Southwest Fertility Center

Nurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolOsmani U.
602-956-7481
3125 N. 32nd St.
Phoenix, AZ 85018
602-956-7481
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Sujatha Gunnala to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 60%Neutral: 40%9
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Southwest Fertility Center to a friend?
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Our understanding is that this cycle plan [with Dr. Gunnala] was aggressive (to do the clomid challenge and an IUI in the same cycle) and that Dr. G did this because she knew we had a challenging time line with my partner's work/travel. The doctor had discovered that I had a small uterine polyp in my original work up (during the clomid challenge). She said this is not in and of itself a reason for infertility, but said it would be smart to remove it in case it is malignant or results in problems during an eventual pregnancy
How was your experience with Sujatha Gunnala at Southwest Fertility Center?
She was patient and seemed knowledgeable. She answered all our questions and was understanding about our special circumstances (partner travels for work which complicates this journey). She was direct as possible. I would like a clear reason why this isn't happening for us, but I'm not sure a clear reason exists. #infertility
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sujatha Gunnala at Southwest Fertility Center?
Make sure you write down questions before hand and take notes in your visit. I think this is important with all providers, but I think it's especially important in this office, not so much because of Dr. Gunnala, but to make sure what you understand is also what's communicated to the rest of the care team.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sujatha Gunnala at Southwest Fertility Center?
The people (MD, RNs, NPs etc.) were very caring and took our special case (my partner travels for work which complicates this journey) into account. However, the RNs consistently did not introduce themselves. I think it's a small enough clinic that they just forget who they have personally met and whose case they just know of. It felt odd to have a transvaginal ultrasound or be inseminated by someone whose first name you don't know! Otherwise, they were very kind and knowledgeable.
Describe the protocols Sujatha Gunnala used in your cycles at Southwest Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I came into her care at the end of a cycle with clomid (50mg) and an at home DIY IUI. She had me take a pregnancy test (neg) and set the course for cycle 2 (or 1.5 really). In that cycle, I took a "clomid challenge" so 100 mg clomid days 3-7 with an FSH test on day 3 and day 10. This was to test my ovarian reserve, since a previous blood test showed I had low a low AMH level. The "Clomid Challenge" seemed to go well, my numbers suggested that the AMH level was an outlier. I wish it were clearer to me if this means I am NOT diagnosed with low ovarian reserve. Dr. G said I only have 1/4 indicators so not to worry about this. Under the clomid challenge, I had 6 maturing eggs. The RN said I would likely ovulate cycle day 13 based on my ultrasound. This would be a very early ovulation for me, I usually ovulate cycle day 17-19. I did what looked to me like a surge on my OPK and went in for IUI on cycle day 12. I continued to take my BBT and noticed that, even by cycle day 16 my temp had not spiked. I called and insisted that they check to see if I had in fact ovulated. With some convincing, they agreed, and cycle day 17 they checked my progesterone. I had not ovulated! Cycle day 18 I went in for an ultrasound and more blood work. This showed that I was starting to ovulate, and that evening I felt some serious ovulation cramps. The ultrasound suggested I would ovulate with 4 eggs (thanks, clomid!). Cycle day 19 (and the day I had, through previous cycle monitoring, predicted I would ovulate) I went in for IUI #2. Unfortunately IUI 2 my partners #s were lower, 8.4 million post sperm wash, but it only takes 1 and I had 4 eggs, so you take what you can get! Unfortunately, that IUI did not take. I had a neg blood test cycle day 28 (10 days Post Ovulation and IUI#2). They had me take a second blood test cycle day 32 and I started my period Cycle day 33, with much sadness. Our understanding is that this cycle plan was aggressive (to do the clomid challenge and an IUI in the same cycle) and that Dr. G did this because she knew we had a challenging time line with my partner's work/travel. The doctor had discovered that I had a small uterine polyp in my original work up (during the clomid challenge). She said this is not in and of itself a reason for infertility, but said it would be smart to remove it in case it is malignant or results in problems during an eventual pregnancy (if it ever happens! please let it happen!). We had agreed to remove the polyp after the IUI cycle if it was unsuccessful. After this unsuccessful cycle, we realized that the cycle with the surgery would be a lost cycle (having been scraped of polyps, my uterus would most likely NOT be up for implantation). We also knew that we would be leaving town in April and unable to seek care from her or any other doctor (my partner travels for work, so we move about every 3 months, which complicates this journey). We asked if, given the size of the polyp and the complications of our calendar, we could try for another IUI cycle in March and then complete the polyp surgery in April, when the cycle would be lost to care anyway. The doctor declined this request. She felt the polyp needed to be removed. I had the polyp removed yesterday, I was out for the whole procedure and felt groggy but completely fine today. We are disappointed that we'll likely have to wait until May for any forward progress to continue, but understand why the doctor proceeded as she did.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southwest Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Lana)
The office seemed to suffer for lack of an office manager. We frequently had to call in to get even time test results (after being told we would receive a phone call). On one occasion they forgot to put my name on the schedule (although they accommodated me at the time I was told of my appointment anyway). I always have lots of questions and prefer when I'm given clear explanations that do not dismiss my concerns. Some nurses had a communication style that I think was meant to be caring and comforting ("honey stop worrying your little head about that, I can make babies in my sleep!") but I found belittling and dismissive. This was not my experience with all of the nursing staff, others were very direct, patient, and understanding.
Describe your experience with Southwest Fertility Center.
Strengths include you can call and ask questions and expect an answer that day or early the next day. You can also get in for appointments quickly and work within the unpredictable nature of your cycle. The weaknesses include some office organization and protocol. All staff should introduce themselves every time and we often had to call to get test results.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sujatha Gunnala at Southwest Fertility Center.
We spent about $2500 on our various tests, visits, and two IUIs.
Describe Sujatha Gunnala's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Southwest Fertility Center.
We did not do a embryo transfer, however we were told that if we had more than 4 eggs ovulate in a cycle, that they would not move forward with an IUI, even though they have the ability to "selectively reduce" implantations. We would have had LOTS of questions had that been the case.
What specific things went wrong at Southwest Fertility Center?
Phoenix
Dr. Gunnala does a very good job of communicating the rationale for her thought process regarding the treatment and the particular cause(s) for infertility. She has a warm bedside manner and is thorough but efficient. I always felt that I had enough time to discuss all of my questions. However, I'm not sure the success rates she proposed reflect reality. However, I think she might have glossed over certain details in an effort to follow our wishes. For example trying to maximize the success of the first transfer (IVF, ICSI, PGS, FET) without evaluating whether that would truly make a significant difference for us as a couple with unexplained infertility.
How was your experience with Sujatha Gunnala at Southwest Fertility Center?
She shared some of her fertility journey with me, seemed to really understand the emotional burden of infertility, and gave me and my husband a hug at the end of our first visit.
Natural cycle IUI which was unsucessful. IVF with ICSI and PGS planned.
Shelley and Agatha were both really approachable and compassionate, however, it didn't always seem like vital information was relayed.
Describe your experience with Southwest Fertility Center.
The physical building itself is outdated and not in the best condition, however, the staff has all been there for many years, works well together, and seems to genuinely care about their patients. I distinctly remember being in the lobby waiting for my appointment when I heard a couple that just finished with their appointment cracking up with the staff as they were checking out and when they walked out, they raved about the office to all of us in the waiting room.
My insurance covered very little. For one a hysteroscopy, IUI, approximately 4 ultrasounds, and multiple blood tests; I paid around $1500.
Strong preference for single embryo transfer to minimize the complications of pregnancy.
What specific things went wrong at Southwest Fertility Center?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Other
Dr G [Gunnala] is compassionate. She has an amazing bedside manner. She is smart and has been doing this along time. She comes across as strategic. She is gentle. What helps is that she says “when you are pregnant... this is the next step.” Not just— if you can get pregnant. In those little ways, her words give hope.... Dr G is a hands on person. She comforts you. She held my hand before surgery. She asked if I was understanding along the way. She doesn’t rush. She doesn’t make you feel like any questions are out of the norm. She reminds you to be a couple in love and not just two patients. She is amazing.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Other
How was your experience with Sujatha Gunnala at Southwest Fertility Center?
Dr G is compassionate. She has an amazing bedside manner. She is smart and has been doing this along time. She comes across as strategic. She is gentle. What helps is that she says “when you are pregnant... this is the next step.” Not just— if you can get pregnant. In those little ways, her words give hope.
Be committed to whatever she recommends (ie: diet, exercise, meds) as she is going off what info you share and she is trying her best to help you start a family. She can do her part, but yes u must do yours.
I am just in the beginning phases.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southwest Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Shelley Rosenthal)
Shelley is great! She is organized, consistent and straight forward.
Describe your experience with Southwest Fertility Center.
Fran at check in is wonderful! It feels small enough to be managed and you are not just a number. I wish it were closer to where I live (west valley) but I travel because they are the best. The practice may look a little old school but it’s kinda comforting you aren’t walking into a fancy office . You’re paying a lot of money to be there and something about the simplicity of it makes you feel better.
2011 - 2017
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
She [Dr. Gunnala] communicated very well what was going to happen, and expectations of what the treatments could offer...Be patient, at first she can seem very direct, but you learn as you go through the process that it is necessary...She was thorough, and always asked if I had any questions or whether I was uncomfortable. They [Southwest Fertility Center - Phoenix] were excellent. Always communicated well. Worked around my schedule and were always available...The clinic has the one fertility dr, and several nurses. The clinic works the same as described for the dr and nurses...The clinic is not close to my home, but is worth the drive for the experience she offers...Staff was very nice and accommodating...
2011 - 2017
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
How was your experience with Sujatha Gunnala at Southwest Fertility Center?
She communicated very well what was going to happen, and expectations of what the treatments could offer. She was thorough, and always asked if I had any questions or whether I was uncomfortable. The clinic is not close to my home, but is worth the drive for the experience she offers.
Staff was very nice and accommodating.
Clomid cycle, treated with progesterone, prescription prenatal vitamins, aspirin, COQ10.
They were excellent. Always communicated well. Worked around my schedule and were always available.
Describe your experience with Southwest Fertility Center.
Mostly just my copay. Sperm test was not covered but that was $80.
2011 - 2012
She [Dr. Gunnala] was so compassionate and caring. She encouraged me along the whole process was very honest with me... She was wonderful. She addressed all I’ve my concerns and questions. She cared about my well being and out embryos. She was very knowledgeable. She made sure we took ever step needed. She gave us the best possible outcome in regards to our embryos.... We did ivf. Started the medication. Did the egg retrieval and our embryos grew for 5 days. Two were transferred. 9 days later a positive pregnancy test
2011 - 2012
Trust her.
She was so compassionate and caring. She encouraged me along the whole process was very honest with me
Oh I don’t remember the medications. We did ivf. Started the medication. Did the egg retrieval and our embryos grew for 5 days. Two were transferred. 9 days later a positive pregnancy test
They were awesome!! Answers any silly questions I had.
Describe your experience with Southwest Fertility Center.
I think it was a well put together clinic everything was done in one place. Very clean and organized. Sterile rooms. Ultrasound equipment available on site. As well as labs so I didn’t have to travel somewhere else.
cost out of pocket was 20k except my husband at the time, his insurance covered it at 100%
She recommended two. I agreeed
2013
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Knows her stuff, wants fast results, very smart and up on the literature. Her nurses work directly w/ patients and are excellent.
2013
How was your experience with Sujatha Gunnala at Southwest Fertility Center?
knows her stuff, wants fast results, very smart and up on the literature. Her nurses work directly w/ patients and are excellent.
do everything she and her nurses instruct you do you. dont get discouraged
her honesty, warmth, compassion, friendliness, and knowledge