4.8

Traverse City, MI 49684
Kalamazoo
317 South Drake Rd
Kalamazoo, MI 49009

Dr. Shavell is very honest and gives me the facts - which I love. She is willing to try different things to get us where we need to be to have children. She is very intelligent and understands the fertility field. My only complaint is with the amount of testing she wanted done, we had to pay everything completely out of pocket, which got frustrating. But I was honest with her and told her we needed to save money, so she adjusted her plan.
[Fertility Center of MI's] Strengths - the clinic has been around since the 90s and is very successful in what they do. They are willing to try new things to get patients where they'd like to be. Weakness - it's very pricey and the tests cost a lot of money out of pocket. They don't take many insurance plans.... Everyone is very nice at the Fertility Center. They know the patients by name and understand it's a hard reason patients are there, so they are very sensitive and kind.
How was your experience with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Be honest about your financial needs up front.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
She is very open to my suggestions and listens to everything I've gone through.
Describe the protocols Valerie Shavell used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
So far we have done clomid cycles at 50mg per month days 5-9 with no luck.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
$100 deposit for initial appointment which costs over $300. After that, we paid different amounts each appointment.
Describe Valerie Shavell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
No strong opinion, it is up to us.
Grand Rapids
She [Dr. Valerie Shavell] has been nice, kind and answered questions. She explained things nicely but blunt. I felt she could of been a little more compassionate and give more information at our second appointment...So far we have done one round of Clomid monitored, one round not, hoping to do another. I believe it was a basic fertility treatment and she told us IVF was not an option due to my age...I feel a little like based on my age she used a standard protocol with little to basic testing...I hope in the future they expand more options and ideas for women in their 40’s. For a new patient the first appointment is overwhelming! You will walk out on overload.
The nursing staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] has been amazing, compassionate, always kind when I feel I have a stupid question, give explanation and make sure I am okay with what’s going on...The overall staff is very pleasant, the clinic is clean and comfortable. I hope in the future they expand more options and ideas for women in their 40’s. For a new patient the first appointment is overwhelming! You will walk out on overload. Have questions with you written down, do reading before so you have an idea of some of the suggestions...So far we have done one round of Clomid monitored, one round not, hoping to do another. I believe it was a basic fertility treatment and she told us IVF was not an option due to my age. Nursing Staff
She has been nice, kind and answered questions. She explained things nicely but blunt. I felt she could of been a little more compassionate and give more information at our second appointment. I have not had any other experience with other doctors to compare her to.
I would say have lots of questions, do research on what you are wondering about, and know that she’s very kind but somewhat blunt.
She has been very kind but I feel a little like based on my age she used a standard protocol with little to basic testing.
The nursing staff has been amazing, compassionate, always kind when I feel I have a stupid question, give explanation and make sure I am okay with what’s going on
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Our insurance does not cover much for fertility clinic

Treated 2017 - 2018
12 rounds of Femara, 4 iui [protocol with Dr. Shavell]. Got pregnant on the 2nd iui but miscarried. Taking a break of the next round doesn’t work and then switching to injectables... is very nice but I feel that i am treated as a number. I only see or hear from her when I specifically request an appointment and I find myself having to remind her of things that she should already know...Conflicting information is my biggest complaint. It’s almost as if nurses and doctors don’t communicate. I’ve had them drop the ball several times related to my thyroid treatment and I’ve had to question advice they’ve given. It’s hard for me to trust what they are saying.
I have to re explain my situation every time I am at the fertility center [of Michigan]. There is no consistent treatment...A complete lack of communication and they clearly don’t look at files before talking to you. I’ve have had to re explain my miscarriage what feels like 1000 times. I get different answers depending on the nurse I’m talking to... It’s almost as if nurses and doctors don’t communicate. I’ve had them drop the ball several times related to my thyroid treatment and I’ve had to question advice they’ve given. It’s hard for me to trust what they are saying.
Dr Shavell is very nice but I feel that i am treated as a number. I only see or hear from her when I specifically request an appointment and I find myself having to remind her of things that she should already know.
Ask a lot of questions and stand up for yourself
I have to re explain my situation every time I am at the fertility center. There is no consistent treatment.
12 rounds of Femara, 4 iui. Got pregnant on the 2nd iui but miscarried. Taking a break of the next round doesn’t work and then switching to injectables when we save up money.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Strengths are that it’s clean, the staff are nice and wait times are minimal. Weakness is that they treat you like a number and try to push IVF when it’s not necessary yet. You have to advocate for and guide your own treatment.
were about 7000 in for iui, ultra sounds and medications
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.

Treated 2017 - 2018
Embryo Freezing
She [Dr. Valerie Shavell] is very kind but a little passive. I would have prefered a more aggressive treatment early on. I also wish I had seen her more frequently during my recently cancelled cycle. She is a good communicator and when I dis meet with her she explained everything thoroughly.... We tried 2 IUI's which were unsuccessful. Our recent IvF was cancelled after 10 days due to low follicle production. My injections have been adjusted for next time but I wonder if something could have been done earlier to get better results.
Overall, they [the nurses at the Fertility Center of Michigan-Grand Rapids] have been fine. It can be difficult to get them on the phone at times and when I asked for the new protocol for meds to be described they said it wasn't necessary at that time which I found frustrating.... In the end you will meet with all the doctors when it matters, so don't wait for her. Just get in there and get the process started.
She is very kind but a little passive. I would have prefered a more aggressive treatment early on. I also wish I had seen her more frequently during my recently cancelled cycle. She is a good communicator and when I dis meet with her she explained everything thoroughly.
It has been hard at times to reach her and during my recently cancelled cycle I only met with other doctors at the clinic.
Overall, they have been fine. It can be difficult to get them on the phone at times and when I asked for the new protocol for meds to be described they said it wasn't necessary at that time which I found frustrating.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The first was very casual with rock star pictures all over his office. There was also lots of toys and stuffed animals. It was weird. The second just didn't seem very compassionate. We only saw them both once and decided to wait.
So far we have spent 13,000 which included a prepayment for our upcoming IVF
She prefers single but with our chances so slim I think she should be more aggressive if the patient is willing.
Grand Rapids
Dr. Shavell had very good bedside manner, and always made me feel that she really cared. She's very compassionate and understanding. She's also very flexible with my needs. when I asked if we could do an endometriosis laparoscopy instead of trying another cycle she allowed it. She really let me feel that I was in control of my own treatment and that she was there to help.
It is a great Clinic [The Fertility Center of MI-Grand Rapids] with great staff. It is in a very nice location. The clinic is very clean and welcoming. All the staff are very friendly and compassionate. They even offer you drinks when you are in the waiting room.... the nursing staff was great! They always were great about answering my questions when I called and getting any problem that I had solved.
Know that it's going to take awhile to get in to see her for the first time at least.
She has very good bedside manner. The clinic always answers my questions in a timely manner, and they're all so sweet.
I didn't ovulate on my own, and Clomid did not work for me, so she tried femara and the ovidrel injection, when I could no longer come down for ultrasounds due to lack of time, she allowed me to just try femara alone which is what ended up working.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It is a great Clinic with great staff. It is in a very nice location. The clinic is very clean and welcoming. All the staff are very friendly and compassionate. They even offer you drinks when you are in the waiting room.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I'm not sure if it was this clinics fault or the fault of the hospital where I get my blood drawn, but lab orders were really hard to get faxed from one place to another.
Treated 2016 - 2017
Overall, I feel Dr Shavell is very knowledgeable and compassionate toward her patients. She was very empathetic when I was experiencing my miscarriage. However, some appointments with her felt rushed at times. She did ask though if I had any questions at the end of appointments...Treatment strategies I used with Dr. Shavell include Femara and some cycles with Ovidrel added also. I originally began Femara at the 5 mg dosage and based on the number of follicles I was producing, she asked if I would like to increase my dosage up to 7.5mg. I did that and it did increase the number of follicles I produced.
Some nurses [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] were very sympathetic when I was going through my miscarriage. However, there were others that weren't as compassionate about the situation. Overall, it can be tough to get ahold of the nursing staff and receive a call back from them in a timely manner...Appointments seem to usually be running on time and they usually have appointment opening on the day I call or the next day. Their offices are nice and clean but the locations aren't the most convenient...Occasionally, I would have to call them in order to get bloodwork results. Some nurses weren't always able to interpret the results and give me information on precisely what my results were indicating.
Come prepared with any potential questions you may have.
Some nurses were very sympathetic when I was going through my miscarriage. However, there were others that weren't as compassionate about the situation. Overall, it can be tough to get ahold of the nursing staff and receive a call back from them in a timely manner.
Grand Rapids

From the second I met with Dr. Shavell she made me feel like everything was going to be okay! ... I knew from the beginning that that Dr. Shavell was a perfect fit for us. We had just experienced our first early miscarriage when we had our appointment. She was so comforting and kind. Dr. Shavell wasted to time on start treatment, and getting a plan in place which we loved!
The Fertility center is a great welcoming place! I knew from the moment I walk in I was in the right place. All the staff are friendly and kind. My only disappoint is that they don't do appointment reminder calls (or I havent received any). You will not be disappointed in choosing TFC as your fertility specialist. ... All of the nursing staff has been wonderful
Relax your in great hands!
I was scheduled for an Sonohysterogram (which was normal), and started letrozole 5mg cycle day 3-7. I go in on CD11 for a midcycle ultrasound. Test with OPK twice a day starting CD10. Have intercourse every other day start CD8 until I have a positive opk then have intercourse that day, the next skip one day then once again. Wait two weeks test then repeat if needed. We are currently on our 2nd letrozole cycle.
All of the nursing staff has been wonderful
Treated 2018 - 2019
She [Dr. Valerie Shavell] is very compassionate, answers all questions, and made sure we were comfortable with the plan. She ordered tests to try to find a cause for my recurrent miscarriage, but we didn’t find anything. I do wish she would’ve done further testing.... Femara followed by an ultrasound to monitor follicles and Ovidrel to stimulate ovulation. She added Estradiol due to thin lining and Crinone after ovulation. I did get pregnant that cycle but unfortunately miscarried.
They [the nursing staff at The Fertility Center] were very helpful and called promptly with results.... I did not find Dr. Dodds to be at all compassionate or professional. We had a very poor experience with him following our fourth loss. It also seems there is a lack of communication among nursing staff regarding change of plans.... We used oral medications with timed intercourse and insurance covered most of the cost but do not cover IVF.
She is very compassionate, answers all questions, and made sure we were comfortable with the plan. She ordered tests to try to find a cause for my recurrent miscarriage, but we didn’t find anything. I do wish she would’ve done further testing.
Don’t be scared to ask questions. She is very compassionate and willing to answer.
She took the time to empathize with my situation and ask how I would like to proceed.
They were very helpful and called promptly with results.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I do not have experience.
Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr. Shavell always explained things in as much detail as I needed to understand what the whole IVF process entailed. She was very supportive of our unique situation. I felt comfortable trusting her with our infertility journey... The Fertility Center is a wonderful place. They work with you to find the right course of treatment for your situation. Costs are outlined early on in the process, so there are no surprises.
The Fertility Center is a wonderful place. They work with you to find the right course of treatment for your situation. Costs are outlined early on in the process, so there are no surprises. They also offer “scholarships “ in the form of their Family Building Fund....All of the nurses have been caring and compassionate in regards to my treatment. If I have to leave a phone message, I always receive a prompt response.
Dr. Shavell always explained things in as much detail as I needed to understand what the whole IVF process entailed. She was very supportive of our unique situation. I felt comfortable trusting her with our infertility journey .
Be your own advocate. While Dr. Shavell is very knowledgeable, you know your body best. Don’t be afraid to voice your opinion.
Dr. Shavell was always available to us and very caring.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
ART case management: $1545 Egg retrieval: $1740 Fertilization: $1520 ICSI: $1740 Cryopreservation of embryos: $845 Thawing of cryopreserved embryos: $1000 Embryo transfer: $1025
Grand Rapids
Nice and kind. She [Dr. Shavell] gave me my treatment plan for the next month in ways I understood. ... You won’t see the actual doctor much so make sure when you do you ask all the questions you can. ... I have only seen or talked to the doctor 2 times in several months. ... Femara 2.5 days 3-7 first month, then 5mg second month, and 7.5mg third month. IUI at any time. CD 12 ultrasounds every month
I feel the nurses [The Fertility Center] pretty much run the show and give out all the advice. It’s hard when you don’t feel listened to and have to make an actual appointment to get answers from the doctor. ... I sometimes felt they [nurses] weren’t listening to my concerns. I had to make an appointment with my doctor to talk about what’s next because they didn’t seem to know what to do.
Nice and kind. She gave me my treatment plan for the next month in ways I understood. I wish I could see her over Dr. Thakur. I hope they can get down to the bottom of why I can’t conceive. This is probably one of the most frustrating journeys of my life and I hope they can fix it
Overall good. I sometimes felt they weren’t listening to my concerns. I had to make an appointment with my doctor to talk about what’s next because they didn’t seem to know what to do.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I really feel like the doctor should be more present in the patient’s care. I have only seen or talked to the doctor 2 times in several months. Maybe that’s how they keeps costs down I don’t know. I feel the nurses pretty much run the show and give out all the advice. It’s hard when you don’t feel listened to and have to make an actual appointment to get answers from the doctor.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Forgot to call in my Ovidrel
The Fertility Center of Michigan
Grand Rapids - Women's Center/Downtown (closed)
Treated 2016 - 2017
Dr. Shavell seems very nice and soft spoken. Although I have only seen her a few short times. She gave us as much information as we'd like on all of the different types of procedures that might be right for us...She is very soft spoken and looks you right In the eye when talking to you....I did 3 months of clomid 50 mgdays 3-7 and ovidrel injection before iui with donor sperm. My first 2 iui's didn't work. My 3rd month was cancelled due to not good enough follicles.
The clinic [The Fertility Center] is super nice and I hardly ever have to wait. I've maybe waited 15 min before...I see the nurses often, mainly for everything. They do my ultrasounds and iui's. I have seen Erica a lot and I love her. She is so sweet, down to earth, and so compassionate....The cost is expensive but all healthcare is. So far since january we have probably spent $4000 and have not gotten pregnant yet....Dr. Shavell seems very nice and soft spoken. Although I have only seen her a few short times.
Do not have super high expectations for treatment working on the first try.
She is very soft spoken and looks you right In the eye when talking to you.
I did 3 months of clomid 50 mgdays 3-7 and ovidrel injection before iui with donor sperm. My first 2 iui's didn't work. My 3rd month was cancelled due to not good enough follicles. Now I am on my 4th month with clomid 100mg with ovidrel and iui with donor sperm again.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is super nice and I hardly ever have to wait. I've maybe waited 15 min before.
Treated 2016 - 2017
She [Dr. Valerie Shavell] is compassionate. She states the facts. She listens to your concerns. She is soft spoken. She is knowledgeable. She will reach out to you and check on you. She is optimistic. She takes the time to answer your questions.... I have DOR so we used an estrogen primed MDLF protocol. We did this to try to maximize the number of eggs collected. We retrieved 7 eggs, 2 became embryos, 1 is almost 3 months old and currently sleeping in my arms.
All of the doctors [at Fertility Center of Michigan] work for your care. They all are concerned for you. They are on time and efficient. Sometimes checking out took longer than I would have preferred. Other than that I can’t think of any weaknesses.... For IVF it was 12000 (that includes the medicine we ordered from other places).... They have a guide to how many eggs they transfer, but will discuss everything with you in case you have different preferences.
She is compassionate. She states the facts. She listens to your concerns. She is soft spoken. She is knowledgeable. She will reach out to you and check on you. She is optimistic. She takes the time to answer your questions.
Don’t be afraid to ask her any questions you have.
She called me to check on me when I was concerned.
They were friendly, patient, kind, and helpful.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
All of the doctors work for your care. They all are concerned for you. They are on time and efficient. Sometimes checking out took longer than I would have preferred. Other than that I can’t think of any weaknesses.
For IVF it was 12000 (that includes the medicine we ordered from other places).
Treated 2014 - 2015
Dr. Shavell was great at explaining everything and she was very kind. She only did one of my ultrasounds before IUI and that is the time I got pregnant. It makes me wonder if that was a factor in me getting pregnant vs. the nurse doing the ultrasound and determining the course of action. I wish that Dr. Shavell did it each time...She was very kind and explained everything in as much detail as I wanted. She made sure I was aware of all of the options I had and was respectful of the options I did not want to try.
Never had to wait for very long [at The Fertility Center - Grand Rapids]. I think the longest I waited in the waiting room was 10 minutes, which is unheard of for a doctor's office. It was easy to schedule and billing was easy...They were all very kind and helpful. The only negative I can think of is that they had a really hard time with my ultrasounds each time and it was pretty painful.
It is a hard road, but don't be afraid to ask questions.
I used Femara because Clomid wasn't working for me. My husband also used Fertilaid. I also had to inject Ovidril when they told me to. Lastly, she had us do IUI. We were not comfortable with IVF, so this was the best course of action for us.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Never had to wait for very long. I think the longest I waited in the waiting room was 10 minutes, which is unheard of for a doctor's office. It was easy to schedule and billing was easy.
We ended up spending around $10,000.

Treated 2018 - 2019
The procedure used for IUI was the same each of the four times I did it [with Dr. Valerie Shavell]. I am now starting my second round of IVF and she is changing the procedure to a flair protocol...During some appointments I felt as though she was looking at my chart for the first time...is a very nice person but sometimes her tone can be taken the wrong way at first. She is very light spoken and sometimes I perceived her tone as patronizing. After getting to know her more I became use to it.
The nursing staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] is pleasant...IUI's were around $500 for the procedure. IVF was around $8500...Clean and inviting but sometimes the wait times are long when arriving for an appointment. I also wish there was a payment plan option when doing IVF. Appointments are usually easy to schedule and are flexible...The procedure used for IUI was the same each of the four times I did it. I am now starting my second round of IVF and she is changing the procedure to a flair protocol.
Valerie is a very nice person but sometimes her tone can be taken the wrong way at first. She is very light spoken and sometimes I perceived her tone as patronizing. After getting to know her more I became use to it.
Ask questions.
The nursing staff is pleasant.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
IUI's were around $500 for the procedure. IVF was around $8500.
Treated 2018 - 2019
[Dr. Valerie Shavell is] Very soft spoken and at times hard to hear. Provided general information, but not a ton of details. When I asked questions I would get thorough answers then. She Seemed caring but rushed. I did not see the provider often... Poor HIPAA practice [at Fertility Centers of MI- Grand Rapids] and reaching billing is difficult. The nurses will talk in the halls and there is a lot of shuffeling of patients in consult rooms. I waited over in consiltant rooms. They returned all calls the same day if made before 3pm
My coordinator [at The Fertility Center of MI- Grand Rapids] was great, however I only spoke with her a few times. When I would call with questions I often spoke with different people. Some of who were not always friendly. I think they would really improve with there HIPAA practices.... Poor HIPAA practice and reaching billing is difficult. The nurses will talk in the halls and there is a lot of shuffeling of patients in consult rooms. I waited over in consiltant rooms. They returned all calls the same day if made before 3pm
Ask a lot of questions
Everything was very rushed, no details.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy )
My coordinator was great, however I only spoke with her a few times. When I would call with questions I often spoke with different people. Some of who were not always friendly. I think they would really improve with there HIPAA practices.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Poor HIPAA practice and reaching billing is difficult. The nurses will talk in the halls and there is a lot of shuffeling of patients in consult rooms. I waited over in consiltant rooms. They returned all calls the same day if made before 3pm.
IVF was around 15,000
Treated 2018 - 2019
It didn't feel like Dr. Shavell led the conversation. I brought a lot of questions and she offered thoughts, but didn't go into detail. She'd say just one sentence and then wait. There were times where information she shared surprised me (I wasn't aware of a diagnosis) but she seemed hesitant to go into more conversation. Come prepared with questions and prepared to drive the conversation forward.
It's a nice building and set up. There are pictures of babies all over the hallways, so be prepared for that. I also noticed children in the waiting room a few times, so also be aware of that potential. ... I've received good response time when calling the nursing staff [The Fertility Ctr of MI], which has been great. ... But it felt like we were shuttled from one room to another and just left to wait a lot of the time.
Come prepared with questions and be prepared to lead the conversation forward!
She did take time to talk with us and make small talk. But it felt like we were shuttled from one room to another and just left to wait a lot of the time.
I've received good response time when calling the nursing staff, which has been great.
Treated 2016 - 2017
She [Dr. Valerie Shavell] as very honest and open with us at the beginning of our journey with her. She gave us options and let us help her choose our next steps.... She is very soft spoken and down to business at first, but as she gets to know you and your significant other, she warms up and is more personable.... The only issue we had was that she did not perform out IUI. A nurse practitioner did and I was not a fan of that.
The nursing staff [at the Fertility Center of Michigan-Grand Rapids] has been nothing but amazing.... The only issue we had was that she [Dr. Valeri Shavell]did not perform out IUI. A nurse practitioner did and I was not a fan of that. Now that we are starting the IVF process, we have seen her at each appointment and are feeling a lot better about the process... She as very honest and open with us at the beginning of our journey with her. She gave us options and let us help her choose our next steps.
The only issue we had was that she did not perform out IUI. A nurse practitioner did and I was not a fan of that. Now that we are starting the IVF process, we have seen her at each appointment and are feeling a lot better about the process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Ashley )
The nursing staff has been nothing but amazing.
Office visits, procedures, ultra sounds, medications, embryo storage

Treated 2015 - 2016
Difficult as she [Dr. Valerie Shavell] did not provide treatment to me, but the nurse or doctor that worked at the time I was ovulating. Hard to work with so many different professionals but understand why it had to be that way...Hadn’t worked with many singles at the time I worked with them. May have changed now...Spoke to me in caring manner
[The nurses at The Fertility Center of Michigan] Seemed to communicate well with each other so everyone was on the same page about my treatment...Hadn’t worked with many singles at the time I worked with them. May have changed now. Not open on Sundays which is a significant issue; if you’re ready then, they’re closed. Now connected with Spectrum which is helpful for me.
Difficult as she did not provide treatment to me, but the nurse or doctor that worked at the time I was ovulating. Hard to work with so many different professionals but understand why it had to be that way.
Request to have a consult after every failed attempt.
Spoke to me in caring manner
I do not recall
Don’t recall
Didn’t have this
Treated 2015 - 2018
Currently, we are using a hybrid cycle approach (Baseline ultraound CD 1-3 to check for cysts , Letrozole CD 3-7, Gonal F CD 7-9, Mid cycle ultrasound to check on follical growth and trigger shot (ovidrel) when ready to trigger for ovulation) for IUI [with Dr. Valerie Shavell]...I didn't feel the treatment was very personal...was very quiet in her demeanor which left me feeling patronized. Other than that, she is an excellent Dr, very knowledgeable and very honest in her approach. I would recommend her, and the other Dr. at the Fertility Clinic without a doubt.
Clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] had excellent communication, honest staff, and were open reasonable hours. I would say weaknesses would be hours of operation - for those working 8-5pm this means taking considerable amounts of time off of work due to there being no hours of operation prior to or after standard business hours...[nurses were] Very polite, through, and honest. Personable and took time to answer any and all questions I had - which was A LOT!
Dr. Shavell was very quiet in her demeanor which left me feeling patronized. Other than that, she is an excellent Dr, very knowledgeable and very honest in her approach. I would recommend her, and the other Dr. at the Fertility Clinic without a doubt.
Be aware she is a quiet speaker and you are more than able to ask any questions you'd like, she will answer them honestly; without causing you to feel "stupid".
I didn't feel the treatment was very personal
Currently, we are using a hybrid cycle approach (Baseline ultraound CD 1-3 to check for cysts , Letrozole CD 3-7, Gonal F CD 7-9, Mid cycle ultrasound to check on follical growth and trigger shot (ovidrel) when ready to trigger for ovulation) for IUI. We went this route and were approved for up to 3x IUI then moving on to IVF due to my age (35).
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Clinic had excellent communication, honest staff, and were open reasonable hours. I would say weaknesses would be hours of operation - for those working 8-5pm this means taking considerable amounts of time off of work due to there being no hours of operation prior to or after standard business hours.
Cost have been industry standard.
I do not have comments on this area at this time as we are not at this stage yet.
Treated 2017 - 2019
I felt that she was very compassionate, but at times could’ve been a bit more direct about the treatment and my diagnosis. I never really knew I had PCOS in the beginning or really what it meant for my journey. ... Dr. Shavell has always taken the time to talk to my husband throughout our journey. Because of her and the tenure staff at The Fertility Center we were blessed with our son.
The clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is staffed with very knowledgeable doctors and nurses. Every one there really roots for your success and jumps in to support you on your journey. At times it was hard to schedule time sensitive apts bc of my very demanding work schedule and that added a great deal of stress on my plate. The receptionist didn’t seem very understanding.
Ask questions and evaluate all of your options
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is staffed with very knowledgeable doctors and nurses. Every one there really roots for your success and jumps in to support you on your journey. At times it was hard to schedule time sensitive apts bc of my very demanding work schedule and that added a great deal of stress on my plate. The receptionist didn’t seem very understanding.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Efficient, well oiled machine
Treated 2012 - 2018
Loved everything about my experience and continued experience [with Dr. Shavell]. I always feel cared for and like she takes all the time I need. She listens to me and even takes my suggestions like trying a natural cycle. She's honest...She is soft spoken. Don't think she is a push over. She's just calm and takes her time. I really appreciate it. She always gives me a sense of peace...We did frozen embryo transfer using donor embryos. We have unexplained male factor issues. In 2016 it took us 2 attempts to get our daughter and now we are attempting again. We know not every cycle will result in a live birth. She's always hopeful alongside U.S. and reassures us that it should and will "take" it's just a matter of when.
We did frozen embryo transfer using donor embryos [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]. We have unexplained male factor issues. In 2016 it took us 2 attempts to get our daughter and now we are attempting again. [Dr. Shavell is] always hopeful alongside U.S. and reassures us that it should and will "take" it's just a matter of when...Always took her time with me and never rushed. Answered any questions and reassured me I was not crazy.
Loved everything about my experience and continued experience. I always feel cared for and like she takes all the time I need. She listens to me and even takes my suggestions like trying a natural cycle. She's honest.
Super sweet and friendly. Always took her time with me and never rushed. Answered any questions and reassured me I was not crazy.
Treated 2014 - 2017
Dr Shavell is calm and compassionate but not always super reassuring. She doesn’t holdback on explaining low chances of success but ultimately we were successful. She’s a realist and I probably needed more handholding. ... She is pretty direct without a lot of hand holding but does a good job. ... She gave good options for multiple embryos for transfer given my age. ... Clovis and Gemara for IUIs that didn’t work. Gonal F and lots of it for IVF.
You end up a number really until you move to IVF. They [Fertility Center of MI] are high volume and relatively low cost and effective. You only see docs for consult and IVF retrieval and transfer everything else is the nurses. ... A time or two the calls to the mail pharmacy needed to be more timely. ... Fantastic [nurse]! Sandy is why we made it through! ... Rely on her [Dr. Shavell] nurses for the handholding and the optimism and consoling.
Rely on her nurses for the handholding and the optimism and consoling.
She is pretty direct without a lot of hand holding but does a good job.
Clovis and Gemara for IUIs that didn’t work. Gonal F and lots of it for IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sandy)
Fantastic! Sandy is why we made it through!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
You end up a number really until you move to IVF. They are high volume and relatively low cost and effective. You only see docs for consult and IVF retrieval and transfer everything else is the nurses.
$15,000 including meds for IVF
She gave good options for multiple embryos for transfer given my age.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
A time or two the calls to the mail pharmacy needed to be more timely.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Shavell put me at ease with her level of expertise and showcasing our options. Her mannerisms are calm, nurturing and supportive - exactly what is needed during such a difficult time. I really appreciate her level of care provided... After being with my OB for fertility treatment, it is refreshing to be with an RE that is confident in her procedures and uses my personal data, blood work, and ultrasound information to make informed decisions about my procedures and next steps. I truly recommend Dr. Shavell to any person looking for their next options in starting a family in the midwest region. My only regret is not visiting this office sooner!
The Fertility Center has been simply amazing as my husband and I go through our fertility journey... On top of having a team that is knowledgable and professional, the facility itself is extremely clean, relaxing (coffee, water, magazines, tv and fish tank in waiting room)...also offers a support group that means once a month that is free to members, as well as discounted infertility yoga that is exclusively for those trying to conceive...
Dr. Shavell has been a supportive, knowledgeable, and honest physician. After being with my OB for fertility treatment, it is refreshing to be with an RE that is confident in her procedures and uses my personal data, blood work, and ultrasound information to make informed decisions about my procedures and next steps. I truly recommend Dr. Shavell to any person looking for their next options in starting a family in the midwest region. My only regret is not visiting this office sooner!
After working with an OB for 5 medicated cycles, Dr. Shavell makes sure you have a fertility panel done (bloodwork, ultrasound, possible HSG test) before starting treatment. This was extremely helpful knowing what my numbers were to these tests and helped me understand my body a bit more. The more information, the better; which is what you will get with Dr. Shavell!
When I first began seeing Dr. Shavell, she ordered a fertility panel of bloodwork and an HSG test to see if my tubes were open. Most bloodwork was normal except AMH (very high) and my TSH. My husband also had a semen analysis done which came back normal. I was put on metformin and levothyroxine. After, we began with 5 mg femara. I had no response. She upped me to 7.5 femara. Again, I had no response. I was then put on 10 mg of femara. I responded well and grew 1 mature follicle per cycle. I did this 3 times and did the HCG trigger shot when my follicles were considered mature. After three negative pregnancy tests, we decided to move to a more aggressive approach as 3-4 cycles per medication is the norm. We are currently doing 10mg of Femara, 37.5 iu Gonal F, and the HCG trigger shot. I also use progesterone suppositories 3 days after trigger shot. We have also included an IUI with this more aggressive approach. We have 2 more cycles with this approach before our last option is IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Kristy)
The nurses are the fertility center are simply amazing. They are caring and extremely knowledgeable. This helps put my anxious self at ease! I call the office very frequently with questions throughout each cycle and the nurses are always ready to answer my questions. They are truly so supportive which has been extremely helpful throughout this process.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The Fertility Center has been simply amazing as my husband and I go through our fertility journey. This is a difficult journey where you are not sure where it will end, but we have discovered that having a team of physicians and nurses that are knowledgeable, honest and caring has truly helped to put use at ease. On top of having a team that is knowledgable and professional, the facility itself is extremely clean, relaxing (coffee, water, magazines, tv and fish tank in waiting room). The Fertility Center also offers a support group that means once a month that is free to members, as well as discounted infertility yoga that is exclusively for those trying to conceive. The support group and yoga are two excellent features to provide to clients and another reason this center is so extraordinary. They make you feel like they truly care about you and want to support you.
Each visit there is a cost associated with it. Some are covered by insurance where I have a discounted portion to pay (ultrasounds and doctor's visits) while others are not covered at all (IUI, medications): Ultrasounds ($23) IUI ($600) Meeting with a nurse ($23) meeting with a doctor ($180) HCG trigger shot ($90) Femara ($5) Gonal F ($420) Progesterone ($50) HSG ($1200) Various bloodwork combined ($800+) Levothyroxine ($4)
I have not received information on this yet.
Treated 2016 - 2019
We liked her [Dr. Shavell] right away. At our first visit she seemed very intelligent and committed to do everything in her power to help us have a baby. She explains things in great detail which we found very helpful. Her compassion and bedside manner has only improved over the years that we have been under her care. ... She is always very personable with both my husband and I.
They [The Fertility Center of Michigan] are not cookie cutter, they individualize their patients care and do not batch transfers. The office staff is a little less desirable. Mainly some of the front desk staff and some in the billing department. It feels like they often forget what their patients are going through and the financial strains being seen at this office can cause. ... They were very accommodating to my schedule. Sometimes I had to wait a little bit but it usually went very well.
We liked her right away. At our first visit she seemed very intelligent and committed to do everything in her power to help us have a baby. She explains things in great detail which we found very helpful. Her compassion and bedside manner has only improved over the years that we have been under her care.
Take notes at your appointments.
She is always very personable with both my husband and I.
The first round of IVF we used the antagonist protocol and obtained 4 eggs, 3 embryos were created with ICSI. The second retrieval she changed the protocol to the long protocol and 9 eggs were obtained and 7 embryos created with ICSI. I was on 450mg of Gonal F per day for 14 days.
The nursing staff was always there to answer any questions. There are one or two that seem less compassionate then the others but overall great to work with.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are cutting edge and offer most of the latest technologies. They are not cookie cutter, they individualize their patients care and do not batch transfers. The office staff is a little less desirable. Mainly some of the front desk staff and some in the billing department. It feels like they often forget what their patients are going through and the financial strains being seen at this office can cause.
Blood draws are $115. (Progesterone/estradiol) Ultrasounds about $300-350 FET about $4,000 without additional add ons. Egg retrieval/fresh transfer about $9,000 without ad ons.
She did not have a preference and did educate us on the risks of multiples with transferring two.
Grand Rapids
The next cycle she [Dr. Shavell] bumped my clomid dose up to 150 because it still wasn't helping the follicles to develop any sooner or bigger than it had at the 100. That definitely worked. At the next middle ultrasound, I had three good sized follicles instead of only one small one...She took the time to both ask and answer questions about my husband and I. We both felt valued and hopeful after having our consultation visit. She knew exactly which steps we should take next and we both felt confident in her knowledge, abilities and understanding of where we were currently at in our infertility journey.
The fertility center has been super helpful in letting me get lab work done at a place covered by my insurance, so that im not incurring unnecessary costs. They also recommended a cheaper pharmacy that I could get the Ovidrel shot from.(It wasn't covered by my insurance.) I went from paying $170 for the shot to $90...the IUIs that I've done were each $600 out of pocket...This Clinic knows their stuff! They are also just incredibly personable, friendly, compassionate, upbeat people. I definitely felt well guided and cared for during any treatment that I've received there. They help cultivate hope for your situation. I feel very relaxed at this clinic.
When we met with her the first time, we were impressed by her professional manner and knowledge of the process. She was very good at answering the questions that we both had, as well as making questions of us. She made us feel hopeful about our ability to be able to eventually conceive and made us feel like we had many options and possibilities yet to pursue. She has a very calming demeanor, which for me was maybe a little too clam. Where I definitely appreciate that you need to exude peace in what can be a stressful situation in people's lives, I personally love when doctors can make you feel like they understand the particular situation that you're in and still express an upbeat fun attitude. That being said, she was very nice and gentle with the way she talked and discussed different treatment options with us.
Be prepared to feel like you have a wealth of possibilities that you gain from her knowledge. You'll definitely feel like your being cared for and helped, but don't expect an excess of laughter or jokes. She seems to be very calm, steady and even keeled.
After our consultation visit, she decided to do some more lab work that we hadn't previously had yet...testing the ovarian reserve, my thyroid levels and a couple other things that I can't remember. She also decide to increase the dose of Clomid that I had previously been taking from my OB/GYN. (Which is where we started out in this process.) We went from 50 to 100. She also had me schedule a mid cycle ultrasound to measure the developing follicles and thickness of the uterine lining. By upping the dose, she was hoping to stimulate a better response from my follicles than what I had been getting on just the 50. I was also told about the trigger shot ovidrel, and used that to push ovulation. The first Cycle like that we did with just timed intercourse. The next cycle she bumped my clomid dose up to 150 because it still wasn't helping the follicles to develop any sooner or bigger than it had at the 100. That definitely worked. At the next middle ultrasound, I had three good sized follicles instead of only one small one. We moved on to an IUI that cycle...still with the Ovidrel. A nurse in the office actually performed the IUI, not the doctor herself. That both of those cycles ended with a negative pregnancy test. We are currently coming to the end of our third cycle with this Doctor and office. This cycle we did all the same things, 150 cComid, Ovidrel, IUI. (Just one follicle this time, but still on the bigger side.) The only thing that changed this time is that during the mid cycle ultrasound it was noticed that my lining was on the thinner side, so I was prescribe esterase tablets to take vaginally to help thicken the lining. I started taking them cycle day 12 and am still taking them now on cycle day 19. I was advised to take them until I take a pregnancy test..which will be soon. That being said, we don't know the results yet of this current treatment cycle.
The nursing staff at the fertility center are incredible. They are overflowing with compassion. I was almost shocked by the amount of care and concern they showed the first time I had to call in because I had started my period after our first treatment cycle. I felt very cared for and even comforted. For the most part, all of the nurses are warm, compassionate and fun. They are also very knowledgeable and confident in helping you or answering any questions that arise. The nurse I had for my first IUI was so great and talking me through the process and calming any nerves that I had. Great nursing staff!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
My insurance only covered half the cost of ultrasounds and lab work only if it was done somewhere else and then sent to the Fertility center. The fertility center has been super helpful in letting me get lab work done at a place covered by my insurance, so that im not incurring unnecessary costs. They also recommended a cheaper pharmacy that I could get the Ovidrel shot from.(It wasn't covered by my insurance.) I went from paying $170 for the shot to $90. The ultrasounds cost me about $100 after the insurance and the IUIs that I've done were each $600 out of pocket.