4.8

Kalamazoo
317 South Drake Rd
Kalamazoo, MI 49009

Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr. Shavell is very nice. She's a little too soft spoken at times; meaning her demeanor is almost too sympathetic. I want answers, I want to take comfort knowing you (the person I am trusting) has a plan of action specifically designed for me and that we aren't just going through the motions.... After my HSG, I had to have a polyp removed. Then we started on 50 mg clomid because that's the starting point, which I responded well to but nothing came of it. We did four cycles on this with the HCG (Ovidrel) shot. Then we moved onto letrozole and Gonal-F.
My number one strength [Fertility Ctr of Michigan] is location. It's perfectly located not too far out of town but far enough where they have they're own parking, which can be key for comfort! It is also a very clean facility with, what seems like, new equipment. Weaknesses, wait times can be excessive; in the waiting room or in the patient rooms.... They are all very friendly! I cannot stress that enough. I love them personality wise, especially the front desk and the ultrasound technician. They are amazing. However, there were times when I called (almost always have to leave a message and a call was returned) where I felt hurried on the phone.
How was your experience with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Shavell is very nice. She's a little too soft spoken at times; meaning her demeanor is almost too sympathetic. I want answers, I want to take comfort knowing you (the person I am trusting) has a plan of action specifically designed for me and that we aren't just going through the motions. There were times where I felt she was more focused on me thinking she cared than her actually trying to fix any issues. I also feel she is not very available when needed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Ask her to give it to you straight. Also, request a full description of treatments with all the why's explained.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I don't think, in the beginning, the treatment was custom to my issues. I think they take standard protocol and go through the motions. I had to start fighting for what I wanted. They also are not exactly forthcoming on information. I had to ask a lot of questions I learned through podcasts and others who have gone through it all before.
Describe the protocols Valerie Shavell used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
After my HSG, I had to have a polyp removed. Then we started on 50 mg clomid because that's the starting point, which I responded well to but nothing came of it. We did four cycles on this with the HCG (Ovidrel) shot. Then we moved onto letrozole and Gonal-F. I can't remember the specific dose of letrozole but the injections were 300. I did not respond as well to the letrozole as we had hoped. I am currently going to do one timed cylce of 100 mg of clomid (back to clomid after under-performance of letrozole) while we wait for insurance pre-authorization. If that is approved (different insurance company than the last round) I will have one last IUI cycle of 100 mg Clomid and Gonal-F 450 injections. IF this does not work, we will immediately be moving on to IVF.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are all very friendly! I cannot stress that enough. I love them personality wise, especially the front desk and the ultrasound technician. They are amazing. However, there were times when I called (almost always have to leave a message and a call was returned) where I felt hurried on the phone. I also felt like the communication between the team wasn't all that great, where one would tell me one thing about my treatment but the next person I talk with didn't have that same information. That was a little frustrating. I also had to make sure I had all my questions ready to ask, otherwise I wasn't informed of any "extra" information. Honestly, I love the staff, I just worry a little about their efficiency/organization.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
My number one strength is location. It's perfectly located not too far out of town but far enough where they have they're own parking, which can be key for comfort! It is also a very clean facility with, what seems like, new equipment. Weaknesses, wait times can be excessive; in the waiting room or in the patient rooms. Also, when my husband goes to drop off his specimen, I wish it was a little quicker for him. He has a very time structured job and gets frustrated that he has to sit there for 15 minutes before the lab calls him back. I think that should be explained better, the whole home to lab process. I would tell a new patient to ask all the questions, nothing is too much when it comes to treatment. Do not expect them to go over every detail with you. If you Type A like me, you'll leave frustrated and feeling like nothing was accomplished.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Each IUI is $500 (sperm wash and procedure) plus the ultrasound and office visit. Each visit was a co-pay amount. Hybrid cycle had an extra ultrasound (echogram) which was more than the ultrasound. Medications were all based on what insurance would cover; most of it out of pocket.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I just had conflicting dosage information a couple times. Seemed like I had to inform the nurse as opposed to her knowing it when she called me.

Treated 2016 - 2017
Dr. Shavell is super nice and well educated. Our personalities are just very different. She is very, very soft spoken and serious. My husband and I appreciate a more laid back approach. I honestly preferred speaking with the nurses instead of her directly. There was nothing wrong with the way she treated me or anything, our personalities just did not click... I never got a real good explanation of WHY I wasn't getting pregnant. ..She was very sweet and seemed to care a lot about us...
My husband had a nasty encounter with one of the insurance / billing people [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] so that made things very frustrating but other than that I liked everyone there. They are all so welcoming and inviting. I never got a real good explanation of WHY I wasn't getting pregnant. I had never been through something like this and didn't really feel prepared to be doing all the things they were doing. I don't know if that's a lack of educating on their part or a lack of me not asking enough questions. I think sometimes the staff kind of assumes you "know the drill" and don't always go in to as much detail as they should. Just be your own advocate and you will be fine!
If you don't mind soft spoken, cut and dry, then you will like her.
She was very sweet and seemed to care a lot about us.
The nursing staff at the Fertility Center make the office! They are all so great. They take a deep interest in your care and success and are genuinely on your team! It took us over a year of treatments at the Fertility Center to get pregnant and we got to know so many of the nurses it felt like family!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Overall I don't have many complaints about the Fertility Center. My husband had a nasty encounter with one of the insurance / billing people so that made things very frustrating but other than that I liked everyone there. They are all so welcoming and inviting. I never got a real good explanation of WHY I wasn't getting pregnant. I had never been through something like this and didn't really feel prepared to be doing all the things they were doing. I don't know if that's a lack of educating on their part or a lack of me not asking enough questions. I think sometimes the staff kind of assumes you "know the drill" and don't always go in to as much detail as they should. Just be your own advocate and you will be fine!
An IUI procedure was $268 (my insurance would cover in full but I had to submit for reimbursement). My insurance covered all office visits after meeting my $125 deductible. The IVF procedure cost around $8000 in just the center costs - not including medications.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
One of my prescriptions was not ordered to the correct pharmacy. One time they tried drawing my blood in their lab when I didn't need it done / always used a different lab. Nothing huge or cycle altering occurred.
Treated 2020
Just pushed through a process [with Dr. Shavell]...I frequently saw different providers and got mixed messages about my treatment and next steps. I later went onto another clinic and found out that this clinic missed my diagnosis of PCOS...We did cycles with progesterone. Cycles with progesterone and femara, had an ectopic pregnancy that took weeks to make a decision on. Doctors couldn’t agree on the treatment they wanted to do.
Just pushed through a process [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]...I felt like the clinic had too much going on to focus on the individuals. I frequently saw different providers and got mixed messages about my treatment and next steps. I later went onto another clinic and found out that this clinic missed my diagnosis of PCOS...We did cycles with progesterone. Cycles with progesterone and femara, had an ectopic pregnancy that took weeks to make a decision on. Doctors couldn’t agree on the treatment they wanted to do.
Do your research. Make sure you know what you are willing to do and your expected timeline for results. Be meticulous with your budget. Things get very expensive very quickly.
Just pushed through a process
Most of the nurses were great and compassionate!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The office is very nice and clean. The front office staff could be friendlier and more compassionate for sure. At times it was rather difficult to get ahold of people and get answers. I ended up leaving for another clinic because I felt like just a number that was shuffled about.
My insurance did cover most of my procedures but that was because the clinic kept me at a minimal level of care that did not result in pregnancy. I ended up paying about $1000 for a few failed cycles and no resulting pregnancy.
Describe Valerie Shavell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
No comment
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
As stated earlier, I felt like a number. I didn’t feel like the clinic was overly motivated to get me pregnant.
Treated 2018 - 2019
After one of her lab tests, it became clear that my wife has Hashimoto's thyroiditis, but no one informed her of that until the information came up almost accidentally in a conversation with Dr. Shavell. ... She's very warm and seems to treat her patients well as people. However, she really needs to be more assertive and guide the conversation as the physician. My wife and I felt like she wasn't forthcoming with information and basically waited for us to lead the conversation rather than sharing info upfront and using that to guide the conversation and treatment plan.
No complaints so far about the clinic [The Fert Ctr of MI] as a whole - they've been great to work with. We've felt very supported through this whole process by the office overall, including the front office staff and the nurses. ... After one of her lab tests, it became clear that my wife has Hashimoto's thyroiditis, but no one informed her of that until the information came up almost accidentally in a conversation with Dr. Shavell.
She's very warm and seems to treat her patients well as people. However, she really needs to be more assertive and guide the conversation as the physician. My wife and I felt like she wasn't forthcoming with information and basically waited for us to lead the conversation rather than sharing info upfront and using that to guide the conversation and treatment plan. She's too soft-spoken and needs to be able to tell it like it is, good or bad.
Do your research so that you know what questions to ask to get the information you need. If you rely on her to lead the conversation, you will likely not walk away with a good understanding of what's happening.
She has a very warm personality, makes good eye contact, and seems to care about her patients.
We're still early in the process, but at this point it's been mostly treating both my wife and myself with prescriptions for various things that seem to be contributing to our infertility (irregular cycles and hypothyroidism for her, prostatitis and low sperm count for me).
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
No complaints so far about the clinic as a whole - they've been great to work with. We've felt very supported through this whole process by the office overall, including the front office staff and the nurses.

Treated 2017 - 2018
Embryo Freezing
She [Dr. Valerie Shavell] is very kind but a little passive. I would have prefered a more aggressive treatment early on. I also wish I had seen her more frequently during my recently cancelled cycle. She is a good communicator and when I dis meet with her she explained everything thoroughly.... We tried 2 IUI's which were unsuccessful. Our recent IvF was cancelled after 10 days due to low follicle production. My injections have been adjusted for next time but I wonder if something could have been done earlier to get better results.
Overall, they [the nurses at the Fertility Center of Michigan-Grand Rapids] have been fine. It can be difficult to get them on the phone at times and when I asked for the new protocol for meds to be described they said it wasn't necessary at that time which I found frustrating.... In the end you will meet with all the doctors when it matters, so don't wait for her. Just get in there and get the process started.
She is very kind but a little passive. I would have prefered a more aggressive treatment early on. I also wish I had seen her more frequently during my recently cancelled cycle. She is a good communicator and when I dis meet with her she explained everything thoroughly.
It has been hard at times to reach her and during my recently cancelled cycle I only met with other doctors at the clinic.
Overall, they have been fine. It can be difficult to get them on the phone at times and when I asked for the new protocol for meds to be described they said it wasn't necessary at that time which I found frustrating.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The first was very casual with rock star pictures all over his office. There was also lots of toys and stuffed animals. It was weird. The second just didn't seem very compassionate. We only saw them both once and decided to wait.
So far we have spent 13,000 which included a prepayment for our upcoming IVF
She prefers single but with our chances so slim I think she should be more aggressive if the patient is willing.

Treated 2017 - 2018
12 rounds of Femara, 4 iui [protocol with Dr. Shavell]. Got pregnant on the 2nd iui but miscarried. Taking a break of the next round doesn’t work and then switching to injectables... is very nice but I feel that i am treated as a number. I only see or hear from her when I specifically request an appointment and I find myself having to remind her of things that she should already know...Conflicting information is my biggest complaint. It’s almost as if nurses and doctors don’t communicate. I’ve had them drop the ball several times related to my thyroid treatment and I’ve had to question advice they’ve given. It’s hard for me to trust what they are saying.
I have to re explain my situation every time I am at the fertility center [of Michigan]. There is no consistent treatment...A complete lack of communication and they clearly don’t look at files before talking to you. I’ve have had to re explain my miscarriage what feels like 1000 times. I get different answers depending on the nurse I’m talking to... It’s almost as if nurses and doctors don’t communicate. I’ve had them drop the ball several times related to my thyroid treatment and I’ve had to question advice they’ve given. It’s hard for me to trust what they are saying.
Dr Shavell is very nice but I feel that i am treated as a number. I only see or hear from her when I specifically request an appointment and I find myself having to remind her of things that she should already know.
Ask a lot of questions and stand up for yourself
I have to re explain my situation every time I am at the fertility center. There is no consistent treatment.
12 rounds of Femara, 4 iui. Got pregnant on the 2nd iui but miscarried. Taking a break of the next round doesn’t work and then switching to injectables when we save up money.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Strengths are that it’s clean, the staff are nice and wait times are minimal. Weakness is that they treat you like a number and try to push IVF when it’s not necessary yet. You have to advocate for and guide your own treatment.
were about 7000 in for iui, ultra sounds and medications
Treated 2018 - 2019
[Dr. Valerie Shavell is] Very soft spoken and at times hard to hear. Provided general information, but not a ton of details. When I asked questions I would get thorough answers then. She Seemed caring but rushed. I did not see the provider often... Poor HIPAA practice [at Fertility Centers of MI- Grand Rapids] and reaching billing is difficult. The nurses will talk in the halls and there is a lot of shuffeling of patients in consult rooms. I waited over in consiltant rooms. They returned all calls the same day if made before 3pm
My coordinator [at The Fertility Center of MI- Grand Rapids] was great, however I only spoke with her a few times. When I would call with questions I often spoke with different people. Some of who were not always friendly. I think they would really improve with there HIPAA practices.... Poor HIPAA practice and reaching billing is difficult. The nurses will talk in the halls and there is a lot of shuffeling of patients in consult rooms. I waited over in consiltant rooms. They returned all calls the same day if made before 3pm
Ask a lot of questions
Everything was very rushed, no details.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy )
My coordinator was great, however I only spoke with her a few times. When I would call with questions I often spoke with different people. Some of who were not always friendly. I think they would really improve with there HIPAA practices.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Poor HIPAA practice and reaching billing is difficult. The nurses will talk in the halls and there is a lot of shuffeling of patients in consult rooms. I waited over in consiltant rooms. They returned all calls the same day if made before 3pm.
IVF was around 15,000

Treated 2018 - 2019
The procedure used for IUI was the same each of the four times I did it [with Dr. Valerie Shavell]. I am now starting my second round of IVF and she is changing the procedure to a flair protocol...During some appointments I felt as though she was looking at my chart for the first time...is a very nice person but sometimes her tone can be taken the wrong way at first. She is very light spoken and sometimes I perceived her tone as patronizing. After getting to know her more I became use to it.
The nursing staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] is pleasant...IUI's were around $500 for the procedure. IVF was around $8500...Clean and inviting but sometimes the wait times are long when arriving for an appointment. I also wish there was a payment plan option when doing IVF. Appointments are usually easy to schedule and are flexible...The procedure used for IUI was the same each of the four times I did it. I am now starting my second round of IVF and she is changing the procedure to a flair protocol.
Valerie is a very nice person but sometimes her tone can be taken the wrong way at first. She is very light spoken and sometimes I perceived her tone as patronizing. After getting to know her more I became use to it.
Ask questions.
The nursing staff is pleasant.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
IUI's were around $500 for the procedure. IVF was around $8500.
Treated 2018 - 2019
It didn't feel like Dr. Shavell led the conversation. I brought a lot of questions and she offered thoughts, but didn't go into detail. She'd say just one sentence and then wait. There were times where information she shared surprised me (I wasn't aware of a diagnosis) but she seemed hesitant to go into more conversation. Come prepared with questions and prepared to drive the conversation forward.
It's a nice building and set up. There are pictures of babies all over the hallways, so be prepared for that. I also noticed children in the waiting room a few times, so also be aware of that potential. ... I've received good response time when calling the nursing staff [The Fertility Ctr of MI], which has been great. ... But it felt like we were shuttled from one room to another and just left to wait a lot of the time.
Come prepared with questions and be prepared to lead the conversation forward!
She did take time to talk with us and make small talk. But it felt like we were shuttled from one room to another and just left to wait a lot of the time.
I've received good response time when calling the nursing staff, which has been great.