Good

Beth Israel Boston

Tiffany Von Wald works at

1500 W 22nd Street
Sioux Falls, SD 57105

Tiffany [Dr. Von Wald] is very smart, but doesn't break things down well for non medical people. She doesn't have the absolute warmest bedside manner. I struggled to feel as though she was as invested in my journey as I was. Though maybe not intentional I always felt like a number. My husband and I have seen Tiffany in clinic (over the year we have undergone treatment) twice (once because I semi demanded to)... it gets frustrating always seeing NPs and hearing back from nurses.
I had really horrible experinces with the US techs and a couple nurses [at Sanford Fertility]. One nurse in particular, Mandy, is so terrible. Through my miscarriages/ectopic she was very demeaning, cold and belittled my concerns. She treated me as if I was an annoyance. She didn't acknowledge my pregnancies as such because I was so early (4-5 wks). She never gave me time to ask questions on the phone. She would reply to my messages to Dr. VonWald without even consulting her. US techs are cold. They very casually tell me they see nothing in my uterus when I had be trialing for weeks with positive preg tests and fluctauing hcg levels... that is sensitive info to divulge so carelessly to which I sobbed with no compassion on their part.
How was your experience with Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Tiffany is very smart, but doesn't break things down well for non medical people. She doesn't have the absolute warmest bedside manner. I struggled to feel as though she was as invested in my journey as I was. Though maybe not intentional I always felt like a number. My husband and I have seen Tiffany in clinic (over the year we have undergone treatment) twice (once because I semi demanded to)... it gets frustrating always seeing NPs and hearing back from nurses.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Be a self advocate. Do not be afraid to ask questions/seek clarification (not matter how annoying you think you are being) and demand good service and communication.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Tiffany is smart and kind, but we have only met with her twice in tje year we have been there. The rest of the staff is very rude (Mandy, RN), cold and demeaning (with the exception of Shanna Kontz--she is great). I never felt like anyone does any extra digging to uncover my specific cycle trends, ovulation, hormone patterns, etc. I also feel as though I have to advocate for myself/husband a lot because they are terrible at keeping you updated and addressing questions.
Describe the protocols Tiffany Von Wald used in your cycles at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Clomid or letrazole day 3 through 7. Menopur day 9. US and trigger shot. IUI day after.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I had really horrible experinces with the US techs and a couple nurses. One nurse in particular, Mandy, is so terrible. Through my miscarriages/ectopic she was very demeaning, cold and belittled my concerns. She treated me as if I was an annoyance. She didn't acknowledge my pregnancies as such because I was so early (4-5 wks). She never gave me time to ask questions on the phone. She would reply to my messages to Dr. VonWald without even consulting her. US techs are cold. They very casually tell me they see nothing in my uterus when I had be trialing for weeks with positive preg tests and fluctauing hcg levels... that is sensitive info to divulge so carelessly to which I sobbed with no compassion on their part.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They are pretty flexible at getting you in for US and testing. They were not very timely with results, appt times, etc... Also, several times O was waiting on the waiting room there were children. I know it is maybe not realistic, but man would it be nice to not have to stare at a child when you are about to find out you miscarried.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Our insurance on covered some diagnostic testing. So all genetic testing, intra cycle ultrasounds, medication (oral and injectables), copays for each an every visit and all ART procedures were out of pocket. The have a finance guy, Tyler, who was EXTREMELY unhelpful. I am still not exactly sure what his job is as he didn't help us with understand our insirance coverage or working with our insurance.
What specific things went wrong at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Sioux Falls

It is very difficult to actually get Dr. Von Wald's advice or recommendation. The clinic's default is to have a CNP make treatment decisions. And I often felt as though my treatment plan was forgotten from one appointment to the next. However, I did appreciate a call on a Saturday from Dr. Von Wald changing the course of treatment from what the CNP had directed....I was happy with my meetings with Dr. Von Wald but recognized that she is extremely busy and that she probably wasn't as involved with my course of treatment as I would have liked.
Sometimes I found the nursing staff [at Sanford] to be uninformed and not instill very much confidence. At other times I found them helpful - but they are usually very responsive at least...The clinic is pushing through a lot of patients and this seems to lead to staff not really knowing your case very well from one appointment to the next...The clinic's default is to have a CNP make treatment decisions. And I often felt as though my treatment plan was forgotten from one appointment to the next.
I was happy with my meetings with Dr. Von Wald but recognized that she is extremely busy and that she probably wasn't as involved with my course of treatment as I would have liked. I chose her, not the NPs, but unfortunately I usually dealt with the NPs. She also had very little to offer me in the way of treatment and explanation of recurrent pregnancy loss. I don't think this is her specialty. Although she is busy, she never rushed me through my discussions with her and welcomed most of my questions. She was somewhat dismissive of a couple of concerns I had, such as about MTHFR. But ultimately she agreed to test me for it.
Know that she is extremely smart and you can trust her, but that you may not be able to deal with her as often as you expect. And you will need to push back if you are doubting the advice you get from Angie or Shanna, and request that they confirm with Dr. Von Wald.
It is very difficult to actually get Dr. Von Wald's advice or recommendation. The clinic's default is to have a CNP make treatment decisions. And I often felt as though my treatment plan was forgotten from one appointment to the next. However, I did appreciate a call on a Saturday from Dr. Von Wald changing the course of treatment from what the CNP had directed. She was only reviewing my plan because I had an appointment booked with her for the following week. So I learned that it was very important to be proactive and demand meetings with her.
She prescribed Letrozole at the lowest dose for the first cycle without results. So in the second cycle she doubled the dose and added a trigger shot. This did not lead to pregnancy. In the third cycle, she took the same approach to the Letrozole but recommended an earlier ultrasound and subsequent trigger shot. This protocol resulted in pregnancy but ended shortly thereafter as a chemical pregnancy.
Sometimes I found the nursing staff to be uninformed and not instill very much confidence. At other times I found them helpful - but they are usually very responsive at least. I just had to push back to make sure they'd checked with Dr. Von Wald when they provided advice.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I paid for the medications, visits, and procedures and the clinic ran everything through insurance.
What specific things went wrong at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I was scheduled for a uterine biopsy after my third pregnancy loss and was not given any of the standard advice about taking pain medication before the procedure. I was told by a friend that I should take it but it was too late so I called to ask why I wasn't given the information. I took the medication and moved my procedure back so it could take effect but the receptionist didn't understand why I would need to do that. I expected more awareness by the staff about the procedures they regularly offer.
Sioux Falls
Clomid was prescribed first [by Dr. Von Wald], with significant reduction in endometrial lining. My second cycle included 5 days of Letrozole and estradiol, with better lining and more mature follicles. My third cycle included 7 days of Letrozole and estradiol with the addition of Menopur for an IUI cycle...After the initial consultation, it felt like I was on a production line of fertility treatment. It took me asking a lot of questions and requesting more communication over the course of 3 months for the treatment and experience to feel personal to my body and needs.
The reception staff [at Sanford Reproductive Medicine] is usually great! The clinic has its own lab, which is very convenient and discreet in such a large hospital. Billing can be an issue with multiple insurances, so watch your statements closely to avoid overpaying...After the initial consultation, it felt like I was on a production line of fertility treatment. It took me asking a lot of questions and requesting more communication over the course of 3 months for the treatment and experience to feel personal to my body and needs...Clomid was prescribed first, with significant reduction in endometrial lining. My second cycle included 5 days of Letrozole and estradiol, with better lining and more mature follicles. My third cycle included 7 days of Letrozole and estradiol with the addition of Menopur for an IUI cycle. Progesterone was added following the insemination. My current cycle has included 5 days of Letrozole, 2 days of Menopur and estradiol with an IUI scheduled tomorrow.
How was your experience with Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Von Wald seems knowledgeable in her field but lacks warmth and individualized care. As a patient with elevated BMI, she suggested weight loss. I asked for specific behaviors related to diet and movement to help support my treatment and was met with a blank stare. It is clear that I am seen as a less than ideal patient for asking questions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
Expect clinical knowledge with an aloof delivery.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Tiffany Von Wald used in your cycles at Sanford Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
The reception staff is usually great! The clinic has its own lab, which is very convenient and discreet in such a large hospital. Billing can be an issue with multiple insurances, so watch your statements closely to avoid overpaying.
What specific things went wrong at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
Sanford Reproductive Medicine