Washington University School of Medicine

Nurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolJohns Hopkins
St. Louis Mo Bapt
3023 N. Ballas Road
St. Louis, MO 63131
314-286-2400
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Valerie Ratts to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Washington University School of Medicine to a friend?
You will not see her [Dr. Valerie Ratts] for ever visit during an actual treatment cycle. The doctors work on rotation so any of the doctors could be doing the retrieval and transfer. I always fell on a different doctors rotation and absolutely loved them all.... My first cycle was a fresh 3 day transfer. I went in for many visits to monitor egg growth and lining checks. Once I had the retrieval, I was called in for a 3 day transfer to transfer 2 embryos. They gave us the option for 1, but we chose 2 on the doctors recommendations. The cycle failed. The next cycle was a frozen transfer. Not all our embryos made it to day 5. We had 1 left.
How was your experience with Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine?
I love have Dr. Rattes for a doctor. I wish a cycle would have worked, but she continues to look for ways to adjust the cycle. She is a caring human being would will have the difficult conversations when needed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine?
You will not see her for ever visit during an actual treatment cycle. The doctors work on rotation so any of the doctors could be doing the retrieval and transfer. I always fell on a different doctors rotation and absolutely loved them all.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Ratts will personally call you following a failed cycle after the team has met. She will answer any questions you have and discuss the next treatment options. Also, during treatment or consultation if my husband and I had questions while we were in the office, she would sit down to help answer them even if our time was over.
Describe the protocols Valerie Ratts used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
My first cycle was a fresh 3 day transfer. I went in for many visits to monitor egg growth and lining checks. Once I had the retrieval, I was called in for a 3 day transfer to transfer 2 embryos. They gave us the option for 1, but we chose 2 on the doctors recommendations. The cycle failed. The next cycle was a frozen transfer. Not all our embryos made it to day 5. We had 1 left. Cycle was much easier. Took estradiol before and then progesterone after transfer. The cycle also failed. I did a second retrieval, 3rd transfer (2nd fresh). Cycle was much like the First only the stemmed harder to try for more eggs. More eggs were immature and didn’t get to be fertilized. 2 embryos transferred on fresh cycle day 3. Failed. No embryos survived to 5 days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Anytime I had any questions at all, I could call and I would hear back with them. They worked with me to figure out if I needed to order extra meds the closer I got to retrieval/transfer so that I didn’t waste a ton of money (it always fell at a weekend). She was great all around. Very helpful and calmed my nerves many times.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
During cycle, you could see any doctor depending who is on rotation. They work together and they work around the patients cycle, not a M-F schedule. For appointments to check lining, eggs, and blood, appts would take maybe 5-10 min. It took me longer to drive there than to actually have an appt. I was always able to go back to work so I wasn’t loosing all my sick days.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine.
Costs for IVF range from 12-15,000 for a retrieval and fresh transfer. I went through a place in CA to finance and provide cost for 1 fresh, 1 frozen for less than in office. The second fresh, frozen we purchased I lost out on some of the $ I had paid in due to not having any embryos survive to 5 days for a frozen transfer. The clinic had the money but since it was contractually linked to the fresh cycle, it is not allowed to be applied to future cycles.
St. Louis CWE
I think we only saw Dr. Ratts maybe twice out of the many many visits that we made there. And I don't know that we ever actually spoke to her on the phone in between visits....She just was very hard to get ahold of, and I felt like she really didn't know that much about us or really want or try to get to know us personally. And I definitely didn't feel a lot of compassion from her.... Dr. Ratts was nice, and was pretty informative our very first visit,
Dr. Ratts was nice, and was pretty informative our very first visit, but we really never saw her again after that. She just was very hard to get ahold of, and I felt like she really didn't know that much about us or really want or try to get to know us personally. And I definitely didn't feel a lot of compassion from her.
Be prepared to see her one time and one time only.
Not necessarily a number, but probably definitely not a human either. I think we only saw Dr. Ratts maybe twice out of the many many visits that we made there. And I don't know that we ever actually spoke to her on the phone in between visits.
We did a couple rounds of oral medications, none of which were successful. So then we switched to injectables, and did an IUI cycle. It was successful but unfortunately ended in miscarriage.
Mary was our nurse throughout our whole treatment Journey with Dr. Ratts. And honestly she felt more like the doctor than Dr. Ratts. If something changed, Mary was the one to call us. Good news or bad news Mary was the one to call us. And Mary was actually the one who performed our IUI. She was a very good nurse, and very very knowledgeable. Not necessarily super compassionate, but very smart and knowledgeable and informative.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic was not great at all honestly. We definitely felt like a number there... The nurses, other than Mary...were incredibly hard to get a hold of! The billing people were almost impossible to talk to you unless of course they were trying to get money from you... And making an appointment was very very difficult! Honestly, the receptionist was the best thing about the whole place! She was so sweet, and knew both my husband and my name every time we walked in. She learned little things about us and would always ask us personal questions, in a good way...about our life and just was always so kind and friendly. If she was the doctor, nurse, or represented everyone else in the clinic, I would give this place a 10 out of 10!
Describe Valerie Ratts's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
St. Louis Mo Bapt
I completed three rounds of letrozole and two rounds of Clomid with follicle scans under the care of Dr. Ratts. I never ovulated on any of these cycles. Dr. Ratts said I could either pursue IUI or IVF, but she would recommend IVF if I was going to spend the money. After all of my failed treatment cycles, I didn't have any direct communication with her. All messages were relayed through her nurse, which was frustrating...
Do not see Dr. Ratts if you are not interested in pursuing IVF.
This practice felt more like a business trying to sell IVF.
I did three rounds of letrozole (2.5, 5, and 7.5 mg) with OPKs and timed intercourse. When I didn't have a period by CD35 and had a negative pregnancy test, I took Provera to have a withdrawal bleed. I also did two rounds of Clomid (150 and 250 mg) with a follicle scan. I did not develop a follicle with either scan so my treatments stopped. My next course of action was to try injectable medications with IUI or IVF, and I did not want to pursue that course at the time due to financial and ethical concerns.
I communicated with the nursing staff over the phone frequently. Mary RN was very direct and offered little compassion.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The office setting is conveniently located, clean, and professional. Dr. Ratts usually runs behind schedule so plan on waiting to be seen.
Ultrasounds - $360; Injectables $3,000-5,000; IUI - $1200; IVF - $11,000
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
2011 - 2012
Dr. Rattes understood we had no insurance coverage and tried to do what was best for us within our financial means. She was very open and honest. She was not afraid to tell me my best option would be IVF and stop wasting my money on IUI's. She always gave me multiple options in the beginning and listed all the pros and cons of each option.... She was very kind and compassionate. She truly wanted to help us.
2011 - 2012
Definitely give her a try!
She was very kind and compassionate. She truly wanted to help us.
Dr. Rattes started me with Clomid. She then prepared me for IUI. After it failed she recommended IVF.
The nursing staff was very pleasant and discrete when treating me. They understand that the situation is very personal and also upsetting to the patient.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is very up front with the cost of the procedures. They were willing to work with me on how to pay for my treatments. They facility was clean and had easy parking.
I did not have any insurance coverage for infertility so the cost were very high.