so I do not remember exact numbers. The cost of IVF (which I never started at ACRM) was comparable to other locations in Atlanta, but much more expensive than I was able to find out of state.
Describe Sue Ellen Carpenter's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at ACRM.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
My nurse [at ACRM - Atl Per] was actually pretty good, though like everyone else at the clinic never congratulated us when we conceived or expressed sorrow when we lost the pregnancies...There is not a culture of compassion for the patients...You will sometimes have to wait a really long time for your appointment... Strengths: Free parking. People who draw blood are very good. Able to get early morning (before work) appointments most of the time...
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Describe your experience with ACRM.
Weaknesses: they have set protocols and don't like to vary from them. They will cancel treatment cycles against your wishes (in my opinion, to protect their success rates). There is not a culture of compassion for the patients. You will likely not get to see your doctor much/at all during your treatment cycle - you'll see a different doctor at every appointment who doesn't know you and won't take the time to get to know you - you'll just be names on a chart. You will sometimes have to wait a really long time for your appointment. Strengths: Free parking. People who draw blood are very good. Able to get early morning (before work) appointments most of the time.
My fertility issues did not "fit the mold." We attempted three IVF cycles and were cancelled each time prior to retrieval, against our wishes (the doctor/clinic didn't think there were enough eggs to even try; we just wanted a chance). Basically, we were told they had three protocols and we had tried them all so our "only option" was to move on to donor eggs (note: we switched clinics and were successful on our first cycle with them). I believe the doctor/clinic is probably ok for 90% of people/couples who are "easy" but terrible for those in the other 10%. Also, in the 10 months we worked with this doctor/clinic, we conceived twice (one on our own on a break cycle and once after a cancelled-IVF-converted-to-IUI cycle). We lost both pregnancies but my issue with the doctor (and everyone else at this clinic) is that with neither pregnancy did we hear a "congratulations" upon conception or any expression of sorrow when we lost the pregnancy. Also, I hated that we didn't get to see our doctor during our treatment cycle - we saw a different doctor at every appointment who didn't know us and didn't want to take the time to get to know us; we were just names on a chart. They made decisions about our care without knowing our situation or preferences.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ACRM. (Assigned nurse: Mikesha)
My nurse was actually pretty good, though like everyone else at the clinic never congratulated us when we conceived or expressed sorrow when we lost the pregnancies.
How was your experience with Sue Ellen Carpenter at ACRM?
In my experience she was unwilling to think outside the box/vary from set protocols. She dismissed our preferences (e.g., continue with retrieval despite few eggs), in my opinion, to protect the clinic's success rates (little did she know that our first attempt with a different clinic would be successful). She had little-to-no interaction with us during our cycles. She never congratulated us when we conceived (twice in our ten months with the clinic) or expressed sorrow when either pregnancy failed (at least not until I pointed this fact out to her at which point she did tell us she was sorry but it seemed to be very hard for her to do).
If, for whatever reason, you decide to give her/this clinic a try and are unsuccessful after a cycle or two, SWITCH TO A DIFFERENT CLINIC (may I suggest Dr. Shapiro at RBA?). If you don't fit the mold, find a doctor/clinic that will think outside the box/treat you as an individual.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sue Ellen Carpenter at ACRM.
I was fortunate and had most expenses covered by insurance. I paid $40 for each visit (including blood draws, unfortunately) plus out-of-pocket for the meds insurance wouldn't cover.
6 IUI, 1 IVF, Embryo Freezing
PCOS, Unexplained
ACRM is a very good clinic. Their strategy is coordinated care--so, you may not see your primary physician every time. But, information is shared and the physicians are great about working together. It's seamless. The rest of the staff is very friendly and helpful. You can pay bills online. And, their offices are very well appointed and comfortable. Also, they have several locations across metro Atlanta.
6 IUI, 1 IVF, Embryo Freezing
PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with ACRM.
Dr. Carpenter treats her patients 100% like humans. She ALWAYS makes sure her patients leave her office understanding their care plan and feeling comfortable with their plan. She's accessible and easy to talk to. And, she really genuinely cares about you as a person.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ACRM. (Assigned nurse: Sherri Bisciotti)
My care team at ACRM consistent for Sherri (primary nurse) and Timeka Carter (care coordinator). Sherri has been the most incredible support throughout this journey. She is easily accessible and answers my questions (or finds Dr. Carpenter) every single time. Timeka is also amazing. She knows my appointment preferences and always reaches out in a timely manner to help schedule my appointments.
How was your experience with Sue Ellen Carpenter at ACRM?
My experience is ongoing, but it's been a great one. We've had setbacks and we haven't had the results we want yet, but I'm confident in our plan and I always feel like I'm a participant in the plan vs. just a patient.
She's very, very smart. Ask as many questions as you'd like and she'll always be ready with an answer. She cares about you and your journey--never hesitate to reach out if you're feeling overwhelmed.
Our retrieval was antagonist protocol with birth control. 225 IU of Gonal + 1 vial of Menopur for 6 days. Then, on day 7 we added 0.25 of Cetrotide for 4 days. We did a Pregnyl trigger injection. We opted for ICSI and did genetic testing. We froze our embryos to test/let my body recover from stimulation. This protocol resulted in 15 eggs retrieved and 5 day 5 embryos frozen. Unfortunately, our first IVF round was unsuccessful. We did a uteran septum resection after our failed attempt and are now waiting to transfer our second embryo.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sue Ellen Carpenter at ACRM.
My retrieval was about $14K. Each transfer is about $4K. My insurance (BCBS) is not covered for blood work, so each time I needed in-house labs, the cost was several hundred dollars. Through my insurance, only 'diagnosis' codes are accepted. So, monitoring and consultations are copay only. But, anything beyond that is out of pocket.
ACRM and Dr. Carpenter encourage single emrbyo transfer.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
$60/visit. IUI approx. $3,000 each. Meds. $25 [costs at ACRM]...The clinic is great at scheduling people. The waiting room is never over crowded nor do you have to wait long. The care coordinators are responsive and caring. It would be great if the frozen sperm and IUI procedure were at the Johns Creek location vs going to the other office. I would have also prefer Dr. Carpenter to perform the IUI procedure instead of a doctor I never met.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with ACRM.
Dr. Carpenter was open and honest. She cares about her patients including their physical and mental well-being.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ACRM. (Assigned nurse: Timeka Carter)
Timeka is a good care coordinator. She always called back ina timely manner and was extremely fast when replying to emails. I did not have much interaction with my nurse. I did not have much interaction with
How was your experience with Sue Ellen Carpenter at ACRM?
Dr. Carpenter always offers both sides of the procedure(s), good and bad. You never feel rushed when talking to her. She refrains from offering personal advice. She always provides research based answers.
Look forward to being cared for by a Dr. who puts you first.
I had 3 IUI’s. I wanted to try to have a child using my own eggs. My ovarian reserve was slightly below normal, but all other tests were fine. She used Letrozole to increase the number of eggs produced, but each time I never had more than 2 well developed eggs released. I also used progesterone inserted vaginally. The end result was 2 negative results and 1 chemical miscarriage. I am now preparing for egg donor IVF. Before this happens, she recommended I have the fibroids removed. The surgery is tomorrow, 3/1/18.
$60/visit. IUI approx. $3,000 each. Meds. $25
It is my understanding the center will only emplaned one egg when using a donor. I feel we should have the option to use more than one.
Johns Creek
Strengths [at ACRM]-Multiple locations, Staff was good, stayed on top of everything as much as they could. Weakness-Doctor experience, Finance department...She [nurse] had everything in order but with the short time we were with ACRM there was more attitude then we needed during this rough time...We had to ask them for results every time. There strategy was if it isn't of a concern we aren't going to call you. With this being our first go around we wanted to know every detail.
Describe your experience with ACRM.
We found a few of both these during our short time with the clinic. Strengths-Multiple locations, Staff was good, stayed on top of everything as much as they could. Weakness-Doctor experience, Finance department
When we first met with the doctor she seemed very sweet, but she was quick to tell us we needed to do IVF and wanted to get the process started asap. Being this was our first clinic I wish we would have received a better consultation rather than a stack of papers.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ACRM. (Assigned nurse: Sherry)
She had everything in order but with the short time we were with ACRM there was more attitude then we needed during this rough time.
What specific things went wrong at ACRM?
How was your experience with Sue Ellen Carpenter at ACRM?
We felt like a number and a count in how many IVF cycles they would complete. Dr. Carpenter drew her chart with how the males body works and how the females body works. She did this to explain how everything works (lots of medical words) every time we met. I felt that was her go to. She was very sweet but didn't feel the compassion for such an emotional procedure. What pressed my button was when I saw her after my HSG at the perimeter location. The PA completed it and then when I walked out to pay I was surprised to see her there as I was told she wasn't available to complete my procedure. I was fine with it because I know their schedules are busy but when I said Hi, excited to see her....it was a wave without anything out of her mouth and like she was forced to say hello. As a doctor you would think she would care to say hi to her patients with a little bit more enthusiasm and care.
I would ask her to give you options and ask her to explain in detail the steps and how you can communicate with her through the process.
Unfortunately we didn't even get this far. After the HSG we were done with ACRM and decided to find another doctor and practice.
We didn't get that far.
Unfortunately not.
2008 - 2013
The clinic [ACRM] was peaceful, and I felt comfortable there. For me, with PCOS and being overweight, she really encouraged me to lose weight, and said I probably wouldn't need intervention if I did so. She was right twice. In my case, they did the bloodwork, and she did the ultrasounds. She put me on progesterone when I needed it, and that was about it. She asked about my family, and it always felt like catching up when I'd see her. When I went back to see her when I was trying for a second child, she basically told me I was textbook, and I knew what to do. She was right
2008 - 2013
Describe your experience with ACRM.
The clinic was peaceful, and I felt comfortable there.
I met when I was younger, when she was practicing as a reproductive endo, so there was familiarity there. She advised me to lose weight, but the way she did it was very clear. She showed me the chart about weight and successful treatment- and told me the number I had to be at for treatment. She was candid, but helpful. When I did lose the weight, and conceive, she checked me early on, despite me not actually needing medical intervention, she was always accessible.
How was your experience with Sue Ellen Carpenter at ACRM?
I found her to be very knowledgeable. Her passion is pgd. I really like her. She was warm, but also matter of fact. She asked about my family, and it always felt like catching up when I'd see her. When I went back to see her when I was trying for a second child, she basically told me I was textbook, and I knew what to do. She was right. Now that I'm trying for number 3, I haven't felt like I needed to go see her, because I do know what to do.
Atlanta Buckhead
2007 - 2016
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Carla [ACRM nurse] was great. She was very thorough when explaining the plan for my fertility journey from day one to the end of that cycle. She was available to take emails with questions & she responded quickly. She was great...For most of my treatment I had great insurance so there wasn't much cost of me at all. But the most recent insurance company wasn't so good so I paid out of pocket around $4000 total for my embryo transfer.
2007 - 2016
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with ACRM.
The clinic was great. It was very clean & organized. They were sure to keep your information & situation private.
She took the time to explain everything to me in detail, no matter how many times I asked.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ACRM. (Assigned nurse: Carla Fedigan)
Carla was great. She was very thorough when explaining the plan for my fertility journey from day one to the end of that cycle. She was available to take emails with questions & she responded quickly. She was great.
How was your experience with Sue Ellen Carpenter at ACRM?
She was amazing. She was very knowledgeable & took the time I needed every appointment. She explained everything in great detail & made sure I understood what was happening during every step of the journey.
Be sure to ask a lot of questions.
I took many rounds of Clomid & Letrozole to make me ovulate, I had day 3 baseline ultrasounds, then numerous other ultrasounds to see how my ovaries were responding. Then used Estrogen to help with my uterus lining so it would thicken up.
Johns Creek
Overall the office staff [ACRM- Johns Creek] is professional however they could be a little better at communicating and also having compassion. As the patient you must be your own advocate! The financial advisors could be a little more helpful as well....Dr. Carpenter made me feel like I mattered.... She emailed me and updated me personally as opposed to her office staff updating me. She called me herself to tell me that the transfer worked and that I was finally pregnant. I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Carpenter.
Describe your experience with ACRM.
Overall the office staff is professional however they could be a little better at communicating and also having compassion. As the patient you must be your own advocate! The financial advisors could be a little more helpful as well.
Dr. Carpenter made me feel like I mattered. She went out of her way to make sure I understood what was going on. She emailed me and updated me personally as opposed to her office staff updating me. She called me herself to tell me that the transfer worked and that I was finally pregnant. I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Carpenter.
Be your own advocate!
I did IVF and did a freeze all cycle because we genetically tested all embryos. We did an antagonist protocol. We used follistim, menopur, and cetrotide. Did a trigger shot then had the egg retrieval 36 hours later. About a month later we did a single embryo transfer and used estrace and progesterone to support the pregnancy. The transfer was successful and resulted in a healthy baby girl.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
The receptionist staff Answer emails efficiently. The scheduler schedules appointments efficiently. Each location [ACRM] has a very nice staff. Each staff has nice and clean facilities. Each appointment was organized and staff was helpful in telling patients where to go for what procedure.... 15,000 for retrieval and fresh transfer 5,000 for meds... [nurses] Timely, caring, perfect precision when drawing blood, nice
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with ACRM.
The receptionist staff Answer emails efficiently. The scheduler schedules appointments efficiently. Each location has a very nice staff. Each staff has nice and clean facilities. Each appointment was organized and staff was helpful in telling patients where to go for what procedure.
She explained the process and was honest about possible results.
Timely, caring, perfect precision when drawing blood, nice
How was your experience with Sue Ellen Carpenter at ACRM?
Very informative, honest, and caring. I had blocked tubes and slight PCOS, and she was very empathetic. When she explained everything and told us the price, we almost died of shock. I asked advice about traveling for cheaper treatments. She was not trying to steer us away from that option, but did warn of complications and worries about traveling. Ultimately, we saved money and went woth acrm! Totally worth it! 38 weeks pregnant with a baby girl!
She has a dry personality, but knows her stuff.
Stims Egg retrieval Fresh fransfer
15,000 for retrieval and fresh transfer 5,000 for meds
I really wanted two embryos transferred, but since I am pregnant with one, it is perfect!
2010 - 2011
I feel like everyone knew my case and treated me like an individual not just another patient... From bloodwork to ultrasounds to one on one doctor appointments I was SO pleased with ACRM.
2010 - 2011
I feel like everyone knew my case and treated me like an individual not just another patient. They cared and they were upset with me when I got a negative test. They also celebrated with me when I was finally pregnant. I was so scared and sad to leave ACRM and go back to the care of my OB when I was 10 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ACRM.
Just their care and compassion towards my situation.
How was your experience with Sue Ellen Carpenter at ACRM?
I loved everything about ACRM and Dr. Carpenter. Everyone was so friendly and patient. They were great at explaining my issues and what the plan was to help me get pregnant. From bloodwork to ultrasounds to one on one doctor appointments I was SO pleased with ACRM.
Be open to everything!