4.3

St. Louis - Missouri Baptist Med Center
3023 N. Ballas Road
St. Louis, MO 63131
314-286-2400

You will not see her [Dr. Valerie Ratts] for ever visit during an actual treatment cycle. The doctors work on rotation so any of the doctors could be doing the retrieval and transfer. I always fell on a different doctors rotation and absolutely loved them all.... My first cycle was a fresh 3 day transfer. I went in for many visits to monitor egg growth and lining checks. Once I had the retrieval, I was called in for a 3 day transfer to transfer 2 embryos. They gave us the option for 1, but we chose 2 on the doctors recommendations. The cycle failed. The next cycle was a frozen transfer. Not all our embryos made it to day 5. We had 1 left.
Costs for IVF [at Wash U] range from 12-15,000 for a retrieval and fresh transfer. I went through a place in CA to finance and provide cost for 1 fresh, 1 frozen for less than in office. The second fresh, frozen we purchased I lost out on some of the $ I had paid in due to not having any embryos survive to 5 days for a frozen transfer. The clinic had the money but since it was contractually linked to the fresh cycle, it is not allowed to be applied to future cycles.
How was your experience with Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine?
I love have Dr. Rattes for a doctor. I wish a cycle would have worked, but she continues to look for ways to adjust the cycle. She is a caring human being would will have the difficult conversations when needed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine?
You will not see her for ever visit during an actual treatment cycle. The doctors work on rotation so any of the doctors could be doing the retrieval and transfer. I always fell on a different doctors rotation and absolutely loved them all.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Ratts will personally call you following a failed cycle after the team has met. She will answer any questions you have and discuss the next treatment options. Also, during treatment or consultation if my husband and I had questions while we were in the office, she would sit down to help answer them even if our time was over.
Describe the protocols Valerie Ratts used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
My first cycle was a fresh 3 day transfer. I went in for many visits to monitor egg growth and lining checks. Once I had the retrieval, I was called in for a 3 day transfer to transfer 2 embryos. They gave us the option for 1, but we chose 2 on the doctors recommendations. The cycle failed. The next cycle was a frozen transfer. Not all our embryos made it to day 5. We had 1 left. Cycle was much easier. Took estradiol before and then progesterone after transfer. The cycle also failed. I did a second retrieval, 3rd transfer (2nd fresh). Cycle was much like the First only the stemmed harder to try for more eggs. More eggs were immature and didn’t get to be fertilized. 2 embryos transferred on fresh cycle day 3. Failed. No embryos survived to 5 days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Anytime I had any questions at all, I could call and I would hear back with them. They worked with me to figure out if I needed to order extra meds the closer I got to retrieval/transfer so that I didn’t waste a ton of money (it always fell at a weekend). She was great all around. Very helpful and calmed my nerves many times.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
During cycle, you could see any doctor depending who is on rotation. They work together and they work around the patients cycle, not a M-F schedule. For appointments to check lining, eggs, and blood, appts would take maybe 5-10 min. It took me longer to drive there than to actually have an appt. I was always able to go back to work so I wasn’t loosing all my sick days.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine.
Costs for IVF range from 12-15,000 for a retrieval and fresh transfer. I went through a place in CA to finance and provide cost for 1 fresh, 1 frozen for less than in office. The second fresh, frozen we purchased I lost out on some of the $ I had paid in due to not having any embryos survive to 5 days for a frozen transfer. The clinic had the money but since it was contractually linked to the fresh cycle, it is not allowed to be applied to future cycles.
Valerie Ratts
2011 - 2012, Unsuccessful
Dr. Rattes understood we had no insurance coverage and tried to do what was best for us within our financial means. She was very open and honest. She was not afraid to tell me my best option would be IVF and stop wasting my money on IUI's. She always gave me multiple options in the beginning and listed all the pros and cons of each option.... She was very kind and compassionate. She truly wanted to help us.
The nursing staff [at Washington University School of Medicine] was very pleasant and discrete when treating me. They understand that the situation is very personal and also upsetting to the patient.... The clinic is very up front with the cost of the procedures. They were willing to work with me on how to pay for my treatments. They facility was clean and had easy parking.
Definitely give her a try!
She was very kind and compassionate. She truly wanted to help us.
Dr. Rattes started me with Clomid. She then prepared me for IUI. After it failed she recommended IVF.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Washington University School of Medicine.
The nursing staff was very pleasant and discrete when treating me. They understand that the situation is very personal and also upsetting to the patient.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I did not have any insurance coverage for infertility so the cost were very high.
Valerie Ratts