Nurse available by email
Medical SchoolU. of Missouri
ResidencyLA County / USC
FellowshipWash U. St. Louis
Birmingham
2006 Brookwood Med. Ctr. Dr.
Birmingham, AL 35209
Northport
650 Energy Ctr Blvd
Northport, AL 35473
800-476-9790
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Virginia Houserman to a friend?

5.4

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend ART Fertility Program of Alabama to a friend?
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
She [Dr. Houserman] is so smart and does a great job at explaining things in detail. She is friendly and makes you feel welcome...At first she seems cold and like she’s talking in a different language. But once you start talking to her she is super friendly and open to any questions or concerns and addresses them...I did iui’s with clomid and then she switched me to letrazole just to see if my body would react better. Same reaction. So then we did a pure shot cycle with iui. Used follistim and HCG shot. Ovaries reacted very well. But my emotions were horrible i was super angry all of the time. Then i quit working and decided to go to IVF. did follistim menopur progesterone hcg leuprolide. Did egg retrieval with good results froze the unused embryos and am currently waiting to see if i am pregnant from the fresh transfer.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Virginia Houserman at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
At first she seems cold and like she’s talking in a different language. But once you start talking to her she is super friendly and open to any questions or concerns and addresses them. She is just so smart it’s hard for her to tell us things in our way and not the medical way. But if you ask she will clear any confusion up! She’s a great dr.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Virginia Houserman at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
To trust her. At first we weren’t sure of her so we questioned her decisions a lot. But she knows what she’s doing.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Virginia Houserman at ART Fertility Program of Alabama?
She is so smart and does a great job at explaining things in detail. She is friendly and makes you feel welcome
Describe the protocols Virginia Houserman used in your cycles at ART Fertility Program of Alabama and their degree of success.
Love ALL of the nurses at both Montgomery and Birmingham. They all are so positive and make it as nice of an experience as possible. We never even have to wait very long either which is awesome.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
Be prepared to be overwhelmed and when you get home write down any questions you have. Bc you will forget them by the next visit. Trust the dr and the nurses but also understand that they do this all day everyday and that sometimes you have to ask why are you doing this what are you doing, what is my next appt for.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Virginia Houserman at ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
Prob around $25,000-30,000 in all
Describe Virginia Houserman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
We thought really hard about this. We chose to transfer 2 embryos instead of just one because of me having unexplained infertility. We still don’t know what the problem is so we wanted as much of a chance that was possible just in case implantation has been the problem. We asked dr Houserman and she was immediately onboard with it. I thought she was going to push to do just one bc of the risks but given my age and all of my bloodwork and everything always looking amazing and promising she decided it would be worth it for us.
Montgomery
I first saw Dr.Houserman in July of 2017 with an unknown reason as to why I wasn’t getting pregnant. Everything appeared to be normal except I had some cysts on my ovaries but was told it could be from just coming off of birth control. I wasn’t showing any other signs of PCOS at the time and all of my labs appeared normal, so we moved forward with treatment. Dr.Houserman made me feel like my case mattered and she was confident she could get me pregnant. She answered every single one of my questions, even the ones that I thought were kind of silly. I felt good leaving our first appointment. We did two unsuccessful rounds of letrozole and I became very stressed and decided to take a break from it all. Fast forward to January 2018 I scheduled an appointment with my obgyn for a yearly checkup and some concerns I was having. It was then I was diagnosed with PCOS and she offered to do less intensive rounds of fertility treatments meaning no follicle checks and frequent labs,which sounded appealing at the time. I wasn’t ready to tell my coworkers what was going on, and this was a way for me to not miss as much work for appointments. I did another three unsuccessful rounds of clomid and decided to go back to Dr.Houserman back in May. I felt as though I should have never left. When I went back for another consultation they did an ultrasound and saw that I was about to ovulate. I had two pretty follicles that were ready to go! So our intentions were to try this round naturally since I was already in the middle of a good cycle. Our plan afterwards was to do a round of letrozole and an IUI if this didn’t work. To our surprise, it did work! We were pregnant! Unfortunately, we had a very devastating miscarriage. I was so very upset, but Dr.Houserman was very supportive and understanding. She deeply sympathized for my husband and I. After the miscarriage we had to do a natural round because of a cyst that I had on one of my ovaries. This is our first month since starting back again that we were able to do a round of letrozole. If it doesnt work, we will be moving forward with an IUI. Dr. Houserman has walked us through all the steps and supports us one hundred percent. We love her, she is a very wonderful doctor!
One piece of advice I would give to a prospective patient is to be patient. Infertility forces is us to do so, but Dr. Houserman will always be there for the long hall. That is a guaranteed fact. As long as you stick with it, I believe she can get just about anyone pregnant!
She deeply cares about her patients, and goes ablove and beyond for them. Not just her, but her whole staff. They make you feel like you matter and that you aren’t defined by your infertility.
Beginning of a cycle always starts with blood work and an ultrasound to look for antral follicles. I then begin letrozole on cycle day 5-9. I then come back on day 13/14 to see if I have any mature follicles. If I do have a mature follicle I then receive an HCG shot or (trigger shot) which helps to release the egg from the follicle. Then I would have sex for the next three days and then after the three days I would start vaginal progesterone. This is a pretty basic month for me while working with Dr. Houserman. I got pregnant completely natural before, only using the vaginal progesterone because mine was a little low for a natural cycle the month I did get pregnant. They check my progesterone on cycle day 21 to make sure it’s at a good number. So now moving forward they just automatically put me on that after ovulation. She is very knowledgeable, and I trust her plan of care completely!
Describe your experience with your nurse at ART Fertility Program of Alabama. (Assigned nurse: Tracey )
My nurse who is actually a nurse practitioner and I go way back. She used to work at my obgyn clinic and I saw her whenever I had an issue or a checkup back in high school and early college. She is the most beautiful person, with the most genuine soul I have ever met. I can tell she loves her job, and I know she has love for me. Which is practically priceless! She would do anything for me. If I have a question or a concern, she’s calling me as soon as she can. She was the first one to check on me after I had my miscarriage. She deeply sympathizes for every patient, not just myself. The entire staff is also incredible. They are loving and nurturing. I can’t speak more highly of them.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
I can’t really think of a single weakness this clinic has. They are such a great team! You can tell they love what they do, and will do anything to make the patients feel more comfortable. They are always quick to get back with you with any questions, I’ve never had any problems making an appointment, and I have also had zero issues with billing. Everything seems to be on point. I can’t think of anything negative to say about this clinic.
Insurance would cover letrozole at less than 2 bucks. It did not cover vagina progesterone which was about 130 for a 60 day supply. It also did not cover my HCG shot which is 165. My insurance does pay about 80 percent towards my blood work and ultrasounds and I pay the remaining 20 percent. I do have a 35 dollar copay and a lab fee every visit. They don’t pay for an IUI, which is close to 400 just for the IUI itself. So if we are unsuccessful this month, that will be out of pocket along with other costs that insurance won’t pick up.
We have not yet ventured into any kind of embryo transfer discussions quite yet.
Montgomery

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Virginia Houserman at ART Fertility Program of Alabama.

1st time we met [with Dr. Virginia Houserman] it was just to discuss what was going to happen. 1st IUI was unmedicated just monitor and trigger shot. Negative. So we had to see the dr again she said I have PCOS without the cysts that I don't ovulate on my own so she recommends letrazol was it's less likely to make me crazy. So IUI #2 we monitor and add letrazol days 5-10 trigger shot in office I ovulate! Everything looks great this time they do an ultrasound to show I ovaulated and everything looked great but again negative. So they tell me we are going to do the same thing over so IUI #3 monitor letrazol days 5-10 trigger shot in office only this time no ultrasound. And once again a negative.
Native American, Other
She is always up front telling me you know you shouldn't be discouraged but then would say something optimistic behind it like I know your going to be a mother I just know it. Which was nice but also hard every time I got negative after.
Ask any questions you have don't be afraid
They were always kind and took time to know me although I'm sure it's because I was there so much. Everyone was extremely kind and never made me feel out place. They made a very awkward situation not awkward at all.
1st time we met it was just to discuss what was going to happen. 1st IUI was unmedicated just monitor and trigger shot. Negative. So we had to see the dr again she said I have PCOS without the cysts that I don't ovulate on my own so she recommends letrazol was it's less likely to make me crazy. So IUI #2 we monitor and add letrazol days 5-10 trigger shot in office I ovulate! Everything looks great this time they do an ultrasound to show I ovaulated and everything looked great but again negative. So they tell me we are going to do the same thing over so IUI #3 monitor letrazol days 5-10 trigger shot in office only this time no ultrasound. And once again a negative. So we go back to see the dr get told everything looks good on paper but because we use don't sperm we are ok to be more aggressive. So for IUI #4 we did letrazol days 3-7 then follistim shots till I my follicles were the right size then I triggered at home that night then went to the dr 36 hours later for Insemination . No ultrasound or anything this time and once again a negative!!! Now we are trying to raise money to try again.
Thy are very caring but not very informative
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
They are very kind and compassionate made an uncomfortable situation as comfortable as possible. Negatives would be you see so many different nurses you get lost. Sometimes they are so busy they forget things always question should i be getting this done as I was told I wouldn't have to pee in a cup one time then after I peed I had to pee in a cup! I feel like they could do more to make sure it's as successful as it can be I feel like I'm dishing out all this money and sometimes I got ultrasounds sometimes I didn't.
For the 4 IUI we paid approximately $8000

5 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
I felt that she [Dr. Houserman] was very open to answering our questions and addressing our concerns. She understood our frustrations and our emotions and gave us numerous options without making us feel overwhelmed. ... She also always did what was in our best interest, even if we felt like rushing things or taking things too slow. ... But if my ovaries were too large or I had cysts, she would make us wait a month.
5 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
My experience with her was great. She always told us all of our options and never encouraged us to give up. She also always did what was in our best interest, even if we felt like rushing things or taking things too slow. And she never discouraged us from getting second opinions or talking to other people. She was secure in her knowledge but also knew her limits.
To not necessarily expect a lot of warm and fuzzies. She is super nice and very smart and compassionate. But she is not a “touchy felt” type, which just happened to work for my husband and I.
I felt that she was very open to answering our questions and addressing our concerns. She understood our frustrations and our emotions and gave us numerous options without making us feel overwhelmed.
We went through 5 rounds of IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF over the past 3 and a half years. Dr. Houserman seemed to find a good balance between aggressive and safe. She knew that we did not want to half do things, so she allowed us to keep increasing medications and the protocols when she felt like it would help. But if my ovaries were too large or I had cysts, she would make us wait a month.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ART Fertility Program of Alabama. (Assigned nurse: Tracey Mendelson)
The nurses and nurse practitioner at the Montgomery office were great. They work very efficiently and always understood my time frame and respected that. They were always friendly and ready to help, even when it was early in the morning. Tracey Mendelson and the other nurses always answered all of my questions.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
I think their strengths is their team work and communication. They always worked together to keep the flow of the clinic going well. They never made us wait that long in the waiting room and always did things to use their time wisely.
Everything was very expensive because our insurance did not cover any testing or procedures. I don’t think they were necessarily better or worse than any other clinic or doctor. The medications and the procedures are what cost the most.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
Dr. Houserman does not beat around the bush, which I greatly appreciated. If you want someone to be direct with you, but also kind and empathetic then she will be a perfect choice. Sometimes I feel she got our hopes up a little too soon, but that also could have been our own interpretation of her information. She was always professional and gave us the good, bad, and the ugly so we could make an educated decision. I never felt that she forced us into a plan that we did not like and she always answered all of our questions.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
Ask questions. Sometimes I wouldn't have received as much information as I needed in order to make a decision or process, but I always felt comfortable asking questions and she always gladly answered them without hesitation.
The staff have always been eager to answer all of our questions around the clock. They took our concerns seriously.
In the beginning my infertility was unexplained and we had already had one miscarriage after getting pregnant using Clomid and under the care of my regular Gyno. They began with two cycles of Letrozole (5 mg per day), but they were unsuccessful. They then moved to letrozole and follistim injections. I took the same dose of Letrozole and then did three consecutive days of 75 IU of Follistim. The second cycle was successful and we became pregnant. Unfortunately, after 7 weeks we miscarried. They had to perform a D&C to test the tissue for what may have cause this. The pregnancy was perfectly normal. They did a full thrombosis work up and discovered that I have a blood clotting disorder. After I recovered from the miscarriage and surgery we continued with the same treatment, but were unsuccessful after two months of the letrozole/folllistim combo. We then moved to straight injections for 2 months and I took 75 IU every day for 6 days. We were unsuccessful in this method as well.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ART Fertility Program of Alabama. (Assigned nurse: Tracey Mendelson )
Tracey Mendelson (of the Montgomery office) and her entire staff became family. I cannot recommend them enough!!
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
The clinic is always clean and organized. The building is a little difficult to navigate but not too much of a problem.
My insurance covered most of my appointments and procedures. I never felt that there were unnecessary or extreme charges.
We have not had any discussions about either of these because we have not reached this point in our plan.
Birmingham

Dr. Houserman was kind and direct... She was very educated on *studies* and statistics which I found helpful. She laid out options and I told her what I wasn't comfortable with and we moved forward. Overall, I was so pleased and will continue to see her as my doctor...In our first meeting she made connections with my story. She repeated back parts of my medical history. She made sure that she had all the details correct. She did it tell me what to do, she asked what I thought.
Dr. Houserman was kind and direct. I normally do not like to see women doctors, but I was pleasantly pleased with our initial meeting. She was very educated on *studies* and statistics which I found helpful. She laid out options and I told her what I wasn't comfortable with and we moved forward. Overall, I was so pleased and will continue to see her as my doctor.
I would know where you draw the line in fertility treatments. How far down the fertility treatment path do you want to go? You need to know what you are and aren't comfortable with.
This is my first cycle with Dr. Houserman so I do not know if I am pregnant. This cycle i had to have an HSG test performed. I also used follistim {8 days of 75 UI}, ovidrel trigger shot, and IUI. Progesterone was also prescribed to take after my IUI. She actually wanted to go straight to IVF considering the amount of years we have been without conceiving but we took a step back. I am satisfied and happy with our protocol and steps we've taken this cycle.
I cannot say enough kind things about the nursing staff. Everyone I have come in contact with has been kind, helpful and loving.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
This clinic is efficient and well run. The staff is sincere and act like they really want to be there. The staff is willing to answer your questions and work with you. Their answering service is very efficient. They are truly there for you in the most chaotic time of some of our lives.
My blood work/ultrasound visits were about $30. My IUI was was $395. The meds were about $125 total.
Birmingham

I was concerned about my weight, and I wasn't having cycles on my own. She [Dr. Houserman] told me it was a non-issue, as my treatments were essentially controlling my hormones and their roles for me. I took a break for over two years. I lost 40 pounds, and came back to her for treatment again. When I visited her for a new consult, she said they weightloss was great, but another 40 pounds would be even better... I was confused because years earlier, it seemed to be a non-issue. Anybody who's ever gone through fertility treatments knows what a difficult task it is to lose weight while injecting all of these meds. I didn't lose any weight during the next 7 months of treatment, but I didn't gain any either. My follicles definitely responded better this time, as I was ready to trigger just 10 days in! I went through 7 months of treatments, each ending with a negative beta.
Dr. Houserman is very realistic, without being overly blunt. She will answer any questions you may have, but over my entire course of treatment, I've only seen her a few times. Almost all of my interactions have been through the Nurse Practitioner. If I do "meet" with Dr. Houserman, it's a teleconference. If I want to meet in person, I have to drive to Birmingham, which is over 2 hours away. When she comes to the Montgomery clinic, it's only for new patients. It makes me feel like a level of personal understanding of my needs and goals is not being met.
She is practical and realistic. She is not overly soft & sensitive, so if you're looking to be hugged and coddled, she is not the doctor for you. She is warm and kind but matter-of-fact when it comes to prognosis, treatment, etc.
I have PCOS. I initially went to Dr. Houserman years ago, but my follicles would never grow to maturity to do a trigger shot. I was concerned about my weight, and I wasn't having cycles on my own. She told me it was a non-issue, as my treatments were essentially controlling my hormones and their roles for me. I took a break for over two years. I lost 40 pounds, and came back to her for treatment again. When I visited her for a new consult, she said they weightloss was great, but another 40 pounds would be even better. I was confused because years earlier, it seemed to be a non-issue. Anybody who's ever gone through fertility treatments knows what a difficult task it is to lose weight while injecting all of these meds. I didn't lose any weight during the next 7 months of treatment, but I didn't gain any either. My follicles definitely responded better this time, as I was ready to trigger just 10 days in! I went through 7 months of treatments, each ending with a negative beta. I started out with clomid+menopur for a couple of cycles, then just menopur, then increased menopur, then follistim+menopur. The longer I continued with treatments, the slower my follicles began to grow. It's as if my body was just tired, and nothing was working. I met with her a couple of months ago, where she told me I had made a 'valiant effort', but it was time to move on to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ART Fertility Program of Alabama. (Assigned nurse: Tracy)
Tracy is a very good listener. She's honest, compassionate and optimistic, which is exactly what you need when you're going through this process. She, too, has gone through treatments, so she understands the whole process from the patient's side.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
The Montgomery clinic is a small satellite clinic for the main office in Birmingham. The doctor is only at the satellite office when visiting a new patient. All interactions with the doctor from the satellite clinic are via video conference. The Montgomery office is small, but I've never had to wait more than just a few minutes to get back to a patient room.
Insurance did not cover IUIs, so out of pocket they were around $400 per cycle. IVF starts around $11,000 per individual cycle.

PCOS, Other
She [Dr. Virgina Houserman] took the time to cover everything to expect with us. We only met with her twice because our first cycle with this clinic was successful. She does have a dry personality but at the same time was very caring when I needed it.... Took the time to sit down with us and answer any and all questions we had at our first appointment. Was very honest on what she thought needed to be done on our part for our treatment to be successful. Was willing to do what we were most comfortable with.
PCOS, Other
She took the time to cover everything to expect with us. We only met with her twice because our first cycle with this clinic was successful. She does have a dry personality but at the same time was very caring when I needed it.
Go in ready to ask questions and be honest on what you want for treatment.
Treatment was monitored medicated cycles with a trigger shot and possible IUI. She did a PCT to determine if IUI would be needed. IUI was recommended for us, but we elected not to on our first cycle. We took letorozle instead of clomid because I had serevel failed clomid cycles with my previous doctor. I had irregular cycles due to PCOS (she discovered my PCOS) so that was why we did monitored cycles. The plan was to get more aggressive with treatment each cycle but our first cycle with Dr. Houserman was successful.
The nursing staff was very kind and attentive. I went to the satellite office in Tuscaloosa often. Beth (the NP there) can be a hard read at times, but I feel like she gets much friendlier when she gets to know you. I did have new hires draw my blood a few times and you could tell they were new to the procedure, but still very very kind people. (Everyone has to learn at some point!)
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
Very kind staff. Very thorough in their testing, found issues that my last doctor did not. Great system in place for scheduling, messages, etc. Satellite offices were convenient for me being from Tuscaloosa.
Someone went over what our insurance would and would not cover at our first appointment. We knew exactly what the cost would be for us, and it was much more affordable than we expected. They have their out of pocket prices listed on their website as well.

IUI, IVF
Anovulation, Male Factor
She [Dr. Virginia Houserman] was always kind, caring and compassionate. I never felt rushed while in her office. I think her own experiences with Infertility give her a different perspective than other doctors...When I met Dr.Houserman, I had previously seen a different specialist. To be honest, I was a mess. She had reviewed all of my records before my first visit! She knew about our previous treatment and failures. We discussed my options. It was so refreshing to have someone actually explain the options available in so much detail. She told us IVF was our best option due to previously failed inseminations and my husband's sperm issues. I really didn't want to do IVF but once I understood why it was the best option, I agreed. I sure am glad that I did!!!! We have a beautiful baby boy and we are so grateful to this wonderful doctor and her staff!
IUI, IVF
Anovulation, Male Factor
Make an appointment and go see her!!
She was always kind, caring and compassionate. I never felt rushed while in her office. I think her own experiences with Infertility give her a different perspective than other doctors.
Our plan was to do IVF with ICSI. We did discuss that I might have to do a frozen transfer if my blood levels began to rise.
The nurses and nurse practitioners are all wonderful. They are very knowledgeable. They have a large staff and I did see several different nurses but they were all very helpful and knew what they were doing. They are so friendly and compassionate. I can't imagine going through this process without their support.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
The entire staff is wonderful. Everyone is so friendly and kind. I have read some of the reviews that mention that the office and staff are very large, but I can't imagine how they would accomplish all this with a smaller staff and office. I dealt with every department at some point and they were always very helpful.
The IVF procedure was about $11,000.00. The medications were going to be about$5000.00 but the billing person gave me a packet of information where I could apply for assistance with my medication. It saved us about$1500.00.
We trusted her judgement and experience when it came to deciding to just transfer one embryo.
Birmingham

She [Dr. Virginia Houserman] was very thorough and explained everything to us very well. We knew and understood everything that was going on. Everything was laid out to us. When we left the first day from our visit with her, we were excited and ready to get started. She made us feel comfortable talking about things you normally would not like to discuss with others. We put our total faith in her.
She was very thorough and explained everything to us very well. We knew and understood everything that was going on. Everything was laid out to us. When we left the first day from our visit with her, we were excited and ready to get started. She made us feel comfortable talking about things you normally would not like to discuss with others. We put our total faith in her. She is very well educated on infertility and discussed several things with us about the matter. She is compassionate about what she does and expresses that through the whole process. We were very pleased with her and at the clinic. I would highly recommend her to anyone that is going through infertility. We, however did not get the results we wanted, but hope to be able to go back in the near future and try again.
She is very thorough and educated on infertility. Ask her all of your questions and be sure you know everything you feel you need to know to get started.
Everyone was very friendly and welcoming at the clinic. They all made you feel at home.
The nurses at the clinic were all wonderful. I usually would see a different nurse each time and they were all great. They were all very compassionate about what they do. Also a very caring and understanding on the subject matter.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
Clinic is very organized and thorough. I usually did not have wait very long to be seen. On days that would just go to get blood work, I was in and out in 15 minutes. The up front receptionist was very sweet and would work with you on payments etc.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
Monitoring appointments were very convenient. Several appointment times were available to my choosing.
$10,975 was due at suppression check. We paid about $4000 for screenings and monitoring.
Dr. Houserman recommended transferring 2 embryos. She did however recommend not transferring anymore than 2.

Endometriosis, Unexplained
Strengths were that I did eventually get in to do an exploratory laparoscopic surgery to evaluate the structure of my reproductive organs. Weakness - Although I had already been trying for over year and a half to get pregnant before I came to Houserman, it still took her over 7 months to give me any kind of diagnosis and she was willing to suggest I do costly fertility treatments, even if my problem could have prevented them from having any chance of working. I went to Dr. Houserman the first visit and gave her a comprehensive list of my health problems (heavy, long periods; back pain; pelvic pain; pain during intercourse; bowel trouble and bleeding bowel). What I know now is that all of these symptoms were reason to look into whether my problem was endometriosis. Instead, she prescribed me fertility medications which contained estrogen, which makes endometriosis worse and increases the inflammation, which decreases the chance of an egg getting fertilized and implanting. I feel like the 7 months and the hundreds of dollars I spent on fertility injections were a complete waste of time and money. Weakness - they do not do excision surgery on endometriosis and perpetuate the false information that burning off endometriosis with a laser will treat it and increase your chances of fertility. In reality (there is scientific evidence to back this up), the endometriosis can grow back as soon as the month after the surgery, so there is no guarantee that you have any period of better fertility. Instead of referring endo patients to an excision specialist, they continue to prescribe fertility meds and recommend iui and/or ivf without telling you anything about your decreased chances in those working if the endo grows back. Weakness: Do not give you any information on the possibility of any of your problems being cancerous. I went in the month after my lap surgery and was told I had a 7 cm cyst on my ovary and not given any information on the type of cyst, the precaution I should take to not increase the chances of the cyst growing bigger, or given any reason as to why a cyst that large popped up in a mere 3 weeks after my lap.
Do your research on all possible infertility problems before you visit her and if you think you might have a particular problem that they have not looked into or diagnosed, push for the specific tests that can diagnose that problem. Also, set your boundaries with her up front to let her know if you do not have the financial means to do iui or ivf. That way, she knows to be honest with you and tell you there is nothing more she can do to help you besides doing one of those procedures. It will eliminate wasting more time and money.
No, I felt like since I had to go to a satellite office (since it was the closest of their offices to me), I had a lot of ultrasounds with no discussion at all about what was going on. If I wanted to see the Dr., I either had to schedule a video conference, which took over a month, or I had to drive an additional 2 hours to the main office, which still took over a month to get in. During the video conferences, I felt like nothing was discussed in depth and I was given short answers, if any at all. We never got to the bottom of the problem of what was wrong with me, I was just always encouraged to do iui, even though my husbands' sperm was tested and proven to be more than good two times. Even though I felt that I had endometriosis and was told there might be a polyp in my uterus, I was still told to try iui until I pushed hard for exploratory laparoscopic surgery. I was not even told the lap was an option until I was 6 months into the treatments. I initially thought they would study my case individually, not just push me into a treatment that was not specifically designed to treat my condition.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ART Fertility Program of Alabama. (Assigned nurse: Sheena)
They had one nurse practitioner at the Montgomery satellite office. Her name was Sarah and she was the only person who would give you medical information or evaluate your records and ultrasounds. Most of the time they would not schedule you with her. They would schedule you with the regular nurse, Sheena, who would not even look at your ultrasound or tell you anything about it. She would not volunteer info about test results. You had to ask her and pull it out of her. All she did was look at the plan Dr. Houserman created for you and ask you if you were ready for her to put the prescription in to the mail order pharmacy. So, unless you saw Sarah, there was really no point in even having an ultrasound. Unfortunately, as of last week, Sarah is no longer there and it is only Sheena.

1 IVF, Donor Sperm, Surrogacy
My wife and I had an issue with the billing department being respectful regarding our sexual orientation as a couple. Dr. Houserman made sure to address the issue with the individual in billing. Dr. Houserman apologized to us and said it wouldn’t happen again...She’s very matter of fact, but courteous. We had to ask specific questions about certain things that weren’t obvious, but she answered our questions/concerns without hestitation...
1 IVF, Donor Sperm, Surrogacy
She’s very matter of fact, but courteous. We had to ask specific questions about certain things that weren’t obvious, but she answered our questions/concerns without hestitation. Hopefully our first cycle will be successful.
She’s blunt, don’t take offense. Ask questions no matter what.
I don’t remember the overall strategy, but some of my meds included Ovasitol, Menapur, Follustim, and a trigger shot before retrieval. We retrieved 10 eggs, all 10 were mature and frozen. My wife is currently doing a “down-regulation” protocol with BCP, Lupron, Estrace, and Progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ART Fertility Program of Alabama. (Assigned nurse: Tracey)
Tracey was/is great. So is the sweet little lady that takes care of the blood work. Anytime I called with questions or concerns, they would jump right on it... sometimes it may be confusing to have information at several clinics, but they would figure everything out.
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
Strengths: Caring, Flexible, Informative Weakness: Sometimes unable to synthesize information from bith clinics. They do try though. Also check back after an appointment to make sure information was relayed accurately.
Monitoring appointments were scheduled to my liking.
Around average. Meds and monitoring were covered by insurance with copay.
I’m 40, so multiple embryos being transferred was discussed.

2014 - 2018
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation
Dr. Hoiserman builds relationships with her patients and takes the time to get to know them and truly help them.... She's a blessing and so reassuring that my family will be complete. She goes beyond to make sure i am informed aware. and the best treatment option to help me achieve my deeams of having a baby. Her kindness is sincere and loving.... I was monitored closely and was allowed to try naturally however that resulted in a miscarriage twice, then i was treated for vitamin deficiency...
2014 - 2018
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation
Be open to her opinions
I was monitored closely and was allowed to try naturally however that resulted in a miscarriage twice, then i was treated for vitamin deficiency for progesterone and needed to use those for extra help 3x day 100mg, i was given folgard and told to take d3 5000. I was put on clomid 100mg 2xday for cycle days 5-9 and did the trigger early am. I did the tww and by urine and blood test i was told i was pregnant.
They are wonderful
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
The clinic was very professional I think one of the weaknesses is that sometimes they're understaffed but overall they're a great place to go to receive treatment for fertility everyone is very knowledgeable and friendly
I think its pretty affordable

5 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr.Houserman was a very good Doctor she talked to us like we were her family she went over every step each time that I seen her she told me stories about how she went thru the same thing herself and it really touched my heart cause it helped me realize that she really care about what she was doing...I went every week to get blood work to make sure that everything was good I then started taking pill for about three weeks after that I had to take shots for about three week that was very challenging at time I cried ever Day but I just kept praying and pushing hard I was so sore everyday but I had my mind and heart set on me having my first baby that would do anything the trigger shot was the worst but when want what you want you can handle all pain
5 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
To trust her she has your best interest at heart cause she at one time was sitting and your seat
I felt like a human because they knew me by name they treated me like family
Very nice people alway provided great service
Describe your experience with ART Fertility Program of Alabama.
Very nice people best clinic in Birmingham I seen other people before going here but they are the best very caring outgoing people who make you feel like they care always very nice and make sure you know what is going on
I spend about 15000 when it was all done!!

Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr Houserman can be very business and then personal at times as well. Dr Houserman seems very intelligent and helps to ease the nerves knowing she’s knowledgeable in what she is doing. She has always exhausted all options when doing treatments.... [ART Fertility Program of AL- Montgomery's] Strengths are they are all very friendly and make you feel good even when things are going good. Weakness is the clinic is small so sometimes it’s not always as private as you would like because you can most things said in there.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
To ask a lot of questions.
Listens to what you have to say.
Very nice