5.6

UMDNJ
Wash U. St. Louis
U. of Maryland

Wendy Schillings works at

RADfertility (FKA Reproductive Associates of Delaware)

Newark
4735 Ogletown-Stanton Road
Newark, DE 19713
Dover
200 Banning Street
Dover, DE 19904

The clinic itself [RMA of Pennsylvania] is visually nice and appears to be clean. It is very small so the wait times seem a bit excessive for monitoring. Also, rather than brochures addressing medical issues, the rooms feature brochures for financing your treatment, which seems a little harsh to me.... Monitoring hours are like a cattle call. You arrive during set hours and wait to be seen. There were mornings where I waiting 2 hours for a simple blood test and ultrasound.
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
When I first started my initial workup and through the early part of my treatment, Dr. Shillings was positive and felt that I was a good candidate. However, part way through treatment, my FSH level shot up wih no explanation. The Nurse Practitioner told me that it could be an anomaly and may not be a “true”:reading. Dr. Shillings, though, suddenly felt like my chances of pregnancy were reduced to 5% and my only option was to use an egg donor. She was very unprofessional in her presentation of this information and continuously told me that I as too old to get pregnant on my own (I’m 38 and had a pregnancy at 36/37). She told me that, at my age, that was “a long time ago” and that my options were very limited. I didn’t like Dr. Shillings from my initial appointment and really didn’t like her by the end.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
Do your research and find a doctor that you are comfortable with.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
Monitoring hours are like a cattle call. You arrive during set hours and wait to be seen. There were mornings where I waiting 2 hours for a simple blood test and ultrasound. If my numbers were good, everyone was positive about my chances. However, if a number was off one month, they acted like they couldn’t help me anymore. Interestingly, my numbers have improved since I stopped going, likely due to reduced stress.
Describe the protocols Wendy Schillings used in your cycles at RMA of Pennsylvania and their degree of success.
Dr.. Shillings tried to talk me into injectable drugs for my IUIs because she thought it would work better (at a cost of over $2,000 v. $200 for Clomid) but we decided to try Clomid first and see how it worked. Clomid ended up working well so we did 50mg for both IUIs and an Ovidrel trigger shot the evening before th first insemination.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania. (Assigned nurse: BJ Witkus)
The nursing staff and front desk representatives were great and were the ones who kept me sane throughout the process. They are all very kind, caring people with good communication skills and kind, compassionate mannerisms. I was very thankful to have them on my team.
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
The clinic itself is visually nice and appears to be clean. It is very small so the wait times seem a bit excessive for monitoring. Also, rather than brochures addressing medical issues, the rooms feature brochures for financing your treatment, which seems a little harsh to me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania.
IUI was $350/insemination, plus drugs (2 inseminations per cycle), blood tests and ultrasounds were covered by my insurance so I paid copays
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Pennsylvania.
My negativity stems from Dr. Shillings’ poor bedside manner and way of presenting information. When I am paying that much money out of pocket for care, I expect to be treated well and, unfortunately, I was not.
Allentown

My nurse, BJ, [at RMA of PA] is the one who made me feel like a number. When she called me, it was clear she hadn't read my chart. She would ask me insensitive questions which are obviously not helpful during such a trying time. My husband and I had to do IVF and she used to call me and explain IUI steps to me. I think I had to tell her on 3 separate occasions that we had to do IVF. Before our last transfer when we had only one embryo left, she called to ask me how many embryos I wanted to transfer. I feel like she needs to read patients charts and understand their situations before she calls. Her questions and behavior are unacceptable.
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
I really like Wendy. I think she's an incredible doctor and I do believe she is a leader in her field. I always had great experiences with her and she put me at ease. Unfortunately I'm not willing to continue with her because the financial and nursing people at her facility bother me too much.
Make sure BJ is not your nurse.
Dr. Schillings wasn't actually the one who made me feel like a number. Every time I spoke with her or met with her, she was nothing but nice and she actually had a way of speaking that made me feel at ease. She always knew what was going on with me even though we didn't see each other often. Also, after my two pregnancy losses, Wendy called me directly because she wanted to be the one to break the news and explain what happened next. My nurse, BJ, is the one who made me feel like a number. When she called me, it was clear she hadn't read my chart. She would ask me insensitive questions which are obviously not helpful during such a trying time. My husband and I had to do IVF and she used to call me and explain IUI steps to me. I think I had to tell her on 3 separate occasions that we had to do IVF. Before our last transfer when we had only one embryo left, she called to ask me how many embryos I wanted to transfer. I feel like she needs to read patients charts and understand their situations before she calls. Her questions and behavior are unacceptable.
She used an estrogen priming protocol. I had to start estrace on day 21 of my cycle leading into stimulation. I took Gonal-F (450 units) as well as low dose HCG and Cetrotide. I was a slow responder to this protocol. I had 5 eggs, 4 fertilized, and 2 made it past genetic screening. This protocol is used for women with signs of ovarian aging.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania. (Assigned nurse: BJ)
BJ always used a friendly tone of voice but she probably didn't realize how insensitive she is. She asked us during our first few weeks about IUI when she shouldn't have know IVF was our only option. LOOK AT THE PATIENT CHART!! She also asked us how many embryos we wanted to transfer when we only had one. These may seem like little things to her but they are not to a patient. These things are totally unacceptable. She also wasn't always very responsive to requests and wasn't the best at answering questions clearly. She didn't give me enough information (like she never gave me actual lab results unless I pressed for them. She would say normal or borderline).
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
I really like the woman who takes your blood in the morning. She was the most compassionate person there. There's also a great ultrasound tech named Nancy who I thought was fantastic. The rest of them need to learn to be a little more compassionate and aware of their patient's needs.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of Pennsylvania.
These were efficient. The woman taking blood and the ultrasound tech are fantastic.
I used insurance. For my retrieval and two transfers, it cost about $15k. The cash price is much higher than that.
Describe Wendy Schillings's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Pennsylvania.
RMA only does single embryo transfers as of 2017.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Pennsylvania.
With my hormone levels, I should have been told to start Co-q-10 and DHEA. No one ever told me that. I read it on my own and started it in preparation for a second egg retrieval. I should have been told that up front. I think doctors have a duty to tell their patients EVERYTHING THEY CAN BE DOING. If a patient thinks a certain supplement or lifestyle change is onerous, they don't have to do it. I feel like RMA didn't give me all the advice they could have prior to my egg retrieval and that may have contributed to my less than stellar results.

2013 - 2016, Successful
[Dr Wendy Schillings has] no bedside manor, which I wouldn't mind so much, but her total lack of communication is really disheartening. After spending a small fortune at her practice, we met with her ONE time and from there never spoke to her again. She doesn't interact with patients in the lobby or hallway and lacks all concern for her patients' setbacks. After our failed fresh transfer I was so appalled that we heard nothing from her directly. We were instructed to make an appointment with her, and when I attempted to do that, she was booked out two months and my frozen cycle would have been starting sooner than a meeting with her.
Strengths: Nursing staff, especially Christine... Weaknesses: Dr. Shillings. She's very unpleasant and a terrible communicator. The other element to this office that may not work for people is that their office is not large enough to accommodate major procedures. Therefore, aside from ultrasounds and IUIs, everything is done at the Basking Ridge, NJ office (about an hour from the RMA of PA office). However, I must say, that office is INCREDIBLE and had I know how amazing they were, I probably would have commuted an hour and just switched to their office completely know
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
Strengths: She has some impressive statistics and her protocols ARE somewhat better compared to other clinics I've researched. Her stats on her website are from 2013, however, so it's a little hard to determine what her current rates are based on the increased patient #'s she has. Weaknesses: No bedside manor, which I wouldn't mind so much, but her total lack of communication is really disheartening. After spending a small fortune at her practice, we met with her ONE time and from there never spoke to her again. She doesn't interact with patients in the lobby or hallway and lacks all concern for her patients' setbacks. After our failed fresh transfer I was so appalled that we heard nothing from her directly. We were instructed to make an appointment with her, and when I attempted to do that, she was booked out two months and my frozen cycle would have been starting sooner than a meeting with her.
1. Don't ever expect to see or talk to her after your consult. 2. Keep expectations very low for communication from her specifically.
I was a patient of RMA for three years and met with Wendy ONE time. She deflected us to her nurses or PAs (thankfully, anyway). After our first negative test after IVF we heard nothing from her, and similarly, heard nothing from her after our positive, either. Furthermore, when we saw her in the office lobby, she never said hello. It was as if she didn't even recognize us.
I took Clomid before our IUI to produce follicles. I was on various injectable medications for my IVF cycle including: low dose HCG, Gonal-F, Ganirellix, and triggered with Pregnyl. For my frozen embryo transfer I was on Estrace (orally) and then Progesterone in oil injections and switched to suppositories of Endometrin after I hit 8 weeks.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania. (Assigned nurse: Tara Markovich )
My nurse Tara was great. She always answered any questions I had and was very understanding when I wanted to clarification as to why a certain medication was being used, etc. The way the office communicates is a little inconvenient as you have to leave voicemails and call backs don't happen right away. They have their own e-mail system as well, so while you CAN e-mail your nurse from your personal e-mail, their replies go to their own network e-mail and you have to log into that to check the messages, which is very inconvenient, especially from a phone. I have to say that one of the nurses named Christine was BY FAR the best. She is a true asset to RMA and I would base a recommendation of why someone should go to RMA is because of Christine. Her main job is to take blood in the morning for monitoring, and she is a breath of fresh air in that place. She is SO sweet, welcoming, and kind.
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
Strengths: Nursing staff, especially Christine! The receptionists are also incredibly nice and one of them went above and beyond for me one time and stayed after they closed so I could come and get a form I needed to take to another doctor office. Weaknesses: Dr. Shillings. She's very unpleasant and a terrible communicator. The other element to this office that may not work for people is that their office is not large enough to accommodate major procedures. Therefore, aside from ultrasounds and IUIs, everything is done at the Basking Ridge, NJ office (about an hour from the RMA of PA office). However, I must say, that office is INCREDIBLE and had I know how amazing they were, I probably would have commuted an hour and just switched to their office completely knowing my retrieval and transfers would have had to be there anyway.
This part of RMA runs VERY efficiently. Morning hours are 7 am to 8:30 am. You usually wait in a short line if you're arriving right at 7, sign in at the front desk on a numbered lined and you are taken back for bloodwork or ultrasounds in the order you signed in. Quick and easy. If I signed in first, I could get bloodwork and a ultrasound done by 7:10 am and be out the door to work.
IUI cycles were $750 each (not including medications) IVF was $14,500 for one fresh cycle (not including medications) 1 frozen embryo transfer was $3,500 (not including medications)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Pennsylvania.
Dr. Shillings referred my husband to a urologist for a male factor issue. They were supposed to send all our of files to that office, and when we got to our appointment (an hour away), the urologist did not have our files. The appointment was wasted because they couldn't do anything for us without having that information, so we needed to reschedule for a month later. Another time, Dr. Shillings refused to call in a prescription for a medication I needed, so I had to call my OB and ask them to do it. Thankfully they did.
2014 - 2016, Successful
I felt as if I was a number because of the sheer volume of patients she [Dr Wendy Schillings] sees on a daily basis. She was very aware that we were not comfortable to go straight to IVF, and wanted to try less invasive procedures first, and said that she was sure Iuis would not work for us and kept pushing to go straight to IVF.
A lot of the problems that I ran into [at RMA of Pennsylvania], involved the weekend, and needing to speak to someone who was familiar with my case. They lack training here for first time stim injections and it can be extremely nerve wracking doing them yourself for the first time.Front desk staff- her name is Diane, and she is super friendly and always professional. She always has a huge smile on her face any time of the day and you can tell she gets to know your name because even before you sign in, she knows it's you! Always very welcoming and calming to see Diane.
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
Dr Schillings is very knowledgeable and sees a wide variety of patients with all different infertility factors. She knows what she is talking about, but can certainly push a couple to pursue options outside of their comfort zone such as going straight to IVF.
To be your own advocate and speak up if you feel something is off. The clinic participates in studies yet they don't make them known to you, you have to speak up and ask multiple times to be included.
I felt as if I was a number because of the sheer volume of patients she sees on a daily basis. She was very aware that we were not comfortable to go straight to IVF, and wanted to try less invasive procedures first, and said that she was sure Iuis would not work for us and kept pushing to go straight to IVF.
I did 2 cycles of chlomid, with an ovidrel trigger, followed by 2 Iuis. Both negative pregnancy tests, and the ovidrel trigger shot induced OHSS. During my IVF cycle, I was on lupron down regulator and birth control. Then my daily stims were gonal f 300 units , lupron, and low dose HCG. After 11 days, I was ready for egg retrieval and they retrieved 15 eggs. I was a freeze all because I was participating in a study and needed to be a freeze all cycle.
BJ was great and prompt at returning calls and emails in a timely manner. I truly felt she was rooting for us! Super amazing phlebotomy department- her name is Christine and she is the best around!
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
I think they need to extend monitoring 7am-9am for a full 2 hours.
IVF stim drugs all cost different depending on your protocol and how long you stim for. Our meds cost around 9,000, and the frozen embryo transfer cost around 4,000
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Pennsylvania.
A lot of the problems that I ran into, involved the weekend, and needing to speak to someone who was familiar with my case. They lack training here for first time stim injections and it can be extremely nerve wracking doing them yourself for the first time.

2011 - 2014, Successful
Wendy [Schillings] is cold and harsh... Wendy cares more about her statistics than patient wishes...She doesn't listen.... The procedures are all done in New Jersey by other doctors in the practice so you actually see very little of her, yet she sits at her desk making decisions lik she's playing God about what your body is and isn't capable of. I am very glad I didn't listen to her about my eggs...(she tried to convince me to use donor eggs which was way out of my price range.)
Good hours. No flexibility. Hard to reach in a crisis. I spilled some meds on a Sunday and they [RMA of PA] sent me all over creation looking for a compounding pharmacy, when it turns out the stuff I needed comes premixed and you get it from a regular pharmacy. The pharmacist was more help than the clinic by far...The nurses provide most of the care, and they do their best to balance her [Dr. Schillings] out...A lot of the treatments and tests were done by a nurse practitioner
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
She doesn't listen. I feel a little bad complaining about her because I had a healthy twin pregnancy, but I felt like that was despite her and not because of her. The procedures are all done in New Jersey by other doctors in the practice so you actually see very little of her, yet she sits at her desk making decisions lik she's playing God about what your body is and isn't capable of. I am very glad I didn't listen to her about my eggs, and went with them anyway (she tried to convince me to use donor eggs which was way out of my price range.)
Be determined to get what you want/need.
Wendy is cold and harsh. The nurses provide most of the care, and they do their best to balance her out. Wendy cares more about her statistics than patient wishes.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania.
A lot of the treatments and tests were done by a nurse practitioner, or was pretty good but seemed to like to make me feel like a stupid child. My nurse wasn't that smart and I had to explain things to her multiple times.
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
Good hours. No flexibility. Hard to reach in a crisis. I spilled some meds on a Sunday and they sent me all over creation looking for a compounding pharmacy, when it turns out the stuff I needed comes premixed and you get it from a regular pharmacy. The pharmacist was more help than the clinic by far.
2014, Unsuccessful
I only saw her [Dr. Schillings] for the initial consultation which made me feel very unimportant...She spoke about my options but did not give me a feeling of faith that it would work. She seemed to push ivf. And just the fact that I only saw her for the consultation did not feel cared for by her...If you're doing ivf she's probably the doctor that specializes but don't expect to see her or get that warm fuzzy feeling...
It was a spa like atmosphere [at RMA of PA]. Quite relaxing and the front desk staff were great. Know you by name...They were very friendly and caring. They definitely made the experience bearable...Just did the usual ultrasound and blood work. Then clomid 50 mg with IUI sperm donor. And same with 2nd with no success. Was told after best to do ivf...
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
I only saw her for the initial consultation which made me feel very unimportant
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Pennsylvania.
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
It was a spa like atmosphere. Quite relaxing and the front desk staff were great. Know you by name
Allentown

She [Dr. Wendy Schillings] had absolutely 0 bedside manner, and I felt like she didn’t even read through my history...She rolled her eyes a number of times while reviewing health information such as prescriptions. She humiliated me in a room full of 5 other people while performing an internal ultrasound. I left that appointment and cried the entire 1 hour and 45 minute drive home. I was so mortified that I didn’t even want to call them and let them know I’d be discontinuing care with them for I was afraid of getting judged even more. She even made recommendations that were completely out of her scope of practice. I would not recommend her to anyone
The nursing staff [at RMA of Pennsylvania] was really nice and even the student under Dr Schillings was wonderful...She had no bedside manner whatsoever. She was rude and judge mental on top of it. She rolled her eyes a number of times while reviewing health information such as prescriptions. She humiliated me in a room full of 5 other people while performing an internal ultrasound. I left that appointment and cried the entire 1 hour and 45 minute drive home. I was so mortified that I didn’t even want to call them and let them know I’d be discontinuing care with them for I was afraid of getting judged even more. She even made recommendations that were completely out of her scope of practice. I would not recommend her to anyoneHer as a doctor seemed to only be concerned with her success rate. Everyone but her was pleasant. The atmosphere at the clinic was calm and comforting also...
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
Find another doctor that is concerned with you as a patient more than success rates
She had absolutely 0 bedside manner, and I felt like she didn’t even read through my history
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
The nursing staff was really nice and even the student under Dr Schillings was wonderful. Her as a doctor seemed to only be concerned with her success rate. Everyone but her was pleasant. The atmosphere at the clinic was calm and comforting also