5.2

University Hospitals

Thalia Segal works at

499 Illinois Street
San Francisco, CA 94158

[Dr. Segal] was helpful in explaining my infertility diagnosis. She was compassionate and helpful with a polyp removal surgery and subsequent biopsy. However, early on it seemed like she had too many patients and did not know about my specific case until the meeting itself...She mostly provided me personal attention, but let my case slip through the cracks causing professional team miscommunications...
UCSF treats you like a number. It's a volume shop that will batch you up, meaning you need to take birth control and go through the gates of generalized infection classes and another class that may not have much to do with your own care...The care team is awful - they will not talk on the phone with you, make you use their electronic portal, which they don't respond until 2-3 days later often not answering at all the questions at hand and super quickly.
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
She was helpful in explaining my infertility diagnosis. She was compassionate and helpful with a polyp removal surgery and subsequent biopsy. However, early on it seemed like she had too many patients and did not know about my specific case until the meeting itself. Because of her error, she greenlighted my injections without coordinating with the anesthesiologist who ultimately was extremely alarmist about my baseline health and she decided to cancel my cycle instead of working with him towards a solution.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thalia Segal at UCSF?
Make sure that any abnormal health history from your labwork is thoroughly reviewed and discussed prior to proceeding with the cost and effort of IVF.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
Her support staff was extremely rude and callous, even making me cry during a procedure confirmation of the legal documents. She mostly provided me personal attention, but let my case slip through the cracks causing professional team miscommunications and poor teamwork with the anesthesiologist which caused my cycle to be canceled after months of working with her and over a week of wasted injections and appointments.
Describe the protocols Thalia Segal used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
Gonal F 125 IU + Menopur 75 IU SQ ; Cetrotide
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Eugenia Gonzalez; Anne Garcillano)
The care team is awful - they will not talk on the phone with you, make you use their electronic portal, which they don't respond until 2-3 days later often not answering at all the questions at hand and super quickly. Eugenia is particularly uncaring and bad, she was so unclear about consents that she claimed that 99% of the patients mess it up with no sense of self-awareness that it because of her poor communication. My previous care coordinator had been fired due to incompetence as well.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe Thalia Segal's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
Would only do elective single embryo transfer
What specific things went wrong at UCSF?
San Francisco

16 eggs retrieved, 9 mature eggs, 7 fertilized, 6 grew to day 6 for biopsy + PGS, 1 euploid embryo [protocol with Dr. Thalia Segal]...While our diagnosis is unexplained infertility, Dr. Segal seemed to create a plan that made sense and explained anything I had questions about...The only complaints I had was that she wasn't aware of the conversation topic for a couple phone consults that were scheduled. Not sure if this was an issue with her team, but it didn't make for a great experience for those calls.
My understanding is that UCSF has very good technology, research and reputation. Their equipment is state of the art and we were able to be a part of a study that had low risks but saved us about $2500 that we would have spent anyways. That is why we chose UCSF. The issue here seems to be process and perhaps that they have WAY too many patients to manage. For instance, there are multiple forms that you must sign with a witness and no one makes sure that you have all of them at once and gets every single item signed at the same time. They are very disorganized and seemingly quite unaware of the issues. They are supposed to be fixing it and I hope they will so other people don't waste time and money. Make sure to advocate for yourself. Try your best to get an understanding of the bigger process and deadlines if you're on a tight timeline. Self pay medications with them are extremely affordable. I think friends that went to private clinics paid a lot more.
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
While I didn't see Dr. Segal much, every encounter in person or on the phone was pleasant. She answered every question I had, made sure I knew the benefits and the risks and was empathetic and informative. Overall really professional. The only complaints I had was that she wasn't aware of the conversation topic for a couple phone consults that were scheduled. Not sure if this was an issue with her team, but it didn't make for a great experience for those calls.
Be clear about your goals, ask a lot of questions.
In person and on the phone, Dr. Segal (and every other person at UCSF CRH that I've been in contact with) is kind, informative and very helpful. While our diagnosis is unexplained infertility, Dr. Segal seemed to create a plan that made sense and explained anything I had questions about. The process at UCSF, however, is very flawed. It's not clear where you are in the process, who you are supposed to be in touch with, it takes on average 3 calls to get a phone call/email back. Expect for this to take longer than you think it will. I had my first appointment early April and was planning to do my first egg retrieval starting end of May and one day before cycle day 1, they called to tell me that they had to push to the next cycle. Needless to say I was quite unhappy about this as we were trying to get all this done as my insurance plan year is coming to a close. Apparently UCSF is working to fix some serious issues, but be warned - you must be an advocate for yourself and push them along. Maybe other teams are more organized but it really sounds like it's a UCSF thing not a team/Dr. specific issue.
Skipped estrace priming, 4 days Menopur 150 IU/ Gonal F 150 IU, 5 days Ganirelix 250 mcg and Menopur 150 IU / Gonal F 75, cotrigger with 4mg Lupron/2500 units HCG. I had 2 lead follicles early in the process so skipping the estrace priming was probably a mistake and will be added to the next egg retrieval cycle. My estrogen level was a bit high so changed to cotrigger Lupron with HCG instead of only HCG. 16 eggs retrieved, 9 mature eggs, 7 fertilized, 6 grew to day 6 for biopsy + PGS, 1 euploid embryo
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Teona)
I spoke to the nurse very rarely. Two issues happened - the nursing team couldn't call in my prescriptions in time for the first scheduled egg retrieval in early June. This was the reason my cycle was pushed out. Second issue, is that no one called with my 2nd blood draw numbers and so I didn't change my dosage. It's unknown whether a dosage change would have been needed but I was instructed after my 3rd blood draw that if I hadn't heard from anyone that day to call (even to ER line after hours) the day of a blood draw to confirm the dosage amounts.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thalia Segal at UCSF.
$15k fertility services charged to BCBS insurance, paid $8k out of pocket. $5k fertility prescriptions charged to BCBS insurance, paid $2500 out of pocket
UCSF always talks about the goal being a singleton pregnancy so I believe they will only implant 1 at a time. I'm also high risk due to autoimmune conditions so implanting 1 has been my expectation from the beginning.
What specific things went wrong at UCSF?
San Francisco

Dr . Segal is extremely personable and down to earth . I felt an immediate connection with her as a human being . ... But always very straight forward in expectations and results. It was a great experience with her and I’m great til we are under her care . ... I was on a mini stimulation protocol. Unfortunately I still over responded to the medication
I honestly had a great experience with UCSF , they also offer a pharmacy discount program which helped us tremendously with the high cost of fertility medication. They are always friendly and in positive moods. I would highly recommend UCSF to anyone looking for infertility treatments. ... [Nursing Staff] Very friendly and Compassionate, always gets back to me in a timely manner.
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
Dr Segal is very down to earth and Compassionate. But always very straight forward in expectations and results. It was a great experience with her and I’m great til we are under her care . I would recommend her and UCSF to anyone needing infertility treatment .
Nothing really other then to try and stay positive.
I was on a mini stimulation protocol. Unfortunately I still over responded to the medication and had to cancel my gray embryo transfer and go to a frozen cycle . But I’m glad they were safe with me and my body .
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Suvonne )
Very friendly and Compassionate, always gets back to me in a timely manner.
About $9,000
Yes they are very into single embryo transfers with the high risk involved in multiple
2019, Consult
Since I have PCOS which is her [Dr. Thalia Segal's] study direction, I think she provided me and explained some key findings to me clearly...for certain concerns she may not be able to answer and need consult other doctors...mini stimulation IVF, but so far I haven’t received my protocol or calendar...I had an initial consultation with Dr. Segal. She is a very nice person and answered my long list of questions one by one. I don’t think she is that experienced compared with other doctors in UCSF. But she will try to find the answer or consult Dr Cedars if necessary.
Ruth [nurse at UCSF] is nice however I don’t feel she follow up everything on a timely manner. Normally when u call them, it will be transferred to voicemail. You may get a call back within 2 days...Mini IVF costs around 6-7k, IVF one around is around 16k...is fully packed with tech and good staffs. The only thing is it’s a big hospital, so as a patient, you need know to keep track everything and push for the results. Otherwise you will be at loss and don’t know what’s your next step. So far, I haven’t experienced any billing issues. Just cannot get in touch with my care team made me but frustrated, already tried both patient portal and phone call.
How was your experience with Thalia Segal at UCSF?
Since I have PCOS which is her study direction, I think she provided me and explained some key findings to me clearly. The only thing is she is young and not that experienced, for certain concerns she may not be able to answer and need consult other doctors.
Be prepared before your visit and know what do you really want to do.
I will go ahead with mini stimulation IVF, but so far I haven’t received my protocol or calendar.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Ruth)
Ruth is nice however I don’t feel she follow up everything on a timely manner. Normally when u call them, it will be transferred to voicemail. You may get a call back within 2 days. Or....you need call and push again...like what’s happening on me now.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is fully packed with tech and good staffs. The only thing is it’s a big hospital, so as a patient, you need know to keep track everything and push for the results. Otherwise you will be at loss and don’t know what’s your next step. So far, I haven’t experienced any billing issues. Just cannot get in touch with my care team made me but frustrated, already tried both patient portal and phone call.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thalia Segal at UCSF.
Mini IVF costs around 6-7k, IVF one around is around 16k.