Medical SchoolMayo Medical School
ResidencyU of California in San Francisco
FellowshipKeck School of Medicine
6565 France Avenue South
Edina, MN 55435
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Wael Salem to a friend?

5.6

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend CCRM Minneapolis to a friend?
Dr. Salem has been very compassionate and great at communicating. He is the only doctor on staff right now while the other is out on maternity leave but he still took the time to call with updates and give us next steps. Everyone at the clinic has been wonderful and caring and patient with all the questions we’ve had throughout the process...really makes you feel like he wants to help, you’re not just a number...Due to my husbands abnormal sperm sample and the fact that we had tried other approaches prior to going to CCRM, Dr. Salem thought our most efficient and best option would be IVF since my tests showed normal results. We are currently in the transfer prepping phase of the cycle.
Due to my husbands abnormal sperm sample and the fact that we had tried other approaches prior to going to CCRM, Dr. Salem thought our most efficient and best option would be IVF since my tests showed normal results...The clinic and staff are always great. The appointment times are accurate, you’re never left waiting for too long, unlike a lot of doctor’s offices. Everyone there is always willing to answer questions to find the answers for you quickly. They never make you feel like an inconvenience. The only weakness I would say is Dr. Salem is flying solo right now which makes the schedule fill up very fast. I’m sure that will change when the other doctor returns.
How was your experience with Wael Salem at CCRM Minneapolis?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wael Salem at CCRM Minneapolis?
Ask as many questions as you want. He’s extreme patient and kind and really makes you feel like he wants to help, you’re not just a number.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wael Salem at CCRM Minneapolis?
He has been absolutely wonderful. He gives us the facts but in a way that is caring and assured that we’re going to get through it in a positive way. He’s very optimistic and we trust him.
Describe the protocols Wael Salem used in your cycles at CCRM Minneapolis and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Minneapolis. (Assigned nurse: Angie )
Every nurse I have worked with at the clinic has been nothing short of awesome. Any questions that have come up have been answered quickly and thoroughly. Everyone is extremely patient and caring. Even though going through this type of treatment is something no one wants, they have made it so much less painful to have to go into the doctor so many times for checks.
Describe your experience with CCRM Minneapolis.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wael Salem at CCRM Minneapolis.
So far the costs have been surprisingly minimal through our insurance. I do wish we could have gotten a better estimate up front on what the cost of the entire cycle was going to be including medications.
Describe Wael Salem's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at CCRM Minneapolis.
My doctor does the single embryo approach. When I asked about doing multiples to possibly have a better shot, he explained the benefits for the mother and child if only one is transferred and that made me feel better about the approach and care for myself after getting pregnant.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Wael Salem at CCRM Minneapolis.

I have PCOS and my husband has a normal sperm count/motility so we are good candidates for IUI. With the success rate of IUI (about 20%) the plan [with Dr. Wael Salem] is to do 3 rounds of IUI and if not successful moving on to IVF...takes the time to be prepared for our appointments and spent time to understand our goals before we developed a treatment plan. While we have not had a complete cycle due to setbacks, he has adjusted our plan to ensure that we are setting ourselves up for the best results.
Ensure that you are very clear on the type of appointment that you are trying to make [with CCRM Minneapolis]. Some appointments have to be scheduled before certain times, Sperm Preservation for example, this will help avoid confusion and get you the appointment that you need...They [staff] respond with thoughtful responses to questions and concerns. Additionally when we have had setbacks they have explained the reasoning and our next steps clearly and with compassion.
How was your experience with Wael Salem at CCRM Minneapolis?
Dr Salem takes the time to be prepared for our appointments and spent time to understand our goals before we developed a treatment plan. While we have not had a complete cycle due to setbacks, he has adjusted our plan to ensure that we are setting ourselves up for the best results.
Bring all of the questions that you can to understand the process, He was able to break down our plan using our results. It was helpful for me to have my questions written down so that I was sure I got all of the answers that I needed to feel good moving forward with our plan.
Dr. Salem and our Nurse are awesome. They respond with thoughtful responses to questions and concerns. Additionally when we have had setbacks they have explained the reasoning and our next steps clearly and with compassion.
I have PCOS and my husband has a normal sperm count/motility so we are good candidates for IUI. With the success rate of IUI (about 20%) the plan is to do 3 rounds of IUI and if not successful moving on to IVF. We were ready to start an IUI procedure using letrozole to trigger ovulation, sadly the lab found that one of my ovaries had an active cyst which would interfere with the treatment plan. So we did a 3 week cycle of birth control pills to quiet it down. We are currently waiting to see if that did the trick to move to doing a full cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Minneapolis. (Assigned nurse: Margaret)
Our nurse is awesome! She takes the time to make sure we understand the whole plan and answers any questions that we have.
Describe your experience with CCRM Minneapolis.
Ensure that you are very clear on the type of appointment that you are trying to make. Some appointments have to be scheduled before certain times, Sperm Preservation for example, this will help avoid confusion and get you the appointment that you need.
$383 was the cost for a sperm analysis and cryopreservation $253 is about what a monitoring appointment costs (day 2/3 appointment)
+ Read more- Read less

The first time I met Dr. Salem, he provided us with clear timelines and what things would look like. He was very thorough and has a personality that helps to make people feel comfortable. I have twins that were done previously through IVF at a clinic that is no longer open and he was diligent in getting all of that information to help inform him on my care... He is very open and honest about what to expect and outcomes...he prescribed me with thyroid medication to be sure that I had optimal levels. Then I went on birth control for 3 weeks before beginning my stimulation meds. I am on the last day of my stimulation meds now. I take 2 vials of menopur in the morning with my thyroid medication. At night I take Follistim and Dex. On day 5 I also began taking Gonirelix in the morning with the Menopur. I have had daily ultra sounds and blood work for the last 5 days. I will likely trigger tonight.
Cost of medication was about $7,000 [at CCRM Minneapolis] Cost of everything else was about $20,000 We did IVF with CCS testing. They also had sperm thaw...Strengths: The clinic is clean and easy to get to Staff is friendly and knowledgeable Was able to get financing with help of the clinic Came in on Easter Sunday and the nurses were still in good spirits Weakness: I haven't found one yet. (maybe cost, but that is not necessarily something unique to this clinic)
How was your experience with Wael Salem at CCRM Minneapolis?
Don't be afraid to ask questions. He is very open and honest about what to expect and outcomes.
Dr. Salem was amazing at telling you the truth, but using language that I could understand. He was pleasant and had a positive outlook without promising success.
The first thing that I did at CCRM was to get a full workup. They took blood and did ultrasounds to be sure that I was in good health. It was at this time that he prescribed me with thyroid medication to be sure that I had optimal levels. Then I went on birth control for 3 weeks before beginning my stimulation meds. I am on the last day of my stimulation meds now. I take 2 vials of menopur in the morning with my thyroid medication. At night I take Follistim and Dex. On day 5 I also began taking Gonirelix in the morning with the Menopur. I have had daily ultra sounds and blood work for the last 5 days. I will likely trigger tonight.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Minneapolis. (Assigned nurse: Angie)
The nursing staff at CCRM is outstanding. They are empathetic and understand that your time is valuable. I am a teacher, so leaving during the morning to go to appointments is difficult. They made every effort to make the appointments quick, without feeling like I was being pushed out. I had to call one time after hours to ask a question about my medication. The nurse responded to my message within 5 minutes and was so kind in her response.
Describe your experience with CCRM Minneapolis.
Cost of medication was about $7,000 Cost of everything else was about $20,000 We did IVF with CCS testing. They also had sperm thaw.
Dr. Salem prefers single embryo transfer as he believes that with added testing the results are likely going to be positive.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr.Salem is very compassionate and made me feel like my husband and I having a baby was his biggest priority. He had a manner that was extremely friendly and explained everything in great detail.... Dr. Salem primary did phone consists with me as we were far from the clinic. He always explained things in a way I could understand and made me feel confident our cycle would be successful. He explained his experience and how it compared with our expected treatment plan and I never doubted his expertise. He was caring during painful procedures and his knowledge of infertility blew me away.
It’s difficult to get same day results from outside clinic faxed to CCRM. They also ordered wrong medication which had to be corrected.... Weaknesses: not feeling like you’re able to get through to a nurse or billing coordinator when you need. It seemed like there were always multiple people looking at my chart and they would jumble the info. Feels like they would quickly rush you through appts. Strengths: having Dr.Salem on staff
How was your experience with Wael Salem at CCRM Minneapolis?
Dr. Salem primary did phone consists with me as we were far from the clinic. He always explained things in a way I could understand and made me feel confident our cycle would be successful. He explained his experience and how it compared with our expected treatment plan and I never doubted his expertise. He was caring during painful procedures and his knowledge of infertility blew me away. When answering questions I had, he did so in a way that didn’t belittle my lack of knowledge and explained everything so wonderfully.
If you’re unable to get the answers you need from his nursing staff, ask to speak directly with him. He’s more than happy to set aside time to speak with you.
For our Egg Retreival process, I was on 150units of Gonal F for 10 days starting day 16 of my cycle. I also did 1 vial of menopur for those 10 days and 5 days of cetrotide starting day 21 of my cycle. For my trigger prior to retreival I did leuprolide and novarel. I was also placed on a medication to lower my estrogen levels 2 days prior to retreival.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Minneapolis. (Assigned nurse: Andrea)
I didn’t end up primarily working with Andrea. There would be different nurses providing results each time. I didn’t feel like I knew how each monitoring appt went unless I asked for specifics. They would just say if I was on track or not.
Describe your experience with CCRM Minneapolis.
Ivf Egg retreival with Genetic testing and 1 frozen transfer is approximately $25000
Dr. Salem stated he prefers single embryo transfers

13 Eggs Frozen
Everyone you deal with at this clinic [CCRM Minneapolis] is extremely nice and caring. The nursing staff was excellent...$8,754 for an egg freezing cycle + $475 for anesthesia. The clinic also offers to reduce the fee for a second cycle by 20% and 15% for each cycle after that... is on the cutting edge of fertility technology. The only negative is that they don't bill insurance for you, but they do fill out all the claim forms for you so that you can submit them on your own - it is worth it to get the best treatment!
13 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Wael Salem at CCRM Minneapolis?
I met with Dr. Salem after having a bad experience at another fertility clinic. He is incredibly kind and compassionate. He is also incredibly smart and up to date on the latest information about fertility treatments. He worked really hard to get me the maximum number of eggs for freezing and tailored my treatment plan specifically to my issues (I ended up getting nearly double the number of eggs that I got at the previous clinic!) I sent my sister to him also because I was so impressed with his services.
Go see him! He is a great doctor! If you are a woman who its hesitant to go see a male ob/gyn, don't let that stop you - get the best treatment possible from the best doctor.
Dr. Salem is incredibly kind and compassionate. He is easy to get ahold of and actually called to see how I was feeling during my egg retrieval cycle. He knows his patients by name.
My treatment protocol was "Luteal Oral-Clomid Protocol 5 - freeze all only." I did a round of egg freezing at a prior clinic and got 7 mature eggs. Dr. Salem's goal was to get me at least a few more the second round. To do that, he advised me to wait 3 months after stopping birth control pills to see if my AMH would increase (it did! went from .5 to 1.78). Based on that, Dr. Salem concluded that birth control pills had a very suppressive effect on my ovaries, so rather than start my cycle with down-regulation by taking birth control pills, I waited for my natural LH surge and then started priming my ovaries by taking estrogen (estrace 2 mg tab twice a day). On day 3 of my next cycle I stopped taking estrace and started taking the stim meds (2 vials of menopur in the morning, 300 units follistim in the evening + 2 tabs of clomid for 5 days + dexamethosone). On day 7 of the stim meds I added in ganirelix in the morning. Triggered after 11 days of stims with HCG and Lupron. I got 13 mature eggs this round - almost double what I got at the previous clinic. I feel that Dr. Salem is directly responsible for the improvement - he really looked into which treatment plan would work best for my circumstances. The other clinic planned to do their exact same protocol a second time (birth control pills for 2 weeks to down-regulate, then start with 1 vial of menopur in the morning + 225 units of follistim in the evening, add ganirelix and then trigger with just HCG). It didn't work well the first time and they had to increase the medication half way though - I believe that if I had done that protocol again, I wouldn't have gotten as many eggs. In addition, they made it seem as though that was the best they could do for me - that because of my low AMH I should just be happy with the number I got. It was very frustrating. Dr. Salem's approach was much more tailored to me and really addressed the concerns I had at the first clinic. He is optimistic and tries to do the best for all of his patients.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Minneapolis. (Assigned nurse: Christie)
Everyone you deal with at this clinic is extremely nice and caring. The nursing staff was excellent. Christie, my nurse, was very nice and easy to get ahold of. She actually gives patients her extension number so that when you call, she actually answers! Which is a total contrast to the clinic I started at - you have to leave a voicemail and a random nurse would call back several hours later. Everyone at this clinic was nice and helpful. Even the phlebotomists were nice!
Describe your experience with CCRM Minneapolis.
I think this is the best fertility clinic in MN. I would 100% recommend it to anyone. I switched to this clinic after doing one round of egg freezing at another clinic in the twin cities. It was a night & day difference! This clinic is truly the best and is on the cutting edge of fertility technology. The only negative is that they don't bill insurance for you, but they do fill out all the claim forms for you so that you can submit them on your own - it is worth it to get the best treatment!
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Salem was kind, real, and thoughtful. He communicated effectively and we never felt talked down to nor did we feel like he was looking as us as numbers or a bank account. He asked us questions and clearly had looked over our information prior to the appointment.... We had a consult with Dr. Salem in January. We chose to keep trying naturally for a few more months. We will now be going back to begin IUI.
It was very easy to get set up and we were able to get in pretty quickly [at CCRM Minneapolis]. The online set up was a little confusing as there were two different emails with conflicting information, but we got it figured out. The new patient info was easy to fill out online. It was long, but I felt that was good as it helped the doctor personalize our care. Everything else was fine, nothing remarkable either good or bad.
How was your experience with Wael Salem at CCRM Minneapolis?
Ask questions. He is very open and approachable.
We went to Dr. Salem after having a negative experience at another clinic. He was wonderful. He sat down with us to discuss our test results, our lifestyle and habits, and our options. He treated us as individuals and ensured that we were a team making a decision rather than a doctor making a decision for us.
Describe your experience with CCRM Minneapolis.
It was very easy to get set up and we were able to get in pretty quickly. The online set up was a little confusing as there were two different emails with conflicting information, but we got it figured out. The new patient info was easy to fill out online. It was long, but I felt that was good as it helped the doctor personalize our care. Everything else was fine, nothing remarkable either good or bad.
Our consult was around $200. They only work with one insurance company. but they do send you the detailed bill to send into your insurance for reimbursement if your insurance covers it (ours doesn't).
+ Read more- Read less

Wael has a way of speaking to me with empathy and not sympathy. He took the time to not just ask us about our struggles with infertility but also for our plans. ...I would prefer to have a female doctor through my experience for more compassion. But he took the time to get to know me and my partner on a personal level as well as being blunt about some situations which i appreciated in the end.
Clinic [CCRM Mpls] strength will be easy access as well as the amazing online portal that they have set for patients. As well as the parking being at a no cost for patients....The nursing staff greets everyone with a warm smile and even take the time to leave out goodies for patients like coffee and cookies. Weakness would be the waiting time, you're appointment can be at 10:00am and you wont be seen until 10-15min after that
How was your experience with Wael Salem at CCRM Minneapolis?
As a new patient, I saw Wael and thought I would prefer to have a female doctor through my experience for more compassion. But he took the time to get to know me and my partner on a personal level as well as being blunt about some situations which i appreciated in the end. He always greeted us and learned our names quickly to build that trust. His way of speaking would have us focused on our goal but also distract us from now stressing too much as we get there.
One advice is ASK QUESTIONS. He is open to many questions so don't be shy
Wael has a way of speaking to me with empathy and not sympathy. He took the time to not just ask us about our struggles with infertility but also for our plans. And he did try to explain that one way or another, blood related or not, a baby in our home will always see us as Family because we would be raising her/him
Describe your experience with CCRM Minneapolis.
Clinic strength will be easy access as well as the amazing online portal that they have set for patients. As well as the parking being at a no cost for patients. Many places charge for parking and it's ridiculous. Weakness, nothing. Honestly
205 consultation fees, not sure what else.
We are not that far in

1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Salem was very intelligent. He was compassionate and showed empathy for the experiences we had endured. He also discussed considerations that had not previously been discussed with us by our other doctors, such as cytotoxic c-section scars. He is fairly new to the Twin Cities, but does not lack experience or knowledge.
It's very organized. The clinic [CCRM-Minnesota] is modern and bright. There was a lot of paperwork - mostly completed online. Some of it seemed competitive between my husband and I. The website was a little confusing. I thought I had completed everything, but when I arrived at my appointment, I had missed something.... It was about $200 for the initial appointment. I think the cost for using donor eggs from their egg bank was approximately $20,000.
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Wael Salem at CCRM Minneapolis?
Even though he's male and new to the Twin Cities, he is knowledgeable and very compassionate.
Dr. Salem was very compassionate. I was hesitant to see a male for this topic, but he was very knowledgeable.
I have not had a lot of interaction with the nurses, as I am very new in the process with this clinic. Of the nurses I have interacted with, they've all been very kind.
Describe your experience with CCRM Minneapolis.
It's very organized. The clinic is modern and bright. There was a lot of paperwork - mostly completed online. Some of it seemed competitive between my husband and I. The website was a little confusing. I thought I had completed everything, but when I arrived at my appointment, I had missed something.

1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
He [Dr. Wael Salem] told me I didn’t have much time and that if I wanted to try on my own I had to do it fast. He did not tell me why he chose the regimen that he picked for me but I knew I couldn’t have a fresh transfer because I needed a surgery to be able to accept a pregnancy...Multiple times I was told during my visits with him that “he dad to get going he had other patients to see”. In emails to the nurses asking for advise I was told that they talked to him and he said he already discussed that with me.
felt as though I was a number to them [nurses at CCRM Minneapolis]. When is call it would take them hours to days to get back to me. Same with emails...[monitoring] Times were not convenient with my work times...I had to pay up front and when things failed it took a long time to get my money back...It feels like a cold and sterile place. The was no warmth or compassion there...The one strength was the OR staff. They were k credibly kind and compassionate during such an emotional and scary time.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
How was your experience with Wael Salem at CCRM Minneapolis?
Going through this I expected to be able to talk with him if questions arose. I had to pay for another visit if I wanted that. I got charged for phone calls as well. I felt that all they wanted was my money and that I was just another number to them.
Find someone else. Anyone else.
He told me I didn’t have much time and that if I wanted to try on my own I had to do it fast. He did not tell me why he chose the regimen that he picked for me but I knew I couldn’t have a fresh transfer because I needed a surgery to be able to accept a pregnancy.
I again felt as though I was a number to them. When is call it would take them hours to days to get back to me. Same with emails.
Describe your experience with CCRM Minneapolis.
The clinic just wants your money. It feels like a cold and sterile place. The was no warmth or compassion there. I had to pay in advance. When I had no eggs to test or freeze it fools weeks and many calls to get my money back. The one strength was the OR staff. They were k credibly kind and compassionate during such an emotional and scary time.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at CCRM Minneapolis.
Times were not convenient with my work times.
I had to embryos to transfer.