Medical SchoolAlbert Einstein
ResidencyRWJ Rutgers
FellowshipRWJ Rutgers
4600 Hale Pkwy #350
Denver, CO 80220
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Susan Trout to a friend?

7.2

5.3

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Susan Trout at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology?
My experience is unique in that I have been a patient of Dr. Trout's for a year for infertility, but have not started interventions yet. My husband and I first scheduled an appointment with her after we hid the one-year mark of trying without success. Then, I got pregnant and miscarried early. We went back and Dr. Trout did some tests and diagnosed me with PCOS. She suggested medicated IUI. We were saving up for that when I got pregnant again. This time it was an ectopic pregnancy and I lost my right tube. We are going to pursue IVF next.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Susan Trout at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology?
She can talk around direct questions, so if you really want an answer on a specific question, be very direct.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Susan Trout at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology?
Dr. Trout is not exactly warm, but she does make you feel confident in her assessments. She takes the time to talk with you in-person and I know she personally reads the messages I've sent to the clinic.
It's hit or miss. There is one nurse who is absolutely amazing. She's smart, direct and specific with her instructions. She answers questions thoroughly and doesn't rush you off the phone. However, there is another nurse who I had to ask not to work with any longer. She was abrupt and rude when I was telling her I had an ectopic pregnancy because I hadn't informed them sooner (um, sorry, i was having emergency surgery).
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
The office manager, who handles billing, is a bad communicator and seems incredibly disorganized. For example, she informed us that our insurance would not cover a semen analysis, so we paid out of pocket because that was our 'cheaper option'. So we were surprised to get an EOB from our insurance for it that showed that they covered the cost! I think it was an honest error, and they were quick to refund us, but it was a hassle that could have been avoided with more attention to detail. It didn't give us much faith in her interpretation of our insurance coverage. So, if you use this clinic, verify everything the clinic says with your insurance directly!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Susan Trout at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
Consultations were around $200 Genetic tests were in the thousands, but our insurance covered them. Dr. Trout said they would be "a few hundred" but when we got our EOB, they were almost $10,000 for two of us.
Denver

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Susan Trout at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.

Our first visit with Dr Trout was about one year from our first attempts to concieve naturally. We had a LOT of questions, since we were relatively new to this process. She was very patient with us and answered our many questions with an appropriate level of detail. My wife and I got the sense that Dr Trout genuinely likes reproductive endocrinology, but just as importantly, enjoys helping people through their journey. Although Dr Trout did not personally administer the tests or procedures that we explored, we felt that she always had time for us whenever we needed counsel or information.
I would advise anyone seeing Dr Trout to be an information sponge. Get informed. Do a little research on your own, come with questions, and be prepared for answers. Along these lines, I would advise new patients of Dr Trout what a reasonable test/procedure schedule might be for your circumstances, as well as the costs involved, possible side effects, and chances of success for those procedures.
Dr Trout demonstrated thorough medical knowledge, yet also showed plenty of relational empathy from her own journey. She ackowledged our feelings, and the difficulty of the process we're going through.
Describe the protocols Susan Trout used in your cycles at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology and their degree of success.
Dr Trout seemed to encourage a minimalist strategy; starting with scheduled intercourse, then adding in the next least invasive assistance each cycle. My wife and I made some of our own adjustments as needed, but our treatment planhas been incrementally more aggressive each cycle: 1) scheduled intercourse, 2) unmedicated IUI, 3) Clomid and scheduled intercourse, 4) Clomid, Ovidrel, and IUI, 5) currently planning another Clomid and scheduled intercourse cycle, followed by 6) injectables and IUI, and 7) possible IVF after that.
Most of the cursing staff treated us like actual people, and not like nameless "cases." The younger staff lacked a certain professionalism, which is to be expected, but most of the staff seemed to be like-minded with Dr Trout.
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
Dr Trout isn't the most hand-on with procedures, nor the most aggressive with treatment plans. If you're expecting a "one and done" clinic, this isn't the place. This is not to say that her methods aren't effective, it more a matter of her personal approach to the process.
Our costs were slightly less than what we expected. Each IUI was between $400-$500, Ovidrel was much cheaper than expected at $110/per, and other tests were exactly as expected.
Denver

Dr. Trout is good at explaining things and answering all our questions in a way that is easy to understand. She's also candid about tests and procedures that are unnecessary, which we really appreciate since we're self-pay (she didn't order a whole bunch of stuff that wasn't going to help). She is direct and kind at the same time, and I feel like she understands not just the biology but also the emotional toll.... Since we have unexplained infertility, we started with Clomid IUIs, which seems to be fairly standard.
I think it helps to go in with questions prepared, whether about your insurance or your procedures.
Dr. Trout and her staff are friendly and kind. The clinic is relatively small, so we meet the same staff over and over. Dr. Trout spent a lot of time answering our questions about treatment and possible causes for our infertility that can't be explained by testing.
We've worked with two nurses. They went over test results and treatment plans in person. They are really great at answering questions by phone; they take the call immediately or call back within an hour usually. That flexibility helps because we don't have to go into the office unless we're doing an actual test or procedure.
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
It's small, which makes it feel personal, and they still do weekend appointments as needed. We haven't seen Dr. Trout herself much; the vast majority of our interactions are with the nurses (and on the weekend, the nurses aren't there, just the techs). Dr. Trout's approach is minimally invasive, which also means you start with less expensive options. We like that, but some people may prefer to jump into a super aggressive approach.
Our testing was covered by insurance. IUIs were around $450-ish, not including the cost of drugs.
Describe Susan Trout's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
Denver

She [Dr. Trout] is good at responding to questions and providing information when asked but she is somewhat passive about trying different things and doing diagnostics when things don't work. I had to ask for it, and ask a lot of questions about what other options we could try.... I had donor embryos. We tried a LOT of estrogen to get my lining thick enough, and progesterone. She was also willing to try (and she was the one who suggested) something experimental - an expensive drug usually used to fight cancer, that has inconsistent results in helping to thicken lining.
She is good at responding to questions and providing information when asked but she is somewhat passive about trying different things and doing diagnostics when things don't work. I had to ask for it, and ask a lot of questions about what other options we could try. With that said, she is not scary or intimidating and when I told her that acupuncture seemed to work she was very willing to hear it and adjust accordingly which I appreciated because some doctors won't consider alternative methods.
Be politely proactive and ask lots of questions about what other things to try, and what she seeing in the results.
It's a small office and they consistently had me work with the same nurse which meant she knew what was going on when I spoke to her.
I had donor embryos. We tried a LOT of estrogen to get my lining thick enough, and progesterone. She was also willing to try (and she was the one who suggested) something experimental - an expensive drug usually used to fight cancer, that has inconsistent results in helping to thicken lining. I liked it that she was willing to try it and to go to bat with my health insurance provider to try to get it covered.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology. (Assigned nurse: The fabulous Melinda)
It was great to have one person consistently, which was very different from my experience at a different doctors office previously. She is very succinct, to the point, without excessive emotion which I appreciate. She is willing to go to bat for me when needed.
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
Great that it's small - I don't feel at all like I get lost amongst the noise. I recognize almost all the staff, and the doctor callede from her cell phone one time when needed. It's much more personal than other places I've been.
Not sure how to answer this. It seems in line with others.
They explained the pros and cons of one embryo versus multiple and helped me think through it.
Denver

Dr. Trout is clearly very bright, and is kind, but not great with talking through all aspects of procedures, treatment, medication. I was disappointed that her nurse did 95% of my intake consultation and I only spent the last 5% of the appointment with Dr Trout, where she didn't ask me any questions really about medical history etc, but began prescribing treatment. I feel like Dr Trout is extremely bright and qualified, but I never quite felt comfortable as her patient - she was a bit impersonal and hard to communicate with.
One example: last week I went in to CRE for blood work. When I was sitting in the waiting room, both Dr. Trout and my nurse Melinda walked through the waiting room at separate times. I said hello to each of them, having met each multiple times for my 2 consultations, 3 ultrasounds and 3 IUIs, in which they both were treating me. Neither of them said hello in return and looked at me like they didn't recognize me.
3 rounds of IUI: #1 and #2 w/ 50 mg clomid days 3-8, ovidrel injection. #3 w/100 mg clomid days 3-8.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology. (Assigned nurse: Melinda)
Melinda was very terse and seemed almost dismissive when talking to you. Felt like a strict teacher who you know has your best interests at heart (hopefully) but who your interactions with are not overly pleasant.
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
CRE is small, so you get to know all of the staff there (even if they don't remember you).
Each IUI was out of pocket $450 I believe. Plus an ultrasound each cycle ($150) and medications (clomid and ovidrel were total around $200 each month). Grand total for 3 IUIs plus consultations was probably between $2500-$3000.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Other
The devastating information was shared in a passing manner, and she seemed annoyed having to explain the results to us. ... She had zero hope that I would ever get pregnant and assumed I, therefore, would not be interested in taking care of other reproductive health issues. My husband and I allowed Dr. Trout to remove the fibroid and resect the uterine septum only because the procedure was already scheduled, and we did not want to delay the next step in our fertility journey.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Other
She is abrupt and does not show compassion to patients. She fails to educate patients on medical diagnoses and recommended treatments. She is not a skilled reproductive endocrinologist. She is pessimistic in her approach to care and does not listen to her patients' preferences. Local acupuncturists who work with infertility patients do not refer clients to Dr. Trout because they are not confident in the work she performs.
Don't see her unless you only need a fibroid removal. Find a different doctor to address your infertility problems. Schedule an appointment with a second reproductive endocrinologist to obtain a second opinion.
Dr. Trout's nurse called me with all test results, and some of my test results were unexpected. My FSH was 32 (elevated for my age), and my Anti-Mullerian Hormone was 0.16 (extremely low for my age), which indicated I had low ovarian reserve. I was scheduled for a pre-operative visit before having a fibroid removed, and at the pre-operative visit, we had to remind Dr. Trout to review the lab results with us. She delivered the test results and meaning of the results in an abrupt manner and blamed by infertility on cigarette smoking I did in college at weekend parties (highly unlikely to be the cause). The devastating information was shared in a passing manner, and she seemed annoyed having to explain the results to us. My husband and I knew more about the meaning of the results based on our own research rather than the explanation given by Dr. Trout. It was concerning that we were informed by Dr. Trout's nurse that she would discuss these results with us at the pre-operative visit, but she did not remember to do so without prompting. Also, I was scheduled to have uterine fibroids removed and a hysteroscopic resection of uterine septum by Dr. Trout, but Dr. Trout's note to her nurse stated that I may not even want surgery since my lab work was so terrible. She had zero hope that I would ever get pregnant and assumed I, therefore, would not be interested in taking care of other reproductive health issues. My husband and I allowed Dr. Trout to remove the fibroid and resect the uterine septum only because the procedure was already scheduled, and we did not want to delay the next step in our fertility journey.
I had a hysteroscopic resection of my uterine septum and myomectomy (uterine fibroid removal). Dr. Trout only recommended I use donor eggs for IVF and would not consider minimal stimulation to retrieve eggs from my ovaries.
The nurses returned calls promptly and answered questions. They were kind and compassionate on the phone and at the office.
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
Strengths: The office space is like a typical medical office. The staff respond quickly to phone calls and seem informed. The nurses and receptionists were kind. The clinical coordinator was organized. Weakness: Parking is challenging around the medical center where Dr. Trout is located. Staff do not seem as organized, and you may have to be proactive about calling to schedule treatments or tests.
I do not remember the costs for my myomectomy and uterine septum resection. Insurance paid 80% after deductible.
I don't know her thoughts on embryo transfer.

2005 - 2011
She [Dr. Trout] was able to communicate what I needed to know and I understood the odds of getting pregnant. When I asked her how I could increase my odds she let me know the choices I had. I have heard other doctors refuse to allow an IUI simply because of a patient's age. She did not ever tell me that...She saw me for all of my visits. The IUIs were done by her nurse, but as a physician I may have been treated better than if I were not? I do not know that, but she waas very forthcoming about what I needed to know and we had a good rapport.
2005 - 2011
She was able to communicate what I needed to know and I understood the odds of getting pregnant. When I asked her how I could increase my odds she let me know the choices I had. I have heard other doctors refuse to allow an IUI simply because of a patient's age. She did not ever tell me that.
Be well informed about what it means to be inseminated. Be sure you want to move forward. Come to the office with questions at hand and ask them so you know what you need to know before you leave. Do not be afraid to ask if you are confused. This actually goes for any doctor visit.
We moved to clomid after my first IUI. Based on my numbers I was less likely to become pregnant without medication. Fortunately, I was pregnant on my second IUI for each child. We started with clomid and a trigger shot for my second pregnancy as I nad needed clomid for my first.
They explained what would happen next. When I called they helped guide me as far as when to have an ultrasound. They helped bridge the care between seeing Dr. Trout. They clearly communicated with her.
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
It is a small office. I liked that approach rather than a situation where I might just be a number. I felt like she knew all of the patients in her office because it was smaller. Also it was a nice building. Easy parking and of course clean.
About $3000 total.
I only did IUIs

2011 - 2016
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
The process is a very emotional process and [Dr. Trout] addressed all of my concerns even when I was emotional. She answered emails, her assistants made phone calls. I never had any issues getting a hold of her or her staff to answer any of my questions or concerns...was always very forward with the results of our test but also showed compassion...made me feel comfortable very time she walked into the room.
2011 - 2016
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Trout was always very forward with the results of our test but also showed compassion on helping me deal with all the emotions that went along with IVF. She made recommendations, was easy to contact and discuss questions with, and made me feel comfortable very time she walked into the room.
Be open with her, let her see your raw emotion, and she will show you compassion and hope!
The process is a very emotional process and Dr. Troutaddressed all of my concerns even when I was emotional. She answered emails, her assistants made phone calls. I never had any issues getting a hold of her or her staff to answer any of my questions or concerns.
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
Every day I walked into the clinic I felt as if I were among friends. Everyone greeted my husband and I by name and always made sure we were comfortable. At the beginning, I felt that we jumped into planning my IVF cycle without getting all the results to make sure it was time. I was disappointed when we had the cycle completely planned out only to get results back later and find that a certain issue had to be fixed first. It was easy to readjust the schedule, but it was very overwhelming.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
We lived nearly three hours away from the clinic. They worked with our local health clinic to do the ultrasounds. My hometown clinic would send over ultrasounds every morning and CRE would call by noon with the results and the next set of protocol.

Endometriosis, PCOS
I had a cyst on my ovary that she [Dr Trout at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology] did not remove during surgery because she inaccurately diagnosed it as a poly cystic ovary. The cyst continued to grow because it was an endometrial cyst. Eventually I landed myself in the ER because it was hemorrhaging blood and was the size of my ovary itself. She also missed endometriosis on my fallopian tubes. Also, incorrectly informed me that endometriosis cannot return a few months after a laparoscopy when absolutely it can.
Endometriosis, PCOS
I had a cyst on my ovary that she did not remove during surgery because she inaccurately diagnosed it as a poly cystic ovary. The cyst continued to grow because it was an endometrial cyst. Eventually I landed myself in the ER because it was hemorrhaging blood and was the size of my ovary itself. She also missed endometriosis on my fallopian tubes. Also, incorrectly informed me that endometriosis cannot return a few months after a laparoscopy when absolutely it can. However, thanks to this experience, I have helped to found a non-profit called the Endo Challenge which focuses on raising awareness for endometriosis and providing ACCURATE information to sufferers. Do not, under any circumstances, go into surgery with Susan Trout.
Don't do it. Find a new doctor!!!
She misdiagnosed me with many things. Had she paid better attention, I might not be on my third RE.
The only treatment was metformin for a pcos cyst that I didn't have.
It took 4 months after the laparoscopy was done for anyone to get in touch with me regarding the results and stage of the endometriosis. Although, the results they gave me were probably inaccurate as well.
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
Just don't go here, seriously.
Considering half of the stuff they told me I needed, I didn't really need, I'd say I was definitely overcharged.

2013 - 2019
She’s [Dr. Susan Trout] very professional and understanding considering she went through this as well. She provides all of the information needed. She explains everything in length and allowed us to ask questions until we completely understood what path we needed to follow.... I tried chlomid, Injections, prometrium, trigger shots. I did many different things and depending on my cycle and or follicles things had to be adjusted
2013 - 2019
She’s very professional and understanding considering she went through this as well. She provides all of the information needed. She explains everything in length and allowed us to ask questions until we completely understood what path we needed to follow.
Be open and honest with her and yourself. Ask questions!!
At times I felt pushed aside when I would phone to ask questions
Melinda was and is one of a kind. Always returned calls and explained things until we understood them. She was thorough and so very kind!
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
The waiting room is little to be desired. It needs a makeover. Weekend appointments the staff were not or not always on time. If someone is at the front desk they always greet you. There are not enough seats if there are many people, but everyone who goes there is friendly and accommodating
We have spent near 10,000 or more on fertility
Denver

We didn’t get to interact with Dr Trout other than the initial consult and when we asked to follow up with her. She took to the time to explain things then, but we didn’t really feel a connection to her since she wasn’t doing the IUIs. It sometimes felt like you’d get more of her time if you were an ivf patient.... We did 6 iui treatments so a lot were different, but we started with progesterone and iui, then did several rounds with gonal f and occasionally a trigger shot. The last round, there weren’t enough eggs so I took another shot to help with that. All were unsuccessful.
It’s a smaller clinic which provides opportunities to know the staff and feel like they are listening to you. We didn’t get to interact with Dr Trout other than the initial consult and when we asked to follow up with her. She took to the time to explain things then, but we didn’t really feel a connection to her since she wasn’t doing the IUIs. It sometimes felt like you’d get more of her time if you were an ivf patient.
Ask lots of questions, advocate for yourself.
She would meet with us when we had more questions and would talk through our questions
They were all friendly and kind and took the time to call me back and answer questions
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
It’s accessible and easy to get a hold of someone whether they call you back or can talk then. I didn’t have any issues with waiting too long for appointments. I don’t have any complaints. They worked with us for payments and made it easy to figure the finance part out.
Can’t rememver
We didn’t do IVF with her clinic.
Denver

While it's standard to only meet with her at your initial visit (and likely when your plan needs adjusting), she is very open and willing to meet with you privately should you feel the need....Dr. Trout is open to all types of treatment and isn't quick to put you on loads of hormones if she feels a certain treatment / drug may be successful. She adjusted my plan accordingly and introduced various medicines and hormones only when needed.
Dr. Trout has great bedside manner and is very thorough in her explanation of your care and treatment plan. While it's standard to only meet with her at your initial visit (and likely when your plan needs adjusting), she is very open and willing to meet with you privately should you feel the need.
Have questions ready so she can give you thoughtful and detailed answers about what to expect.
The members of her office referred to me and my husband by name every visit. They were always very welcoming and friendly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology. (Assigned nurse: Sharon)
All staff are professional, caring and knowledgeable. Her front desk staff, specifically Rose, are very helpful and organized.
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
Very pleased with the clinic and overall experience.
Everything was out of pocket as infertility was not covered by my insurance.

2012
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Other, Unexplained
Dr. Trout was candid with me, she actually put me in a positive mindset, I had been transferred over from an OB-Gyn and she was sure to look through their findings and focus on what needed to be done with me.... She was very open about my treatment and diagnosis. She explained to me why and how each step was done.... As a new patient come prepared for a great introduction to fertility and when your blood results come in bring a notepad because you will learn something.
2012
European, Native American, Other
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Other, Unexplained
Be open, and let her know all of your concerns. She listens and will do her best to answer them.
I don't remember, unfortunately.
I received bad news 4 total cycles with Dr. Trout's office and each time the nurses called with that bad news they were compassionate and understanding. They have seen so many ups and downs that they could be crude and not care. They take their time and understand what each patient is going through.
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
A little more comfort in the waiting room would be nice. As a new patient come prepared for a great introduction to fertility and when your blood results come in bring a notepad because you will learn something.

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
The consults have been very educational. Dr. Trout presents the facts as they relate to you and the options based on the stage of the process. It happens verbally - and I wish there were documents so I can go home and reference the information again.... anytime i call and ask a question they dont remember things about my chart and have to open it up and review it... Scheduling feels mostly based on what is convenient for them vs how to help
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Come in with questions you have.
The nurses are all friendly - I did not/do not have one specific nurse so there isnt consistency. Calls are returned within the same day.
Describe your experience with Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology.
Because there is one Doctor and a smaller staff - scheduling can be tricky. I travel for work and sometimes fitting in visits can be hard to coordinate. I like the location of the clinic - easy to get to - although not on my ordinary path