Medical SchoolU. of South Dakota
ResidencyU. of Kansas
FellowshipBeth Israel Boston
1500 W 22nd Street
Sioux Falls, SD 57105
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Tiffany Von Wald to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
PCOS, Other
Dr Von Wald is a straight shooter in my experience. If you ask her a direct question, she will give you a straight answer. That can come off as not the warmest of interactions, but she does show compassion.... When we didn't know how many embryos to transfer, she told us the risks and how we could make the best decision for our situation.... Dr Von Wald has always been forthcoming with honesty regarding odds, treatment options and her recommendation, but she has never shoved that upon us.
PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Von Wald is a straight shooter in my experience. If you ask her a direct question, she will give you a straight answer. That can come off as not the warmest of interactions, but she does show compassion. When we were in the process of miscarriage, I actually proposed we do another round of retrieval to her. She agreed because of my good response the first time. When we didn't know how many embryos to transfer, she told us the risks and how we could make the best decision for our situation.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Ask the direct questions if you want the answers. She is realistic and will tell you that her goal is to get you pregnant, and keep you pregnant.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Our situation was kind of unique. I felt silly filling out paperwork and claiming to have infertility issues when we had only tried to get pregnant one time and had gotten pregnant one time. Our issue was primarily genetics and creating a healthy baby vs being able to have a baby. She was always willing to answer my questions and concerns, and she always made it a point to ask us about our daughter when we started seeing her to discuss new treatment for our last remaining embryos. Dr Von Wald has always been forthcoming with honesty regarding odds, treatment options and her recommendation, but she has never shoved that upon us.
Describe the protocols Tiffany Von Wald used in your cycles at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We did IVF with PGS testing. I believe I was on a standard IVF regimen, with birth control followed by lupron and stimulation meds for approximately 10 days. for transfer, I had birth control with lupron and estrogen and Progesterone. The first time, I don't think I was on enough progesterone so the second time I was put on suppositories as well as the shot.
The staff is pretty small and you see them all so often that it's nice to get to know them. There are some nurses who you just "click" with moreso than others. I preferred the nurses who went through stuff slowly. It's a lot to digest and process, so the ones who seemed more personally interested made for better experiences.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Most of the staff is pretty awesome. The front desk people are always super friendly and helpful. The biggest weakness I would say are the financial people. You pay for everything up front, but they don't transfer the credits to your outstanding bills. I had to call because I had an almost $9,000 past due bill while $11,000 credit sat on my account. It was frustrating.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
They were awesome about monitoring. I lived an hour away, so would have to drive down to be monitored. They were able to schedule around most convenient times for me, which happened to be right away at 7am. It was awesome. And they had people available on Saturday for appts if needed
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Our insurance covered most of the services (with the exception of the retrieval and transfer), so when we were quoted the first time out of pocket, we had to Shell out more money than the entire procedure cost. The second time, I made them factor in those costs and it was still roughly $1500 over what we ended up needing.
Describe Tiffany Von Wald's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Von Wald would always tell us they advise to transfer one to give us as many opportunities to have a success while also not producing multiples. We have opted to transfer two every time, and even after the birth of our child... We will transfer two again. She has said she agrees with our rationale. I would say that she definitely suggests the recommendation, but will adjust per situation.
Sioux Falls
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I love that she [Dr. Von Wald] is down to earth. She understands that this is difficult, time consuming and expensive. I also travel almost 3 hours one way for appointments and she was great about doing as many things at home or scheduling things for the same day when I was seeing her. You don't get to see her every time and I'm ok with that but I knew she looked at everything even when I didn't see her.... First we did 3 IUIs that resulted in 2 pregnancies
I love that she is down to earth. She understands that this is difficult, time consuming and expensive. I also travel almost 3 hours one way for appointments and she was great about doing as many things at home or scheduling things for the same day when I was seeing her. You don't get to see her every time and I'm ok with that but I knew she looked at everything even when I didn't see her.
Spend time with her, ask questions, let her know your concerns, ask every question you have, do you own research and go to her with everything
Human!!! Very caring. Greated by name at every visit. Great communication!!
First we did 3 IUIs that resulted in 2 pregnancies, 1st ivf cycle was a long lupron cycle, 2nd was a gentle cycle without lupron and my 3rd was more of a mini ivf cycle that we did oral meds with menopause. My last 2 cycles resulted in pregnancies. Unfortunately my 4 pregnancies ended in losses due to chromosome issues which we knew would be an issue because of my age/eggs
Very knowledgeable. I Always receive a call back or return message back within the hour. Love them all. Very caring and compassionate
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
They are Very easy to work with. They make it so easy to schedule appointments. By the 2nd visit I was greeted by my first name!! All the staff are great. They always keep you informed of delays in appointments if there are any but usually there are not. The waiting room is very nice.
In SD we do not have infertility coverage so the cost is significant. My insurance was billed for most of the initial testing but most is not covered. They have a billing expert right there in the office that will meet at anytime and he is great. They do not finance through the office but there are several different option for financing.
She is always willing to discuss this with me. With my IVF we did 2 3 day embryos because of my age but we discussed at length the risks and benefits of 1 vs 2
Sioux Falls
Having her [Dr. Tiffany Von Wald] as my doctor was a wonderful experience. She was very straightforward and kind. As stressful as all the doctor visits I had, and all of the injections, patches and pills, I never felt alone...I would recommend her in a heartbeat...My retrieval and first transfer went okay. I was on gonal-f, menopur, lupron at the beginning. I did have to increase my menopur once for the cycle. I took progesterone in oil shots after the transfer along with an estradiol patch. My second transfer was with progesterone in oil, and estrogen pills three times daily.
Having her as my doctor was a wonderful experience. She was very straightforward and kind. As stressful as all the doctor visits I had, and all of the injections, patches and pills, I never felt alone. I hope no-one I know will have to go through this hardship. But I would recommend her in a heartbeat.
Don't be scared. You may feel alone, but you're not. I was treated so greatly at sanford, I know you will be too!
Every doctor I had seen knew me by my face. They helped me understand everything that was going on, and they helped me when I found out the blood tests came back negative. I felt like family.
They were all great ladies. My very first meet with the nurses, one of them forgot that I was waiting for her to come back. I did understand that people get busy though. They all answered my questions I had over the phone or online. When my first results came back negative one nurse cried with me. I felt like I was family.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
I've gone to Sanford my whole life. I've never had any problems. The nurses and doctors are so thoughtful and kind. Even the receptionist knew me by name. I have seen both Dr. Von Wald and Dr. Hanson they are both amazing people and doctors. They will take the time to talk to you about anything you need.
Most of it was covered under my insurance, but I needed another shot of gonal-f and that was 300 out of pocket because I maxed my prescription cost from my insurance. My second transfer was about 100 dollars all together.
My doctor said for the first transfer, they'd strongly recommend one embryo. For the second transfer they were okay with 2 embryos because they had been frozen.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
It is very difficult to actually get Dr. Von Wald's advice or recommendation. The clinic's default is to have a CNP make treatment decisions. And I often felt as though my treatment plan was forgotten from one appointment to the next. However, I did appreciate a call on a Saturday from Dr. Von Wald changing the course of treatment from what the CNP had directed....I was happy with my meetings with Dr. Von Wald but recognized that she is extremely busy and that she probably wasn't as involved with my course of treatment as I would have liked.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
How was your experience with Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
I was happy with my meetings with Dr. Von Wald but recognized that she is extremely busy and that she probably wasn't as involved with my course of treatment as I would have liked. I chose her, not the NPs, but unfortunately I usually dealt with the NPs. She also had very little to offer me in the way of treatment and explanation of recurrent pregnancy loss. I don't think this is her specialty. Although she is busy, she never rushed me through my discussions with her and welcomed most of my questions. She was somewhat dismissive of a couple of concerns I had, such as about MTHFR. But ultimately she agreed to test me for it.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
Know that she is extremely smart and you can trust her, but that you may not be able to deal with her as often as you expect. And you will need to push back if you are doubting the advice you get from Angie or Shanna, and request that they confirm with Dr. Von Wald.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
It is very difficult to actually get Dr. Von Wald's advice or recommendation. The clinic's default is to have a CNP make treatment decisions. And I often felt as though my treatment plan was forgotten from one appointment to the next. However, I did appreciate a call on a Saturday from Dr. Von Wald changing the course of treatment from what the CNP had directed. She was only reviewing my plan because I had an appointment booked with her for the following week. So I learned that it was very important to be proactive and demand meetings with her.
Describe the protocols Tiffany Von Wald used in your cycles at Sanford Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
She prescribed Letrozole at the lowest dose for the first cycle without results. So in the second cycle she doubled the dose and added a trigger shot. This did not lead to pregnancy. In the third cycle, she took the same approach to the Letrozole but recommended an earlier ultrasound and subsequent trigger shot. This protocol resulted in pregnancy but ended shortly thereafter as a chemical pregnancy.
Sometimes I found the nursing staff to be uninformed and not instill very much confidence. At other times I found them helpful - but they are usually very responsive at least. I just had to push back to make sure they'd checked with Dr. Von Wald when they provided advice.
Describe your experience with Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is pushing through a lot of patients and this seems to lead to staff not really knowing your case very well from one appointment to the next.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
I paid for the medications, visits, and procedures and the clinic ran everything through insurance.
What specific things went wrong at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
Sanford Reproductive Medicine
Fargo
Doctor VonWald was always so caring and went over the entire process into detail with me. She answered any questions I had and made my feel at ease and give me hope. I wasn't just a number-I was a person that she truly cared about helping.... Dr. Von Wald helped make a very stressful situation better by communicating what was going on and what the plan of attack was. If something didn't go how originally planned, a new plan was set in place. I felt like I was in good hands that cared about our end goal-having a baby.
Anyone going through infertility, I always tell them that it is a rollercoaster ride of emotions and to always have a person to be able to vent to or get emotions off your chest with.
She watched closely over the dosage of shots to stimulate my ovaries. They took a while to respond, so dosages were increased and lots of ultrasounds were done to make sure I didn't overstimulate
They were so caring and helpful!
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
All the staff, especially front desk, were so caring and nice. They always were so helpful and returned your call if you ever had any questions. The clinic is clean and inviting. Parking is a little busy at times, but there is free valet parking offered.
The total amount for IVF was about $20,000
My embryos were in great quality and she recommended just transferring one embryo.
Sioux Falls
She [Dr. Von Wald] explained everything to us, our results, what was going to happen next. Asked us if we had questions. She answered our questions. She was a nice, kind doctor. She knew what she was talking about and doing....Her strengths were she explained everything in an a way we could understand. She knew the answers to ou r questions. She explained everything in detail. She answered all our questions. She didn't have any weaknesses.
She explained everything to us, our results, what was going to happen next. Asked us if we had questions. She answered our questions. She was a nice, kind doctor. She knew what she was talking about and doing.
Nursing staff was kind, informational, answered all our questions. The nursing staff knew what they were doing and talking about.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Clinic employee's were nice and accommodating. Made you feel welcomed. Were nice and greeted us when we walked into the clinic.We had a short wait time. Knew us by our names after awhile. Easy check in with them.
Normal price
Sioux Falls
[Dr. Von Wald] Very patient, explains things well. Gave us all options available, went over pros and cons of each. Gave her full recommendation as to what to try first and to do next. Ensures that we know all the steps that will be taken....Each cycle we would up the dosage depending on how last cycle went. She made sure I was feeling fine with the drugs.... Just know it’s going to be a bit of information overload.... Remembers life events
Just know it’s going to be a bit of information overload.
Remembers life events
All very kind and helpful.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Ease of making appointments. Pretty flexible with appointments. All people show great compassion. People start to get to know you by name. Get stopped in the hall for small chat. Everything is very thorough.
IUI-$2,000-2,500 each cycle, meds depending. IVF-$17,000-20,000, meds depending.
She suggests 1 is 2 depending on how many fertilized embryos we can get.