Texas Fertility Center

Nurse available by emailDoctor, Nurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolN. Eastern Ohio U.
ResidencyAkron Gen Med Ctr
FellowshipU. of Texas
18707 Hardy Oak Blvd
San Antonio, TX 78258
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Summer James to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Texas Fertility Center to a friend?
Dr. James always listened to my concerns (rational or not). She was patient in explaining the science behind her recommendations while also being open to explore options I requested... As someone pursuing becoming a single mother by choice, you don't have the benefit of having another person there to listen and process the same information received. That said, Dr. James managed to navigate the emotional waves I was going through while providing logical and scientific explanations (which I found very helpful since I am an analytical thinker that likes to process data). I found her to be very warm and compassionate without going overboard to a point where I wouldn't trust a doctor that didn't give it to me straight.
How was your experience with Summer James at Texas Fertility Center?
Hormonal treatments definitely affect how you process information. As someone pursuing becoming a single mother by choice, you don't have the benefit of having another person there to listen and process the same information received. That said, Dr. James managed to navigate the emotional waves I was going through while providing logical and scientific explanations (which I found very helpful since I am an analytical thinker that likes to process data). I found her to be very warm and compassionate without going overboard to a point where I wouldn't trust a doctor that didn't give it to me straight.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Summer James at Texas Fertility Center?
Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions or make requests regarding your care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Summer James at Texas Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Summer James used in your cycles at Texas Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Initially we used Clomid and upped the dosage with each cycle for IUI. When I experienced an ectopic pregnancy resulting in losing a tube, we moved on to injectible follistim. The benefit of moving onto injectibles fairly quickly is that we got to see how my body responded in the likelihood I needed to move on to IVF. By the time I decided to try IVF, my response to the medications was very predictable. While Dr. James was able to pretty accurately predict how many eggs we would retrieve and ultimately how many embryos there would be, we were both surprised that there were not more PGS tested normal embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: April Shadden)
All of the staff at TFC in San Antonio were attentive to my questions and timely with their responses. I also received call-backs and test results as promised.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
The clinic staff in San Antonio are very welcoming and you get to know them, and they get to know you. I absolutely did not feel like a number. I felt like everyone was on my team! Any issues that arose were timely resolved.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Summer James at Texas Fertility Center.
Fortunately, much of my care was covered by insurance. I recall ultrasounds being around $200/visit.
San Antonio
During the mid-cycle ultrasound she [Dr. James] decided she wanted our 2 follicles to grow two extra days before the trigger shot. This was the game changer. Those two extra days gave us the 2 large follicles and two smaller ones. 4 chances. Positive-Pregnant with Twins... She was one of the best Drs I've ever had in any specialty. She was the one to call and discuss results with us. When we finally got pregnant we got pregnant with twins, she was so happy for us. A few weeks later when we lost Baby B she was crushed by the news as well. She spent so much time making sure I was comfortable and was honest and helpful without sugar coating our situation. I know we wouldn't have our miracle baby without her hard work.
European, Other
How was your experience with Summer James at Texas Fertility Center?
GO TO HER! She will change your life for the better. We are so lucky we found her.
Every single member of her staff knew both myself and my husband by name. They were all cheering for us, they all knew and remembered all the details of our chart and our preferences. They were honest, aggressive with treatment options, and compassionate when we needed it most.
Cycle 1 - 5mg Femara, Ovidrel trigger shot. Lots of ultrasounds. Timed Intercourse. Negative. Cycle 2 - Repeat Cycle 1, cancelled due to lump in breast. Cycle 3 - 7.5mg Femara, Ovidrel trigger shot. Lots of Ultrasounds, Timed Intercourse. Negative. Cycle 4 - 12.5mg Femara, Ovidrel trigger shot, sperm wash, IUI #1. Negative Cycle 5 - 12.5mg Femara, Ovidrel trigger shot, sperm wash, IUI #2. During the mid-cycle ultrasound she decided she wanted our 2 follicles to grow two extra days before the trigger shot. This was the game changer. Those two extra days gave us the 2 large follicles and two smaller ones. 4 chances. Positive-Pregnant with Twins.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Sharon )
They went to bat for us with the insurance, they let us come in to do the trigger shot so we wouldn't have to do it ourselves, they asked questions about our life and genuinely cared for us.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
This was our first and only experience with a fertility Dr and we had lots of questions and they took tons of time to make us as comfortably as possible. They gave us hope and they delivered. Above and beyond.
That was the best part. The first three cycles we paid about $1800 apiece. My husbands job switched insurance at the beginning of the year and Nora was able to negotiate with our insurance to get our IUI's covered. It was $150 for the IUI instead of $1800 for Timed Intercourse.
Anovulation, Other
Dr. James was to the point without making me feel like she was short. There wasn't a lot of fluff in our communication, but I felt like she always addressed my concerns, needs and questions. I felt extremely comfortable with her and felt as though she was incredibly knowledgeable. I never felt stupid asking questions or having her reiterate information.
Anovulation, Other
How was your experience with Summer James at Texas Fertility Center?
I think I would give the same advise to anyone going to a fertility doctor - be patient and don't get discouraged if the treatments don't work the first, second or third time (or more). We swore our fourth cycle wasn't going to work and I was extremely frustrated. Low and behold, it worked and we will be having a little girl in a few months!
Every visit, she remember exactly what we discussed on the previous visit. She even remembered personal things we mentioned outside of the fertility process. She sat down with us an answered every question we had without making us feel rushed. Appointments also started exactly on time.
I had been to two other doctors previously and had been struggling to get pregnant for about a year and a half before seeing Dr. James. The previous doctors had perscribed Clomid and it didn't work. After running a lot of tests, Dr. James put me on Femara combined with Ovidril shots. The first cycle only produced one egg (I believe it was 2 Femara pills/day), the second cycle produced 2 eggs (3 Femara pills/day), the third cycle produced 6 eggs which caused us to make the decision to skip the trigger shot (4 Femara pills/day) and the final cycle (2.5 Femara pills/day) produced 1 large egg and eventually a baby!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: April )
April followed up on every visit by calling or emailing (especially when she had to email me to remind me the exact steps of treatments for that cycle). She called to give me my lab results and pregnancy status. I always felt like I could call her and ask her any question. She also always asked us about our week or weekend. When I got a positive pregnancy result, she called to let me know and seemed really excited to tell me the good news.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
This clinic is clean and quiet. There are two main exam rooms so it doesn't get very crowded. They also seem to have every magazine subscription there is!
Every visit, especially when I had to get an ultrasound, was $204. When I found out I was pregnant and had ultrasounds with the baby, the price when up to about $335. The initial consultation was somewhere around $350. In total, we probably spent a total of $3K once you add up all of the blood work, office visits and prescriptions.
San Antonio
She [Dr. Summer James] is brisk, but she never treated me as if I was unintelligent and was always willing to go over things until full understanding was reached. She accepts calls after hours that were not strictly emergency and was kind and professional even though she was off work for the day... While doing an iui with injectables Dr. James did ultrasounds fairly frequently and would adjust dosage based on what your body was actually doing. It can be more expensive, but Dr. James’ goal is a safe singleton pregnancy.
How was your experience with Summer James at Texas Fertility Center?
She is brisk, but she never treated me as if I was unintelligent and was always willing to go over things until full understanding was reached. She accepts calls after hours that were not strictly emergency and was kind and professional even though she was off work for the day.
Ask questions, and bring a notepad to write down the treatment plan as you go.
She remembered my name when I came back 3 years later to attempt child number 2.
The staff was friendly and when I had to bring my first child with me to ultrasounds for my second iui they were helpful when I needed to reassure my child.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
It was easy to get appointments scheduled, and they would work with your schedule. A clean office that is friendly understanding. I had great experience here and would definitely recommend them to anyone who is trying to grow their family.
Central Austin
She [Dr. Summer James] sat down with us and explained fertility A-Z without making you feel incompetent or incomplete for having issues. She gave us a very personalized plan of care and explained all our options clearly. I never felt rushed or pressured.... She was extremely knowledgeable, warm, and compassionate. I felt very comfortable and cried when it was time to go back to my OB because she made it all possible. She had a great sense of humor and beside manner that made you trust her.
How was your experience with Summer James at Texas Fertility Center?
Go with an open mind and think through all the options presented.
She sat down with us and explained fertility A-Z without making you feel incompetent or incomplete for having issues. She gave us a very personalized plan of care and explained all our options clearly. I never felt rushed or pressured.
We completed the HSG to determine no blockages prior to any treatment. We did one cycle with Clomid and trigger shot. We opted to go with the IUI to increase our odds.
Always friendly and with a smile. They greeted me by name and were so excited when we found out we were expecting twins.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
Very clean relaxed atmosphere with WiFi available. Easily accessible in the stone oak area. The staff are all very friendly and can help answer your questions. It was easy to schedule and call to reschedule as needed. Dr. James even came in on the weekend when it was needed for my cycle.
San Antonio
Dr James does speak fast but she will always find a way to break anything down that we didn't understand fully. When we had our miscarriage we sat down with Dr James for over an hour talking about past losses and what we should do next. Dr James has always done every procedure I've attended...Dr James spoke with me about anything I questioned. She reassured me but was firm and didn't try to hide anything. I never felt rushed...
How was your experience with Summer James at Texas Fertility Center?
Don't feel rushed by the fact she speaks fast. She will break anything down for you and will never rush you or make your questions seem small. She is straight forward and to the point, she won't take you anywhere she feels won't work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: April)
April was great at relaying lab results with me and compassionate when she didn't have good news. She throughly explained everything she could. I can be an impatient person and I have called to check on lab results. Not once was I made to feel like a burden when calling about a lab result or any other questions.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
The staff is wonderful. The office has everything needed for all procedures. The only thing I've heard some offices have that this one doesn't is a lab.
2010 - 2012
She [Dr. James] hugged me when I cried and was so incredibly happy for us once I was pregnant. I also never felt judged by my size.... Extremely knowledgeable and she is able to teach us through drawing pictures, research articles and handouts. She was always prepared with new information each visit. I think her approach is on the aggressive side. If she tried a med or technique for 3 cycles without success she pushed to move to the next level of treatment.
2010 - 2012
How was your experience with Summer James at Reproductive Gynecology?
Extremely knowledgeable and she is able to teach us through drawing pictures, research articles and handouts. She was always prepared with new information each visit. I think her approach is on the aggressive side. If she tried a med or technique for 3 cycles without success she pushed to move to the next level of treatment. Great bedside manner. The only thing I can think of that might be negative to some is that if she wasn’t working when it was time to ovulate I saw another doctor. That didn’t bother me because the practice made sure you meet all of the doctors at some point.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Summer James at Reproductive Gynecology?
Trust her. She does ALL the research for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Summer James at Reproductive Gynecology?
She hugged me when I cried and was so incredibly happy for us once I was pregnant. I also never felt judged by my size. Gowns and drapes fit me
Sweetest women ever. They listen to your fears and rub your back when you cry. I never felt rushed to leave or alone.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Gynecology.
It’s beautiful inside. You feel like you are in a high end salon in the waiting room. Treatment rooms are very clean. The staff is kind. I remember being thankful that the magazine were all fashion or food. Seeing parenting and Mom mags were so upsetting to me at the time. Everything is very thought out.
Reproductive Gynecology