Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group

Medical SchoolWest Virginia U.
ResidencyU. of Louisville
FellowshipU. of Louisville
Asheville
123 Hendersonville Road
Asheville, SC 28803
(828)-210-8284
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Travis McCoy to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group to a friend?
We only met with Dr. McCoy once because we're just beginning infertility treatment. He identified and conducted a surgery that helped with our unique situation (my wife has two ovaries) and we'd have no complaints about the results.... Looking at all our factors, age, endometriosis, two ovaries, etc. Dr. McCoy looked at all options outside of IVF to give us a chance and was very helpful at giving us percentages. Based on our previous experiences, he made helpful recommendations and the pros and cons of whether to move forward with IVF or not. I appreciate his open mind.
How was your experience with Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
We only met with Dr. McCoy once because we're just beginning infertility treatment. He identified and conducted a surgery that helped with our unique situation (my wife has two ovaries) and we'd have no complaints about the results. However we're just about to begin IVF so not sure what the future holds for us!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Ask questions! Leave with a plan in place.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He took the time to document all the factors to our situation, things we can do to help those factors and how reasonable it was to do them. He answered all of my prying questions :)
Describe the protocols Travis McCoy used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
The system for billing as pre-payment and dealing with insurance has been a difficult process. One of our visits wasn't billed to insurance and we had to correct that.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I would recommend that you make sure you have already thought through your questions and have an idea of what you're wanting. It's good to have an open mind, but have a conversation about how far you're willing to go (IVF, egg donor, etc.) and have some questions written down so that you have a direction to take when meeting with the doctor.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Travis McCoy at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We've just begun the process. It does seem like the charges are high for some appointments, but obviously they factor in that insurance will reduce it.
Greenville
Dr McCoy was always personable and eager to answer all of our questions. He was super knowledgeable - especially about male fertility and sperm retrieval processes (which we had to utilize due to my husbands nerve damage). He was very caring and spoke to use using lay-terms, not medical terms we didn't understand.... Dr McCoy and his staff were very welcoming and understanding of our fertility situation. He gave us hope of having a family of our own. They took the time to learn about our history and what we wanted.
Don't be afraid to ask questions - this was all new to us and he was very patient with us and our million questions!
My husband had to have a sperm retrieval procedure. Then I was put on a series of hormone injections to produce a usable number of eggs (I have PCOS, so my number of eggs was never a problem). The eggs were removed and embryo's were developed. Due to my increased level of hormones still in my system, the viable embryos (3) were frozen until my next menstrual cycle. I was then implanted with the 2 most viable embryo's - both of which were successful! I successfully carried 2 girls until the week 20 - when I went into labor. Both girls were born vaginally, but neither survived.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: I can't remember - but she was amazing!)
The entire staff at PREG was amazing. They were all compassionate and understanding. When the egg monitoring ultrasounds were painful (I had an ovary that liked to hide) - the nurse held my hand. With all of the blood draws, the monitoring, the planning sessions - we were there a lot. And everyone knew our names and our situation.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The team is very knowledgeable and very, very compassionate. They take the time to know their patients and cultivate relationships. As your planning your family - they feel like an extension of your family.
Total cost was about $15,000 for sperm removal procedure, egg retrieval, embryo development and embryo transfer - and ALL medications for both me and my husband.
Describe Travis McCoy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We requested both viable embryo's be transferred due to our age - we wanted a better chance of implantation.
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
When we first started at PREG with Dr McCoy we left feeling very positive however every visit thereafter I feel like they were less than thrilled to see us, never remembered us by name and sometimes we had appointments two or three times a week. My medication pretty much remained the same every cycle with no success cycle after cycle, when asked about moving to the next step of IUI was told it was not much different than doing what we were already doing, but if we wanted we could give it a try. I had to ask for labs to be drawn for my AMH and FSH levels and base line labs. Unfortunately after 10 failed cycles and real no explanation as to why, we decided to seek treatment elsewhere.
Ask every question you can possibly think of, be an advocate of your infertility.
When we had our first meeting with Dr McCoy it was a positive experience however from there on out, he never remembered our situation or mine or my husbands names. He had to pull up and review our chart every time he saw us.
I was started on femara only then after a few cycles of no success the trigger shot ovidrel was added then after a few cycles of no success prednisone was added. Unfortunately none of my cycles ended with success. He diagnosed me with PCOS, tubal blockage and anoovulation. The femara was to due to anoovulation the prednisone was for the PCOS and the ovidrel was to make me ovulate.
Every time I was seen it was mostly by a different nurse or NP, they would ask the same questions multiple times during my appointments which made me question if they were even listening to what I was saying.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Scheduling is very easy and they work with you on appointment times. The billing office/financial office is very difficult to deal with and can get very rude when questioned as to why your bill is the amount it is. Holly at the Columbia office is very un compassionate and rude.
Follicle scan was $182 consultation was $150 all my medications were bought at my local pharmacy or through freedom fertility pharmacy
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Other
He [Dr. Travis McCoy] always takes time with me to explain things well and help me weigh my options !... He discovered something in my uterus and a hysteroscopy was performed in October to remove it. He also did blood work that very day to diagnose me with low ovarian function and Antiphospholipid syndrome which is a blood clotting disorder...After experiencing a fee more negatives he had my husband's sample tested. After it was discovered my husband was fine- he is advising me to have a consultation on IVF due to suspicion that I may have low egg quality due to my miscarriage history and the fact that while the medicine produces multiple follicles -i have still be unable to get pregnant. I still owe all the diagnosis that I have received to him.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Other
My doctor has been forthcoming with me about everything I am up against and has dotted every "I" and crossed every "t." So far I have had surgery under him, he has diagnosed me with several issues that allow him to know how to treat me, and he has explained very well my next steps that are leading me toward IVF.
He is a wonderful doctor!
He always takes time with me to explain things well and help me weigh my options !
Upon my first appointment in September of 2016, after having had a second miscarriage (and my regular OB didn't even check to make sure everything was cleared)...After just fifteen min of talking to me he knew something wasn't right and did a vaginal ultrasound that very day. He discovered something in my uterus and a hysteroscopy was performed in October to remove it. He also did blood work that very day to diagnose me with low ovarian function and Antiphospholipid syndrome which is a blood clotting disorder. Once I was cleared from my hysteroscopy...I started letrozol rounds in November . I did produce follicles ....But in January after two negative rounds he added injections of Ovedrel to my regimin. After experiencing a fee more negatives he had my husband's sample tested. After it was discovered my husband was fine- he is advising me to have a consultation on IVF due to suspicion that I may have low egg quality due to my miscarriage history and the fact that while the medicine produces multiple follicles -i have still be unable to get pregnant. I still owe all the diagnosis that I have received to him. My regular OB told me I was fine and that I would have to go through another miscarriage before they would even test me via bloodwork ! I am glad I know what I am up against now !!
I honestly haven't seen any weaknesses .They are kind , understanding , they always return my calls and stay on the phone with me until I understand fully.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This clinic is great about doing contests and offering discounts. The staff is always nice and knowledgeable.
I don't want to list costs ....But in my state infertility treatments (ivf, etc) are not covered by insurance. The best thing is that when I have an appointment I pay my co pay and that covers whatever my doctor does that visit whether it is an ultrasound or bloodwork. There are no extra fees and I like that . The office is great about doing discounts too
Asheville
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
He [Dr. Travis McCoy] was so caring but at the same time realistic. When he felt it was no longer a good option for our goal of becoming pregnant he would tell us. He would still give us the option to continue what we were doing or to move to the next step. I would never question if he was wanting us to change due to he could make more money.... e was was there a doctor,as well as, a support person. When I would leave crying after any further complications or bad news he was there to help me through what ever was going on at the time. When we decided it was time to step away from infertility treatments for a while he supported us and promised he would do anything to help us when we were ready to return. I would recommend him to anyone and have recommended him to many people since, who have all felt the same.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
I went to him because I had heard nothing but great reviews. I worked as a high risk obstetric nurse and my patients spoke the world of him. When my husband and I decided to see a fertility specialist I did not want to see anyone else. He was everything my patients told me about him and more. He was so caring but at the same time realistic. When he felt it was no longer a good option for our goal of becoming pregnant he would tell us. He would still give us the option to continue what we were doing or to move to the next step. I would never question if he was wanting us to change due to he could make more money. My heart knew he felt this was the best choices for us. He was was there a doctor,as well as, a support person. When I would leave crying after any further complications or bad news he was there to help me through what ever was going on at the time. When we decided it was time to step away from infertility treatments for a while he supported us and promised he would do anything to help us when we were ready to return. I would recommend him to anyone and have recommended him to many people since, who have all felt the same.
Be open to him and let him listen to your story.
He sat down with me and truly listened. He helped answer any questions we had, even they crazy you should know this one with no judgement. He was great at answering question with enough medical detail for me as a nurse, but able to explain perfectly to my husband with no medical background. He hugged us, did not pressure us and supported us through the process and all the tears along the way.
He started out with femara. The first few cycle days then I would come for ultrasounds to measure the number of follicles and sizes. At that point he would instruct me to admister a trigger shot and would instruct us to have timed intercourse every other day based on when the shot was given. I would take a pregnancy test at the time of my period and call back with results. We repeated this several month due to I had responded well to the femara. Later we did the same thing but instead of time intercourse we did IUI which followed the same procedure.
They were there for me to answer every crazy question I had. They always told me to never worry about any question that they are there to help me. They were my support when my husband could not be there. They helped cheer me up after crying. They made you feel positive about moving forward without giving false hope. They were everything I could have hope for in a nurse.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are very patient centered which is one of their biggest strengths. They are very helpful and helped accommodate my crazy schedule. It did take a little bit to get my new patient appointment but never had any further issues getting an appointment when I needed it during my busy schedule. Their one weakness is that the doctors work in multiple offices and only work at the Columbia clinic certain days a week. This meant sometimes when I went to see the nurse he was not at that office to look at my results personally. He would either be called or another doctor would step in. However, I felt comfortable with the office and this was not a big issue but is a weakness.
I had insurance that had fertility coverage. I do not remember the exact costs with or without my insurance. It was very reasonable with my insurance.
We did not experience this due to we did not have IVF.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. McCoy was very caring and made sure all my questions were answered. When I had a setback he was responsive and did not dismiss as if I did not know my body. The pain I had prior to surgery has decreased due to surgery and pelvic floor therapy.... Dr. M was honest and upfront. He did not make promises about our ability to become or maintain a pregnancy. However, he did improve my overall quality of life by addressing the health of my uterus. He answered all my questions and did not make me feel like I was bothering him.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Go with your questions ready. Dr. McCoy did not make me feel rush and he listened to my symptoms. He explained that the pain I was having was not normal and should not have been ignored
Dr. MCCoy’s focus was to make sure my uterus was healthy and ready to become pregnant if that was Gods plan. He removed endometriosis and fibroids that were causing me extreme pain and the focus was to improve my quality of life.
The nursing staff returned phone called within timely fashion and answered questions to the best of their ability. During the exams they were friendly and engaging.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic staff are friendly and engaging. They were helpful and sought answers effectively. The space itself was neat and comfortable. Also, the waiting room was quiet. However, bring your sweater.. it can be a littl chilly.
The cost was reasonable.
Columbia
Dr McCoy was very honest about the chances of success. He was always optimistic, however slim the chances were. I was always treated with respect. He seemed to genuinely care about our success and was willing to work with us to accomplish our goals... The initial protocol we used was not successful and he made drastic changes to improve our odds with the next cycle. He seemed very knowledgeable about the various protocols and when the first one did not work, he suggested a different one that worked a lot better and his reasoning was sound.
Dr McCoy will go over all the options with you if you just ask!
Dr. McCoy went the extra mile to explain everything and address all my concerns throughout the whole process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
Stephanie was very knowledgeable and worked extensively to coordinate with our insurance to make sure we got all medications needed and on time. She worked after-hours and had the unpleasant task of delivering bad news to us, which she did with compassion and timeliness.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The secretary at the Greenville office was rude and I dreaded every interaction with her. All other staff was exceptional and knowledgeable and taught me so much. I never had to wait and everyone is pleasant
Our insurance had a generous infertility benefit so I do not remember all the costs associated but I remember estimates were in the $25k range
Dr McCoy recommended we transfer the “best looking” embryos based on their grade. We agreed early on on a maximum amount per transfer.
Spartanburg
I have only met with Dr. McCoy once during my many visits per month but I definitely trust him and he seems very knowledgeable and trustworthy. After over a year of trying different l, low dosages of clomid and letrizole with my OBGYN, I felt more hope talking with Dr. McCoy in one visit. 4 cycles later, I have another meeting with him next week to talk about my next steps...We started with 7 days of Letrozole and Prednisone and switched it to 10 days because the follicles weren’t quite where they wanted them yet.
Just make sure to bring a list of questions, he is happy to answer.
Dr. McCoy was very personable.
We started with 7 days of Letrozole and Prednisone and switched it to 10 days because the follicles weren’t quite where they wanted them yet. On cycle 3, I had three large follicles but still didn’t get pregnant. On 4 now but only had one follicle.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Overall I think it is a great clinic! I wish I didn’t have to come back so many times for the ultra sounds and blood work but understand it is part of the process and they have to be done on different days. Since that’s not their fault, they are great!
With BCBS insurance about a $70 co pay for every visit, which in 4 months has been 11 visits.
Greenville
Dr. McCoy made us feel 100% better about continuing on with our treatments. He explained and gave us answers that we was wanting for years. We should have went to see him sooner. I feel that PREG will be our answer to our prayer and we will finally get pregnant from their treatments.... Dr. McCoy sat down and talked to us for almost two hours and gave us answers we have been longing for-for over five years.
He explains everything and is very understanding.
Dr. McCoy sat down and talked to us for almost two hours and gave us answers we have been longing for-for over five years. We go back in May and I can't wait to finish this journey
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Mikayla Carver)
The nursing staff was so nice when we went in and they return phone calls and emails immediately.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We have followed this clinic on facebook for over four years and I finally broke down and called them. We didn't have to wait long at all for a appointment. They are very successful at what they do and I can't wait until we get our miracle baby. Their office is so inviting with all the baby pictures on the wall.
Our insurance don't pay for fertility treatments but it wasn't that expensive to see him!
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr. McCoy is great but only saw him twice throughout the whole entire process. Another "new" doctor did all of my ultrasounds, retrevial, and transfer.... Covered all possible scenarios with what the possibilities could be and explained what was going on with our bodies. Told us that we would have to do specific treatment as the others just would not work. Then when treatment failed came up with a new plan for next cycle.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Chose hum, he is very experienced.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Emily)
Nursing staff expect you to know what happens next and that it is all normal and not an emotional process. Compassion is lacking in quite a few employees.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Clinics strengths are that it has good doctor's to choose from. Weakness is that many of the staff lack compassion. Make sure to ask what is next. They will expect you to know what comes next. Ask questions
Columbia
Dr McCoy was Very informative and patient. He explained the process thoroughly and answered every questioned we had. We even talked about other options which he gave our honest opinion about. Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group is a great practice.... I was scheduled and ultrasound to which they added blood work without me knowing before hand. Since none of it was covered I was left with a $400 bill that I wasn’t expecting. Dr McCoy didn’t explain al the “pre ivf” procedures that has cost me over $1000 dollars
Be patient
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are very knowledgeable personable friendly and compassionate. I’ve always been greeted with a smile. I haven’t been theough the actual ivf process yet but I’m in the beginning stages of blood work ultrasounds etc. I was scheduled and ultrasound to which they added blood work without me knowing before hand. Since none of it was covered I was left with a $400 bill that I wasn’t expecting. Dr McCoy didn’t explain al the “pre ivf” procedures that has cost me over $1000 dollars
$10500 ivf
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr. McCoy was incredible. He was gentle and kind. He took time to make sure that we understood everything. He gave me all available options and advised on the best course of action. He took time to go over all of my concerns and reassure me.... Dr. McCoy and his staff were very attentive to everything and every question we had. They responded promptly via phone or email anytime I called.
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
To trust him implicitly.
I didn’t see any weaknesses. I enjoyed the lab staff the most as they were informative and kind.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
It’s lovely. It’s clean, cozy, and quick. We had to come in for some labs and live out of town. They were able to schedule us for the same time and day so that we could make one trip. We also took our 12 year old with us and they were very welcoming of him.
As with any fertility clinic, it is pricey but very competitive and they do have many options to help you.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
He [Dr. Travis McCoy] did a great job at explaining that we couldn’t figure out why I had unexplained Fertilty and that IVF was best options. He also tested me for endometriosis and found I had indeed has a slight case of it.... First couple cycle we did clomid and we even tried a different on. We did shots in the belly and all were accompanied by iui... He really took the time to explain things to me and my husband.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
He did a great job at explaining that we couldn’t figure out why I had unexplained Fertilty and that IVF was best options. He also tested me for endometriosis and found I had indeed has a slight case of it.
Be brave! Be patient! Be kind it is not the doctors or the nurses fault and they usually hurt just as much as we do.
He really took the time to explain things to me and my husband.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Tori )
She was truly the best. I know when we are going through these emotions it is hard and she always was a beautiful smiling face.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I believe that weakness probably has nothing to do with clinic but I wish insurance covered these options for those of us so desperately wanting a child. Maybe have better options with payments or better prices.
Lots!! Ultrasounds, blood work, seman wash medicine needed to provide more eggs, hormone shots to make you ovulate