Medical SchoolU. of Cincinnati
Cincinnati, OH 45209
7242 Tylers Corner
West Chester, OH 45069
513.924.5550
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Thomas Burwinkel to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Institute for Reproductive Health to a friend?
He [Dr. Thomas Burwinkel] was always polite to us, and prior to treatment after my baseline he was extra nice getting me ready for my injections. I went into it more than feeling prepared for the cycle to begin. I had my options already laid out and decided.... You may not see "your" doctor for everything but it is okay. I saw all 4 doctors at different points and liked them all. Dr. Schrieber did most of my scans, Dr. Adawalla did my retrieval and Dr. O'Leary did my transfer. All were really nice and good at what they do.
How was your experience with Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health?
He was always polite to us, and prior to treatment after my baseline he was extra nice getting me ready for my injections. I went into it more than feeling prepared for the cycle to begin. I had my options already laid out and decided.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health?
Do it. The office is a great place. I love all the doctors.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health?
The appointments were always on time but were also very fast, albeit effective. Sometimes if I didn't ask a question I didn't have things explained, but they knew what they were doing and were ALWAYS polite and the important bits made sure to make you aware.
Describe the protocols Thomas Burwinkel used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Health and their degree of success.
Took the pill for about 2 weeks. Then had a suppression check. Got my initial doses, which were updated at my first scan and adjusted from there. Adjusted again at my next two, and ended up with 100% fertilized from mature eggs!
They were always quick to respond to messages no matter how silly I thought they were. They were very positive and the nurses all seem to be in the right specialty. Each one told me good luck. One even made sure that my progesterone was no red pills because no one needed the additional stress of the pink. It was the little details.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Burwinkel at Institute for Reproductive Health.
They offer global billing with my insurance so the pricing was great. Even without insurance it was a fraction of the cost of a normal cycle.
Describe Thomas Burwinkel's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Health.
At first I was hesitant but then I understood. If the cycle isn't successful I will approach the issue of transferring two.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Other
Dr. Burwinkel is definitely a straight shooter. He's not one for false promises of success or sugar coating a point. However, this doesn't mean he's without empathy. He's provided wonderful care through my unsuccessful pregnancies and has always given me clear next steps for things we'll try next time.... Dr. Burwinkel has typically made a lot of time to answer all of my questions, but sometimes is busy and clearly trying to get through his patient list as quickly as possible.
European, Other
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Other
Dr. Burwinkel is definitely a straight shooter. He's not one for false promises of success or sugar coating a point. However, this doesn't mean he's without empathy. He's provided wonderful care through my unsuccessful pregnancies and has always given me clear next steps for things we'll try next time. In 2018, we had success with his treatment and welcomed our daughter into the world.
Be completely honest about your history and situation in your consultation. He can't help to the best of his abilities without full and complete information.
Metformin for PCOS, folic acid/COQ-10 supplements for healthy eggs, Letrozole to boost egg health at time of ovulation, Ovidrel to stimulate ovulation. (RPL, basic therapy only)
Nursing staff actually seem to care about patients. I don't feel like "just another number" when I talk to them. They give the easiest and most painless blood draws I've ever experienced, and they actually seem interested in getting to know patients beyond what's on the chart.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The biggest strength is the people - everyone is so friendly that it really puts my mind at ease. But the biggest weakness is the telephone system. Being basic therapy and never being able to get through to an actual person is irritating. Running late for an appointment? There's no way to let the staff know. Trying to decide if you need to go to urgent care/ER or if you might be overreacting? Leave a message and they'll call back "sometime". Both of these are situations I've experienced and it has been incredibly frustrating each time. Being a non-IVF patient is like being a second class citizen - you're not really important in their grand scheme of things.
Do not remember all costs.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
I owe my chance at becoming a mother to Dr. Burwinkel. From our first visit he treated myself and my husband with respect and always gave us the most honest information. He never promised that he would make me a mother, but told me that he would do anything to help me become one. He answered every question that I had, and I had a lot of them. Every treatment was fully explained. I never felt as if I was unaware of what was happening to my body. He was compassionate with each loss that we experienced and gave us the facts each time there was a setback. When we were finally able to have a full term pregnancy and I gave birth to my little boy in April 2018.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
Do your own research and never be afraid to ask questions.
Every time I walked into IRH, I felt as if people knew who I was. There was a receptionist who greeted us upon entry. We never had a long wait time in the waiting room, they valued our time as employed adults. Dr. Burwinkel and staff always greeted us by name and remember what it was that we were here for. He celebrated with us in successful treatment and mourned with us with each loss of pregnancy.
I took Letrozole (similar to Clomid), we did the injection to release my eggs and then did IUI. I had four rounds of IUI. Two resulted in miscarriages and one was a viable pregnancy.
I love the IRH nursing staff. They showed as much compassion as the doctors do. Many times I saw the nurses more often, due to blood draws. They are just as informed as the doctors and always answered any questions that I had.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
IRH has no weaknesses. I would, and have, recommended IRH to anyone who is going through fertility problems. I never had an issue with scheduling or appointments. The wait time in the waiting room and the treatment room was minimal. My husband and I were very lucky to be able to cover the cost of our fertility treatments; however, I know that they are great with working with families on payment plans if they cannot cover the cost at once.
Fertility treatment is not cheap. Each round of IUI cost about $900 including pills, shots, doctor appointments, and procedures. In addition to the IUIs, I had to have laparoscopic surgery for the chemical pregnancy and a D&C for the miscarriages. Each of these procedures was an additional cost.
IUI, 1 IVF
We were not informed of the options [by Dr. Thomas Burwinkel] before our procedures, specifically ICSI and transfer strategy for optimal results... We had no idea we would be faced with the choices [for how many to transfer] while i was in the transfer procedure. These important details of how many and odds should be discussed in advance...I saw him only twice during my care. I did not feel as though he was treating me but rather the entire staff at IRH. Had we had a consistent set of information and communication we would have made different choices. I feel I wasted time and money going there.
IUI, 1 IVF
I am sure Dr. Burwinkel is a find physician but I wouldn't know too much since I saw him only twice during my care. I did not feel as though he was treating me but rather the entire staff at IRH. Had we had a consistent set of information and communication we would have made different choices. I feel I wasted time and money going there.
Know what you need and expect in your fertility treatment before you go.
The care at IRH is set up to be treated like a number. There was no personal care and i'm not even sure they knew my name. I had to repeat my issues, why we were there and our current status multiple times.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic definitely has strength in numbers based on the number of patients they have, however you are treated like that, a number. I believe their intention is great but not having any email access and only voicemail makes for a challenging communication exchange throughout the day. Not being able to contact them in any other way but voicemail is next to impossible in my line of work. We couldn't get our questions answered in a timely fashion based on this.
The costs were pretty straight forward. They provided a pricing sheet up front for all of the procedures but there was no coordination with my insurance company beyond the pre authorization paperwork. I had to contact the insurance company in order to determine what would be covered. I was never able to get a straight answer from either party. It was unclear to me how much I would owe. In total with my company's coverage ($5,000) and I paid $6K out of pocket for a round of IVF and single transfer. We had no embryos left to freeze and did not do ICSI.
It would have been nice to discuss this strategy and options before the transfer. We had no idea we would be faced with the choices while i was in the transfer procedure. These important details of how many and odds should be discussed in advance.
Cincinnati
I really enjoyed Dr. Burwinkel’s bedside manner however, a couple times I felt like he wasn’t 100% informed on who I was in particular...started back on treatment which was a timed intercourse cycle and when I came in for an ultrasound to check for follicles, he just looked at my uterus with the ultrasound and didn’t measure any follicles. He made it seem like he thought this was a post-op follow up and didn’t really provide the correct information for me for my trigger timing. I started to lose confidence after that visit but continued with him for multiple other cycles, eventually leading me to IVF.
Dr. Burwinkel has 2 partners that cover him when he is off which is really nice. However, after my first IVF cycle did not result in pregnancy and few eggs/embryos with nothing to freeze, the protocol was not really changed. I don’t know if this was because his partner was covering but I never understood why a similar protocol would have different results. When I had even fewer eggs retrieved and only 1 embryo, I started to wonder if something else was wrong with me as I knew I had a high AMH and should have a lot of eggs. That transfer did result in pregnancy but ended in a second trimester miscarriage due to Down’s syndrome. When I saw Dr. Burwinkel following my miscarriage, he was very compassionate but was unable to come up with a plan for me to get more, better quality embryos in a future cycle. I think I lost all confidence at that time.
Provide details and keep patients informed.
I really enjoyed Dr. Burwinkel’s bedside manner however, a couple times I felt like he wasn’t 100% informed on who I was in particular. I had to have surgery and saw him for a post-op appointment which was fine. I then started back on treatment which was a timed intercourse cycle and when I came in for an ultrasound to check for follicles, he just looked at my uterus with the ultrasound and didn’t measure any follicles. He made it seem like he thought this was a post-op follow up and didn’t really provide the correct information for me for my trigger timing. I started to lose confidence after that visit but continued with him for multiple other cycles, eventually leading me to IVF.
My first IVF cycle was done with Follistim which was initially started at a moderate dose. When my estrogen jumped up, the dose was greatly reduced which later caused my estrogen to drop and I was offered to the chance to cancel the cycle. Since I had insurance coverage, I decided to proceed. I had 5 eggs retrieved. On day 1, none had fertilized so we did rescue ICSI that resulted in 2 embryos which were both transferred on day 3. This resulted in no pregnancy. For my second cycle, the Follistim was pretty much the same. I did take letrozole in the beginning with this cycle. Again my estrogen quickly increased so my Follistim was decreased and again my estrogen dropped and resulted in fewer eggs. I did have one 3 day embryo with ICSI which resulted in pregnancy, but later a miscarriage.
The nurses were always nice and caring. They didn’t however provide a lot of detailed information.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is large with multiple providers which can be good or bad. They always have someone to take care of you, it just may not be someone who is super familiar with you in particular. It is easy to get an appointment and their multiple locations are helpful. For the most part they are compassionate but I did have one provider who somewhat scolded me that I needed to make IVF a “priortiy.” This was after I had gone through several less invasive procedures and a previous egg retrieval and transfer over the course of a year and a half. I was also continuing to work full time and drive 90 minutes one way just to get to my appointment. I think I was making it a priority and was kind of offended by how that was mentioned to me.
I had insurance coverage so I can only guess for the cab pay price. I believe IVF with ICSI and hatching is around $12,000 a cycle. A transfer is about $1000.
Cincinnati
Dr. Burwinkel is such an amazing doctor. He has gone above and beyond to help get my pregnant, and always listens to me. I had a miscarriage after an IUI in the summer of 2016. During my D&C, right before I was put under, I started crying. Dr. B. came to my side and held my hand as I was put to sleep for the procedure. I will never, ever forget the compassion he showed during that difficult time. Dr. B is always honest with me and does what is right for me and my situation. I could not ever imagine seeing another doctor or going ot another practice.
Be open and honest with Dr. B about your thoughts on your protocol. He WILL listen! Advocate for yourself, too.
I always felt like a human and not just a number. Dr. B did what was right for me and my situation and always gave me the honest information.
IUIs 1-4: 5mg Femara and Ovidrel IUI 1 resulted in miscarriage with a D&C at 9 weeks. IUIs 2-4 were negative. IVF 1: 175 Follistim, then increased to 225. Ganirelix and Ovidrel--rationale, I have PCOS and did not want my to hyper stimulate. Prometrium after retrieval and through transfer. 2 Blasts, 1 transferred and did not result in pregnancy. FET 1: Estrace 2mg a day, then PIO. Frozen embryo transferred and did not result in pregnancy. IVF 2: 150 Follistim and 75 Menopur. The last twp days of stims, we upped the Follistim to 225. Ganirelix and Ovidrel. Added in medrol and baby asprin after the retrieval. Added PIO after retrieval. 7 total blasts. 2 transferred. Currently pregnant and waiting for my first ultrasound to determine if it's a singleton or twin pregnancy.
I absolutely LOVE the nursing staff. They are ALL caring and compassionate and go out of their way to help us. I could not imagine going through this journey without them!
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The only weakness is when you call the office, you always have to leave a voicemail. However, the nurses/staff are quick to respond.
We used insurance for the IUIs, so the cost to us was around $100 per IUI. For IVF, we did the money back guarantee program with ICSI and that was around 22k (or 70% back if no live birth).
With my first IVF cycle, we did one embryo. Same with the FET because we only had 1 embryo left. After those two cycles failed, Dr. B decided to transfer two embryos moving forward. I trusted his judgement with the single and multiple embryo transfers.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
[Dr. Thomas Burwinkel] he was really compassionate and he also was very truthful from the start and took his time with us and answered all of our questions. He's awesome! He was the doctor that I saw every visit during my first IVF round, only one time during that 1st round I had to see one of his partners (it was a holiday weekend), but he told me that I was going to have to see one of his partners, so I was prepared and I was ok with that.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Again he was really compassionate and he also was very truthful from the start and took his time with us and answered all of our questions. He's awesome! He was the doctor that I saw every visit during my first IVF round, only one time during that 1st round I had to see one of his partners (it was a holiday weekend), but he told me that I was going to have to see one of his partners, so I was prepared and I was ok with that.
Come prepared to answer some questions from him and know that he is ok with you having a voice in your treatment!
He has a wonderful bedside manner, he also really cares about his patients and even when things don't go the way I wanted he called me to answer my questions and to genuinely check on me.
I was on birth control for 22 days, started a period and the started follistim, then added menopure, and ganarellix. Then eventually a Hcg shot and progesterone vaginal suppositories. I can't exactly remember how many days of the follistim, I think it was 12, I remember I had to increase 1 time and then had to order more of it and the menopure. My egg retrevial was intense, I was hyperstimed and he retrieved 21 eggs and I was put on some medication to help with my HSS. Out of the 21 eggs we had 5, 5 day embryos. We transferred 1 and froze the other 4. BFN on day 14, post transfer, I also started my period that day. I'm currently waiting to test, I will on Thursday, we used 2 frozen embryos on Friday March 24th. I don't think I am pregnant though.
I am a nurse, but being a patient is totally different. The nurses there are sweet and always considerate of your feelings. They know what to say when your feeling nervous and overwhelmed. Very comforting
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I really can't speak about any weaknesses, other than maybe billing. They submitted some things to my insurance and I'm a self pay patient, my insurance covers nothing for infertility. They have GREAT success with IVF so that's why I chose to go there!
IRH has the best price for IVF in the area.
I told him whatever he thought was best I trust him and that's why I travel over an hour to see him.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
Dr Burwinkel is amazing. Caring, compassionate, yet knows when to give you the hard truths. Plus, he looks at you as individuals and as a couple, not as a "diagnosis box". Each month the treatment is personalized. Ask all the questions you want! Don't be scared that he needs to be in charge. He listens and respects all of your questions and knows when it's best to push back with his own experience and knowledge.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
Our treatment was very personalized and he took the time to get to know us and our situation.
- 2.5mg Femara due to high AMH with timed intercourse, no luck (x3) - 2.5mg Femara with IUI, no luck (x1) - No injectible IUIs due to high AMH and significant chance of high multiples - IVF with low-dose gonal-f, Cetrotide, and Ovidrel for trigger... Nervous about OHSS so set the expectation to only retrieve first cycle, then FET next cycle. Didn't end up needing to because the dosage was perfect and no OHSS!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Sarah and Jackie)
They are all amazing and very, very willing to answer all questions. Feel free to call the nurses line and ask even the silliest questions!
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
This clinic is amazing. However, be forewarned that there are 3 locations that the doctors rotate through, so be prepared to switch between doctors. They will schedule you for who is available at the day and time you need an appointment. But it honestly didn't bother me at all because all of the doctors were absolutely amazing and caring.
IVF standard - $8,200 IVF Money-back Guarantee - $18,000 (3 cycles) ICSI - $1,100 Embryo Cropreservation Initial - $200 Embryo Cryostorage Quarterly - $400
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Just felt very comfortable even in the most uncomfortable situations. Dr Burwinkle, and his associates were able to get us through a very trying time. Infertility is stressful. We had male factor infertility which was doubly hard on my husbands psyche. The fact we had trouble conceiving was devastating to him after he found out. They made the process bareable, and helped us overcome all of our hurdles.
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Expect to cultivate patients...the ivf journey imparticular is long and tedious. The exact combination of medicines may take more than one cycle. We were lucky, but i read the book the clinic put out by Dr Awadalla to help prepare. Started a vitamin regimen to increase egg health and went on a diabetic diet to help control my pcos before we started.
Very professional, answered all questions in a timely manner.
I dont remember
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health.
Always very caring and descrete. For such a large practice we still felt important.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The location, at first, was a bit daunting to find. But after we learned our way around and learned a few traffic tricks...we usually just made a day of it. There is a shopping center next door, several restaurants and a couple of nice hotels. We live 2 hours away and fighting with rush hour traffic was misery.
Meds were the most expensive, i think they were about 6 thousand. Our total cost was around 13 thousand. With hotel stays and time off work the process cost close to 18 thousand. All out of pocket. Our insurance does not cover treatment and due to advanced age we didnt qualify for most programs.
They do, but due to my advanced maternal age it was decided one embryo tranfer might not be in our best interest. We opted for 2, Five day blastocyst transfers and placed the others on ice for future...we were blessed with a healthy baby boy after the first fresh transfer. And still have 2 frozen embys.
2013 - 2015
He [Dr Burwinkel] was my primary dr saw I saw him a lot and was never unhappy with any interaction with him. He's a very kind man and even printed me ultrasound pictures of my follicles when I asked him to. He always gave me a great hug the day I graduated at 8 weeks pregnant and posed for a picture with my husband and I.
2013 - 2015
He was my primary dr saw I saw him a lot and was never unhappy with any interaction with him. He's a very kind man and even printed me ultrasound pictures of my follicles when I asked him to. He always gave me a great hug the day I graduated at 8 weeks pregnant and posed for a picture with my husband and I.
Be a partner in the process. Do research and ask questions so you can make decisions with your dr.
He was always very personable and would engage in conversation about things other than our fertility. He spoke of his family and we spoke about ours and even joked about politics during embryo transfer. Very warm and friendly.
We started with IUI with clomid since I'd had ovulation success with that drug with my ob. When that didn't work we moved to femara with IUI. That also failed so he added gonal-F. I agreed to try that twice before moving to IVF. Both those cycles failed and we got started with IVF. Since I have pcos and high AMH he didn't use a high does and monitored me closely.
They are all very nice and seem committed to helping you understand everything and are pulling for you to succeed.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I didn't like that I always had to leave a message that nurses didn't answer the line once during my treatment. They did however always return calls the same day if message was before 4pm. That is my only con. Everything else was great. I especially loved the peer support group they offer that meets once a month. I made great friends there and I'm pregnant with 3 of them now!
We spent about $8K on IUI procedures. We we in the money back program and paid about $20K for that including ICSI and then $500 for freezing our embryos.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr. B [Thomas Burwinkel] [is very "dry" meaning, he doesn't show much emotion and is very monotone. Which might be just what some people need. My very first experience with an RE, I was obviously very nervous and had no idea what to even think. I did not feel much compassion/care from him. More as if he was like, ok the goal is to get you pregnant, so let's do this and we'll start tomorrow. Didn't give us much time to think or breathe or process what was being said.
Other, Prefer not to answer
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr. B is very "dry" meaning, he doesn't show much emotion and is very monotone. Which might be just what some people need. My very first experience with an RE, I was obviously very nervous and had no idea what to even think. I did not feel much compassion/care from him. More as if he was like, ok the goal is to get you pregnant, so let's do this and we'll start tomorrow. Didn't give us much time to think or breathe or process what was being said.
Just be prepared to advocate for yourself. Dr. B will listen to you and even if it seems like he's not, he is. He is a good person and a good doctor, just not the right fit for us. Be prepared to not be coddled with him. He'll tell you what needs done and move on. Which may be ok for some, it was not a good fit for me. I needed more compassion and bedside manner.
I did not see Dr. Burwinkel for very long. It was my first experience with a fertility doctor. I felt like they cared, however, just wanted to get me in and out and made the decision for me, rather than listening to what we wanted or were concerned about. Hard to get a hold of them too. Always had to leave a message and wait for them to call back. Never got anyone to directly answer, which is very annoying.
We did 3 IUIs. Started on Femara and then had an Ovidrel trigger shot and that was it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Kristi, I think.)
She gave me her email and responded to all of my crazy questions via email, which was good for me being a first timer and being really freaked out.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic itself wasn't too bad. The one in Hyde Park was always clean and very open and welcoming. The lady at the front desk always greeted me but that was about the extent of it. I never usually had to wait too long to be seen, either.
Around $300 per IUI + $100 for Ovidrel, so around $400 each time. I was on a payment plan and did not know that each procedure was meant to be paid for up front, until we started talking about IVF and they said it had to all be paid in full. I asked why I was able to pay by month and they said that mine was a "unique situation", which I'm unsure of why since I never discussed my finances with them.
N/A Did not do IVF with this doctor.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Burwinkle is friendly and knowledgeable, but he also seems to be in a hurry, so when I ask questions I feel he is rushed....Dr. Burwinkel did my first DE transfer and explained what he was doing as he did it, but then I had some questions (as I was laying on the table) and he seemed in a hurry to get out of there. Just not as warm bedside manner as I experienced in the past at my previous clinic.... My first DE cycle (negative, currently on FET cycle). E2 3x a day and Prometrium 3x a day plus a low dose aspirin 1x a day.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Burwinkel is friendly, but not as attentive as I would like. Dr. Burwinkel did my first DE transfer and explained what he was doing as he did it, but then I had some questions (as I was laying on the table) and he seemed in a hurry to get out of there. Just not as warm bedside manner as I experienced in the past at my previous clinic.
Make sure you ask lots of questions, because you may not see him every visit. Make sure you have a clear understanding of where you are in your cycle and what comes next.
My first DE cycle (negative, currently on FET cycle). E2 3x a day and Prometrium 3x a day plus a low dose aspirin 1x a day. Dr. Burwinkel never explained to me the rationale. It was the nurses who gave me my treatment plan.
The nurses here are great, just as friendly and helpful.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Strengths: the lab accepts frozen donor eggs, the nurses are very friendly and compassionate, it's conveniently located. Cons: I don't like the Dr.'s as much as the doctors at my previous clinic and their phone menu is long and confusing when you call in.
My insurance covers some of the cost, and all of my claims are still currently pending, so I am not sure what I will need to pay out of pocket. One donor egg cycle is 16K, but I will be billed a reduced amount.
We only had two blasts from our first cohort of eggs, so we implanted one and froze the other. I recall telling the nurse that I only wanted one implanted, and she said that she will note that on my chart. So, I'm not sure how they feel about implanting two.
2 IUI, IVF
The experience with doctor Burwinkle was very good. He explained everything thoroughly and was very realistic on each outcome. He answered all of our questions and concerns during each cycle and was empathetic to our situation.... He was the one who diagnosed me with PCOS he was very familiar with how that would affect my fertility.... He was very considerate of the way patients with PCOS would react to certain medications and dosages.
2 IUI, IVF
The experience with doctor Burwinkle was very good. He explained everything thoroughly and was very realistic on each outcome. He answered all of our questions and concerns during each cycle and was empathetic to our situation. There were no real weaknesses with his treatments.
He is a great doctor and very realistic in treatment options and outcomes.
He was very personable and came off as caring and empathetic to our situation.
He was the one who diagnosed me with PCOS he was very familiar with how that would affect my fertility. He also was the one who treated me/us for all of our attempts to conceive via timed intercourse, IUIs, And IVF. He was very considerate of the way patients with PCOS would react to certain medications and dosages. He only used medications shown to work in women with PCOS and was able to find the balance to get the best results to not overwhelm my hormones but also get the ideal response.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Sarah )
She was very easy to talk to and ask questions with. She was very thorough with my care plan and gave me peace of mind during each cycle.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic was clean and easy to get to. The only downfall would be when you call, you always have to leave a voicemail and wait to be called back. I wish you could get a hold of a nurse during bisniness hours.
They gave us a break down sheet of all the costs for treatment.
Since I was still considered young and my egg quality was good he didn’t want to transfer more than just one embryo.
Cincinnati
I went to see Dr Burwinkel for tests and an hsg procedure. During my hsg procedure a uterine polyp was found and it needed to be surgically removed... My surgery went perfectly and we continued on to medicated IUI...Dr Burwinkel is super informed and knowledgeable. He is very caring and definitely wants to see success in treatment for his patients... I have been extremely happy with his care and attentiveness...He really listened to our unique situation and he offered us many treatment options.
Dr Burwinkel is super informed and knowledgeable. He is very caring and definitely wants to see success in treatment for his patients. He performed a polyp removal surgery and we continued on to medicated IUI. I have been extremely happy with his care and attentiveness.
Do your research and ask lots of questions.
Originally I went to see Dr Burwinkel for tests and an hsg procedure. During my hsg procedure a uterine polyp was found and it needed to be surgically removed. We scheduled the surgery for 3 months later. My surgery went perfectly and we continued on to medicated IUI. I took clomid 100mg during days 3-7 and then I went in for an ultrasound, after that I did the ovidrel trigger shot and scheduled my IUI for the next day. For my second IUI we followed the same procedure, 100mg clomid on days 3-7 and then ultrasound to check follicles then trigger shot and IUI about 36 hours later.
Very helpful and attentive and encouraging.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The staff here is wonderful, everyone is very friendly and helpful. The only drawback is when calling you never talk to a real person. The staff is great at calling back but it is frustrating to have to leave a message and wait for a call back.
Our insurance covers infertility, however all costs are spelled out up front and nurses have up to date cost information on procedures and drugs. Very helpful.
2013 - 2018
3 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Male Factor
Dr Burwinkle willgive u individual care and make it work for you if he can...was always professional and kind... He never turned me away even when I was a project and always came up with the best plan . Great surgeon, trustworthy. Always felt good when I saw him. He gave me my son, and I can never thank him enough. Very smart dr, state of the art
2013 - 2018
3 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Male Factor
He’s a great dr and man . He never turned me away even when I was a project and always came up with the best plan . Great surgeon, trustworthy. Always felt good when I saw him. He gave me my son, and I can never thank him enough. Very smart dr, state of the art
The clinic as a whole is great . Dr Burwinkle willgive u individual care and make it work for you if he can
Great dr and man. Great care , was always professional and kind
I have an extremely thin uterine lining which is rare , we did delestrogen shots , viagra , he even thinks out of the box and going to ty tamaxiophin (estrogen) and possibly Eva study to figure out what’s going on with my lining .
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Heather / and Erica )
Great , very caring always remembered me and cared . Gave great care
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Weakness is phones. You can’t get a live person. I am very unhappy with the Ivf billing staff. You can call and never get a response . If you are using insurance they are not very helpful almost treat you worse than if self pay since it’s a project for them . Also phones for making an apt you must leave a message .
I have insurance coverage but I’d say $3k for 2 ivfs and FETs
I have a thin lining , my dr let’s me chose , having had failed transfers and a thin lining he is ok with me transferring two since I have many embryos left , if I feel comfortable doing it . Otherwise he is more single mindset
Cincinnati
Dr. Burwinkle tells is how it is, which I like. I always felt knowledgeable of what the treatment was going to be and why he decided to take his route. He was also open to trying a different medication route the next time we decide to try.... This past cycle was cancelled the dub before retrieval because of high hormone levels. Since I produce a lower number of eggs, Dr. Burwinkle has not wanted to put me on lupron, but instead femara, Gonral-F, menopur, cetrotide, etc.
Be open and don't be afraid to ask questions.
He has been willing to try multiple treatment options as well as cancelling a cycle due to irregular test results instead of just pushing me through.
Very kind every time I was in there. Felt like a person not just another "patient".
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Always busy, but not much they could change to help with the number of patients they see.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Institute for Reproductive Health.
Ultrasounds for IVF had to be on certain days, but they always tried to make it work with your schedule.
IVF cycles are one bundled price. Anything extra like ICSI, would be extra and billed at a later date.
He seems to be more into transferring 2 eggs than 1.
7 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Immunological, Unexplained
I can tell he [Dr. Burwinkel] cares what happens with my case. His expresses remorse and concern for me when we do not get the results we were looking for.... I really appreciate all Dr. B has done for me even though we have not had success. He's never given up hope and always come with suggestions and ideas as to what to do next. I can tell he really care about my case and is working hard to come up with a solution.
7 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Ask a lot of questions. He gives a lot of help and advice but you have to ask.
I can tell he cares what happens with my case. His expresses remorse and concern for me when we do not get the results we were looking for.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Lizzie West)
I think her weaknesses are due to case overload. She is responsible for a lot at the clinic and therefore is not always up to date on what is happening in your case.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The biggest strength is there are 3 doctor's to bounce ideas off of. The weakness is they don't have many ideas for patients with possible immune issues. I would definitely recommend the clinic to a new patient because they are timely, open and honest.
Because I have been trying to conceive for 5 years, I have always been able to transfer 1-2 a cycle. There was never any push back until I asked to transfer 2 donor eggs the first cycle. After a miscarriage with DEs, I will be allowed to transfer 2 the next cycle.
Cincinnati
Dr. Burwinkel was always open and honest about our course of action. If our numbers didn’t look great, he let us know and would lay out the next steps. When we moved from IUI to IVF he said we could try a few more IUI cycles if we’d like. I asked him if we could move forward with IVF, and he respected our wishes. I responded too well to medication during IVF, and he was honest about all my dosages. He managed each cycle wonderfully and always made us feel confident.
Go for it, even if it’s not the closest option. We drove an hour and a half for every appointment, and we would do it again to be treated at IRH- with any of the doctors!
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
I couldn’t think of a single weakness for any staff member at IRH. We were always treated with honest and compassion. Every nurse and doctor went above and beyond to explain medicine, prodedures, etc. We always felt cared for and respected
Dr. B strongly suggest a single embryo transfer, because our embryos were so strong and I didn’t have any issues myself.
Cincinnati
I was able to ask any question and it was answered honestly. When going through infertility, there are so many emotions going through your body and Dr Burwinkel listened carefully and never made me feel crazy. We approached every decision and plan as a team.... Dr burwinkel was very strong on only transfers g one due to how strong the embryos were growing and splitting. We agreed with the decision
To be honest and upfront to your expectations. With any dr, be in control of the situation.
He took time with me and my husband and answered any questions we had
Nursing staff would let me cry and comfort me if results were negative. They also celebrated with me when results were positive.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The clinic is very profession and is easy to get into fir consult. The staff and drs are caring and very knowledgeable. They listen to you and your expectations. Only weakness is that you have to leave a message and wait for them to call you back.
We only transferred one embryo at my successful transfer which resulted in a pregnancy. Dr burwinkel was very strong on only transfers g one due to how strong the embryos were growing and splitting. We agreed with the decision
Cincinnati
Excellent doctor [Dr. Thomas Burwinkel], very caring and professional. Sat and talked us through every step and told us what to expect every single time we went to visit. He told us exactly when to come back and exactly what to do in between each visit.... We did 3 rounds of clomid and 2 rounds of IUI before becoming pregnant with twins.
Excellent doctor, very caring and professional. Sat and talked us through every step and told us what to expect every single time we went to visit. He told us exactly when to come back and exactly what to do in between each visit.
Follow his directions and don’t give up hope.
Told us why we couldn’t get pregnant, told us how to fix the problem, walked us through each process with detail.
Excellent! Followed up and called me after each treatment, called me promptly with all test results. Helped schedule all of my appointments in a timely manner
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Strengths: returned calls in a timely manner, office is open 7 days a week, never have to worry about “ovulating time” and if a doctor will be there or not, office was clean and fully staffed all the time
Paid for shots and medicine
5 IUI, 4 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Immunological
In addition to estrogen and progesterone, he [Dr. Burwinkel] had me take a few other things prior to my embryo transfer through hearing heartbeats that stopped my body from attacking or rejecting the embryos...He was the 1st of 3 fertility Drs to truly listen to my symptoms/ past experiences/ concerns that my uterus or immune system was fighting off my embryos as though they were a bad. His resulting protocol allowed me to get far enough along to hear a heartbeat for the first time in almost 17 years of trying! That pregnancy ended in a miscarriage, but the very next transfer, our second attempt with his new protocol resulted in the live births of my twins.
5 IUI, 4 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Immunological
Tell him everything, no matter how crazy or embarrassing.
He, and his nurse Heather, never rushed me, acted like they cared about my success, heard me out regarding all questions and concerns.
In addition to estrogen and progesterone, he had me take a few other things prior to my embryo transfer through hearing heartbeats that stopped my body from attacking or rejecting the embryos.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Their onsite (Rookwood location) lab is wonderful. Also, head nurse Lizzie is a wonderful encouraging resource.
2011 - 2013
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other
Dr. B [Thomas Burwinkel] called me at home after hours in response to an email. Helped me locate financial assistance for my IVF meds. Always real, but compassionate. Very proactive in treatment and diagnoses.... Dr. B was super compassionate and proactive. He was supportive when I needed a break after my second miscarriage. Ordered a round of tests immediately. After my third, ordered the HSG. I couldn't have had a more proactive doctor
2011 - 2013
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other
Dr. B was super compassionate and proactive. He was supportive when I needed a break after my second miscarriage. Ordered a round of tests immediately. After my third, ordered the HSG. I couldn't have had a more proactive doctor.
Book an appointment NOW!
Dr. B called me at home after hours in response to an email. Helped me locate financial assistance for my IVF meds. Always real, but compassionate. Very proactive in treatment and diagnoses.
Kristy, Dr. B's nurse, was super compassionate. Brought my tissues when we lost our second pregnancy (first under their care) and had become a "friend" following my twins.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
3 Offices to chose from and schedule with. 3 amazing doctors. Compassionate community. In person and online support groups. Evening and weekend hours. Return calls in less than 24 hours. They are amazing.
Cincinnati
I was disappointed that 3 ivf cycles didn't work but he [Dr. Thomas Burwinkel] was very compassionate. He encouraged donor embryos but I wasn't receptive to that. He is top notch. He focused on my emotional recovery after miscarriages as well as physical recovery...He was very patient, kind, and warm...Antagonist protocol
I was disappointed that 3 ivf cycles didn't work but he was very compassionate. He encouraged donor embryos but I wasn't receptive to that. He is top notch. He focused on my emotional recovery after miscarriages as well as physical recovery
Ask questions
He was very patient, kind, and warm
Antagonist protocol
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Health.
There are a lot of patients so sometimes I had to follow up if something was missing or timing of appointments was off
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
Sometimes you feel like a number especially after a failed cycle
Ivf cycle with icsi about $15000
2012 - 2014
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
We enjoyed working with Dr. Burwinkel and felt he was very honest and helpful....Dr. B made sure to ask how we were doing throughout the journey and to make sure we understood the process....Dr. Burwinkel was not as outgoing/personable as some of the other doctors in the practice [Cincinnati Fertility] but I appreciated that. He was there to work with us - establish a plan for us and guide us through it - which he did very well.
2012 - 2014
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
We enjoyed working with Dr. Burwinkel and felt he was very honest and helpful.
Dr. Burwinkel was not as outgoing/personable as some of the other doctors in the practice but I appreciated that. He was there to work with us - establish a plan for us and guide us through it - which he did very well.
Cincinnati
Dr. Burwinkel was direct, but kind. He told us what we needed to do for the best chance of success and we followed his recommendations- he was correct down to the number of embryos he thought we could get and ultumatlely we were successful.... Dr. Burwinkel knows his stuff. I’m grateful he’s at IRH and to live so close by to such a successful clinic.
Dr. Burwinkel knows his stuff. I’m grateful he’s at IRH and to live so close by to such a successful clinic. I have not been surprised that nurses at my own OB’s office have shared that they’ve gone to IRH for their infertility treatment too. It’s known as the best place in this region.
Go into it appreciating an honest opinion. If he doesn’t think something will work (ie IUI) then appreciate that he doesn’t want to waste your time or money. We were grateful he had us go straight to IVF. It was incredibly costly, but absolutely worth it.
There are many nurses and everything is handled by phone through them. I’d like to see a nurse get assigned to each patient specifically for continuity of care. Otherwise they always return phone calls same day and are very kind.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
It’s a very successful clinic. They are worth checking out for sure. They do have a voicemail system that takes all calls, so you have to go into it not expecting to talk to a person the first time you call. But when you are in treatment your voicemails are returned same day.
Cincinnati
Hes [Dr. Thomas Burwinkel] very nice, good bedside manners answers every question you have and tells you what to expect including percentages if necessary. Jokes around to make things feel less intense i actually miss seeing him and wish he was a practising OB for full pregnancy... Femara, gonal F, ovidrel and iui. I had atleast 2 follicles each time sometimes 3.
Hes very nice, good bedside manners answers every question you have and tells you what to expect including percentages if necessary. Jokes around to make things feel less intense i actually miss seeing him and wish he was a practising OB for full pregnancy
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Health.
The only thing I did not like is no ine answers the phone. You have to leave a message and wait for someone to call you back otherwise they are amazing. They get you in asap when its necessary for your treatement and they are pretty prompt on taking you back.