Carolinas Fertility Institute

Doctor, Nurse available by emailNurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolWake Forest
ResidencyCarolinas Med Ctr
FellowshipU. of North Carolina
Charlotte
2614 E. 7th Street, Suite C
Charlotte, NC 28204
980.256.2233
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Tolga Mesen to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 80%Don't recommend: 20%8
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Carolinas Fertility Institute to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
Dr. Mesen is very detailed and treats each patient differently according to what their diagnosis is. He was very hands on during our treatments and made sure we understood what to expect. If there was a problem we were able to get answers in a quick and timely manner... We were able to transfer two embryos on our first transfer because we had a history of pregnancy loss. They do let most couples decide which they would like to transfer but it does depend on the history and diagnosis of the couple.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Expect to get started on treatment right away. At CFI they want to help you get pregnant so they will cover all bases before moving forward. They will do blood tests to rule out any issues and come up with an individualized plan to help you succeed. Dr. Mesen gives you direct and clinical answers in a way to help you understand possible reasons why you may be struggling with infertility.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
When we went for each appointment I always saw Dr. Mesen. He was the one who did my ultrasounds and at each appointment discussed our protocol and what I could expect in a very detailed way.
Describe the protocols Tolga Mesen used in your cycles at Carolinas Fertility Institute and their degree of success.
For our IVF cycle we had a specific plan that worked with my PCOS. We stimmed with Menopur and Gonal F for about 8 days before retrieval. We did do a freeze all because of my estrogen level and then the next month we transferred two embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
They have a specific IVF nurse at CFI that deals with all of the IVF patients at each location. She is the one that communicated with me the most through email. They also have a set nurse who takes your blood and does all the labs. They always responded in a timely manner and made sure you understood the results they were giving you.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
The Charlotte office of CFI is small and you are seen in a timely manner. The staff is friendly and accommodating. Everyone is knowledgable about Reproductive Endocrinology and very helpful. When you have questions they are quick to help you and get answers.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
We did mini IVF and it was around $6,500
Describe Tolga Mesen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Charlotte
Dr. Mesen is incredibly available, having given me his personal cell phone number and email. I was able to reach him nights and weekends, and he never failed to return a call. He is kind and patient, and he always explains the process and protocol.... IVF with long lupron protocol, with a fresh 5d transfer, for unexplained infertility. I responded well to the protocol. Fresh transfer resulted in a CP, so an FET was scheduled. Due to failure of the first transfer, he recommended transferring 2 embryos, but I wasn't ready yet, and we transferred just one. Upcoming FET will transfer 2 embryos. FETs are done with medicated prep (estrace and vivelle).
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
I can't say enough good things about Dr. Mesen. He is easy to reach, kind, patient, and ready to explain all the minute details. On the few occasions I had a misunderstanding with a nurse or other issue, he always fixed the problem personally. His work ethic is impeccable.
Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Maureen)
The staff is excellent, though on occasion, it would take a day or 2 longer than expected to hear back from the IVF coordinator. Generally, though, they were responsive and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Fertility Institute.
Small size, RE conducts all ultrasounds, very communicative, have to travel for ER and ET, no early morning hours, your surgical procedures may be conducted by Dr. Y.
$15,000 for IVF, which included ICSI, ER, all ultrasounds and monitoring, fresh transfer, freezing of all embryos for 1 year, unlimited FET of all embryos retrieved until viable pregnancy. If this does not result in a pregnancy, I will be refunded $12,000, which would pay for another IVF cycle.
We reviewed the statistics several times. He recommended a single transfer the first time due to my age, but 2 embryos for the 2nd transfer, though he allowed me to override that decision.
What specific things went wrong at Carolinas Fertility Institute?
Winston Salem
2012 - 2013
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
2012 - 2013
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Tolga Mesen at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Mesen used what he described as the "standard" treatment for my diagnosis. When it didn't work, and when I had concerns about the timing (which proved to be valid) he dismissed them and declared I was too fat to get pregnant and needed bariatric surgery. Not only did he defeat my dreams of childbearing, he put a substantial dent in my self-esteem.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tolga Mesen at UNC Fertility?
Listen to your gut when you know something doesn't feel right. Advocate for yourself no matter what.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tolga Mesen at UNC Fertility?
I only saw Dr. Mesen on my first and last visit to the clinic. He never called when I had a concern. I would only receive a brief email assuring me that I was getting the highest quality care. Furthermore, I never, ever saw the same doctor twice for monitoring or procedures.
Honestly, I never got to know the nurses over the curse of more than a year under the care of the clinic.
What specific things went wrong at UNC Fertility?
UNC Fertility