Medical SchoolUCSD
ResidencyMayo Clinic
FellowshipU. of Washington
499 Illinois Street
San Francisco, CA 94158
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Victor Fujimoto to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend UCSF to a friend?
IVF, Donor Eggs
We got pregnant on the first try. But I would not attribute this to Fujimoto, rather the other people and the clinic. He was a little checked-out. But friendly. I think we saw him twice, but had probably 7 or 8 different visits. I found the residents to be FAR better than him...Fujimoto often forgot basic facts of my profile, e.g. during an exam (i.e. when I was on the table, legs wide open!) he asked me if I had been pregnant before, something we had reviewed twice before. Fujimoto also explained "next steps" to us that we had already completed. Fujimoto also asked us to fill out paperwork already filled out twice.
IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Sure, use him, but don't expect much from him. You will get the value and interaction with residents and nurses.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Describe the protocols Victor Fujimoto used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
I had MASSIVE allergic reactions to the progesterone in oil. I reported this repeatedly and no one took me seriously. They thought I was complaining about giving myself shots. In retrospect, I should have complained even more. The pre-transfer week and weeks immediately thereafter were awful. Worse than giving birth.
I had MASSIVE allergic reactions to the progesterone in oil. I reported this repeatedly to the nurses and no one took me seriously. They thought I was complaining about giving myself shots. In retrospect, I should have complained even more. The pre-transfer week and weeks immediately thereafter were awful. Worse than giving birth.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The results were great. Pregnant on the first try with the first transfer. You can't argue with that. (Also, note, not using own eggs, so statistically we were highly likely.)
Describe Victor Fujimoto's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
Strongly advocated for single transfer, which is what we wanted anyway.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Fujimoto was kind and caring and always spent as much time with us as we needed. He was straightforward, but at the same time helped us weigh the pros and cons of certain decisions (in helping us make those decisions)....We had a great experience with Dr. Fujimoto. I think he really understood our set of circumstances and put protocols together that led to success. As previously mentioned, he is a great blend of caring and candid.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
I went through one Antagonist IVF cycle with Follistim, Menopur, and Ganirilex. My body responded pretty aggressively and resulted in 24 eggs and ultimately 9 five-day blasts. We transferred 2 fresh blasts, and neither took. Dr. Fujimoto encouraged us to not get too upset, as he suspected it was possible my body rejected the embryos because it was still too overwhelmed from the aggressive response to the stimulation meds. For the frozen embryo round, he added Letrozole to the protocol (studies show it helps for women with endometriosis). We transferred two embryos and one was successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Anna)
Anna was my in cycle nurse and she was excellent. Very responsive, very clear in her communication, compassionate, etc.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I had a great experience with this clinic. They always ran on time, facilities are brand new, and all of the doctors/nurses I saw were excellent. My only complaint about the clinic is between the pre-cycle coordinator, patient navigator, and billing dept, things can get very disjointed. I am lucky in that my insurance covered my procedures, but UCSF did very little upfront to help coordinate with my insurance (I had to stay on top of it every day to make sure things didn't fall through the cracks like required tests, prior authorizations, etc.). And there were multiple times I would have not gotten my medications on time if I hadn't been so on top of it.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Victor Fujimoto at UCSF.
I was lucky in that insurance covered so I was out-of-pocket relatively little.
2013 - 2015
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr. Fujimoto is very knowledgeable and very experienced. He will tell you the truth and not sugarcoat it. If you present him with an option he is often willing to try it, but he tends to favor a very traditional and conservative approach...IUI w/ clomid; IUI w/ follistim; IUI w/ Menopur; IVF w/ Menopur; mini IVF w/ clomid...
2013 - 2015
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Be proactive, and research your options.
Dr. Fujimoto was very professional, and he seemed interested in me as an individual, but I felt that the treatment options that he tried were part of a standard set of treatments that were not particularly sensitive to what might have resulted in success.
There was one nurse practitioner who was quite competent and compassionate, the rest were pretty dismissive, and although they saw me many times over three years never bothered to learn my name or take an interest in me. One whose name I blocked out told me that I was wasting my time, and that I was never going to get pregnant with my own eggs. I told the doctor that she should never speak to me again.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is a big place, and they have a big program. It's easy to feel lost in the machine like environment that they create. If you have standard needs they will work for you. If you require more individualized care they are not the place for you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Victor Fujimoto at UCSF.
I was covered through insurance so do not know the cost of care.
2005 - 2010
They discovered Dr Fujimoto had completely undiagnosed a uterine septum that was causing the losses I had the few times I was able to get pregnant through the treatments. He had diagnosed me with crappy eggs and never bothered to check the uterus!
2005 - 2010
Investor
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
After nearly 2 years of grueling treatment with him, without success, he told me due to advanced ovarian aging (I was 29!) I wasn't ever going to be able to carry a pregnancy with my own eggs and should consider adoption or egg donor. Luckily I went and got a second opinion (at CCRM) and thankfully they insisted to retest everything as they discovered Dr Fujimoto had completely undiagnosed a uterine septum that was causing the losses I had the few times I was able to get pregnant through the treatments. He had diagnosed me with crappy eggs and never bothered to check the uterus! CCRM fixed the septum and despite my crappy eggs, I was able to get pregnant and keep the pregnancies, and now I have 2 kids.
If you want great bedside manner, he is lovely. If you want/need anal, thorough, painfully detail oriented, I wouldn't recommend him.
His bedside manner was good-- very comforting and kind. That was not my problem with him.
I did 3 injectable IUIs, 2 IVFs. 1 IVF resulted in a chemical pregnancy. Turns out I found out through another clinic after I left UCSF I had a uterine septum that meant all those treatments (time/money/pain) were for nothing and never would have worked until the septum was fixed (which the other clinic did in a simple outpatient surgery).
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Fine if you don't have any complications or a super hard case. challenge is you don't know if you are one until you try, so I don't recommend this clinic.
2012 - 2015
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
2012 - 2015
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
I selected Dr Fujimoto because he dealt with infertility issues of his own. He was very matter of fact about what our options were and the results we would likely see. While in his care, and suffering many loses and obstacles, he remained a great partner in this journey. I have recommend him to others as well.
UCSF sees a LOT of patients and his team can be forgetful at times. I advice you to stay on top of him and his team. While they do great work, they do have a lot of patients, so they might forget some small details you discussed last time.
Dr Fujimoto and the team were great. They really did wish us the best. Some of the team was awesome, always remembered us and honestly cared about our outcome. As mentioned before, you still need to stay on top of your protocol as some of the assistance have a lot of doctors they are supporting, so they might forget a few things. But for the most part, the staff was awesome.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: I had 3 , Olga, Jennifer and Anna)
Stephanie who I always saw and think it was one of his main nurses was amazing. She went through all the ups and downs with us. So wonderful.
3 IUI, IVF
Overall a great experience [with Dr. Victor Fujimoto]. The care teams were top notch. It would have been nice to see Dr. Fujimoto for all my procedures, but he did most of the important ones (egg retrieval, transfer) and all the other doctors, nurses, and NPs that worked with me were great... availability was excellent for appointments...compassionate
3 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
Overall a great experience. The care teams were top notch. It would have been nice to see Dr. Fujimoto for all my procedures, but he did most of the important ones (egg retrieval, transfer) and all the other doctors, nurses, and NPs that worked with me were great. My only complaint of the practice is the billing team. I had to send them multiple emails and call them multiple times before receiving responses to my questions. This happened each time I needed to reach out, so I don't think it was an anomaly.
Great communication throughout
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strengths: high performing and knowledgeable team, availability was excellent for appointments, compassionate, clear they knew what they were doing and have a high % of previous successful patients Weakness: Billing department, seeing multiple people throughout
Describe the costs associated with your care under Victor Fujimoto at UCSF.
IUI cycles were about $700 per cycle. IVF about $16k + $4k genetic testing + $1k medication (discounted for out of pocket)
2011 - 2015
6 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Dr. F has a decent manner, but has confused me with one of my egg donors and even changed a medication due to the confusion... My biggest issue is that he knew I had Endo [endometriosis] but waited until the 4th year of treatment to introduce a $10 pill regime... It should have been part of a much earlier course of treatment.
2011 - 2015
6 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
I feel he did ok. He was almost too passive in his communication. My biggest issue is that he knew I had Endo but waited until the 4th year of treatment to introduce a $10 pill regime that has been proven to be a near magical pill. It was the only reason I got pregnant at all. It should have been part of a much earlier course of treatment.
Clarify at the beginning and end of an appointment or email. He has a lot of patients, don't expect them to remember you.
Dr. F has a decent manner, but has confused me with one of my egg donors and even changed a medication due to the confusion. He continued to confuse me with her for a better part of a year even when being corrected.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Anna)
Anna was very compassionate and a wonderful communicator. If she wasn't as wonderful, I don't think I would have made it for as long as I did.
None, Unexplained
The doctor took time to explain procedures and understand our desired outcomes... At one point, based on information they provided after my procedure, there was question / concern that they may have implanted the wrong (some other patient's) embryos...
None, Unexplained
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
While the overall desired outcome was achieved, UCSF left much to be desired from an administrative standpoint. We also had one notable mishap that created unnecessary duress related to the embryo implantation
Be willing to move to IVF faster as opposed to continuing with unsuccessful cycles of IUI
The doctor took time to explain procedures and understand our desired outcomes. He seemed to care that we felt comfortable and well informed.
Upbeat and professional
5 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing
He is gifted and compassionate and really really wants success. He has been through infertility himself so he knows!
5 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Victor Fujimoto at UCSF?
He is gifted and compassionate and really really wants success. Like I said he has been through it himself and was beyond thrilled for us and our success.
Again he has been through this. He is gifted and will help if he can.
He seemed to have a tough exterior but omg he seemed sad when we were and thrilled when we were. He had a ton of sympathy for our struggle. He has been through infertility himself so he knows!
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: ??? bernstein)
I called her crying a few times and she was supportive and wonderful