U. of Chicago
UCLA

Susan Sarajari works at

10215 Fernwood Road
Bethesda, MD 20817

Dr. Sarajari recommended we do IVF within six months after seeing mine and my husband's diagnostic test results...recommended we use ICSI for fertilization, which resulted in 100% of our eggs being fertilized...She strongly recommended we do single transfer...always took the time to answer my questions (and invite questions as well). She made me feel that she was invested in my treatment and my success... I emailed her my concerns one night at 11:45pm, and she called me back personally at 9:15am the next morning, waited patiently for me to conference in my husband, and helped us talk through our options. I know that this included some information she'd told us before, but she still took the time to rehash it for us. It helped us make the most informed decision and made us feel empowered and confident that we were doing so.
How was your experience with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
I was randomly assigned to Dr. Sarajari when I decided to pick Dominion Fertility - I am glad that I was! Of all the doctors (who are all very kind), I always felt the most comfortable with her. I like to know and understand all details, so I had a fair amount of questions. She always took the time to answer them, and she also gave me her email address to contact her when my husband and I were wrestling with doing IUI or IVF. I emailed her my concerns one night at 11:45pm, and she called me back personally at 9:15am the next morning, waited patiently for me to conference in my husband, and helped us talk through our options. I know that this included some information she'd told us before, but she still took the time to rehash it for us. It helped us make the most informed decision and made us feel empowered and confident that we were doing so.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
If you're like me and need to know every detail - I'd always make sure to have a notepad with you. And, when asking questions, I found it very helpful to have them at hand for a productive conversation. I think this would apply to most doctors though!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Sarajari always took the time to answer my questions (and invite questions as well). She made me feel that she was invested in my treatment and my success.
Describe the protocols Susan Sarajari used in your cycles at Dominion Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr. Sarajari recommended we do IVF within six months after seeing mine and my husband's diagnostic test results. We waited on it (last ditch effort to try naturally) for three months, then started on Estrace, Gonal F (Follistim), Menopur and Ganirelax. My trigger shot was Lupron. Dr. Sarajari recommended we use ICSI for fertilization, which resulted in 100% of our eggs being fertilized. So far, that's where we are in the process!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Holli Simon)
I have said on more than one occasion that I wouldn't be able to go through IVF without Holli! She is patient, thorough, accessible, and kind. You can't really ask for anything more. It is very evident (and so very appreciated) that she cares about her patients. I went through IVF during a particularly busy time of the year for Dominion and she still got back to me in a timely manner when I had questions (a lot of them) and helped coordinate every detail.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The staff is very friendly here. And competent (which sounds like a given, but at many doctor's offices sometimes I wonder). I never have to worry that I will not receive a call back when I have to leave the nurse or finance dept a message. One thing I think that is unique to Dominion is that the offer an in-home injection teaching. My coordinator sat with me and my husband for +1 hour at our kitchen table teaching us how to mix the meds, practice using the needle with a tester to get a feel for things. As someone nervous with needles, this was HUGE. Dominion clearly cares about their patients and staff - we had a big snowstorm in DC one weekend, and they put up their staff at the hotel across the street so there'd be no chance they'd miss work! Another strength of Dominion is that they have a very knowledgeable finance department. Critical when undertaking a large financial commitment like IVF. They helped battle my insurance on multiple occasions - even getting on a three-way call with me and them a few times to resolve matters. My only criticism (which honestly is slight) is that sometimes the morning monitoring hours can feel like a revolving door. With so many people coming in and out, the time with the doctors can be very fast. You need to speak up and ask question (how am I progressing, how many follicles do you see) otherwise you may not have a ton of information volunteered for you. Also, my retrieval fell on a Sunday AM, so my doctor was not there to do the procedure as I had hoped. I imagine that would have been different if it was on a week day.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Dominion Fertility.
Monitoring was relatively efficient. A few times it was busy (for example for people arriving the last ~20 min of the weekend AM window), but most of the time I was in and out in about 30-40 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility.
Under my insurance (so far!) costs have been about $5k to the clinic and $500 for meds (but we've reached our max for fertility drugs). We will incur additional fees for genetic testing (TBD). Since more drugs will be out of pocket, Dominion said they'd help me shop around for the best prices.
Describe Susan Sarajari's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dominion Fertility.
She strongly recommended we do single transfer
Arlington
Treated 2020
I have only had one introductory call with Dr. Sarajari so far, but she took a lot more time than my other doctors to explain my options and provide suggestions. She suggested I get another diagnostic test done, which ended up being really helpful. I felt respected, heard, and not rushed when I spoke with her...I felt like a human because she spent a good amount of time and did not rush me into a decision, which would have felt like I was just another number to her.
I have only spoken to a couple nurses on the phone [at Dominion Fertility], but they were very helpful!...they impressed me immediately. Despite everything going on with the caronavirus, I received a call from the doctor two days after requesting one. They seemed organized and uploaded my previous labs quickly so she had them available to review. Someone proactively reached out to ensure they had the correct forms. The financial adviser is quite nice, but not incredibly flexible. I was hoping to donate eggs while doing egg freezing for my own use, and she seemed uncomfortable with asking the doctor or donor coordinator whether that was possible. She suggested I call the donor coordinator myself, but seemed discouraging. Considering how expensive egg freezing is, I wished she had been more encouraging in trying to find creative ways to financially access expensive treatment.
Ask all your questions!
I have not reached this point, but she ordered another blood panel because she wanted to double check them before going forward. I liked that because it didn't feel rushed.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Dominion Fertility.
I have only spoken to a couple nurses on the phone, but they were very helpful!
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Although I am new to this clinic, they impressed me immediately. Despite everything going on with the caronavirus, I received a call from the doctor two days after requesting one. They seemed organized and uploaded my previous labs quickly so she had them available to review. Someone proactively reached out to ensure they had the correct forms. The financial adviser is quite nice, but not incredibly flexible. I was hoping to donate eggs while doing egg freezing for my own use, and she seemed uncomfortable with asking the doctor or donor coordinator whether that was possible. She suggested I call the donor coordinator myself, but seemed discouraging. Considering how expensive egg freezing is, I wished she had been more encouraging in trying to find creative ways to financially access expensive treatment.
NA - I am gathering the details now.
Washington DC

Treated 2018 - 2019
Every question was always answered [by Dr. Sarajari]. She provided very detailed explanations of every process. I met with her at every visit. She examined me at every visit. She did not hesitate in recommending we move on to IVF given our diagnoses. She did not waste our time or money with interventions that were not likely to work...Our plan is to do an egg retrieval and freeze for future use with frozen embryo transfer.
There are three facilities in the area [for Dominion Fertility] and only the Arlington office is available for weekend and holiday monitoring. Arlington starts at 6:30 during the week and the other two offices start at 7. You will have to pay for parking at the Bethesda office. Strengths: they get you in and out in a timely manner. Weaknesses: appointment options can be limited if you need an early appointment.
How was your experience with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
Every question was always answered. She provided very detailed explanations of every process. I met with her at every visit. She examined me at every visit. She did not hesitate in recommending we move on to IVF given our diagnoses. She did not waste our time or money with interventions that were not likely to work.
Bring questions that you have and write them down before appointments.
Dr. Sarajari is the only doctor to see me at this practice. She is thorough and provides information regarding every step of the process.
I am just starting my first IVF cycle with Dr. Sarajari. Our plan is to do an egg retrieval and freeze for future use with frozen embryo transfer. I will have a couple of weeks on birth control pills to get my body back to baseline before starting the medications needed to do the transfer. She supported my and my husband’s decision to have him freeze sperm prior to starting secondary to him having extremely low normal morphology. We wanted to make sure there some good ones available prior to my surgery.
Our care coordinator is excellent. She is always available by email or phone. She updates us on test results promptly. She is empathetic to our needs and concerns.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
There are three facilities in the area and only the Arlington office is available for weekend and holiday monitoring. Arlington starts at 6:30 during the week and the other two offices start at 7. You will have to pay for parking at the Bethesda office. Strengths: they get you in and out in a timely manner. Weaknesses: appointment options can be limited if you need an early appointment.
$10,000. This included out of pocket max that remained for the year, as well as a few items that were not covered by insurance.
For our age we will be doing a single embryo transfer. I am 31, so I support this plan.
Bethesda
There are times the doctors travel between their multiple offices, and you may have to wait a few minutes, but she [Dr. Sarajari] is worth the wait... was the first doctor to explain things to me in a way that felt not only healing, but manageable. She was an answer to many worries and frustrations...makes us feel heard and valued. When she discovered my uterine fibroids or polyps (still waiting for the surgery/results), it was a busy day and I know she had other places to be, but she sat with me and my husband and very empathetically answered all of our questions and calmed our concerns. I'm sure the same will continue as we move on to our next steps.
any blood draws, monitoring, or discussions with the nurses [at Dominion Fertility- Bethesda] has been so wonderful. I really enjoy each of them. All of them have been compassionate, and eager to help in anyway...We are hoping to do the guaranteed program which is about 26k, includes many things, but medications and such are outside of this cost... Overall, we are very satisfied and feel like we are in good hands.
How was your experience with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Sarajari has been extremely beneficial to me and my husband. We are still waiting to start IVF, but trust we are in good/capable hands. I was frustrated and bummed and honestly scared about so many things before our first consult, but when you walk into the office there is a sign that says, "the only thing strong than fear is hope," and from the first handshake with Dr. Sarajari her hope was contagious. Dr. Sarajari is a compassionate expert who makes us feel heard and valued. When she discovered my uterine fibroids or polyps (still waiting for the surgery/results), it was a busy day and I know she had other places to be, but she sat with me and my husband and very empathetically answered all of our questions and calmed our concerns. I'm sure the same will continue as we move on to our next steps.
Be patient. There are times the doctors travel between their multiple offices, and you may have to wait a few minutes, but she is worth the wait.
Dr. Sarajari was the first doctor to explain things to me in a way that felt not only healing, but manageable. She was an answer to many worries and frustrations.
We are at the very beginning phases and waiting for all of this info for our particular case.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Holli)
So far it everything for our situation is in the initial stages, but any blood draws, monitoring, or discussions with the nurses has been so wonderful. I really enjoy each of them. All of them have been compassionate, and eager to help in anyway.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The doctors and nurses I have worked with are wonderful. They each take time to make you feel at ease, and cared for. The office staff is also wonderful and organized. If I need to be constructive and provide an area for growth/weakness...we did had a few issues with the billing department. In my opinion, they were very minor and nothing that would make us choose another practice. Overall, we are very satisfied and feel like we are in good hands.
I believe this clinic prefers eSET, but I am new to the process.
Treated 2016
Dr. Sarajari did not want to perform IVF until I was in better health physically...We opted for natural cycle IVF since my menses are regular...was very pleasant with us but also blunt and straight to the point. She listened to my concerns to help us make educated decisions. Once pregnant, she allowed me to stay in here care a little longer while I continued my search for an OB/GYN. Dr. Sarajari’s bedside manner is professional and warm.
Weakness [at Dominion Fertility]: very busy so you may not always be with your doctor as long as you'd like. May wait a few minutes longer than expected. Strengths: organized, friendly staff and nurses. Overall I'd refer others to DF and I actually have in the last three years since giving birth...She [nurse] was always pleasant and professional. Other nurses I've met briefly or spoken to on the phone were also pleasant and professional...
How was your experience with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
I honestly cannot think of any weaknesses displayed by Dr. Sarajari. Her facility is very busy and did a great job of not rushing through our appointments. Most Dr’s are not very compassionate and that's understandable because they must remain objective. Dr. Sarajari is pleasant and east to converse with.
Come prepared with questions and concerns.
Dr. Sarajari was very pleasant with us but also blunt and straight to the point. She listened to my concerns to help us make educated decisions. Once pregnant, she allowed me to stay in here care a little longer while I continued my search for an OB/GYN. Dr. Sarajari’s bedside manner is professional and warm.
When my blood tests revealed that I was hypothyroid, she had me retest to be sure. I was then put on a three month plan to treat the disease. We were not able to move forward until the three months and I has more bloodwork completed. My sonogram showed growths within my uterus so she referred me to have a hysteroscopy performed. Once both issues we're treated, we moved forward with natural-cycle IVF. Dr. Sarajari did not want to perform IVF until I was in better health physically
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility.
She was always pleasant and professional. Other nurses I've met briefly or spoken to on the phone were also pleasant and professional.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Weakness: very busy so you may not always be with your doctor as long as you'd like. May wait a few minutes longer than expected. Strengths: organized, friendly staff and nurses. Overall I'd refer others to DF and I actually have in the last three years since giving birth.
We spent approximately $13,000
We opted for natural cycle IVF since my menses are regular. NCIVF uses less or no hormonal medications. Decreases the chance of multiple births. One egg is retrieved for fertilization.
Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr Sarajari was very caring and was available by phone and email when I needed...was very compassionate and did take a vested interest in my care. We just had too many setbacks. It would have helped if they spent more time trying to see why things were not working vs just continuing to try...We did natural cycle IVF which worked well for me vs simulated IVF. However, no pregnancy resulted. Also we did donor eggs but all the transfer failed.
Monitoring at this location [Dominion Fertility - Bethesda] was very convenient as it was not that busy...Costs at Dominion were reasonable compared to other clinics... The weakness here was that when things were not working they did not spend time trying to figure out why as much as they should have. We might have saved some failed transfers then...Natalie [nurse] was great and walked me through the process every time. She was also really good about keeping in touch via emails.
How was your experience with Susan Sarajari at Dominion Fertility?
Dr Sarajari was very compassionate and did take a vested interest in my care. We just had too many setbacks. It would have helped if they spent more time trying to see why things were not working vs just continuing to try
If treatment is not working, just spend time analyzing why vs continuing to try
Dr Sarajari was very caring and was available by phone and email when I needed. That is not the case with most doctors. The clinic did have a vested interest in me but for us things just did not work out
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalie Sofia)
Natalie was great and walked me through the process every time. She was also really good about keeping in touch via emails.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Dominion is less of a factory and more compassionate (vs like Shady Grove). I did really enjoy being their patient. I just wish we had better luck. The weakness here was that when things were not working they did not spend time trying to figure out why as much as they should have. We might have saved some failed transfers then.
Monitoring at this location was very convenient as it was not that busy.
Costs at Dominion were reasonable compared to other clinics