4.8

Kalamazoo
317 South Drake Rd
Kalamazoo, MI 49009

Treated 2015 - 2020
One week before the transfer, we discovered my remaining tube now was blocked and had hydro. She [Dr. Valerie Shavell] did another laparoscopy to remove it. And we are waiting for Covid to be stable before doing the transfer our last two remaining embryos...She seems to prefer two embryos while giving the risks of multiple pregnancies but letting us know that the success rates are higher with transferring two vs one...She was extremely sympathetic while waiting for an imminent miscarriage. She has great bedside manner and expresses empathy for the ups and downs of the process.
IUIs - a couple hundred each [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]...IVF retrieval with fresh - $8000 plus meds...frozen transfer - $4500 plus meds...The whole process takes longer than you want it to. 2 months for the consult, then the testing might take a month or two to do labs at certain times of your cycle. There is a small month or two wait list for IVF and it all depends on where you are in your cycle too. The clinic is well run, everyone is super friendly and supportive.
How was your experience with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Shavell was fantastic from the very beginning. I've done three IUIs, one egg retrieval, and three transfers that have resulted in my two children. We are currently under her care for another transfer for hopefully baby #3. She doesn't rush to the next treatment unless she feels it's the right move, included us in the decisions as well. She's performed two laparoscopy surgeries on me and has been very attentive to an issues or questions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
She is a bit softer spoken. But she answers all questions thoroughly and is extremely empathetic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the protocols Valerie Shavell used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
We did three IUIs while knowing that one tube was blocked and the other was damaged. It felt okay trying this before going to IVF. Before IVF, she removed the blocked tub because it had hydro in it. We did an egg retrieval and fresh transfer of two embryos that resulted in a singleton pregnancy that resulted in a miscarriage at 11 weeks. We did a fresh transfer of two embryos that resulted in a twin pregnancy, but we lost one baby at 9 weeks, but it resulted in my healthy first born daughter. We returned two years later and did another frozen transfer of two embryos that resulted in my second healthy daughter. We are currently under care for another transfer. One week before the transfer, we discovered my remaining tube now was blocked and had hydro. She did another laparoscopy to remove it. And we are waiting for Covid to be stable before doing the transfer our last two remaining embryos.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Very easy to communicate via phone or message. Answered all my questions that came and got me in contact with the dr as needed.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Valerie Shavell at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
IUIs - a couple hundred each IVF retrieval with fresh - $8000 plus meds frozen transfer - $4500 plus meds
Describe Valerie Shavell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I had called on cycle day 1 and was to start meds on cycle day 21, at one point I called for another reason and they acted surprised that I had started meds. It appears like a nurse didn't record my cycle day 1 notes and that she had given me a start date for the meds. Everything was fine, they did have me scheduled for that month and everything proceeded fine.
Treated 2020
Just pushed through a process [with Dr. Shavell]...I frequently saw different providers and got mixed messages about my treatment and next steps. I later went onto another clinic and found out that this clinic missed my diagnosis of PCOS...We did cycles with progesterone. Cycles with progesterone and femara, had an ectopic pregnancy that took weeks to make a decision on. Doctors couldn’t agree on the treatment they wanted to do.
Just pushed through a process [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]...I felt like the clinic had too much going on to focus on the individuals. I frequently saw different providers and got mixed messages about my treatment and next steps. I later went onto another clinic and found out that this clinic missed my diagnosis of PCOS...We did cycles with progesterone. Cycles with progesterone and femara, had an ectopic pregnancy that took weeks to make a decision on. Doctors couldn’t agree on the treatment they wanted to do.
Do your research. Make sure you know what you are willing to do and your expected timeline for results. Be meticulous with your budget. Things get very expensive very quickly.
Just pushed through a process
Most of the nurses were great and compassionate!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The office is very nice and clean. The front office staff could be friendlier and more compassionate for sure. At times it was rather difficult to get ahold of people and get answers. I ended up leaving for another clinic because I felt like just a number that was shuffled about.
My insurance did cover most of my procedures but that was because the clinic kept me at a minimal level of care that did not result in pregnancy. I ended up paying about $1000 for a few failed cycles and no resulting pregnancy.
No comment
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
As stated earlier, I felt like a number. I didn’t feel like the clinic was overly motivated to get me pregnant.
Treated 2018 - 2019
I've only ever seen Dr. Shavell twice in two years, during consults. She's very sweet, but she has nurses perform IUI procedures (and not very well), a different doctor performed my HSG and any time I place a call or send a message to her directly it's always a nurse that responds...We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility though and given a packet of pre-determined steps with none ever working for us. Our care is really left in the hands of nurses, we never hear from the doctor or see her during/after procedures and ultrasounds unless we want to pay out of pocket for another consult.
All [the nurses at The Fertility Center of Michigan] are kind. Very disappointed they are the ones that perform the IUI though. Had two different nurses and neither really inspired confidence, they knew what to do just didn't seem to have much skill in it. Neither IUI worked and it was $1,400 down the drain...Terrible business hours for anyone that works a regular job and is expected to drive back and forth multiple times a month in the middle of the day for ultrasounds. The staff there also seems to forget everything is being paid out of pocket by most of us and every time we come we're charged hundreds of dollars, and are disapproving when trying to minimize appointments. The front registration staff are phenomenal.
Dr. Shavell is very nice and soft spoken, easy to talk to. We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility though and given a packet of pre-determined steps with none ever working for us. Our care is really left in the hands of nurses, we never hear from the doctor or see her during/after procedures and ultrasounds unless we want to pay out of pocket for another consult.
You're just one of many. She is kind and knowledgeable but don't plan for her to actually be involved in your care unless you're doing IVF.
HSG that came back normal, 3 rounds of clomid, 4 rounds of Femara in attempt to see if any of these things would produce more follicles to increase chances of pregnancy. I was already ovulating on my own and ended up with multiple follicles twice. Also went on estrogen and progesterone to thicken lining when Femara thinned it. No success from any treatments.
All are kind. Very disappointed they are the ones that perform the IUI though. Had two different nurses and neither really inspired confidence, they knew what to do just didn't seem to have much skill in it. Neither IUI worked and it was $1,400 down the drain.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Expensive, my insurance doesn't cover most of it. Ultrasounds are frequent and usually cost $175-250 depending on limited or complete (although even when charging for complete ultrasound the cervix isn't evaluated and a VERY fast sweep of the uterus is performed that's not very diagnostic). IUIs were around 700 each time, the HSG was probably closer to 1000 but I can't remember the exact numbers for sure. Consults are over 100, and then another 50 every time I talk to a nurse in the clinic after ultrasounds.
Not to that point yet
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Shavell is so empathetic she almost comes off as meek in the consult room, which might be good for some people, but I prefer a doctor to be blunt and tell me like it is. She did perform surgery when I had an ectopic pregnancy and she's much more to the point in the operating room so I was happy with that and she did a great job...The third IUI was positive, but resulted in an ectopic pregnancy found at the 6 week ultrasound. Dr. Shavell recommended methotrexate to terminate the pregnancy. That was followed by two weeks of Beta HCG blood tests every few days and my numbers weren't going down. She recommended a second dose of methotrexate over surgery and that was also ineffective. Two weeks later I fi
you're always seeing someone different [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] so there's bound to be conflicting information...We paid around $35K in 2019 for 1 IUI, 1 egg retrieval + fresh transfer, 2 FET's, meds, labs, etc., etc... think they do a good job for the most part. The reception staff is very sweet. The medical assistants, ultrasound techs, etc. are really compassionate and willing to do whatever they can to help you out. The one thing I would change if I could, is being able to see my primary doctor/nurse for every appointment/procedure. They are so busy that you basically just see whoever is available. Which makes sense since fertility is such a time sensitive thing and comes down to the day you're ovulating so they can't always be available for you, but another doctor/nurse always is.
I would suggest going into an appointment prepared with lots of questions to ask. I've done a lot of my own research and make lists of things I want to ask her about.
Dr. Shavell is empathetic and really spends the time to help my husband and I by explaining everything and letting us ask a ton of questions.
I've done 4 IUI's under Dr. Shavell's primary care. At the Fertility Center you basically see whichever doctor or nurse is available during your procedures though so a lot of these protocols were assigned by other providers. Each IUI cycle started with Clomid cycle days 3-5, midcycle ultrasound ~day 10-12, IUI ~day 13-15. The first two were negative. The third IUI was positive, but resulted in an ectopic pregnancy found at the 6 week ultrasound. Dr. Shavell recommended methotrexate to terminate the pregnancy. That was followed by two weeks of Beta HCG blood tests every few days and my numbers weren't going down. She recommended a second dose of methotrexate over surgery and that was also ineffective. Two weeks later I finally had surgery to remove the ectopic pregnancy and my fallopian tube. After methotrexate you have to wait 3 months to conceive so we did a 4th and final IUI that was negative. At that point we jumped into IVF and prepping for egg retrieval. I can't remember the protocol, but it involved Menopur and Ganirelix, etc. The ER was very successful with 18 eggs retrieved, 17 mature and fertilized, 14 made it to day 3. We did a 3 day fresh transfer with 2 embryos and froze the remaining 12. The result was negative. We waited a month or so and then began to prep for frozen embryo transfer. It was a long lupron protocol. We transferred 2 embryos, which resulted in miscarriage at ~5.5 weeks. We waited another month and began the same long lupron protocol again. We decided to thaw all frozen 10 embryos to grow them out to blastocyst with the goal of weeding out some that may be weaker. They all survived thaw and made it to blast. We transferred 2 and refroze the remaining 8. This cycle ended in a chemical pregnancy. We were getting ready to do some additional testing (hysteroscopy to check for fibroids, etc. and chromosome mapping) before moving forward with the next cycle, but everything is now on hold due to Covid-19. We will also do an ERA cycle prior to the next FET.
They are wonderful and compassionate in their communication.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I think they do a good job for the most part. The reception staff is very sweet. The medical assistants, ultrasound techs, etc. are really compassionate and willing to do whatever they can to help you out. The one thing I would change if I could, is being able to see my primary doctor/nurse for every appointment/procedure. They are so busy that you basically just see whoever is available. Which makes sense since fertility is such a time sensitive thing and comes down to the day you're ovulating so they can't always be available for you, but another doctor/nurse always is.
I would estimate that each IUI costs around $1500 including drugs, ultrasounds, and procedure. They don't bill insurance for the male portion, but they've billed my insurance for everything else and majority of it has been covered by Blue Care Network. We've paid 100% out of pocket for IVF as our insurance does not cover. We paid around $35K in 2019 for 1 IUI, 1 egg retrieval + fresh transfer, 2 FET's, meds, labs, etc., etc.
Dr. Shavell has had no problem transferring two embryos each time, but has made sure to ask that we are ok with the higher chance of having multiples.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Like I stated before in the weaknesses, you're always seeing someone different so there's bound to be conflicting information. I always take the information given and then if I feel like I need a second opinion I'll call and speak with a different nurse/doctor over the phone to get their opinion/confirm what I was told/was recommended to me. I had one IUI cycle cancelled due to intolerance of drugs prescribed. I took the Clomid as instructed and the doctor also put me on Estradiol to help give my lining a boost. Apparently Estradiol can basically cancel out the clomid in some women so my follicles stopped progressing that cycle. After four rounds of clomid, I've now been told that clomid can actually cause a thin lining, which was my issue, so they switched to Femera for the last two cycles and that really helped thicken my lining.

Treated 2017 - 2019
Dr. Shavell was very thorough from the very first consultation. ... When it was time to delve into the more difficult news, the information was provided in an informing and caring manner. ... The laparoscopy resulted in finding and removing stage 2 endometriosis. Dr. Shavell wanted to try IUI again now that we found a potential cause. ... Everything looked just fine for implantation and the mock transfer went smoothly as well.
The billing department and front desk staff [The Fertility Center of MI] have had billing miscommunications within their computer system. The front desk staff would have us pay off our entire balance and then I'd receive a bill for services we already paid for and they would say what we paid must have been applied to a different procedure balance. No one could actually identify the issue so we just paid what they said we owed and we haven't had a problem since.
Dr. Shavell was very thorough from the very first consultation. There was a lot of information to take in but it provided me with everything I needed to know and to further research myself. Any questions resulting from my research and conversations with others in similar situations were always received positively and answered appropriately no matter how silly some questions may have sounded. She was more available to the nurses than me, however. She did not conduct the 7 IUIs but still communicated with the nurses before starting the next round. Although she was not available to conduct my laparoscopy, she did my pre-op and post-op and made sure I was very comfortable and doing well. Most recently she did my sonohysterogram and mock embryo transfer and was very gentle and calming through the discomfort. She ensured all parts were in working fashion to proceed with IVF in the coming month.
If you feel like you need a face to face meeting, do not be scared to call and make the appointment. It can be difficult playing phone tag with the nurses who have to communicate with the doctors and then back to you. It can be time consuming, especially if you miss phone calls due to work or other daily activities.
Dr. Shavell was always kind and sensitive to the nature of our conversations. When it was time to delve into the more difficult news, the information was provided in an informing and caring manner. Our meetings weren't rushed. After providing a certain amount of information she always asked if I had any questions instead of dumping a ton of information at once and waiting until the end to ask if I had questions. It is always difficult to remember so much, but with the breaks for questioning between information, it made it feel more human and personable.
The first test I had completed was an HSG. Everything looked perfect with no signs of obstructions. Dr. Shavell mentioned there is some research showing women getting pregnant in the following three months. Unfortunately that was not the case for me. We started a cycle of clomid in December 2017 with a trigger shot of Ovidrel followed with an IUI. A negative pregnancy was the result. We continued with the same protocol for 3 more IUIs. Dr. Shavell provided statistics that show IUIs increasing positive outcomes after 3 IUIs, again they all resulted in negative pregnancy tests. We had a meeting with Dr. Shavell to discuss the next steps. She stated she would like to see my egg quantity and quality response with a protocol of pills and injectables with IUI. We switched to letrozole pills as I started having very bad headaches and long lasting nausea with clomid, and added Gonal F 75 IU daily, triggered with ovidrel followed with IUI. We did this for 2 rounds and both resulted in negative pregnancy tests. However, there was an increase in the number of follicles and size. At this point I could not continue to see negative tests and chose to take a month off. We met again and discussed having a laparoscopy to inspect the outside of my anatomy. We had a good pre-op conversation consisting of laparoscopy information and IVF information. The laparoscopy resulted in finding and removing stage 2 endometriosis. Dr. Shavell wanted to try IUI again now that we found a potential cause. We did IUI with letrozole, gonal f, and ovidrel. Another negative pregnancy test. That was the final IUI. Being that I was provided with IVF information a few months prior, I decided to schedule an IVF consultation in January 2019. The meeting was with an IVF nurse and she provided all the procedures,medication, and protocol information Dr. Shavell wants me to do. I was scheduled for a Sonohysterogram and mock embryo transfer with Dr. Shavell February 7, 2019. Here she wanted to get a better view of inside the uterus to ensure there weren't fibroids, polyps, scar tissue or other abnormalities that would prevent implantation. Everything looked just fine for implantation and the mock transfer went smoothly as well. Dr. Shavell will carry out my egg retrieval and embryo transfer in March 2019.
The nursing staff was fairly easy to communicate with. In most cases I left voicemails for them and they would call back. Some of my messages may have been long and it seemed like they may not have listened to all of it at times. Regardless, they still answered my questions after getting them on the phone and mentioning it again. The nurses carried out the IUIs and were as gentle as possible and comforting. They were able to provide information regarding the seman sample prewash and postwash prior to the IUI. The IVF nurse who did my IVF consult was very thorough and informative.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic has a lot of staff so you may not always be familiar with who you are speaking to. The billing department and front desk staff have had billing miscommunications within their computer system. The front desk staff would have us pay off our entire balance and then I'd receive a bill for services we already paid for and they would say what we paid must have been applied to a different procedure balance. No one could actually identify the issue so we just paid what they said we owed and we haven't had a problem since. The clinic is very clean and well organized. Be aware, that some fertility clinics have separate areas for those with no children and not pregnant and those who have children or currently pregnant, this is not one of those clinics. You will frequently walk into the waiting room where there are multiple children per family. Anyone of the more sensitive nature may feel uncomfortable.
We do not have infertility insurance, however we do have coverage for monitoring and some procedures such as the HSG and laparoscopy which resulted in significant savings. Ultrasounds performed at one of their smaller locations (Mason) were typically $180 or $75 after insurance. However, if it was one of the Doctors that did the ultrasound as an ultrasound technician wasn't available, an extra $30 was added. If they were done at the Grand Rapids office, regardless of who did it, an extra $30 was tacked on. The bill would show it as a meeting, even though no meeting took place, it was just the ultrasound. IUIs were out of pocket. For the semen wash and the procedure it was $500 per IUI, we did this 4 times. Pricing changed and the IUIs were then $600 per, we did this 3 more times. The laparoscopy was a reasonable and fair price. For IVF, we will be paying $9,867 just for the procedures. This price includes the $1,850 we paid for a case management fee. We have a $8,017 balance due at the end of February 2019.
Dr. Shavell provided statistics on the success rates of single vs. Multiple embryo transfer along with specific criteria as to why a two embryo transfer is ideal for me. As I do not meat criteria for increased high risk pregnancy, we both agreed a two embryo transfer is ideal. She made sure to discuss the possibility of selective aborting if there were more than 2 or 3 developing babies.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
The only issue was a billing issue. The front desk provided a remaining balance for specific procedures while the billing department had a different balance for those same procedures. We simply paid the billing departments balance and haven't had an issue since. Although no one could pinpoint exactly what procedures were outstanding balances when our receipts showed they were all paid. We basically paid just so it didn't drag on.
Treated 2014 - 2019
Embryo Freezing
We are on our second round of testing through Yale doing the Endometrial Function Test [with Dr. Shavell]...treating the endometriosis by doing 2 months of Lupron prior to testing month. We are also adjusting estrogen and progesterone doses...is super compassionate. You can also tell that she wants to hear from you, how you are feeling and what your concerns are. She will take what you are saying and will fully consider how it could potentially be affecting your treatment. I also feel as if she has never given up on us, even though we have not yet been able to concieve. She continues to sign to try to figure it out.
When I first started going to the clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] it felt unorganized. Since then, I have noticed that they have done a good job about putting out surveys and I feel as if they have really taken the information and made changes. The last couple of years have been much better...For the most part the nurses in the office are nothing but excellent. There have been times however where I have felt as if they were not familiar with my case or where I was with my protocol. When I would ask questions I felt as if rather than reviewing my filing and getting be solid information, I would receive some guess work. This has only happened a couple of times. For the most part they are on the ball.
As a patient, I would highly recommend her. She is well educated and compassionate. She has an awesome bed sideanner and you truly feel like she is listening. She also has so e a great job of trying to figure our case out by tapping into the knowledge of her partners and other fertility clinic.
When you do get time with her, ensure you write down all of your questions before hand so you don't forget anything. She is great but you don't get a ton of one on one time with her.
Dr. Shavelle is super compassionate. You can also tell that she wants to hear from you, how you are feeling and what your concerns are. She will take what you are saying and will fully consider how it could potentially be affecting your treatment. I also feel as if she has never given up on us, even though we have not yet been able to concieve. She continues to sign to try to figure it out.
Round 1 -Egg retrieval and fresh transfer using Gonal F, Menpur, and Cetrotide. - chemical pregnancy Round 2 Frozen embryo transfer using Lupron, Estrace, Progesterone. - negative Round 3 - Frozen embryo transfer using Lupron, Estrace, and resistant uterine protocol of ibuprofen, Xanax, prednisone. - negative Round 4 - Frozen embryo transfer, stimulation cycle using gonal. Thought was that I responded better to stimulation rather than suppression - negative Round 5 - Did an Endometrial Receptivity test prior to frozen embryo transfer. Showed I needed 12 less hours of prednisone if following previously used stimulation protocol. Negative Round 6 - Full retrieval with PGS testing of embryos followed by a frozen embryo transfer with previously suggested protocol from ERA. Negative Round 7 - yet to transfer. We are on our second round of testing through Yale doing the Endometrial Function Test. First round showed potential endometriosis and that I was taking too much progesterone. With this second round of testing we are treating the endometriosis by doing 2 months of Lupron prior to testing month. We are also adjusting estrogen and progesterone doses.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
When I first started going to the clinic it felt unorganized. Since then, I have noticed that they have done a good job about putting out surveys and I feel as if they have really taken the information and made changes. The last couple of years have been much better.
For all treatment thus far, we have spent almost $80,000.
Dr. Shavelle has always been very honest about how many embryos are recommended. It seems that the office has protocols as to how many they are willing to transfer in which situations.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
As previously mentioned, I believe that changes have been made in the last couple of years to help make the clinic more well run and organized. There was one time where the MA failed to send in my prescription refill. There was one time where a nurse did not understand my particular case and gave me wrong medication information. Other than that, they have been great.
Treated 2018 - 2019
[Dr. Shavell] has a very kind and caring demeanor. She is gentle while knowledgeable. I never felt like I was just another appointment in her book. She never seemed to be in a rush and always took time to answer our questions and give thorough explanations...We left every appointment feeling like we knew what was happening. Anytime we didn't get the result we wanted, she immediately came up with a plan of action which left us feeling confident, and in the end, got the result we wanted.
The entire staff at TFC were friendly, helpful, and professional...All of the staff are attentive and professional. The clinic itself is clean, organized, and welcoming. As my wife and I are a same-sex couple, we are always a little apprehensive about how we will be treated but this was absolutely a non-issue at TFC (thanks for the rainbow flag at the front desk!). We never had to wait too long for our appointments. Whether we were having a financial consultation, a sperm donor consultation, an ultrasound, or the procedure itself - we felt well taken care of and had an overall great experience.
Overall we had a great experience with Dr. Shavell. She has a very calming personality which is a huge positive for those undergoing something that is already anxiety-provoking, such as fertility treatments. She is thorough, knowledgeable, and always took the time to speak with us. She answered all questions no matter how big or small. We left every appointment feeling like we knew what was happening. Anytime we didn't get the result we wanted, she immediately came up with a plan of action which left us feeling confident, and in the end, got the result we wanted.
If you are looking for a doctor who is calm, warm, sympathetic, and attentive, Dr. Shavell would be a great fit for you. Her quiet nature is immediately calming and reassuring. If you prefer a doctor who is a little more firm or hard-lined, she would not be a good fit.
Dr. Shavell has a very kind and caring demeanor. She is gentle while knowledgeable. I never felt like I was just another appointment in her book. She never seemed to be in a rush and always took time to answer our questions and give thorough explanations.
We tried a natural cycle for our first IUI. Actually, I miscalculated my ovulation and when we went in for our mid-cycle ultrasound, we learned that I had already ovulated and it was too late. Dr. Shavell reassured us that we could try again the following cycle, which we did. She had me come in earlier, and quite often throughout the week, to track follicle growth to ensure we didn't miss the window of opportunity this time. I was prescribed the trigger shot (Ovidrell) to administer at midnight on a Saturday so that we could do the IUI on a Monday. Dr. Shavell was the one to perform the IUI. It was a simple and quick procedure. Unfortunately we did not get pregnant from that try. A few months later we tried for the 2nd time with similar protocol - ovulation tracking through an OPK in the mornings and then tracking follicle growth via ultrasound as the time grew closer. There was no need for a trigger shot this time; I ovulated on a Thursday morning and went in right away for the IUI (which was performed by a nurse, not Dr. Shavell). The nurse inserted a mesh plug after the procedure. Two weeks later we got our positive result!
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Francillia (Fran) Tavernier)
The entire staff at TFC were friendly, helpful, and professional. We worked the closest with Fran, who showed great communication and compassion. We really developed a positive relationship with her and felt like she truly cared about us and our journey. Fran was always available via phone or email and would check in with us often.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
TFC is a wonderful clinic. All of the staff are attentive and professional. The clinic itself is clean, organized, and welcoming. As my wife and I are a same-sex couple, we are always a little apprehensive about how we will be treated but this was absolutely a non-issue at TFC (thanks for the rainbow flag at the front desk!). We never had to wait too long for our appointments. Whether we were having a financial consultation, a sperm donor consultation, an ultrasound, or the procedure itself - we felt well taken care of and had an overall great experience.
We used all of the money from our wedding to cover our costs, so we did not have to pay out of pocket. If I had to do an overall estimate of the total cost, it would be about $10,000.

Treated 2014 - 2019
Dr. Shavell has a very gentle and patient bedside manner. She has a way of putting the anxious mind at ease and is very accommodating to any special needs...As a woman who has gone through several pregnancy losses, the promptness and compassion Dr. Shavell has shown me was invaluable. I am so grateful for all of her help and highly recommend her to anyone seeking thorough and compassionate treatment...has always honestly and thoroughly discussed my treatment options with me while demonstrating kindness and compassion. I was impressed by how thoroughly she reviewed and understood my particular infertility history prior to my initial consultation. She keeps in close communication with me and has always made me feel I could speak openly with her about my treatment plan.
The staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] is very friendly and compassionate. The nurses are highly trained and a good resource for patients with questions. They usually can get me in for my appointments at my requested time and have always been able to bring me in for same-day evaluations in emergent situations...The nursing staff was always friendly and available. They were well-educated and able to thoroughly answer my questions.
Dr. Shavell has always honestly and thoroughly discussed my treatment options with me while demonstrating kindness and compassion. I was impressed by how thoroughly she reviewed and understood my particular infertility history prior to my initial consultation. She keeps in close communication with me and has always made me feel I could speak openly with her about my treatment plan.
Dr. Shavell took the time to thoroughly review my fertility history and discuss my options in a kind, yet honest, manner. On multiple occasions she went above and beyond for me, including staying into the late hours of the evening to care for me after my surgery and arriving before her scheduled office hours to evaluate me for bleeding while I was pregnant. As a woman who has gone through several pregnancy losses, the promptness and compassion Dr. Shavell has shown me was invaluable. I am so grateful for all of her help and highly recommend her to anyone seeking thorough and compassionate treatment.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The staff is very friendly and compassionate. The nurses are highly trained and a good resource for patients with questions. They usually can get me in for my appointments at my requested time and have always been able to bring me in for same-day evaluations in emergent situations.
Treated 2015 - 2019
She [Dr. Shavell] went out of her way to personally call me. It was greatly heartfelt and appreciated. ... After 3 failed IUI attempts and 2 additional rounds of femara that also failed, it was so heartbreaking! We just started our 2nd round of IVF. We will be doubling all of our dosages for injections and taking a stronger approach. ... She personally took time out of her day to call me and apologize for the situation even though it was not any fault of her own.
They [The Fertility Center of Michigan] are very good with scheduling. I generally get a call back within a few hours if they are experiencing high call volumes. The only downfall is that you do not see the Dr.s very often at all for how much they are charging you. Be very prepared to see staff members often. It is extremely expensive for fertility treatments, you have many additional costs that are not included in the overall IVF package they quote. This would include bloodwork, and ultrasounds. Something we thought should be included with the pricing.
We had to cancel an egg retrieval which was so disheartening after finishing half of our shots/medications. She personally took time out of her day to call me and apologize for the situation even though it was not any fault of her own.
Be open minded through the process as things change often. Be more prepared to talk to all of the staff and nurses and ask many questions. You truly don't talk to the Dr often.
She went out of her way to personally call me. It was greatly heartfelt and appreciated.
We decided to do a full IVF cycle. My body decided to produce one very large egg (many other small eggs that just would not be able to catch up) which resulted in having to postpone our IVF. After 3 failed IUI attempts and 2 additional rounds of femara that also failed, it was so heartbreaking! We just started our 2nd round of IVF. We will be doubling all of our dosages for injections and taking a stronger approach. Nothing like watching your dreams being crushed 6 different times. Still we remain positive and continue on. We are definitely praying for a healthy miracle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Libby)
I cannot say enough good things about Libby. She answers every question I have with such care and compassion. I have seen a few nurses, but she just seems to stand out with her personal care.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are very good with scheduling. I generally get a call back within a few hours if they are experiencing high call volumes. The only downfall is that you do not see the Dr.s very often at all for how much they are charging you. Be very prepared to see staff members often. It is extremely expensive for fertility treatments, you have many additional costs that are not included in the overall IVF package they quote. This would include bloodwork, and ultrasounds. Something we thought should be included with the pricing.
We have personally spent over $25,000 and counting for fertility treatments. It is extremely overwhelming financially when you're constantly getting a bill for treatment plans and services. It hits harder after a failed attempt where you have to pay for more injections or medications. IVF and fertility are extremely expensive at this center. It is our closest option for being able to make appointments on a regular routine basis.
We thought it best to do a multiple embryo transfer after much discussion with our Dr. This next month feels like a standstill for time.
Grand Rapids
I feel the protocols for cycles are explained [by Dr. Valerie Shavell] but not alternatives or other options. It’s more of a this is it unless I were to press. I also have yet to hear risks associated except regarding OHSS and multiples...Simply told me that I could have no more than 2 transferred but I was given many many handouts on single embryo transfer...I feel like now after two failed transfers she remembers me and is ready and willing to work with me on our plan for the next cycle. Not as another number.
You need to be adamant about communication or you can get lost in the shuffle [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]. I needed help with a grant and the nurse consulting me did not make notes so I missed a deadline on a potentially huge opportunity. But honestly it’s probably because they are focused on care and treatments, not busy paperwork. So I can respect that...LOVE the nursing staff at the fertility center!!! Can’t say enough good things.
I think she is compassionate and caring, but until you are a committed patient and on the schedule I did not feel taken seriously. Now that I’ve gone through a few cycles I feel that we have a doctor patient relationship built.
Ask questions.
I feel the protocols for cycles are explained but not alternatives or other options. It’s more of a this is it unless I were to press. I also have yet to hear risks associated except regarding OHSS and multiples.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
LOVE the nursing staff at the fertility center!!! Can’t say enough good things.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
You need to be adamant about communication or you can get lost in the shuffle. I needed help with a grant and the nurse consulting me did not make notes so I missed a deadline on a potentially huge opportunity. But honestly it’s probably because they are focused on care and treatments, not busy paperwork. So I can respect that.
They seem competitive, although I wish the ‘case management’ fee was explained more because it seems quite steep without explanation. They do give a discount on FET’s following a failed cycle.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I think a lot went right but I just have had more experiences with the paperwork/clinical side of things. As far as IVF/FET treatments things have all gone right so far except a successful cycle.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Valerie [Dr. Shavell] has always been very warm...In the beginning we did state we wanted to do embryo adoption right off the bat and were told to do 3 iuis first, which all failed which was discouraging. We wasted a lot of money and time for it not to work. But shavell has always been reassuring and positive!...First IUI was a natural cycle and it failed. Second cycle we used clomid and trigger shot, it was very hard to get through my uterus and ended up having to do an ultrasound, that cycle failed. Third cycle was clomid, estrace, and trigger shot with ultrasound guidance, that failed as well. All 3 cycles were with donor sperm. I just started week 2 of lupron shots as we start our frozen embryo adoption cycle.
They [staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan] are pretty good at listening to what the patient wants and what they expect. They have been known to run late, i think we've been taken back on time 3 times in total out of all of our apppintments. Front desk is always kind and knows us by name, billing had been a dream to work with, makes things easy! And the embryo RN has been unbelievable! She has really been there for us. We've emailed back and forth countless times, everytime my questions get answered.
Valerie has always been very warm anf compassionate. In the beginning we did state we wanted to do embryo adoption right off the bat and were told to do 3 iuis first, which all failed which was discouraging. We wasted a lot of money and time for it not to work. But shavell has always been reassuring and positive!
She is almost overly kind sometimes, but thats important when dealing with such sensitive topics.
Valerie always made time to talk with us, in person or via phone. She was kind and compassionate and never was trying to answer questions quickly just to get us iut the door.
Some were amazing, some were there because it is there job. But more good than bad.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Overall the clinic is very warm and inviting. They are currently short staffed, so it can take time to hear back from someone which can be hard at times but that is out of their control. They are pretty good at listening to what the patient wants and what they expect. They have been known to run late, i think we've been taken back on time 3 times in total out of all of our apppintments. Front desk is always kind and knows us by name, billing had been a dream to work with, makes things easy! And the embryo RN has been unbelievable! She has really been there for us. We've emailed back and forth countless times, everytime my questions get answered.
Expensive! But in Michigan most insurance doesn't over anything for infertility. Ive had 4 or 5 ultrasounds each being between $275-$350. 3 iuis each $550, multiple appointments ranging from $200-500 each time. Medications have been about $900 so far, male factor testing has been almost $2,000, my testing has been about the same at $2,000. We just paid almost $10,000 for embryo adoption.
Valerie recommended a single transfer due to my age but was VERY receptive that we wanted to transfer 2, and we will be transfering 2 hopefully in May
Grand Rapids
She [Dr. Shavell] talked me through my first IUI procedure as she did everything. She has the most calming voice I've ever heard. She is so nice and I am so glad I am seeing her...listened to our stories and looked closely at everything we had presented her with. She fixed my leutal phase with progesterone and had given us the blunt info that we needed to see that my husband's sperm was fine but definitely needs some help. She performed my first IUI and she was calm and explained everything. She is great
I emailed the nursing staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] asking them if I could use a trigger shot this cycle. I mentioned in my email how frustrated I was that this is taking a long time (11 months total, only 2 IUI's so far with the fertility center) and she didn't dismiss that, she empathized with me how the journey is long and hard. It was nice she 'heard me' and she communicated with me about it. All staff is nice and they smile when you arrive. They're happy to see you.
I had no idea what to expect at my first appt for a consult. My husband's urologist said nothing was wrong with his sperm so I wasn't sure why we weren't getting pregnant. I also had a very short leutal phase and my own OB said it was only because my TSH levels were off. Dr. Shavell listened to our stories and looked closely at everything we had presented her with. She fixed my leutal phase with progesterone and had given us the blunt info that we needed to see that my husband's sperm was fine but definitely needs some help. She performed my first IUI and she was calm and explained everything. She is great
Make sure you listen, she's soft spoken and calm so you could miss something :)
She talked me through my first IUI procedure as she did everything. She has the most calming voice I've ever heard. She is so nice and I am so glad I am seeing her.
I take Femara to help with producing more mature follicles I take progesterone 3 days after IUI to lengthen my leutal phase I was just prescribed a trigger shot this cycle in which I'll use in the next few days to make sure I ovulate all mature follicles She has me doing IUI once I get a positive OPK (when I wasn't using a trigger shot) So far IUI's #1 and #2 did not work. I am hopeful for #3, it's all a waiting game.
I emailed the nursing staff asking them if I could use a trigger shot this cycle. I mentioned in my email how frustrated I was that this is taking a long time (11 months total, only 2 IUI's so far with the fertility center) and she didn't dismiss that, she empathized with me how the journey is long and hard. It was nice she 'heard me' and she communicated with me about it. All staff is nice and they smile when you arrive. They're happy to see you.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
So far I have had a pleasant experience with the clinic overall. The only weakness I recall is my first ultrasound looking for poll-ups and follicular size. The ultrasound tech was a little rough with the wand that was inside me and took my by surprise and kind of hurt me with the amount of pressure she put on me. Otherwise everything is great and I would definitely recommend the clinic to anyone who is going through infertility struggles
I guessed that our costs would be a lot higher than they ended up being. I wish they mapped out procedure costs a little better. I have pretty good insurance so that definitely helps with my journey
Grand Rapids
Dr. Shavell is very honest and gives me the facts - which I love. She is willing to try different things to get us where we need to be to have children. She is very intelligent and understands the fertility field. My only complaint is with the amount of testing she wanted done, we had to pay everything completely out of pocket, which got frustrating. But I was honest with her and told her we needed to save money, so she adjusted her plan.
[Fertility Center of MI's] Strengths - the clinic has been around since the 90s and is very successful in what they do. They are willing to try new things to get patients where they'd like to be. Weakness - it's very pricey and the tests cost a lot of money out of pocket. They don't take many insurance plans.... Everyone is very nice at the Fertility Center. They know the patients by name and understand it's a hard reason patients are there, so they are very sensitive and kind.
Be honest about your financial needs up front.
She is very open to my suggestions and listens to everything I've gone through.
So far we have done clomid cycles at 50mg per month days 5-9 with no luck.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
$100 deposit for initial appointment which costs over $300. After that, we paid different amounts each appointment.
No strong opinion, it is up to us.
Treated 2018 - 2019
After one of her lab tests, it became clear that my wife has Hashimoto's thyroiditis, but no one informed her of that until the information came up almost accidentally in a conversation with Dr. Shavell. ... She's very warm and seems to treat her patients well as people. However, she really needs to be more assertive and guide the conversation as the physician. My wife and I felt like she wasn't forthcoming with information and basically waited for us to lead the conversation rather than sharing info upfront and using that to guide the conversation and treatment plan.
No complaints so far about the clinic [The Fert Ctr of MI] as a whole - they've been great to work with. We've felt very supported through this whole process by the office overall, including the front office staff and the nurses. ... After one of her lab tests, it became clear that my wife has Hashimoto's thyroiditis, but no one informed her of that until the information came up almost accidentally in a conversation with Dr. Shavell.
She's very warm and seems to treat her patients well as people. However, she really needs to be more assertive and guide the conversation as the physician. My wife and I felt like she wasn't forthcoming with information and basically waited for us to lead the conversation rather than sharing info upfront and using that to guide the conversation and treatment plan. She's too soft-spoken and needs to be able to tell it like it is, good or bad.
Do your research so that you know what questions to ask to get the information you need. If you rely on her to lead the conversation, you will likely not walk away with a good understanding of what's happening.
She has a very warm personality, makes good eye contact, and seems to care about her patients.
We're still early in the process, but at this point it's been mostly treating both my wife and myself with prescriptions for various things that seem to be contributing to our infertility (irregular cycles and hypothyroidism for her, prostatitis and low sperm count for me).
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
No complaints so far about the clinic as a whole - they've been great to work with. We've felt very supported through this whole process by the office overall, including the front office staff and the nurses.

Treated 2018 - 2019
We tried several times with clomid and ovidrel to ensure I was producing healthy eggs and to be able to control the timing of ovulation...Dr. Shavell recommended FSH therapy using Gonal F, Progesterone, and Ovidrel to increase the amount of follicles produced...has always been friendly, courteous, and genuinely seems to want us to become pregnant...There are times when she seems almost too professional, but she is always straightforward and has a good bedside manner. Even with setbacks, she has been realistic, but reassuring.
The clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] has a warm and inviting atmosphere. It is clean and also cozy. The waiting room is comfortable and the treatment rooms are all modern with newer equipment. The staff are all friendly and always greet me by name...The nursing staff were all knowledgeable and friendly. I did find, though, that since I did not see the same nurses each visit, that we had to be our own advocates sometimes and ask questions.
Dr. Shavell is very knowledgeable and kind. There are times when she seems almost too professional, but she is always straightforward and has a good bedside manner. Even with setbacks, she has been realistic, but reassuring.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and be your own advocate.
Dr. Shavell has always been friendly, courteous, and genuinely seems to want us to become pregnant.
We tried several times with clomid and ovidrel to ensure I was producing healthy eggs and to be able to control the timing of ovulation. When that still did. It result in a pregnancy, Dr. Shavell recommended FSH therapy using Gonal F, Progesterone, and Ovidrel to increase the amount of follicles produced.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic has a warm and inviting atmosphere. It is clean and also cozy. The waiting room is comfortable and the treatment rooms are all modern with newer equipment. The staff are all friendly and always greet me by name.
Our insurance covered most of our treatment and medications. IVF and prep and storage for sperm were not covered.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
There was only one time someone failed to call in a prescription, but it was easily solved by the pharmacist calling an after hour phone number and the prescription was able to be filled after that.
Grand Rapids
She [Dr. Valerie Shavell] has been nice, kind and answered questions. She explained things nicely but blunt. I felt she could of been a little more compassionate and give more information at our second appointment...So far we have done one round of Clomid monitored, one round not, hoping to do another. I believe it was a basic fertility treatment and she told us IVF was not an option due to my age...I feel a little like based on my age she used a standard protocol with little to basic testing...I hope in the future they expand more options and ideas for women in their 40’s. For a new patient the first appointment is overwhelming! You will walk out on overload.
The nursing staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] has been amazing, compassionate, always kind when I feel I have a stupid question, give explanation and make sure I am okay with what’s going on...The overall staff is very pleasant, the clinic is clean and comfortable. I hope in the future they expand more options and ideas for women in their 40’s. For a new patient the first appointment is overwhelming! You will walk out on overload. Have questions with you written down, do reading before so you have an idea of some of the suggestions...So far we have done one round of Clomid monitored, one round not, hoping to do another. I believe it was a basic fertility treatment and she told us IVF was not an option due to my age. Nursing Staff
She has been nice, kind and answered questions. She explained things nicely but blunt. I felt she could of been a little more compassionate and give more information at our second appointment. I have not had any other experience with other doctors to compare her to.
I would say have lots of questions, do research on what you are wondering about, and know that she’s very kind but somewhat blunt.
She has been very kind but I feel a little like based on my age she used a standard protocol with little to basic testing.
The nursing staff has been amazing, compassionate, always kind when I feel I have a stupid question, give explanation and make sure I am okay with what’s going on
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Our insurance does not cover much for fertility clinic
Treated 2018 - 2019
She [Dr. Valerie Shavell] is very compassionate, answers all questions, and made sure we were comfortable with the plan. She ordered tests to try to find a cause for my recurrent miscarriage, but we didn’t find anything. I do wish she would’ve done further testing.... Femara followed by an ultrasound to monitor follicles and Ovidrel to stimulate ovulation. She added Estradiol due to thin lining and Crinone after ovulation. I did get pregnant that cycle but unfortunately miscarried.
They [the nursing staff at The Fertility Center] were very helpful and called promptly with results.... I did not find Dr. Dodds to be at all compassionate or professional. We had a very poor experience with him following our fourth loss. It also seems there is a lack of communication among nursing staff regarding change of plans.... We used oral medications with timed intercourse and insurance covered most of the cost but do not cover IVF.
She is very compassionate, answers all questions, and made sure we were comfortable with the plan. She ordered tests to try to find a cause for my recurrent miscarriage, but we didn’t find anything. I do wish she would’ve done further testing.
Don’t be scared to ask questions. She is very compassionate and willing to answer.
She took the time to empathize with my situation and ask how I would like to proceed.
They were very helpful and called promptly with results.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I do not have experience.
Grand Rapids

From the second I met with Dr. Shavell she made me feel like everything was going to be okay! ... I knew from the beginning that that Dr. Shavell was a perfect fit for us. We had just experienced our first early miscarriage when we had our appointment. She was so comforting and kind. Dr. Shavell wasted to time on start treatment, and getting a plan in place which we loved!
The Fertility center is a great welcoming place! I knew from the moment I walk in I was in the right place. All the staff are friendly and kind. My only disappoint is that they don't do appointment reminder calls (or I havent received any). You will not be disappointed in choosing TFC as your fertility specialist. ... All of the nursing staff has been wonderful
Relax your in great hands!
I was scheduled for an Sonohysterogram (which was normal), and started letrozole 5mg cycle day 3-7. I go in on CD11 for a midcycle ultrasound. Test with OPK twice a day starting CD10. Have intercourse every other day start CD8 until I have a positive opk then have intercourse that day, the next skip one day then once again. Wait two weeks test then repeat if needed. We are currently on our 2nd letrozole cycle.
All of the nursing staff has been wonderful
Treated 2018 - 2019
[Dr. Valerie Shavell is] Very soft spoken and at times hard to hear. Provided general information, but not a ton of details. When I asked questions I would get thorough answers then. She Seemed caring but rushed. I did not see the provider often... Poor HIPAA practice [at Fertility Centers of MI- Grand Rapids] and reaching billing is difficult. The nurses will talk in the halls and there is a lot of shuffeling of patients in consult rooms. I waited over in consiltant rooms. They returned all calls the same day if made before 3pm
My coordinator [at The Fertility Center of MI- Grand Rapids] was great, however I only spoke with her a few times. When I would call with questions I often spoke with different people. Some of who were not always friendly. I think they would really improve with there HIPAA practices.... Poor HIPAA practice and reaching billing is difficult. The nurses will talk in the halls and there is a lot of shuffeling of patients in consult rooms. I waited over in consiltant rooms. They returned all calls the same day if made before 3pm
Ask a lot of questions
Everything was very rushed, no details.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy )
My coordinator was great, however I only spoke with her a few times. When I would call with questions I often spoke with different people. Some of who were not always friendly. I think they would really improve with there HIPAA practices.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Poor HIPAA practice and reaching billing is difficult. The nurses will talk in the halls and there is a lot of shuffeling of patients in consult rooms. I waited over in consiltant rooms. They returned all calls the same day if made before 3pm.
IVF was around 15,000

Treated 2018 - 2019
The procedure used for IUI was the same each of the four times I did it [with Dr. Valerie Shavell]. I am now starting my second round of IVF and she is changing the procedure to a flair protocol...During some appointments I felt as though she was looking at my chart for the first time...is a very nice person but sometimes her tone can be taken the wrong way at first. She is very light spoken and sometimes I perceived her tone as patronizing. After getting to know her more I became use to it.
The nursing staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] is pleasant...IUI's were around $500 for the procedure. IVF was around $8500...Clean and inviting but sometimes the wait times are long when arriving for an appointment. I also wish there was a payment plan option when doing IVF. Appointments are usually easy to schedule and are flexible...The procedure used for IUI was the same each of the four times I did it. I am now starting my second round of IVF and she is changing the procedure to a flair protocol.
Valerie is a very nice person but sometimes her tone can be taken the wrong way at first. She is very light spoken and sometimes I perceived her tone as patronizing. After getting to know her more I became use to it.
Ask questions.
The nursing staff is pleasant.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
IUI's were around $500 for the procedure. IVF was around $8500.
Treated 2018 - 2019
It didn't feel like Dr. Shavell led the conversation. I brought a lot of questions and she offered thoughts, but didn't go into detail. She'd say just one sentence and then wait. There were times where information she shared surprised me (I wasn't aware of a diagnosis) but she seemed hesitant to go into more conversation. Come prepared with questions and prepared to drive the conversation forward.
It's a nice building and set up. There are pictures of babies all over the hallways, so be prepared for that. I also noticed children in the waiting room a few times, so also be aware of that potential. ... I've received good response time when calling the nursing staff [The Fertility Ctr of MI], which has been great. ... But it felt like we were shuttled from one room to another and just left to wait a lot of the time.
Come prepared with questions and be prepared to lead the conversation forward!
She did take time to talk with us and make small talk. But it felt like we were shuttled from one room to another and just left to wait a lot of the time.
I've received good response time when calling the nursing staff, which has been great.
Treated 2017 - 2019
I felt that she was very compassionate, but at times could’ve been a bit more direct about the treatment and my diagnosis. I never really knew I had PCOS in the beginning or really what it meant for my journey. ... Dr. Shavell has always taken the time to talk to my husband throughout our journey. Because of her and the tenure staff at The Fertility Center we were blessed with our son.
The clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is staffed with very knowledgeable doctors and nurses. Every one there really roots for your success and jumps in to support you on your journey. At times it was hard to schedule time sensitive apts bc of my very demanding work schedule and that added a great deal of stress on my plate. The receptionist didn’t seem very understanding.
Ask questions and evaluate all of your options
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is staffed with very knowledgeable doctors and nurses. Every one there really roots for your success and jumps in to support you on your journey. At times it was hard to schedule time sensitive apts bc of my very demanding work schedule and that added a great deal of stress on my plate. The receptionist didn’t seem very understanding.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Efficient, well oiled machine
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Shavell put me at ease with her level of expertise and showcasing our options. Her mannerisms are calm, nurturing and supportive - exactly what is needed during such a difficult time. I really appreciate her level of care provided... After being with my OB for fertility treatment, it is refreshing to be with an RE that is confident in her procedures and uses my personal data, blood work, and ultrasound information to make informed decisions about my procedures and next steps. I truly recommend Dr. Shavell to any person looking for their next options in starting a family in the midwest region. My only regret is not visiting this office sooner!
The Fertility Center has been simply amazing as my husband and I go through our fertility journey... On top of having a team that is knowledgable and professional, the facility itself is extremely clean, relaxing (coffee, water, magazines, tv and fish tank in waiting room)...also offers a support group that means once a month that is free to members, as well as discounted infertility yoga that is exclusively for those trying to conceive...
Dr. Shavell has been a supportive, knowledgeable, and honest physician. After being with my OB for fertility treatment, it is refreshing to be with an RE that is confident in her procedures and uses my personal data, blood work, and ultrasound information to make informed decisions about my procedures and next steps. I truly recommend Dr. Shavell to any person looking for their next options in starting a family in the midwest region. My only regret is not visiting this office sooner!
After working with an OB for 5 medicated cycles, Dr. Shavell makes sure you have a fertility panel done (bloodwork, ultrasound, possible HSG test) before starting treatment. This was extremely helpful knowing what my numbers were to these tests and helped me understand my body a bit more. The more information, the better; which is what you will get with Dr. Shavell!
When I first began seeing Dr. Shavell, she ordered a fertility panel of bloodwork and an HSG test to see if my tubes were open. Most bloodwork was normal except AMH (very high) and my TSH. My husband also had a semen analysis done which came back normal. I was put on metformin and levothyroxine. After, we began with 5 mg femara. I had no response. She upped me to 7.5 femara. Again, I had no response. I was then put on 10 mg of femara. I responded well and grew 1 mature follicle per cycle. I did this 3 times and did the HCG trigger shot when my follicles were considered mature. After three negative pregnancy tests, we decided to move to a more aggressive approach as 3-4 cycles per medication is the norm. We are currently doing 10mg of Femara, 37.5 iu Gonal F, and the HCG trigger shot. I also use progesterone suppositories 3 days after trigger shot. We have also included an IUI with this more aggressive approach. We have 2 more cycles with this approach before our last option is IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Kristy)
The nurses are the fertility center are simply amazing. They are caring and extremely knowledgeable. This helps put my anxious self at ease! I call the office very frequently with questions throughout each cycle and the nurses are always ready to answer my questions. They are truly so supportive which has been extremely helpful throughout this process.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The Fertility Center has been simply amazing as my husband and I go through our fertility journey. This is a difficult journey where you are not sure where it will end, but we have discovered that having a team of physicians and nurses that are knowledgeable, honest and caring has truly helped to put use at ease. On top of having a team that is knowledgable and professional, the facility itself is extremely clean, relaxing (coffee, water, magazines, tv and fish tank in waiting room). The Fertility Center also offers a support group that means once a month that is free to members, as well as discounted infertility yoga that is exclusively for those trying to conceive. The support group and yoga are two excellent features to provide to clients and another reason this center is so extraordinary. They make you feel like they truly care about you and want to support you.
Each visit there is a cost associated with it. Some are covered by insurance where I have a discounted portion to pay (ultrasounds and doctor's visits) while others are not covered at all (IUI, medications): Ultrasounds ($23) IUI ($600) Meeting with a nurse ($23) meeting with a doctor ($180) HCG trigger shot ($90) Femara ($5) Gonal F ($420) Progesterone ($50) HSG ($1200) Various bloodwork combined ($800+) Levothyroxine ($4)
I have not received information on this yet.
Grand Rapids
The next cycle she [Dr. Shavell] bumped my clomid dose up to 150 because it still wasn't helping the follicles to develop any sooner or bigger than it had at the 100. That definitely worked. At the next middle ultrasound, I had three good sized follicles instead of only one small one...She took the time to both ask and answer questions about my husband and I. We both felt valued and hopeful after having our consultation visit. She knew exactly which steps we should take next and we both felt confident in her knowledge, abilities and understanding of where we were currently at in our infertility journey.
The fertility center has been super helpful in letting me get lab work done at a place covered by my insurance, so that im not incurring unnecessary costs. They also recommended a cheaper pharmacy that I could get the Ovidrel shot from.(It wasn't covered by my insurance.) I went from paying $170 for the shot to $90...the IUIs that I've done were each $600 out of pocket...This Clinic knows their stuff! They are also just incredibly personable, friendly, compassionate, upbeat people. I definitely felt well guided and cared for during any treatment that I've received there. They help cultivate hope for your situation. I feel very relaxed at this clinic.
When we met with her the first time, we were impressed by her professional manner and knowledge of the process. She was very good at answering the questions that we both had, as well as making questions of us. She made us feel hopeful about our ability to be able to eventually conceive and made us feel like we had many options and possibilities yet to pursue. She has a very calming demeanor, which for me was maybe a little too clam. Where I definitely appreciate that you need to exude peace in what can be a stressful situation in people's lives, I personally love when doctors can make you feel like they understand the particular situation that you're in and still express an upbeat fun attitude. That being said, she was very nice and gentle with the way she talked and discussed different treatment options with us.
Be prepared to feel like you have a wealth of possibilities that you gain from her knowledge. You'll definitely feel like your being cared for and helped, but don't expect an excess of laughter or jokes. She seems to be very calm, steady and even keeled.
After our consultation visit, she decided to do some more lab work that we hadn't previously had yet...testing the ovarian reserve, my thyroid levels and a couple other things that I can't remember. She also decide to increase the dose of Clomid that I had previously been taking from my OB/GYN. (Which is where we started out in this process.) We went from 50 to 100. She also had me schedule a mid cycle ultrasound to measure the developing follicles and thickness of the uterine lining. By upping the dose, she was hoping to stimulate a better response from my follicles than what I had been getting on just the 50. I was also told about the trigger shot ovidrel, and used that to push ovulation. The first Cycle like that we did with just timed intercourse. The next cycle she bumped my clomid dose up to 150 because it still wasn't helping the follicles to develop any sooner or bigger than it had at the 100. That definitely worked. At the next middle ultrasound, I had three good sized follicles instead of only one small one. We moved on to an IUI that cycle...still with the Ovidrel. A nurse in the office actually performed the IUI, not the doctor herself. That both of those cycles ended with a negative pregnancy test. We are currently coming to the end of our third cycle with this Doctor and office. This cycle we did all the same things, 150 cComid, Ovidrel, IUI. (Just one follicle this time, but still on the bigger side.) The only thing that changed this time is that during the mid cycle ultrasound it was noticed that my lining was on the thinner side, so I was prescribe esterase tablets to take vaginally to help thicken the lining. I started taking them cycle day 12 and am still taking them now on cycle day 19. I was advised to take them until I take a pregnancy test..which will be soon. That being said, we don't know the results yet of this current treatment cycle.
The nursing staff at the fertility center are incredible. They are overflowing with compassion. I was almost shocked by the amount of care and concern they showed the first time I had to call in because I had started my period after our first treatment cycle. I felt very cared for and even comforted. For the most part, all of the nurses are warm, compassionate and fun. They are also very knowledgeable and confident in helping you or answering any questions that arise. The nurse I had for my first IUI was so great and talking me through the process and calming any nerves that I had. Great nursing staff!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
My insurance only covered half the cost of ultrasounds and lab work only if it was done somewhere else and then sent to the Fertility center. The fertility center has been super helpful in letting me get lab work done at a place covered by my insurance, so that im not incurring unnecessary costs. They also recommended a cheaper pharmacy that I could get the Ovidrel shot from.(It wasn't covered by my insurance.) I went from paying $170 for the shot to $90. The ultrasounds cost me about $100 after the insurance and the IUIs that I've done were each $600 out of pocket.
Treated 2016 - 2019
We liked her [Dr. Shavell] right away. At our first visit she seemed very intelligent and committed to do everything in her power to help us have a baby. She explains things in great detail which we found very helpful. Her compassion and bedside manner has only improved over the years that we have been under her care. ... She is always very personable with both my husband and I.
They [The Fertility Center of Michigan] are not cookie cutter, they individualize their patients care and do not batch transfers. The office staff is a little less desirable. Mainly some of the front desk staff and some in the billing department. It feels like they often forget what their patients are going through and the financial strains being seen at this office can cause. ... They were very accommodating to my schedule. Sometimes I had to wait a little bit but it usually went very well.
We liked her right away. At our first visit she seemed very intelligent and committed to do everything in her power to help us have a baby. She explains things in great detail which we found very helpful. Her compassion and bedside manner has only improved over the years that we have been under her care.
Take notes at your appointments.
She is always very personable with both my husband and I.
The first round of IVF we used the antagonist protocol and obtained 4 eggs, 3 embryos were created with ICSI. The second retrieval she changed the protocol to the long protocol and 9 eggs were obtained and 7 embryos created with ICSI. I was on 450mg of Gonal F per day for 14 days.
The nursing staff was always there to answer any questions. There are one or two that seem less compassionate then the others but overall great to work with.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are cutting edge and offer most of the latest technologies. They are not cookie cutter, they individualize their patients care and do not batch transfers. The office staff is a little less desirable. Mainly some of the front desk staff and some in the billing department. It feels like they often forget what their patients are going through and the financial strains being seen at this office can cause.
Blood draws are $115. (Progesterone/estradiol) Ultrasounds about $300-350 FET about $4,000 without additional add ons. Egg retrieval/fresh transfer about $9,000 without ad ons.
She did not have a preference and did educate us on the risks of multiples with transferring two.