Medical SchoolU. of North Carolina
FellowshipU. of Texas Southwestern
5704 Fayetteville Road
Durham, NC 27713
919-572-4673
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Thomas Price to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Duke Fertility Center to a friend?
I started seeing Dr. Price for recurrent loss. He ran a slew of tests, more than most doctors seem to, and gave me options for further testing. Due to some of my numbers, we tried Femara/Letrozole for 1 cycle (had a CP) and Clomid for another (had an ectopic). Our next plan of attack is Clomid again...He [Dr. Thomas Price] may not be the most sensitive man when it comes to speaking, and can be very blunt. But he knows what he's talking about and is thorough. He's good at explaining issues, reasons, medications, and treatment plans. And he's usually quick to respond (and will respond to a ton of questions, even if he may think they're silly). He gives pros and cons, laying out options and helping you understand them, but lets you make decisions about your own care when there is a choice to be made. He hasn't been pushy about treatments and has been caring when I have experienced loss.
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
I wrote this above, but I think he genuinely cares. He may not be the most sensitive man when it comes to speaking, and can be very blunt. But he knows what he's talking about and is thorough. He's good at explaining issues, reasons, medications, and treatment plans. And he's usually quick to respond (and will respond to a ton of questions, even if he may think they're silly). He gives pros and cons, laying out options and helping you understand them, but lets you make decisions about your own care when there is a choice to be made. He hasn't been pushy about treatments and has been caring when I have experienced loss.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
Understand that his personality might not meet your needs, and that is fine. He is a bit socially awkward and seems to have an all-absorbing interest his field -- but that interest and knowledge is why I like him. He knows his stuff but may not have the "bedside manner" that some people need/want.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Price is a bit socially awkward and is very blunt/direct...but he cares. He gets to know you, asks about other parts of your life, takes those into consideration in his treatment, and responds quickly and thoroughly. He will reply 1000 times to questions. And genuinely seems to care if we succeed.
Describe the protocols Thomas Price used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
The nurses all seem caring and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Scheduling an appointment isn't terribly hard, depending on what you need. But my biggest complaint is wait time for blood draws -- waiting an hour+ for something that takes <5 minutes is a terrible waste of my time. The office staff is friendly and helpful, though.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center.
This is very different with insurances, so I can't say specifics.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Price is a very straight forward person. He is very serious in his practice. He rarely smiles but makes eye contact when needed. He only saw my husband and I twice and we had to deal with other doctors and nurses in the clinic....He will remain professional and be straight forward with you but do not expect any warm and fuzzy feeling.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
After the first visit we had with Dr. Price we had to deal with other doctors and nurses in the clinic for other testing and blood work and they adjust medication and dose.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center.
I had to work with multiple nurses. At times it was confusing since so many people provided care for me.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
I would say as big as Duke facility is, this clinic has no business to be closed on holidays and no lab or cycle needs to get wasted based on hours of operation. If Duke ER can be open 24-7 then this clinic should refer patients to Duke ER for further testing during holiday hours and when they are closed. We had to change our treatment time a couple of times due to Thanksgiving and Christmas time b/c the clinic was closed and we could not go for testing. Therefore, we were told during those time to just try naturally and skip the IUI treatment. Despite high cost of medication we had to delay that and it is not fair at all.
At least 50% of cost of doctor visit and medication were covered by insurance and even despite that we have spent more than 10,000.00 and to continue with IVF or egg donor was impossible for us due to additional cost.
2013 - 2014
2 IUI, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
After going through a couple cycles with him and looking back (after transferring to a different clinic), I don't think his [Dr Thomas Price] approach was nearly as aggressive enough as was warranted for my situation. After 2 failures (both BFPs that didn't make it out of the first trimester), he jumped straight to donor egg as one of my next options to evaluate. When he had zero explanation for the losses.
2013 - 2014
2 IUI, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
While initially my impression of Dr. Price was positive, looking back I question the course of action that he directed us to take knowing our history.
If you don't like a doctor who's style is very direct, consider a different doctor.
My initial interactions with Dr. Price was that he was very direct and knowledgeable. We like that style. After going through a couple cycles with him and looking back (after transferring to a different clinic), I don't think his approach was nearly as aggressive enough as was warranted for my situation. After 2 failures (both BFPs that didn't make it out of the first trimester), he jumped straight to donor egg as one of my next options to evaluate. When he had zero explanation for the losses.
cycle one - Femera (5mg cycle days 3-7), trigger shot, timed intercourse, progesterone supplementation after BFP, chemical pregnancy cycle two - clomid (50mg cycle days 3-7), trigger shot, timed intercourse, progesterone supplementation after BFP, first trimester miscarriage
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Front desk staff was always friendly and welcoming. Lab staff were hit or miss (some were great, some took 2 tries before successfully drawing blood out of my arm). Counseling on site at the time I attended (Julia Woodward) but after several visits I found no benefit and discontinued care.
PCOS, Unexplained
He's [Dr. Price] on the direct/blunt side, but I like that. Not super warm/fuzzy, but still kind. Really good at explaining every step during examinations and procedures, and keeping me calm. Answers questions in session, and through patient portal....I did 3 rounds of Prednisone and letrozol, which were unsuccessful in creating a pregnancy. He thinks I have PCOS and may not be ovulating, but I did appear to ovulate on the meds. An HSG was done, and IUI was recommended. Haven't started that yet.
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
He's on the direct/blunt side, but I like that. Not super warm/fuzzy, but still kind. Really good at explaining every step during examinations and procedures, and keeping me calm. Answers questions in session, and through patient portal.
Be sure your male partner has been assessed if applicable.
Allowed me to ask questions, and responds to emails.
Generally kind and easy to talk to. Front desk staff sometimes appear busy/preoccupied.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Generally well organized, biggest strength is doctors, biggest weakness was financial advising staff. They seemed to frame everything in a negative light and really overwhelmed me. The online patient portal is great.
So far everything has been covered by insurance, with a copay. IUI will be 547+meds, ivf is estimated around 14k.
Describe Thomas Price's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Duke Fertility Center.
Durham
He [Dr. Thomas Price] refused to treat me based on my age. The exchange was abrupt and curt. He said the cut off was 43 for IVF at his clinic. I had just turned 44. I drove over 2 hours for the appointment... He reluctantly told me my success with egg donor ivf would be greater, then handed me off to office staff for a flyer on egg donation costs, but in every gesture rejected me as a client. I am interested in egg donation, and already knew my chances with my own eggs were low, but never expected to be treated so badly.
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
I was refused treatment based on my age. I am 44. This information was not included on the clinic's website and I was not informed when I called to make the appointment even though my age and intent were stated. I drove over two hours for the appointment. He reluctantly told me my success with egg donor ivf would be greater, then handed me off to office staff for a flyer on egg donation costs, but in every gesture rejected me as a client. I am interested in egg donation, and already knew my chances with my own eggs were low, but never expected to be treated so badly.
Call the clinic before an initial appointment if you are over 40 and make sure they do not have age requirements or cutoffs.
He refused to treat me based on my age. The exchange was abrupt and curt. He said the cut off was 43 for IVF at his clinic. I had just turned 44. I drove over 2 hours for the appointment.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
It seemed clean. I did not have to wait long. The clinic does not post age restrictions on their website or inform you when you make initial appointments. Many people drive far for ivf treatment so this should be protocol.
I was refused treatment and my copay was returned.
2014 - 2018
1 IUI, 4 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
Dr. Price patiently listened to my every concern. He was so kind and thoughtful. He would allow me to share studies with him and explain in a data driven way why he might come out differently. I think he’s probably the most thoughtful and knowledgeable physician I have ever encountered....Antagonist protocol (twice), with PGS testing of 5 day embryos. Produced 7 5-day embryos across two freeze all cycles. Agonist protocol with 3 day freeze all embryos.
2014 - 2018
1 IUI, 4 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
Don’t be put off my his seemingly straightforward manner. He’s a compassionate and brilliant clinician.
Dr. Price is an incredibly thoughtfu and truly brilliant physician. His demeanor is very straightforward, but he’s very honest, deeply thoughtful and always patient.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
They are a very good clinic. They don’t have the most up to date technology, and you primarily see the REI fellow, but the physicians are very responsive to email communications and very thoughtful. I do wish the Used time-lapsed monitoring of embryos and had 3D sonography. I don’t know the quality of the lab and have a sense that it varies by the embryologist working.
9k per cycle plus 1500 for ICSI plus 2 k for PGS testing.
2011 - 2012
He [Dr. Price] actually used the phrases "you're never going to get pregnant with numbers like that" and when my second ivf cycle failed he said the he didn't know what to do next and they'd just "try transferring met embryos next time." Her offered no change in treatment plan other than more embryos...No one really made an effort to get to know us with the exception of a fellow. It was a rather cold feeling office...
2011 - 2012
How was your experience with Thomas Price at Duke Fertility Center?
He actually used the phrases "you're never going to get pregnant with numbers like that" and when my second ivf cycle failed he said the he didn't know what to do next and they'd just "try transferring met embryos next time." Her offered no change in treatment plan other than more embryos.
Go to another clinic
IUI cycles involved both lh and fsh but ivf cycles did not Laparoscopy with ablation of endometriosis No ICSI the first cycle (resulting in about 10% fertilization rate) simply because he didn't see a need for it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center.
Good teacher, took days to return phone calls, forgot to order meds more than once
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Not very organized, there will be residents and fellows involved in your care, you will see multiple docs and rarely the one you started with
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Duke Fertility Center.
Efficient
Don't remember. We had insurance coverage, but getting the billing office to actually bill them was hard work
2005 - 2012
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
He [Dr. Price] was amazing. Very personable. Personally called to check on me. Personally met me at the clinic in the weekend to draw labs...He was very kind and caring and was there for me every step of the way. Very knowledge and thourough. He describe every detail of what to expect. He was always available and responsive. He seem s to understand PCOS better than any other Doctor I had seen.
2005 - 2012
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
He’s great! See him!!
He was amazing. Very personable. Personally called to check on me. Personally met me at the clinic in the weekend to draw labs.
It’s been a long time but what I can remember is starting with clomid because I wasn’t ovulating. When that didn’t work injections. When that didn’t work added IUI. When that didn’t work IVF. Ended up using ICSI too because sperm motility was poor.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
They were always available and responsive. Every single person I met was kind and caring from the receptionist to the lab staff to the embryologist to the nurses to the doctors to the students. Amazing place!
As a Duke employee I got 50% off so I think I spend around $5k or so
It was up to us. We went with 2 because we were okay with the idea of twins and wanted to increase our chances