6.3

Brown

Wendy Vitek works at

601 Elmwood Ave
Rochester, NY 14642

Dr. Vitek is very hard to get a hold of, and even in our last meeting, she said "I'm sorry that my availability impacted your care." She also said that my use of MyChart was driving the staff crazy and making it hard for them to be on my team, but no one was calling me back. She also blamed a lot of the issues we were having on my anxiety... She suggested that I have a saline ultrasound which showed nothing
Currently, I feel like a number at this clinic [Strong Fertility Center]. They don't like too many questions, and are hard to get a hold of, so I tend to have to MyChart, but then I was told they don't like this either, so I guess we're just supposed to accept whatever is told without questioning....I've had drugs not called in and very often the clinic forgot that I have insurance and would call the medications into the wrong place.
How was your experience with Wendy Vitek at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Vitek is very hard to get a hold of, and even in our last meeting, she said "I'm sorry that my availability impacted your care." She also said that my use of MyChart was driving the staff crazy and making it hard for them to be on my team, but no one was calling me back. She also blamed a lot of the issues we were having on my anxiety, which I never experienced with my other doctor. Overall, I feel like maybe she would be best behind the scenes, and not taking on direct patients, just doing research
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wendy Vitek at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
She is too busy to take you on as a patient, but you won't be told that until after a failed cycle when you have barely been able to get a hold of her the whole time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wendy Vitek at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Vitek made it very clear that she is in research and clinic, so only 1/2 of her time is meant to be with the clinic. It was very difficult to get a hold of her.
Describe the protocols Wendy Vitek used in your cycles at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) and their degree of success.
She suggested that I have a saline ultrasound which showed nothing (but I still 100% agree with this, as if there was something going on, we would have caught it), then she had me do a "natural cycle" that included 5ish days of gonal and then ovidrel and pio shots. I really wish that, after 2 failed transfers, that she would have said that I needed to have an ERA, she only mentioned it in passing in our discussion.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The nurses seem to most often call at the end of the day (I know that this is because they are busy, but maybe the clinic should look at staffing for this), if you miss a call, you're forced to respond via MyChart.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Currently, I feel like a number at this clinic. They don't like too many questions, and are hard to get a hold of, so I tend to have to MyChart, but then I was told they don't like this either, so I guess we're just supposed to accept whatever is told without questioning.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wendy Vitek at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Insurance covers some and I still have not seen all of my bills, so I cannot accurately assess this.
Describe Wendy Vitek's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
I wish she had said we needed to do an ERA before transferring 2 more embryos after two failed singleton attempts.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Treated 2017 - 2018
Wendy [Dr. Vitek] was not present often She did not perform procedures She did not get back to me with answers to questions I may have had. Nursing staff did a better job. Wendy did not seem to care whether I had a positive result or not She did not talk to me about anything or health plans or anything.... In the course of the couple years I was her patient I may have saw her a handful of times
The nursing staff [at Strong Fertility Center] is okay: no one goes above or beyond for you at this office. You are just a number here.... I advice another office. The team here does not seem to take patients seriously. The team was quick to cut ties when I mentioned getting a second opinion. I poured my heart and soul into this office believing in my heart the individuals here could help me. Instead I felt alienated and discriminated against. felt utterly unimportant
Wendy was not present often She did not perform procedures She did not get back to me with answers to questions I may have had. Nursing staff did a better job. Wendy did not seem to care whether I had a positive result or not She did not talk to me about anything or health plans or anything.
Seek out a different doctor
I barely saw Wendy, someone else and her bedside manner was not great when I did see her. In the course of the couple years I was her patient I may have saw her a handful of times
Clomid 50mg Day 5-9 One ovidrel injection Iui Negative 50mg clomid One ovidrel injection Iui Negative 100mg clomid One ovidrel injection No pregnancy No pregnancy. Never received diagnosis of PCOS until switching doctors office.
The nursing staff is okay: no one goes above or beyond for you at this office. You are just a number here.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The office drained my hra account and I still paid out of pocket. They also refused the completion of my 4th cycle half way through (Because they said my insurance had no Coverage for me.. after 3 precious cycles- because I am in a same sex marriage) I was forced to stop and still charged for the monitoring. I also was diagnosed with infertility and recurrent pregnancy loss years before marrying my wife.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Everything about this clinic was wrong. My first time going there, they didn’t know I was there for an IUI. My second time - (second IUI) the woman who did it.. told me my cervix was hiding and she has to “coax it out” and took the “ hook”tool and pulled at my cervix because she couldn’t find it... I have since asked other doctors and .. my cerfix is fine!!! How embarrassing

Treated 2013 - 2014
She [Dr. Wendy Vitek] had a good beside manner and was very knowledgable but I never interacted enough to really get the feel like she cared about me as her patient. I felt like just another number and don't feel that she really spent much time on my case...I only saw Dr Vitek at my initial consultation and then the consultation after my miscarriage. She was not present at any of the dozens of monitoring appointments or IUIs. The nurses were nice but never looked at my case as more than just another appointment to get through. I felt like they were just following some sort of normal protocol instead of really looking at my case and making adjustments that were tailored to me.
She had a good beside manner and was very knowledgable but I never interacted enough to really get the feel like she cared about me as her patient. I felt like just another number and don't feel that she really spent much time on my case.
Go somewhere else
We started with a non-medicated IUI - negative. Then we went to clomid for the next IUI - negative. Then we did higher doses of clomid for three more cycles - negative. My body was responding well to the drugs but I just was not getting pregnant. Then we tried letrozol and got a positive but I had a miscarriage of twins at 8 weeks. We tried Letrozol again and got a negative. Then Clomid again and got a negative and then I moved on to a new clinic and got pregnant off my first IVF.
They were all very lovely but couldn't speak much on my case without consulting the doctor so I didn't get very far with them.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
They need to treat each case individually with its own course of action and not follow some general protocol and just "wait and see". You will need to be your own medical advocate since no one at this clinic will be.
I paid for sperm out of pocket. I paid for the monitoring, IUIs and medications through my insurance so I only paid copays.
Treated 2016
She [Dr. Vitek] listened, but didn’t explain much. I didn’t know how frequently I would be going in for tests or scans. She never suggested I might have endometriosis, which I did. A LOT of endometriosis. No e of the treatments i tried with her ever had a chance of working without endometriosis excision.... First and second d cycle: monitoring, no drugs, timed intercourse. Third cycle: monitoring, injectables, timed intercourse.
[Strong Fertility Center- U of Rochester] Lost paperwork. Didn’t call in Rx. When is call to ask a question, no one knew what was going on. It could take 2 days to get a call back.... Didn’t return phone calls. Forgot to call in scripts. When I changed RE clinics, I had to request THREE TIMES for them to transfer the files, and then they sent only 1/10th of the information, so I had to request AGAIN.... Didn’t explain what to expect. Didn’t update me on percentage success rate of each treatment, when new information was found.
She listened, but didn’t explain much. I didn’t know how frequently I would be going in for tests or scans. She never suggested I might have endometriosis, which I did. A LOT of endometriosis. No e of the treatments i tried with her ever had a chance of working without endometriosis excision. I wasted 3 cycles and $3000 for treatment which never could have resulted in pregnancy due to endometriosis.
Ask who, what, where, when, why, and how for every single thing, and write everything down, including who you talked to, when, and what they said.
Personable
Disaster. List records. Didn’t return phone calls. Forgot to call in scripts. When I changed RE clinics, I had to request THREE TIMES for them to transfer the files, and then they sent only 1/10th of the information, so I had to request AGAIN.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Didn’t explain what to expect. Didn’t update me on percentage success rate of each treatment, when new information was found. Not nearly aggressive enough in treatment. Missed glaringly obvious medical problems.