4.4

Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
630-545-3766

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
Investor
Dr. Jain is more than happy to discuss your case with you and answer any questions. It’s difficult to see Dr.Jain outside of the scheduled consultations given the size of the clinic...is a great, compassionate doctor. I only with he would have changed our protocol much earlier than he did. He waited for three failed cycles before changing anything...One transfer resulted in a miscarriage of a chromosomally abnormal embryo despite the PGS resting. The other PGS tested embryo resulted in a negative beta. After that round we changed our protocol to transfer two Day 3 embryos. That transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy.
Please be sure to advocate for yourself [at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine]. Understand that you’ll be seeing the other doctors at the practice much more often than your specific doctor...Dana is a wonderful nurse and caregiver. She is always quick to respond to questions and requests and is compassionate to my situation and any setbacks...Monitoring appointments were quick and easy! Results and any changes to protocol were provided later in the day via secure email.
How was your experience with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Jain is a great, compassionate doctor. I only with he would have changed our protocol much earlier than he did. He waited for three failed cycles before changing anything. That being said, it is my understanding that he is one of the best doctors at Northwestern and in the area in general.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Please be sure to advocate for yourself. Understand that you’ll be seeing the other doctors at the practice much more often than your specific doctor
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Tarun Jain used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I respond very well to the meds and create a lot of eggs. I am always on the lowest doses of Menopur and Follistim. My problem is that I don’t produce high quality embryos so after three rounds we only produced two PGS tested Day 6 embryos. One transfer resulted in a miscarriage of a chromosomally abnormal embryo despite the PGS resting. The other PGS tested embryo resulted in a negative beta. After that round we changed our protocol to transfer two Day 3 embryos. That transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Dana Sullivan )
Dana is a wonderful nurse and caregiver. She is always quick to respond to questions and requests and is compassionate to my situation and any setbacks. She also is happy to celebrate any small victories with me.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is one of the best in the area but is very large and any appointments are scheduled far in advance. Also expect to see a different doctor for each medical appointment. The nurses are the patients main points of contact.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tarun Jain at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
We’re luck that insurance covers the medical procedures associated with IVF. We have to pay out of pocket for medications (approximately $7k) and genetic testing (approximately $3k) per round of IVF.
Describe Tarun Jain's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I’m happy to do eSETs but understand that transferring two Day 3 embryos, given my history of poor quality embryos, was the right choice.
Chicago

So far he [Dr. Jain] is very nice and very gentle. He explains this well and although I am in the field he still explained everything. Sometimes he can be a little awkward but I believe he knows his specialty. I’ve never had a problem with him, I’d just like him to be more visible...I didn’t like that he wasn’t the one who performed the actual transfer or retrieval. How do I know he was even managing the medications during a cycle?...Iui x3 with letrozole and ovidrel trigger...1 ivf cycle with gonal f and menopur. 7 follicules, 4 mature, 1 fertilized. 1 bfn...
all options should be available at all locations [of Northwestern Medicine]. I had absolutely no idea that the actual ivf procedure was not done In Oak brook at all. Everything is based downtown, weekend monitoring... downtown. Ivf downtown...Everyone’s hands are in the chart. With the primary location being downtown, I feel like the dictate the plan. I had nurses communicating with me that I have never met nor spoken to. All communication is computer chart based.
So far he is very nice and very gentle. He explains this well and although I am in the field he still explained everything. Sometimes he can be a little awkward but I believe he knows his specialty. I’ve never had a problem with him, I’d just like him to be more visible.
Be prepared to not see a MD during your IUI. I was completely caught off guard. Be prepared to travel down town for monitoring and procedures, I was under the impression everything could be done in Oakbrook.
Dr Jain made me feel good, he explained things. However I didn’t like that he wasn’t the one who performed the actual transfer or retrieval. How do I know he was even managing the medications during a cycle?
Iui x3 with letrozole and ovidrel trigger. Letrozole works better with those with a history of PCOS. 1 ivf cycle with gonal f and menopur. 7 follicules, 4 mature, 1 fertilized. 1 bfn.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Joyce)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
If you’re going to promote numerous locations... all options should be available at all locations. I had absolutely no idea that the actual ivf procedure was not done In Oak brook at all. Everything is based downtown, weekend monitoring... downtown. Ivf downtown.
Last I have heard... my insurance covers 5 IUI’s and 4 IVF procedures.
1-2 with a 3 day. 1 with a 5 day.
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Initially I was going to go on birth control prior to my first cycle start. Order was never called in. I was advised by the doctor himself when a procedure would take place, it took 3 days for someone to finally get back to me to say oops sorry nope. Abnormalities were noted on previous ultrasounds but proceeded with cycles regardless.
Chicago

Dr. Jain is a kind and compassionate RE. ... That said, I am a poor responder and have done 6 cycles with Dr. Jain. Other than the first 2 cycles, I have suggested all protocols and potential new ideas to try. While I wish he would have been more proactive in that respect, he was completely open to my suggestions and allowed me to try everything I wanted to without hesitation.
They [Northwestern Medicine] tend to be conservative in their protocols although I know some doctors are more progressive. I’m not certain that their lab is top notch and using the most up-to-date methods. ... Dana is an absolutely wonderful nurse. She always responded quickly and thoughtfully to my messages. ... I’ve had varying experiences with these other nurses, some of which gave me incorrect instructions for medications, so always be sure to double check everything.
Dr. Jain is a kind and compassionate RE. He’s written a book about infertility and it’s clear he truly cares for his patients and their well-being. That said, I am a poor responder and have done 6 cycles with Dr. Jain. Other than the first 2 cycles, I have suggested all protocols and potential new ideas to try. While I wish he would have been more proactive in that respect, he was completely open to my suggestions and allowed me to try everything I wanted to without hesitation. Of my 6 retrievals, Dr. Jain only performed 1 of them. I never saw him during stims either but he was also available for a call if I requested it (and I was never charged for them). Overall, I think Dr. Jain is a great RE.
Be sure to do your own research and advocate for any protocols or medicines you think may be beneficial. Northwestern appears to be pretty conservative in their practice.
Dr. Jain is very kind. He is soft-spoken but it’s clear that he truly cares for his patients. I had a scare during one of my cycles were I was bleeding very heavily. Dr. Jain saw me right away the next morning, took my concerns seriously and acknowledged how scary the experience was even though it ended up not being a big deal.
Antagonist - first 4 cycles, mostly diagnostic but I think this is the standard protocol they use for all patients. Microdose lupron - it was my suggestion to make this change For the last 2 cycles because I knew regular antagonist was not working for me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Dana)
Dana is an absolutely wonderful nurse. She always responded quickly and thoughtfully to my messages. She was compassionate and kind and did her best to alleviate my concerns. Other nurses assigned to Dr. Jain sometimes also fill in when Dana is not in. I’ve had varying experiences with these other nurses, some of which gave me incorrect instructions for medications, so always be sure to double check everything. In general, the nurses respond very quickly to all messages.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern is a pretty well-oiled machine at this point. It can be a bit of a cattle call for monitoring but they keep things moving and generally don’t have any issues. They tend to be conservative in their protocols although I know some doctors are more progressive. I’m not certain that their lab is top notch and using the most up-to-date methods.
Northwestern follows SART guidelines in this regard.
My first cycle was managed by a nurse who is no longer my assigned nurse. She failed to tell me that the cycle was likely to be canceled due to poor response so it came as a pretty big shock when the on-call doctor called to tell me it would make sense to cancel.
Chicago

I do think when I came to him [Dr. Jain] expressing my own instinctual fear that my egg quality might be an issue, and that we are going out of pocket for this he didn't quite hear me. He was looking at odds, numbers, labs and my fear was with 3 miscarriages at 40 years old using my own eggs would be an issue. I even asked him about embryo adoption and he didn't seem that we were there yet. So on one hand I loved that he believed we'd have a FEW healthy embryos come out of this but I was gutted when we had zero.
I just wish I understood more about how these day 6 embryos with good "grades" widdled down to ZERO healthy ones? ... They [nurses at Northwestern Medicine] were really helpful and sweet, showed me how to do the injections and were patient with all of my questions. If I emailed them, they would get back within a couple of hours and same with when I would call with a question. I also have to say I never waited very long in the waiting room which was nice. Waiting always gives me extra anxiety especially working full time and not wanting to be late to calls or miss any work related things.
I do think when I came to him expressing my own instinctual fear that my egg quality might be an issue, and that we are going out of pocket for this he didn't quite hear me. He was looking at odds, numbers, labs and my fear was with 3 miscarriages at 40 years old using my own eggs would be an issue. I even asked him about embryo adoption and he didn't seem that we were there yet. So on one hand I loved that he believed we'd have a FEW healthy embryos come out of this but I was gutted when we had zero.
Maybe get a second opinion before going with him if you have any concerns like I did.
I felt like a human because Dr. Jain was really empathetic when hearing I had experienced a stillbirth at 39 weeks when I was 37 years old, as well that surrounding that stillbirth both before and after I had experienced miscarriages. This said, he gave me a lot of hope that my own eggs at 40 were still healthy and that we'd be successful and we left totally gutted when 2 of our embryos were sent off to genetic testing and neither were healthy. He called and I could feel he was actually sad for us, and wanted to help. He asked if we wanted to try again and at that point since insurance didn't cover any of what I did, our credit cards were maxed and we left drained.
stimulation medication,(Gonal -F or Follistim) 225 units & Menopur 75 units tand every night within approximately one hour of your chosen time. Ganirelix/Cetrotide was weaved in at somepoint.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Dana and Alexandra )
They were really helpful and sweet, showed me how to do the injections and were patient with all of my questions. If I emailed them, they would get back within a couple of hours and same with when I would call with a question. I also have to say I never waited very long in the waiting room which was nice. Waiting always gives me extra anxiety especially working full time and not wanting to be late to calls or miss any work related things.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The strengths are communication, I was never in the dark about my test results, my follicle count, my numbers, etc. I think they were very communicative. That said I wish because I was honest that we were going out of pocket and we've been through 4 heartbreaks already they would have fast tracked me to egg donor or embryo adoption. It made me think they wanted me to be there for a couple of rounds and tries and we just couldnt because we didnt have the money.
$10,000 down payment for 1 cycle this was not including meds, and certain labs like the genetic labs for my husband and myself and then the genetic testing on the embryos was also separate. All in we spent $20,000
2010 - 2011, Successful
The team was awesome. I had the same nurse do my blood work almost every time. The receptionist was very sensitive to each person because she had also been through a fertility struggle.
How was your experience with Tarun Jain at Chicago IVF?
Dr. Jain was very informative and sensitive at the same time. He laid out our options in a tiered manner from least aggressive and least expensive to most. His staff was really helpful and even accommodated my early work ours for blood work.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tarun Jain at Chicago IVF?
Don't hesitate to ask questions or ask for clarification. The nurses are very encouraging and most are knowledgeable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tarun Jain at Chicago IVF?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Chicago IVF.
They were flexible, easy to talk to, and understanding.
Chicago IVF
Warrenville

He [Dr. Jain] conducted a thorough examination and provided clear instructions and recommendations for our game plan. We only met him once at our initial consultation back in January but he came highly recommend by my gynecologist. ... Since we had already been trying to conceive for a year, had 5 months of clomid and one failed IUI without a positive pregnancy test he laid out a game plan to switch to letrozole for three months before discussing IVF.
This clinic [Northwestern Medicine] operates as a well oiled machine. It’s startling to see so many women at the office on the same journey they they all seem well taken care of. They have flexible house for monitoring appointments for blood draws and ultrasounds. Makes it easy to fit appointments into my schedule. I also love that they primarily communicate through MyChart app. No missed phone calls and it’s easy to review their written instructions and be reminded of appointments.
He conducted a thorough examination and provided clear instructions and recommendations for our game plan. We only met him once at our initial consultation back in January but he came highly recommend by my gynecologist. We also have an IVF consultation scheduled for next month if needed.
Personable staff and pleasant communication
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic operates as a well oiled machine. It’s startling to see so many women at the office on the same journey they they all seem well taken care of. They have flexible house for monitoring appointments for blood draws and ultrasounds. Makes it easy to fit appointments into my schedule. I also love that they primarily communicate through MyChart app. No missed phone calls and it’s easy to review their written instructions and be reminded of appointments.