7.2

address unknown
city, ON 00000
000-000-0000

2013 - 2017, Successful
For the most part, I liked Dr. Willman's "bedside manner." She was matter of fact without being cold, and went into the medical details in a way that I appreciated. In terms of her treatment plans, however, I do feel that she relies on numbers and statistics with less outside-the-box intuitive thinking, which means her treatment plans are somewhat less tailored to each individual... Dr. Willman said that since the sperm had looked good, she decided against ICSI. We were livid and upset.
The financial department [at RSC] is very unhelpful...Next to the anguish of a failed cycle, the confusion and frustration I felt when dealing with the financial department was the worst part of going through IVF...I had no complaints about the nursing staff or case manager. I felt well-taken care of...read up on which doctor you pick, because there are many and they all have their own styles....the financial and billing aspect of this process was a nightmare and it is here that the clinic has its biggest weakness.
How was your experience with Susan Willman at Reproductive Science Center?
For straightforward cases, I expect Dr. Willman could be great. But in my experience, as soon as anything deviated from the norm, it all started to fall apart. She's well-respected in the Bay Area and that's got to be for a reason, but I now doubt her medical opinion based on feedback from two other REs on her protocol. For example, she told me that blastocycsts from a rescue ICSI are no less likely to be viable than from regular ICSI or just IVF. She also told me that breastfeeding would have no effect on my IVF cycle. I have spoken to other doctors who feel the opposite on both those counts. She also tends to get defensive when challenged on some of the calls she's made, which while understandable, doesn't sit right with me. Despite some major setbacks, I did get pregnant and gave birth to my kid, though trying for #2 with this doctor was a complete failure.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Susan Willman at Reproductive Science Center?
Trust your gut.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Susan Willman at Reproductive Science Center?
For the most part, I liked Dr. Willman's "bedside manner." She was matter of fact without being cold, and went into the medical details in a way that I appreciated. In terms of her treatment plans, however, I do feel that she relies on numbers and statistics with less outside-the-box intuitive thinking, which means her treatment plans are somewhat less tailored to each individual. In my case she weighed lab results more than my medical history, so prescribed a medication protocol that looked good "on paper" but didn't take into account that I had tried something similar in the past with a poor outcome.
Describe the protocols Susan Willman used in your cycles at Reproductive Science Center and their degree of success.
My first IVF cycle was an antagonist protocol and canceled for a lead follicle. My 2nd cycle was a Lupron microdose flare protocol and ultimately did lead to a pregnancy and live birth. However, we were advised to use ICSI, agreed and paid for it, and then it was not done. We had an almost total fertilization failure--out of 15 eggs only 2 fertilized. Dr. Willman said that since the sperm had looked good, she decided against ICSI. We were livid and upset. The lab did "rescue ICSI" at this point, which ultimately led to 1 frozen blastocyst. I have heard since that rescue ICSI almost never works and that the blasts that result from it are almost always nonviable. Indeed, the FET cycle we did with that blast was a failure. For our last cycle, in an attempt to conceive a 2nd child, Dr. Willman prescribed another antagonist cycle despite the fact that in the past that had led to a canceled cycle for me. It was coupled with estrogen priming, FSH and Menopur. She also prescribed human growth hormone, but not beginning till stim day 5. In speaking with other doctors, the HGH should be started far earlier in the cycle. I had poor response to the drugs and my estrogen never reached above 900, even with 12 follicles. My estrogen dipped on the day of trigger. I asked Dr. Willman if we should cancel the cycle and she recommended going ahead to retrieval because this might be as good as I would be able to get. They got 7 mature eggs. Four fertilized, and only 1 made it to day 3. On day 6 it was deemed poor quality and not frozen or transferred. I really wish we had canceled the cycle. Now she recommends donor eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Valeri Weber)
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
I think RSC is a great choice if you are in the Bay Area. Look at their SART success rates. Definitely read up on which doctor you pick, because there are many and they all have their own styles. The financial department is very unhelpful. If you have insurance coverage for infertility, it is very difficult to understand how much you will actually pay out of pocket until they are asking for a payment. Next to the anguish of a failed cycle, the confusion and frustration I felt when dealing with the financial department was the worst part of going through IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Susan Willman at Reproductive Science Center.
It's far too much effort for me to try to quantify this unfortunately, between insurance coverage, canceled cycles, etc. It's all a blur. As I said previously, the financial and billing aspect of this process was a nightmare and it is here that the clinic has its biggest weakness.
Describe Susan Willman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Science Center.
Dr. Willman is a strong believer in the advantages of a healthy singleton pregnancy, and would likely recommend an eSET if the patient were on the younger side, or at any age if the embryos were normal as determined by genetic testing.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Science Center.
When our FET cycle failed, the doctor that called with the results (not our normal doctor) told us that since it was an embryo from a "rescue ICSI" procedure, that was likely why the cycle failed, because rescue ICSI embryos have a very low chance of success. I wondered why my doctor had never told me this, why we paid thousands of dollars to have that embryo frozen, stored, thawed and transferred. Her answer was that it was not her understanding and the other doctor was mistaken--actually she said that the other doctor never said that. So either the other doctor lied to her or they were trying to make me think it never happened. I guess that's referred to as gaslighting. Anyway, something fishy went on there.

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Susan Willman] didn't always really think through how to communicate Before our one and only IVF transfer as the embryos were developing, she left me a voicemail late on a Friday afternoon to say she wanted to tell us something, didn't say what it was, and then left for the day. Of course we freaked out and managed to get the on call doctor on the phone who gave us the bad news that the embryos weren't doing great. Finally, after all of that, Dr. Willman let me know our fresh transfer failed (second beta results) over voice mail for crying out loud.
We only saw Dr Willman occasionally to review our case (we were a "case") and a few times for baseline or sonograms. Otherwise I had an assigned case manager [at Reproductive Science Center] who couldn't answer questions (would only repeat information we already had) and had to be pressed to ask the doctors to get new information, communication was always at least one day behind, billing was a complete mess (we ended up with a refund because of over-payments?!). IUIs, egg retrieval, and fresh transfers were never with Dr Willman always someone else who was on call. She didn't always really think through how to communicate Before our one and only IVF transfer as the embryos were developing, she left me a voicemail late on a Friday afternoon to say she wanted to tell us something, didn't say what it was, and then left for the day. Of course we freaked ou
How was your experience with Susan Willman at Reproductive Science Center?
I felt like I was on an assembly line. I went (and stayed) because of the SART stats but ultimately decided they were way too cavalier about our ability to keep financing treatment without a major reassessment of what may have been going on.
Be prepared to deal with nurses, techs, and all of the other doctors there almost exclusively, Willman will be your doctor only in the sense that is the primary doctor assigned to your case; she will not be making all of the treatment decisions or handling the procedures.
We only saw Dr Willman occasionally to review our case (we were a "case") and a few times for baseline or sonograms. Otherwise I had an assigned case manager who couldn't answer questions (would only repeat information we already had) and had to be pressed to ask the doctors to get new information, communication was always at least one day behind, billing was a complete mess (we ended up with a refund because of over-payments?!). IUIs, egg retrieval, and fresh transfers were never with Dr Willman always someone else who was on call. She didn't always really think through how to communicate Before our one and only IVF transfer as the embryos were developing, she left me a voicemail late on a Friday afternoon to say she wanted to tell us something, didn't say what it was, and then left for the day. Of course we freaked out and managed to get the on call doctor on the phone who gave us the bad news that the embryos weren't doing great. Finally, after all of that, Dr. Willman let me know our fresh transfer failed (second beta results) over voice mail for crying out loud.
IUIs with lertozole, some with bravelle, and some with follistim with menopur. All negative pregnancy tests. IVF with follistim, menopur, and ganirelix. 5 fertilized eggs, 1 day 5 embryo, 1 day 5 morula, both transferred, low chemical pregnancy resulted.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer)
Very slow in responding to questions, at least one day and usually incomplete answers.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
Lots of knowledgeable doctors but you won;t have the benefit of being treated by just one of them who will give you personal attention. They go by the stats there, if you don't work within their standard protocols, they are slow to adjust.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Reproductive Science Center.
It was efficient and impersonal, a different nurse or doctor each time. They were always pleasant though.
IUIs were about $600 plus meds, IVF retrieval and fresh transfer was about $24,000 with no PGS plus meds.
They recommended a fresh transfer of two embryos - a blast and morula.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Science Center.
Billing was a complete mess. Every month I received bills or varying amounts even though I paid my portion before every visit (50% when insurance helped, 100% when it didn't). Also, I kept telling them (for a year) that I suspected that I ovulate quickly (before expected after trigger). They did not believe me. Went into egg retrieval showing 16 follicles, and had already started ovulating when retrieval started, we only got 7 eggs.
San Ramon

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
she [Dr. Susan Willman] seemed very cold and was matter-of-fact about the initial course of action. She tried to sell us on IVF as a first-line treatment prior to Clomid or IUI. Then, we were presented with the financial details. We explained that we wanted to try IUI first. I remember she sighed and then explained the timeline and required procedures, along with associated costs. Compared with our IVF procedure, she performed about twice the number of ultrasounds during ovarian stimulation, at $325 each time. It seemed like they were maximizing billing. I work in radiation oncology, and I was very disappointed.
It [Reproductive Science Center] was very costly compared with other clinics in the region at the time, but was more convenient for my wife...They seemed rushed and didn't always have the correct records the few times I witnessed interactions with my wife...When we decided to no longer have treatment there, they charged us $40 for copies of our treatment records in addition to the other issues mentioned...There are many locations, meaning they will likely have a place that is close to you. The facilities are very modern and clean. The San Ramon center had much better clinical staff than the one in Orinda.
How was your experience with Susan Willman at Reproductive Science Center?
I explained this in the previous commentary. My wife experienced more of the clinical interaction and I cannot comment on this. As for my experience, she seemed very cold and was matter-of-fact about the initial course of action. She tried to sell us on IVF as a first-line treatment prior to Clomid or IUI. Then, we were presented with the financial details. We explained that we wanted to try IUI first. I remember she sighed and then explained the timeline and required procedures, along with associated costs. Compared with our IVF procedure, she performed about twice the number of ultrasounds during ovarian stimulation, at $325 each time. It seemed like they were maximizing billing. I work in radiation oncology, and I was very disappointed.
There are many options in the Bay Area. Choose a different option.
When I tried to ask questions about the need for Ultrasound exams every 2 days during ovary stimulation, she became aggressive and refused to answer the question. She explained that it was her prerogative as the doctor and would not elaborate.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Reproductive Science Center.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
It was very costly compared with other clinics in the region at the time, but was more convenient for my wife.

2015, Unsuccessful
I think the practice has really gotten away from Dr Willman. I have to assume that she originally had a more personal approach. Now, you almost never see the doctor - just a rotation of techs... After two failed retrievals, she immediately jumped to donor eggs despite the fact I had explicitly said I was not ready to go there on several occasions.
How was your experience with Susan Willman at Reproductive Science Center?
Please see my earlier comments.
Get a second opinion
I think the practice has really gotten away from Dr Willman. I have to assume that she originally had a more personal approach. Now, you almost never see the doctor - just a rotation of techs. They never take the time to really understand your body, but instead go purely on your numbers. In my case, where all the numbers look good, this meant that Dr Willman was incredibly overly optimistic. After two failed retrievals, she immediately jumped to donor eggs despite the fact I had explicitly said I was not ready to go there on several occasions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center.
The nurse ("case manager") was horrible. Terrible, inconsistent, and at times inaccurate information. Worse, when I raised my concerns with Dr Willman and asked for a different nurse, she was very reluctant to enable this - despite agreeing that the nurse had made mistakes.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Science Center.
I was concerned that we owed RSC money, so we asked for a billing statement. When the statement came, it showed a negative balance of over $4,400 - money we had apparently over paid. RSC would never have made good on this if we hadn't requested the statement, several months after completing treatment.
Orinda

(+) Smart, Experienced, Compassionate, Clear, Thorough (-) Too busy to actually participate in my care, Not creative in dealing with my low chances, seemed like she had given up on me having a baby with my own eggs before i was ready to give up...Dr. Willman took time at the beginning to understand my situation. But after that I was turned over to my nurse and didn't have much/any contact with her.
How was your experience with Susan Willman at Reproductive Science Center?
She's very good, but don't expect to see or hear much from her.
San Ramon