4.8

Kalamazoo
317 South Drake Rd
Kalamazoo, MI 49009

Treated 2015 - 2020
One week before the transfer, we discovered my remaining tube now was blocked and had hydro. She [Dr. Valerie Shavell] did another laparoscopy to remove it. And we are waiting for Covid to be stable before doing the transfer our last two remaining embryos...She seems to prefer two embryos while giving the risks of multiple pregnancies but letting us know that the success rates are higher with transferring two vs one...She was extremely sympathetic while waiting for an imminent miscarriage. She has great bedside manner and expresses empathy for the ups and downs of the process.
IUIs - a couple hundred each [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]...IVF retrieval with fresh - $8000 plus meds...frozen transfer - $4500 plus meds...The whole process takes longer than you want it to. 2 months for the consult, then the testing might take a month or two to do labs at certain times of your cycle. There is a small month or two wait list for IVF and it all depends on where you are in your cycle too. The clinic is well run, everyone is super friendly and supportive.
How was your experience with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Shavell was fantastic from the very beginning. I've done three IUIs, one egg retrieval, and three transfers that have resulted in my two children. We are currently under her care for another transfer for hopefully baby #3. She doesn't rush to the next treatment unless she feels it's the right move, included us in the decisions as well. She's performed two laparoscopy surgeries on me and has been very attentive to an issues or questions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
She is a bit softer spoken. But she answers all questions thoroughly and is extremely empathetic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the protocols Valerie Shavell used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
We did three IUIs while knowing that one tube was blocked and the other was damaged. It felt okay trying this before going to IVF. Before IVF, she removed the blocked tub because it had hydro in it. We did an egg retrieval and fresh transfer of two embryos that resulted in a singleton pregnancy that resulted in a miscarriage at 11 weeks. We did a fresh transfer of two embryos that resulted in a twin pregnancy, but we lost one baby at 9 weeks, but it resulted in my healthy first born daughter. We returned two years later and did another frozen transfer of two embryos that resulted in my second healthy daughter. We are currently under care for another transfer. One week before the transfer, we discovered my remaining tube now was blocked and had hydro. She did another laparoscopy to remove it. And we are waiting for Covid to be stable before doing the transfer our last two remaining embryos.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Very easy to communicate via phone or message. Answered all my questions that came and got me in contact with the dr as needed.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
IUIs - a couple hundred each IVF retrieval with fresh - $8000 plus meds frozen transfer - $4500 plus meds
Describe Valerie Shavell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I had called on cycle day 1 and was to start meds on cycle day 21, at one point I called for another reason and they acted surprised that I had started meds. It appears like a nurse didn't record my cycle day 1 notes and that she had given me a start date for the meds. Everything was fine, they did have me scheduled for that month and everything proceeded fine.

Treated 2017 - 2019
Dr. Shavell was very thorough from the very first consultation. ... When it was time to delve into the more difficult news, the information was provided in an informing and caring manner. ... The laparoscopy resulted in finding and removing stage 2 endometriosis. Dr. Shavell wanted to try IUI again now that we found a potential cause. ... Everything looked just fine for implantation and the mock transfer went smoothly as well.
The billing department and front desk staff [The Fertility Center of MI] have had billing miscommunications within their computer system. The front desk staff would have us pay off our entire balance and then I'd receive a bill for services we already paid for and they would say what we paid must have been applied to a different procedure balance. No one could actually identify the issue so we just paid what they said we owed and we haven't had a problem since.
Dr. Shavell was very thorough from the very first consultation. There was a lot of information to take in but it provided me with everything I needed to know and to further research myself. Any questions resulting from my research and conversations with others in similar situations were always received positively and answered appropriately no matter how silly some questions may have sounded. She was more available to the nurses than me, however. She did not conduct the 7 IUIs but still communicated with the nurses before starting the next round. Although she was not available to conduct my laparoscopy, she did my pre-op and post-op and made sure I was very comfortable and doing well. Most recently she did my sonohysterogram and mock embryo transfer and was very gentle and calming through the discomfort. She ensured all parts were in working fashion to proceed with IVF in the coming month.
If you feel like you need a face to face meeting, do not be scared to call and make the appointment. It can be difficult playing phone tag with the nurses who have to communicate with the doctors and then back to you. It can be time consuming, especially if you miss phone calls due to work or other daily activities.
Dr. Shavell was always kind and sensitive to the nature of our conversations. When it was time to delve into the more difficult news, the information was provided in an informing and caring manner. Our meetings weren't rushed. After providing a certain amount of information she always asked if I had any questions instead of dumping a ton of information at once and waiting until the end to ask if I had questions. It is always difficult to remember so much, but with the breaks for questioning between information, it made it feel more human and personable.
The first test I had completed was an HSG. Everything looked perfect with no signs of obstructions. Dr. Shavell mentioned there is some research showing women getting pregnant in the following three months. Unfortunately that was not the case for me. We started a cycle of clomid in December 2017 with a trigger shot of Ovidrel followed with an IUI. A negative pregnancy was the result. We continued with the same protocol for 3 more IUIs. Dr. Shavell provided statistics that show IUIs increasing positive outcomes after 3 IUIs, again they all resulted in negative pregnancy tests. We had a meeting with Dr. Shavell to discuss the next steps. She stated she would like to see my egg quantity and quality response with a protocol of pills and injectables with IUI. We switched to letrozole pills as I started having very bad headaches and long lasting nausea with clomid, and added Gonal F 75 IU daily, triggered with ovidrel followed with IUI. We did this for 2 rounds and both resulted in negative pregnancy tests. However, there was an increase in the number of follicles and size. At this point I could not continue to see negative tests and chose to take a month off. We met again and discussed having a laparoscopy to inspect the outside of my anatomy. We had a good pre-op conversation consisting of laparoscopy information and IVF information. The laparoscopy resulted in finding and removing stage 2 endometriosis. Dr. Shavell wanted to try IUI again now that we found a potential cause. We did IUI with letrozole, gonal f, and ovidrel. Another negative pregnancy test. That was the final IUI. Being that I was provided with IVF information a few months prior, I decided to schedule an IVF consultation in January 2019. The meeting was with an IVF nurse and she provided all the procedures,medication, and protocol information Dr. Shavell wants me to do. I was scheduled for a Sonohysterogram and mock embryo transfer with Dr. Shavell February 7, 2019. Here she wanted to get a better view of inside the uterus to ensure there weren't fibroids, polyps, scar tissue or other abnormalities that would prevent implantation. Everything looked just fine for implantation and the mock transfer went smoothly as well. Dr. Shavell will carry out my egg retrieval and embryo transfer in March 2019.
The nursing staff was fairly easy to communicate with. In most cases I left voicemails for them and they would call back. Some of my messages may have been long and it seemed like they may not have listened to all of it at times. Regardless, they still answered my questions after getting them on the phone and mentioning it again. The nurses carried out the IUIs and were as gentle as possible and comforting. They were able to provide information regarding the seman sample prewash and postwash prior to the IUI. The IVF nurse who did my IVF consult was very thorough and informative.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic has a lot of staff so you may not always be familiar with who you are speaking to. The billing department and front desk staff have had billing miscommunications within their computer system. The front desk staff would have us pay off our entire balance and then I'd receive a bill for services we already paid for and they would say what we paid must have been applied to a different procedure balance. No one could actually identify the issue so we just paid what they said we owed and we haven't had a problem since. The clinic is very clean and well organized. Be aware, that some fertility clinics have separate areas for those with no children and not pregnant and those who have children or currently pregnant, this is not one of those clinics. You will frequently walk into the waiting room where there are multiple children per family. Anyone of the more sensitive nature may feel uncomfortable.
We do not have infertility insurance, however we do have coverage for monitoring and some procedures such as the HSG and laparoscopy which resulted in significant savings. Ultrasounds performed at one of their smaller locations (Mason) were typically $180 or $75 after insurance. However, if it was one of the Doctors that did the ultrasound as an ultrasound technician wasn't available, an extra $30 was added. If they were done at the Grand Rapids office, regardless of who did it, an extra $30 was tacked on. The bill would show it as a meeting, even though no meeting took place, it was just the ultrasound. IUIs were out of pocket. For the semen wash and the procedure it was $500 per IUI, we did this 4 times. Pricing changed and the IUIs were then $600 per, we did this 3 more times. The laparoscopy was a reasonable and fair price. For IVF, we will be paying $9,867 just for the procedures. This price includes the $1,850 we paid for a case management fee. We have a $8,017 balance due at the end of February 2019.
Dr. Shavell provided statistics on the success rates of single vs. Multiple embryo transfer along with specific criteria as to why a two embryo transfer is ideal for me. As I do not meat criteria for increased high risk pregnancy, we both agreed a two embryo transfer is ideal. She made sure to discuss the possibility of selective aborting if there were more than 2 or 3 developing babies.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
The only issue was a billing issue. The front desk provided a remaining balance for specific procedures while the billing department had a different balance for those same procedures. We simply paid the billing departments balance and haven't had an issue since. Although no one could pinpoint exactly what procedures were outstanding balances when our receipts showed they were all paid. We basically paid just so it didn't drag on.
Treated 2014 - 2019
Embryo Freezing
We are on our second round of testing through Yale doing the Endometrial Function Test [with Dr. Shavell]...treating the endometriosis by doing 2 months of Lupron prior to testing month. We are also adjusting estrogen and progesterone doses...is super compassionate. You can also tell that she wants to hear from you, how you are feeling and what your concerns are. She will take what you are saying and will fully consider how it could potentially be affecting your treatment. I also feel as if she has never given up on us, even though we have not yet been able to concieve. She continues to sign to try to figure it out.
When I first started going to the clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] it felt unorganized. Since then, I have noticed that they have done a good job about putting out surveys and I feel as if they have really taken the information and made changes. The last couple of years have been much better...For the most part the nurses in the office are nothing but excellent. There have been times however where I have felt as if they were not familiar with my case or where I was with my protocol. When I would ask questions I felt as if rather than reviewing my filing and getting be solid information, I would receive some guess work. This has only happened a couple of times. For the most part they are on the ball.
As a patient, I would highly recommend her. She is well educated and compassionate. She has an awesome bed sideanner and you truly feel like she is listening. She also has so e a great job of trying to figure our case out by tapping into the knowledge of her partners and other fertility clinic.
When you do get time with her, ensure you write down all of your questions before hand so you don't forget anything. She is great but you don't get a ton of one on one time with her.
Dr. Shavelle is super compassionate. You can also tell that she wants to hear from you, how you are feeling and what your concerns are. She will take what you are saying and will fully consider how it could potentially be affecting your treatment. I also feel as if she has never given up on us, even though we have not yet been able to concieve. She continues to sign to try to figure it out.
Round 1 -Egg retrieval and fresh transfer using Gonal F, Menpur, and Cetrotide. - chemical pregnancy Round 2 Frozen embryo transfer using Lupron, Estrace, Progesterone. - negative Round 3 - Frozen embryo transfer using Lupron, Estrace, and resistant uterine protocol of ibuprofen, Xanax, prednisone. - negative Round 4 - Frozen embryo transfer, stimulation cycle using gonal. Thought was that I responded better to stimulation rather than suppression - negative Round 5 - Did an Endometrial Receptivity test prior to frozen embryo transfer. Showed I needed 12 less hours of prednisone if following previously used stimulation protocol. Negative Round 6 - Full retrieval with PGS testing of embryos followed by a frozen embryo transfer with previously suggested protocol from ERA. Negative Round 7 - yet to transfer. We are on our second round of testing through Yale doing the Endometrial Function Test. First round showed potential endometriosis and that I was taking too much progesterone. With this second round of testing we are treating the endometriosis by doing 2 months of Lupron prior to testing month. We are also adjusting estrogen and progesterone doses.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
When I first started going to the clinic it felt unorganized. Since then, I have noticed that they have done a good job about putting out surveys and I feel as if they have really taken the information and made changes. The last couple of years have been much better.
For all treatment thus far, we have spent almost $80,000.
Dr. Shavelle has always been very honest about how many embryos are recommended. It seems that the office has protocols as to how many they are willing to transfer in which situations.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
As previously mentioned, I believe that changes have been made in the last couple of years to help make the clinic more well run and organized. There was one time where the MA failed to send in my prescription refill. There was one time where a nurse did not understand my particular case and gave me wrong medication information. Other than that, they have been great.
Treated 2018 - 2019
[Dr. Shavell] has a very kind and caring demeanor. She is gentle while knowledgeable. I never felt like I was just another appointment in her book. She never seemed to be in a rush and always took time to answer our questions and give thorough explanations...We left every appointment feeling like we knew what was happening. Anytime we didn't get the result we wanted, she immediately came up with a plan of action which left us feeling confident, and in the end, got the result we wanted.
The entire staff at TFC were friendly, helpful, and professional...All of the staff are attentive and professional. The clinic itself is clean, organized, and welcoming. As my wife and I are a same-sex couple, we are always a little apprehensive about how we will be treated but this was absolutely a non-issue at TFC (thanks for the rainbow flag at the front desk!). We never had to wait too long for our appointments. Whether we were having a financial consultation, a sperm donor consultation, an ultrasound, or the procedure itself - we felt well taken care of and had an overall great experience.
Overall we had a great experience with Dr. Shavell. She has a very calming personality which is a huge positive for those undergoing something that is already anxiety-provoking, such as fertility treatments. She is thorough, knowledgeable, and always took the time to speak with us. She answered all questions no matter how big or small. We left every appointment feeling like we knew what was happening. Anytime we didn't get the result we wanted, she immediately came up with a plan of action which left us feeling confident, and in the end, got the result we wanted.
If you are looking for a doctor who is calm, warm, sympathetic, and attentive, Dr. Shavell would be a great fit for you. Her quiet nature is immediately calming and reassuring. If you prefer a doctor who is a little more firm or hard-lined, she would not be a good fit.
Dr. Shavell has a very kind and caring demeanor. She is gentle while knowledgeable. I never felt like I was just another appointment in her book. She never seemed to be in a rush and always took time to answer our questions and give thorough explanations.
We tried a natural cycle for our first IUI. Actually, I miscalculated my ovulation and when we went in for our mid-cycle ultrasound, we learned that I had already ovulated and it was too late. Dr. Shavell reassured us that we could try again the following cycle, which we did. She had me come in earlier, and quite often throughout the week, to track follicle growth to ensure we didn't miss the window of opportunity this time. I was prescribed the trigger shot (Ovidrell) to administer at midnight on a Saturday so that we could do the IUI on a Monday. Dr. Shavell was the one to perform the IUI. It was a simple and quick procedure. Unfortunately we did not get pregnant from that try. A few months later we tried for the 2nd time with similar protocol - ovulation tracking through an OPK in the mornings and then tracking follicle growth via ultrasound as the time grew closer. There was no need for a trigger shot this time; I ovulated on a Thursday morning and went in right away for the IUI (which was performed by a nurse, not Dr. Shavell). The nurse inserted a mesh plug after the procedure. Two weeks later we got our positive result!
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Francillia (Fran) Tavernier)
The entire staff at TFC were friendly, helpful, and professional. We worked the closest with Fran, who showed great communication and compassion. We really developed a positive relationship with her and felt like she truly cared about us and our journey. Fran was always available via phone or email and would check in with us often.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
TFC is a wonderful clinic. All of the staff are attentive and professional. The clinic itself is clean, organized, and welcoming. As my wife and I are a same-sex couple, we are always a little apprehensive about how we will be treated but this was absolutely a non-issue at TFC (thanks for the rainbow flag at the front desk!). We never had to wait too long for our appointments. Whether we were having a financial consultation, a sperm donor consultation, an ultrasound, or the procedure itself - we felt well taken care of and had an overall great experience.
We used all of the money from our wedding to cover our costs, so we did not have to pay out of pocket. If I had to do an overall estimate of the total cost, it would be about $10,000.

Treated 2014 - 2019
Dr. Shavell has a very gentle and patient bedside manner. She has a way of putting the anxious mind at ease and is very accommodating to any special needs...As a woman who has gone through several pregnancy losses, the promptness and compassion Dr. Shavell has shown me was invaluable. I am so grateful for all of her help and highly recommend her to anyone seeking thorough and compassionate treatment...has always honestly and thoroughly discussed my treatment options with me while demonstrating kindness and compassion. I was impressed by how thoroughly she reviewed and understood my particular infertility history prior to my initial consultation. She keeps in close communication with me and has always made me feel I could speak openly with her about my treatment plan.
The staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] is very friendly and compassionate. The nurses are highly trained and a good resource for patients with questions. They usually can get me in for my appointments at my requested time and have always been able to bring me in for same-day evaluations in emergent situations...The nursing staff was always friendly and available. They were well-educated and able to thoroughly answer my questions.
Dr. Shavell has always honestly and thoroughly discussed my treatment options with me while demonstrating kindness and compassion. I was impressed by how thoroughly she reviewed and understood my particular infertility history prior to my initial consultation. She keeps in close communication with me and has always made me feel I could speak openly with her about my treatment plan.
Dr. Shavell took the time to thoroughly review my fertility history and discuss my options in a kind, yet honest, manner. On multiple occasions she went above and beyond for me, including staying into the late hours of the evening to care for me after my surgery and arriving before her scheduled office hours to evaluate me for bleeding while I was pregnant. As a woman who has gone through several pregnancy losses, the promptness and compassion Dr. Shavell has shown me was invaluable. I am so grateful for all of her help and highly recommend her to anyone seeking thorough and compassionate treatment.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The staff is very friendly and compassionate. The nurses are highly trained and a good resource for patients with questions. They usually can get me in for my appointments at my requested time and have always been able to bring me in for same-day evaluations in emergent situations.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Valerie [Dr. Shavell] has always been very warm...In the beginning we did state we wanted to do embryo adoption right off the bat and were told to do 3 iuis first, which all failed which was discouraging. We wasted a lot of money and time for it not to work. But shavell has always been reassuring and positive!...First IUI was a natural cycle and it failed. Second cycle we used clomid and trigger shot, it was very hard to get through my uterus and ended up having to do an ultrasound, that cycle failed. Third cycle was clomid, estrace, and trigger shot with ultrasound guidance, that failed as well. All 3 cycles were with donor sperm. I just started week 2 of lupron shots as we start our frozen embryo adoption cycle.
They [staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan] are pretty good at listening to what the patient wants and what they expect. They have been known to run late, i think we've been taken back on time 3 times in total out of all of our apppintments. Front desk is always kind and knows us by name, billing had been a dream to work with, makes things easy! And the embryo RN has been unbelievable! She has really been there for us. We've emailed back and forth countless times, everytime my questions get answered.
Valerie has always been very warm anf compassionate. In the beginning we did state we wanted to do embryo adoption right off the bat and were told to do 3 iuis first, which all failed which was discouraging. We wasted a lot of money and time for it not to work. But shavell has always been reassuring and positive!
She is almost overly kind sometimes, but thats important when dealing with such sensitive topics.
Valerie always made time to talk with us, in person or via phone. She was kind and compassionate and never was trying to answer questions quickly just to get us iut the door.
Some were amazing, some were there because it is there job. But more good than bad.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Overall the clinic is very warm and inviting. They are currently short staffed, so it can take time to hear back from someone which can be hard at times but that is out of their control. They are pretty good at listening to what the patient wants and what they expect. They have been known to run late, i think we've been taken back on time 3 times in total out of all of our apppintments. Front desk is always kind and knows us by name, billing had been a dream to work with, makes things easy! And the embryo RN has been unbelievable! She has really been there for us. We've emailed back and forth countless times, everytime my questions get answered.
Expensive! But in Michigan most insurance doesn't over anything for infertility. Ive had 4 or 5 ultrasounds each being between $275-$350. 3 iuis each $550, multiple appointments ranging from $200-500 each time. Medications have been about $900 so far, male factor testing has been almost $2,000, my testing has been about the same at $2,000. We just paid almost $10,000 for embryo adoption.
Valerie recommended a single transfer due to my age but was VERY receptive that we wanted to transfer 2, and we will be transfering 2 hopefully in May
Grand Rapids
She [Dr. Shavell] talked me through my first IUI procedure as she did everything. She has the most calming voice I've ever heard. She is so nice and I am so glad I am seeing her...listened to our stories and looked closely at everything we had presented her with. She fixed my leutal phase with progesterone and had given us the blunt info that we needed to see that my husband's sperm was fine but definitely needs some help. She performed my first IUI and she was calm and explained everything. She is great
I emailed the nursing staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] asking them if I could use a trigger shot this cycle. I mentioned in my email how frustrated I was that this is taking a long time (11 months total, only 2 IUI's so far with the fertility center) and she didn't dismiss that, she empathized with me how the journey is long and hard. It was nice she 'heard me' and she communicated with me about it. All staff is nice and they smile when you arrive. They're happy to see you.
I had no idea what to expect at my first appt for a consult. My husband's urologist said nothing was wrong with his sperm so I wasn't sure why we weren't getting pregnant. I also had a very short leutal phase and my own OB said it was only because my TSH levels were off. Dr. Shavell listened to our stories and looked closely at everything we had presented her with. She fixed my leutal phase with progesterone and had given us the blunt info that we needed to see that my husband's sperm was fine but definitely needs some help. She performed my first IUI and she was calm and explained everything. She is great
Make sure you listen, she's soft spoken and calm so you could miss something :)
She talked me through my first IUI procedure as she did everything. She has the most calming voice I've ever heard. She is so nice and I am so glad I am seeing her.
I take Femara to help with producing more mature follicles I take progesterone 3 days after IUI to lengthen my leutal phase I was just prescribed a trigger shot this cycle in which I'll use in the next few days to make sure I ovulate all mature follicles She has me doing IUI once I get a positive OPK (when I wasn't using a trigger shot) So far IUI's #1 and #2 did not work. I am hopeful for #3, it's all a waiting game.
I emailed the nursing staff asking them if I could use a trigger shot this cycle. I mentioned in my email how frustrated I was that this is taking a long time (11 months total, only 2 IUI's so far with the fertility center) and she didn't dismiss that, she empathized with me how the journey is long and hard. It was nice she 'heard me' and she communicated with me about it. All staff is nice and they smile when you arrive. They're happy to see you.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
So far I have had a pleasant experience with the clinic overall. The only weakness I recall is my first ultrasound looking for poll-ups and follicular size. The ultrasound tech was a little rough with the wand that was inside me and took my by surprise and kind of hurt me with the amount of pressure she put on me. Otherwise everything is great and I would definitely recommend the clinic to anyone who is going through infertility struggles
I guessed that our costs would be a lot higher than they ended up being. I wish they mapped out procedure costs a little better. I have pretty good insurance so that definitely helps with my journey
Grand Rapids
Dr. Shavell was kind and seemed deeply aware of the stress and emotions that go along with infertility. ... I feel she is always actively listening to me. She makes eye contact and is reassuring with her body language. She ensures you feel comfortable and your voice is heard at your appointments. ...She always made sure I knew what the next step of the process was and that I was comfortable with it. What I like most is she reminds you that you are strong and capable of handling the stress and struggles of IVF.
The prices seemed reasonable and seemingly followed other average costs. The building was very clean and well designed. It [Fertility Center of Michigan] was relaxing atmosphere and the waiting room was calming and inviting. While walking through the halls other staff members greeted you. ... [Nursing Staff] Very kind and welcoming. All my phone calls were pleasant and my interactions at the center were great
Dr. Shavell was kind and seemed deeply aware of the stress and emotions that go along with infertility. She always made sure I knew what the next step of the process was and that I was comfortable with it. What I like most is she reminds you that you are strong and capable of handling the stress and struggles of IVF.
She is ready to work for you and make sure you are ready for the work!
Gonal-F, Follistim, Menopur, hCG
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The prices seemed reasonable and seemingly followed other average costs. The building was very clean and well designed. It was relaxing atmosphere and the waiting room was calming and inviting. While walking through the halls other staff members greeted you. The only weakness for me was that I lived far away from the clinic.
ART case management $1850 (deposit to schedule) Follicle Puncture/ Oocyte Retrieval $1795 Culture and Fertilization of Oocytes/Embryos $1570 Embryo Transfer $1060 Abdominal Ultrasound $225 ICSI $1850 Assisted hatching $630 Blastocyst Culture $620 Cryopreservation of Embryo $910 Cryopreservation of Oocytes $910 Time Lapse Photography $805 Embryogen $465 Thawing of cryopreserved embryos $1075 This is the cost breakdown provided to me. Obviously I did not require everything here. My total from this list was $10,065
I was education on risks and likelihood of successful implantation.
Treated 2014 - 2017
[Dr. Shavell] Very empathetic with failed transfer. Eager to help us try again. Open and honest about treatment plans...Open and honest in communication. Very informative about treatment plans and adjusting them. Nothing but positive interactions even when the outcome was not what we wanted. Very calming demeanor and bedside manner. Always makes sure to explain every detail in length... Plan for flare protocol due to now having DOR along with MFI.
[The Fertility Center] Strengths-provider and staff experience. Caring and compassionate. Dedicated to their patients. Weaknesses-only thing I wish is that they took more payment options like Care Credit etc...The nurses were all very well-informed and knowledgeable about the processes. They answered the IVF line every single time. I never had to leave a message. Caring and extremely compassionate. Took the time out to explain everything and answer every question no matter how small...
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Dr Shavell is always willing to listen and do what's best for you as her patient.
For our two IUIs we only needed 50mg of clomid taken days 3-7. IVF procedure was BCP, then menopur and certotide. Added IM progesterone and retrace. Egg retrieval and ICSI done. 2 embryos transferred on day 3 and two frozen. FET utilized Lupron to suppress and then added Estrace and IM Progesterone. Transferred two embryos. Plan for flare protocol due to now having DOR along with MFI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sandy)
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
IUI was covered by insurance up to 2k. No IVF procedures or drugs were covered under insurance. The total cost for IVF was close to 15k. The FET was under a different insurance and medications were covered. We only paid $60. The FET itself cost around $2500 which was not covered by insurance.
Due to age, 2 embryos were advised to be transferred. The decision was left up to us with all risks explained.

Treated 2016
Dr. Shavell’s compassion went above and beyond. ... Our case was pretty straightforward. My husband had a vasectomy 20 years prior and we wanted more. ... She was fine with transferring two, as this was our first time. ... She made sure we knew what was going on at all times. She was not hesitant to call, for the good and the bad, herself. ... Dr. Shavell was compassionate and took all of our moral concerns into consideration when deciding on a treatment plan.
The clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is excellent and successful, but they are expensive and there are a lot charges outside of the standard ones. We would like to go back but simply can not afford it. The clinics atmosphere is welcoming. There is water and coffee in the lounge. ... She was available to call and was prompt at returning calls. She was also good and walking me through all the parts that made me especially nervous.
Dr. Shavell’s compassion went above and beyond. Our first transfer was successful. Our FET we lost all of our embryos before transfer and she personally called to break the news. We really appreciated that touch during a devastating time. She made sure we knew what was going on at all times. She was not hesitant to call, for the good and the bad, herself.
Ask questions and don’t be afraid to share your concerns.
Our case was pretty straightforward. My husband had a vasectomy 20 years prior and we wanted more. We originally approached Dr. Shavell about embryo adoption thinking this was our only option. She told us about sperm retrieval and the likelihood of success and we decided to go for it. My husband had a TESE and the sperm was frozen. Then we did what I believe was a standard protocol, with the addition of lovenox because I had some clotting issues in He last. We did a retrieval and a two day transfer, which made me a little nervous as I hadn’t heard of many of them. But it worked first time and we have twins.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is excellent and successful, but they are expensive and there are a lot charges outside of the standard ones. We would like to go back but simply can not afford it. The clinics atmosphere is welcoming. There is water and coffee in the lounge.
She was fine with transferring two, as this was our first time. When we went back to do an FET, she recommended one based on previous results. But she was open to two if hats what we wanted.
Treated 2015 - 2016
They believe I have poor egg quality, and when we had 28 eggs collected and 15 fertilize, by day 2 on transfer day, only 2 had survived. She [Dr Shavell] told me when I was in the transfer room, right before and was so sweet when I started crying. Handed me tissues and let me have time. She also called twice, once a week after the egg collection and during the TWW to check on us.
Eagle Park [office location of The Fertility Center of Michigan] has early office hours for ultrasounds starting at 7 and earlier for sperm samples, which is great if you work an 8-5 job. The longest I have waited is 30 minutes, but usually I'm in and out. At some point you end up seeing all the doctors which I view as a strength. It's nice to get all the opinions.
Really great. She did some of my IUIs, and my transfer, and I was grateful to have her do so. She explained things well and I had a list of about 100 questions, I kid you not, every time we met with her, and she let me go through every single question.
She's soft spoken at first, but don't let that fool you. She knows her stuff and is very compassionate.
Dr. Shavell is soft-spoken, but has a really wonderful bedside manner. She knows what she's talking about and will tell you in a way that makes you feel confident, but also comfortable. They believe I have poor egg quality, and when we had 28 eggs collected and 15 fertilize, by day 2 on transfer day, only 2 had survived. She told me when I was in the transfer room, right before and was so sweet when I started crying. Handed me tissues and let me have time. She also called twice, once a week after the egg collection and during the TWW to check on us.
IUIs we did Femara with a trigger shot. IVF I did 75iu of Menopur, 75iu of Gonal F, Cetrotide and a Lupron/HCG trigger. Prepped with birth control. They were worried about overstimming as it's easy for PCOS patients to do so, but they kept a very good eye on it and managed it well. Didn't end up with it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Michelle )
I spoke with Michelle a lot at the Eagle Park office. She's so sweet. Remembers you when you call on the phone and lets you call to ask absolutely any question. You know she also genuinely feels for you when something goes wrong.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Eagle Park has early office hours for ultrasounds starting at 7 and earlier for sperm samples, which is great if you work an 8-5 job. The longest I have waited is 30 minutes, but usually I'm in and out. At some point you end up seeing all the doctors which I view as a strength. It's nice to get all the opinions.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Great! I was always able to get in by 7. They do them from 7-10 and the early appointments are great.
IUIs were 395 I believe. IVF cycle is just under 10 grand, without medicine.
Treated 2016
My experiences with her [Dr. Valerie Shavell] were great. You don’t see your main doctor at every visit. A lot of your visitors are just check ups or ultrasounds. Whenever I did meet with her it was always reassuring. I never had to guess what we would do next or worry that there wasn’t a plan in place. If something wasn’t working she made sure to make the changes that were necessary in your care plan. She has a very sweet demeanor and she is very easy to talk to.
The clinic [Fertility Center of MI] is awesome. Everyone there is super sweet and welcoming. It’s a very cozy environment. They work with you to make sure all of your questions and concerns are being answered. The only weakness is as a new patient it can take about a month to make an appointment with a doctor. But I think that shows you how great the office is that they are always that busy!
My experiences with her were great. You don’t see your main doctor at every visit. A lot of your visitors are just check ups or ultrasounds. Whenever I did meet with her it was always reassuring. I never had to guess what we would do next or worry that there wasn’t a plan in place. If something wasn’t working she made sure to make the changes that were necessary in your care plan. She has a very sweet demeanor and she is very easy to talk to.
Their office is very busy, make your appointment now. I was so nervous to start our journey with their office and I almost cancelled a handful of times. Take the plunge because she is a great doctor!
When I first met with Dr. Shavell I could tell she actually cared about the work that she was doing. She was super sweet, when over all of my testing and made sure I understood the plan she had set out for us. I went in there feeling so discouraged and left feeling much more hopeful we would be able to start a family.
When I first started going to the office I was started on Femara with an Ovidrel injection to force ovulation. I have a lot of eggs but they do not mature on their own. We tried a few cycles this way but my body was not responding to the treatment. I met with Dr. Shavell again in which she said we should start injectables. I started the highest dose of Femara, Metformin, Gonal - F, Ovidrel and Progesterone. The round that worked started out very slowly because we started at the lowest dose of Gonal - F. I have PCOS and because of that I could hyperstimulate very easily. Through my second vial of Gonal - F I had three viable eggs. We ended up pregnant with twin boys and we couldn’t be more thankful.
The nursing staff was great. They were always there for you and communicated what was going on. One day after my ultrasound I started crying and the nurse gave me a hug and stayed there with me until I felt better.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is awesome. Everyone there is super sweet and welcoming. It’s a very cozy environment. They work with you to make sure all of your questions and concerns are being answered. The only weakness is as a new patient it can take about a month to make an appointment with a doctor. But I think that shows you how great the office is that they are always that busy!
I do not remember exact numbers but our insurance did not cover anything fertility rated. All of the appointments and medication cost us in the ball park of 3 to 4 thousand.
Treated 2014 - 2015
Dr. Shavell was soft-spoken and kind, which was not what I expected of someone with her level of training and expertise. She earned my trust right away because she was sensitive to our unusual situation, but also spoke with confidence about a course of treatment... I ended up producing 29 eggs, but I ended up with 6 viable embryos this time. They transferred 2 of those embryos and I ended up pregnant with a singleton and had a live birth in 2015. I have 4 embryos that are still frozen and in storage.
I felt like the staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] actually cared about me and that the doctors and nurses were aware of the latest and greatest medical advancements. In fact, they changed protocol from one cycle to the next (with only a couple months between cycles) because they had found studies that indicate a different approach would produce better results. I do think that the one area that was a bit lacking was communication. I would have loved to have the option to email the nurses and have online access to some of my medical records. I also thought it would have been helpful if their website included more detailed information about what to expect during an IVF cycle or even individual stories of patients.
Dr. Shavell may be young and soft-spoken, but she is definitely competent.
Everyone in the office, including nurses and office staff, were kind to me. I did sometimes get the impression that they do this so often that they don't give as many details as they could have, but overall I was impressed with Dr. Shavell and the rest of the staff.
My first cycle was an antagonist cycle with very low doses of stimulating hormones. They expected me to respond very well to stimulating hormones and I did. I ended up with 26 eggs during that first cycle, but only 3 of those eggs became viable embryos. They ended up transferring all 3 of those embryos and I became pregnant, but ended up with a chemical pregnancy at 5 weeks. The second cycle was a long Lupron cycle. They expected this cycle to produce less eggs, but were hoping they would be higher quality. Once again, they used low doses of stimulating hormones. I ended up producing 29 eggs, but I ended up with 6 viable embryos this time. They transferred 2 of those embryos and I ended up pregnant with a singleton and had a live birth in 2015. I have 4 embryos that are still frozen and in storage.
I was overall impressed with the team of nurses. All of them displayed compassion and understanding. I would have given them an excellent in all areas, but I did have an issue getting information on when to take the trigger shot during one of my cycles so they weren't quite as organized as they could have been.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Overall, I was impressed with the quality of the Fertility Center. I felt like the staff actually cared about me and that the doctors and nurses were aware of the latest and greatest medical advancements. In fact, they changed protocol from one cycle to the next (with only a couple months between cycles) because they had found studies that indicate a different approach would produce better results. I do think that the one area that was a bit lacking was communication. I would have loved to have the option to email the nurses and have online access to some of my medical records. I also thought it would have been helpful if their website included more detailed information about what to expect during an IVF cycle or even individual stories of patients.
I think it was approximately $10,000 per cycle for all the medications, monitoring appointments, egg retrievals, and embryo transfers. My insurance partially covered monitoring appointments and medications, but the rest was out of pocket. I did get a small discount during my second cycle because of the failure of the first cycle.
I was encouraged to transfer multiple embryos during both cycles. In fact, during my first cycle I actually transferred 3 embryos because they didn't think the 3rd embryo would survive the freezing process.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I mentioned this earlier, but one of the nurses neglected to let me know what time to get a trigger shot. I called the emergency line and was given the correct time, but it still caused me a lot of anxiety!

Treated 2018 - 2019
We tried several times with clomid and ovidrel to ensure I was producing healthy eggs and to be able to control the timing of ovulation...Dr. Shavell recommended FSH therapy using Gonal F, Progesterone, and Ovidrel to increase the amount of follicles produced...has always been friendly, courteous, and genuinely seems to want us to become pregnant...There are times when she seems almost too professional, but she is always straightforward and has a good bedside manner. Even with setbacks, she has been realistic, but reassuring.
The clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] has a warm and inviting atmosphere. It is clean and also cozy. The waiting room is comfortable and the treatment rooms are all modern with newer equipment. The staff are all friendly and always greet me by name...The nursing staff were all knowledgeable and friendly. I did find, though, that since I did not see the same nurses each visit, that we had to be our own advocates sometimes and ask questions.
Dr. Shavell is very knowledgeable and kind. There are times when she seems almost too professional, but she is always straightforward and has a good bedside manner. Even with setbacks, she has been realistic, but reassuring.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and be your own advocate.
Dr. Shavell has always been friendly, courteous, and genuinely seems to want us to become pregnant.
We tried several times with clomid and ovidrel to ensure I was producing healthy eggs and to be able to control the timing of ovulation. When that still did. It result in a pregnancy, Dr. Shavell recommended FSH therapy using Gonal F, Progesterone, and Ovidrel to increase the amount of follicles produced.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic has a warm and inviting atmosphere. It is clean and also cozy. The waiting room is comfortable and the treatment rooms are all modern with newer equipment. The staff are all friendly and always greet me by name.
Our insurance covered most of our treatment and medications. IVF and prep and storage for sperm were not covered.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
There was only one time someone failed to call in a prescription, but it was easily solved by the pharmacist calling an after hour phone number and the prescription was able to be filled after that.
Grand Rapids
Dr. Shavell had very good bedside manner, and always made me feel that she really cared. She's very compassionate and understanding. She's also very flexible with my needs. when I asked if we could do an endometriosis laparoscopy instead of trying another cycle she allowed it. She really let me feel that I was in control of my own treatment and that she was there to help.
It is a great Clinic [The Fertility Center of MI-Grand Rapids] with great staff. It is in a very nice location. The clinic is very clean and welcoming. All the staff are very friendly and compassionate. They even offer you drinks when you are in the waiting room.... the nursing staff was great! They always were great about answering my questions when I called and getting any problem that I had solved.
Know that it's going to take awhile to get in to see her for the first time at least.
She has very good bedside manner. The clinic always answers my questions in a timely manner, and they're all so sweet.
I didn't ovulate on my own, and Clomid did not work for me, so she tried femara and the ovidrel injection, when I could no longer come down for ultrasounds due to lack of time, she allowed me to just try femara alone which is what ended up working.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It is a great Clinic with great staff. It is in a very nice location. The clinic is very clean and welcoming. All the staff are very friendly and compassionate. They even offer you drinks when you are in the waiting room.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I'm not sure if it was this clinics fault or the fault of the hospital where I get my blood drawn, but lab orders were really hard to get faxed from one place to another.
Valerie Shavell

From the second I met with Dr. Shavell she made me feel like everything was going to be okay! ... I knew from the beginning that that Dr. Shavell was a perfect fit for us. We had just experienced our first early miscarriage when we had our appointment. She was so comforting and kind. Dr. Shavell wasted to time on start treatment, and getting a plan in place which we loved!
The Fertility center is a great welcoming place! I knew from the moment I walk in I was in the right place. All the staff are friendly and kind. My only disappoint is that they don't do appointment reminder calls (or I havent received any). You will not be disappointed in choosing TFC as your fertility specialist. ... All of the nursing staff has been wonderful
Relax your in great hands!
I was scheduled for an Sonohysterogram (which was normal), and started letrozole 5mg cycle day 3-7. I go in on CD11 for a midcycle ultrasound. Test with OPK twice a day starting CD10. Have intercourse every other day start CD8 until I have a positive opk then have intercourse that day, the next skip one day then once again. Wait two weeks test then repeat if needed. We are currently on our 2nd letrozole cycle.
All of the nursing staff has been wonderful
Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr. Shavell always explained things in as much detail as I needed to understand what the whole IVF process entailed. She was very supportive of our unique situation. I felt comfortable trusting her with our infertility journey... The Fertility Center is a wonderful place. They work with you to find the right course of treatment for your situation. Costs are outlined early on in the process, so there are no surprises.
The Fertility Center is a wonderful place. They work with you to find the right course of treatment for your situation. Costs are outlined early on in the process, so there are no surprises. They also offer “scholarships “ in the form of their Family Building Fund....All of the nurses have been caring and compassionate in regards to my treatment. If I have to leave a phone message, I always receive a prompt response.
Dr. Shavell always explained things in as much detail as I needed to understand what the whole IVF process entailed. She was very supportive of our unique situation. I felt comfortable trusting her with our infertility journey .
Be your own advocate. While Dr. Shavell is very knowledgeable, you know your body best. Don’t be afraid to voice your opinion.
Dr. Shavell was always available to us and very caring.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
ART case management: $1545 Egg retrieval: $1740 Fertilization: $1520 ICSI: $1740 Cryopreservation of embryos: $845 Thawing of cryopreserved embryos: $1000 Embryo transfer: $1025
Treated 2016 - 2017
She [Dr. Valerie Shavell] as very honest and open with us at the beginning of our journey with her. She gave us options and let us help her choose our next steps.... She is very soft spoken and down to business at first, but as she gets to know you and your significant other, she warms up and is more personable.... The only issue we had was that she did not perform out IUI. A nurse practitioner did and I was not a fan of that.
The nursing staff [at the Fertility Center of Michigan-Grand Rapids] has been nothing but amazing.... The only issue we had was that she [Dr. Valeri Shavell]did not perform out IUI. A nurse practitioner did and I was not a fan of that. Now that we are starting the IVF process, we have seen her at each appointment and are feeling a lot better about the process... She as very honest and open with us at the beginning of our journey with her. She gave us options and let us help her choose our next steps.
The only issue we had was that she did not perform out IUI. A nurse practitioner did and I was not a fan of that. Now that we are starting the IVF process, we have seen her at each appointment and are feeling a lot better about the process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Ashley )
The nursing staff has been nothing but amazing.
Office visits, procedures, ultra sounds, medications, embryo storage
Treated 2012 - 2018
Loved everything about my experience and continued experience [with Dr. Shavell]. I always feel cared for and like she takes all the time I need. She listens to me and even takes my suggestions like trying a natural cycle. She's honest...She is soft spoken. Don't think she is a push over. She's just calm and takes her time. I really appreciate it. She always gives me a sense of peace...We did frozen embryo transfer using donor embryos. We have unexplained male factor issues. In 2016 it took us 2 attempts to get our daughter and now we are attempting again. We know not every cycle will result in a live birth. She's always hopeful alongside U.S. and reassures us that it should and will "take" it's just a matter of when.
We did frozen embryo transfer using donor embryos [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]. We have unexplained male factor issues. In 2016 it took us 2 attempts to get our daughter and now we are attempting again. [Dr. Shavell is] always hopeful alongside U.S. and reassures us that it should and will "take" it's just a matter of when...Always took her time with me and never rushed. Answered any questions and reassured me I was not crazy.
Loved everything about my experience and continued experience. I always feel cared for and like she takes all the time I need. She listens to me and even takes my suggestions like trying a natural cycle. She's honest.
Super sweet and friendly. Always took her time with me and never rushed. Answered any questions and reassured me I was not crazy.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Shavell put me at ease with her level of expertise and showcasing our options. Her mannerisms are calm, nurturing and supportive - exactly what is needed during such a difficult time. I really appreciate her level of care provided... After being with my OB for fertility treatment, it is refreshing to be with an RE that is confident in her procedures and uses my personal data, blood work, and ultrasound information to make informed decisions about my procedures and next steps. I truly recommend Dr. Shavell to any person looking for their next options in starting a family in the midwest region. My only regret is not visiting this office sooner!
The Fertility Center has been simply amazing as my husband and I go through our fertility journey... On top of having a team that is knowledgable and professional, the facility itself is extremely clean, relaxing (coffee, water, magazines, tv and fish tank in waiting room)...also offers a support group that means once a month that is free to members, as well as discounted infertility yoga that is exclusively for those trying to conceive...
Dr. Shavell has been a supportive, knowledgeable, and honest physician. After being with my OB for fertility treatment, it is refreshing to be with an RE that is confident in her procedures and uses my personal data, blood work, and ultrasound information to make informed decisions about my procedures and next steps. I truly recommend Dr. Shavell to any person looking for their next options in starting a family in the midwest region. My only regret is not visiting this office sooner!
After working with an OB for 5 medicated cycles, Dr. Shavell makes sure you have a fertility panel done (bloodwork, ultrasound, possible HSG test) before starting treatment. This was extremely helpful knowing what my numbers were to these tests and helped me understand my body a bit more. The more information, the better; which is what you will get with Dr. Shavell!
When I first began seeing Dr. Shavell, she ordered a fertility panel of bloodwork and an HSG test to see if my tubes were open. Most bloodwork was normal except AMH (very high) and my TSH. My husband also had a semen analysis done which came back normal. I was put on metformin and levothyroxine. After, we began with 5 mg femara. I had no response. She upped me to 7.5 femara. Again, I had no response. I was then put on 10 mg of femara. I responded well and grew 1 mature follicle per cycle. I did this 3 times and did the HCG trigger shot when my follicles were considered mature. After three negative pregnancy tests, we decided to move to a more aggressive approach as 3-4 cycles per medication is the norm. We are currently doing 10mg of Femara, 37.5 iu Gonal F, and the HCG trigger shot. I also use progesterone suppositories 3 days after trigger shot. We have also included an IUI with this more aggressive approach. We have 2 more cycles with this approach before our last option is IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Kristy)
The nurses are the fertility center are simply amazing. They are caring and extremely knowledgeable. This helps put my anxious self at ease! I call the office very frequently with questions throughout each cycle and the nurses are always ready to answer my questions. They are truly so supportive which has been extremely helpful throughout this process.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The Fertility Center has been simply amazing as my husband and I go through our fertility journey. This is a difficult journey where you are not sure where it will end, but we have discovered that having a team of physicians and nurses that are knowledgeable, honest and caring has truly helped to put use at ease. On top of having a team that is knowledgable and professional, the facility itself is extremely clean, relaxing (coffee, water, magazines, tv and fish tank in waiting room). The Fertility Center also offers a support group that means once a month that is free to members, as well as discounted infertility yoga that is exclusively for those trying to conceive. The support group and yoga are two excellent features to provide to clients and another reason this center is so extraordinary. They make you feel like they truly care about you and want to support you.
Each visit there is a cost associated with it. Some are covered by insurance where I have a discounted portion to pay (ultrasounds and doctor's visits) while others are not covered at all (IUI, medications): Ultrasounds ($23) IUI ($600) Meeting with a nurse ($23) meeting with a doctor ($180) HCG trigger shot ($90) Femara ($5) Gonal F ($420) Progesterone ($50) HSG ($1200) Various bloodwork combined ($800+) Levothyroxine ($4)
I have not received information on this yet.
Treated 2016 - 2019
We liked her [Dr. Shavell] right away. At our first visit she seemed very intelligent and committed to do everything in her power to help us have a baby. She explains things in great detail which we found very helpful. Her compassion and bedside manner has only improved over the years that we have been under her care. ... She is always very personable with both my husband and I.
They [The Fertility Center of Michigan] are not cookie cutter, they individualize their patients care and do not batch transfers. The office staff is a little less desirable. Mainly some of the front desk staff and some in the billing department. It feels like they often forget what their patients are going through and the financial strains being seen at this office can cause. ... They were very accommodating to my schedule. Sometimes I had to wait a little bit but it usually went very well.
We liked her right away. At our first visit she seemed very intelligent and committed to do everything in her power to help us have a baby. She explains things in great detail which we found very helpful. Her compassion and bedside manner has only improved over the years that we have been under her care.
Take notes at your appointments.
She is always very personable with both my husband and I.
The first round of IVF we used the antagonist protocol and obtained 4 eggs, 3 embryos were created with ICSI. The second retrieval she changed the protocol to the long protocol and 9 eggs were obtained and 7 embryos created with ICSI. I was on 450mg of Gonal F per day for 14 days.
The nursing staff was always there to answer any questions. There are one or two that seem less compassionate then the others but overall great to work with.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are cutting edge and offer most of the latest technologies. They are not cookie cutter, they individualize their patients care and do not batch transfers. The office staff is a little less desirable. Mainly some of the front desk staff and some in the billing department. It feels like they often forget what their patients are going through and the financial strains being seen at this office can cause.
Blood draws are $115. (Progesterone/estradiol) Ultrasounds about $300-350 FET about $4,000 without additional add ons. Egg retrieval/fresh transfer about $9,000 without ad ons.
She did not have a preference and did educate us on the risks of multiples with transferring two.
Grand Rapids
I have just switched to Dr shavelle this year although I have been going to their clinic since 2014, I thought maybe I’d give another doc a try to maybe get a 2nd opinion.... after meeting with her she wrote up a plan to first get new bloodwork on everything. Found out I am a probable candidate for PCOS, have high liver enzymes and high blood sugar. Had me meet with my OBGYN to take metformin to level everything out.
I have been going to the clinic [Fertility Ctr of MI] since 2014, I have never thought about switching facilities because they do treat you awesome there. They pretty much know you by name and make you feel right at home. They are overall really on top of things and know what they are doing.... Overall the nursing staff was great and showed empathy. Only one incident there was a ultrasound tech who said something I thought was a little insensitive but that could’ve just been me being overly sensitive
I officially got diagnosed with infertility 2014. I seen Dr Dodds. He was witty and nice but for a long time I just progressing and doing the same medications over. On my 5th year I decided to stay at the same clinic but try a woman specialist to see maybe if she had a different opinion. I had a consult with her and she wrote up a new plan for me and was very personable. She could tell I was a little discouraged but made me feel at ease and not embarassed or uncomfortable. My only regret is not seeking her out sooner as my result who knows might’ve been a pregnancy already. All the money could’ve went towards ivf if I had known facts sooner and understood.
Be patient as always. You will love her
I have just switched to Dr shavelle this year although I have been going to their clinic since 2014, I thought maybe I’d give another doc a try to maybe get a 2nd opinion. I had a consult with her in feb and loved how personable she is and made me feel at ease and not just another number. I wish I had seen her sooner as maybe we could’ve moved further had I known facts sooner. Its been a long 5 years.
We looked at my history since 2014. I did countless clomid/femara cycles. I did a couple rounds of ovidrel and one round of follistim. This time after meeting with her she wrote up a plan to first get new bloodwork on everything. Found out I am a probable candidate for PCOS, have high liver enzymes and high blood sugar. Had me meet with my OBGYN to take metformin to level everything out. Had me do an hsg again, and for two cycles use a higher dosage for femara and do 2 iui’s before discussing ivf again. Although no pregnancy I have never had 2 months in a row with mature follicles so I’m thinking the higher dosage of femara has helped. Moving forward I have another consult at the end of this month about ivf. Not sure what the cost and fees are as I’m a little nervous because we have spend so much money on the other medications and feel hopeless. Hoping I will be qualitfied foe this grant, will be life changing
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I have been going to the clinic since 2014, I have never thought about switching facilities because they do treat you awesome there. They pretty much know you by name and make you feel right at home. They are overall really on top of things and know what they are doing. Also ver clean
Grand Rapids
Dr. Shavell is very caring and considerate. She will do everything that she can to help her patients conceive. She is very empathetic to situations and explains in detail different options to choose from when one doesn't work....When we first started our journey with the fertility center, Dr. Shavell had me do blood work and also go in for an ultra sound to check the lining of my uterus and what not. She then proscribed me with femara, I was to take it cycle day 3-7
This clinic [Fertility Ctr of Michigan] is very great at accommodating to every patients needs. They will even open on weekend to preform necessary procedures to ensure your best chances at conceiving. The clinic is very great at making sure each step to your journey is done on time and correctly by helping you set up appointments and also setting reminders by giving you a set outline....The nursing staff were all very nice and considerate of the patients feelings. They know that infertility is a stressful thing to endure so they would always be sure to smile and make you feel warm and welcomed in the atmosphere.
Don't stress and stay calm, everything is very face passed and starts immediately after your consultation. This is to ensure things get to moving and to help you reach your dreams of parenthood as fast as possible.
She made me feel very welcomed and made me feel like she too was eager to help reach our dream of becoming parents. She started right in on what was needed to do so and started treatments right away, she was very genuine and caring throughout everything.
When we first started our journey with the fertility center, Dr. Shavell had me do blood work and also go in for an ultra sound to check the lining of my uterus and what not. She then proscribed me with femara, I was to take it cycle day 3-7. I was monitored with more ultra sounds making sure I was producing eggs and that follicle sizes were where they needed to be. She stated that we could use a trigger shot or ovulation test to see when ovulation occurred. We used ovulation tests and once I got a positive we were to head to the clinic to preform the IUI procedure. On the day of the procedure my husbands count was unfortunately low but Dr. Shavell reassured me that it only takes one, so we went ahead and tried. We however did not convince but we have been on the course of increasing my husbands count with seeing a urologist and him also being on clomid. We hope to try for another IUI here soon!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
This clinic is very great at accommodating to every patients needs. They will even open on weekend to preform necessary procedures to ensure your best chances at conceiving. The clinic is very great at making sure each step to your journey is done on time and correctly by helping you set up appointments and also setting reminders by giving you a set outline. I strongly feel like I did not ever experience any weaknesses with this clinic, everything was great.
My insurance through my work unfortunately is very limited to what it will cover fertility wise. Some medications were covered like the femara along with ultra sounds. However the IUI procedure was not covered but Dr. Shavell worked with us tremendously with that.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Shavell has been the most amazing doctor. She has been kind and patient. She presents all the information in clear and respectful ways. She answers all my questions and never makes me feel like I am being rushed or taking up too much of her time. ... Dr. Shavell is warm and extremely knowledgeable with all of her information ...
The clinic [Fertility Center of Michigan] is always clean and tidy. Everyone smiles and say good morning or hi. They typically run on time but every once and awhile you need to wait a few extra minutes which is totally fine. The rooms are very private and also kept clean. Privacy is very respected and patient information is very protected ... They are all knowledgable and respectful
Dr Shavell is caring and respectful. Infertility is one of the toughest challenges my husband and I have faced. It puts my mind at ease knowing that we have such a wonderful doctor helping us attempt to add to our family. Dr. Shavell is warm and extremely knowledgeable with all of her information
Do not hesitate to ask any questions. Dr Shavell will take the time to make sure you have all the knowledge and pieces put in place
Our first round with Dr Shavell has been 5 cycles with Famara and mid cycle ultrasounds. 2 of those cycles have been with iui. We are currently in our two week window of waiting to find out if we achieved pregnancy or not.
They are all knowledgable and respectful
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is always clean and tidy. Everyone smiles and say good morning or hi. They typically run on time but every once and awhile you need to wait a few extra minutes which is totally fine. The rooms are very private and also kept clean. Privacy is very respected and patient information is very protected
Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr shavell was wonderful and understood what we were going through. She was always willing to talk to us about us situation and never rushed through anything...Dr shavell discovered I had pcos so she put me on metformin.... But I kept miscarrying each transfer so we checked my thyroid and I was elevated so we started medication for that... She was always willing to talk to us about us situation and never rushed through anything
I feel they [Fertility Center of MI - nurses] didn’t have as much compassion as the doctors did.... The one thing that was tough was when you had a miscarriage and wanted to try again right away you had to wait to get on the list for the month. Sometimes it was full and they would say you should have signed up sooner-like I knew I was going to miscarry... Dr shavell was wonderful and understood what we were going through.
I always felt very comfortable while working with her. She always put you at ease with all the things you had to go through as a patient. I was always the one that came with a million questions and she never made me feel rushed or just another patient to her
Ask questions and be an advocate for yourself
Dr shavell discovered I had pcos so she put me on metformin. I can’t remember the specifics of the IVF medication treatments. But I kept miscarrying each transfer so we checked my thyroid and I was elevated so we started medication for that
I feel they didn’t have as much compassion as the doctors did. Sometimes I felt like just a number with them