5.3

Wash U. St. Louis

nurse available by email
Virginia Houserman works in 1 office at

Birmingham (closed)
2006 Brookwood Med. Ctr. Dr.
Birmingham, AL 35209

Dr. Houserman is a very knowledgeable and nice woman. She is blunt which I am ok with. Her bedside manner is pretty good. During a procedure she was very confident and reassuring, though quick. She is like most doctors where her time is stretched a bit and it’s a quick interaction...The first strategy was IUI. And if/when those didn’t work we would start something more in depth.
[ART Fertility Program of Alabama] Strengths would be: Warmth. In all things they have been nothing but loving Knowledge. They are good at answering questions and if they don’t know the answer finding someone who does And comfort. They make sure that through everything you are comfortable and at ease through the processes Weakness: ? I’ve tried to think of one and am at a loss for input
How was your experience with Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Don’t wait. If you think you need to see a specialist then do it. Houserman will do all in her power to try and get you to your end goal
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Being at a satellite location I don’t get to see houserman much, but when I do she has been slightly in between. The first consultation she was more indifferent which I believe was because she didn’t have all of my info yet. She is very thorough
Describe the protocols Virginia Houserman used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama) and their degree of success.
The first strategy was IUI. And if/when those didn’t work we would start something more in depth. New plans are being set at the moment
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Tracy and chasity )
The nurses are amazing at Montgomery. They are caring and knowledgeable about fertility. Through treatment they really helped us to feel loved and involved in the whole process
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Virginia Houserman at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
Care and pricing seems about the same as all specialists in AL.
Montgomery

[Dr. Virginia Houserman] is very personal and caring with treatments and decisions to be made with each cycle/retrieval/transfer. she always assured us she was acting with our best interests in mind. she personally checked on us after each failed cycle...we transferred one the first two transfers and then she allowed us to transfer two the next cycle bc one embryo wasn’t graded as high as the rest.
The nurses and staff [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama] are so compassionate and involved in your treatment...i really like how i could go to huntsville for checkups, video conferences and bloodwork, i only had to drive to birmingham for retrievals and transfers. the staff are so helpful with any questions you have...[Dr. Houserman] is very personal and caring with treatments and decisions to be made with each cycle/retrieval/transfer. she always assured us she was acting with our best interests in mind. she personally checked on us after each failed cycle
she is very personal and caring with treatments and decisions to be made with each cycle/retrieval/transfer. she always assured us she was acting with our best interests in mind. she personally checked on us after each failed cycle
be honest in what you want and don’t hold back
she is very personal
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
The nurses and staff are so compassionate and involved in your treatments
Describe Virginia Houserman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
We did many rounds of of timed intercourse and only one was successful but ended in miscarriage [protocol with Dr. Houserman]. We’ve also done two IUIs which were both unsuccessful. We used follistem injections and letrozole to help me have more follicles and better chances of conceiving...is very caring, and personalized a treatment plan specifically for my husband and I. She is somewhat straight forward, but we like that. We definitely feel like she genuinely cares for us.
My main nurses [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama] were wonderful! They helped me through every process, answered my millions of questions, and gave me hope. They are beautiful ladies with hearts of gold!...there was just one time that I wasn’t called with lab results, only they documented that they did call. Not a big deal in the long run...Overall, the clinic is run pretty well. The staff is friendly, and they all seem to truly care about their patients. Labs come back properly and calls are returned promptly, most of the time. I enjoy the ladies that work there.
Overall, Dr. Houserman and my experience have been very positive. I like how caring and positive she is. However, she is also very straight forward, which is something I don’t mind. She also is only willing to try treatment plans that we are comfortable with. She doesn’t try to push certain treatments or procedures we aren’t ready for. We very much enjoy her.
Some people might think that her being straight forward is harsh, but she’s very genuine and has a good heart. So, don’t mistaken that for her being rude or uncaring.
Dr. Houserman is very caring, and personalized a treatment plan specifically for my husband and I. She is somewhat straight forward, but we like that. We definitely feel like she genuinely cares for us.
We did many rounds of of timed intercourse and only one was successful but ended in miscarriage. We’ve also done two IUIs which were both unsuccessful. We used follistem injections and letrozole to help me have more follicles and better chances of conceiving. So far it just hasn’t been our time. However, we are still trying.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Tracy/ Chasity )
My main nurses were wonderful! They helped me through every process, answered my millions of questions, and gave me hope. They are beautiful ladies with hearts of gold!
I have pretty good insurance. It covered most of my treatments and procedures. But I definitely wouldn’t be able to afford everything without the insurance I have now.
What specific things went wrong at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
There was just one time that I wasn’t called with lab results, only they documented that they did call. Not a big deal in the long run.
Montgomery
She [Dr. Houserman] answered all of our questions and explained things very well to the both of us. During the hsg test she was gentle and comforting. She also experienced infertility so I think she truly has a heart for her job.... I had labs drawn for PCOS and no one has really told me the results other than my vitamin d level is low.... Letrozole was our drug of choice. US were done for my first cycle 3 times a week. Monitoring follicles. Hcg trigger shot was done and progesterone
The nursing staff [ART] have been some of the friendliest people I have dealt with in the medical field... Strengths- everyone from the ladies that check you in to the lab tech to the nurse practitioner are all so sweet and friendly. Weakness- I’ll be honest I haven’t been there long enough to know weaknesses... I had labs drawn for PCOS and no one has really told me the results other than my vitamin d level is low.
She answered all of our questions and explained things very well to the both of us. During the hsg test she was gentle and comforting. She also experienced infertility so I think she truly has a heart for her job.
When in doubt ask questions
She took the time to explain things to me and my husband and seemed very hopeful for us.
Letrozole was our drug of choice. US were done for my first cycle 3 times a week. Monitoring follicles. Hcg trigger shot was done and progesterone was checked a week after ovulation. Labs were drawn with every visit.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama).
The nursing staff have been some of the friendliest people I have dealt with in the medical field
2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
I felt that she [Dr. Houserman] was very open to answering our questions and addressing our concerns. She understood our frustrations and our emotions and gave us numerous options without making us feel overwhelmed. ... She also always did what was in our best interest, even if we felt like rushing things or taking things too slow. ... But if my ovaries were too large or I had cysts, she would make us wait a month.
I think their strengths is their team work and communication [ART Fertility]. They always worked together to keep the flow of the clinic going well. ... The nurses and nurse practitioner at the Montgomery office were great. They work very efficiently and always understood my time frame and respected that. ... Tracey Mendelson and the other nurses always answered all of my questions.
My experience with her was great. She always told us all of our options and never encouraged us to give up. She also always did what was in our best interest, even if we felt like rushing things or taking things too slow. And she never discouraged us from getting second opinions or talking to other people. She was secure in her knowledge but also knew her limits.
To not necessarily expect a lot of warm and fuzzies. She is super nice and very smart and compassionate. But she is not a “touchy felt” type, which just happened to work for my husband and I.
I felt that she was very open to answering our questions and addressing our concerns. She understood our frustrations and our emotions and gave us numerous options without making us feel overwhelmed.
We went through 5 rounds of IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF over the past 3 and a half years. Dr. Houserman seemed to find a good balance between aggressive and safe. She knew that we did not want to half do things, so she allowed us to keep increasing medications and the protocols when she felt like it would help. But if my ovaries were too large or I had cysts, she would make us wait a month.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Tracey Mendelson)
The nurses and nurse practitioner at the Montgomery office were great. They work very efficiently and always understood my time frame and respected that. They were always friendly and ready to help, even when it was early in the morning. Tracey Mendelson and the other nurses always answered all of my questions.
I think their strengths is their team work and communication. They always worked together to keep the flow of the clinic going well. They never made us wait that long in the waiting room and always did things to use their time wisely.
Everything was very expensive because our insurance did not cover any testing or procedures. I don’t think they were necessarily better or worse than any other clinic or doctor. The medications and the procedures are what cost the most.
Birmingham (closed)

I was concerned about my weight, and I wasn't having cycles on my own. She [Dr. Houserman] told me it was a non-issue, as my treatments were essentially controlling my hormones and their roles for me. I took a break for over two years. I lost 40 pounds, and came back to her for treatment again. When I visited her for a new consult, she said they weightloss was great, but another 40 pounds would be even better... I was confused because years earlier, it seemed to be a non-issue. Anybody who's ever gone through fertility treatments knows what a difficult task it is to lose weight while injecting all of these meds. I didn't lose any weight during the next 7 months of treatment, but I didn't gain any either. My follicles definitely responded better this time, as I was ready to trigger just 10 days in! I went through 7 months of treatments, each ending with a negative beta.
out of pocket they [IUIs] were around $400 per cycle. IVF starts around $11,000 per individual cycle [at ART Fertility Program of Alabama]...The Montgomery clinic is a small satellite clinic for the main office in Birmingham. The doctor is only at the satellite office when visiting a new patient. All interactions with the doctor from the satellite clinic are via video conference. The Montgomery office is small, but I've never had to wait more than just a few minutes to get back to a patient room.
Dr. Houserman is very realistic, without being overly blunt. She will answer any questions you may have, but over my entire course of treatment, I've only seen her a few times. Almost all of my interactions have been through the Nurse Practitioner. If I do "meet" with Dr. Houserman, it's a teleconference. If I want to meet in person, I have to drive to Birmingham, which is over 2 hours away. When she comes to the Montgomery clinic, it's only for new patients. It makes me feel like a level of personal understanding of my needs and goals is not being met.
She is practical and realistic. She is not overly soft & sensitive, so if you're looking to be hugged and coddled, she is not the doctor for you. She is warm and kind but matter-of-fact when it comes to prognosis, treatment, etc.
I have PCOS. I initially went to Dr. Houserman years ago, but my follicles would never grow to maturity to do a trigger shot. I was concerned about my weight, and I wasn't having cycles on my own. She told me it was a non-issue, as my treatments were essentially controlling my hormones and their roles for me. I took a break for over two years. I lost 40 pounds, and came back to her for treatment again. When I visited her for a new consult, she said they weightloss was great, but another 40 pounds would be even better. I was confused because years earlier, it seemed to be a non-issue. Anybody who's ever gone through fertility treatments knows what a difficult task it is to lose weight while injecting all of these meds. I didn't lose any weight during the next 7 months of treatment, but I didn't gain any either. My follicles definitely responded better this time, as I was ready to trigger just 10 days in! I went through 7 months of treatments, each ending with a negative beta. I started out with clomid+menopur for a couple of cycles, then just menopur, then increased menopur, then follistim+menopur. The longer I continued with treatments, the slower my follicles began to grow. It's as if my body was just tired, and nothing was working. I met with her a couple of months ago, where she told me I had made a 'valiant effort', but it was time to move on to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists (formerly ART Fertility Program of Alabama). (Assigned nurse: Tracy)
Tracy is a very good listener. She's honest, compassionate and optimistic, which is exactly what you need when you're going through this process. She, too, has gone through treatments, so she understands the whole process from the patient's side.
Insurance did not cover IUIs, so out of pocket they were around $400 per cycle. IVF starts around $11,000 per individual cycle.

2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Houserman was kind and direct... She was very educated on *studies* and statistics which I found helpful. She laid out options and I told her what I wasn't comfortable with and we moved forward. Overall, I was so pleased and will continue to see her as my doctor...In our first meeting she made connections with my story. She repeated back parts of my medical history. She made sure that she had all the details correct. She did it tell me what to do, she asked what I thought.
This clinic is efficient and well run. The staff is sincere and act like they really want to be there. The staff is willing to answer your questions and work with you. Their answering service is very efficient. They are truly there for you in the most chaotic time of some of our lives...I cannot say enough kind things about the nursing staff. Everyone I have come in contact with has been kind, helpful and loving...
Dr. Houserman was kind and direct. I normally do not like to see women doctors, but I was pleasantly pleased with our initial meeting. She was very educated on *studies* and statistics which I found helpful. She laid out options and I told her what I wasn't comfortable with and we moved forward. Overall, I was so pleased and will continue to see her as my doctor.
I would know where you draw the line in fertility treatments. How far down the fertility treatment path do you want to go? You need to know what you are and aren't comfortable with.
This is my first cycle with Dr. Houserman so I do not know if I am pregnant. This cycle i had to have an HSG test performed. I also used follistim {8 days of 75 UI}, ovidrel trigger shot, and IUI. Progesterone was also prescribed to take after my IUI. She actually wanted to go straight to IVF considering the amount of years we have been without conceiving but we took a step back. I am satisfied and happy with our protocol and steps we've taken this cycle.
My blood work/ultrasound visits were about $30. My IUI was was $395. The meds were about $125 total.