4.8

Kalamazoo
317 South Drake Rd
Kalamazoo, MI 49009

Treated 2018 - 2019
I've only ever seen Dr. Shavell twice in two years, during consults. She's very sweet, but she has nurses perform IUI procedures (and not very well), a different doctor performed my HSG and any time I place a call or send a message to her directly it's always a nurse that responds...We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility though and given a packet of pre-determined steps with none ever working for us. Our care is really left in the hands of nurses, we never hear from the doctor or see her during/after procedures and ultrasounds unless we want to pay out of pocket for another consult.
All [the nurses at The Fertility Center of Michigan] are kind. Very disappointed they are the ones that perform the IUI though. Had two different nurses and neither really inspired confidence, they knew what to do just didn't seem to have much skill in it. Neither IUI worked and it was $1,400 down the drain...Terrible business hours for anyone that works a regular job and is expected to drive back and forth multiple times a month in the middle of the day for ultrasounds. The staff there also seems to forget everything is being paid out of pocket by most of us and every time we come we're charged hundreds of dollars, and are disapproving when trying to minimize appointments. The front registration staff are phenomenal.
How was your experience with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Shavell is very nice and soft spoken, easy to talk to. We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility though and given a packet of pre-determined steps with none ever working for us. Our care is really left in the hands of nurses, we never hear from the doctor or see her during/after procedures and ultrasounds unless we want to pay out of pocket for another consult.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
You're just one of many. She is kind and knowledgeable but don't plan for her to actually be involved in your care unless you're doing IVF.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the protocols Valerie Shavell used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
HSG that came back normal, 3 rounds of clomid, 4 rounds of Femara in attempt to see if any of these things would produce more follicles to increase chances of pregnancy. I was already ovulating on my own and ended up with multiple follicles twice. Also went on estrogen and progesterone to thicken lining when Femara thinned it. No success from any treatments.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
All are kind. Very disappointed they are the ones that perform the IUI though. Had two different nurses and neither really inspired confidence, they knew what to do just didn't seem to have much skill in it. Neither IUI worked and it was $1,400 down the drain.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Expensive, my insurance doesn't cover most of it. Ultrasounds are frequent and usually cost $175-250 depending on limited or complete (although even when charging for complete ultrasound the cervix isn't evaluated and a VERY fast sweep of the uterus is performed that's not very diagnostic). IUIs were around 700 each time, the HSG was probably closer to 1000 but I can't remember the exact numbers for sure. Consults are over 100, and then another 50 every time I talk to a nurse in the clinic after ultrasounds.
Describe Valerie Shavell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Not to that point yet
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Shavell is so empathetic she almost comes off as meek in the consult room, which might be good for some people, but I prefer a doctor to be blunt and tell me like it is. She did perform surgery when I had an ectopic pregnancy and she's much more to the point in the operating room so I was happy with that and she did a great job...The third IUI was positive, but resulted in an ectopic pregnancy found at the 6 week ultrasound. Dr. Shavell recommended methotrexate to terminate the pregnancy. That was followed by two weeks of Beta HCG blood tests every few days and my numbers weren't going down. She recommended a second dose of methotrexate over surgery and that was also ineffective. Two weeks later I fi
you're always seeing someone different [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] so there's bound to be conflicting information...We paid around $35K in 2019 for 1 IUI, 1 egg retrieval + fresh transfer, 2 FET's, meds, labs, etc., etc... think they do a good job for the most part. The reception staff is very sweet. The medical assistants, ultrasound techs, etc. are really compassionate and willing to do whatever they can to help you out. The one thing I would change if I could, is being able to see my primary doctor/nurse for every appointment/procedure. They are so busy that you basically just see whoever is available. Which makes sense since fertility is such a time sensitive thing and comes down to the day you're ovulating so they can't always be available for you, but another doctor/nurse always is.
I would suggest going into an appointment prepared with lots of questions to ask. I've done a lot of my own research and make lists of things I want to ask her about.
Dr. Shavell is empathetic and really spends the time to help my husband and I by explaining everything and letting us ask a ton of questions.
I've done 4 IUI's under Dr. Shavell's primary care. At the Fertility Center you basically see whichever doctor or nurse is available during your procedures though so a lot of these protocols were assigned by other providers. Each IUI cycle started with Clomid cycle days 3-5, midcycle ultrasound ~day 10-12, IUI ~day 13-15. The first two were negative. The third IUI was positive, but resulted in an ectopic pregnancy found at the 6 week ultrasound. Dr. Shavell recommended methotrexate to terminate the pregnancy. That was followed by two weeks of Beta HCG blood tests every few days and my numbers weren't going down. She recommended a second dose of methotrexate over surgery and that was also ineffective. Two weeks later I finally had surgery to remove the ectopic pregnancy and my fallopian tube. After methotrexate you have to wait 3 months to conceive so we did a 4th and final IUI that was negative. At that point we jumped into IVF and prepping for egg retrieval. I can't remember the protocol, but it involved Menopur and Ganirelix, etc. The ER was very successful with 18 eggs retrieved, 17 mature and fertilized, 14 made it to day 3. We did a 3 day fresh transfer with 2 embryos and froze the remaining 12. The result was negative. We waited a month or so and then began to prep for frozen embryo transfer. It was a long lupron protocol. We transferred 2 embryos, which resulted in miscarriage at ~5.5 weeks. We waited another month and began the same long lupron protocol again. We decided to thaw all frozen 10 embryos to grow them out to blastocyst with the goal of weeding out some that may be weaker. They all survived thaw and made it to blast. We transferred 2 and refroze the remaining 8. This cycle ended in a chemical pregnancy. We were getting ready to do some additional testing (hysteroscopy to check for fibroids, etc. and chromosome mapping) before moving forward with the next cycle, but everything is now on hold due to Covid-19. We will also do an ERA cycle prior to the next FET.
They are wonderful and compassionate in their communication.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I think they do a good job for the most part. The reception staff is very sweet. The medical assistants, ultrasound techs, etc. are really compassionate and willing to do whatever they can to help you out. The one thing I would change if I could, is being able to see my primary doctor/nurse for every appointment/procedure. They are so busy that you basically just see whoever is available. Which makes sense since fertility is such a time sensitive thing and comes down to the day you're ovulating so they can't always be available for you, but another doctor/nurse always is.
I would estimate that each IUI costs around $1500 including drugs, ultrasounds, and procedure. They don't bill insurance for the male portion, but they've billed my insurance for everything else and majority of it has been covered by Blue Care Network. We've paid 100% out of pocket for IVF as our insurance does not cover. We paid around $35K in 2019 for 1 IUI, 1 egg retrieval + fresh transfer, 2 FET's, meds, labs, etc., etc.
Dr. Shavell has had no problem transferring two embryos each time, but has made sure to ask that we are ok with the higher chance of having multiples.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Like I stated before in the weaknesses, you're always seeing someone different so there's bound to be conflicting information. I always take the information given and then if I feel like I need a second opinion I'll call and speak with a different nurse/doctor over the phone to get their opinion/confirm what I was told/was recommended to me. I had one IUI cycle cancelled due to intolerance of drugs prescribed. I took the Clomid as instructed and the doctor also put me on Estradiol to help give my lining a boost. Apparently Estradiol can basically cancel out the clomid in some women so my follicles stopped progressing that cycle. After four rounds of clomid, I've now been told that clomid can actually cause a thin lining, which was my issue, so they switched to Femera for the last two cycles and that really helped thicken my lining.
Treated 2015 - 2019
She [Dr. Shavell] went out of her way to personally call me. It was greatly heartfelt and appreciated. ... After 3 failed IUI attempts and 2 additional rounds of femara that also failed, it was so heartbreaking! We just started our 2nd round of IVF. We will be doubling all of our dosages for injections and taking a stronger approach. ... She personally took time out of her day to call me and apologize for the situation even though it was not any fault of her own.
They [The Fertility Center of Michigan] are very good with scheduling. I generally get a call back within a few hours if they are experiencing high call volumes. The only downfall is that you do not see the Dr.s very often at all for how much they are charging you. Be very prepared to see staff members often. It is extremely expensive for fertility treatments, you have many additional costs that are not included in the overall IVF package they quote. This would include bloodwork, and ultrasounds. Something we thought should be included with the pricing.
We had to cancel an egg retrieval which was so disheartening after finishing half of our shots/medications. She personally took time out of her day to call me and apologize for the situation even though it was not any fault of her own.
Be open minded through the process as things change often. Be more prepared to talk to all of the staff and nurses and ask many questions. You truly don't talk to the Dr often.
She went out of her way to personally call me. It was greatly heartfelt and appreciated.
We decided to do a full IVF cycle. My body decided to produce one very large egg (many other small eggs that just would not be able to catch up) which resulted in having to postpone our IVF. After 3 failed IUI attempts and 2 additional rounds of femara that also failed, it was so heartbreaking! We just started our 2nd round of IVF. We will be doubling all of our dosages for injections and taking a stronger approach. Nothing like watching your dreams being crushed 6 different times. Still we remain positive and continue on. We are definitely praying for a healthy miracle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Libby)
I cannot say enough good things about Libby. She answers every question I have with such care and compassion. I have seen a few nurses, but she just seems to stand out with her personal care.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are very good with scheduling. I generally get a call back within a few hours if they are experiencing high call volumes. The only downfall is that you do not see the Dr.s very often at all for how much they are charging you. Be very prepared to see staff members often. It is extremely expensive for fertility treatments, you have many additional costs that are not included in the overall IVF package they quote. This would include bloodwork, and ultrasounds. Something we thought should be included with the pricing.
We have personally spent over $25,000 and counting for fertility treatments. It is extremely overwhelming financially when you're constantly getting a bill for treatment plans and services. It hits harder after a failed attempt where you have to pay for more injections or medications. IVF and fertility are extremely expensive at this center. It is our closest option for being able to make appointments on a regular routine basis.
We thought it best to do a multiple embryo transfer after much discussion with our Dr. This next month feels like a standstill for time.
Grand Rapids
I feel the protocols for cycles are explained [by Dr. Valerie Shavell] but not alternatives or other options. It’s more of a this is it unless I were to press. I also have yet to hear risks associated except regarding OHSS and multiples...Simply told me that I could have no more than 2 transferred but I was given many many handouts on single embryo transfer...I feel like now after two failed transfers she remembers me and is ready and willing to work with me on our plan for the next cycle. Not as another number.
You need to be adamant about communication or you can get lost in the shuffle [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]. I needed help with a grant and the nurse consulting me did not make notes so I missed a deadline on a potentially huge opportunity. But honestly it’s probably because they are focused on care and treatments, not busy paperwork. So I can respect that...LOVE the nursing staff at the fertility center!!! Can’t say enough good things.
I think she is compassionate and caring, but until you are a committed patient and on the schedule I did not feel taken seriously. Now that I’ve gone through a few cycles I feel that we have a doctor patient relationship built.
Ask questions.
I feel the protocols for cycles are explained but not alternatives or other options. It’s more of a this is it unless I were to press. I also have yet to hear risks associated except regarding OHSS and multiples.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
LOVE the nursing staff at the fertility center!!! Can’t say enough good things.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
You need to be adamant about communication or you can get lost in the shuffle. I needed help with a grant and the nurse consulting me did not make notes so I missed a deadline on a potentially huge opportunity. But honestly it’s probably because they are focused on care and treatments, not busy paperwork. So I can respect that.
They seem competitive, although I wish the ‘case management’ fee was explained more because it seems quite steep without explanation. They do give a discount on FET’s following a failed cycle.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I think a lot went right but I just have had more experiences with the paperwork/clinical side of things. As far as IVF/FET treatments things have all gone right so far except a successful cycle.
Grand Rapids

I'm diagnosed with recurrent pregnancy loss after three miscarriages. Dr. Shavell suggested a saline sonohysterogram and a endometrial biopsy. The SHG was to check for scar tissue after two D&C's 7 days apart. The biopsy was to make sure the infection (endometritis) in my endometrium was resolved.... Dr. Shavell is to the point, and obviously extremely intelligent and well educated. I'm a person that wants everything explained in detail as I want to absorb all the information I can. I could have asked more questions,
It's a nice environment in a great location. The interior [Fertility Ctr of MI] is modern, but comfortable and welcoming. They offer beverages and have couches. Front desk staff is kind. It did not take long to get an appointment scheduled after being referred. It is a professional environment.... I have not had much interaction with the nurses. I have with multiple MA's and they are not very warm. Clinically they are fine.
Dr. Shavell is to the point, and obviously extremely intelligent and well educated. I'm a person that wants everything explained in detail as I want to absorb all the information I can. I could have asked more questions, but I wish she had approached us without thinking we were as familiar as why she would suggest some of the procedures. I wanted the detailed reasons why. She is very kind, which is very important to me. I have met with her twice, and am scheduled with her in 1.5 weeks.
Ask your questions, she gives you time.
Mostly like a human. It was more the MA's that made me feel like a number, than the doctors. The consultation was less warm than the following procedures.
I'm diagnosed with recurrent pregnancy loss after three miscarriages. Dr. Shavell suggested a saline sonohysterogram and a endometrial biopsy. The SHG was to check for scar tissue after two D&C's 7 days apart. The biopsy was to make sure the infection (endometritis) in my endometrium was resolved. Both came back normal and great, thankfully.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It's a nice environment in a great location. The interior is modern, but comfortable and welcoming. They offer beverages and have couches. Front desk staff is kind. It did not take long to get an appointment scheduled after being referred. It is a professional environment.
Cost has been fine as my insurance has covered appointments and procedures. Thanks to the staff that scheduled the two procedures, she made sure they were scheduled on two different days. Otherwise my insurance only would have covered one. That was a great experience. One negative experience was the Counsyl genetic testing they recommended; I had already had karyotype testing; so, I don't know if it was even necessary, but the MA gave me inaccurate information about being able to cancel the testing when I received an email from Counsyl. Thankfully Counsyl worked with me. I am slightly irritated they do not accept Tricare. My husband is a veteran and in the national guard and soon I will be on his insurance.
does not apply

Treated 2014 - 2017
Embryo Freezing
Valerie [Shavell] would call me personally if I asked which I was pleasantly pleased with. She let me be the deciding factor on all the decisions. She never pushed her opinions on me or forced me into a decision. She was always completely unbiased...There was one negative experience when the dosage listed on my prescription was different than what was on their plan. She handled the situation ok by calling me to reassure me the dosage would not affect the results but didn't take the ownership of her (or the nurses) mistake.
Scheduling [at The Fertility Center] is a pain! Sometimes it is easy to get in and other times it is difficult. Since I was working at the time I had to take time off for appointments frequently since they had limited appointments. For IVF you had to schedule 2 or 3 months in advance so be aware of that...Overall the nursing staff was very competent. They are dealing with a lot of patients so sometimes they had to clarify some things in order to get an accurate response.
I enjoyed having Valerie as my doctor. There was one negative experience when the dosage listed on my prescription was different than what was on their plan. She handled the situation ok by calling me to reassure me the dosage would not affect the results but didn't take the ownership of her (or the nurses) mistake.
Ask lots of questions because she will answer it thoroughly but doesn't necessarily go over everything if not asked. Be proactive of your care because she will be willing to take the next steps if you want.
Valerie would call me personally if I asked which I was pleasantly pleased with. She let me be the deciding factor on all the decisions. She never pushed her opinions on me or forced me into a decision. She was always completely unbiased. (Unlike Dr. Young who I saw once for an ultrasound who was very judgemental).
I don't remember all of it but for the IVF procedure I was put on Lupron to start, then took estrace pills, after the transfer I began IM progesterone.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Scheduling is a pain! Sometimes it is easy to get in and other times it is difficult. Since I was working at the time I had to take time off for appointments frequently since they had limited appointments. For IVF you had to schedule 2 or 3 months in advance so be aware of that.
Embryo retrieval/1 fresh transfer was $10,000. Frozen embryo transfer $2500 IUI was $400
She left this decision up to use. The first time we chose for 2, which she recommended. The second time we chose 1 which she supported. We were given the information that with a transfer of 2 embryos it was a 45-50% chance of pregnancy but they didn't have any statistics for an embryo transfer of 1.
Treated 2016 - 2017
Time with Dr. Shavell is great. I only wish there were more appointments with her(that you were not charged extra for) and not support staff so it would be easier to ask questions directly to her. She definitely listens and addresses all concerns when you are with her. And she is also good at explaining anything you don't understand....After failed clomid cycles with obgyn, dr. Shavell ran testing that included HSG, blood tests, ultrasound and SA for my spouse.
Beautiful facilities [at The Fertility Center] (Mason and Grand Rapids locations). All very minimal wait times....Nursing staff has been great and I have no complaints....$500 for IUI with SA/Wash....Time with Dr. Shavell is great. I only wish there were more appointments with her(that you were not charged extra for) and not support staff so it would be easier to ask questions directly to her. She definitely listens and addresses all concerns when you are with her.
Come prepared with your questions because direct one on one time with her is valuable time.
Dr. Shavell is very kind and sweet manored so she makes you feel as though you really matter and she wants to help figure out what's best for you.
After failed clomid cycles with obgyn, dr. Shavell ran testing that included HSG, blood tests, ultrasound and SA for my spouse. Determined that IUI was the best next step. IUI #1 was 2.5mg Femara on CD 3-7, ovidrel trigger on CD17 with 2 mature follicles and IUI on CD19, cycle ended on 12dpIUI. IUI #2 was 5mg Femara on CD 3-7, ovidrel trigger on CD17 with 1 mature follicle and IUI on CD19, cycle ended on 12dpIUI. Our next plan of action is a more agressive IUI with either metformin, Femara and ovidrel or injectable meds like menopur, gonal f or follistim and then ovidrel and IUI; since the femara and ovidrel are working but not good enough. My spouse is also on clomid for his male infertility issues.
Nursing staff has been great and I have no complaints.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Beautiful facilities (Mason and Grand Rapids locations). All very minimal wait times.
We have approximately 50% fertility related coverage however 0% of IUI and IVF are covered. So those additionally out of pocket costs were reasonable. $500 for IUI with SA/Wash.
Mason
Dr. Shavell is very honest and gives me the facts - which I love. She is willing to try different things to get us where we need to be to have children. She is very intelligent and understands the fertility field. My only complaint is with the amount of testing she wanted done, we had to pay everything completely out of pocket, which got frustrating. But I was honest with her and told her we needed to save money, so she adjusted her plan.
[Fertility Center of MI's] Strengths - the clinic has been around since the 90s and is very successful in what they do. They are willing to try new things to get patients where they'd like to be. Weakness - it's very pricey and the tests cost a lot of money out of pocket. They don't take many insurance plans.... Everyone is very nice at the Fertility Center. They know the patients by name and understand it's a hard reason patients are there, so they are very sensitive and kind.
Be honest about your financial needs up front.
She is very open to my suggestions and listens to everything I've gone through.
So far we have done clomid cycles at 50mg per month days 5-9 with no luck.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
$100 deposit for initial appointment which costs over $300. After that, we paid different amounts each appointment.
No strong opinion, it is up to us.
Grand Rapids
She [Dr. Valerie Shavell] has been nice, kind and answered questions. She explained things nicely but blunt. I felt she could of been a little more compassionate and give more information at our second appointment...So far we have done one round of Clomid monitored, one round not, hoping to do another. I believe it was a basic fertility treatment and she told us IVF was not an option due to my age...I feel a little like based on my age she used a standard protocol with little to basic testing...I hope in the future they expand more options and ideas for women in their 40’s. For a new patient the first appointment is overwhelming! You will walk out on overload.
The nursing staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] has been amazing, compassionate, always kind when I feel I have a stupid question, give explanation and make sure I am okay with what’s going on...The overall staff is very pleasant, the clinic is clean and comfortable. I hope in the future they expand more options and ideas for women in their 40’s. For a new patient the first appointment is overwhelming! You will walk out on overload. Have questions with you written down, do reading before so you have an idea of some of the suggestions...So far we have done one round of Clomid monitored, one round not, hoping to do another. I believe it was a basic fertility treatment and she told us IVF was not an option due to my age. Nursing Staff
She has been nice, kind and answered questions. She explained things nicely but blunt. I felt she could of been a little more compassionate and give more information at our second appointment. I have not had any other experience with other doctors to compare her to.
I would say have lots of questions, do research on what you are wondering about, and know that she’s very kind but somewhat blunt.
She has been very kind but I feel a little like based on my age she used a standard protocol with little to basic testing.
The nursing staff has been amazing, compassionate, always kind when I feel I have a stupid question, give explanation and make sure I am okay with what’s going on
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Our insurance does not cover much for fertility clinic
Treated 2016 - 2017
Overall, I feel Dr Shavell is very knowledgeable and compassionate toward her patients. She was very empathetic when I was experiencing my miscarriage. However, some appointments with her felt rushed at times. She did ask though if I had any questions at the end of appointments...Treatment strategies I used with Dr. Shavell include Femara and some cycles with Ovidrel added also. I originally began Femara at the 5 mg dosage and based on the number of follicles I was producing, she asked if I would like to increase my dosage up to 7.5mg. I did that and it did increase the number of follicles I produced.
Some nurses [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] were very sympathetic when I was going through my miscarriage. However, there were others that weren't as compassionate about the situation. Overall, it can be tough to get ahold of the nursing staff and receive a call back from them in a timely manner...Appointments seem to usually be running on time and they usually have appointment opening on the day I call or the next day. Their offices are nice and clean but the locations aren't the most convenient...Occasionally, I would have to call them in order to get bloodwork results. Some nurses weren't always able to interpret the results and give me information on precisely what my results were indicating.
Come prepared with any potential questions you may have.
Some nurses were very sympathetic when I was going through my miscarriage. However, there were others that weren't as compassionate about the situation. Overall, it can be tough to get ahold of the nursing staff and receive a call back from them in a timely manner.
Treated 2018 - 2019
She [Dr. Valerie Shavell] is very compassionate, answers all questions, and made sure we were comfortable with the plan. She ordered tests to try to find a cause for my recurrent miscarriage, but we didn’t find anything. I do wish she would’ve done further testing.... Femara followed by an ultrasound to monitor follicles and Ovidrel to stimulate ovulation. She added Estradiol due to thin lining and Crinone after ovulation. I did get pregnant that cycle but unfortunately miscarried.
They [the nursing staff at The Fertility Center] were very helpful and called promptly with results.... I did not find Dr. Dodds to be at all compassionate or professional. We had a very poor experience with him following our fourth loss. It also seems there is a lack of communication among nursing staff regarding change of plans.... We used oral medications with timed intercourse and insurance covered most of the cost but do not cover IVF.
She is very compassionate, answers all questions, and made sure we were comfortable with the plan. She ordered tests to try to find a cause for my recurrent miscarriage, but we didn’t find anything. I do wish she would’ve done further testing.
Don’t be scared to ask questions. She is very compassionate and willing to answer.
She took the time to empathize with my situation and ask how I would like to proceed.
They were very helpful and called promptly with results.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I do not have experience.
Grand Rapids
Nice and kind. She [Dr. Shavell] gave me my treatment plan for the next month in ways I understood. ... You won’t see the actual doctor much so make sure when you do you ask all the questions you can. ... I have only seen or talked to the doctor 2 times in several months. ... Femara 2.5 days 3-7 first month, then 5mg second month, and 7.5mg third month. IUI at any time. CD 12 ultrasounds every month
I feel the nurses [The Fertility Center] pretty much run the show and give out all the advice. It’s hard when you don’t feel listened to and have to make an actual appointment to get answers from the doctor. ... I sometimes felt they [nurses] weren’t listening to my concerns. I had to make an appointment with my doctor to talk about what’s next because they didn’t seem to know what to do.
Nice and kind. She gave me my treatment plan for the next month in ways I understood. I wish I could see her over Dr. Thakur. I hope they can get down to the bottom of why I can’t conceive. This is probably one of the most frustrating journeys of my life and I hope they can fix it
Overall good. I sometimes felt they weren’t listening to my concerns. I had to make an appointment with my doctor to talk about what’s next because they didn’t seem to know what to do.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I really feel like the doctor should be more present in the patient’s care. I have only seen or talked to the doctor 2 times in several months. Maybe that’s how they keeps costs down I don’t know. I feel the nurses pretty much run the show and give out all the advice. It’s hard when you don’t feel listened to and have to make an actual appointment to get answers from the doctor.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Forgot to call in my Ovidrel
The Fertility Center of Michigan
Grand Rapids - Women's Center/Downtown (closed)
Treated 2016 - 2017
Dr. Shavell seems very nice and soft spoken. Although I have only seen her a few short times. She gave us as much information as we'd like on all of the different types of procedures that might be right for us...She is very soft spoken and looks you right In the eye when talking to you....I did 3 months of clomid 50 mgdays 3-7 and ovidrel injection before iui with donor sperm. My first 2 iui's didn't work. My 3rd month was cancelled due to not good enough follicles.
The clinic [The Fertility Center] is super nice and I hardly ever have to wait. I've maybe waited 15 min before...I see the nurses often, mainly for everything. They do my ultrasounds and iui's. I have seen Erica a lot and I love her. She is so sweet, down to earth, and so compassionate....The cost is expensive but all healthcare is. So far since january we have probably spent $4000 and have not gotten pregnant yet....Dr. Shavell seems very nice and soft spoken. Although I have only seen her a few short times.
Do not have super high expectations for treatment working on the first try.
She is very soft spoken and looks you right In the eye when talking to you.
I did 3 months of clomid 50 mgdays 3-7 and ovidrel injection before iui with donor sperm. My first 2 iui's didn't work. My 3rd month was cancelled due to not good enough follicles. Now I am on my 4th month with clomid 100mg with ovidrel and iui with donor sperm again.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is super nice and I hardly ever have to wait. I've maybe waited 15 min before.
Treated 2016 - 2017
She [Dr. Valerie Shavell] is compassionate. She states the facts. She listens to your concerns. She is soft spoken. She is knowledgeable. She will reach out to you and check on you. She is optimistic. She takes the time to answer your questions.... I have DOR so we used an estrogen primed MDLF protocol. We did this to try to maximize the number of eggs collected. We retrieved 7 eggs, 2 became embryos, 1 is almost 3 months old and currently sleeping in my arms.
All of the doctors [at Fertility Center of Michigan] work for your care. They all are concerned for you. They are on time and efficient. Sometimes checking out took longer than I would have preferred. Other than that I can’t think of any weaknesses.... For IVF it was 12000 (that includes the medicine we ordered from other places).... They have a guide to how many eggs they transfer, but will discuss everything with you in case you have different preferences.
She is compassionate. She states the facts. She listens to your concerns. She is soft spoken. She is knowledgeable. She will reach out to you and check on you. She is optimistic. She takes the time to answer your questions.
Don’t be afraid to ask her any questions you have.
She called me to check on me when I was concerned.
They were friendly, patient, kind, and helpful.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
All of the doctors work for your care. They all are concerned for you. They are on time and efficient. Sometimes checking out took longer than I would have preferred. Other than that I can’t think of any weaknesses.
For IVF it was 12000 (that includes the medicine we ordered from other places).
Treated 2014 - 2015
Dr. Shavell was great at explaining everything and she was very kind. She only did one of my ultrasounds before IUI and that is the time I got pregnant. It makes me wonder if that was a factor in me getting pregnant vs. the nurse doing the ultrasound and determining the course of action. I wish that Dr. Shavell did it each time...She was very kind and explained everything in as much detail as I wanted. She made sure I was aware of all of the options I had and was respectful of the options I did not want to try.
Never had to wait for very long [at The Fertility Center - Grand Rapids]. I think the longest I waited in the waiting room was 10 minutes, which is unheard of for a doctor's office. It was easy to schedule and billing was easy...They were all very kind and helpful. The only negative I can think of is that they had a really hard time with my ultrasounds each time and it was pretty painful.
It is a hard road, but don't be afraid to ask questions.
I used Femara because Clomid wasn't working for me. My husband also used Fertilaid. I also had to inject Ovidril when they told me to. Lastly, she had us do IUI. We were not comfortable with IVF, so this was the best course of action for us.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Never had to wait for very long. I think the longest I waited in the waiting room was 10 minutes, which is unheard of for a doctor's office. It was easy to schedule and billing was easy.
We ended up spending around $10,000.

Treated 2015 - 2016
Difficult as she [Dr. Valerie Shavell] did not provide treatment to me, but the nurse or doctor that worked at the time I was ovulating. Hard to work with so many different professionals but understand why it had to be that way...Hadn’t worked with many singles at the time I worked with them. May have changed now...Spoke to me in caring manner
[The nurses at The Fertility Center of Michigan] Seemed to communicate well with each other so everyone was on the same page about my treatment...Hadn’t worked with many singles at the time I worked with them. May have changed now. Not open on Sundays which is a significant issue; if you’re ready then, they’re closed. Now connected with Spectrum which is helpful for me.
Difficult as she did not provide treatment to me, but the nurse or doctor that worked at the time I was ovulating. Hard to work with so many different professionals but understand why it had to be that way.
Request to have a consult after every failed attempt.
Spoke to me in caring manner
I do not recall
Don’t recall
Didn’t have this
Treated 2015 - 2018
Currently, we are using a hybrid cycle approach (Baseline ultraound CD 1-3 to check for cysts , Letrozole CD 3-7, Gonal F CD 7-9, Mid cycle ultrasound to check on follical growth and trigger shot (ovidrel) when ready to trigger for ovulation) for IUI [with Dr. Valerie Shavell]...I didn't feel the treatment was very personal...was very quiet in her demeanor which left me feeling patronized. Other than that, she is an excellent Dr, very knowledgeable and very honest in her approach. I would recommend her, and the other Dr. at the Fertility Clinic without a doubt.
Clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] had excellent communication, honest staff, and were open reasonable hours. I would say weaknesses would be hours of operation - for those working 8-5pm this means taking considerable amounts of time off of work due to there being no hours of operation prior to or after standard business hours...[nurses were] Very polite, through, and honest. Personable and took time to answer any and all questions I had - which was A LOT!
Dr. Shavell was very quiet in her demeanor which left me feeling patronized. Other than that, she is an excellent Dr, very knowledgeable and very honest in her approach. I would recommend her, and the other Dr. at the Fertility Clinic without a doubt.
Be aware she is a quiet speaker and you are more than able to ask any questions you'd like, she will answer them honestly; without causing you to feel "stupid".
I didn't feel the treatment was very personal
Currently, we are using a hybrid cycle approach (Baseline ultraound CD 1-3 to check for cysts , Letrozole CD 3-7, Gonal F CD 7-9, Mid cycle ultrasound to check on follical growth and trigger shot (ovidrel) when ready to trigger for ovulation) for IUI. We went this route and were approved for up to 3x IUI then moving on to IVF due to my age (35).
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Clinic had excellent communication, honest staff, and were open reasonable hours. I would say weaknesses would be hours of operation - for those working 8-5pm this means taking considerable amounts of time off of work due to there being no hours of operation prior to or after standard business hours.
Cost have been industry standard.
I do not have comments on this area at this time as we are not at this stage yet.
Treated 2017 - 2019
I felt that she was very compassionate, but at times could’ve been a bit more direct about the treatment and my diagnosis. I never really knew I had PCOS in the beginning or really what it meant for my journey. ... Dr. Shavell has always taken the time to talk to my husband throughout our journey. Because of her and the tenure staff at The Fertility Center we were blessed with our son.
The clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is staffed with very knowledgeable doctors and nurses. Every one there really roots for your success and jumps in to support you on your journey. At times it was hard to schedule time sensitive apts bc of my very demanding work schedule and that added a great deal of stress on my plate. The receptionist didn’t seem very understanding.
Ask questions and evaluate all of your options
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is staffed with very knowledgeable doctors and nurses. Every one there really roots for your success and jumps in to support you on your journey. At times it was hard to schedule time sensitive apts bc of my very demanding work schedule and that added a great deal of stress on my plate. The receptionist didn’t seem very understanding.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Efficient, well oiled machine
Treated 2014 - 2017
Dr Shavell is calm and compassionate but not always super reassuring. She doesn’t holdback on explaining low chances of success but ultimately we were successful. She’s a realist and I probably needed more handholding. ... She is pretty direct without a lot of hand holding but does a good job. ... She gave good options for multiple embryos for transfer given my age. ... Clovis and Gemara for IUIs that didn’t work. Gonal F and lots of it for IVF.
You end up a number really until you move to IVF. They [Fertility Center of MI] are high volume and relatively low cost and effective. You only see docs for consult and IVF retrieval and transfer everything else is the nurses. ... A time or two the calls to the mail pharmacy needed to be more timely. ... Fantastic [nurse]! Sandy is why we made it through! ... Rely on her [Dr. Shavell] nurses for the handholding and the optimism and consoling.
Rely on her nurses for the handholding and the optimism and consoling.
She is pretty direct without a lot of hand holding but does a good job.
Clovis and Gemara for IUIs that didn’t work. Gonal F and lots of it for IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sandy)
Fantastic! Sandy is why we made it through!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
You end up a number really until you move to IVF. They are high volume and relatively low cost and effective. You only see docs for consult and IVF retrieval and transfer everything else is the nurses.
$15,000 including meds for IVF
She gave good options for multiple embryos for transfer given my age.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
A time or two the calls to the mail pharmacy needed to be more timely.
Grand Rapids
The next cycle she [Dr. Shavell] bumped my clomid dose up to 150 because it still wasn't helping the follicles to develop any sooner or bigger than it had at the 100. That definitely worked. At the next middle ultrasound, I had three good sized follicles instead of only one small one...She took the time to both ask and answer questions about my husband and I. We both felt valued and hopeful after having our consultation visit. She knew exactly which steps we should take next and we both felt confident in her knowledge, abilities and understanding of where we were currently at in our infertility journey.
The fertility center has been super helpful in letting me get lab work done at a place covered by my insurance, so that im not incurring unnecessary costs. They also recommended a cheaper pharmacy that I could get the Ovidrel shot from.(It wasn't covered by my insurance.) I went from paying $170 for the shot to $90...the IUIs that I've done were each $600 out of pocket...This Clinic knows their stuff! They are also just incredibly personable, friendly, compassionate, upbeat people. I definitely felt well guided and cared for during any treatment that I've received there. They help cultivate hope for your situation. I feel very relaxed at this clinic.
When we met with her the first time, we were impressed by her professional manner and knowledge of the process. She was very good at answering the questions that we both had, as well as making questions of us. She made us feel hopeful about our ability to be able to eventually conceive and made us feel like we had many options and possibilities yet to pursue. She has a very calming demeanor, which for me was maybe a little too clam. Where I definitely appreciate that you need to exude peace in what can be a stressful situation in people's lives, I personally love when doctors can make you feel like they understand the particular situation that you're in and still express an upbeat fun attitude. That being said, she was very nice and gentle with the way she talked and discussed different treatment options with us.
Be prepared to feel like you have a wealth of possibilities that you gain from her knowledge. You'll definitely feel like your being cared for and helped, but don't expect an excess of laughter or jokes. She seems to be very calm, steady and even keeled.
After our consultation visit, she decided to do some more lab work that we hadn't previously had yet...testing the ovarian reserve, my thyroid levels and a couple other things that I can't remember. She also decide to increase the dose of Clomid that I had previously been taking from my OB/GYN. (Which is where we started out in this process.) We went from 50 to 100. She also had me schedule a mid cycle ultrasound to measure the developing follicles and thickness of the uterine lining. By upping the dose, she was hoping to stimulate a better response from my follicles than what I had been getting on just the 50. I was also told about the trigger shot ovidrel, and used that to push ovulation. The first Cycle like that we did with just timed intercourse. The next cycle she bumped my clomid dose up to 150 because it still wasn't helping the follicles to develop any sooner or bigger than it had at the 100. That definitely worked. At the next middle ultrasound, I had three good sized follicles instead of only one small one. We moved on to an IUI that cycle...still with the Ovidrel. A nurse in the office actually performed the IUI, not the doctor herself. That both of those cycles ended with a negative pregnancy test. We are currently coming to the end of our third cycle with this Doctor and office. This cycle we did all the same things, 150 cComid, Ovidrel, IUI. (Just one follicle this time, but still on the bigger side.) The only thing that changed this time is that during the mid cycle ultrasound it was noticed that my lining was on the thinner side, so I was prescribe esterase tablets to take vaginally to help thicken the lining. I started taking them cycle day 12 and am still taking them now on cycle day 19. I was advised to take them until I take a pregnancy test..which will be soon. That being said, we don't know the results yet of this current treatment cycle.
The nursing staff at the fertility center are incredible. They are overflowing with compassion. I was almost shocked by the amount of care and concern they showed the first time I had to call in because I had started my period after our first treatment cycle. I felt very cared for and even comforted. For the most part, all of the nurses are warm, compassionate and fun. They are also very knowledgeable and confident in helping you or answering any questions that arise. The nurse I had for my first IUI was so great and talking me through the process and calming any nerves that I had. Great nursing staff!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
My insurance only covered half the cost of ultrasounds and lab work only if it was done somewhere else and then sent to the Fertility center. The fertility center has been super helpful in letting me get lab work done at a place covered by my insurance, so that im not incurring unnecessary costs. They also recommended a cheaper pharmacy that I could get the Ovidrel shot from.(It wasn't covered by my insurance.) I went from paying $170 for the shot to $90. The ultrasounds cost me about $100 after the insurance and the IUIs that I've done were each $600 out of pocket.
Treated 2016 - 2017
Dr. Shavelle stayed on topic- didn’t ask too many personal questions outside of the topic of fertility issues. Very matter of fact and to the point. However, I felt that she was definitely on a mission to help us achieve our dreams....She explains procedures well, and seeks to answer any and all questions clearly. During consultation appointments, my husband and I never felt rushed or like we were taking up too much of her time.
Nurses [Fertility Ctr of MI] were very close compassionate- I felt listened too, but also had a clear understanding of next steps....At first, you do feel “like a number” because they are very focused on fixing your fertility issues- not too many personal questions were asked of us outside of fertility. However, this was more of a comfort for me because I felt that they wanted to treat my issues ASAP and that I wasn’t alone (many people also experiencing fertility issues right along with me!)
As stated earlier- she is to the point, but caring and “on your team”. She explains procedures well, and seeks to answer any and all questions clearly. During consultation appointments, my husband and I never felt rushed or like we were taking up too much of her time. She didn’t ask too many personal questions outside of the medical/fertility issues, but I believe that’s because she’s very focused on getting you treatment as quickly and efficiently as possible. I fully trusted her.
Come with questions ready to go at appointments, but don’t hesitate to call the office if you have questions after the fact. She and the team are all very helpful.
Dr. Shavelle stayed on topic- didn’t ask too many personal questions outside of the topic of fertility issues. Very matter of fact and to the point. However, I felt that she was definitely on a mission to help us achieve our dreams. Also, I didn’t mind “feeling like a number” at some points. It made me feel not so alone- that other people had issues just like we did.
I did 3 rounds of clomid with ultrasound monitoring appointments and times intercourse. This did not result in pregnancy. Then, after another consultation appointment, I did 2 rounds of Gonal-F injections with IUI (I requested IUI). On the third (and what would have been last round before proceeding to more aggressive treatment) I did injections and no IUI (it was cancelled because follicles were believed to be on blocked side), and I ended up with a positive pregnancy test!
Nurses were very close compassionate- I felt listened too, but also had a clear understanding of next steps.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
My insurance covered medications and all appointments (including monitoring with ultrasound). The only thing we paid for out of pocket was the 2 IUI procedures ($500 each).
Did not receive this treatment.
Treated 2014
Dr. [Shavell] was very professional, but not very personable. I’m sure it is not fun giving your patients potentially bad news. To me though she seemed unsympathetic . Having worked in the care field for close to thirty years I would have liked to have felt more concern and compassion for what we were feeling and going through.... First we tried a cycle of IVI then we were doing shots and monitoring eggs and having timed intercourse
Everyone [at Fertility Center of Michigan] you came in contact with was friendly and made you feel welcome from the first person you saw when you walked in, to the last person as you were leaving. They easily assessable via phone calls and knowledgeable... They [nurses] always answered all our questions, were friendly and compassionate.... Dr. Shaved was very professional, but not very personable. I’m sure it is not fun giving your patients potentially bad news. To me though she seemed unsympathetic .
Dr. Shaved was very professional, but not very personable. I’m sure it is not fun giving your patients potentially bad news. To me though she seemed unsympathetic . Having worked in the care field for close to thirty years I would have liked to have felt more concern and compassion for what we were feeling and going through. I would definitely go there again but I would Ask to see a different Dr..
Be prepared for her to be very candid.
Staff was always very personable.
They always answered all our questions, were friendly and compassionate.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Everyone you came in contact with was friendly and made you feel welcome from the first person you saw when you walked in, to the last person as you were leaving. They easily assessable via phone calls and knowledgeable .
My insurance covered the fee to see the doctor, covered part of the IVF procedure and part of the ultra sound fee. The cost of treatment was definitely a major road block for us
Grand Rapids

I was given the option to either do a single or multiple embryo transfer [by Dr. Valerie Shavell]...I felt as though my opinions mattered and that ultimately I was able to help make the decisions for myself...I felt as though my provider listened to my concerns and looked into my medical record to get a full background so that my consultation wasn’t a waste of time. She also called me personally to discuss some of my lab results and went over the next steps with me which was very helpful.
Strengths [of The Fertility Center of Michigan] are being very timely to get back with lab results and communicate what the next steps are. When I called the clinic with concerns I was take seriously and I was gotten in to the clinic for a follow up quickly...The nursing staff provided a lot of information that was helpful and they made it clear that if you ever had any questions to not be afraid to call...Some costs that seemed to be optional ended up being costs that were required for successful treatment
Be honest and tell them what’s really on your mind.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Strengths are being very timely to get back with lab results and communicate what the next steps are. When I called the clinic with concerns I was take seriously and I was gotten in to the clinic for a follow up quickly.
I was given the option to either do a single or multiple embryo transfer
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I was told to start on a medication but it was never called into the pharmacy.