Tia Jackson-Bey

26 Court Street, Suite 2710
Brooklyn, NY 11242
718-532-8700

2020 - 2021, Unknown Success
Dr. Jackson-Bey was extremely sensitive, thoughtful and personable. I was very sensitive and anxious and she took the time to listen to me and help me think through challenging decisions...She was understanding of my feelings and accomodated my wish for this other path even though she did make it clear that she thought IVF was the best path forward...she was always quick to respond to emails. She took the time to call me when I got disappointing results...
The nurse - Lucy - was fantastic [at RMA of New York]. So professional, organized, kind and responsive. I felt very taken care of. The care coordinator changed several times and none of them were particularly helpful. We had a lot of issues navigating insurance, pre-authorizations for meds, scheduling, etc. There was a separate finance team and the person I was assigned to was also not very helpful...
How was your experience with Tia Jackson-Bey at RMA of New York?
Dr. Jackson-Bey was very compassionate and responsive. I had tons of random questions in between appointments and she was always quick to respond to emails. She took the time to call me when I got disappointing results (i.e. negative pregnancy test from an IUI). She really cares about her patients and about her work. She is active in advocacy around infertility issues and getting more people access to infertility care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tia Jackson-Bey at RMA of New York?
Be as specific as possible in asking questions. Make sure to be clear on your communication style - i.e. if you're someone who likes blunt direct communication, be upfront about that.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tia Jackson-Bey at RMA of New York?
Dr. Jackson-Bey was extremely sensitive, thoughtful and personable. I was very sensitive and anxious and she took the time to listen to me and help me think through challenging decisions. She has a great personality and really cares about her patients.
Describe the protocols Tia Jackson-Bey used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Dr. Jackson-Bey initially recommended IVF from the outset because of my history of anovulation and DOR. I was very resistant to IVF and so we agreed to try medicated IUIs first. She was understanding of my feelings and accomodated my wish for this other path even though she did make it clear that she thought IVF was the best path forward. I ended up doing 6 IUIs because I responded well to them and there was no obvious reason that an IUI wouldn't have worked for me. Eventually I felt very ready to try IVF and so we made the switch. My first protocol was one designed for women with DOR or poor responders. I didn't get many eggs but the results of blasts was very strong. We decided to do another cycle to bank embryos because of our desire to have two kids. The second cycle we used a different protocol that I did not respond as well to and we also had a male-factor issue so we ended up freezing eggs only. After that we took a break as we were pretty shaken up from that experience and decided to switch doctors within the practice purely for a psychological "reset." We are soon preparing to transfer the euploid embryos that we got from that first IVF cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Lucy)
The nurse - Lucy - was fantastic. So professional, organized, kind and responsive. I felt very taken care of. The care coordinator changed several times and none of them were particularly helpful. We had a lot of issues navigating insurance, pre-authorizations for meds, scheduling, etc. There was a separate finance team and the person I was assigned to was also not very helpful.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
We chose the clinic because of it's strong reputation, location, and because they take our insurance - GHI. The doctors and nurses have been amazing and the location in downtown Brooklyn is ideal. We've also had great experiences with all of our procedures - IUIs, egg retrievals - at the Madison Ave location. We did one IUI in Soho that was also great. On the other hand, for routine matters, the coordinating staff and finance staff are lacking. It might be also a factor of our insurance being shitty but we've had a terrible time coordinating pre-authorizations. My husband and I end up spending hours on the phone with the pharmacy, insurance for the first few days of each cycle. It was extremely stressful for both of us and probably impacted the results of our cycles.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tia Jackson-Bey at RMA of New York.
The major procedures were covered 100% by insurance (unlimited IUIs and up to 3 IVF cycles) but we decided to pay for ICSI ($2,000) and PGT testing ($2,500).
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New York?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
We had some issues with nurses giving us the wrong protocol over the phone. I had received the protocol via email from the nurse so I double-checked it and had to call back to confirm. This happened twice. We also had a lot of issues getting the medication delivered on time. We ended up doing a lot of three-way calling among the clinic, pharmacy and insurance. It became a second full-time job at certain points.
Tia Jackson-Bey