Thomas Kim

Reproductive Medicine Associates of Southern California (RMA of Southern California)

Medical SchoolLoyola U.
ResidencyNaval Med Ctr
FellowshipNational Inst of Health
Los Angeles
11500 W. Olympic Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90064
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Thomas Kim to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 100%9.8
9.8

5.6

2 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Kim is very patient, during our first consult, he took time to understand our prior failure with another clinic and the protocol that we followed. He was very honest and forthcoming in answering all our questions/concerns. After our first consult, I had complete faith in his approach and treatment protocol for us...We used the long lupron protocol, stimmed for 8 days, resulting in 11 eggs, 8 fertilized with ICSI, and we had 2 day 6 blastocysts. We elected to do PGS, which resulted in a single normal embryo.
2 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Kim and entire staff of RMA treated me with empathy, kindness and excellent attention to detail. I was never made to feel like another statistic/number, I believe my doctor and nurse sincerely cared for the outcome of my treatment.
Describe the protocols Thomas Kim used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Nicole Michaels)
Nicole was my primary point of contact throughout my treatment (IVF/FET) cycles. She would call me back with results, instructions and next steps in a timely manner. On days when she was out of office, the person covering would always reach out in a timely manner as well. She promptly responded to all my phone calls and emails.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Strengths: - Excellent team of doctors and nurses. Every single doctor I met was extremely efficient and also friendly. - Excellent embryology lab, this is a critical factor in their success rates. - Short wait times for monitoring, I was in and out in about 15-30 minutes.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New Jersey.
Monitoring was very efficient. I went to Basking ridge location for most of my monitoring.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey.
I had excellent insurance coverage, which covered most of treatment cost. I was responsible for co-pays, deductible, co-insurances.
Basking Ridge

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey.

2012 - 2016
At times he [Dr. Kim] seemed cold and clinical but I can appreciate now how being a Doctor Who is more emotional about it would've made it harder for me. ..When it came time to decide whether not to do a fourth cycle he laid out the odds for us in a very matter-of-fact factor and again I appreciate that he was not emotional about it and try to use percentages and averages to explain what the possibilities were of things working
2012 - 2016
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
Overall I was happy. At times he seemed cold and clinical but I can appreciate now how being a Doctor Who is more emotional about it would've made it harder for me. I think you did a good job at explaining what we were dealing with. When it came time to decide whether not to do a fourth cycle he laid out the odds for us in a very matter-of-fact factor and again I appreciate that he was not emotional about it and try to use percentages and averages to explain what the possibilities were of things working
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
I think I think as a patient you have to take into consideration your personality and when interviewing prospective doctors consider how their bedside manner will work as either a pro or con for you
I think he had a good combination of being frank about what we were dealing with but being sympathetic to the situation
After reviewing the percentage of successful birth with IUI compared IVF it only seemed to make sense to do the IVF since it had such a higher rate of success even though it was more invasive. Looking back now on the second cycle we did which we started as an IVF but switched are you why because my follicles were not growing properly seems like kind of a waste of money
You saw different people different nurses different doctors every time you went in but working full time made it difficult to schedule things. This clinic turned out to be the right situation for us because we could always get a early morning appointments before heading to work even though I only saw Dr. Kim I handful of times
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Drinks would be the flexibility. I was still working full-time in New York when I had to go through treatments so while some people may not like the fact they see the same doctor or staff every time they come in it was a strength for me since I didn't ever have to worry about getting an appointment for blood work
Too many to remember but I think each IVF retrieval cycle cost about $6000 and medication cost another $4000. The frozen transfer cost about $3000 and the medications about $1500
Describe Thomas Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
We had already decided we were only going to do one embryo at a time and did not want to chance twins. Also out of four attempts of IVF cycles we only ended up with two embryos and decided to transfer them separately anyway. If we had ended up with more embryos I still don't think we would have done multiple transfers
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New Jersey?
Basking Ridge

He [Dr Kim] was patient and kind and explained everything thoroughly. There was excellent communication. At our initial consult, Dr. Kim explained everything in such detail and made sure we understood what was going on. Once testing and treatment started, my nurse was an amazing resource and would contact me sometimes multiple times a day to update me and check on how I was doing.
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
He was patient and kind and explained everything thoroughly.
I was on an estrogen-primed antagonist protocol. I had bloodwork and ultrasounds on day 3 (baseline), after 3 days of stims, after 5 days, and after 6 days. I triggered after 6 days of stims. My stims were 150 IU of menopur and 200 IU of follistim. I started ganirelix on day 4 of stims. At my egg retrieval, 3 eggs were retrieved, of which 2 were mature. Both of my two eggs were fertilized with ICSI and both made it to 5 day blastocysts. One was transferred to me, resulting in my current pregnancy, and the other was frozen. I am very pleased with these results, especially with my DOR.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Anne Tepper )
Anne was absolutely wonderful. She was my main line of communication and was incredibly easy to reach. Some days she would call me multiple times to update me and see how I was doing. She didn't let any setbacks get to me and kept reminding me of the end goal. I would highly recommend her.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
I have been nothing but happy with them. Their wait times are excellent - during morning bloodwork I'm normally in and out in less than ten minutes. I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes. Their lab is top notch. They don't check on embryos until day 5, which can be nerve wracking, but it is better for the embryos to not be disturbed. The whole team is very professional.
Morning monitoring is between 6-7:30 on weekdays (until 10 on weekends). I never had to wait more than a few minutes. They understand that you have to go to work and get you in and out quickly and efficiently, while still feeling cared for.
My insurance covered almost everything except for the occasional $10 copay and the cost for embryo cryopreservation and storage (explicitly excluded as part of the NJ state mandate).

2013 - 2015
Anovulation, PCOS, Other, Unexplained
Dr. Kim is a professional and experienced. We liked to call him the "embryo whisperer", as we always had positive results when he did our transfers. As his patient, he came down to personally do my transfers. I appreciated that.... When we went back to Dr. Kim to try again after our loss, he grieved with us and made us feel like we had a second chance. And we did. We did two back-to-back retrievals and the first embryo we transferred resulted in my now three year old son.
2013 - 2015
Anovulation, PCOS, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
You do deal with the nurses more than the actual doctor on a day-to-day basic, but if you have questions or concerns ... always feel that you can reach out to him.
Dr. Kim is compassionate. Our first transfer of two embryos resulting in a twin pregnancy, which I lost at 22 weeks. When we went back to Dr. Kim to try again after our loss, he grieved with us and made us feel like we had a second chance. And we did. We did two back-to-back retrievals and the first embryo we transferred resulted in my now three year old son.
We used the Antagonist Protocol, although I don't really know his rationale for using them. I pretty much put my faith in that he knew what he was doing. Some of the injectables we used were ... Follistim AQ, Menopur, Ganirelix, Ovidrel. I always produced a good amount of eggs, just not necessarily PGD normal ones.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Ann Tepper, then Jennifer Dwyer)
Ann Tepper was my nurse when I got pregnant with the twins...and then when I came back for my eSet with my son. She was great, always very communicative but also very much to the point. Jennifer was my nurse during my remaining two eSet that unfortunately let to a chemical and negative pregnancy test. She was also compassionate and reliable. I loved them both.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMANJ is a excellent clinic with high success rates and experienced, usually compassionate doctors that are willing to work with you to provide the best standard of care. The office visits are very efficient. That said, one of the downsides is probably a long wait time for initial consults and workups. Usually a month or more out.
It was an efficient well-oiled machine, with sometimes a bit of a wait in the morning. Weekends are very hectic ... best bet, get there early.
With my insurance, my costs were minimal. The largest cost was PGD/CCS. Other payments were co-pays and some lab fees and minor medication supplies and supplement costs.
After the loss of my twins at close to 22 weeks, I did not want to risk multiples. So it was pretty much eSET or nothing, after that. Dr. Kim agreed.

2013 - 2014
Dr. Kim truly understood what my husband and I were going through. Him and his wife also dealt with infertility.... so he knows what it does to you and how it changes you. He helped find me clinical studies to help save me money since my insurance didn’t cover IVF.... We started with injectibles. He did recommend we go straight to IVF. I knew he was right because my husbands sperm count, mobility and morphology were all low.
2013 - 2014
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
As previous stated before Dr. Kim is an amazing man and someone who also dealt with infertility so he knows what it does to you and how it changes you. He helped find me clinical studies to help save me money since my insurance didn’t cover IVF.
Trust his opinions and trust him as a doctor.
Dr. Kim truly understood what my husband and I were going through. Him and his wife also dealt with infertility. Their infertility issues was the reason he switched to reproductive medicine. He always made me feel comfortable and confident which is what you need when you’re in a cycle. You don’t need to be discouraged. He also went out of his way to go my transfer when we wasn’t the doctor on call that day. I recommended him to so many of my friends and those who used him all have their babies now.
We started with injectibles. He did recommend we go straight to IVF. I knew he was right because my husbands sperm count, mobility and morphology were all low. But my insurance covered IUIs so we did those until we maxed out (4 cycles). We then did a natural ivf cycle, it was all completely free. He said chances would work with a singleton pregnancy but it also had low chances of working because it wasn’t a medicated cycle. Unfortunately I didn’t have an egg in the one follicle I produced that cycle. After that we went straight to ivf. I remember worrying that I was getting enough follicles and dr Kim listened to my concerns looked at all the monitoring reports and in the end I had a great retrevial. 19 collected, 15 were mature, 14 fertilized and 8 in total after GENETIC testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Lauren Nervi)
My primary nurse was amazing. I loved her. Always so responsive and so smart. All the nurses on staff were amazing as well.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Their strength are all in their numbers. Looking up their SART was what made me switch fertility clinics. Possibly weaknesses might be they have taken over another fertility group and opened many more offices since I have been a patient. I am not sure if all the new offices and staff have the knowledge and compassion as the staff back when they weren’t all over NJ. I still would recommend them in a heart beat. Because of them I have my two beautiful twin girls
I was always in and out in the basking ridge office. I loved the office itself too. It was beautiful, clean and bright.
Monitoring days/bloodwork days, I had no copay. They performed double IUIs for the cost of one. IVF cost was 10,500 ICSI AND genetic testing was included (part of study)
Rmanj really try to keep your transfer to a minimum of 1 because it is safer on the mother and the babies. However the study I was a part of I had to transfer 2 embryos.
Basking Ridge

He is honest, yet open to patient suggestions. Most importantly he gets the job done. He is a very intelligent doctor. I felt like I was in good hands with Dr.Kim....Dr. Kim said he would not consider putting two embryos in me. Flat out told me I was little and I have had a previous fibroid removal sergury...He also recommended testing of the embryos since before I began with him I had 3 losses in a row...once you meet with him you will see how passionate he is about getting you results.
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
He is honest, yet open to patient suggestions. Most importantly he gets the job done. He is a very intelligent doctor. I felt like I was in good hands with Dr.Kim. I have heard some say he is not the hand holding type. However, what I needed was someone who would be blunt and get us pregnant. We owe him the world! We have our absolute blessing as a result of his skills and talent in the field.
My advise if schedule a meeting or phone call with him, if you need attention. He probably has so many patients to keep track of. However, once you meet with him you will see how passionate he is about getting you results. He is probably spending a lot of time considering and reviewing all of his patient treatment plans.
I could tell he was eager and hard working. I knew he wanted to get results.
Dr. Kim said he would not consider putting two embryos in me. Flat out told me I was little and I have had a previous fibroid removal sergury. I am glad he recommended this. He also recommended testing of the embryos since before I began with him I had 3 losses in a row. This was also awesome! Our transfer was successful using the tested embryos and we were able avoid possible implanting two translocation embryos that would have resulted in miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Andrea)
I did not find her to be a good communicator and she was rude. I do not think she is working here any more. I heard his new nurse is nice.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
There strength is in there results! The support services they connect you with and offer. The testing lab on sight. Their availability and skill. Weaknesses: sometimes you feel like you are just on an assembly line. However, work it,it is worth it!
I was glad that they started early so I could get to work on time.
I don't remember, but I was fortunate to have my insurance cover a great deal of it.
He was definitely for SET with testing. He emphasized safety and health for the children and mother

2012 - 2013
I was a 40 yr old single woman with a blocked tube. IUI was recommended with the help of Clomid and an objectively that I dont remember. We did IUI on 2 co securities mornings and I was pregnant with twins on that first try...Dr. Kim was was great. I got the results I wanted quickly so I did not need to see him often. He was surprised at how good my eggs were and said I had the eggs of a 34 year old. I trusted him with all procedures.
2012 - 2013
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
He was friendly and approachable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey.
So organized it surprised me. Everything was coordinated seamlessly. Wait times were always reasonable.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
They were great start to finish. I wish my actual procedure could have been done closer to me ( my office was in West Orange but IUI and genetic counseling was further away in Basking Ridge)
My insurance covered all tests, medications, and care. My out of pocket expense was for the donor sperm and IUI procedure.
West Orange

8 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
He [Dr. Thomas Kim] was a good doctor, knew what he was talking about, was happy to explain things to me, and did not mind being asked questions or explaining his reasoning for things. He did not act like every question I had was questioning his "authority" as a doctor. This was not the case with previous REs. The only thing that I did not like was that he suggested transferring two donor egg embryos. I wanted eSet and he was fine with that.
8 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
He was a good doctor, knew what he was talking about, was happy to explain things to me, and did not mind being asked questions or explaining his reasoning for things. He did not act like every question I had was questioning his "authority" as a doctor. This was not the case with previous REs. The only thing that I did not like was that he suggested transferring two donor egg embryos. I wanted eSet and he was fine with that.
He took the time to meet with me, had clearly read my long infertility history.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Ann Marie)
They were great.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
They were a bit like a bus station waiting room but everyone was kind and compassionate and I didn't feel like just a number.
He suggested transferring two donor egg embryos but I insisted on eSet.