Medical SchoolU. of Cincinnati
Cincinnati, OH 45209
7242 Tylers Corner
West Chester, OH 45069
513.924.5550
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Thomas Burwinkel to a friend?

6.9

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Institute for Reproductive Health to a friend?
Dr. Burwinkle was very down to earth and was up-front and honest with us. Although our cycle was unsuccessful, Dr. Burwinkle made sure to call me personally the day of the results to ensure I was doing okay and to answer any questions we may have at that point. He knew he would be out of town the following week and wanted to be the one to talk to us about our treatment and concerns. I thought that was really nice...does have a good bedside manor but a slightly dry sense of humor so don’t expect him to paint a pretty picture- he is going to be honest (in a kind way) with you.
How was your experience with Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Dr. Burwinkle was down to earth and to the point. He communicated well about our treatment plan and was very kind after our failed cycle. He might have even used a light-hearted curse word once which made my husband feel at ease (haha). Although our results were not what we had hoped for, doctors are humans, and we know it’s a risky business anyway. I truly feel like Dr. Burwinkle had our best at heart to achieve a healthy pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Dr. Burwinkle does have a good bedside manor but a slightly dry sense of humor so don’t expect him to paint a pretty picture- he is going to be honest (in a kind way) with you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Describe the protocols Thomas Burwinkel used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Health and their degree of success.
I have never been diagnosed with PCOS but my AMH level at the time of treatment was high. Because of that, we used a fairly low dose of injectable medications (Gonal F @ 125, a couple of doses of Cetrotide and Ovidrel). I produced approximately 8 follicles with 7 mature eggs of 4 fertilized. Unfortunately only one of them were able to be transferred and none left to freeze. Dr. Burwinkle stated after that he would increase the dose of medications in future cycles.
My favorite nurse, Katie, was wonderful. She was the nurse who educated me on my last visit before egg retrieval and on the day of retrieval as well. She made me feel so comfortable and safe during the whole process. As a nurse myself, I hope to make my patients feel as cared for as she did for me. The nursing staff is extremely busy but always did a good job returning phone calls, even if you feel like you call their office 100 times a day.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
This process is hard, and I would go back to IRH in a heartbeat if the funds ever allow for it. I felt comfortable at all times and I think they truly want the best for all patients- a happy, healthy pregnancy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health.
One full cycle including ICSI, medications, the whole nine yards, cost approximately $15,000.00.
Describe Thomas Burwinkel's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Health.
Our clinic prefers to transfer single embryos which I was fine with at the time. Knowing what I know now, I wish we would have transferred more but hindsight is 50/50. No one to blame for that. I understand and respect the reasoning behind only transferring one embryo at a time based on a fairly healthy and hopeful scenario.
Cincinnati

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health.

Dr Burwinkel is more dry and matter of fact, but seems to be very caring. He is very open to answering all of your questions and talking through steps....He performed emergency surgery for an ovarian torsion caused by OHSS from the fertility drugs. He was kind and caring before surgery and at my follow up....I have lean PCOS and am very healthy and active. I had previously taken five rounds of unmonitored clomid with my gynecologist, and they did not show ovulation when looking at my basal body temperature.
Dr Burwinkel is more dry and matter of fact, but seems to be very caring. He is very open to answering all of your questions and talking through steps. We are just now starting the IVF process, but I have heard nothing but good things about him as a doctor from others who have successfully gone through IVF.
Know that he is very dry and matter of fact, but does seem to care for his patients and their success!
I have lean PCOS and am very healthy and active. I had previously taken five rounds of unmonitored clomid with my gynecologist, and they did not show ovulation when looking at my basal body temperature. Dr. Burwinkel suggested trying Letrozole and then Ovidrel to trigger ovulation along with timed intercourse for three months before moving on to IUI or IVF. During this first cycle with these drugs, he performed an emergency laparoscopy on me due to an ovarian torsion. He believes it was caused from the combination of infertility meds. He managed to save the ovary (it was twisted three times). He has me waiting two full cycles and then we are looking at IVF to hopefully be able to retrieve eggs from the ovary that was twisted and then remove it if it causes another torsion.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
There are three locations and one is close to me. This one does not do procedures, but is there for blood work, ultrasounds, and follow ups. The clinic is small, but it is nice and clean and organized. The nurses who greet you are very welcoming and discreet.
Each ultrasound cost me $50 due to being coded as PCOS. Lab work for one cycle was $255 (not covered). My genetic test was covered due to meeting my deductible, but it would have cost me several hundred dollars. My emergency surgery is costing me around 2000.
West Chester

I know a lot of clinics want you at a specific BMI or weight before they even consider tresteing you, and I was worried about that the most before meeting Dr. Burwinkel but that definitely wasn’t the case! He had a game plan and we started treatment right away!...He knows this is hard, he gets it and he understands. He will hear you out and give you the answers you need!... always seemed to be able pick up right where we had left off from previous meetings and appointments. I never had to refresh his memory about previous discussions or treatments.
European, East Asian
Dr. Burwinkel is one of the best doctors that I have ever had. He actually listens to what you have to say, and he doesn’t belittle or make you feel you’re questions or feelings are silly, stupid, or unimportant. He’s optimistic and has a great bedside manner and attitude. I was diagnosed with PCOS (before Dr. Burwinkel) and my weight is a problem resulting from my diagnosis. I know a lot of clinics want you at a specific BMI or weight before they even consider tresteing you, and I was worried about that the most before meeting Dr. Burwinkel but that definitely wasn’t the case! He had a game plan and we started treatment right away! I have nothing bad to say about Dr. Burwinkel! Every meeting I’ve had with him has been as perfect as I could imagine.
Don’t be afraid to ask your questions, no matter how silly or stupid you may think it is! He knows this is hard, he gets it and he understands. He will hear you out and give you the answers you need!
Dr. Burwinkle always seemed to be able pick up right where we had left off from previous meetings and appointments. I never had to refresh his memory about previous discussions or treatments.
With Dr. Burwinkle I was prescribed 1400mg of metformin daily. He then prescribed me to take 5mg (two pills) of letrozole on days 3-7 of my cycle. We then would schedule a scan to check follicle progress on day 11-13 of my cycle. Depending on the progress and maturation of the follicles, I was told when to take my ovidrel trigger shot to induce ovulation. 36 hours after the trigger shot we had our IUI. The first cycle I had one mature follicle and I took my trigger shot approx day 16-18 of my cycle. The second cycle I had to be prescribed more letrozole in the middle of my cycle due to my follicles not being as mature when the doctor wanted. I had to come back for a second scan and was given my trigger shot around day 18-19. The third cycle I had one good mature follicle, and a second one that may or may not have been mature by ovulation day. None of my cycles resulted in any type of pregnancy or success.
The nurses were very compassionate and understand of situations. They know why we’re there and they seem to care very much in making you comfortable and helping with your success in any way they can.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is very organized. The whole staff is understanding and always in a pleasant mood. It’s a comfortable and inviting atmosphere. You can tell everyone enjoys their jobs and making a difference in people’s lives. The main negative with IRH to me was the fact that my doctor I was referred to, I only saw two-three times of the many appointments I had. I feel I’m not able to have as good of a relationship with one doctor because you don’t know which doctor you’re going to get that day for your visit or procedure (IUI in my case). I even had a nurse practitioner a couple of times because the clinic was double booked. I wasn’t happy I couldn’t build a closer relationship with the doctors since it feels like you’re always getting passed around.
Copay for appointments: $35 Sperm wash: $225 IUI procedure: $250 Ovidrel trigger shot: $95 Letrozole: $15
Cincinnati

My husband has no medical background or experience and Dr. Burwinkel speaks to us in terms that he understands. He treats us in a way that makes us feel like he truly cares about us and is doing everything he can to help us start a family. I highly recommend Dr Burwinkel!...He has been great at answering any questions we have. I feel like he gives us his honest opinion of our treatment option...We started with using Letrozole, Ovidrel, and timed intercourse. I had taken Letrozole with my regular OB doctor and knew it worked but Dr. Burwinkel increased the dose and also continued Metformin I had previously been prescribed for PCOS. After 3 rounds of timed intercourse we moved on to IUI.
Dr. Burwinkel is great! He is very kind but also does not sugar-coat things which I like. I feel like he gives us his honest opinion of our treatment options. He speaks to us like actual humans, not just a number or patient. My husband has no medical background or experience and Dr. Burwinkel speaks to us in terms that he understands. He treats us in a way that makes us feel like he truly cares about us and is doing everything he can to help us start a family. I highly recommend Dr Burwinkel!
Have questions ready to ask before your appointment. He has been great at answering any questions we have. I feel like he gives us his honest opinion of our treatment options.
I felt like he treated me like a human. I feel like he is truly doing everything he can to help us start a family. His bedside manner is great and talks to us like friends, not patients. I received not so great news from him over the phone after our first IUI and he told me he was praying for us. It really made me feel like he truly cared.
The nurses are great with answering any questions I have and returning my calls promptly. They always seem so caring and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The staff is amazing! They are always so caring and seem to truly want to make our dream of having a family a reality. They are always so helpful with any questions we have. The only weakness I can think of is contacting them. When you call the office you are sent to a voicemail where you are to leave a message and then they call back. They usually return my call quickly though.
I was surprised by the cost in a good way! Much more affordable than most clinics I have heard of which is important because my health insurance does not cover fertility treatment.

2012 - 2018
Dr. Burwinkel was always extremely patient. It didn’t matter how many questions we had or how many times we may have asked the same questions, he was always willing to answer them honestly and break down the answer to help us understand the process better, if necessary...was always available for whatever we needed. He never rushed our visits, he was kind and patient, he was always thorough in explanation of drugs, procedures, next steps, risks, and outcome probability. I had to have a surgery at a local hospital and Dr. Burwinkel was right there updating my husband and performing the surgery before going into the clinic for the day. We couldn’t have had better care.
2012 - 2018
Dr. Burwinkel was always available for whatever we needed. He never rushed our visits, he was kind and patient, he was always thorough in explanation of drugs, procedures, next steps, risks, and outcome probability. I had to have a surgery at a local hospital and Dr. Burwinkel was right there updating my husband and performing the surgery before going into the clinic for the day. We couldn’t have had better care.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and express your concerns. He will address any concern you have as many times as you need.
We started with a routine clomid cycle with an ovidrel trigger because my cycles were normal and everything seemed to be “okay” with us. After that cycle failed, I had a hysteroscopy which showed some uterine polyps. Not long after I had a polypectomy and D&C to remove the polyps and thin out my uterine lining. Once that healed, we went back for another clomid cycle + IUI and that also failed. By this time, we had spent a lot of money out of pocket and had to take a break to recover.
The nursing staff was always very friendly and efficient. They were always helpful in the office and always available for a chat over the phone if we had questions. I never felt like I was being ignored or put off in person or over the phone. Knowing that every patient is a priority put my mind at ease.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
We had great experiences at IRH, but we did have some troubles getting timely test results and figuring out how to pay our bills. I understand that my husband and I are different people and we have separate files, but it was like our files weren’t referenced with the other. It took a few days to get any answers about my husband’s SA. They didn’t call him. We called them and they couldn’t find anything to tell us. I found that part of the process to be a bit exhausting. It was a lot of back and forth with the office to get the answers that they said they were going to call us with several days earlier. I do understand that they’re busy and all we needed was for someone to give us a realistic timeline and we would’ve been less frustrated. Other than that, we had a solid “10” experience.
I honestly can’t remember. We spent a lot of money in a short period of time, but I can’t remember any specifics.
West Chester

He [Dr. Thomas Burwinkel] was always polite to us, and prior to treatment after my baseline he was extra nice getting me ready for my injections. I went into it more than feeling prepared for the cycle to begin. I had my options already laid out and decided.... You may not see "your" doctor for everything but it is okay. I saw all 4 doctors at different points and liked them all. Dr. Schrieber did most of my scans, Dr. Adawalla did my retrieval and Dr. O'Leary did my transfer. All were really nice and good at what they do.
He was always polite to us, and prior to treatment after my baseline he was extra nice getting me ready for my injections. I went into it more than feeling prepared for the cycle to begin. I had my options already laid out and decided.
Do it. The office is a great place. I love all the doctors.
The appointments were always on time but were also very fast, albeit effective. Sometimes if I didn't ask a question I didn't have things explained, but they knew what they were doing and were ALWAYS polite and the important bits made sure to make you aware.
Took the pill for about 2 weeks. Then had a suppression check. Got my initial doses, which were updated at my first scan and adjusted from there. Adjusted again at my next two, and ended up with 100% fertilized from mature eggs!
They were always quick to respond to messages no matter how silly I thought they were. They were very positive and the nurses all seem to be in the right specialty. Each one told me good luck. One even made sure that my progesterone was no red pills because no one needed the additional stress of the pink. It was the little details.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
They offer global billing with my insurance so the pricing was great. Even without insurance it was a fraction of the cost of a normal cycle.
At first I was hesitant but then I understood. If the cycle isn't successful I will approach the issue of transferring two.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Other
Dr. Burwinkel is definitely a straight shooter. He's not one for false promises of success or sugar coating a point. However, this doesn't mean he's without empathy. He's provided wonderful care through my unsuccessful pregnancies and has always given me clear next steps for things we'll try next time.... Dr. Burwinkel has typically made a lot of time to answer all of my questions, but sometimes is busy and clearly trying to get through his patient list as quickly as possible.
European, Other
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Other
Dr. Burwinkel is definitely a straight shooter. He's not one for false promises of success or sugar coating a point. However, this doesn't mean he's without empathy. He's provided wonderful care through my unsuccessful pregnancies and has always given me clear next steps for things we'll try next time. In 2018, we had success with his treatment and welcomed our daughter into the world.
Be completely honest about your history and situation in your consultation. He can't help to the best of his abilities without full and complete information.
Metformin for PCOS, folic acid/COQ-10 supplements for healthy eggs, Letrozole to boost egg health at time of ovulation, Ovidrel to stimulate ovulation. (RPL, basic therapy only)
Nursing staff actually seem to care about patients. I don't feel like "just another number" when I talk to them. They give the easiest and most painless blood draws I've ever experienced, and they actually seem interested in getting to know patients beyond what's on the chart.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The biggest strength is the people - everyone is so friendly that it really puts my mind at ease. But the biggest weakness is the telephone system. Being basic therapy and never being able to get through to an actual person is irritating. Running late for an appointment? There's no way to let the staff know. Trying to decide if you need to go to urgent care/ER or if you might be overreacting? Leave a message and they'll call back "sometime". Both of these are situations I've experienced and it has been incredibly frustrating each time. Being a non-IVF patient is like being a second class citizen - you're not really important in their grand scheme of things.
Do not remember all costs.

Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Burwinkel was exceptional. He was easy to talk to and took time to explain all of our options and each course of action. He was on time, readily available anytime we had questions, and showed compassion while being upfront and honest about the situation. I highly recommend him...We used chlomid for two cycles and then moved on to two fresh cycles of IVF and one frozen. The fresh cycles caused excessive bloating and Dr. B monitored me very closely. I never felt unsafe and always felt like they took my care at the highest priority.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Burwinkel was exceptional. He was easy to talk to and took time to explain all of our options and each course of action. He was on time, readily available anytime we had questions, and showed compassion while being upfront and honest about the situation. I highly recommend him and the staff at IRH.
Be patient & Dr. Burwinkel and his staff will do anything they can to help you through this difficult process. Ask questions and when you forget the answers don’t be afraid to reach out and ask again. Dr. B and his staff are so kind and patient!
The doctors and staff at IRH were exceptional. They knew me by name, listened to my concerns, and were always considerate of how emotionally trying IVF is. They became my cheerleaders and a major support system during this difficult time.
The nurses were so helpful! They also knew me by name without my chart in their hands. They answered my questions constantly and never made me feel silly for asking the same questions over and over again. They were a huge part of my experience at IRH. The day we heard our babies heartbeat, they gathered around to see ultrasound pics in the hallway and cheered as we left when we “graduated.” I remember feeling so excited but so sad not to be with their amazing staff!
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic was always clean, very professional, compassionate employees, and readily available staff to help. Our experience couldn’t have been better. They worked around my teaching schedule and helped make sure that I could maintain my job obligations and work on growing my family.
We participated in a money back garuantee program at IVF. The cost was a little more than $20,000 not including medications. This cost about another $7,000. We were seen for 2 fresh cycles and 1 frozen during this time.
Dr. Burwinkel did a single embryo transfer the first time and then two embryo transfers with two. He talked us through the pros and cons of both, told us his recommendation, and listened to our concerns and wants. Ultimately it was a collective decision that I felt very good about.
Cincinnati

Dr. Burwinkle is a very passionate physician and took the time to go over all of my medical history as well as my spouse and has always been present for all of my transfers and retrievals. ... Dr. Burwinkel makes you feel like you matter and not a science experiment. We had gotten a negative pregnancy result (January 2018) and he called me on a Saturday morning and explained our next steps and just took the time to sympathize with me.
Dr. Burwinkel makes you feel like you matter and not a science experiment. We had gotten a negative pregnancy result (January 2018) and he called me on a Saturday morning and explained our next steps and just took the time to sympathize with me. We've been going through fertility treatments for several years now and hes by far the best doctor Ive had. I had a miscarriage in June 2018 and he sat down with myself and husband just to talk about how we were feeling.
In the beginning he may not say much because he's doing alot of assessment and trying to find the best plan for you. But once he starts to share his plan and concerns, here comes all the compassion and long talks :)
Dr. Burwinkle is a very passionate physician and took the time to go over all of my medical history as well as my spouse and has always been present for all of my transfers and retrievals. With 3 doctors now in that practice, anyone could handle your transfer. He has always given us the good and bad but alwaya remains positive to give us peace of mind. He is an awesome physician
For our transfer, we collectively decided to do ERA testing ( since we had 2 consecutive failed transfers) during a mock transfer to determine if we were transferring on the correct day. I took estradiol and progesterone 3xs/day and until transfer and then we did the procedure. The test turned out to be very useful. After the results came back and we did our normal transfer we go pregnant (ended in miscarriage).
There is a nurse team and you never know who you will work with. I do not like this approach because I dont want a different nurse everytime I have a question or concern. I can not tell you any of the nurses names in the practice and if you call, you get a voicemail. You never speak to a live person which I also do not like.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The staff is friendly and supportive but its so many people that you dont know who is who. Going through IVF, I was not assigned a personal care nurse and I had one at my other clinic, so be prepared to have anyone call you back or assist you
General cost was around 7k
For multiples, he has made suggestions to us to try it but ultimately it was our decision on what we wanted to do.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
I owe my chance at becoming a mother to Dr. Burwinkel. From our first visit he treated myself and my husband with respect and always gave us the most honest information. He never promised that he would make me a mother, but told me that he would do anything to help me become one. He answered every question that I had, and I had a lot of them. Every treatment was fully explained. I never felt as if I was unaware of what was happening to my body. He was compassionate with each loss that we experienced and gave us the facts each time there was a setback. When we were finally able to have a full term pregnancy and I gave birth to my little boy in April 2018.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
Do your own research and never be afraid to ask questions.
Every time I walked into IRH, I felt as if people knew who I was. There was a receptionist who greeted us upon entry. We never had a long wait time in the waiting room, they valued our time as employed adults. Dr. Burwinkel and staff always greeted us by name and remember what it was that we were here for. He celebrated with us in successful treatment and mourned with us with each loss of pregnancy.
I took Letrozole (similar to Clomid), we did the injection to release my eggs and then did IUI. I had four rounds of IUI. Two resulted in miscarriages and one was a viable pregnancy.
I love the IRH nursing staff. They showed as much compassion as the doctors do. Many times I saw the nurses more often, due to blood draws. They are just as informed as the doctors and always answered any questions that I had.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
IRH has no weaknesses. I would, and have, recommended IRH to anyone who is going through fertility problems. I never had an issue with scheduling or appointments. The wait time in the waiting room and the treatment room was minimal. My husband and I were very lucky to be able to cover the cost of our fertility treatments; however, I know that they are great with working with families on payment plans if they cannot cover the cost at once.
Fertility treatment is not cheap. Each round of IUI cost about $900 including pills, shots, doctor appointments, and procedures. In addition to the IUIs, I had to have laparoscopic surgery for the chemical pregnancy and a D&C for the miscarriages. Each of these procedures was an additional cost.

Anovulation, Other
I have the hormone profile of someone w hypothalamic amenorrhea but ovaries that appear like PCOS. I don’t have periods nor ovulate. So we [with Dr. Thomas Burwinkel] did OCPs, gonal F and menopur (which I bought from overseas to save money and he allowed), Ovidrel, and PIO (which I prefer to suppositories so he allowed it). I believe gonal f is good when you have low FSH (to improve number of eggs retrieved) and menopur is good when you have low LH (to improve egg quality) - if I remember correctly - this may be reversed if I’m not remembering right.
Anovulation, Other
He was very patient and explained things thoroughly at consultation and retrieval day. He was thorough and empathetic. He gave me advice when I had some tough decisions to make. He was also patient and thorough at our visits post-embryo transfer, and gave us a great personal recommendation for our OB too.
Write down the questions you want answered before consultation
He spent plenty of time chatting w me during consultation, answering all of my questions and even giving me advice on tough decisions I had to make
I have the hormone profile of someone w hypothalamic amenorrhea but ovaries that appear like PCOS. I don’t have periods nor ovulate. So we did OCPs, gonal F and menopur (which I bought from overseas to save money and he allowed), Ovidrel, and PIO (which I prefer to suppositories so he allowed it). I believe gonal f is good when you have low FSH (to improve number of eggs retrieved) and menopur is good when you have low LH (to improve egg quality) - if I remember correctly - this may be reversed if I’m not remembering right. But since mine were both low, we used both! Gonal F was cheaper shipped on ice from Israel and the menopur was a cheaper generic version from the UK. Both obviously worked fine bc we have a live Singleton and one frozen we have yet to try: Ten eggs retrieved, 5 embryos, one was day 5 blastocyst 4aa and the frozen one is a day 6 blastocyst 4bb. I felt Dr. Burwinkle allowed me to give input on how I wanted to do my stims/cycle (I had a lot of opinions due to transferring from another local clinic that I had been very unhappy with).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Jackie)
Jackie (and the other IRH nurses) are so caring patient, and thorough (unlike the other local clinic I had been at prior to IRH). They squeezed me in on the very last day possible to start an IVF cycle (before the lab did their yearly temporary close) when I called them crying and desperate (bc my original clinic started me on IVF meds and then told me they were full and I had to wait another 3 months!)
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The Rookwood office is absolutely beautiful and looks more like a spa than a doctors office. They have multiple financial advisors on site. He other locations are smaller but still very organized, clean, and modern looking.
We paid $20,000 cash for the “money back” program which allows I think up to six (??) fresh/frozen cycles with a two year (??) period. I forget the exact details but we decided to do that knowing that if it failed or I miscarried we could try again without paying more. The other option was lying $8500 (ish?) cash for one frozen cycle. My insurance really was no help so we went the cash route. It worked the first time so we call her our $20,000 baby! But it was worth it.
I would’ve like to transfer two embryos, but I only had one day 5 blastocyst. The other two needed another day to (try) to get to blastocyst stage - so I really didn’t have that option. They do feel strongly about “one healthy baby” at a time, but I believe would allow two embryos transferred if patient prefers

IUI, 1 IVF
We were not informed of the options [by Dr. Thomas Burwinkel] before our procedures, specifically ICSI and transfer strategy for optimal results... We had no idea we would be faced with the choices [for how many to transfer] while i was in the transfer procedure. These important details of how many and odds should be discussed in advance...I saw him only twice during my care. I did not feel as though he was treating me but rather the entire staff at IRH. Had we had a consistent set of information and communication we would have made different choices. I feel I wasted time and money going there.
IUI, 1 IVF
I am sure Dr. Burwinkel is a find physician but I wouldn't know too much since I saw him only twice during my care. I did not feel as though he was treating me but rather the entire staff at IRH. Had we had a consistent set of information and communication we would have made different choices. I feel I wasted time and money going there.
Know what you need and expect in your fertility treatment before you go.
The care at IRH is set up to be treated like a number. There was no personal care and i'm not even sure they knew my name. I had to repeat my issues, why we were there and our current status multiple times.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic definitely has strength in numbers based on the number of patients they have, however you are treated like that, a number. I believe their intention is great but not having any email access and only voicemail makes for a challenging communication exchange throughout the day. Not being able to contact them in any other way but voicemail is next to impossible in my line of work. We couldn't get our questions answered in a timely fashion based on this.
The costs were pretty straight forward. They provided a pricing sheet up front for all of the procedures but there was no coordination with my insurance company beyond the pre authorization paperwork. I had to contact the insurance company in order to determine what would be covered. I was never able to get a straight answer from either party. It was unclear to me how much I would owe. In total with my company's coverage ($5,000) and I paid $6K out of pocket for a round of IVF and single transfer. We had no embryos left to freeze and did not do ICSI.
It would have been nice to discuss this strategy and options before the transfer. We had no idea we would be faced with the choices while i was in the transfer procedure. These important details of how many and odds should be discussed in advance.
Cincinnati

I really enjoyed Dr. Burwinkel’s bedside manner however, a couple times I felt like he wasn’t 100% informed on who I was in particular...started back on treatment which was a timed intercourse cycle and when I came in for an ultrasound to check for follicles, he just looked at my uterus with the ultrasound and didn’t measure any follicles. He made it seem like he thought this was a post-op follow up and didn’t really provide the correct information for me for my trigger timing. I started to lose confidence after that visit but continued with him for multiple other cycles, eventually leading me to IVF.
Dr. Burwinkel has 2 partners that cover him when he is off which is really nice. However, after my first IVF cycle did not result in pregnancy and few eggs/embryos with nothing to freeze, the protocol was not really changed. I don’t know if this was because his partner was covering but I never understood why a similar protocol would have different results. When I had even fewer eggs retrieved and only 1 embryo, I started to wonder if something else was wrong with me as I knew I had a high AMH and should have a lot of eggs. That transfer did result in pregnancy but ended in a second trimester miscarriage due to Down’s syndrome. When I saw Dr. Burwinkel following my miscarriage, he was very compassionate but was unable to come up with a plan for me to get more, better quality embryos in a future cycle. I think I lost all confidence at that time.
Provide details and keep patients informed.
I really enjoyed Dr. Burwinkel’s bedside manner however, a couple times I felt like he wasn’t 100% informed on who I was in particular. I had to have surgery and saw him for a post-op appointment which was fine. I then started back on treatment which was a timed intercourse cycle and when I came in for an ultrasound to check for follicles, he just looked at my uterus with the ultrasound and didn’t measure any follicles. He made it seem like he thought this was a post-op follow up and didn’t really provide the correct information for me for my trigger timing. I started to lose confidence after that visit but continued with him for multiple other cycles, eventually leading me to IVF.
My first IVF cycle was done with Follistim which was initially started at a moderate dose. When my estrogen jumped up, the dose was greatly reduced which later caused my estrogen to drop and I was offered to the chance to cancel the cycle. Since I had insurance coverage, I decided to proceed. I had 5 eggs retrieved. On day 1, none had fertilized so we did rescue ICSI that resulted in 2 embryos which were both transferred on day 3. This resulted in no pregnancy. For my second cycle, the Follistim was pretty much the same. I did take letrozole in the beginning with this cycle. Again my estrogen quickly increased so my Follistim was decreased and again my estrogen dropped and resulted in fewer eggs. I did have one 3 day embryo with ICSI which resulted in pregnancy, but later a miscarriage.
The nurses were always nice and caring. They didn’t however provide a lot of detailed information.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is large with multiple providers which can be good or bad. They always have someone to take care of you, it just may not be someone who is super familiar with you in particular. It is easy to get an appointment and their multiple locations are helpful. For the most part they are compassionate but I did have one provider who somewhat scolded me that I needed to make IVF a “priortiy.” This was after I had gone through several less invasive procedures and a previous egg retrieval and transfer over the course of a year and a half. I was also continuing to work full time and drive 90 minutes one way just to get to my appointment. I think I was making it a priority and was kind of offended by how that was mentioned to me.
I had insurance coverage so I can only guess for the cab pay price. I believe IVF with ICSI and hatching is around $12,000 a cycle. A transfer is about $1000.
Cincinnati

Dr. Burwinkel is such an amazing doctor. He has gone above and beyond to help get my pregnant, and always listens to me. I had a miscarriage after an IUI in the summer of 2016. During my D&C, right before I was put under, I started crying. Dr. B. came to my side and held my hand as I was put to sleep for the procedure. I will never, ever forget the compassion he showed during that difficult time. Dr. B is always honest with me and does what is right for me and my situation. I could not ever imagine seeing another doctor or going ot another practice.
Be open and honest with Dr. B about your thoughts on your protocol. He WILL listen! Advocate for yourself, too.
I always felt like a human and not just a number. Dr. B did what was right for me and my situation and always gave me the honest information.
IUIs 1-4: 5mg Femara and Ovidrel IUI 1 resulted in miscarriage with a D&C at 9 weeks. IUIs 2-4 were negative. IVF 1: 175 Follistim, then increased to 225. Ganirelix and Ovidrel--rationale, I have PCOS and did not want my to hyper stimulate. Prometrium after retrieval and through transfer. 2 Blasts, 1 transferred and did not result in pregnancy. FET 1: Estrace 2mg a day, then PIO. Frozen embryo transferred and did not result in pregnancy. IVF 2: 150 Follistim and 75 Menopur. The last twp days of stims, we upped the Follistim to 225. Ganirelix and Ovidrel. Added in medrol and baby asprin after the retrieval. Added PIO after retrieval. 7 total blasts. 2 transferred. Currently pregnant and waiting for my first ultrasound to determine if it's a singleton or twin pregnancy.
I absolutely LOVE the nursing staff. They are ALL caring and compassionate and go out of their way to help us. I could not imagine going through this journey without them!
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The only weakness is when you call the office, you always have to leave a voicemail. However, the nurses/staff are quick to respond.
We used insurance for the IUIs, so the cost to us was around $100 per IUI. For IVF, we did the money back guarantee program with ICSI and that was around 22k (or 70% back if no live birth).
With my first IVF cycle, we did one embryo. Same with the FET because we only had 1 embryo left. After those two cycles failed, Dr. B decided to transfer two embryos moving forward. I trusted his judgement with the single and multiple embryo transfers.

1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
[Dr. Thomas Burwinkel] he was really compassionate and he also was very truthful from the start and took his time with us and answered all of our questions. He's awesome! He was the doctor that I saw every visit during my first IVF round, only one time during that 1st round I had to see one of his partners (it was a holiday weekend), but he told me that I was going to have to see one of his partners, so I was prepared and I was ok with that.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Again he was really compassionate and he also was very truthful from the start and took his time with us and answered all of our questions. He's awesome! He was the doctor that I saw every visit during my first IVF round, only one time during that 1st round I had to see one of his partners (it was a holiday weekend), but he told me that I was going to have to see one of his partners, so I was prepared and I was ok with that.
Come prepared to answer some questions from him and know that he is ok with you having a voice in your treatment!
He has a wonderful bedside manner, he also really cares about his patients and even when things don't go the way I wanted he called me to answer my questions and to genuinely check on me.
I was on birth control for 22 days, started a period and the started follistim, then added menopure, and ganarellix. Then eventually a Hcg shot and progesterone vaginal suppositories. I can't exactly remember how many days of the follistim, I think it was 12, I remember I had to increase 1 time and then had to order more of it and the menopure. My egg retrevial was intense, I was hyperstimed and he retrieved 21 eggs and I was put on some medication to help with my HSS. Out of the 21 eggs we had 5, 5 day embryos. We transferred 1 and froze the other 4. BFN on day 14, post transfer, I also started my period that day. I'm currently waiting to test, I will on Thursday, we used 2 frozen embryos on Friday March 24th. I don't think I am pregnant though.
I am a nurse, but being a patient is totally different. The nurses there are sweet and always considerate of your feelings. They know what to say when your feeling nervous and overwhelmed. Very comforting
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I really can't speak about any weaknesses, other than maybe billing. They submitted some things to my insurance and I'm a self pay patient, my insurance covers nothing for infertility. They have GREAT success with IVF so that's why I chose to go there!
IRH has the best price for IVF in the area.
I told him whatever he thought was best I trust him and that's why I travel over an hour to see him.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
Dr Burwinkel is amazing. Caring, compassionate, yet knows when to give you the hard truths. Plus, he looks at you as individuals and as a couple, not as a "diagnosis box". Each month the treatment is personalized. Ask all the questions you want! Don't be scared that he needs to be in charge. He listens and respects all of your questions and knows when it's best to push back with his own experience and knowledge.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
Our treatment was very personalized and he took the time to get to know us and our situation.
- 2.5mg Femara due to high AMH with timed intercourse, no luck (x3) - 2.5mg Femara with IUI, no luck (x1) - No injectible IUIs due to high AMH and significant chance of high multiples - IVF with low-dose gonal-f, Cetrotide, and Ovidrel for trigger... Nervous about OHSS so set the expectation to only retrieve first cycle, then FET next cycle. Didn't end up needing to because the dosage was perfect and no OHSS!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Sarah and Jackie)
They are all amazing and very, very willing to answer all questions. Feel free to call the nurses line and ask even the silliest questions!
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
This clinic is amazing. However, be forewarned that there are 3 locations that the doctors rotate through, so be prepared to switch between doctors. They will schedule you for who is available at the day and time you need an appointment. But it honestly didn't bother me at all because all of the doctors were absolutely amazing and caring.
IVF standard - $8,200 IVF Money-back Guarantee - $18,000 (3 cycles) ICSI - $1,100 Embryo Cropreservation Initial - $200 Embryo Cryostorage Quarterly - $400

1 IVF, Donor Sperm
We did co maternity IVF this was our desire going in. He [Dr. Thomas Burwinkel] gave us information on sperm donors and did a mock ultrasound guided transfer during the first visit, also lab work. Then we scheduled our education visit where we received all of our prescriptions up front and the protocol, we were seen for our scheduled visits at the west chester location and then Cincinnati location for the procedures. 11 eggs were retrieved and 5 fertilized and the best two were transferred on day 3 unfortunately the others didn’t continue to divide.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
I instantly trusted him in my care, and the care of my wife. I do not do this lightly, he seemed confident, and competent without arrogance, and did so with compassion. I felt like he had done this so many times he probably could have done it with his eyes closed however he still took his time to explain and answer questions with the understanding that this was our first time going through this.
Ask questions, and tell him what you want, listen but also know that he will listen to you.
He called us by name and remembered past conversations ect. He never seemed rushed or bothered by my multiple questions.
We did co maternity IVF this was our desire going in. He gave us information on sperm donors and did a mock ultrasound guided transfer during the first visit, also lab work. Then we scheduled our education visit where we received all of our prescriptions up front and the protocol, we were seen for our scheduled visits at the west chester location and then Cincinnati location for the procedures. 11 eggs were retrieved and 5 fertilized and the best two were transferred on day 3 unfortunately the others didn’t continue to divide. This resulted into a healthy Singleton pregnancy which was confirmed with blood work and then an ultrasound at 6 weeks and another at 10 weeks, then our care was transferred to my OBGYN.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Heather)
Heather was amazing she was at all of my appointments besides the education and the embryo harvest and transfer. I also had a nurse line to call and talked to her and other nurses several times. One particular frustrating time I was having with the pharmacy (not associated with the clinic) heather helped me through that and took the time to just let me vent about my frustrations.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I was able to do the majority of my appointments at the west chester location which is closer to me (I live just ourtside of Dayton) but the procedures all had to be done at the Cincinnati office which I was informed of day one. It’s a longer drive but definitely worth it.
Ours were covered through insurance and we were responsible for 15 percent. We were told all of this upfront with their financial coordinator and we continue to pay for sperm storage which is once a year.
I followed his recommendation of transferring 2 on day 3 or one on day 5. I felt comfortable with this approach and was explained the risk of course of having multiples.

Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Just felt very comfortable even in the most uncomfortable situations. Dr Burwinkle, and his associates were able to get us through a very trying time. Infertility is stressful. We had male factor infertility which was doubly hard on my husbands psyche. The fact we had trouble conceiving was devastating to him after he found out. They made the process bareable, and helped us overcome all of our hurdles.
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Expect to cultivate patients...the ivf journey imparticular is long and tedious. The exact combination of medicines may take more than one cycle. We were lucky, but i read the book the clinic put out by Dr Awadalla to help prepare. Started a vitamin regimen to increase egg health and went on a diabetic diet to help control my pcos before we started.
Very professional, answered all questions in a timely manner.
I dont remember
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health.
Always very caring and descrete. For such a large practice we still felt important.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The location, at first, was a bit daunting to find. But after we learned our way around and learned a few traffic tricks...we usually just made a day of it. There is a shopping center next door, several restaurants and a couple of nice hotels. We live 2 hours away and fighting with rush hour traffic was misery.
Meds were the most expensive, i think they were about 6 thousand. Our total cost was around 13 thousand. With hotel stays and time off work the process cost close to 18 thousand. All out of pocket. Our insurance does not cover treatment and due to advanced age we didnt qualify for most programs.
They do, but due to my advanced maternal age it was decided one embryo tranfer might not be in our best interest. We opted for 2, Five day blastocyst transfers and placed the others on ice for future...we were blessed with a healthy baby boy after the first fresh transfer. And still have 2 frozen embys.
2013 - 2015
He [Dr Burwinkel] was my primary dr saw I saw him a lot and was never unhappy with any interaction with him. He's a very kind man and even printed me ultrasound pictures of my follicles when I asked him to. He always gave me a great hug the day I graduated at 8 weeks pregnant and posed for a picture with my husband and I.
2013 - 2015
He was my primary dr saw I saw him a lot and was never unhappy with any interaction with him. He's a very kind man and even printed me ultrasound pictures of my follicles when I asked him to. He always gave me a great hug the day I graduated at 8 weeks pregnant and posed for a picture with my husband and I.
Be a partner in the process. Do research and ask questions so you can make decisions with your dr.
He was always very personable and would engage in conversation about things other than our fertility. He spoke of his family and we spoke about ours and even joked about politics during embryo transfer. Very warm and friendly.
We started with IUI with clomid since I'd had ovulation success with that drug with my ob. When that didn't work we moved to femara with IUI. That also failed so he added gonal-F. I agreed to try that twice before moving to IVF. Both those cycles failed and we got started with IVF. Since I have pcos and high AMH he didn't use a high does and monitored me closely.
They are all very nice and seem committed to helping you understand everything and are pulling for you to succeed.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I didn't like that I always had to leave a message that nurses didn't answer the line once during my treatment. They did however always return calls the same day if message was before 4pm. That is my only con. Everything else was great. I especially loved the peer support group they offer that meets once a month. I made great friends there and I'm pregnant with 3 of them now!
We spent about $8K on IUI procedures. We we in the money back program and paid about $20K for that including ICSI and then $500 for freezing our embryos.

3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr. B [Thomas Burwinkel] [is very "dry" meaning, he doesn't show much emotion and is very monotone. Which might be just what some people need. My very first experience with an RE, I was obviously very nervous and had no idea what to even think. I did not feel much compassion/care from him. More as if he was like, ok the goal is to get you pregnant, so let's do this and we'll start tomorrow. Didn't give us much time to think or breathe or process what was being said.
Other, Prefer not to answer
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr. B is very "dry" meaning, he doesn't show much emotion and is very monotone. Which might be just what some people need. My very first experience with an RE, I was obviously very nervous and had no idea what to even think. I did not feel much compassion/care from him. More as if he was like, ok the goal is to get you pregnant, so let's do this and we'll start tomorrow. Didn't give us much time to think or breathe or process what was being said.
Just be prepared to advocate for yourself. Dr. B will listen to you and even if it seems like he's not, he is. He is a good person and a good doctor, just not the right fit for us. Be prepared to not be coddled with him. He'll tell you what needs done and move on. Which may be ok for some, it was not a good fit for me. I needed more compassion and bedside manner.
I did not see Dr. Burwinkel for very long. It was my first experience with a fertility doctor. I felt like they cared, however, just wanted to get me in and out and made the decision for me, rather than listening to what we wanted or were concerned about. Hard to get a hold of them too. Always had to leave a message and wait for them to call back. Never got anyone to directly answer, which is very annoying.
We did 3 IUIs. Started on Femara and then had an Ovidrel trigger shot and that was it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Kristi, I think.)
She gave me her email and responded to all of my crazy questions via email, which was good for me being a first timer and being really freaked out.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic itself wasn't too bad. The one in Hyde Park was always clean and very open and welcoming. The lady at the front desk always greeted me but that was about the extent of it. I never usually had to wait too long to be seen, either.
Around $300 per IUI + $100 for Ovidrel, so around $400 each time. I was on a payment plan and did not know that each procedure was meant to be paid for up front, until we started talking about IVF and they said it had to all be paid in full. I asked why I was able to pay by month and they said that mine was a "unique situation", which I'm unsure of why since I never discussed my finances with them.
N/A Did not do IVF with this doctor.

3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Burwinkle is friendly and knowledgeable, but he also seems to be in a hurry, so when I ask questions I feel he is rushed....Dr. Burwinkel did my first DE transfer and explained what he was doing as he did it, but then I had some questions (as I was laying on the table) and he seemed in a hurry to get out of there. Just not as warm bedside manner as I experienced in the past at my previous clinic.... My first DE cycle (negative, currently on FET cycle). E2 3x a day and Prometrium 3x a day plus a low dose aspirin 1x a day.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Burwinkel is friendly, but not as attentive as I would like. Dr. Burwinkel did my first DE transfer and explained what he was doing as he did it, but then I had some questions (as I was laying on the table) and he seemed in a hurry to get out of there. Just not as warm bedside manner as I experienced in the past at my previous clinic.
Make sure you ask lots of questions, because you may not see him every visit. Make sure you have a clear understanding of where you are in your cycle and what comes next.
My first DE cycle (negative, currently on FET cycle). E2 3x a day and Prometrium 3x a day plus a low dose aspirin 1x a day. Dr. Burwinkel never explained to me the rationale. It was the nurses who gave me my treatment plan.
The nurses here are great, just as friendly and helpful.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Strengths: the lab accepts frozen donor eggs, the nurses are very friendly and compassionate, it's conveniently located. Cons: I don't like the Dr.'s as much as the doctors at my previous clinic and their phone menu is long and confusing when you call in.
My insurance covers some of the cost, and all of my claims are still currently pending, so I am not sure what I will need to pay out of pocket. One donor egg cycle is 16K, but I will be billed a reduced amount.
We only had two blasts from our first cohort of eggs, so we implanted one and froze the other. I recall telling the nurse that I only wanted one implanted, and she said that she will note that on my chart. So, I'm not sure how they feel about implanting two.
Cincinnati

Although he [Dr. Burkinkel] is surely a well educated and competent RE, he lacks a degree of compassion or at least how to convey this. I question the degree of individuality considered in my protocol and counseling prior to the egg retrieval. Also, when I had no viable embryos after day 5, there was no follow up visit or trouble shooting for a second attempt. ... It would have been helpful to have an in person follow up to discuss what options existed.
Although he is surely a well educated and competent RE, he lacks a degree of compassion or at least how to convey this. It is very busy clinic, and I felt like I was lost in the shuffle, when I did not have favorable results.
You’d have to be your own advocate and know your own process. I’m sure he can construct a protocol and execute it.
I question the degree of individuality considered in my protocol and counseling prior to the egg retrieval. Also, when I had no viable embryos after day 5, there was no follow up visit or trouble shooting for a second attempt. At the time, I was in disbelief that we did not have anything to show from the cycle and couldn’t process everything. It would have been helpful to have an in person follow up to discuss what options existed.
I cannot recall exact dosages, but I believe pretty standard protocol for egg retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Penny)
Penny was very honest, informative and well organized. She was attentive and very good about addressing questions and concerns.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I believe a very high success rate. Many of my friends have had good luck with this clinic. They are quick to start treating and to start treatment. However, in some cases, a more thorough and thoughtful approach is more valuable than timeliness.
For preretrieval ultrasound and retrieval it was roughly $8k.
I did not make it to a transfer.
Cincinnati

We felt like just another number. [Dr. Burwinkel] Always rushed and never changed dosage of medication to attempt to have more mature follicles. Same protocol each visit. ICSI was never fully explained to us and the question to transfer one or two embryos was presented to us ten minutes before the transfer.... The protocol was very basic and standard. I feel the first round is a baseline for them and they use it to possibly make the next cycles more effective.
We felt like just another number. Always rushed and never changed dosage of medication to attempt to have more mature follicles. Same protocol each visit. ICSI was never fully explained to us and the question to transfer one or two embryos was presented to us ten minutes before the transfer.
Prepare to be rushed through your treatment. Evidently their numbers are getting better so what they are doing is working, but don't expect a lot of attention.
I accompanied my wife on every visit to the clinic. I've never seen people in a bigger hurry. IRH is a well oiled machine and we felt like just another number
Rushed. I think they all have a good attitude and try hard, there are just so many patients in and out of there every day. The nurses were very good and attentive during the retrieval and transfer.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Well, the clinic is clean, new, convenient parking, and has a nice waiting room. The person who talked to us about finances was very thorough and did not rush us. I feel that overall the clinic is nice, but the doctors are just overwhelmed. Too many patients and too little time to provide personalized care. Also very difficult to get a call back when you had a question and antiquated office procedures (hand written labels on sperm samples, hand drawn procedural calendar, etc).

2 IUI, IVF
The experience with doctor Burwinkle was very good. He explained everything thoroughly and was very realistic on each outcome. He answered all of our questions and concerns during each cycle and was empathetic to our situation.... He was the one who diagnosed me with PCOS he was very familiar with how that would affect my fertility.... He was very considerate of the way patients with PCOS would react to certain medications and dosages.
2 IUI, IVF
The experience with doctor Burwinkle was very good. He explained everything thoroughly and was very realistic on each outcome. He answered all of our questions and concerns during each cycle and was empathetic to our situation. There were no real weaknesses with his treatments.
He is a great doctor and very realistic in treatment options and outcomes.
He was very personable and came off as caring and empathetic to our situation.
He was the one who diagnosed me with PCOS he was very familiar with how that would affect my fertility. He also was the one who treated me/us for all of our attempts to conceive via timed intercourse, IUIs, And IVF. He was very considerate of the way patients with PCOS would react to certain medications and dosages. He only used medications shown to work in women with PCOS and was able to find the balance to get the best results to not overwhelm my hormones but also get the ideal response.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Sarah )
She was very easy to talk to and ask questions with. She was very thorough with my care plan and gave me peace of mind during each cycle.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic was clean and easy to get to. The only downfall would be when you call, you always have to leave a voicemail and wait to be called back. I wish you could get a hold of a nurse during bisniness hours.
They gave us a break down sheet of all the costs for treatment.
Since I was still considered young and my egg quality was good he didn’t want to transfer more than just one embryo.
Cincinnati
I went to see Dr Burwinkel for tests and an hsg procedure. During my hsg procedure a uterine polyp was found and it needed to be surgically removed... My surgery went perfectly and we continued on to medicated IUI...Dr Burwinkel is super informed and knowledgeable. He is very caring and definitely wants to see success in treatment for his patients... I have been extremely happy with his care and attentiveness...He really listened to our unique situation and he offered us many treatment options.
Dr Burwinkel is super informed and knowledgeable. He is very caring and definitely wants to see success in treatment for his patients. He performed a polyp removal surgery and we continued on to medicated IUI. I have been extremely happy with his care and attentiveness.
Do your research and ask lots of questions.
Originally I went to see Dr Burwinkel for tests and an hsg procedure. During my hsg procedure a uterine polyp was found and it needed to be surgically removed. We scheduled the surgery for 3 months later. My surgery went perfectly and we continued on to medicated IUI. I took clomid 100mg during days 3-7 and then I went in for an ultrasound, after that I did the ovidrel trigger shot and scheduled my IUI for the next day. For my second IUI we followed the same procedure, 100mg clomid on days 3-7 and then ultrasound to check follicles then trigger shot and IUI about 36 hours later.
Very helpful and attentive and encouraging.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The staff here is wonderful, everyone is very friendly and helpful. The only drawback is when calling you never talk to a real person. The staff is great at calling back but it is frustrating to have to leave a message and wait for a call back.
Our insurance covers infertility, however all costs are spelled out up front and nurses have up to date cost information on procedures and drugs. Very helpful.
2013 - 2014
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
We transferred multiple embryos [with Dr. Thomas Burwinkel] and had one successful transfer and this was exactly the approach we had discussed and planned on, so I felt well prepared for this decision...He took into account our age and situation and created a plan unique to us... He shares both the risks and probabilities of success for pregnancy for my husband and I. He offered hope, but no false encouragement. We wanted a doctor who shared both the up and downside of the process honestly with us, and Dr. Burwinkel did exactly that.
2013 - 2014
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr. Burwinkel was the Perfect doctor for us. He shares both the risks and probabilities of success for pregnancy for my husband and I. He offered hope, but no false encouragement. We wanted a doctor who shared both the up and downside of the process honestly with us, and Dr. Burwinkel did exactly that.
If you want a doctor to treat you with compassion and honesty Dr. Burwinkel is the doctor for you! He was kind and compassionate- but shared our chances of success and our options with complete honesty- which was very important to us.
He took into account our age and situation and created a plan unique to us.
We were at a more advanced age than typical patients- so Dr. Burwinkel advanced our treatment to IVF faster than he did with other patients. We appreciated his understanding to this part of our journey.
The nurses were our every day contact and showed immense compasssion and understanding for our situation. They laughed and cried with us and shared their expertise along the way.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Excellent communication through all aspects of our journey. They showed compassion and honesty along the way- which can be a difficult balance. Their process is well established, yet individualized to each family. We were met with compassion at every turn- from the financial piece to the procedures, to the follow through once we were pregnant.
We did not have insurance coverage and I seem to remember our out of pocket costs totaling around $20,000 for all of our procedures and care.
We transferred multiple embryos and had one successful transfer and this was exactly the approach we had discussed and planned on, so I felt well prepared for this decision.
Cincinnati

We tried IUI first. Having male factor infertility issues it was possible. He [Dr. Thomas Burwinkel] did however recommend after 3 failed attempts to do IvF. He didn’t want us to waste any more time or money.... Very straight forward. Positive but realistic. Did what was best for us. Treated us like his own. Was always quick to call back if we had questions or concerns. He’s a big part of the reason we’re expecting our first child.
If you have questions, make sure to ask. Don’t be afraid of a “dumb” question. He’s there to help and will gladly do so.
Irh is the best. They treat everyone like family.
We tried IUI first. Having male factor infertility issues it was possible. He did however recommend after 3 failed attempts to do IvF. He didn’t want us to waste any more time or money.
So friendly. Understanding. Patient. Loving. Caring. A joy for my wife and I.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Nothing but good things to say. We put 100% faith in the doctors and nurses at IRH and we were not let down. I wish IvF was more affordable but that’s not an IRH issue that’s an issue all over. Would love to see a day when insurance covered infertility in all areas.
Expensive. I don’t blame IRH alone. It’s an issue with all infertility clinics.
No comments.

2013 - 2018
3 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Male Factor
Dr Burwinkle willgive u individual care and make it work for you if he can...was always professional and kind... He never turned me away even when I was a project and always came up with the best plan . Great surgeon, trustworthy. Always felt good when I saw him. He gave me my son, and I can never thank him enough. Very smart dr, state of the art
2013 - 2018
3 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Male Factor
He’s a great dr and man . He never turned me away even when I was a project and always came up with the best plan . Great surgeon, trustworthy. Always felt good when I saw him. He gave me my son, and I can never thank him enough. Very smart dr, state of the art
The clinic as a whole is great . Dr Burwinkle willgive u individual care and make it work for you if he can
Great dr and man. Great care , was always professional and kind
I have an extremely thin uterine lining which is rare , we did delestrogen shots , viagra , he even thinks out of the box and going to ty tamaxiophin (estrogen) and possibly Eva study to figure out what’s going on with my lining .
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Heather / and Erica )
Great , very caring always remembered me and cared . Gave great care
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Weakness is phones. You can’t get a live person. I am very unhappy with the Ivf billing staff. You can call and never get a response . If you are using insurance they are not very helpful almost treat you worse than if self pay since it’s a project for them . Also phones for making an apt you must leave a message .
I have insurance coverage but I’d say $3k for 2 ivfs and FETs
I have a thin lining , my dr let’s me chose , having had failed transfers and a thin lining he is ok with me transferring two since I have many embryos left , if I feel comfortable doing it . Otherwise he is more single mindset
Cincinnati
Dr. Burwinkle tells is how it is, which I like. I always felt knowledgeable of what the treatment was going to be and why he decided to take his route. He was also open to trying a different medication route the next time we decide to try.... This past cycle was cancelled the dub before retrieval because of high hormone levels. Since I produce a lower number of eggs, Dr. Burwinkle has not wanted to put me on lupron, but instead femara, Gonral-F, menopur, cetrotide, etc.
Be open and don't be afraid to ask questions.
He has been willing to try multiple treatment options as well as cancelling a cycle due to irregular test results instead of just pushing me through.
Very kind every time I was in there. Felt like a person not just another "patient".
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Always busy, but not much they could change to help with the number of patients they see.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Institute for Reproductive Health.
Ultrasounds for IVF had to be on certain days, but they always tried to make it work with your schedule.
IVF cycles are one bundled price. Anything extra like ICSI, would be extra and billed at a later date.
He seems to be more into transferring 2 eggs than 1.

7 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Immunological, Unexplained
I can tell he [Dr. Burwinkel] cares what happens with my case. His expresses remorse and concern for me when we do not get the results we were looking for.... I really appreciate all Dr. B has done for me even though we have not had success. He's never given up hope and always come with suggestions and ideas as to what to do next. I can tell he really care about my case and is working hard to come up with a solution.
7 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Ask a lot of questions. He gives a lot of help and advice but you have to ask.
I can tell he cares what happens with my case. His expresses remorse and concern for me when we do not get the results we were looking for.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Lizzie West)
I think her weaknesses are due to case overload. She is responsible for a lot at the clinic and therefore is not always up to date on what is happening in your case.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The biggest strength is there are 3 doctor's to bounce ideas off of. The weakness is they don't have many ideas for patients with possible immune issues. I would definitely recommend the clinic to a new patient because they are timely, open and honest.
Because I have been trying to conceive for 5 years, I have always been able to transfer 1-2 a cycle. There was never any push back until I asked to transfer 2 donor eggs the first cycle. After a miscarriage with DEs, I will be allowed to transfer 2 the next cycle.
Cincinnati

Dr. Burwinkel was always open and honest about our course of action. If our numbers didn’t look great, he let us know and would lay out the next steps. When we moved from IUI to IVF he said we could try a few more IUI cycles if we’d like. I asked him if we could move forward with IVF, and he respected our wishes. I responded too well to medication during IVF, and he was honest about all my dosages. He managed each cycle wonderfully and always made us feel confident.
Go for it, even if it’s not the closest option. We drove an hour and a half for every appointment, and we would do it again to be treated at IRH- with any of the doctors!
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I couldn’t think of a single weakness for any staff member at IRH. We were always treated with honest and compassion. Every nurse and doctor went above and beyond to explain medicine, prodedures, etc. We always felt cared for and respected
Dr. B strongly suggest a single embryo transfer, because our embryos were so strong and I didn’t have any issues myself.
Cincinnati

I was able to ask any question and it was answered honestly. When going through infertility, there are so many emotions going through your body and Dr Burwinkel listened carefully and never made me feel crazy. We approached every decision and plan as a team.... Dr burwinkel was very strong on only transfers g one due to how strong the embryos were growing and splitting. We agreed with the decision
To be honest and upfront to your expectations. With any dr, be in control of the situation.
He took time with me and my husband and answered any questions we had
Nursing staff would let me cry and comfort me if results were negative. They also celebrated with me when results were positive.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is very profession and is easy to get into fir consult. The staff and drs are caring and very knowledgeable. They listen to you and your expectations. Only weakness is that you have to leave a message and wait for them to call you back.
We only transferred one embryo at my successful transfer which resulted in a pregnancy. Dr burwinkel was very strong on only transfers g one due to how strong the embryos were growing and splitting. We agreed with the decision
Cincinnati
Excellent doctor [Dr. Thomas Burwinkel], very caring and professional. Sat and talked us through every step and told us what to expect every single time we went to visit. He told us exactly when to come back and exactly what to do in between each visit.... We did 3 rounds of clomid and 2 rounds of IUI before becoming pregnant with twins.
Excellent doctor, very caring and professional. Sat and talked us through every step and told us what to expect every single time we went to visit. He told us exactly when to come back and exactly what to do in between each visit.
Follow his directions and don’t give up hope.
Told us why we couldn’t get pregnant, told us how to fix the problem, walked us through each process with detail.
Excellent! Followed up and called me after each treatment, called me promptly with all test results. Helped schedule all of my appointments in a timely manner
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Strengths: returned calls in a timely manner, office is open 7 days a week, never have to worry about “ovulating time” and if a doctor will be there or not, office was clean and fully staffed all the time
Paid for shots and medicine

5 IUI, 4 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Immunological
In addition to estrogen and progesterone, he [Dr. Burwinkel] had me take a few other things prior to my embryo transfer through hearing heartbeats that stopped my body from attacking or rejecting the embryos...He was the 1st of 3 fertility Drs to truly listen to my symptoms/ past experiences/ concerns that my uterus or immune system was fighting off my embryos as though they were a bad. His resulting protocol allowed me to get far enough along to hear a heartbeat for the first time in almost 17 years of trying! That pregnancy ended in a miscarriage, but the very next transfer, our second attempt with his new protocol resulted in the live births of my twins.
5 IUI, 4 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Immunological
Tell him everything, no matter how crazy or embarrassing.
He, and his nurse Heather, never rushed me, acted like they cared about my success, heard me out regarding all questions and concerns.
In addition to estrogen and progesterone, he had me take a few other things prior to my embryo transfer through hearing heartbeats that stopped my body from attacking or rejecting the embryos.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Their onsite (Rookwood location) lab is wonderful. Also, head nurse Lizzie is a wonderful encouraging resource.

2011 - 2013
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other
Dr. B [Thomas Burwinkel] called me at home after hours in response to an email. Helped me locate financial assistance for my IVF meds. Always real, but compassionate. Very proactive in treatment and diagnoses.... Dr. B was super compassionate and proactive. He was supportive when I needed a break after my second miscarriage. Ordered a round of tests immediately. After my third, ordered the HSG. I couldn't have had a more proactive doctor
2011 - 2013
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other
Dr. B was super compassionate and proactive. He was supportive when I needed a break after my second miscarriage. Ordered a round of tests immediately. After my third, ordered the HSG. I couldn't have had a more proactive doctor.
Book an appointment NOW!
Dr. B called me at home after hours in response to an email. Helped me locate financial assistance for my IVF meds. Always real, but compassionate. Very proactive in treatment and diagnoses.
Kristy, Dr. B's nurse, was super compassionate. Brought my tissues when we lost our second pregnancy (first under their care) and had become a "friend" following my twins.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
3 Offices to chose from and schedule with. 3 amazing doctors. Compassionate community. In person and online support groups. Evening and weekend hours. Return calls in less than 24 hours. They are amazing.
Cincinnati

I was disappointed that 3 ivf cycles didn't work but he [Dr. Thomas Burwinkel] was very compassionate. He encouraged donor embryos but I wasn't receptive to that. He is top notch. He focused on my emotional recovery after miscarriages as well as physical recovery...He was very patient, kind, and warm...Antagonist protocol
I was disappointed that 3 ivf cycles didn't work but he was very compassionate. He encouraged donor embryos but I wasn't receptive to that. He is top notch. He focused on my emotional recovery after miscarriages as well as physical recovery
Ask questions
He was very patient, kind, and warm
Antagonist protocol
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health.
There are a lot of patients so sometimes I had to follow up if something was missing or timing of appointments was off
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Sometimes you feel like a number especially after a failed cycle
Ivf cycle with icsi about $15000

2012 - 2014
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
We enjoyed working with Dr. Burwinkel and felt he was very honest and helpful....Dr. B made sure to ask how we were doing throughout the journey and to make sure we understood the process....Dr. Burwinkel was not as outgoing/personable as some of the other doctors in the practice [Cincinnati Fertility] but I appreciated that. He was there to work with us - establish a plan for us and guide us through it - which he did very well.
2012 - 2014
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
We enjoyed working with Dr. Burwinkel and felt he was very honest and helpful.
Dr. Burwinkel was not as outgoing/personable as some of the other doctors in the practice but I appreciated that. He was there to work with us - establish a plan for us and guide us through it - which he did very well.
Cincinnati
Consultation he [Dr. Thomas Burwinkel] used words and communication that if I hadn’t already been trying for over a year wouldn’t of understood. I felt kind of talked down to. Felt like my opinions were not validated. Where the number comes more into play. I didn’t like beside manner. Very to the point and kind of quick...Going back to treatment now. I will Not pick him again...My 10 round for IUI I did daily shots, and a trigger shot.
Consultation he used words and communication that if I hadn’t already been trying for over a year wouldn’t of understood. I felt kind of talked down to. Felt like my opinions were not validated. Where the number comes more into play. I didn’t like beside manner. Very to the point and kind of quick. I know he cared about his patients. Going back to treatment now. I will Not pick him again.
To ask questions. Speak up for yourself and advocate for yourself. You don’t like their advise seek a second opinion.
Bed side manner poor. If I hadn’t come from another clinic I would not of known what they were talking about. Felt rushed. Felt like since I didn’t have a lot of money I wasn’t as important of a patient.
I switched to this clinic because my insurance covered IUI. IVF wasn’t a financial option. Also prior clinic had 3 doctor changes on me in a year. I wanted the same doctor. I went to this place explaining I wasn’t ready for IVF and wanted to try longer with IUI cycles. After several attempts on pill form and it not working IUI’s. My 10 round for IUI I did daily shots, and a trigger shot. That round I had three eggs drop. That’s when I conceived my twin boys. This was also our last cycle before we were going to take a break. I had five rounds at another clinic of IUI and other treatments. I was emotionally exhausted at this point of two years trying. They were thinking on my 10th round to have me start considering IVF. We also were paying for my husbands part of IUI Because he was. It covered.
There was limited nurses at the West Chester location. Mainly, 2 nurses. A lot of times I had to go to their other clinic for IUI. Actually, I think every time because that office isn’t equipped for it. I had great nurses at the West Chester location. I got to know one well, and she became a highlight of my visit. She became my cheerleader. Rookwood I didn’t know the nurses, well. Sometimes felt misunderstood.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Strengths- Facebook support group before you get pregnant. Then the support group after you get pregnant. This has been key for me. Other doctors I connected better with than my primary one at the clinic. My one nurse was amazinf. I became pregnant here and his towards the clinic and would recommend this clinic for that reason. Faculty is nice, clean, and pretty. They also do a bi yearly reunion for graduates with babies at the Cincinnati Zoo.
We made monthly payments to them. My husband was not covered at all for his part in the IUI and the testing of his speech. Now of my costly perscriptions were covered
West Chester

Dr. Burwinkel was direct, but kind. He told us what we needed to do for the best chance of success and we followed his recommendations- he was correct down to the number of embryos he thought we could get and ultumatlely we were successful.... Dr. Burwinkel knows his stuff. I’m grateful he’s at IRH and to live so close by to such a successful clinic.
Dr. Burwinkel knows his stuff. I’m grateful he’s at IRH and to live so close by to such a successful clinic. I have not been surprised that nurses at my own OB’s office have shared that they’ve gone to IRH for their infertility treatment too. It’s known as the best place in this region.
Go into it appreciating an honest opinion. If he doesn’t think something will work (ie IUI) then appreciate that he doesn’t want to waste your time or money. We were grateful he had us go straight to IVF. It was incredibly costly, but absolutely worth it.
There are many nurses and everything is handled by phone through them. I’d like to see a nurse get assigned to each patient specifically for continuity of care. Otherwise they always return phone calls same day and are very kind.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
It’s a very successful clinic. They are worth checking out for sure. They do have a voicemail system that takes all calls, so you have to go into it not expecting to talk to a person the first time you call. But when you are in treatment your voicemails are returned same day.
Cincinnati
He [Dr. Thomas Burwinkel] is very genuine and caring. He was the one to call with lab results and I really appreciated that. He was very knowledgeable and made sure we understood everything going on with my cycles. He made sure to run certain tests to rule out certain things that could be impacting my fertility and quickly diagnosed where my problems lied.
He is very genuine and caring. He was the one to call with lab results and I really appreciated that. He was very knowledgeable and made sure we understood everything going on with my cycles. He made sure to run certain tests to rule out certain things that could be impacting my fertility and quickly diagnosed where my problems lied.
Be confident in dr. Burwinkel and know that he has your best interests in mind when figuring out your cycle.
He was very respectful and seemed genuine in wanting to help us conceive.
My first cycle with him was Femara and injectables. I overstimulated that cycle and it was cancelled. He scaled back the Femara the second cycle only using a mild dosage with injectables and we had a successful cycle!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health.
Every person in staff was excellent, caring, and understanding.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
They are all very confident in what they do. They give you hope. They are all very caring and understanding and show compassion. This clinic has the numbers to show their strengths and that to me speaks volumes!
He was very understanding of either option, he just made sure we were aware of risks and success rates.
Cincinnati

Hes [Dr. Thomas Burwinkel] very nice, good bedside manners answers every question you have and tells you what to expect including percentages if necessary. Jokes around to make things feel less intense i actually miss seeing him and wish he was a practising OB for full pregnancy... Femara, gonal F, ovidrel and iui. I had atleast 2 follicles each time sometimes 3.
Hes very nice, good bedside manners answers every question you have and tells you what to expect including percentages if necessary. Jokes around to make things feel less intense i actually miss seeing him and wish he was a practising OB for full pregnancy
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The only thing I did not like is no ine answers the phone. You have to leave a message and wait for someone to call you back otherwise they are amazing. They get you in asap when its necessary for your treatement and they are pretty prompt on taking you back.