Medical SchoolU. of South Dakota
ResidencyU. of Kansas
FellowshipBeth Israel Boston
1500 W 22nd Street
Sioux Falls, SD 57105
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Tiffany Von Wald to a friend?

5.4

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Tiffany [Dr. Von Wald] is very smart, but doesn't break things down well for non medical people. She doesn't have the absolute warmest bedside manner. I struggled to feel as though she was as invested in my journey as I was. Though maybe not intentional I always felt like a number. My husband and I have seen Tiffany in clinic (over the year we have undergone treatment) twice (once because I semi demanded to)... it gets frustrating always seeing NPs and hearing back from nurses.
I had really horrible experinces with the US techs and a couple nurses [at Sanford Fertility]. One nurse in particular, Mandy, is so terrible. Through my miscarriages/ectopic she was very demeaning, cold and belittled my concerns. She treated me as if I was an annoyance. She didn't acknowledge my pregnancies as such because I was so early (4-5 wks). She never gave me time to ask questions on the phone. She would reply to my messages to Dr. VonWald without even consulting her. US techs are cold. They very casually tell me they see nothing in my uterus when I had be trialing for weeks with positive preg tests and fluctauing hcg levels... that is sensitive info to divulge so carelessly to which I sobbed with no compassion on their part.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Tiffany is very smart, but doesn't break things down well for non medical people. She doesn't have the absolute warmest bedside manner. I struggled to feel as though she was as invested in my journey as I was. Though maybe not intentional I always felt like a number. My husband and I have seen Tiffany in clinic (over the year we have undergone treatment) twice (once because I semi demanded to)... it gets frustrating always seeing NPs and hearing back from nurses.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Be a self advocate. Do not be afraid to ask questions/seek clarification (not matter how annoying you think you are being) and demand good service and communication.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Tiffany is smart and kind, but we have only met with her twice in tje year we have been there. The rest of the staff is very rude (Mandy, RN), cold and demeaning (with the exception of Shanna Kontz--she is great). I never felt like anyone does any extra digging to uncover my specific cycle trends, ovulation, hormone patterns, etc. I also feel as though I have to advocate for myself/husband a lot because they are terrible at keeping you updated and addressing questions.
Describe the protocols Tiffany Von Wald used in your cycles at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Clomid or letrazole day 3 through 7. Menopur day 9. US and trigger shot. IUI day after.
I had really horrible experinces with the US techs and a couple nurses. One nurse in particular, Mandy, is so terrible. Through my miscarriages/ectopic she was very demeaning, cold and belittled my concerns. She treated me as if I was an annoyance. She didn't acknowledge my pregnancies as such because I was so early (4-5 wks). She never gave me time to ask questions on the phone. She would reply to my messages to Dr. VonWald without even consulting her. US techs are cold. They very casually tell me they see nothing in my uterus when I had be trialing for weeks with positive preg tests and fluctauing hcg levels... that is sensitive info to divulge so carelessly to which I sobbed with no compassion on their part.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
They are pretty flexible at getting you in for US and testing. They were not very timely with results, appt times, etc... Also, several times O was waiting on the waiting room there were children. I know it is maybe not realistic, but man would it be nice to not have to stare at a child when you are about to find out you miscarried.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Our insurance on covered some diagnostic testing. So all genetic testing, intra cycle ultrasounds, medication (oral and injectables), copays for each an every visit and all ART procedures were out of pocket. The have a finance guy, Tyler, who was EXTREMELY unhelpful. I am still not exactly sure what his job is as he didn't help us with understand our insirance coverage or working with our insurance.
What specific things went wrong at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.

2012 - 2019
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Surrogacy
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
She [Dr. Von Wald] took her time to explain everything, never made us feel rushed and answered all of our questions...did a lot of research & called her colleagues from different out of state hospitals to review our records and offer advice. She then met with us for over an hour going over everything. Although it didn’t work out we appreciate all the time she put into us trying to be successful. After 8 years of trying she treated us more like family then a patient.
They [nurses at Sanford Fertility] are amazing. They have so many patients and know my information without having to look it up. So compassionate, great advice and always there to listen...Stacy at the front desk is amazing. she will make you feel so comfortable and invited into a place where you are so confused and nervous...Frozen embryo transfer (with out meds) was around 4500$. (That’s if no additional tests/ultrasounds were needed) Retrieval with PGS testing 22-27000. With Meds.
2012 - 2019
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Surrogacy
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr VonWald did a lot of research & called her colleagues from different out of state hospitals to review our records and offer advice. She then met with us for over an hour going over everything. Although it didn’t work out we appreciate all the time she put into us trying to be successful. After 8 years of trying she treated us more like family then a patient.
Ask questions - she’s there to answer them
She took her time to explain everything, never made us feel rushed and answered all of our questions.
Our last protocol was depot Lupron x3 months- Daily meds included- myo-inositol, cinnamon, coq10, metformin, baby aspirin, Then 2mg estrogen orally TID to thicken lining. Prior to transfer doxycycline daily x3 days and start progesterone oil 1.5ml daily. After transfer cont progesterone, daily meds listed above, and then start lovenox daily and bid prednisone. She was treating for everything- inflammation, blood clotting, pcos and endometriosis.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Amy or Katie)
They are amazing. They have so many patients and know my information without having to look it up. So compassionate, great advice and always there to listen
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Come prepared to ask questions. Book your Ultrasounds out in advance if you need a certain time. If your flexible then don’t worry. Stacy at the front desk is amazing. she will make you feel so comfortable and invited into a place where you are so confused and nervous.
Describe Tiffany Von Wald's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Our embryos were PGS tested so they recommended one at a time but were ok if we wanted to do two.
+ Read more- Read less

Having her [Dr. Tiffany Von Wald] as my doctor was a wonderful experience. She was very straightforward and kind. As stressful as all the doctor visits I had, and all of the injections, patches and pills, I never felt alone...I would recommend her in a heartbeat...My retrieval and first transfer went okay. I was on gonal-f, menopur, lupron at the beginning. I did have to increase my menopur once for the cycle. I took progesterone in oil shots after the transfer along with an estradiol patch. My second transfer was with progesterone in oil, and estrogen pills three times daily.
They were all great ladies [the nurses at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine]...They all answered my questions I had over the phone or online. When my first results came back negative one nurse cried with me. I felt like I was family... I've never had any problems. The nurses and doctors are so thoughtful and kind. Even the receptionist knew me by name. I have seen both Dr. Von Wald and Dr. Hanson they are both amazing people and doctors. They will take the time to talk to you about anything you need.
Having her as my doctor was a wonderful experience. She was very straightforward and kind. As stressful as all the doctor visits I had, and all of the injections, patches and pills, I never felt alone. I hope no-one I know will have to go through this hardship. But I would recommend her in a heartbeat.
Don't be scared. You may feel alone, but you're not. I was treated so greatly at sanford, I know you will be too!
Every doctor I had seen knew me by my face. They helped me understand everything that was going on, and they helped me when I found out the blood tests came back negative. I felt like family.
They were all great ladies. My very first meet with the nurses, one of them forgot that I was waiting for her to come back. I did understand that people get busy though. They all answered my questions I had over the phone or online. When my first results came back negative one nurse cried with me. I felt like I was family.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
I've gone to Sanford my whole life. I've never had any problems. The nurses and doctors are so thoughtful and kind. Even the receptionist knew me by name. I have seen both Dr. Von Wald and Dr. Hanson they are both amazing people and doctors. They will take the time to talk to you about anything you need.
Most of it was covered under my insurance, but I needed another shot of gonal-f and that was 300 out of pocket because I maxed my prescription cost from my insurance. My second transfer was about 100 dollars all together.
My doctor said for the first transfer, they'd strongly recommend one embryo. For the second transfer they were okay with 2 embryos because they had been frozen.
+ Read more- Read less

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I love that she [Dr. Von Wald] is down to earth. She understands that this is difficult, time consuming and expensive. I also travel almost 3 hours one way for appointments and she was great about doing as many things at home or scheduling things for the same day when I was seeing her. You don't get to see her every time and I'm ok with that but I knew she looked at everything even when I didn't see her.... First we did 3 IUIs that resulted in 2 pregnancies
They [Sanford Fertility] are Very easy to work with. They make it so easy to schedule appointments. By the 2nd visit I was greeted by my first name!! All the staff are great. They always keep you informed of delays in appointments if there are any but usually there are not. The waiting room is very nice.... [Nursing Staff] Very knowledgeable. I Always receive a call back or return message back within the hour. Love them all. Very caring and compassionate
I love that she is down to earth. She understands that this is difficult, time consuming and expensive. I also travel almost 3 hours one way for appointments and she was great about doing as many things at home or scheduling things for the same day when I was seeing her. You don't get to see her every time and I'm ok with that but I knew she looked at everything even when I didn't see her.
Spend time with her, ask questions, let her know your concerns, ask every question you have, do you own research and go to her with everything
Human!!! Very caring. Greated by name at every visit. Great communication!!
First we did 3 IUIs that resulted in 2 pregnancies, 1st ivf cycle was a long lupron cycle, 2nd was a gentle cycle without lupron and my 3rd was more of a mini ivf cycle that we did oral meds with menopause. My last 2 cycles resulted in pregnancies. Unfortunately my 4 pregnancies ended in losses due to chromosome issues which we knew would be an issue because of my age/eggs
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
They are Very easy to work with. They make it so easy to schedule appointments. By the 2nd visit I was greeted by my first name!! All the staff are great. They always keep you informed of delays in appointments if there are any but usually there are not. The waiting room is very nice.
In SD we do not have infertility coverage so the cost is significant. My insurance was billed for most of the initial testing but most is not covered. They have a billing expert right there in the office that will meet at anytime and he is great. They do not finance through the office but there are several different option for financing.
She is always willing to discuss this with me. With my IVF we did 2 3 day embryos because of my age but we discussed at length the risks and benefits of 1 vs 2

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
It is very difficult to actually get Dr. Von Wald's advice or recommendation. The clinic's default is to have a CNP make treatment decisions. And I often felt as though my treatment plan was forgotten from one appointment to the next. However, I did appreciate a call on a Saturday from Dr. Von Wald changing the course of treatment from what the CNP had directed....I was happy with my meetings with Dr. Von Wald but recognized that she is extremely busy and that she probably wasn't as involved with my course of treatment as I would have liked.
Sometimes I found the nursing staff [at Sanford] to be uninformed and not instill very much confidence. At other times I found them helpful - but they are usually very responsive at least...The clinic is pushing through a lot of patients and this seems to lead to staff not really knowing your case very well from one appointment to the next...The clinic's default is to have a CNP make treatment decisions. And I often felt as though my treatment plan was forgotten from one appointment to the next.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
I was happy with my meetings with Dr. Von Wald but recognized that she is extremely busy and that she probably wasn't as involved with my course of treatment as I would have liked. I chose her, not the NPs, but unfortunately I usually dealt with the NPs. She also had very little to offer me in the way of treatment and explanation of recurrent pregnancy loss. I don't think this is her specialty. Although she is busy, she never rushed me through my discussions with her and welcomed most of my questions. She was somewhat dismissive of a couple of concerns I had, such as about MTHFR. But ultimately she agreed to test me for it.
Know that she is extremely smart and you can trust her, but that you may not be able to deal with her as often as you expect. And you will need to push back if you are doubting the advice you get from Angie or Shanna, and request that they confirm with Dr. Von Wald.
It is very difficult to actually get Dr. Von Wald's advice or recommendation. The clinic's default is to have a CNP make treatment decisions. And I often felt as though my treatment plan was forgotten from one appointment to the next. However, I did appreciate a call on a Saturday from Dr. Von Wald changing the course of treatment from what the CNP had directed. She was only reviewing my plan because I had an appointment booked with her for the following week. So I learned that it was very important to be proactive and demand meetings with her.
She prescribed Letrozole at the lowest dose for the first cycle without results. So in the second cycle she doubled the dose and added a trigger shot. This did not lead to pregnancy. In the third cycle, she took the same approach to the Letrozole but recommended an earlier ultrasound and subsequent trigger shot. This protocol resulted in pregnancy but ended shortly thereafter as a chemical pregnancy.
Sometimes I found the nursing staff to be uninformed and not instill very much confidence. At other times I found them helpful - but they are usually very responsive at least. I just had to push back to make sure they'd checked with Dr. Von Wald when they provided advice.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
I paid for the medications, visits, and procedures and the clinic ran everything through insurance.
What specific things went wrong at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?

2017 - 2019
She [Von Wald] was very kind and helpful in explaining course of action. She took time to get to know our story instead of just reading a history in the medical chart. She has a great team working with her and is always available for questions....We started with letrozole and menopur and then a trigger shot for ovulation. After a couple cycles we started using dexamethasone to speed the cycle. They have been very patient with my cycles
Staff [Sanford Fertility & Repro Med] is great. Being surrounded by kind and caring people during this time is such a comfort. They communicate clearly and often and listen to your needs and respect your plan. Billing is easy to understand and keep up with.... Very kind and knowledgeable, helped answer questions when I had them and listened to my concerns or frustrations.
2017 - 2019
She was very kind and helpful in explaining course of action. She took time to get to know our story instead of just reading a history in the medical chart. She has a great team working with her and is always available for questions.
She's very willing to answer questions, so come with all of them :)
She takes the time to visit with us and explain each step and ask for our feedback.
We started with letrozole and menopur and then a trigger shot for ovulation. After a couple cycles we started using dexamethasone to speed the cycle. They have been very patient with my cycles and attentive to my needs and the plan my husband and I have.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Angela Schmidt)
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Staff is great. Being surrounded by kind and caring people during this time is such a comfort. They communicate clearly and often and listen to your needs and respect your plan. Billing is easy to understand and keep up with.
My husband and I chose not to pursue IVF or insemination. We had costs for each appointment and ultrasound, and then medication. Our insurance covered a significant amount of those costs.

PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other, Unexplained
Dr. Von Wald is great. Honest, compassionate, and you can tell she loves what she does! I have had excellent care, and have hope that we will be able to have a baby with the help of this great team ... Very caring and compassionate, she is blunt and honest but still helpful and considerate of your feelings ... Our protocol has been metformin, myo-inisotol, cinnamon, Femara with Ovidrel. I did well on this protocol, no issues. ...
The clinic [Sandford Fertility and Repro Med] is great, we have had a great experience so far. They have great doctors and great staff. You can't possibly go to a better clinic. Even though we live 3 hours away, it is well worth it, they also offer telehealth and home clinic monitoring which is great! ... The nursing staff is great, very helpful and get back to you promptly if you have questions.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other, Unexplained
Sanford is a fabulous clinic, Dr. Von Wald is great. Honest, compassionate, and you can tell she loves what she does! I have had excellent care, and have hope that we will be able to have a baby with the help of this great team
Be open to trying something different, they may suggest a lot of diagnostic testing, even if you have already had it, do it again! They may find different results
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is great, we have had a great experience so far. They have great doctors and great staff. You can't possibly go to a better clinic. Even though we live 3 hours away, it is well worth it, they also offer telehealth and home clinic monitoring which is great!
I have great insurance, so my medication and diagnostic testing, blood work and ultrasounds has all been covered. We are awaiting a surgical bill, but we haven't had much to pay out of pocket
+ Read more- Read less

Doctor VonWald was always so caring and went over the entire process into detail with me. She answered any questions I had and made my feel at ease and give me hope. I wasn't just a number-I was a person that she truly cared about helping.... Dr. Von Wald helped make a very stressful situation better by communicating what was going on and what the plan of attack was. If something didn't go how originally planned, a new plan was set in place. I felt like I was in good hands that cared about our end goal-having a baby.
All the staff, especially front desk, were so caring and nice. They [Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine] always were so helpful and returned your call if you ever had any questions. The clinic is clean and inviting. Parking is a little busy at times, but there is free valet parking offered.... The total amount for IVF was about $20,000... Dr. Von Wald helped make a very stressful situation better by communicating what was going on and what the plan of attack was.
Anyone going through infertility, I always tell them that it is a rollercoaster ride of emotions and to always have a person to be able to vent to or get emotions off your chest with.
She watched closely over the dosage of shots to stimulate my ovaries. They took a while to respond, so dosages were increased and lots of ultrasounds were done to make sure I didn't overstimulate
They were so caring and helpful!
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
All the staff, especially front desk, were so caring and nice. They always were so helpful and returned your call if you ever had any questions. The clinic is clean and inviting. Parking is a little busy at times, but there is free valet parking offered.
The total amount for IVF was about $20,000
My embryos were in great quality and she recommended just transferring one embryo.
+ Read more- Read less

She [Dr. Von Wald] explained everything to us, our results, what was going to happen next. Asked us if we had questions. She answered our questions. She was a nice, kind doctor. She knew what she was talking about and doing....Her strengths were she explained everything in an a way we could understand. She knew the answers to ou r questions. She explained everything in detail. She answered all our questions. She didn't have any weaknesses.
Clinic [Sanford] employee's were nice and accommodating. Made you feel welcomed. Were nice and greeted us when we walked into the clinic.We had a short wait time. Knew us by our names after awhile. Easy check in with them....Nursing staff was kind, informational, answered all our questions. The nursing staff knew what they were doing and talking about....She [Dr. Von Wald] explained everything to us, our results, what was going to happen next.
She explained everything to us, our results, what was going to happen next. Asked us if we had questions. She answered our questions. She was a nice, kind doctor. She knew what she was talking about and doing.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Clinic employee's were nice and accommodating. Made you feel welcomed. Were nice and greeted us when we walked into the clinic.We had a short wait time. Knew us by our names after awhile. Easy check in with them.
Normal price
+ Read more- Read less

[Dr. Von Wald] Very patient, explains things well. Gave us all options available, went over pros and cons of each. Gave her full recommendation as to what to try first and to do next. Ensures that we know all the steps that will be taken....Each cycle we would up the dosage depending on how last cycle went. She made sure I was feeling fine with the drugs.... Just know it’s going to be a bit of information overload.... Remembers life events
Ease of making appointments. Pretty flexible with appointments. All people [Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine] show great compassion. People start to get to know you by name. Get stopped in the hall for small chat. Everything is very thorough.... [Cost Of Treatment] IUI-$2,000-2,500 each cycle, meds depending. IVF-$17,000-20,000, meds depending.... [Nursing Staff] All very kind and helpful.... Remembers life events
Just know it’s going to be a bit of information overload.
Remembers life events
All very kind and helpful.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Ease of making appointments. Pretty flexible with appointments. All people show great compassion. People start to get to know you by name. Get stopped in the hall for small chat. Everything is very thorough.
She suggests 1 is 2 depending on how many fertilized embryos we can get.
+ Read more- Read less
[Dr. Tiffany Von Wald] has been amazing to work with! She is so kind and caring and cares what you have to say! She always took the time to listen to our concerns and knew how to help us...when we first walked in knew who I was as an individual she knew all about my past and everything. I felt like I had been seeing her my entire life. She was always willing to listen and help us out. She is beyond amazing...We used letrozole for all of my rounds but one and menopure shots about 4 of those and the trigger shot.
This clinic [Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine] probably has weakness but I have not experienced any! Every time I go in I am treated with respect and kindness. I honestly love going to see them. Even if I get bad news. The receptionist knows me by name and always remembers things we talked about like two weeks ago...The other day I absolutely needed to be seen so we could do iui this round. Due to the weather I wasn’t able to make it. Katie made sure I could get an ultrasound in Mitchell and set up a video chat with my doctor.
Dr.vonwald when we first walked in knew who I was as an individual she knew all about my past and everything. I felt like I had been seeing her my entire life. She was always willing to listen and help us out. She is beyond amazing
Take notes, go in with an open mind.
Dr.vonwald has been amazing to work with! She is so kind and caring and cares what you have to say! She always took the time to listen to our concerns and knew how to help us
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Katie )
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic probably has weakness but I have not experienced any! Every time I go in I am treated with respect and kindness. I honestly love going to see them. Even if I get bad news. The receptionist knows me by name and always remembers things we talked about like two weeks ago.
Since insurance doesn’t cover infertility I had lots of lab bills, ultrasound and office visit bills. I had a hsg done and they didn’t cover any of that. Medicine such as shot was crazy
+ Read more- Read less

We started with chlomid and then did letrazol [with Dr. Tiffany Von Wald]. We also did two iuis and are on our second round of ivf...She treats you like a person and knows where you have been and where you want to be. She has been in your shoes and cares...She is very personable and makes you feel welcome. She is a great listener and tells you where you should go next. Her team is great to work with. They get to know you very well and truly care about you.
[The nurses at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine were] very professional and helpful...Around $600 for iui. 15,00 for egg transfer and ivf 1. Ivf 2-3,000...They make you feel so welcome. I feel very comfortable there. They are so encouraging and helpful. They communicate well using my chart. Everyone knows your name and takes interest in your story. The team is all very positive and friendly...They get to know you very well and truly care about you.
Remain positive. Don’t be afraid to reach out and ask her for help.
We started with chlomid and then did letrazol. We also did two iuis and are on our second round of ivf.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Shanna Konz)
They were good communities and very professional and helpful.
Around $600 for iui. 15,00 for egg transfer and ivf 1. Ivf 2-3,000