Available by cell phone
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
Traverse City
1200 6th Street
Traverse City, MI 49684
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend William Dodds to a friend?

5.2

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend The Fertility Center of Michigan to a friend?
2019 - 2020
Dr. Dodds always addresses me by my first name throughout our conversations and looks me in the eyes whenever he is speaking to me. This makes me feel as though he is engaged in the conversation and not just going through the motions. He consistently explains everything fully and answers my questions until I am satisfied with the responses. He is always sympathetic when I return for treatment, and he genuinely seems to want me to have a successful pregnancy. I really feel as if he has a vested interest in me as a person and a future parent.
I saw ~6 nurses over the course of my 4 IUIs [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]. Most of the nurses were both knowledgeable and had a caring bedside manner. However, there were 1-2 nurses that were unable to answer my questions (and would not admit that they did not know the answer) and had more of an abrupt manner...Each IUI was ~$250...A lot of the individual treatment information is provided either verbally or in hand-written notes rather than prescribed packets or post-visit documentation tied to your patient account (that you can access as a patient). This can make your treatment confusing after you leave the clinic, although nurses are always happy to clarify if you call. The second downside to this clinic is their limited hours. If you need treatment information over the weekend, you must call their emergency line, and they may not respond until Monday (holidays are even worse). In addition, if yo
2019 - 2020
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodds is very caring and experienced. He founded the clinic, and I believe he has been a reproductive endocrinologist for approximately 30 years. In addition, he specializes in PCOS, my fertility issue. Therefore, I have a great deal of confidence in his ability to maximize my potential to be a parent. The only negative comment I have about Dr. Dodds is that I think is so knowledgeable that he sometimes forgets that I (as a patient) am not. He is always happy to clarify any confusion, but the first time he explains something, it is not always clear (e.g., certain details are missing or he mentions a term we had not previously discussed).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
If you have any questions or need clarification, please ask. Dr. Dodds wants to ensure all his patients have a clear understanding of their treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the protocols William Dodds used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
I did 4 IUI cycles. 3 were with Femara (5 mg for 5 days) and Estrace (vaginally) because of a thin uterine lining on ultrasound. Estrace was taken before and after IUI. For one of the cycles, I did a stepwise Femara cycle, as the first 5 days did not produce mature follicles. This resulted in the production of mature follicles after the stepwise administration. For the 4th IUI, I took Femara (5 mg for 5 days) and Gonal-F (75 IU) injections prior to IUI. For all IUIs, I did an Ovidrel injection 48 hours prior to the IUI.
I saw ~6 nurses over the course of my 4 IUIs. Most of the nurses were both knowledgeable and had a caring bedside manner. However, there were 1-2 nurses that were unable to answer my questions (and would not admit that they did not know the answer) and had more of an abrupt manner.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic has a long history and many patients, so I feel that overall, this facility has the collective experience and knowledge that makes me confident in obtaining a positive treatment outcome. However, there are aspects of this center that are quite unorganized. A lot of the individual treatment information is provided either verbally or in hand-written notes rather than prescribed packets or post-visit documentation tied to your patient account (that you can access as a patient). This can make your treatment confusing after you leave the clinic, although nurses are always happy to clarify if you call. The second downside to this clinic is their limited hours. If you need treatment information over the weekend, you must call their emergency line, and they may not respond until Monday (holidays are even worse). In addition, if you have a full-time job, you should be prepared to miss work, as all treatments are done during the business day (8:30AM-3:30PM only). Finally, the billing department is incredibly disorganized, so you should be prepared to essentially keep meticulous track of your own financial accounting.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Each IUI was ~$250.
Grand Rapids

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan.

3 IVF, Surrogacy
Male Factor, Other
[Dr. William Dodds] Updated me every step of the way. Even called me after egg retrievals to go over things and give me his opinion even after business hours...I believe he is a very compassionate caring doctor. Very knowledgeable and truely cares. Will do what is best for the pt and he listens to what you have to say. Will come to a conclusion that works for everyone involved...On the first round we only ended up with 1 frozen embryo. So with the second and third round we did the same dosage of Menopur decreased the Gonal F and grew the follicles bigger due to the fact I had a more immature eggs duing the first round.
The office staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] are very nice and helpful. They all are very compassionate and willing to listen and help you out. They began to know you by name. I think it would be nice to see the same physician when they are adjusting med dosages but besides that they do a wonderful job...Loved Robin [nurse] very informative and helpful. Could call her for anything When she would get back with you in a timely manner.
3 IVF, Surrogacy
Male Factor, Other
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He is great. And easy to talk to. Do not be afraid to ask questions or tell him how you really feel about something.
He always talked to me. Updated me every step of the way. Even called me after egg retrievals to go over things and give me his opinion even after business hours.
I used Menopur 75,Gonal F, (do not rememberdose)and added cetrotide and then a trigger shot. On the first round we only ended up with 1 frozen embryo. So with the second and third round we did the same dosage of Menopur decreased the Gonal F and grew the follicles bigger due to the fact I had a more immature eggs duing the first round. The first round 5 retrieved 1 frozen. Second round 7 retrieved 3 frozen. Third round 14 retrieved 10 frozen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Robin s)
Loved Robin very informative and helpful. Could call her for anything When she would get back with you in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The office staff are very nice and helpful. They all are very compassionate and willing to listen and help you out. They began to know you by name. I think it would be nice to see the same physician when they are adjusting med dosages but besides that they do a wonderful job.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Monitoring was always done in the morning so if medications needed to be changed they would call you in the afternoon to let you know. It went like a well oiled machine in my book.
Well we are around 24,000 which includes 3 rounds of IVF, monitoring, medications, and some of our gestational carriers things are paid for.
Describe William Dodds's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
No he said it was up to me and my gestational carrier.

Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
He [Dr. William Dodds] had us try clomid for 6 rounds. unsuccessful. we then trying to set my body my body up for ivf, where my body did not respond to the drugs . this is when we found out that the D&C damaged uterus lining. he did everything to make sure we could have our family. he performed a surgery to attempt to restore my lining . unsuccessful...[Dr. Dodds] is caring . Explains plans in details. Answers all our questions. calls us back if we have questions. knows who we are
Everyone one at the clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is patient, compassionate and understanding. No matter how many times you call or email, they are happy to assist you with their knowledge...Egg Donor process was slow moving . they had us wait months for a certain nurse, who did not end up being there for our initial appointment. I like the clinic because they never are frustrated with things. they are completely understanding and show empathy every phone call, email, or visit.
Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr Dodds I did recommend to my best experiencing infertility. Reason is that he is knowledgeable and can run several test that may determine a solution. He always makes sure we fully understand the steps in the plan and what are options are .
This process is overwhelming . Your head is foggy with anxiety , sadness and negativity. Before you go to the appointment, write down your goals and questions
Dr Dodds is caring . Explains plans in details. Answers all our questions. calls us back if we have questions. knows who we are
when we first met Dr Dodds, I had miscarried three times. he understood getting pregnant was not an issue for us , but staying pregnant was . He had us try clomid for 6 rounds. unsuccessful. we then trying to set my body my body up for ivf, where my body did not respond to the drugs . this is when we found out that the D&C damaged uterus lining. he did everything to make sure we could have our family. he performed a surgery to attempt to restore my lining . unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Robin Strouse)
Everyone one at the clinic is patient, compassionate and understanding. No matter how many times you call or email, they are happy to assist you with their knowledge
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I think that being drugs for me, ultrsounds, tests, consultations,egg donor. We are well over 50k

2017 - 2019
I felt really good about our first consult in 2017. We had a solid treatment plan/ path established....we decided to re-consult. I felt like Dr Dodds didn't take any time to review my chart prior to coming in the room. He waffled on the recommended treatment course, at first recommending up to 4 more cycles of IUI. As we talked further, he backtracked and decided that IVF was what he was going to recommend. I felt like I had to steer the conversation, as he was saying things that weren't applicable to me
All of the nursing staff [Fertility Center of Michigan] has been beyond friendly and sympathetic!... I believe the clinic overall is a solid one. I believe they have very fair prices, but I do wish they would look into Invocell IVF. This would give people like myself a chance at IVF due to the lower cost.... Each round of IUI ended up being around $800. IVF is expected to cost around $10,000 plus meds, anesthesia, etc.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Strengths-I do believe he truly wants to help his patients achieve the end goal of bringing home a baby Weakness-I believe he is a very busy man and I didn't feel as supported by him as I would have liked. I think he focuses the majority of his support on IVF patients
Speak up about your wants and if something doesn't sound right or applicable to your case
I felt really good about our first consult in 2017. We had a solid treatment plan/ path established. We did 2 rounds of IUI, with the second ending in a miscarriage/ possible ectopic. We then took a break. Fast forward to 2019, we decided to re-consult. I felt like Dr Dodds didn't take any time to review my chart prior to coming in the room. He waffled on the recommended treatment course, at first recommending up to 4 more cycles of IUI. As we talked further, he backtracked and decided that IVF was what he was going to recommend. I felt like I had to steer the conversation, as he was saying things that weren't applicable to me or were untrue.
We did 2 rounds of IUI with femara and Ovidrel. The rationale was that due to my husband's lower sperm count and motility, having more eggs and putting the sperm closer to them would increase the chance of pregnancy. I had one negative cycle and one pregnancy that ended in a miscarriage/ possible ectopic
All of the nursing staff has been beyond friendly and sympathetic!
N/A we did not do IVF

2017 - 2019
Dr. Dodds made me feel very comfortable and confident with his treatment plan. He told me all of the details and made me hopeful. The only thing that I wish could have done differently is that he would have suggested the hsg test before I started the Femara.... I had an ultrasound done and Dr. Dodds could tell that I had pcos. Because of the multiple cysts on my ovaries and infertility as well as some other symptoms he was confident
The strengths they [Fertility Center of Michigan] have are fast scheduling, prompt return calls, so caring and knowledgeable, great at explaining the next step. They have multiple doctors that you can see if your doctor isn't available and they are all great! When you call with questions they call you back within the hour and always answer all of your questions.... The nursing staff has been incredible! They make me feel comfortable and are genuinely concerned
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Ask every question you can think of! There are no stupid questions!
He took the time to answer all of my questions and to explain the diagnosis of PCOS. He gave me hope with the treatment plan he decided and explained to me!
I had an ultrasound done and Dr. Dodds could tell that I had pcos. Because of the multiple cysts on my ovaries and infertility as well as some other symptoms he was confident with the diagnosis. He started me on Femara 5 mg for the first cycle. It worked but the second cycle we decided to add the trigger shot to take out the guess work of when I ovulate. Now this third cycle because I only had one follicle the previous two we increased my dosage to 7.5 of Femara with the trigger shot. I had one large follicle again. I have a consultation scheduled in a couple weeks if I am not pregnant to go over the next options.
The nursing staff has been incredible! They make me feel comfortable and are genuinely concerned and so caring every time I call or come in for my appointments. They make the visits each month as enjoyable as they can be.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The strengths they have are fast scheduling, prompt return calls, so caring and knowledgeable, great at explaining the next step. They have multiple doctors that you can see if your doctor isn't available and they are all great! When you call with questions they call you back within the hour and always answer all of your questions. I can't really think of any weaknesses at this point.
I paid everything out of pocket. Consultation $250. Ultrasound $200 Nurse consultation $75

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Dodds wants to try two cycles of hybrid medications with IUI to increase my chances of conceiving. I will be using Femara 5.0, and Gonal F at 450iu at 75iu per injection for a few days days, and a trigger shot of Ovidrel at 250 mcg/.5 ml He also gave me the success rates for all of the options that he gave me (such as, I could try Laproscopic surgery to check for endo but it would only increase my chances of conceiving by about 20%, or I could do the hybrid and IUI which on average 60% conceive within 3 cycles, or IVF which is a 60% change on the first try no matter if I have endo or anything else, with the added bonus of having egg retrieval and FET at the age of 32 instead of later in life, especially with my low ovarian reserve.
it is a nice sized clinic [The Fertility Center of MI-Kalamazoo] but it is kind of like a satellite clinic, they can do consultations,ultrasounds etc. there but for anything else you might need or want done ( IUI, HSG, IVF) you have to go to Grand Rapids to do. Which at times can make for time constraints especially for work hours. The clinic is also only open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (which isn't a problem for me but I could see it causing issues for some people depending on their work schedule or commute time)
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodds was very well spoken and personable, he told me the findings of my blood work and what was normal or abnormal and what he thought we needed to work on. He have me several different options as to what my next steps should be, but also rated them as what he would "suggest if I were his own child" . He made it very clear that he wanted to get me to what my husband and my goal of having a child in the most cost effective and healthy way possible.
He is very open and will explain anything that you want/need.
Dr. Dodds took the time to look at my information and decide what he thought was the best for me, he was caring but also to the point. He seemed sincere and concerned for my best interest in all aspects.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Everyone was very sensitive and supportive, every time I go into the clinic I feel at ease and supported, everyone is very sensitive to the situation and you feel like they are all rooting for you to win
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
it is a nice sized clinic, but it is kind of like a satellite clinic, they can do consultations,ultrasounds etc. there but for anything else you might need or want done ( IUI, HSG, IVF) you have to go to Grand Rapids to do. Which at times can make for time constraints especially for work hours. The clinic is also only open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (which isn't a problem for me but I could see it causing issues for some people depending on their work schedule or commute time)
with no insurance coverage, my consultation was around $240, ultrasound runs around $275, medication costs Femara $6, Ovidrel $100 Gonal-F $450, Initial consultation was $375, Blood work all together was around $600
Kalamazoo

Upon meeting Dr. Dodds, he quickly explained to me that I had two options due to my age (39y.o.) ... He would have kept running the same thing over and over, even though we got no better results each time. ... No pregnancies resulted from all 4 IUIs I had done. ... He in no way was interested in discovering why we are unable to conceive. ...
Weaknesses: staff [The Fertility Ctr of MI] is not friendly, or welcoming. You are shuffled room to room for procedures and consults. No continuity in staff throughout a week let alone a cycle. ... It was obvious I had been crying. The staff checking me out, starting asking me about my bill, and a discrepancy with my insurance. ... It was a frustrating, confusing, stressful, and impersonal experience with the staff overall.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Upon meeting Dr. Dodds, he quickly explained to me that I had two options due to my age (39y.o.): 1) The "European method". He explained this as "...if you want a baby ASAP, I can get you one using IVF. I call it the European method because it's cheaper and used more often in Europe. It's like the deluxe package". Or we could go the 2). Conservative route. Which would be try more medicated cycles and then IUIs and see what we could get to happen. But that we had maybe a 15-30% chance of ever conceiving this way. I was, and still am, diagnosed as Unexplained Infertility. I do not have PCOS, endometriosis, or diminished ovarian reserve, I ovulate regularly, am healthy, and all tests have come back in good range. I believe the only reason he said IVF was my best option is my age. He in no way was interested in discovering why we are unable to conceive. At one time he used the phrase "Well it's a good thing that's how the good Lord made you!" when discussing female reproductive anatomy. He commented on how "great" my husband's sperm analysis was several times. He called him an "overachiever". I left feeling hopeless, pressured to spend anywhere from $10-25,000 for IVF with them, and that my body was a complete failure. I never met with him in person again. I went through 4 IUI cycles in which he supposedly read the monitoring reports and made recommendations. It took me changing Drs to get a new protocol. He would have kept running the same thing over and over, even though we got no better results each time.
Go in confident. Do not let him pressure you to make decisions. Ask questions, and ask them again. Ask that you see him in person once in awhile to check in. Ask if he personally is monitoring your cycle. I doubt he will, but I wish I had demanded it more.
The entire office is impersonal, and you can see a different nurse, tech, or doctor each time. There is little to no consistency nor connection with your primary doctor. You are called through the same process each visit and can see others doing the same. I felt like cattle being processed for ultrasounds and IUIs. I was rarely referred to by name. Doctors who had performed IUIs on me, did not remember me from cycle to cycle. I once walked into the wrong consult room (down a long hallway, all doors look the same) and Dr. Dodds welcomed me in and asked me to sit down. He was in fact waiting for a different patient. He was not my Dr. that day, didn't recognize me, (note: he is considered my PRIMARY Dr. and has met me in-person) nor, apparently, the patient he was supposed to be waiting for. I excused myself and went to the Dr. I was seeing that day.
My first medicated cycle, he had me do 100mg of Clomid days 3-7. I produced 6-8 mature follicles. They recommended we switch to timed intercourse rather than IUI to avoid multiples. Then, I used 50 and 100 mg of Clomid days 3-7 (alternating days), with transvaginal monitoring on Day 1, and then closer to ovulation. We hoped to get 3-5 follicles of good size. I produced these each time, with some of them getting to a very large size---38mm was my largest. Ovidril was used to trigger ovulation and IUI was performed around 24-36 hrs later. I used progesterone the day following and for the next 14 days. I was not told that progesterone could stop my period from coming and I needed to stop after a negative test in order to allow myself to bleed. This lead to quite a bit of disappointment and heartache right off the bat. By the time we came to IUI #3, my lining was severely thinning due to the Clomid. I then started using estradiol to help build my lining. No pregnancies resulted from all 4 IUIs I had done.
A new person every time. The ultrasound techs were aloof and impersonal. They seemed upset to be there. The nursing staff would make recommendations or changes in the protocol which were in direct contradiction to the original protocol. I never felt confident when they told me to change the protocol b/c they did not seem sure or confident when I questioned why we were changing. It was a frustrating, confusing, stressful, and impersonal experience with the staff overall.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Weaknesses: staff is not friendly, or welcoming. You are shuffled room to room for procedures and consults. No continuity in staff throughout a week let alone a cycle. I was crying with frustration in a consultation room once. I go myself back together and went to check out. It was obvious I had been crying. The staff checking me out, starting asking me about my bill, and a discrepancy with my insurance. I had fulfilled my deductible. She continued to ask for payment for services that were coming back as "going to deductible". I understand business, and this is one, but I was very obviously upset and it was not an appropriate time to ask for these things. This is still a very emotional journey.
With medications, consults, 4 IUIs, etc. about $7,000. A 10 min conversation with the Dr following my ultrasound would cost me about $150 each time. Ultrasound: $120 ea. IUI: $1200 +.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Among many other things: I had to call in for over a week to get them to call my specialty pharmacy for a prescription that was time-sensitive. I finally left a pleading message which led them to call. I was left at the blood lab at 8 in the morning without my stat lab order being called in in the appropriate time. I had to call repeatedly for 30 min to get them to call the order in so that I could get my blood drawn, get the recommendation for the injectible meds that afternoon, and get to work on time. I had to call off and on for 2 1/2 weeks to get my records sent to my new choice in fertility clinic (CNY Fertility; $3900 IVF. They are also groundbreaking and amazing) ahead of my consult (I requested this 1 1/2 months in advance). I hope to never have to utilize them ever again. Ever.

2014 - 2019
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
He [Dr. Dodds] is very friendly and compassionate. Blunt but not too blunt. Good bedside manner. We haven’t gotten the results we have been hoping for yet but he is always very understanding and always adjusting my plan and listening to my needs/wants. ... Sometimes I feel like he is stretched thin and in a hurry but other times he really takes his time.
They [The Fertility Center of Michigan] are very organized and friendly. Sometimes they run behind on time but then there are days where I am in and out in a timely manner. They always are on the same page as the doctor. A weakness is sometimes I have to call and ask certain things before they get the chance to call me. I’m sure they’re busy though. ... The only issue was my ERA test-the scheduling staff kept wanting to change it to a different day and time not knowing that it is a time sensitive test and didn’t to be done exactly when the nurse sugguested.
2014 - 2019
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He is very friendly and compassionate. Blunt but not too blunt. Good bedside manner. We haven’t gotten the results we have been hoping for yet but he is always very understanding and always adjusting my plan and listening to my needs/wants.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and tell him what you would prefer/want-he is good at listening to your preferences and then adding in his professional advice.
At first I could tell he didn’t remember me or my husband but then as we continued to go there he now remembers us and it very friendly. Sometimes I feel like he is stretched thin and in a hurry but other times he really takes his time.
Nursing staff is amazing, always so helpful and never make you feel stupid or crazy for your questions or concerns. Always called with results in a timely manner and showed compassion.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are very organized and friendly. Sometimes they run behind on time but then there are days where I am in and out in a timely manner. They always are on the same page as the doctor. A weakness is sometimes I have to call and ask certain things before they get the chance to call me. I’m sure they’re busy though.
They were always in the morning and usually very quick. It worked for me because of my drive and then I just went to work afterwards.
Retrieval with transferring 5 day embryo with ICSI and embryo glue was roughly $10,000. My meds were around $3,000 and my montoring was roughly $2,500
We wanted to transfer 2 and he was okay with that, he never questioned it but I think it was because he knew I had poor egg quality and wanted to better our chances.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
The only issue was my ERA test-the scheduling staff kept wanting to change it to a different day and time not knowing that it is a time sensitive test and didn’t to be done exactly when the nurse sugguested. I feel like for scheduling staff that they should definently know that. Thankfully I knew it was time sensitive and stood my ground.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Dodd’s is a great person and doctor. He doesn’t rush through the appointment and thoroughly answers each question with years of experience clearly behind each thoughtful answer. He is understanding that this is a difficult and sensitive time for patients...I had tried clomid prior to seeing Dr. Dodd, and he explained that IN femara studies it have been shown to work better than clomid for pcos which I have. We tried femara twice which I ovulated with based on occupations tests and a progesterone level.
Nurses [The Fertility Ctr of Michigan] kind and compassionate, with you every step of the way. Detailed in keeping you updated on the plan and details for each new cycle. Staff communicate well with each other and with me.... They met me after each of my appointments to go over the next plan and future appointments which was appreciated. They were efficient at calling me back the same day, and working to make sure they retrieved any labs taken outside of the clinic.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodd’s is a great person and doctor. He doesn’t rush through the appointment and thoroughly answers each question with years of experience clearly behind each thoughtful answer. He is understanding that this is a difficult and sensitive time for patients, especially the woman. He is kind and detailed, with every script and note written, never missing one single fact. At the first appointment we talked about our personal lives, careers, and families including both his own and ours - which set the tone for each future appointment, making it feel like we were just meeting with a friend. We also met in casual settings that didn’t feel like a “doctor’s office” which contributed to our comfort. He is clearly close with his staff, which helped us trust him and all the staff at the fertility clinic, knowing they were a team all together supporting us.
Great doctor- he has perfect bedside Manner and is excellent at his profession.
My calls were answered quickly, my questions were taken seriously and given thorough answers, the processes were explained in great detail as well as printed out, the staff grieved with me with each negative pregnancy test, they also helped me find the cheapest pharmacy to get medications by cash. I also had a nurse meet with me at the end of each ultrasound/consultation to go over the plan and next steps.
I had tried clomid prior to seeing Dr. Dodd, and he explained that IN femara studies it have been shown to work better than clomid for pcos which I have. We tried femara twice which I ovulated with based on occupations tests and a progesterone level. On the second round I didn’t get a positive ovulation test so I added ovidrel in the third and fourth cycles to ensure good ovulation. On the third and fourth cycles we did a mid cycles ultrasound Which showed that my uterine lining was getting smaller, and on the fourth round, which I had increased the dose of femara on, I was still only getting one follicle, so we have decided to move on to injectable with ovidrel and IUI which I am doing now. He explained that injectables will stimulate more eggs and thus increase chances of pregnancy. He also said iui doesn’t increase your chances by much, but we still wanted to try this during these injectable cycles as we will do 3 of them and then move to IVF.
They met me after each of my appointments to go over the next plan and future appointments which was appreciated. They were efficient at calling me back the same day, and working to make sure they retrieved any labs taken outside of the clinic. They were kind and compassionate and I appreciated them greatly at critical moments during my treatments.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Thorough and understanding doctors with lots of experience. Nurses kind and compassionate, with you every step of the way. Detailed in keeping you updated on the plan and details for each new cycle. Staff communicate well with each other and with me.
$300 for each ultrasound - which were multiple in some cycles. $600 -iui. $500 - first months dose of gonal f. $50 - femara. $50- metformin.
Dr. Dodd’s suggested a 2 embryo transfer as that will increase our chances of success, with a reasonable chance of a multiple pregnancy. Also is it obviously a very expensive procedure, so that is to be considered.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
At my first appointment, dr Dodd’s put ovidrel in his office note but we hadn’t discussed it and it was prescribed. It worked out as I was going to start it anyway.

2016 - 2019
Dr. Dodd’s comes in the room shaking your hand always starting a conversation and never immediately about infertility. We never feel rushed while meeting with him. ... The phone calls he makes when the news isn’t always great is so sincere and positive. I really appreciate the time he takes during appointments and phone calls he makes.
The staff [The Fertility Center of MI] is top notch, a beautiful welcoming facility. They all do a wonderful job in making you feel as comfortable as possible and are great at making the stress of the procedures a bit less. ... There was not ever a line [for monitoring appointments] we waited in the waiting room as if it was a regular appointment. We scheduled the time we were able to make it
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
We love Dr. Dodd’s he was able to change up our transfer each time it didn’t work to try something different to try and set us up for success. After a failed fresh transfer and a failed frozen transfer he never made us feel like we wouldn’t conceive. After our 2nd frozen transfer we conceived and carrier our son to term. The phone calls he makes when the news isn’t always great is so sincere and positive. I really appreciate the time he takes during appointments and phone calls he makes.
Ask questions he is more then willing to answer them
Dr. Dodd’s comes in the room shaking your hand always starting a conversation and never immediately about infertility. We never feel rushed while meeting with him. He’s interested/ask question about things that are not related to infertility just to make it a less stressful experience.
We used the resistant uterine protocol on our last frozen cycle. I believe that is what worked for us. Unfortunately I can’t remember the entire process or meds that were prescribed
The nursing staff was always very kind and supportive during the process.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I do not have any weaknesses that I can think of in regards to the clinic. The staff is top notch, a beautiful welcoming facility. They all do a wonderful job in making you feel as comfortable as possible and are great at making the stress of the procedures a bit less.
There was not ever a line we waited in the waiting room as if it was a regular appointment. We scheduled the time we were able to make it
Around $14000 I believe with the retrieval and 3 transfers (1 fresh 2 frozen)
He was very set on not transferring more then 2. He did say the odds of successful pregnancy were slightly higher when transferring 2.
Grand Rapids
We had our egg retrieval [with Dr. Dodds] and got 22 follicles 18 were mature, 14 were fertilized, 2 were implanted and 11 were frozen. We resulted in a positive pregnancy but at the 6 week ultrasound it wasn't looking good. I continued to take progesterone injections and at our follow up ultrasound we found both embryos implanted but we're not viable and I miscarried...Was very knowledgeable and seemed honest with us every time we spoke. He seemed to really want to help us with our family and offered different suggestions we could take. He left a lot up to us on how quickly we wanted to move forward and supported any decisions we made for our treatments.
They [staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan] seemed to care about our situation and we're hopeful with helping us on our infertility journey...[nurses were] Very helpful with any situation. Always returned my calls when I had any questions I had regarding our procedure to make sure I was still following our plan and things were progressing normally...The only thing was when we had our miscarriage after our first IVF procedure [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] it was much harder to receive help...
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
They seemed to care about our situation and we're hopeful with helping us on our infertility journey.
We started with 3 rounds of femara resulted all negative pregnancy tests, had an HSG done results were normal. I started IVF procedures with injections in the morning and also in the evening. I don't remember every injection but was closely monitored by blood work and ultrasounds every other day. Once we got the okay I had a trigger shot and another injection. We had our egg retrieval and got 22 follicles 18 were mature, 14 were fertilized, 2 were implanted and 11 were frozen. We resulted in a positive pregnancy but at the 6 week ultrasound it wasn't looking good. I continued to take progesterone injections and at our follow up ultrasound we found both embryos implanted but we're not viable and I miscarried.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Great at providing a way to get pregnant. Offers many more options and insight that regular ob's are not able to do. The only thing was when we had our miscarriage after our first IVF procedure it was much harder to receive help. There were other circumstances and factors that occurred during this time which made it more difficult. In hindsight I would have found a better OB sooner to help with the process.
I was given a few options based on availability and I picked what I was able to do between my work schedule and office hours.
With our original insurance we had all of our procedures covered outside of a minor copay for each appointment. With our new insurance they do not work with so everything is now out of pocket even though our current insurance offers fertility treatments the same as our previous insurance it's just now out of network.
Kalamazoo
Dr Dodds is one the kindest people I have ever met. He was so caring and understanding. He helped us see the light at the end of the tunnel when we couldn't see it ourselves. He celebrated our victories with us and was always there if we needed it. He was willing to look into things if needed and would always talk over my options with us so that we could decide together what was best...Dr Dodds was always so kind to me and positive. He was open to things I suggested and answered all my questions without rushing me. He made me feel like I was the only patient every time he was with me.
$6000 for IVF not including meds or monitoring appointments $3300 for frozen transfer My insurance covered meds with a $150 copay for each medication and completely covered ultrasounds...Everyone at the [Fertility Center] Kalamazoo office is wonderful from the front desk staff to the doctors. The only weakness I would say is their open hours so you have to drive to the main Grand Rapids office sometimes but for the most part don't have to
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Trust that he has your very best interest at heart!
My first retrieval we used follostim and menopur and then added in ganirelix when appropriate. We triggered with both HCG and lupron due to my history of mild OHSS. I did a fresh transfer with that cycle that resulted in a negative pregnancy test. I had 3 frozen day 2 embryos left from this cycle. My next retrieval cycle we did the same protocol but this time did a freeze all cycle. My first frozen transfer of a day 3 embryo using the long lupron protocol resulted in a chemical pregnancy. My second frozen transfer using the stimulated protocol (due to unwanted side effects with lupron) with follistim resulted in a successful singleton pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
Ashley is a wonderful, kind and caring nurse. She answered all my questions and would talk to me on the phone as much as I needed to feel comfortable. I can't say enough nice things about her!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Everyone at the Kalamazoo office is wonderful from the front desk staff to the doctors. The only weakness I would say is their open hours so you have to drive to the main Grand Rapids office sometimes but for the most part don't have to
My doctor recommended transferring 2 embryos each time which I agreed with

2014 - 2018
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Dodd’s was very friendly and informative every step of the way. He was very compassionate when we had a miscarriage. He did adjust our meds protocol for our second retrieval which we had wonderful results with. However, I did always feel rushed during our consults...We moved onto IVF and the first retrieval gave us 4 embryos. We transferred two and I became pregnant with a singleton resulting in a miscarriage at 9weeks pregnant. We then transferred the last two 4 months laters, which resulted in a negative pregnancy test. A year later we started the retrieval process again and this time the started the drugs at a stronger dose to jump start my follicles and we received 9 embryos at a 3 day blast. We transferred 2 and one embryo split and I was pregnant with triplets. Unfortunately at 10 weeks I lost the faturnal Twins. However my 3rd baby grew strong and we now have a 6 week beautiful baby girl!
I felt that [The Fertility Center of Michigan] was thorough during our treatments and were compassionate during our miscarriage. The only improvement I would like to see is that the doctors do not seem like they are in a rush during consultation. I did feel rushed during those meetings...Nurse Sandy is an absolutely wonderful nurse and person! She went above and beyond for me and she was my rock through this whole process! She always made sure I understand all the meds and process and would take multiple calls from me while I was panicking and always made me feel better.
2014 - 2018
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Be prepared with all your questions for him. So you feel informed of the process you are about to endure.
I felt that the fertility center was thorough during our treatments and were compassionate during our miscarriage. The only improvement I would like to see is that the doctors do not seem like they are in a rush during consultation. I did feel rushed during those meetings.
We started with IUI and gonal f shots. All resulting in a negative pregnancy test. We moved onto IVF and the first retrieval gave us 4 embryos. We transferred two and I became pregnant with a singleton resulting in a miscarriage at 9weeks pregnant. We then transferred the last two 4 months laters, which resulted in a negative pregnancy test. A year later we started the retrieval process again and this time the started the drugs at a stronger dose to jump start my follicles and we received 9 embryos at a 3 day blast. We transferred 2 and one embryo split and I was pregnant with triplets. Unfortunately at 10 weeks I lost the faturnal Twins. However my 3rd baby grew strong and we now have a 6 week beautiful baby girl!
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sandy)
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are all friendly and accommodating. They are very open and will share their infertility stories with their patients. I do feel it would help the financial stress of this process if they allowed payment plans.
8,000 for the ART program. 5,000 medication 2,000 blood work /ultrasounds, etc.
Grand Rapids

He [Dr. William Dodds] seemed to really care and wanted us to have a family almost as badly as we wanted to have one...I felt like if I ever needed to talk to Dr. Dodds about something he would make sure he was there for me. You can tell he has been doing this for a long time and creating families is his passion...suggested we move to IVF due to my age of 38...We were very happy Dr. Dodds allowed us to transfer 3 embryos on two separate occasions due to my age and my biological clock running out.
The Fertility Center is extremely knowledgeable and compassionate. Two qualities that are important and needed when a family is going through such a personal and sometimes devastating struggle to make their family bigger...Each one [nurse] again showed compassion and care for our story. Some of them had their own stories which helped to know they sort of knew the struggle we felt...We were very happy Dr. Dodds allowed us to transfer 3 embryos on two separate occasions due to my age and my biological clock running out.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
We felt like family with Dr. Dodds. I think he truly cares about our story and knows how badly we wanted a family. On the visits we didn't see Dr. Dodds, we saw exceptional and caring Drs I felt like if I ever needed to talk to Dr. Dodds about something he would make sure he was there for me. You can tell he has been doing this for a long time and creating families is his passion.
Keep going. What you are doing is a team effort with Dr. Dodd's. He will do his part and you will need to do your part.
He seemed to really care and wanted us to have a family almost as badly as we wanted to have one.
My husband and I had been trying to conceive for 4 years prior to seeing Dr. Dodd's. We had tried several IUI's with my OBGYN. One resulted in a pregnancy that ended in a stillbirth at 30 weeks. We never got pregnant on our own or any other time trying IUI with my OBGYN. In the consult with Dr. Dodd's, he talked about trying IUI twice with Clomyd before moving to more intensive treatment. I got pregnant and then miscarried with my first IUI treatment with Dr. Dodds. He then allowed me to try more than 2 IUI's, knowing I was able to get pregnant with the first round. After the 4th or 6th (can't remember how many we did) IUI that year, he then suggested we move to IVF due to my age of 38. My husband and I were hesitant due to the cost. We soon realized we needed to take the next step to IVF. We contacted Dr. Dodd's to let him know we wanted to take the next step and then it moved fast from there. We did the egg retrieval a couple of months later and did a live embryo transfer (3 embryos) two days later. We froze the 5 remaining. I had a successful pregnancy and gave birth to our son at 36 weeks and 5 days in May 2017. We then did an embryo transfer of 3 frozen embryos in March/April 2018 that resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Then in August 2018 we transferred our last 2 frozen embryos with a IUI two days prior to the embryo transfer. This round resulted in a positive pregnancy test. We soon found out we were pregnant with twins. Then I miscarried the twins at 7 weeks. At that point I was done trying due to my age and all that we had been through. We are happy with our son in heaven and our son on this earth. We are so grateful to Dr. Dodds, Dr. Shavell and Dr. Thakur for all their support and care they provided through our treatments. They showed compassion and humanity and some of their own personal stories. I can not say enough good things about The Fertility Center's team of doctors.
Each one again showed compassion and care for our story. Some of them had their own stories which helped to know they sort of knew the struggle we felt.
Grand Rapids

Dr. Dodd’s is a great doctor. He didn’t beat around the bush. He told us where we were at and what we needed to do straight up, all while maintaining a warm and open approach. He made us feel very confident in him...For the fresh embryo transfer they prefer to transfer 2 embryos..... He took time to be with us and answer any and all questions we had the whole way through.
Our ART nurse Kim is extremely knowledgeable. She helped us get all of our appointments set up. She ordered all of the needed medications and helped us get discounts to offset the cost of the medications. She went through every step of the process in detail and answered every question. I left my ART meeting feeling completely confident in my IVF journey at The Fertility Center.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodd’s is a great doctor. He didn’t beat around the bush. He told us where we were at and what we needed to do straight up, all while maintaining a warm and open approach. He made us feel very confident in him and of The Fertility Center as a whole.
Come with lots of questions and ask about anything you are unsure or confused about.
Dr. Dodds always wanted to know about our lives and what was going on in them. He took time to be with us and answer any and all questions we had the whole way through.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The Fertility Clinic has a great ambiance. It’s very clean and very welcoming. The waiting area has numerous resources for those who are going through fertility assistance. The ladies at the front desk are always on top of there game and get you checked in very fast. All of my appointments have started within 15 minutes of my appointment time. They are very efficient and run things well.
IVF - ART consultation, egg retrieval, embryo transfer = $8,000 Sperm analysis, wash, and storage = $1000 Ultrasounds = $225 (before insurance) Storage of embryos $400 a year. $100 charged per quarter
For the fresh embryo transfer they prefer to transfer 2 embryos.
Grand Rapids

Dr Dodds does go over info in a matter of fact and easy way to understand, but also gets to know you as a person. He calls himself when needed and makes sure you understand the plans moving forward but respects how you want to proceed with treatment. ... We have done one round of IUI Femara Protocol so far. ... We have not conceived yet so are trying another round of that same protocol and increasing the dose of Femara
The [Fertility Center of Michigan] environment is welcoming and comfortable. They are professional and organized for the most part. Every person we have encountered has been kind and willing to answer questions. ... There was one instance where the nurse had told me over the phone that she would send the prescriptions in and they were not at our pharmacy after a couple days.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
We are in the middle of our fertility journey so I haven't had too many encounters with Dr Dodds yet, however the ones I have had been positive. Upon meeting him he was very informative, but in a way thats easy to understand. He let us know what he thought the best plan for us was and also took some time getting to know us. He is professional but understanding and compassionate. He also called me personally the day of our IUI to discuss how it went and his thoughts for moving forward. We are confident and happy with the care we are receiving.
Don't be afraid to ask questions! He is more than happy to elaborate if you don't understand. Also don't be afraid to ask for a different option if you're not comfortable with the one he gives. For example, he thought we may be better off trying IVF but we decided to exhaust the IUI option first. He was supportive of this decision.
We have done one round of IUI Femara Protocol so far. We are using Femara, a mid cycle ultrasound, and ovidril injection. We have not conceived yet so are trying another round of that same protocol and increasing the dose of Femara
The nursing staff has been supportive, kind, and informative. They encouraged us when we were upset, answered all of our questions without making us feel silly, and have been incredibly professional during treatments.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The environment is welcoming and comfortable. They are professional and organized for the most part. Every person we have encountered has been kind and willing to answer questions. We were really nervous on our first visit but the nurses made it more comfortable. You will first meet with a nurse to go over your information, then your Dr will meet with you in their office. We were very worried that it would be a very emotional experience, but the staff and environment made it much easier than we thought.
We are only beginning. Our first patient visit we just paid a copay because our insurance covers diagnostic costs. The cost of IUI was $600 (not including our medication, that was an additional $120)
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
There was one instance where the nurse had told me over the phone that she would send the prescriptions in and they were not at our pharmacy after a couple days. I called back and another nurse could see that we had talked but that the scripts weren't actually sent. She sent them and it was taken care of quickly.

Endometriosis, Unexplained, Other
It was determined I have a heart-shaped (bicornuate) uterus ... He [Dr. Dodds] has stuck with us and has kept us hopeful during a tough journey. He is always comprehensive in his treatment planning and when a treatment hasn't proven to be successful, he is great about tweaking things or offering other options. He is direct and very smart. He is also caring and empathetic. If I had to start treatment over, I would absolutely stick with him as my doctor.
Great staff [Fertility Center of Michigan], although sometimes tough to get through on the phone immediately to someone (obviously not including emergencies). Often I have to leave a message and wait for a call back to schedule or to have questions answered. ... IVF without PGS for healthy 28-30y.o. was about 8-10K. With PGS clinic cost is about 12.5K and seperate PGS fee is 5.8K.
Endometriosis, Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Even though we haven't had our miracle baby yet, I still am so thankful for having Dr. Dodds as our doctor. He has stuck with us and has kept us hopeful during a tough journey. He is always comprehensive in his treatment planning and when a treatment hasn't proven to be successful, he is great about tweaking things or offering other options. He is direct and very smart. He is also caring and empathetic. If I had to start treatment over, I would absolutely stick with him as my doctor.
Schedule to meet with him if you have questions and make sure to bring a list of questions! He is great about explaining options and also great about listening to you.
When we first started medicated cycles at The Fertility Center, I rarely saw any of the doctors, but when I did, it was always a good experience. However as we have continued on through IUIs, then IVF, a miscarriage, the care has gotten more and more personalized and Dr. Dodds has been extremely empathetic, thorough, and generous. He has squeezed us in when the schedule was "full" and never rushes the conversation when we meet with him.
He first ordered blood work, sperm analysis, and HSG for diagnostic testing. It was determined I have a heart-shaped (bicornuate) uterus, otherwise we were unexplained. Multiples is a big risk with this condition, so he made sure to start me out on the lowest dose of Femara when I started medicated cycles. He had me come in for one midcycle US and we were able to adjust meds to get the anywhere from 1-3 follicles. After 4 cycles on femara, we met with him and he offered IUI or IVF. I was close to overproducing follicles a couple times (and again multiples is risky for me), so IVF would be more predictable. But, due to cost, we decided to do IUIs first and he was very understanding. We added in injectables to help with egg quality and ended up having to cancel our first month due to overproducing. After that, he had me come in a lot earlier and more frequent to monitor closely. The next 3 IUIs went smoothly (except for not getting a positive pregnancy test!). We then moved on to IVF. Before starting, I was on birth control for 6 weeks to quiet everything. We had a great retrieval with 17 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, all 16 fertilized, and 12 made it to day 2 freeze. I had to do a freeze-all because of risk of hyperstimulation. After our first day 3 embryo FET, I got pregnant, but miscarried at 10 weeks. I then went on to do 3 more FETs, all failed. We met with him after each FET to discuss next steps. He did try an immune protocol for resistant uterus for the last two FETs due to some indications that I may have autoimmune issues. This last FET we ended up transferring two embryos, as we hadn't had luck with single embryo transfers. After 4 transfers and 5 embryos transferred, we met again and Dr. Dodds had discussed our case with the other three doctors at the practice and gave us several options moving forward. We are now considering doing a fresh round of IVF and PGS testing all embryos, new and old. We got karyotyping done on me and are waiting on results. I also have a hysteroscopy scheduled for next week to look at the inside of the uterus to determine if anything obvious could be preventing implantation.
There are a lot and they are all super nice and helpful. Early in our time at the Fertility Center, I sometimes felt like I had to remind some of them about certain unique parts of my case, but as we have moved on to IVF, the nurses seem to be very up to speed.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Great staff, although sometimes tough to get through on the phone immediately to someone (obviously not including emergencies). Often I have to leave a message and wait for a call back to schedule or to have questions answered. But, everyone is always helpful! They run things efficiently and are good about getting back to you that day if indicated.
IVF without PGS for healthy 28-30y.o. was about 8-10K. With PGS clinic cost is about 12.5K and seperate PGS fee is 5.8K. IUI ended up being about 1.5K per cycle. Medicated cycles alone were pretty cheap, usually $100-200.
With a bicornuate uterus, we were encouraged to transfer one embryo. Not until our fourth transfer did we end up transferring two. Dr. Dodds went over all the pros/cons with us.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Very nice and great bedside manner. He [Dr. William Dodds] is realistic but after 2 failed transfers he is not changing anything and that is frustrating. Clear with his plan of action and answered all questions. Did feel slightly rushed when seeing him.... I did the GnRH antagonist protocol due to my low ovarian reserve (low AMH) and the results were 12 eggs total with 1 immature, 1 did not fertilize and 10 fertilized embryos. We did use ICSI as our choice to increase our odds to be able to freeze our embryos. No male factor with my husband. He transferred two and froze 8. The goal was to have enough embryos to have for all children desired as my ovarian reserve will continue to decrease and IVF in the future might not produce as many eggs.
I do not have any negatives to say about any of the staff at The Fertility Center. All were kind, excellent communicators, compassionate, concise, knowledgeable.... Able to get you in for a visit in a reasonable amount of time, awesome staff, fair prices, straight forward billing, counseling available, quick phone calls back and caring doctors. At this time there are no weaknesses.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Very nice and great bedside manner. He is realistic but after 2 failed transfers he is not changing anything and that is frustrating. Clear with his plan of action and answered all questions. Did feel slightly rushed when seeing him.
Very kind and compassionate for what you are going through. Knowledgeable.
Very personable and funny.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I have Blue Care Network Nurse office visits-copay $10 Doctor office visits-co-pay $40.00 Ultrasounds were partly covered- out of pocket was approx $30.00 per US All labs were covered but had to use an outside lab--could not have blood drawn in the office. Hysterscopy with Dye was partly covered by insurance--approx $300.00 out of pocket Hysteroscopy with saline-partly covered but out of pocket was $100.00 Approx $8,000 for IVF, ICSI and transfer. Anesthesia was from an outside vendor and was $400.00 Medications ordered from outside pharmacy was approx $5000.00 for IVF (some were partly covered and some were covered but the out of pocket cost was more than the cash price so chose cash price). Endometrial Scratch-partly covered but approx $100.00 out of pocket 1st Transfer cost approx $5000.00 and medications an additional $250.00 through outside pharmacy.
He did not have any preference. He said due to my age we could choose 1-2 embryos to transfer and that our chance of pregnancy was higher, even with just one, as all my testing thus far was negative and I was 29 years of age.

Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
I was provided information [by Dr. William Dodds] on the risks of single vs. multiple and the recommended number to implant based on my age...altered treatment for my second round of IVF to achieve better results. He is friendly and willing to answer any questions. However, it did not seem like he knew me as a patient and what my experience was and needed to go through my chart right before meeting me.
Even though I met with several nurses [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] over the course of treatment, they each were kind, knowledgeable, and were able to answer any questions I had. They took my concerns seriously and accommodated me as needed...There was just some miscommunication this last cycle with the medications I was supposed to be on and when I was supposed to start. It is unclear if it was more the pharmacy's fault or the clinic's, but it was stressful not receiving medications until the day before I was supposed to start my medications.
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodds is very knowledgeable and has lots of experience. He is compassionate in the room and will call depending on the result. He also provides hope for future round of treatment. It may be that he has too many patients, as it seemed as though he did not remember me and needed to look over my chart prior to each meeting.
Make sure to ask lots of questions.
Dr. Dodds altered treatment for my second round of IVF to achieve better results. He is friendly and willing to answer any questions. However, it did not seem like he knew me as a patient and what my experience was and needed to go through my chart right before meeting me.
For my first IVF cycle - I was on the antagonist protocol with Cetrotide, Menopur and Gonal-F. This produced 13 eggs, 8 fertilized and 4 embryos. We transferred two on a fresh cycle and two on a frozen cycle on none of them stuck. For my second cycle (current), I am on the microdose flare Lupron protocol. Three days after stopping birth control I start on 20 units of microdose Lupron twice a day. Two days of that I began 450 IU of Gonal F in the evenings. I have also had an endo scratch and will use Embryogen for this cycle in order to help with implantation. Egg retrieval is in 2-3 days.
Even though I met with several nurses over the course of treatment, they each were kind, knowledgeable, and were able to answer any questions I had. They took my concerns seriously and accommodated me as needed.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is very efficient in terms of planning for treatment and getting you in for ultrasounds and blood work. They meet with you after most appointments to make sure you are clear are the next steps. In terms of weaknesses, there was some miscommunication with the pharmacy regarding my medication and sometimes it can be difficult to get answers regarding insurance issues. But, overall, they care about their patients and want success for everyone.
IVF treatment with ICSI was around $9000; ultrasounds and blood work were separate costs. Medication was between $2800-$3400
I was provided information on the risks of single vs. multiple and the recommended number to implant based on my age.
Grand Rapids

I have only seen Dr. Dodds once, but he was pretty good when we met with him. He met with us in his office instead of an exam room. He took the time to review all of my previous tests and surgery.... I did feel like he was a little matter of fact and didn't explain things in great detail. He just laid out the plan and gave us the next step. I left a little bit confused and felt a little like we had been rushed into moving forward with an IUI.
It's a great clinic [Fertility Ctr of MI], but it's very big. I was hoping for more of a compassionate atmosphere, but it's pretty business-like. I do appreciate that some of the front desk ladies have started to recognize me.... Some of the nurses were friendlier than others. They all seemed to be very knowledgeable and I felt comfortable with their recommendations. They were always very matter of fact and never really asked me about how I was doing though. T
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I have only seen Dr. Dodds once, but he was pretty good when we met with him. He met with us in his office instead of an exam room. He took the time to review all of my previous tests and surgery. He asked us about our jobs. He had a connection to the place where my husband works and he told a long story about that. I appreciated that he waited until the end of the appointment to talk to us about that. I did feel like he was a little matter of fact and didn't explain things in great detail. He just laid out the plan and gave us the next step. I left a little bit confused and felt a little like we had been rushed into moving forward with an IUI.
Make sure you ask questions! We didn't really know what to ask at the time but we felt like we left with more questions than answers.
Dr. Dodds took the time to talk to us about our jobs and life.
Dr. Dodds suggested that we start moving forward with an IUI. He put me on Femara, an ovidrel injection, and progesterone. He didn't really explain what each of these did or why I was taking them. After my husband and I discussed it, we weren't comfortable moving forward with the IUI right away. I called back and talked to a nurse about it. We decided to try timed intercourse first. So, she said to take the Femara and the progesterone, but I could wait on the Ovidrel. I went in for a mid-cycle ultrasound and the nurse told me when to have intercourse. After a negative pregnancy test that month, we decided to go forward with the IUI. Then it was back to the Femara, Ovidrel, and Progesterone. Then a mid-cycle ultrasound and the insemination. The Progesterone gave me really bad side effects so after I called and asked, my dosage was reduced by half and that seemed to help. I got another negative pregnancy test, so we started all over again. I am currently scheduled for another IUI later this week.
Some of the nurses were friendlier than others. They all seemed to be very knowledgeable and I felt comfortable with their recommendations. They were always very matter of fact and never really asked me about how I was doing though. This is a very emotional experience and I would have liked that to be acknowledged a little more.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It's a great clinic, but it's very big. I was hoping for more of a compassionate atmosphere, but it's pretty business-like. I do appreciate that some of the front desk ladies have started to recognize me.
My initial appointment and ultrasounds are covered by insurance. The IUI procedure was $500. The meds were ordered through a pharmacy and were $100-$200 each cycle.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I had a blood test done that I never got the results for. I finally had to ask about it a month later.

Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Dr. Dodds honestly cares about the end result and how it’s effecting you. He’s gone out of his way to personally pick up the phone in good and bad circumstances.... Dr. Dodds is willing to explore all avenues and alters your treatment as needed. I have noticed that amongst friends going through treatment, he does work through trends in the market (uterine scratch, embryogen, etc.). He is upbeat and has positive relations with his team at the clinic.
The office team [The Fertility Center of Michigan] up front seems to change regularly but there are a couple of key long term employees I’ve noticed....Shana, the ultrasound tech, is the best! She is so sweet and knowledgeable.... My primary nurse, Sandy, was excellent....There are a couple nurses on the team that I would not rate as high either due to competency or low sensitivity.... I question the ability of the lab with ICSI. I need to research their success rates in comparison to other labs but I lost a lot of eggs after attempting ICSI fertilization.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Other
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Do your research and go through every option that you have available to you. For example: ICSI, time lapsed photography, genetic testing. Decide what is right for you and ask the hard questions including success rates with each treatment.
For our IVF cycle we did ICSI (which is apparently used on 90% or so patients at TFC), time lapsed photography (differentiates between quality and keeps them in one enclosed space versus taking them out to check under a microscope), day 3 transfer (standard at this clinic), and freeze all cycle (I was at risk for hyper stimulation).
My primary nurse, Sandy, was excellent. I felt that I was in great care with her from the beginning. There are a couple nurses on the team that I would not rate as high either due to competency or low sensitivity. I’d say the majority are above average in bedside manner though.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I question the ability of the lab with ICSI. I need to research their success rates in comparison to other labs but I lost a lot of eggs after attempting ICSI fertilization. The office team up front seems to change regularly but there are a couple of key long term employees I’ve noticed.
Shana, the ultrasound tech, is the best! She is so sweet and knowledgeable.
I became pregnant with twins after the first transfer (two embryos). We lost both of them at eight weeks. Therefore, knowing that pregnancy can occur, we opted for a single on the second transfer. Pregnancy did not occur, however.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I was overstimulated even on a low dose. This caused my estrogen levels to skyrocket. They chose to move me over to a freeze-all cycle. In some regard, a freeze-all actually worked out better for me though because I felt recovered before allowing the transfer.
Grand Rapids

You may request him [Dr. William Dodds] as your doctor or see him the first time, but most likely you’ll see different doctors the rest of the way...He made me feel comfortable during the visit. After a dismal first retrieval result (only 2 poor quality embryos made it to day 4), he called personally then changed my plan to multi-cycle plan which is much more cost effective. I saw him just one more time after the initial visit, as his other colleagues did the procedures. After 2 retrievals, I had an FET which was successful
They were very flexible [for monitoring appointments at The Fertility Center of Michigan], and the good thing was they have a lot of clinics so if the schedule would not work out in a clinic, you have other options...I thought they were reasonable [cost-wise]. The multi-cycle plan was cost effective. There were no hidden costs...The clinic gave me a choice [on embryo transfer]. I’m not sure if they transfer more than 2...Weakness: very busy practice, so it’s understandable how the organization can be compromised. Their kalamazoo clinic’s waiting room was such that everyone waiting could hear everything you’re discussing with the receptionist. Having a lot of clinics in different parts of michigan made it easier to have ultrasounds done when we were in the process of moving
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
You may request him as your doctor or see him the first time, but most likely you’ll see different doctors the rest of the way
When the first egg retrieval had bad results, he personally called to deliver the news
We discussed my first egg retrieval with another clinic which had to be terminated as only one follicle was developing during treatment, and his opinion was that my med dosages were too low. Stim meds were increased in dose and the results were better than the first but still not good (2 poor quality embryos produced). The next cycle I took estrogen supplements first to stimulate follicle production and my stim meds were increased further (maximum), and the results were better - 3 embryos but their qualities were better. I decided to do fet then instead of going through a third egg retrieval as we moved and it was too hard to go to appointments for egg retrieval. 2 embryos were transferred, and I had one baby born
I spoke to a different nurse each time. They were all really nice. You rarely ever call without having to leave a message in the voicemail though. Sometimes they did hive conflicting information though, but just for minor things that I can’t recall anymore
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic seems to have a pretty good success rate and is quite popular. I found the costs to be reasonable, and better than the first clinic I went to. No hidden costs (again unlike the first clinic I went to where I was charged $450 every time I talked to a nurse coordinator). Weakness: very busy practice, so it’s understandable how the organization can be compromised. Their kalamazoo clinic’s waiting room was such that everyone waiting could hear everything you’re discussing with the receptionist. Having a lot of clinics in different parts of michigan made it easier to have ultrasounds done when we were in the process of moving
They were very flexible, and the good thing was they have a lot of clinics so if the schedule would not work out in a clinic, you have other options
I thought they were reasonable. The multi-cycle plan was cost effective. There were no hidden costs
The clinic gave me a choice. I’m not sure if they transfer more than 2
Grand Rapids

He [Dr. Dodds] always took time to listen and was so very compassionate. He took the time to explain everything. He always worked to keep a positive attitude no matter what set backs arrived. I can not understate his kindness and how well treated we felt at the fertility center. ... He always took the time to thoroughly explain all treatment. He considered all factors of the potential parents lives and took the time to understand the barriers. Also he always remained so positive.
The costs [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] were fair and well described prior to my consenting for the treatment. They do work with you to try and reduce costs where needed. ... It was nice that they have a lab on site. They have a number of ultrasound suits with consult rooms. Everything was well maintained and created a warm and welcoming environment at a time that can be very frightening.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He always took time to listen and was so very compassionate. He took the time to explain everything. He always worked to keep a positive attitude no matter what set backs arrived. I can not understate his kindness and how well treated we felt at the fertility center.
The most important thing I had to remember was to stay positive. Follow treatment instructions and if you have questions don’t hesitate to call.
We started out with clomid and timed intercourse. Unfortunately a previous OB has me on Clomid for some time so I did not do many cycles of this. We then moved to estrogen and fsh injections. We continued timed intercourse. We did get a positive but the pregnancy was chemical. We repeated the cycle and achieved pregnancy but had a blighted ovum. We tried one more cycle but could not get a good number of follicles. We took a year off due to back to back losses and a cancer diagnosis in the family. On our first cycle in 2018 we did estrogen, fsh, progesterone and IUI. With this we were successful in achieving pregnancy and had a beautiful baby girl.
All staff were very helpful. All of them were very knowledge and were able to answer all questions.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Everything for me went very smoothly. I have no complaints. It was nice that they have a lab on site. They have a number of ultrasound suits with consult rooms. Everything was well maintained and created a warm and welcoming environment at a time that can be very frightening.
The costs were fair and well described prior to my consenting for the treatment. They do work with you to try and reduce costs where needed.
Grand Rapids
He [Dr. Dodds] seems like a very nice man. He had a sense of humor that was refreshing.... Had decent beside manner, and didn't seem to rush us out the door. Took time to explain everything we were going to do... The blood work that he wanted me to get done. He put me on thyroid medication to try and correct my levels even though they were only slightly off. He laid out a plan for what we were going to do what days I needed to call the clinic, what days I would be taking my pills, what days I would be taking my shots.
The two ladies that I interacted with seem to be very kind and understanding. It's difficult to be in the office surounded by pictures of babies that this Clinic [Fertility Center of Michigan] has helped to bring into the world for other women when you still don't have your own. So I find myself crying a lot. And they are all very sweet and compassionate women that I've dealt with... Overall it is a wonderful place to go for infertility treatments.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He seems like a very nice man. He had a sense of humor that was refreshing. He is the second doctor that I've seen for infertility, and I would definitely say that he was the better of the two. He explained everything that we were going to be doing. The blood work that he wanted me to get done. He put me on thyroid medication to try and correct my levels even though they were only slightly off. He laid out a plan for what we were going to do what days I needed to call the clinic, what days I would be taking my pills, what days I would be taking my shots. Everything was well planned out. Overall I would say that he's a great doctor.
I would say that he is not going to lie to you so don't go in there expecting to hear exactly what you want to hear,because he's going to tell you the truth
The doctor I saw before William. Put me on Clomid for four Cycles. So when he saw that he decided that he would put me on Fermara. And I took that for one cycle I believe it was days 3 through 7. I came in to have an ultrasound done and my follicles measured and I can't remember what day that was. The day after I had my ultrasound I was instructed to use a trigger shot to force ovulation and I was instructed to have intercourse once every 24 hours for the next three days. No pregnancy resulted from this round of femara, so I went to Grand Rapids to have dye injected into my uterus and x-rays done to see if my tubes are blocked which they were not. I had some blood work done but I can't remember what that was for. Our next step is going to be IUI next month.
The two ladies that I interacted with seem to be very kind and understanding. It's difficult to be in the office surounded by pictures of babies that this Clinic has helped to bring into the world for other women when you still don't have your own. So I find myself crying a lot. And they are all very sweet and compassionate women that I've dealt with
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
There really isn't anything else I would say about the clinic that I have not said about the doctors and nurses. Overall it is a wonderful place to go for infertility treatments. The only thing I wish that this Clinic offered was invocell. I've heard that it is a new like IVF treatment but it is substantially cheaper
They submit everything through my insurance even though my insurance doesn't cover infertility. So I have yet to receive the bill
We have not discussed this yet
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
The day after my initial appointment for some reason the thyroid medication the doctor wanted me to be put on had not been called in to the pharmacy. The femara and the trigger shot had been called in though
5 IVF, 5 Egg Freezing
My doctor [Dr. Dodds] never looked at my chart until he entered the room. He is always running late & rushing to see the next patient...He is clearly very knowledgeable, but lacks an ability to connect with his patients. He never took the time to learn my husbands name over the 5 years we worked with him. I never felt like he prepared ahead of time when meeting with us. He spent the first ten minutes reading through my chart getting familiar with my case.
Great nurses & office staff [The Fertility Center] at the Kakamazoo branch. They take time to answer our questions & acknowledge how horrible this entire situation is. We have been less pleased with the Grand Rapids staff. We feel like cattle passing through bc the clinic is so large....One of my mini IVF extraction was cancelled bc they waited a day too long....My nurses were much more invested in getting to know me....$50,000ish after 7 cycles...
5 IVF, 5 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He is clearly very knowledgeable, but lacks an ability to connect with his patients. He never took the time to learn my husbands name over the 5 years we worked with him. I never felt like he prepared ahead of time when meeting with us. He spent the first ten minutes reading through my chart getting familiar with my case. I know other couples who did feel a connection with him & have great things to say about him.
Make a connection with your nurses & advocate for yourself.
My nurses were much more invested in getting to know me. My doctor never looked at my chart until he entered the room. He is always running late & rushing to see the next patient.
I did a traditional long stim protocol the first round because everything was completely normal with my blood work & ultrasounds. They transferred the only 2 embryos 2 days after my extraction. I had a negative result. For our second round they did a hyper stim flare protocol since I didn’t produce the amount of eggs they were expecting. We ended up with 2 embryos again despite the hopes of getting much more. We did a FET 2 months later & had a positive result. 2 weeks later we lost. We them moved forward with 5 mini iVF’s in the hopes of getting high quality eggs. 2 of the 5 extractions were cancelled due to a dominant follocule & a possible missed ovulation. We ended up with 3 frozen embryos after undergoing the mini IVF’s. We did a FET with an angry uterine protocol (intrauterine HCG injection)& transferred 2 & had a neGative result. We did another FET (also angry uterine/HCG injection)with our last embryo & received a positive. This pregnacy ended in an ectopic pregnancy which was treated with methotrexate. I completed an endometrial receptivity assay & the results indicated I needed a transfer 24 hours after the norm. We are beginning another round of the hyperstim flare protocol in May with the angry uterine protocol/HCG injection for the FET.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Julie S & Ashley )
My nurses have been AMAZING.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Great nurses & office staff at the Kakamazoo branch. They take time to answer our questions & acknowledge how horrible this entire situation is. We have been less pleased with the Grand Rapids staff. We feel like cattle passing through bc the clinic is so large.
$50,000ish after 7 cycles
For my case, Dodd’s indicates that multiple embryo transfer is best bc the hormones supplied by the additional embryos may support the strongest embryo.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
One of my mini IVF extraction was cancelled bc they waited a day too long.