5.4

Crystal Lake, IL 60014
1585 North Barrington Road
Hoffman Estates, IL 60169

2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Karande seemed straight forward and honest about treatment and expectations, which I appreciated. ... However, I do feel like they weren't proactive about being informative ... For example, at our initial consultation it was presented as if we would begin testing immediately (which we did), and begin our cycle the following month. But when the next month arrived, they made me redo the testing I'd already had, as if it was the first time and delayed my cycle by another month. When I questioned the nurse, she acted like it ward the first time I'd been examined despite me telling her I'd already done the baseline tests. It was odd to say the least, and frustrating to have to wait even longer top get started. And no one seemed capable of telling my WHY I had to do it again
I feel like the practice [InVia Fertility Specialists] wasn't particularly forthcoming with information and next steps. I was constantly having to ask for what I needed to do, what comes next, why is there a delay, etc. Billing was also very confusing, and we often didn't know what we had to pay or co-pay until a bill was presented later. Not much info up front. ...
How was your experience with Vishvanath C. Karande at InVia Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Karande seemed straight forward and honest about treatment and expectations, which I appreciated. Everyone was nice. However, I do feel like they weren't proactive about being informative, like they assumed I knew what was happening without telling me. For example, at our initial consultation it was presented as if we would begin testing immediately (which we did), and begin our cycle the following month. But when the next month arrived, they made me redo the testing I'd already had, as if it was the first time and delayed my cycle by another month. When I questioned the nurse, she acted like it ward the first time I'd been examined despite me telling her I'd already done the baseline tests. It was odd to say the least, and frustrating to have to wait even longer top get started. And no one seemed capable of telling my WHY I had to do it again.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Vishvanath C. Karande at InVia Fertility Specialists?
Get your plan in writing. Don't let them just tell you verbally. That way you have a record of it that you can refer to, and there's no delay or confusion due to miscommunication on their part or on yours.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Vishvanath C. Karande at InVia Fertility Specialists?
I feel like the practice wasn't particularly forthcoming with information and next steps. I was constantly having to ask for what I needed to do, what comes next, why is there a delay, etc. Billing was also very confusing, and we often didn't know what we had to pay or co-pay until a bill was presented later. Not much info up front.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at InVia Fertility Specialists.
Nice, but seemed disorganized and not very informed about my plan of care.
Describe your experience with InVia Fertility Specialists.
I think my previous comment describes it accurately. Just be careful to get your plan of care in writing and don't wait for them to contact you with what you need to do - contact THEM and make sure you don't get lost in the shuffle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Vishvanath C. Karande at InVia Fertility Specialists.
$10k +
What specific things went wrong at InVia Fertility Specialists?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at InVia Fertility Specialists.
I described it previously. The plan of care that was discussed with the physician was not followed through later on, and we lost a cycle and had to do duplicate exams/ tests. I still don't know why the cycle was delayed. It resulted in our injections and retrieval being delayed indefinitely when services were shut down (for the shelter-in-place order).
Arlington Heights

2019 - 2021, Successful
Do not expect Dr. Karande to be personal. He will give you information if you ask, but doesn't volunteer it...will only transfer 1 embryo at a time, no exceptions...Dr. Karande described their typical egg retrieval process for separate petri dish fertilization. He outlined the medications used and each cycle, a hysteroscopy is done...He gave canned answers about policy, and I felt like he ignored feedback about how poorly his billing department works...
The clinic's [InVia Fertility Specialists] weakest points are the billing department - disorganized, not following protocol...The nurses are personable. I saw several multiple times, and they remembered me by name...This office never does multiple embryo transfers. No exceptions...The billing department lost track of payments made and invoices. I kept on top of things because they're so bad at keeping track of information...
Dr. Karande outlined our initial treatment cycle on paper, in person in 2019. I saw him once in a while during treatment, for maybe 5 minutes towards the end of appointments. I don't remember who did the egg retrieval. His partner did the actual fresh egg transfer. At our last appointment of 2019, I felt my feedback about his billing department was brushed off. They didn't improve in the intervening time with storage billing. After being released from treatment, I saw him occasionally as we worked in the same building (I worked for a different company). He was polite, but I didn't feel like he recognized me. My virtual appointment in 2021 was very brief. He didn't ask about my fiancé or previous experience. He asked to see a photo of my child, but I was on my phone at home during the appointment, which has all my photos. He didn't remember that I showed him a photo in the elevator at work in 2020. He's old school.
Do not expect Dr. Karande to be personal. He will give you information if you ask, but doesn't volunteer it. He is completely detached from the billing department. He is strict about following policy. This office will only transfer 1 embryo at a time, no exceptions.
Dr. Karande did not recognize me outside of the office. I worked in the same building as one of the offices for 2 years. He gave canned answers about policy, and I felt like he ignored feedback about how poorly his billing department works. We will be transferring our frozen embryos from this clinic due to their inflexible policy. I also felt that they nickel and dime for everything. If you want records sent out, fees increase for every 5 pages.
Describe the protocols Vishvanath C. Karande used in your cycles at InVia Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
Dr. Karande described their typical egg retrieval process for separate petri dish fertilization. He outlined the medications used and each cycle, a hysteroscopy is done (uterus is filled with liquid to check for pregnancy potential). Our cycle produced 3 embryos. 1 was fresh transferred and 2 were frozen. We have a healthy toddler now.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at InVia Fertility Specialists.
The nurses are personable. I saw several multiple times, and they remembered me by name. There was one who had an issue with a blood draw that got messy and she became a bit flustered about that. My fiancé is also an RN, and he would critique their technique as not best practices (i.e. no one should be fanning air over an injection site that had been rubbed with alcohol to dry the alcohol faster).
Describe your experience with InVia Fertility Specialists.
I went to the Crystal Lake and Hoffman Estates locations the most. The one in Crystal Lake had fewer staff. I felt I often walked into an empty front office there. The Hoffman Estates office was busy. I always had to wait there. with other patients. The nurse educator for the medications was very thorough and kind. The clinic's weakest points are the billing department - disorganized, not following protocol. Storage billing should start with $1000, then bill $50 for 3 months, then go to $150 quarterly. I received a $1150 bill, then a $50 bill immediately. Was told it was from the upcoming month after. Next bill was a quarterly bill, re-billing for the single month I had already paid for. I felt I was constantly dealing with contacting the billing department with corrections. They didn't improve during COVID-19, billing 6 months close together, missing a mailing altogether, then I was contacted by e-mail. Very inconsistent. I knew this ahead of time from online reviews.
Billing was vaguely detailed in the beginning. Dates, costs. I always compared them to my insurance benefits statements. I had to push back on them multiple times about billing errors. Many costs are in their fine print, but they didn't follow their fine print. I had to deal with multiple billing errors over the years. Phone calls needed to be made. Errors with double-billing months, not acknowledging online payment, receiving letters and phone calls about nonpayment after, and beware, if you want to sent records to another place, there are fees for every 5 pages. Storage billing began as vague. I felt lied to about their mistake in billing in the beginning. I think it is part of why they double-billed a month and then had to correct the invoice. Even with insurance, medication costs were very expensive. I was thankful to have reached my out of pocket maximum before the end of the year.
Describe Vishvanath C. Karande's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at InVia Fertility Specialists.
This office never does multiple embryo transfers. No exceptions. The reason I was given was "for healthy babies."
What specific things went wrong at InVia Fertility Specialists?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at InVia Fertility Specialists.
The billing department lost track of payments made and invoices. I kept on top of things because they're so bad at keeping track of information. I paid online, but still received phone calls about non-payment about a week later. I had to call the billing department multiple times to clarify from 2019 to 2021. Unfortunately, this seems to be a common experience, as I saw multiple reviews with billing department complaints online prior to starting my cycle.

2012 - 2014, Unsuccessful
Dr. Karande had told me my chances of success were high because I was so young yet he never gave me an actual reason why I was infertile. He didn't do anything before jumping right Into IVF... During each ultrasound he would say I had a little Endo but no big deal in fact he said "the best way to cure Endo is to get pregnant"....I have stage 4 Endo that was attached to both ovaries...Get a second opinion before you go just to be sure he isn't missing anything.
The clinic [InVia] itself was nice and a fun environment. The staff were always kind and compassionate...I loved the nursing staff. They were all kind and knew my name as soon as i walked in the door. They were quick to answer questions and send an email back...My insurance covered almost all of it but it was pricey!...For My IVF cycles I used small doses of lupron, follistem, monupur, gonral x(I think that's the name) and I can't remember the HCG trigger I used.
Dr. Karande had told me my chances of success were high because I was so young yet he never gave me an actual reason why I was infertile. He didn't do anything before jumping right Into IVF which I now realize was because my insurance would pay Boohoo bucks for it! During each ultrasound he would say I had a little Endo but no big deal in fact he said "the best way to cure Endo is to get pregnant". After I aged off my parent's insurance I had to stop IVF. 4 transfers still no live baby :(...Fast forward a year later and I had exteme pain. I went to a regular gyno who did a lap and I have stage 4 Endo that was attached to both ovaries. That dr and the next Endo dr I went to said I never would should have done IVF without cleaning the Endo out first. It was so bad I apparently had little chance for success. So Dr. Karande wasted my little time that I had on my dad's great insurance and let me do all those cycles only to have my heart broken. Oh and when I wasn't getting pregnant he said to me "well I know its not my clinic because everyone else has been getting pregnant this year"...ummm??
Get a second opinion before you go just to be sure he isn't missing anything.
When I finally got my BFP I was over the moon. I made it to beta #2 with strong numbers then lost the pregnancy. My RE said to me as I cried and asked why "these things just happen". It felt cold and as someone who was grieving their baby, as well as paying a lot of money for him I wanted a reason.
For My IVF cycles I used small doses of lupron, follistem, monupur, gonral x(I think that's the name) and I can't remember the HCG trigger I used. The Follistem was the easiest to administer. I took Crinone progesterone suppositories each cycle. After a retrieval I had doxycycln to help stop any infections.
Describe your experience with InVia Fertility Specialists.
The clinic itself was nice and a fun environment. The staff were always kind and compassionate.
My insurance covered almost all of it but it was pricey! However the clinic is more towards the city so that's to be expected.
He said single was better because of my little size but after the first one didn't work he allowed me to try 2.