4.8

Traverse City, MI 49684
Kalamazoo
317 South Drake Rd
Kalamazoo, MI 49009

I have just switched to Dr shavelle this year although I have been going to their clinic since 2014, I thought maybe I’d give another doc a try to maybe get a 2nd opinion.... after meeting with her she wrote up a plan to first get new bloodwork on everything. Found out I am a probable candidate for PCOS, have high liver enzymes and high blood sugar. Had me meet with my OBGYN to take metformin to level everything out.
I have been going to the clinic [Fertility Ctr of MI] since 2014, I have never thought about switching facilities because they do treat you awesome there. They pretty much know you by name and make you feel right at home. They are overall really on top of things and know what they are doing.... Overall the nursing staff was great and showed empathy. Only one incident there was a ultrasound tech who said something I thought was a little insensitive but that could’ve just been me being overly sensitive
How was your experience with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I officially got diagnosed with infertility 2014. I seen Dr Dodds. He was witty and nice but for a long time I just progressing and doing the same medications over. On my 5th year I decided to stay at the same clinic but try a woman specialist to see maybe if she had a different opinion. I had a consult with her and she wrote up a new plan for me and was very personable. She could tell I was a little discouraged but made me feel at ease and not embarassed or uncomfortable. My only regret is not seeking her out sooner as my result who knows might’ve been a pregnancy already. All the money could’ve went towards ivf if I had known facts sooner and understood.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Be patient as always. You will love her
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I have just switched to Dr shavelle this year although I have been going to their clinic since 2014, I thought maybe I’d give another doc a try to maybe get a 2nd opinion. I had a consult with her in feb and loved how personable she is and made me feel at ease and not just another number. I wish I had seen her sooner as maybe we could’ve moved further had I known facts sooner. Its been a long 5 years.
Describe the protocols Valerie Shavell used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
We looked at my history since 2014. I did countless clomid/femara cycles. I did a couple rounds of ovidrel and one round of follistim. This time after meeting with her she wrote up a plan to first get new bloodwork on everything. Found out I am a probable candidate for PCOS, have high liver enzymes and high blood sugar. Had me meet with my OBGYN to take metformin to level everything out. Had me do an hsg again, and for two cycles use a higher dosage for femara and do 2 iui’s before discussing ivf again. Although no pregnancy I have never had 2 months in a row with mature follicles so I’m thinking the higher dosage of femara has helped. Moving forward I have another consult at the end of this month about ivf. Not sure what the cost and fees are as I’m a little nervous because we have spend so much money on the other medications and feel hopeless. Hoping I will be qualitfied foe this grant, will be life changing
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I have been going to the clinic since 2014, I have never thought about switching facilities because they do treat you awesome there. They pretty much know you by name and make you feel right at home. They are overall really on top of things and know what they are doing. Also ver clean
Grand Rapids
Dr. Shavell is very caring and considerate. She will do everything that she can to help her patients conceive. She is very empathetic to situations and explains in detail different options to choose from when one doesn't work....When we first started our journey with the fertility center, Dr. Shavell had me do blood work and also go in for an ultra sound to check the lining of my uterus and what not. She then proscribed me with femara, I was to take it cycle day 3-7
This clinic [Fertility Ctr of Michigan] is very great at accommodating to every patients needs. They will even open on weekend to preform necessary procedures to ensure your best chances at conceiving. The clinic is very great at making sure each step to your journey is done on time and correctly by helping you set up appointments and also setting reminders by giving you a set outline....The nursing staff were all very nice and considerate of the patients feelings. They know that infertility is a stressful thing to endure so they would always be sure to smile and make you feel warm and welcomed in the atmosphere.
Don't stress and stay calm, everything is very face passed and starts immediately after your consultation. This is to ensure things get to moving and to help you reach your dreams of parenthood as fast as possible.
She made me feel very welcomed and made me feel like she too was eager to help reach our dream of becoming parents. She started right in on what was needed to do so and started treatments right away, she was very genuine and caring throughout everything.
When we first started our journey with the fertility center, Dr. Shavell had me do blood work and also go in for an ultra sound to check the lining of my uterus and what not. She then proscribed me with femara, I was to take it cycle day 3-7. I was monitored with more ultra sounds making sure I was producing eggs and that follicle sizes were where they needed to be. She stated that we could use a trigger shot or ovulation test to see when ovulation occurred. We used ovulation tests and once I got a positive we were to head to the clinic to preform the IUI procedure. On the day of the procedure my husbands count was unfortunately low but Dr. Shavell reassured me that it only takes one, so we went ahead and tried. We however did not convince but we have been on the course of increasing my husbands count with seeing a urologist and him also being on clomid. We hope to try for another IUI here soon!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
This clinic is very great at accommodating to every patients needs. They will even open on weekend to preform necessary procedures to ensure your best chances at conceiving. The clinic is very great at making sure each step to your journey is done on time and correctly by helping you set up appointments and also setting reminders by giving you a set outline. I strongly feel like I did not ever experience any weaknesses with this clinic, everything was great.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
My insurance through my work unfortunately is very limited to what it will cover fertility wise. Some medications were covered like the femara along with ultra sounds. However the IUI procedure was not covered but Dr. Shavell worked with us tremendously with that.
Treated 2016 - 2017
Dr. Shavelle stayed on topic- didn’t ask too many personal questions outside of the topic of fertility issues. Very matter of fact and to the point. However, I felt that she was definitely on a mission to help us achieve our dreams....She explains procedures well, and seeks to answer any and all questions clearly. During consultation appointments, my husband and I never felt rushed or like we were taking up too much of her time.
Nurses [Fertility Ctr of MI] were very close compassionate- I felt listened too, but also had a clear understanding of next steps....At first, you do feel “like a number” because they are very focused on fixing your fertility issues- not too many personal questions were asked of us outside of fertility. However, this was more of a comfort for me because I felt that they wanted to treat my issues ASAP and that I wasn’t alone (many people also experiencing fertility issues right along with me!)
As stated earlier- she is to the point, but caring and “on your team”. She explains procedures well, and seeks to answer any and all questions clearly. During consultation appointments, my husband and I never felt rushed or like we were taking up too much of her time. She didn’t ask too many personal questions outside of the medical/fertility issues, but I believe that’s because she’s very focused on getting you treatment as quickly and efficiently as possible. I fully trusted her.
Come with questions ready to go at appointments, but don’t hesitate to call the office if you have questions after the fact. She and the team are all very helpful.
Dr. Shavelle stayed on topic- didn’t ask too many personal questions outside of the topic of fertility issues. Very matter of fact and to the point. However, I felt that she was definitely on a mission to help us achieve our dreams. Also, I didn’t mind “feeling like a number” at some points. It made me feel not so alone- that other people had issues just like we did.
I did 3 rounds of clomid with ultrasound monitoring appointments and times intercourse. This did not result in pregnancy. Then, after another consultation appointment, I did 2 rounds of Gonal-F injections with IUI (I requested IUI). On the third (and what would have been last round before proceeding to more aggressive treatment) I did injections and no IUI (it was cancelled because follicles were believed to be on blocked side), and I ended up with a positive pregnancy test!
Nurses were very close compassionate- I felt listened too, but also had a clear understanding of next steps.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
My insurance covered medications and all appointments (including monitoring with ultrasound). The only thing we paid for out of pocket was the 2 IUI procedures ($500 each).
Describe Valerie Shavell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Did not receive this treatment.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Shavell has been the most amazing doctor. She has been kind and patient. She presents all the information in clear and respectful ways. She answers all my questions and never makes me feel like I am being rushed or taking up too much of her time. ... Dr. Shavell is warm and extremely knowledgeable with all of her information ...
The clinic [Fertility Center of Michigan] is always clean and tidy. Everyone smiles and say good morning or hi. They typically run on time but every once and awhile you need to wait a few extra minutes which is totally fine. The rooms are very private and also kept clean. Privacy is very respected and patient information is very protected ... They are all knowledgable and respectful
Dr Shavell is caring and respectful. Infertility is one of the toughest challenges my husband and I have faced. It puts my mind at ease knowing that we have such a wonderful doctor helping us attempt to add to our family. Dr. Shavell is warm and extremely knowledgeable with all of her information
Do not hesitate to ask any questions. Dr Shavell will take the time to make sure you have all the knowledge and pieces put in place
Our first round with Dr Shavell has been 5 cycles with Famara and mid cycle ultrasounds. 2 of those cycles have been with iui. We are currently in our two week window of waiting to find out if we achieved pregnancy or not.
They are all knowledgable and respectful
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is always clean and tidy. Everyone smiles and say good morning or hi. They typically run on time but every once and awhile you need to wait a few extra minutes which is totally fine. The rooms are very private and also kept clean. Privacy is very respected and patient information is very protected
Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr shavell was wonderful and understood what we were going through. She was always willing to talk to us about us situation and never rushed through anything...Dr shavell discovered I had pcos so she put me on metformin.... But I kept miscarrying each transfer so we checked my thyroid and I was elevated so we started medication for that... She was always willing to talk to us about us situation and never rushed through anything
I feel they [Fertility Center of MI - nurses] didn’t have as much compassion as the doctors did.... The one thing that was tough was when you had a miscarriage and wanted to try again right away you had to wait to get on the list for the month. Sometimes it was full and they would say you should have signed up sooner-like I knew I was going to miscarry... Dr shavell was wonderful and understood what we were going through.
I always felt very comfortable while working with her. She always put you at ease with all the things you had to go through as a patient. I was always the one that came with a million questions and she never made me feel rushed or just another patient to her
Ask questions and be an advocate for yourself
Dr shavell discovered I had pcos so she put me on metformin. I can’t remember the specifics of the IVF medication treatments. But I kept miscarrying each transfer so we checked my thyroid and I was elevated so we started medication for that
I feel they didn’t have as much compassion as the doctors did. Sometimes I felt like just a number with them
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Treated 2014
Dr. [Shavell] was very professional, but not very personable. I’m sure it is not fun giving your patients potentially bad news. To me though she seemed unsympathetic . Having worked in the care field for close to thirty years I would have liked to have felt more concern and compassion for what we were feeling and going through.... First we tried a cycle of IVI then we were doing shots and monitoring eggs and having timed intercourse
Everyone [at Fertility Center of Michigan] you came in contact with was friendly and made you feel welcome from the first person you saw when you walked in, to the last person as you were leaving. They easily assessable via phone calls and knowledgeable... They [nurses] always answered all our questions, were friendly and compassionate.... Dr. Shaved was very professional, but not very personable. I’m sure it is not fun giving your patients potentially bad news. To me though she seemed unsympathetic .
Dr. Shaved was very professional, but not very personable. I’m sure it is not fun giving your patients potentially bad news. To me though she seemed unsympathetic . Having worked in the care field for close to thirty years I would have liked to have felt more concern and compassion for what we were feeling and going through. I would definitely go there again but I would Ask to see a different Dr..
Be prepared for her to be very candid.
Staff was always very personable.
They always answered all our questions, were friendly and compassionate.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Everyone you came in contact with was friendly and made you feel welcome from the first person you saw when you walked in, to the last person as you were leaving. They easily assessable via phone calls and knowledgeable .
My insurance covered the fee to see the doctor, covered part of the IVF procedure and part of the ultra sound fee. The cost of treatment was definitely a major road block for us
Treated 2013 - 2019
Dr Shavell reviewed everything with us. She was kind and straightforward regarding our options. After the many failures we experienced, she gave us the best option at that point resulting in our son. ... She is the person you want in your corner with fertility treatments. She is kind and forthcoming about what will work best for you are as a person or couple TTC. I can't thank her enough for not giving up on us and giving us the best thing in our lives, our son.
TFC [The Fertility Center of Michigan] was the best decision we made when choosing a clinic. the staff and drs are wonderful and work as a team to help you every step of the way. with multiple locations in Michigan, it was very convenient ... Always treated as VIP when in their [the nursing staff] care. Wonderful staff. ... [the total cost] 36,721.36 ...
Dr Shavell is wonderful doctor. She is the person you want in your corner with fertility treatments. She is kind and forthcoming about what will work best for you are as a person or couple TTC. I can't thank her enough for not giving up on us and giving us the best thing in our lives, our son.
Be open to advice she has to give you.
Always treated as VIP when in their care. Wonderful staff.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
TFC was the best decision we made when choosing a clinic. the staff and drs are wonderful and work as a team to help you every step of the way. with multiple locations in Michigan, it was very convenient.
36,721.36
Mason

I was given the option to either do a single or multiple embryo transfer [by Dr. Valerie Shavell]...I felt as though my opinions mattered and that ultimately I was able to help make the decisions for myself...I felt as though my provider listened to my concerns and looked into my medical record to get a full background so that my consultation wasn’t a waste of time. She also called me personally to discuss some of my lab results and went over the next steps with me which was very helpful.
Strengths [of The Fertility Center of Michigan] are being very timely to get back with lab results and communicate what the next steps are. When I called the clinic with concerns I was take seriously and I was gotten in to the clinic for a follow up quickly...The nursing staff provided a lot of information that was helpful and they made it clear that if you ever had any questions to not be afraid to call...Some costs that seemed to be optional ended up being costs that were required for successful treatment
Be honest and tell them what’s really on your mind.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Strengths are being very timely to get back with lab results and communicate what the next steps are. When I called the clinic with concerns I was take seriously and I was gotten in to the clinic for a follow up quickly.
I was given the option to either do a single or multiple embryo transfer
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I was told to start on a medication but it was never called into the pharmacy.
Grand Rapids
The clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is very small and I was unsure where to enter. Once inside the office is very inviting...The nursing staff were very nice and compassionate...We just had a consult. She [Dr. Valerie Shavell] told me the process of IVF and explained every step...let me know that I could choose the number of embryos to transfer whether it be single or 2...She understood my struggle and said that we would find a way to create a family. She is compassionate and empathetic...She let me know how the process would work and the potential outcome. She offered all of the options to help afford the procedure due to it being so expensive
Dr shavell was understanding and thoroughly explained every aspect of IVF. She let me know how the process would work and the potential outcome. She offered all of the options to help afford the procedure due to it being so expensive
Ask all the questions that you have. Dr shavell is willing to answer and explain everything
We just had a consult. She told me the process of IVF and explained every step.
The nursing staff were very nice and compassionate.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is very small and I was unsure where to enter. Once inside the office is very inviting. I may not go back to the Mason office and instead go to the grand rapids office due to it being close to the same distance
Office visits are covered under my insurance but I will have to pay out of pocket for all drugs and treatment due to fertility not being covered with my insurance
Dr shavell let me know that I could choose the number of embryos to transfer whether it be single or 2