Center for Human Reproduction

Medical SchoolTel Aviv U.
ResidencyUMDNJ
FellowshipEmory
21 E. 69th Street
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Vitaly Kushnir to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 67%Neutral: 33%9
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Human Reproduction to a friend?
I went to Dr. Kushnir after another doctor recommended egg donation and wouldn't let me try with my own eggs. Dr. Kushnir explained that the odds of getting pregnant with my own eggs were low given my low AMH, but told us that he was willing to help us if we wanted to go that route. We had 2 IVF cycles, back to back, and I got pregnant in the second cycle.... We had an early retrieval in the first cycle, but he went even earlier in the second, when the lead follicle was 16 mm. With this adjustment, we got more eggs and better-quality embryos than in the first cycle, one of which resulted in a pregnancy
How was your experience with Vitaly Kushnir at Center for Human Reproduction?
I went to Dr. Kushnir after another doctor recommended egg donation and wouldn't let me try with my own eggs. Dr. Kushnir explained that the odds of getting pregnant with my own eggs were low given my low AMH, but told us that he was willing to help us if we wanted to go that route. We had 2 IVF cycles, back to back, and I got pregnant in the second cycle. He said during the follow-up conversation we had after the first one didn't result in a pregnancy that our case was reviewed by everyone at the center, and he adjusted the protocol and timing based on the discussion. We had an early retrieval in the first cycle, but he went even earlier in the second, when the lead follicle was 16 mm. With this adjustment, we got more eggs and better-quality embryos than in the first cycle, one of which resulted in a pregnancy. Throughout all this, Dr. Kushnir explained everything in detail, and we appreciated that he shared the reasoning behind the approaches he was recommending, instead of just telling us what to do.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Vitaly Kushnir at Center for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Kushnir spent nearly an hour for our consultation, while other doctors almost immediately dismissed us as too old to even try with our own eggs. After taking detailed history on us and reviewing test results, he laid out what we would be up against, told us that we'd be far more likely to succeed with donor eggs (which we knew), but was willing to do what he can to help us have our own biological child. He also responded to our innumerable questions via email during my treatment cycle.
Describe the protocols Vitaly Kushnir used in your cycles at Center for Human Reproduction and their degree of success.
I already wrote about this in response to an earlier question, but here's what we had: DHEA and CoQ10 for about 2 months (to prepare my ovaries). During that time, they were monitoring a number of hormone levels that I can't fully recall, in order to ensure that the effects of these supplements were in place before we started our cycles. We also didn't take a break after the first cycle failed, at his recommendation. We used high doses of FSH and HMG, and hCG for trigger after 7 days for the 2nd cycle (the successful one) when the lead follicle was 16mm. Dr. Kushnir said the reasoning behind this early retrieval was to keep my eggs from getting "overripe" because my ovaries were maturing eggs in an accelerated pace, which he said is typical for women with low reserve.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Human Reproduction.
I was actually transferred to a second nurse after the first nurse left the center. Both were good, very efficient and clear, but I definitely jelled better with my second nurse, who was more openly compassionate than my first nurse. It's a matter of preference, though--both did a perfectly fine job explaining everything to me (I asked a lot of questions because this was my first time going through IVF, and I like to know everything), organizing the logistics and keeping me updated about results and what not.
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
Strengths: They really seem to believe that patients should be the one to make their own life decisions with full information, which we appreciated. Lots of research going on at the center, which seems to result in strategies that don't exist at other IVF centers, like the early retrieval protocol we used. It's a small, private center. We felt like we knew everyone and everyone greeted us with our names, which felt great during this difficult time. Weaknesses: They take very few insurances. Ours (BCBS) wasn't in network. They also require full payment upfront. Sometimes I had to play phone tag with their staff (nurses and front desk), though most things could be handled through email.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Center for Human Reproduction.
It would have been great if the monitoring hours were a bit earlier.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Vitaly Kushnir at Center for Human Reproduction.
Around $18,000 per IVF cycle plus $2,500 for medications.
Describe Vitaly Kushnir's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Human Reproduction.
They don't believe in universal eSET, and let us decide what to do. We went with multiple embryos, as we were fine with twins and wanted to maximize our chances.
What specific things went wrong at Center for Human Reproduction?
Center for Human Reproduction
Dr. Kushnir is technical and specific about your individual care. He explains things logically and answers all of my questions completely. I felt like he had a real plan for me from the start and wasn't making things up as we went along, which is how I felt a lot of the time with other physicians.... Dr. Kushnir gave us alternate plans and helped guide us on which one was best for us based on our medical conditions. He was straightforward, but kind and flexible. He was always available via email and easy to approach.
How was your experience with Vitaly Kushnir at Center for Human Reproduction?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Vitaly Kushnir at Center for Human Reproduction?
Ask questions! He will always answer them.
I don't know what the protocol was called but I was placed on Gonal-F and Menopur once a day, each and 2mg of Estradiol daily. They wanted to give me a high stim protocol to see how I'd respond given my low ovarian reserve. We're still actively engaged in the protocol, so I'm not sure about the results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Huina)
Huina is by far the best nursing coordinator I've met and I've been to several clinics. She's organized, anticipates my needs, makes my life easier and communicates often and well.
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
CHR is a great clinic. They are organized, well staffed and easy to work with. Their monitoring hours need to be earlier though, they are from 8:30-11am which is too late for me because of work. So that makes it hard. Everything else has been great.
so far Dr Vitaly has attempted to either get our insurance to cover our costs or lower his out of pocket prices
Center for Human Reproduction
Dr. Kushnir is a very compassionate person who clearly understands the patient's individual needs and makes you feel very comfortable. Convinced me that I don't need donor's eggs unlike other doctors I consulted with...Thoroughly explained what my issues were, and assured that I still have a chance to get pregnant with my own eggs. Very good on following up...450 IU of Gonal 150 IU of Menopur Early retrieval
How was your experience with Vitaly Kushnir at Center for Human Reproduction?
Everything is great as it is
450 IU of Gonal 150 IU of Menopur Early retrieval
Very good on coordinating and follow up
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
Latest technologies, friendly approach. Extremely coordinated and make you feel comfortable. Every procedure is done on premises. Professional staff and quick to get an appointment. I highly recommend.
$50 copay for appointment Around $20,000 for a fresh IVF cycle