Harvard Vanguard

Boston
133 Brookline Avenue
Boston, MA 02215
617-421-1000
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Wendy Kuohung to a friend?
Neutral: 50%Don't recommend: 50%7

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Harvard Vanguard to a friend?
My doctor [Dr. Kuohung] recommended transferring all 4 of my embryos which made me slightly nervous, but since none resulted in pregnancy it was likely the right choice. I appreciated her not taking too conservative an approach... was always warm and respectful and took the time to answer my questions and talk with me in an unhurried way. She was always sensitive to the various physical and emotional issues that arose.
How was your experience with Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
Dr Kuohung struck a really good balance between maintaining a positive outlook while acknowledging the realities we faced. One of the things I appreciated most about Dr Kuohung was her willingness to answer all of my questions thoroughly and patiently. At several points throughout treatment, she helped my partner and I to identify the pros and cons of each option, referred to current research, and clarified her explanations for us when we had trouble grasping some of the scientific concepts that were unfamiliar to us. In deciding how many embryos to transfer, she was able to state her recommendation and rationale clearly, and also able to take into account our feelings about each option. I really appreciated her ability to balance her professional expertise with consideration for our opinions and priorities.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
When I began my IVF treatment, I was not familiar with many of the concepts and terms that need to be discussed. Dr kuohung did a very good job explaining much of this to me in an accessible manner, but I was still left feeling that I wanted a better understanding. Once I learned more of the terms I found it easier to understand our conversations. Having a better understanding of the background medical concepts made me feel more able to be an active agent in my treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
Dr. Kuohung was always warm and respectful and took the time to answer my questions and talk with me in an unhurried way. She was always sensitive to the various physical and emotional issues that arose.
Describe the protocols Wendy Kuohung used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I don’t remember the specific stimulation protocol we used but I know we chose it with the assumption that Iould be a poor responder due to my age. I responded well to this protocol and we were able to retrieve far more eggs than expected. After retrieval, Dr Kuohung decided to use a freeze-all protocol since my progesterone levels were high. I did some research on this protocol and leaned that it was considered to be very effective since the freezing technology has improved, specifically for women with high progesterone levels before retrieval.
The nurses were friendly and efficient. The clinic sometimes had an assembly line feel but I really appreciated their efficiency.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic was visually pleasant, nurses were friendly and efficient and I was almost always surprised how quickly they got me through my testing. My experiences there were always pleasant as I could expect. I appreciated the ease of parking as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF.
My treatment for this cycle was covered by insurance.
Describe Wendy Kuohung's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
My doctor recommended transferring all 4 of my embryos which made me slightly nervous, but since none resulted in pregnancy it was likely the right choice. I appreciated her not taking too conservative an approach
Boston IVF
Waltham

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF.

2014 - 2018
[Dr. Kuohung] was candid and professional but she handed off most of her tasks to her nurses. I only saw her to sign consent forms and she only called me to give me results after my cycle failed. However, she was prompt in answering questions over email when I felt that the nurses were not responding to me..The doctor also did not spend time walking me through the protocol. When it failed, she tried to hurry me into starting another cycle. I felt like it was just about generating more sales for them.
2014 - 2018
How was your experience with Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF?
Wendy was candid and professional but she handed off most of her tasks to her nurses. I only saw her to sign consent forms and she only called me to give me results after my cycle failed. However, she was prompt in answering questions over email when I felt that the nurses were not responding to me.
Ask a lot of questions and talk through the regimen with her as sometimes the nurses give mixed responses
I had a great experience the first time around with New England IVF. After Boston IVF acquired them and since I moved, it was more difficult to get answers to my questions. The nurses didn’t spend as much time explaining next steps and I had to ask them to go over all the details with me mid cycle after I felt that I was getting mixed messages. The doctor also did not spend time walking me through the protocol. When it failed, she tried to hurry me into starting another cycle. I felt like it was just about generating more sales for them.
The first cycle was Gonal F and then crinone after the transfer. It resulted in 7 follicles, then 3 embryos, 1 transferred and 2 frozen. I had 1 live birth. A couple years later, only one frozen embryo was viable and transferred. I used progesterone in oil at the time and disliked this regimen. Had I known that I had a choice, I would have picked the crinone but it was not discussed with me. This transfer failed. I went back a year later to start a fresh cycle and was put on follistem and lupron. I was not responding and my dose was doubled mid cycle. They had to freeze my cycle after the retrieval which obtained only 3 follicles. Only 1 follicle moves onto the embryo stage. They waited a few days to freeze it but unfortunately it did not make it.
The first time I did it, was ha nurses at New England IVF walked me through each detail. The second time around Boston IVF did not do any patient education but just told me to watch videos online. I also didn’t know I had a choice between crinone or progesterone otherwise I would have definitely picked the crinone. The third time, the care just got worse. The nurses told me different things and no one got back to me to start the cycle, I had to call and ask them to start. One nurse told me one thing while another told me different so I had to request that they provide me patient education and a treatment plan. When they had to double my dose, one of the nurses was nice enough to put aside samples for me so that I would have enough medication but I felt like I should never have been put in that situation in the first place. They didnt prompt me ahead of time to know what to expect, I had to ask if I knew.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF looks like it was just starting out. It’s office was under construction when I visited and their nurses were not organized at all. I got mixed answers when I called. I had to call to ask them when I could start because no one had gotten back to me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wendy Kuohung at Boston IVF.
We experienced issues with our insurance denying some services because paperwork was filed incorrectly. That caused delays and it made me nervous how much we were going to have to pay. When I needed more medication, I wondered if it was due to the nurses incompetence because it took me a week to get more medicine. I Also ended up paying for medicines which I did not use because my embryo did not make it to transfer. Had I been told what medicines to get when, I would not have gotten them
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Boston IVF