Medical SchoolLoyola U.
FellowshipU. of North Carolina
19296 Stone Oak Pkwy
San Antonio, TX 78258
210.337.845
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Ursula Balthazar to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend RMA of Texas to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Balthazar is friendly and kind. You can tell that she really does want to help you grow your family.... When we came to Dr. Balthazar we had recently had our second miscarriage with no live births. After testing she found I had MTHFR gene mutation, and a high egg count. She addresses the MTHFR with a prescribed prenatal with folate and a baby aspirin a day. She choose a timed intercourse cycle with Clomid
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Ursula Balthazar at RMA of Texas?
Dr. Balthazar is friendly and kind. You can tell that she really does want to help you grow your family. She does give you all the options and she is honest with you about your chances with each of them. She is smart and experienced, so she’s seen a lot of cases and knows what to do with each of them. She is compassionate as well. When I had my third loss she let my husband and I sit in her office and cry and ask all the questions we had. She never rushed us out or said she needed to go. She just listened and answered. She just makes you feel like you’ve got the champ in your corner that you need in a time like this.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ursula Balthazar at RMA of Texas?
To ask anything you want to know. Don’t walk away wishing you had asked one more thing. And know that she will be honest with her answers.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ursula Balthazar at RMA of Texas?
She always knew everything going on with me. I never had to re-explain my situation or my history as I had with my OB. She always took as much time as I needed to answer my questions and explain everything in depth to me. I never felt like she was rushing to get me to leave. You can tell she cares about you as an individual.
Describe the protocols Ursula Balthazar used in your cycles at RMA of Texas and their degree of success.
When we came to Dr. Balthazar we had recently had our second miscarriage with no live births. After testing she found I had MTHFR gene mutation, and a high egg count. She addresses the MTHFR with a prescribed prenatal with folate and a baby aspirin a day. She choose a timed intercourse cycle with Clomid (25mg the first round and 50mg the second) with an Ovidrel trigger shot each time. She said because of my high egg count the signal from my brain to my eggs may be causing my eggs to go too soon or too late causing them to not be timed correctly and thus the miscarriages. With Clomid we could help one to mature at the correct pace and the trigger shot would tell that egg exactly when to go and that would help address that issue. The first month with this cycle we received a negative pregnancy test. The second cycle we received a positive pregnancy test but my HCG didn’t rise as needed and we lost the pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Texas. (Assigned nurse: Amy Altamirano)
The entire staff is very patient and kind. From the intake staff to the billing. Everyone explains everything fully and takes the time to make sure you understand it all. My specific nurse is new to me as we won’t start our IVF until May but from what I’ve asked so far she has been very ready and willing to talk with me and answer my questions. I’m looking forward to having her through this cycle.
Describe your experience with RMA of Texas.
I think my clinic does a great job of making you feel valued. I never feel like a number when I'm there. They call me by my name and they give all the time I need to have my questions answered. They are all very patient and kind. They never make me feel like I'm asking a dumb question or too many questions. They know my history and I don't have to remind them at any point. Their one weakness in my opinion is that they do not let you know if you will be seeing another doctor that isn't your doctor. They assumed I knew it was my doctor's day off (had go in for a scan during a timed intercourse cycle), and I didn't know I wasn't seeing my doctor until the other doctor walked into my room to do the scan.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ursula Balthazar at RMA of Texas.
I completed all of my fertility testing at this office, which estimated $2000 out of pocket. I also completed two timed intercourse cycles which totaled about $1300 with medications. I have IVF with PGS & an FET scheduled for this summer which will be approximately $26,000 total, with no insurance coverage.
San Antonio - Med Drive
Dr. Balthazar takes her time with us. She listens and answers all questions. She is warm and humorous and definitely puts thought into her patients’ care even when they are not directly in front of her.... She explained the protocol she game me and why she selected it based on my diagnosis of DOR. I responded poorly to the first cycle and was oversupressed. The second cycle, I had cysts and was still suppressed from the birth control . Third cycle, everything cleared up and we are attempting an egg retrieval.
How was your experience with Ursula Balthazar at RMA of Texas?
Again- Dr. B is warm, humorous, upbeat and able to answer all questions. She explained the protocol she game me and why she selected it based on my diagnosis of DOR. I responded poorly to the first cycle and was oversupressed. The second cycle, I had cysts and was still suppressed from the birth control . Third cycle, everything cleared up and we are attempting an egg retrieval.
Go in with a list of questions. She loves it!
Cycle 1 Estrogen priming 10-12 days 2 weeks BCP Stims: 75 Menopur 150 follistim Letrozole 2.5 Dexamethason Micro dose Lupron 10 units 2/day Omnitrope Pregnyll Cycle 2 - cancelled Cycle 3 - same stims but no estrogen priming or BCP
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Texas. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Amy is very communicative WHEN it is important and/or when she is at the office. Sometimes I would wonder if she got my email but now she acknowledges them and let’s me know that she is not in the office . She sometimes says that she will send in a ( non urgent) script right away, but that doesn’t happen as soon as she made it sound . Over all she is a million times more helpful than the nursing staff at our last clinic.
Describe your experience with RMA of Texas.
Strengths: Schedulers and billing staff are communicative, timely, and so nice. Good hours for working people Weaknesses: Sometimes it hard to get a scheduler on the phone for that initial consult- I played phone tag . But if you leave a message they return it. Once you are an established patient it is much easier.
IVF with ICSI, hatching and PGS $19,000
Describe Ursula Balthazar's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Texas.
We have not really discussed this yet- decided to discuss when we see what grade of embryos we are working with.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
She [Dr. Balthazar] failed to inform me of key information through out my experience. She was abrupt and cut me and my husband off multiple times when we were in the process of asking questions or explaining something. She failed to inform me of my carrier status of a genetic disorder... The treatment she utilized was oral FSH stimulation through the use of Clomiphene, 100mg daily for 5 days, starting on day 5 of the cycle. Her staff did not start me until day 6 of the cycle though.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
How was your experience with Ursula Balthazar at RMA of Texas?
She failed to inform me of key information through out my experience. She was abrupt and cut me and my husband off multiple times when we were in the process of asking questions or explaining something. She failed to inform me of my carrier status of a genetic disorder and I believe she did no mention it because she didn't want to have an extensive conversation about the results. She never asked to test my husband, she never brought it up once. I discovered the medical error of omission upon receiving a copy of my laboratory results from the staff.
Take your time. Explain everything. Go through all the options for that particular person. It would have been nice if you would have told me what the reasons are for having a low AMH. And you mentioned that my egg reserve, although low, was still 'good' because I am only 34 yo. That is not entirely the truth, is it? Because there are conditions where the egg quality can reflect the egg reserve. This was never explained to me, therefore I had to go and spend more money on someone else who would.
THEY FAILED TO INFORM ME I WAS A CARRIER FOR A GENETIC DISORDER. The quality of staff reflects the standards of the doctors running the facility. That’s where their problems begin. I felt very rushed through the entire process, like everyone else knew what was going on, but since this was my first time discovering that my husband and I had fertility issues, no one really took the time to really explain the process at each visit. On several visits my husband or I were cut off by Dr. B when we were asking questions or explaining something. By the time we actually got to performing the IUI, I had already had an uncomfortable feeling, but since I had nothing to compare it to, I tried to push it out of my mind. On the day of my IUI, as you can imagine, I was very nervous. The procedure went well enough, and the MA told me to lay there for 10 minutes to allow the sperm to enter the fallopian tubes. I tried to cover my eyes and I didn’t pay attention to the time because she put an alarm and it would let me know when to get up. I heard the beep and I thought it was early, but I got up and started getting dressed. I was almost finished when I heard another beep and looked at the wall, it flashed 3 minutes and was counting backwards! Apparently, it had a warning bell at 5 min and 7 min. I got scared and went back to lay down on the table, then the 10 min alarm sounded off, and I finally got up. I wish someone had informed me about this, but as with the rest of my experience it had been rushed and there was little attention to detail. I left the room and went to check-out, everything had already been paid for, but I wanted to get a copy of all my lab work to show my PCP. I took the copy and went to my car and looked it over quickly. Right on the first page, there it was, “Carrier For Cystic Fibrosis and CFTR-Related Disorders.” I got a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. I was in my car, so I called the office right away on my way home. Perhaps I was misreading the results. I was transferred to the nurse, but she didn’t answer and so I left a message at around 10 in the morning. I finally got home and I emailed a few people in the office to see if any of them would respond. Dr. B didn’t call me back until after 1 pm. Over 3 hours of hell. I was a wreck. Why had no one told me about my carrier status, why had my husband not been asked to get tested as well?? Why did I have to find out about this on the DAY OF MY IUI. The risk of both of us being carriers was very very low, but the risk was still there. I felt like it was going to be a failed attempt due to all the stress right away, and it eventually was. All Dr. B could say was she was sorry and that the Genetic Counselor was supposed to call me 3 months ago when they had the results. Apparently, they tried to call “me” 3 times, but that was incorrect. They had my husband’s phone number because he was the first one to have an appointment at the office. My husband did receive a call and he told me about it, but we had an appointment with the doctor in a few days, so I didn’t think much of it. Dr. B would tell me about whatever they were calling about. WRONG. Why did she tell me about my low Vit D and not the carrier status? All I can think of was she didn’t want to spend the time talking about it because it would have been an extensive conversation. She had treated me nicely through the process, but was not thorough, and that’s what you’re getting with this facility. There were several instances where I felt like I was just being pushed through the system. From the gaps of information and lack of attention to detail. My IUI was not successful and as we all know, stress is a huge factor. They CREATED the stress I endured after the procedure. I refused to go back to get my blood test because I got my period. It was a very painful situation to go through, and I truly believe that I’m not the only one that his happens to, I was just unfortunate to find out. I had my first meeting today with my new fertility specialist, and she had informed me that starting the clomiphene on day 6 really didn’t do anything to improve my chances. So, when I asked the MA to inform me about the repercussions, and her stating that ‘it’s fine’ was very misleading. I did ask for my money back because I felt like it was all a waste. Of course, they only gave me back the 160 dollars for the blood test and nothing else. This place would probably be an acceptable place to go if you have experience with infertility or have already been through the process. If you’re new to it though, you will leave with many gaps in knowledge. I would never go back, nor would I recommend this facility to anyone.
She never mentioned a particular protocol. The treatment she utilized was oral FSH stimulation through the use of Clomiphene, 100mg daily for 5 days, starting on day 5 of the cycle. Her staff did not start me until day 6 of the cycle though. Three ultrasounds, beginning, middle, after IUI. IUI with frozen sperm after Ovidrel injection.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Texas. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Ayala)
She was very short with me and did not give me the full information about procedures. I feel that her attitude and attention to detail is reflected by the standard the Dr. Balthazar sets. She had me starting clomiphene on the wrong day and brushed it off without providing sufficient detail about what the repercussions were. Her only answer to my question was "It's fine."
Describe your experience with RMA of Texas.
Some of the staff are very friendly. Amanda C. is very nice and understanding. So is Brianna. The rest of the staff mainly treats you as a number. They perform these tasks on a daily basis and have gone through them thousands of times. It was my FIRST time, and no one took the time to be patient or inform me of all the steps in the process. I was very disappointed and feel cheated.
$1200 for the IUI without the cost of medication or frozen sperm.
I have none.
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm, Surrogacy
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Dr [Balthazar] was always very enthusiastic when she spoke to us. She was always positive but never gave us false hope. She always explained every step of the process. She always made me feel like she knew me personally and was hoping for the best for us. Very friendly....I’m in a same sex relationship. Our choice was for me to carry using my wife’s embryos. We used donor sperm....
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm, Surrogacy
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Ursula Balthazar at RMA of Texas?
Dr was always very enthusiastic when she spoke to us. She was always positive but never gave us false hope. She always explained every step of the process. She always made me feel like she knew me personally and was hoping for the best for us. Very friendly. Best dr I’ve ever encountered.
Trust in the process and the doctors orders. She will do what’s best and not any less. Asking questions is ok. She will will be honest.
Going to this clinic they always knew our story and were always on top of where we were in the process. They are honest and made us feel like they want the best for us. Always felt comfortable.
I’m in a same sex relationship. Our choice was for me to carry using my wife’s embryos. We used donor sperm. My wife had a fibroid that had to be removed first in March 2017. The fibroid was blocking one of her ovaries. Once removed the ovary was visible and not so high up. She started estradiol and CoQ10 to help her egg quality since her AMH was low; that was started in June. Dr said the CoQ10 would help with egg quality and the longer she was on it the better. She then started birth control to control her cycle in July. Fertility meds started in August were Lupron, Follistim and Menopur. That was for about 11 days before egg retrieval. We retrieved 3 mature eggs and only one made it to day five for freezing. I started birth control in September and Lupron injections. I started Estrace in October and my baseline showed that my lining was too thick I believe it was at a 18-19. So we canceled the protocol. I restarted birth control in Nov this time without the Lupron. I did start the Estrace again and continued with progesterone injections, Endometrin doxycycline and Medrol. However in the beginning of Nov I went in to have a hysteroscopy with Dr Balthazar since my lining was so thick and I have heavy cycles. She removed polyps that lined my uterus. Having this done my lining looked a lot better. However the day of the transfer it was still very thick at about 17 or around there. Dr Balthazar advised since we’ve done everything we could do we would move forward with the transfer. Transfer day was Dec 4th and I tested negative Dec 14th. We have a follow up next week.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Texas. (Assigned nurse: Rebecca, Inthira and Amy)
One thing I greatly appreciated was response time. They always promptly returned emails or phone calls. They always knew what was next and even helped me obtain medication I was not prepared to pay for. Great staff!
Describe your experience with RMA of Texas.
Strengths-friendly organized clean warm inviting. The only thing I can say was in the beginning they did not explain much to us and we would leave wondering what was next. I understand it’s a process but maybe they should somehow explain that everything will be done in steps and explained as we go. Otherwise I love this clinic, staff and drs. I never felt uncomfortable here and I loved the whole experience.
The reciprocal ivf cycle cost was $15,950. Mental health counseling was about $150. Medications costs about $7,000.
If we would have had more than one embryo to transfer we would have chosen two.
How was your experience with Ursula Balthazar at RMA of Texas?
We initially worked with Dr. Arredondo at RMA-Stone Oak, but had interactions with Dr. Balthazar during some of our visits. After a few procedures with Dr. Arredondo, I asked to be switched to Dr. Balthazar as our main doctor to interact with because she had a much more friendly and positive bedside manner. All the doctors at the RMA clinic discuss all of their cases, so it was our preference to interact with Dr. Balthazar more than other doctors there. Dr. Balthazar brings a lot of energy to your case. While being realistic with outcomes (she doesn't promise it will work), she is very upbeat and a huge cheerleader for you. She'll let you know if something doesn't look right and explains why she is suggesting a certain protocol. She will know you and your partner by name and does a great job communicating in person and over email.
Some people may find Dr. Balthazar's energy overwhelming. She can be loud. However, she is extremely knowledgeable and friendly and will be a champion for you. I highly recommend her.
Dr. Balthazar is a very warm, friendly and enthusiastic doctor. She will call you and your partner by name - and actually knows it, not just from a chart. She knew our case well, indicated that she thought about our case often, and even walked us through her thought process for each procedure. She has a warm, energetic and upbeat bedside manner and is willing to answer any question you have of her. She is also very good at responding to emails.
We went through three rounds of frozen embryo transfer. I do remember that after our first unsuccessful round, my husband and I saw a news report on ERA testing, which determines an individual's implantation window. We brought it up with Dr. Balthazar at the time and we discussed it. It was a very new test at the time. After discussing it, however, it was determined to not do ERA testing because the protocol recommended was different than the first round. After our failed second frozen embryo transfer, it was decided we should go through the ERA testing. We did the ERA test and it turns out my implantation window was different than when we had been transferring in the past. The third frozen embryo attempt failed as well, so I don't know if the ERA test would have worked in round 2 or not. However, I know that ERA testing is being used quite a bit now at RMA. My understanding is that doctors don't want patients to go through every single test out there because a lot of the tests may not be needed. Doctors seem to have a process in place for most cases: Try protocol 1 and that works on x% of people. If it doesn't work for you, try protocol 2 and that works for another x% of people. If that doesn't work, try the next protocol...and so on. This is just my observation and from talking to other women going through infertility treatments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Texas. (Assigned nurse: Erica)
I think Erica generally supports Dr. Arredondo, but she continued to support us when we switched to Dr. Balthazar. Erica was a good communicator and answered our questions during our first procedure. Her communication, management and follow through of our case and protocols steadily declined with each procedure. By the end, I felt like I was managing my own case. Guess she assumed we knew what we were doing, which should never be the case. The fact that we were working with Dr. Balthazar may have also been an issue.
Describe your experience with RMA of Texas.
In my opinion, RMA at Stone Oak is the best fertility clinic in San Antonio, based on my experience and talking with other women about their experiences. They are very organized, well-educated, and run a successful clinic. They will be able to answer your questions and give you an honest assessment of potential issues and solutions. With that said, I feel like lately they are very focused on increasing their volume of patients. They have started running advertisements on television for their clinic and promoting INVOcell. The positive in this is that INVOcell is less expensive and less invasive than other forms of IVF so if you are a candidate, that is great news. But again, it feels like it's becoming more of a competition for largest volume of patients at the clinic.
I went through a lot of procedures with RMA. With each new procedure there was a "discount" that was applied. Once or twice, when I ran out of medication and needed a very small amount to finish my protocol, they were able to provide me with the medication.
RMA promotes a single birth as the best possible outcome. They will show you statistics of issues with mom and baby for multiple births. However, at the end of the day, they say that they act as a coach and you as the patient have the final say in how many embryos are transferred. But, I think they limit it to 2 embryos transferred at one time.
San Antonio - Stone Oak
I can't say enough good things. She [Dr. Balthazar] was so positive & upbeat. After 2 failed cycles at another clinic in NYC, with no resulting viable eggs and several consultations with other doctors, I had very lottle hope left. Dr. Balthazar believed from the beginning that we could get blasts, even after seeing my previous results. She said there was no reason to believe otherwise & she was right! I got the most eggs I had ever gotten (4- which was great for my diagnosis). She wasn't focused on how few follicles I had, unlike the other doctors. She was focused on the quality of the 4 I had. And we got all 4 & all 4 were mature & all 4 fertilized.
European, Ashkenazi Jewish, Latino, Native American
How was your experience with Ursula Balthazar at RMA of Texas?
I can't say enough good things. She was so positive & upbeat. After 2 failed cycles at another clinic in NYC, with no resulting viable eggs and several consultations with other doctors, I had very lottle hope left. Dr. Balthazar believed from the beginning that we could get blasts, even after seeing my previous results. She said there was no reason to believe otherwise & she was right! I got the most eggs I had ever gotten (4- which was great for my diagnosis). She wasn't focused on how few follicles I had, unlike the other doctors. She was focused on the quality of the 4 I had. And we got all 4 & all 4 were mature & all 4 fertilized. Every step of the way was an amazing accomplishment. She was always smiling & saying we were going to succeed. No other doctors that I saw were so positive and nice.
To not waste time with anyone else and go straight to her!
I received the best treatment from Dr. Balthazar out of all the doctors I actually saw and all the others I spoke to on the phone. She was the only woman, I don't know if that had anything to do with it. She was more positive & upbeat than any other doctor, by far!
I don't know the name of the protocol, but it is their diminished ovarian reserve protocol. I think I started with estrogen priming, I know I used birth control after that. I then used Menopur, Follistim and Lupron. Growth Hormone was added later. It was a long protocol, and it worked!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Texas. (Assigned nurse: Amy Altimaro)
Amy was pretty good. When she wasn't out of the office, she got back to me right away and answered the majority of my questions.
Describe your experience with RMA of Texas.
They are very friendly and welcoming and warm. The nurses remember you and ask how you are, even if you are like me, not a very outgoing friendly person.
It was a little over $13,000 for the entire cycle, including anesthesia, ICSI, retrieval, transfer and a follow up ultrasound or two. Then they started billing insurance for follow ups and I paid my co-pay.
How was your experience with Ursula Balthazar at RMA of Texas?
Dr. Balthazar is an amazing RE. She has a wonderful bedside manner, prestigious professional input in all protocols, quick to answer any questions or concerns, open to patients desires, and she always puts you as her number one priority. Dr. Balthazar always makes me feel like I am more to her than a patient. She is always so open to understanding your life outside of reproductive medicine. My husband is a frequent international traveler throughout the year, and she always makes sure to find ways to include him in scans, meetings, or appointments. She is always concerned of how I am handling things without him here, especially after the cornual pregnancy and each of our failed FET'S. Dr. Balthazar has become so much more to me than just my RE, she has grown to hold such a special place in my heart. I trust her and know without a doubt she will help get us to where we need to be to get that BFP!!
The one piece of advice I would give to any future fertility patient (regardless of the doctor) is to go in with questions. Do not rely on Google to answer them.
My husband & I have been trying to conceive for a total of about 5 years, and the road to starting that family has not been easy. Dr. Balthazar from the start was an extraordinary RE. Our first fresh IVF round took and we were pregnant! Unfortunately at my 8 week sonogram Dr. Balthazar had concerns of our pregnancy being a cornual ectopic. Dr. Balthazar went above and beyond to find the top specialists in San Antonio to give their expertise opinions. When each of them concluded her worst fears, Dr. Balthazar set me up with a world renown surgeon to preform a laparoscopic robotic surgery to remove our pregnancy. Dr. Balthazar was beside me every step of the way. Dr. Balthazar visited me in my room prior to my procedure, explained what was going to happen and why. Dr. Balthazar sat in the surgical room with me, and promised they me they wouldn't take the one thing we had prayed so hard for, without being 100% sure that scans were accurate and termination was in fact the right course of action. After the procedure Dr. Balthazar went with the surgeon to talk to my family and explain how the procedure went. After the procedure she followed up with me extremely closely and showed genuine concern for me as not only as a human being, but as a woman. Upon my first set of testings after the removal of our cornual pregnancy, Dr. Balthazar showed as much as enthusiasm as we had to try to get us that BFP! And after both our FET'S ended in negative betas, & our final embryo was used Dr. Balthazar gave me her sincerest of pep talks. Dr. Balthazar is an extraordinary RE, whom saved my life and has given me a fighting chance at motherhood. There are no words that will ever be able to describe my gratitude for Dr. Balthazar and her staff, I have always felt like my husband and I are their number one priority.
For my fresh cycle Dr. Balthazar placed me on Lupron, Follistim , Menopur, and PIO (I can't remember if I was on Esterase or not). Baseline scans showed 12 follicles. My IVF cycle resulted in 12 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 11 fertilized, 9 made it to day 3, and 3 made it to day 5 expanding BB blastocysts. For my FET 1 I was on Lupron, Esterase, Doxycycline, Medrol, and PIO. For FET2 I was on Esterase, Doxycycline, Medrol, and PIO. Due to my husbands international travel we used a frozen sample from him. Throughout it all I have taken 2000IU of Vitamin D3 and a prenatal. Prior to egg retrieval I was placed on CoQ10 600mg.
Amy is an amazing nurse & fertility coach. If I ever have any questions or concerns, Amy is more than willing to help in any way that she can. Amy is an excellent nurse with outstanding bedside manner and excellent patient care.
Describe your experience with RMA of Texas.
Everyone at RMA is extremely kind and caring. Employers always ensure that you have the absolute best care. The facility is extremely clean and is in the best of condition! RMA has a comfort feel that isn't found elsewhere. RMA sets the bar for excellent fertility care.
Roughly $30,000 for everything. Insurance did not cover any testings, cycle or prescriptions.
San Antonio - Stone Oak
She [Dr Balthazar] also will express her concerns openly, but in a gentle and caring manner. For us, her concern was the possibility of having multiples. She did everything in her power to make sure we were able to get pregnant with the singleton that we so wanted....Since I have PCOS, Dr. Balthazar had to find a way to make me ovulate. She took a look at my ovaries via an internal sonogram and showed my husband and I my "classic" case of PCOS. Since I am still young, she didn't feel like Clomid would be effective. The side effects can be harsch and she didn't think it would be worth it. After having my Hysterosalpingogram to see that my fallopian tubes were open and functioning (as well as my husband having his sperm checked to ensure that he was not part of the issue) and a variety of blood tests, she prescribed a 5 day long dose of Letrozole. She explained possible side effects but I chose to take the drug at night, before I went to sleep, to avoid any nausea. I had absolutely no side effects from taking the drug. I went back to the clinic about 10 days later for my second internal sonogram and the drug had worked. I had 4 potential eggs that could "win out" and be ovulated that month. This was good news and bad news for Dr. Balthazar. She brought me back in about 4 days later to check via internal sonogram to make sure it would be safe to try to conceive. Fortunately, only 2 follicles had finished maturing and would be ovulated. She had me use an at home ovulation kit to determine the exact day that my husband and I would need. This was also a money saving factor- my insurance did not cover any treatments. About 2 weeks later, an at home pregnancy test (also to save money) revealed that I was pregnant after only one round of Letrozole. Again, since I am only in my 20's and to save money, Dr. Balthazar had me follow up with my own OB-GYN since those visits would be covered by insurance. I was sad to no longer be working with her, but my husband I look forward to seeing her again when we want to have a second child.
How was your experience with Ursula Balthazar at RMA of Texas?
Dr. Balthazar explains everything in a way that people who aren't physicians can understand. She helps to create a plan with you and your spouse that suits your needs, your desired outcomes, and what you are comfortable with in terms of invasive fertility treatments. She also will express her concerns openly, but in a gentle and caring manner. For us, her concern was the possibility of having multiples. She did everything in her power to make sure we were able to get pregnant with the singleton that we so wanted.
If you are searching for a doctor who is compassionate and who is going to guide you through this tough patch with grace and humor, Dr. Balthazar is the fertility doctor for you.
Dr. Balthazar understood that our desire was to start a family. She made us feel like our case was a priority to her. At our initial appointment, we got answers and the prescriptions we needed. There wasn't any hassle to it, and she didn't seem the least bit inconvenienced. She took her time explaining everything to us and never made us feel like anything was wrong with us because we couldn't get pregnant on our own.
Every single nurse is quite possibly the friendliest person you've ever met. They all have impeccable bedside manner. They are kind and compassionate and not the slightest bit judgmental as you proceed through what can be a very embarassing and personal time in your life.
Describe your experience with RMA of Texas.
The clinic is clean, modern, and a one stop shop. You can get everything you need taken care of in one place. I didn't have to leave to go anywhere else for bloodwork, the Hysterosalpingogram, or anything else. Everyone you encounter is friendly and there to help you, even if you are not under their care specifically. The wall of baby footprints from successful fertility treatments at RMA sent a wave of hope over my husband and I. The chalkboard wall where you can write why you are there is wonderfully inspirational to people who are struggling for something as "simple" as having a baby.
We spent $700 total for the Hysterosalpingogram, blood work, sperm analysis, 3 internal sonograms, and 3 separate appointments where we were seen by Dr. Balthazar each time.
How was your experience with Ursula Balthazar at RMA of Texas?
During all of my visits, Dr. Balthazar was incredibly positive, compassionate, and knowledgeable. She could tell how badly we wanted children, and she thoroughly explained all of our options and risks with each one. She is very understanding of our financial woes. I ended up having my right tube removed due to a blockage. I am usually very nervous during procedures, but I had faith that she could help me. Just knowing that she was there to perform the procedure, and the reason for performing the procedure, put me so much at ease. During my follow up, she stated that everything went well and we went on to talking about our next steps. She is such a wonderful person and doctor, and I just feel so relieved and motivated after each visit with her.
Be open in what you want
Dr. Balthazar was very thorough with my prior care. She was very knowledgeable and put me at ease during my first visit.
Sonogram HSG Tubal removal surgery
The nursing staff is very attentive and positive.
Describe your experience with RMA of Texas.
The only weakness is that calls are not always returned in a timely manner. Sometimes you will have to call for a few days until you get a response. The clinic is very clean and receptive of patients experiencing infertility.
My visits were not covered under insurance, so each visit was roughly about $300. We had 3 visits and 3 procedures. My tubal removal was about $2000.
Dr. Balthazar and staff educated my husband and I on both options. She also made us aware of what option she would recommend for us.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Male Factor, Other
She [Dr. Ursula Balthazar] has the best bedside manner and makes it feel like you are a friend or family member that she is treating... Pretty standard big treatment for egg retrieval. Lining was too thick so fresh transfer was cancelled and did a frozen. After the first failed transfer I had a surgery to check my uterus for any abnormalities as well as switched to estrogen patches which resulted in a positive pregnancy test
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Ursula Balthazar at RMA of Texas?
The sweetest doctor she has a way of making this difficult experience seem so easy and has a way of getting you excited for each step. She has the best bedside manner and makes it feel like you are a friend or family member that she is treating
Ask questions she will be very upfront with the answers and any potential complications or setbacks
The one thing that made me felt like a human was when the first cycle failed Dr. Bahltazar called me directly to give me the news and y’all through what her plan was
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Texas. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Amy was amazing! She gave me her personal cell phone number so that if I had any crazy questions about injections or medication. I could get a hold of her after hours
Describe your experience with RMA of Texas.
The one thing about the clinic that I would change is the waiting room it just seems a little dated and unorganized but behind the scenes it is opposite. The staff is beyond amazing and once you start you injection etc you rarely have to wait for blood work and appointments
I was very lucky to have amazing insurance coverage but out of pocket medications and all it is close to 5k
I was only able to transfer one embryo due to having a unicornuate uterus and insurance coverage
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Balthazar made going through the most difficult thing, bearable. She was very nurturing, knowledgeable, and genuinely cares for her patients. She got excited with every good news we got and followed me through the pregnancy and after. She was so warm to me and my family. She was very prepared at every visit. She is not only the best fertility doctor, but the best doctor I’ve ever had.... She takes lots of time to make you feel comfortable
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Ursula Balthazar at RMA of Texas?
Give her a chance. Everyone I know who has seen her has gotten pregnant, even a girl who was told she needs a hysterectomy by another doctor.
She takes lots of time to make you feel comfortable, to know your individual care, and she is very warm. She went out of her way many times in the process.
I cannot remember
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Texas. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
May was always great to work with. She would be able to reach the doctor with questions I had very quickly. She was very kind and warm.
Describe your experience with RMA of Texas.
The billing department takes too long to get back with you. Sometimes they don’t answer the phone. Just keep calling. They have recently expanded their hours, which is nice. They offer acupuncture there as well.
First retrieval was $25k Second retrieval was $12,500
She chose one because I was pre-diabetic and it is easier to regulate one placenta versus two
2014 - 2017
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
The Doctor [Dr. Ursula Balthazar] picked up on my reactions/questions and really got to know me...She is very positive, kind person. She knows how to sell her product and convince you it is the right thing. She is very accessible. Once she was on vacation and she emailed me back. She will sit down with you and explain for as long as you need it....Progesterone levels was an issue with me. with IUI it was vaginal pink pills with IVF it started to be progesterone shots and after looking at the levels we switched to a vaginal white pill twice a day. Now with the second IVF it will be the same white pills 3 times a day
2014 - 2017
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Ursula Balthazar at RMA of Texas?
Even though it seems like she is going to get you a baby she is not God
The Doctor picked up on my reactions/questions and really got to know me
Birth control during the IVF process. Progesterone levels was an issue with me. with IUI it was vaginal pink pills with IVF it started to be progesterone shots and after looking at the levels we switched to a vaginal white pill twice a day. Now with the second IVF it will be the same white pills 3 times a day
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Texas. (Assigned nurse: Lisa and Amy)
Amy has been available through text message at any time of the day. She doesn't always respond quickly but it is very convenient since they don't answer the phones
Describe your experience with RMA of Texas.
nice, clean place. they have an acupuncturist at the office. the office is very busy
There was a charge everything i went in except for when we purchased the IVF package we paid upfront
She was happy to transfer 2 embryos one being perfect and the other being not fully ready but with 2 good day 3 frozen embryos she wants to only transfer 1 and 2 really wasnt an option