Shady Grove Fertility

Waldorf
3010 Crain Highway
Waldorf, MD 20601
301.705.9923
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Sunita Kulshrestha to a friend?

6.6

Good

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility to a friend?
My husband suffers from male factor infertility. Dr. K [Kulshrestha] recommended he take vitamins (conception XR Theralogix). ... Dr.K is a very knowledgeable and compassionate doctor. Before each procedure she always draws a diagram of what will occur. We like it because we can know what to anticipate. She also explains any possible side effects that could occur during the procedure. She is honest but very reassuring and positive regarding any of the procedures.
How was your experience with Sunita Kulshrestha at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr.K is a very knowledgeable and compassionate doctor. Before each procedure she always draws a diagram of what will occur. We like it because we can know what to anticipate. She also explains any possible side effects that could occur during the procedure. She is honest but very reassuring and positive regarding any of the procedures. Lastly, the best thing is she always welcomes you with a smile. She is extremely kind and always makes you feel like you are her only patient.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sunita Kulshrestha at Shady Grove Fertility?
Make sure to book your appointments well in advance. She is very popular and can get booked up quickly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sunita Kulshrestha at Shady Grove Fertility?
The staff is incredibly kind. The nurse we have been given is always willing to answer phone calls and emails. They try to work with us in any way they can. The doctor is very honest and always tells us what to expect. She is very sweet and you can tell she cares about her patience's.
Describe the protocols Sunita Kulshrestha used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
My husband suffers from male factor infertility. Dr. K recommended he take vitamins (conception XR Theralogix). The vitamins helped increase his semen sample and give it a thinner viscosity. His numbers did rise which was great. She recommended natural cycle IUI treatments. We did 5 IUI cycles all of which failed. She gave us the option to try IVF right after the 5th one but we asked to do a 6th cycle. She complied but unfortunately it did not take. Now we are working towards IVF treatments. I have been put on birth control to prevent any abscess growths on my ovaries.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Alexis Jordan)
Alexis has been wonderful through out this whole process. Every single email I write or phone call I make she responds too. She knows this is a difficult process and never pushes anything on us. Whenever she can she finds a way to find us a discount or coupon towards our medications. There was a time when I was very down and emotional. She told me I could take the time I needed to heal. She also said the team and herself were there to get us through this. She truly a sweet person and we are so lucky she is our nurse!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic in Waldorf is small so they do not do IVF there but they can perform IUI's, sonograms, and blood work. For larger procedure there are several other offices you can go to such as Rockville and Fairfax. The facilities there are also very nice and calming. Everything is always extremely clean and very pleasant. They are also typically quiet and peaceful which is nice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sunita Kulshrestha at Shady Grove Fertility.
Each IUI was around $300. For IVF we qualified for one of their 50/50 programs. We get up to 6 cycles from this program. However, if at any time we decide to stop treatments the procedure does not work we will receive our money back. The medications are not included in this procedures. The nurse gave us to different pharmacies which happen to be rivals. They also helped us get discounts for the medications required.
Describe Sunita Kulshrestha's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
We are going to try for a single embryo transfer which I am comfortable with.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Shady Grove Fertility
Waldorf

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sunita Kulshrestha at Shady Grove Fertility.

Dr. K[ulshrestha] was absolutely amazing. She was very kind and genuinely seemed invested in our family creation. She answered our questions, was very personable, gentle and respectful. She genuinely seemed just as disappointed when we didn't get pregnant with IUI and she also appeared to try everything she could with clomid stimulation to assist...Dr. K also did two saline sonograms to ensure my uterine cavity was normal. I had an HSG prior to starting w/ Dr. K and at the time, my tubes were open and the dye passed through without incident.
How was your experience with Sunita Kulshrestha at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
To be honest, it was great to work with a physician who identifies as a woman. We feel comfortable at Shady Grove however, all the doctors are male while all the nurses are female. It was nice to have a woman who was kind, gentle and knowledgeable. She was truly wonderful and I wish we had the opportunity to work with her when we transitioned to IVF. Dr. K relocated to the Maryland office after our last round of IVF. We saw Dr. Martin after that who is also great (I did a review for him already). After we lost our twin daughters (Dr. Martin did that embryo transfer), both he AND Dr. K called me to express their condolences. That meant a lot and showed that even though I wasn't currently a patient of hers (because she had relocated), she was still keeping an eye on my treatment and invested in our success. I absolutely adore Dr. K.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sunita Kulshrestha at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
It's ok to be vulnerable. Ask your questions and trust that she will spend the necessary time with you to make sure you feel as comfortable as possible when leaving the office.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sunita Kulshrestha at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Dr. K was absolutely amazing. She was very kind and genuinely seemed invested in our family creation. She answered our questions, was very personable, gentle and respectful. She genuinely seemed just as disappointed when we didn't get pregnant with IUI and she also appeared to try everything she could with clomid stimulation to assist.
Describe the protocols Sunita Kulshrestha used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
We did the IUI portion of our treatment with Dr. K. Initially, I think we just did the monitoring with no additional stimulation. We eventually added the clomid at 50 mg and towards the end, increased it to 100 mg. I believe I also did birth control protocol prior to starting the clomid 100 mg on our last 2 tries. Monitoring was every other day or everyday as we got closer to insemination. Dr. K also did two saline sonograms to ensure my uterine cavity was normal. I had an HSG prior to starting w/ Dr. K and at the time, my tubes were open and the dye passed through without incident.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Daniella Pellicioti)
Daniela had her challenges in that she sometimes seemed a bit scattered. Initially, I was not a huge fan because of this. Having said that, Daniela was actually my FAVORITE nurse. She too, left the agency towards the end of our IUI trials but she was present for all of our inseminations. When we had a IUI w/ a different doctor, she was in the room and she really went to bat for me when I had a narrowing of the cervix. The doc (Dr. Munabi) attempted to use dilators which was extremely painful and Daniela really was amazing with me and him. She advocated for me, helped to calm me and genuinely made me feel like she had my back. I really valued her for all she did.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
As mentioned in my other review (of Dr. Martin), Shady Grove Fertility (SGF) is a very well-run, well-organized facility. The staff is kind, personable, friendly and knowledgeable. Though you have a primary physician, all of the doctors tend to make you feel very comfortable and cared for. I don't have any other facility to compare it to however, sharing stories with other people having fertility challenges, I am very grateful for feeling like a human rather than a number more often than not. The one issue I have with SGF is their shared risk program. It's a great option but they do not do an efficient job at talking to you about what constitutes dis-enrollment from the program. We felt extremely blindsided by this decision from the review board and felt like they did not take into account that we experienced a loss and that grief can effect med response. Instead, we were put in a situation where we have to make very difficult decisions about moving forward because of the financial burden. I will say that through this hard time, my doctors have been kind and understanding. The decision seems to be above their heads and I think it would be helpful for there to be some kind of appeals process.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sunita Kulshrestha at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
We exclusively did IUI with Dr. K. We paid for our co-pays and for the medication. I estimate we spent between $300-$400 total on those expenses.
Describe Sunita Kulshrestha's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Dr. K had conversations with us twice about the possibility of multiples. On our last two tries of IUI, I made 8 eggs and 7 eggs (with the clomid for both). She spoke to us about eSET from a safety perspective. We were honestly a bit uncomfortable with this idea and didn't know what we would do if I did get pregnant with more than two babies. I didn't want to risk the entire pregnancy by doing the reduction procedure. When I worked with Dr. K, it was not IVF so the embryo transfer was not the issue. It was whether all the eggs I made actually fertilized.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia
Center City

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sunita Kulshrestha at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.

Dr K. [Kulshrestha] was there for me every step of the way. One example: the nurse told me I would probably need a frozen transfer and I completely broke down in tears. Minutes later, Dr. K herself called me (well after 5pm) to talk through it and reassure me we would do everything possible to have a fresh transfer...Dr. Kulshretha treats every patient like her top priority. She tells you what she thinks is best, listens to your concerns, and works with you to make the treatment be as best as it can for you. She never rushes you, and is always aware of your treatment. She'll let you know if another physician will be monitoring you for a particular day.
Allow her to get close with you. Think of her as a good friend. It will help her be on your page for treatment.
Dr K. was there for me every step of the way. One example: the nurse told me I would probably need a frozen transfer and I completely broke down in tears. Minutes later, Dr. K herself called me (well after 5pm) to talk through it and reassure me we would do everything possible to have a fresh transfer. She still checks in on me and has met the baby a couple times!
Im sorry but I dont remember specifics. I took 3 shots a day, 1 in the am and 1 in the pm. Egg retrieval, day-5 fresh embryo transfer. Continued endometrin for a long time into the pregnancy...
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Daniella - not with practice anymore)
I recently met the new nursing staff and believe they are very kind and experienced. I have not yet undergone treatment with them so cannot comment.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Does not allow children in office - personally I think that's important in a clinic. Small location - you will know all the staff (I love Haley, the girl that takes your blood) You will have to go to Chesterbrook for the procedures and on weekends
Did a SET (she felt very strongly about it). The embryo split into two (identical twins) but I lost one.
Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia