Kaiser Permanente NorCal

Doctor available by emailNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolJohns Hopkins
ResidencyYale
FellowshipUCSF
39141 Civic Center Driv
Fremont, CA 94538
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Wen-Hui Shen to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 67%Don't recommend: 33%7
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kaiser Permanente NorCal to a friend?
Dr. Shen was cold and clinical, which is fine, but frequently gave incorrect information or neglected to tell me details of my treatment all together. Each appoint,met was rushed and short. I often left with more confusion and questions than when I arrived at each appointment due to Dr. Shen's poor communication. She was not receptive to any of my feedback when sharing previous IUI procedures and experiences and was set on her idea of how to proceed with IUI.
How was your experience with Wen-Hui Shen at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wen-Hui Shen at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Be prepared to be treated like a number. Be prepared with thorough questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wen-Hui Shen at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Shen did not acknowledge my personal situation or previous diagnosis(es) when telling me my treatment plan. My treatment plan was not a discussion and was not negotiable, and it felt as if she gave the same treatment plan to everyone who works with her. Dr. Shen only referenced statistics of people in my age range rather than specific treatment goals for someone in my unique situation.
Describe the protocols Wen-Hui Shen used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
I did one IUI using letrozole and HCG trigger shot. Dr. Shen did not explain her rationale for this medication regimen even though I had done this previously without any resulting pregnancy. The IUI I completed with Dr. Shen did not result in a pregnancy or an answer to my years of infertility.
Nursing staff were cold and dismissive, similar to Dr. Shen. When Dr. Shen frequently did not communicate steps or instructions in my IUI procedure, they shrugged it off and said that Dr. Shen frequently forgets to tell patients crucial information. I was never able to reach them by phone and at least half of the messages I left were never returned.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I live in Oakland, so the commute was not ideal for me to Fremont. There is ample parking though so that's good. Staff don't answer phones and I left a message every time I called the office. Staff rarely returned my calls. I was not assigned a nurse or case coordinator so I just had to hope for any of the staff to follow up with me. The lack of communication was abysmal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wen-Hui Shen at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I did not have insurance coverage for my procedure or medications. My HCG shot was around $150.
Describe Wen-Hui Shen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
We did IUI so this is not applicable.
What specific things went wrong at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Fremont
Dr. Shen knew my treated my husband and I like we were long time friends. She always had time to answer questions and we felt like she was personally invested in our success.... She let us make decisions and always offered candid and compassionate advice when we struggled with choices. She was extremely professional and up to date on any new discoveries. Paired with her professionalism was a modesty and humbleness which made working with her easy during a difficult time. I
How was your experience with Wen-Hui Shen at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
We interviewed 4 doctors in total including doctors in Marin and San Francisco. None of them compared to Dr. Shen. She let us make decisions and always offered candid and compassionate advice when we struggled with choices. She was extremely professional and up to date on any new discoveries. Paired with her professionalism was a modesty and humbleness which made working with her easy during a difficult time. I know for a fact that Dr. Shen is the reason I am pregnant now and enjoyed (if that's possible) working with her so much, I considered using her name as our child's middle name!
This process can be so daunting, trust Dr. Shen. She is both professionally knowledgable and down to earth. Choosing her is the one decision we never doubted.
While Dr. Shen was top notch, the rest of the clinic staff had some drawbacks. I was frustrated many times by the procedures and protocols at the clinic. While they were friendly, I didn't find everyone to be as compassionate as they could be, especially considering this line of work. I remember crying on the phone trying to set up an appointment and they had a policy which wouldn't let me. It felt to me the policy was to see as many people as possible, rather than make relationships with the clients they had. Even signing the paperwork and the class on how to do injections was poorly organized and left me feeling unprepared. HINT: I got my medication at the Disco Rex Walgreens in Palo Alto and they gave me a private tutorial on how to do injections. Much better than the nurses at Kaiser.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
You are there to see Dr. Shen. Unfortunately, the rest of the office is not up to her standard! The clinic is functional, not beautiful. It's clean and the lab is right there. This is not a glamorous place, but the job gets done!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Monitoring was done on specific days and in the morning. The lab for blood work was in the next building. We'd do blood work, walk to the clinic, and wait about 20 mins- 1 hour for an ultrasound. Even with an ultrasound appointment. HINT: You can make a lab appointment which they will honor.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
She [Dr Shen] managed my cycle beautifully. I was at risk for OHSS and was still able to do a fresh transfer and I credit a lot of that to how well she managed my response to the meds, which can be very unpredictable. She was very competent and explained everything to us in detail.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Wen-Hui Shen at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
She managed my cycle beautifully. I was at risk for ohss and was still able to do a fresh transfer and I credit a lot of that to how well she managed my response to the meds, which can be very unpredictable. She was very competant and explained everything to us in detail. The office itself is not the best at communicating as you often had to leave messages and get called back and they batch cycle which is frustrating but Dr. shen was amazing and worth the inconvenience for me.
The batching is worth it because it means she handles all aspects of your care. Even routine ultrasounds with her were much better than with other REs I have seen and she was wonderful throughout all our procedures.
She does all monitoring for the cycle herself and was involved in all aspects of our ivf cycle. She listened to us and answered all of our questions when I came in with 4 pages of them and was patient and kind the whole time.
Antagonist protocol, 150 gonalf 75 menopur. I have pcos so we needed the option of a lupron trigger which we used but my ovaries tend to be resistant to stims so we did this higher dose than normal for a pcos patient and stimmed for 12 days.
You see different nurses each time so I didn't have a point person. The communication system was a bit frustrating because it involved leaving messages and getting called back. The nurses during my procedures were wonderful and they all were very compassionate and helpful.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
It is off the kaiser campus in an office building across the street. The receptionist is great and very sweet. The price structure is clear and communicated really well.
10k flat fee for ivf and $1190 for icsi.
Fremont
Dr. Shen is good at what she does. She has years of experience and really cares for her patients. She is intent on a positive outcome. She loves to meet your baby when he/she arrives. I love her for changing my life...She was warm, compassionate and caring, but also very knowledgeable...
How was your experience with Wen-Hui Shen at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Ask lots of questions, be flexible, patient and positive. Do not overthink things and stay away from Doctor Google. Rely on the doctor's advise. Trust her.
She was warm, compassionate and caring, but also very knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Clinic has good staff but it very busy. You must get on the calendar months in advance. It's worth the wait because their success rates are high.
$8,700 for a fresh cycle and $3500 for drugs. If you qualified for ESET and the intital transfer failed, two additional FETs are free.