The Fertility Center of Michigan

Doctor, Nurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolOhio St
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
Traverse City
1200 6th Street
Traverse City, MI 49684
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend William Dodds to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend The Fertility Center of Michigan to a friend?
I have only seen Dr. Dodds once, but he was pretty good when we met with him. He met with us in his office instead of an exam room. He took the time to review all of my previous tests and surgery.... I did feel like he was a little matter of fact and didn't explain things in great detail. He just laid out the plan and gave us the next step. I left a little bit confused and felt a little like we had been rushed into moving forward with an IUI.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I have only seen Dr. Dodds once, but he was pretty good when we met with him. He met with us in his office instead of an exam room. He took the time to review all of my previous tests and surgery. He asked us about our jobs. He had a connection to the place where my husband works and he told a long story about that. I appreciated that he waited until the end of the appointment to talk to us about that. I did feel like he was a little matter of fact and didn't explain things in great detail. He just laid out the plan and gave us the next step. I left a little bit confused and felt a little like we had been rushed into moving forward with an IUI.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Make sure you ask questions! We didn't really know what to ask at the time but we felt like we left with more questions than answers.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodds took the time to talk to us about our jobs and life.
Describe the protocols William Dodds used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
Dr. Dodds suggested that we start moving forward with an IUI. He put me on Femara, an ovidrel injection, and progesterone. He didn't really explain what each of these did or why I was taking them. After my husband and I discussed it, we weren't comfortable moving forward with the IUI right away. I called back and talked to a nurse about it. We decided to try timed intercourse first. So, she said to take the Femara and the progesterone, but I could wait on the Ovidrel. I went in for a mid-cycle ultrasound and the nurse told me when to have intercourse. After a negative pregnancy test that month, we decided to go forward with the IUI. Then it was back to the Femara, Ovidrel, and Progesterone. Then a mid-cycle ultrasound and the insemination. The Progesterone gave me really bad side effects so after I called and asked, my dosage was reduced by half and that seemed to help. I got another negative pregnancy test, so we started all over again. I am currently scheduled for another IUI later this week.
Some of the nurses were friendlier than others. They all seemed to be very knowledgeable and I felt comfortable with their recommendations. They were always very matter of fact and never really asked me about how I was doing though. This is a very emotional experience and I would have liked that to be acknowledged a little more.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It's a great clinic, but it's very big. I was hoping for more of a compassionate atmosphere, but it's pretty business-like. I do appreciate that some of the front desk ladies have started to recognize me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
My initial appointment and ultrasounds are covered by insurance. The IUI procedure was $500. The meds were ordered through a pharmacy and were $100-$200 each cycle.
2014 - 2018
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Dodds always takes the time to elaborate and know that I completely understand the process. Always answers any questions I have and is very patient. Very personable and friendly.... Strengths- very knowledgeable and always has an exact plan for me based on my infertility and doesn't compare to anyone else's.... Weakness- He does travel to other offices around Michigan so he is not always available at the Grand Rapids office where I see him.
2014 - 2018
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Strengths- very knowledgeable and always has an exact plan for me based on my infertility and doesn't compare to anyone else's. Even though we haven't had a successful pregnancy I feel like Dr. Dodd's is getting closer to pin pointing the reason and is always suggesting new things. He is very honest but not too blunt. Weakness- He does travel to other offices around Michigan so he is not always available at the Grand Rapids office where I see him.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, he will sit there and answer all your questions no matter what.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Very knowledgeable, you hardly have any questions because they go through every detail of the whole process. Very organized. Always call you when they say they will. Extremely friendly.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Very organized and all communicate with one another. For the most part easy to get through on the phone and they will call you back if it requires immediate attention but sometimes it is difficult to get through on the phone and they wont call you back until the next day if its not very important.
Roughly $12,000 for fresh IVF cycle-includes IVF and medication. Doesn't included roughly $2,000 for all the bloodwork and ultrasounds that insurance didn't cover or $400 mobile anesthesia for the egg retrieval. $3,000 for each FET cycle $100 quarterly fee for frozen embryos storage.
Describe William Dodds's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Dr. Dodd's suggested multiple embryo transfer (2) each time (we have done it twice now). For higher chance of pregnancy rate.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Dr. Dodds honestly cares about the end result and how it’s effecting you. He’s gone out of his way to personally pick up the phone in good and bad circumstances.... Dr. Dodds is willing to explore all avenues and alters your treatment as needed. I have noticed that amongst friends going through treatment, he does work through trends in the market (uterine scratch, embryogen, etc.). He is upbeat and has positive relations with his team at the clinic.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Other
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Do your research and go through every option that you have available to you. For example: ICSI, time lapsed photography, genetic testing. Decide what is right for you and ask the hard questions including success rates with each treatment.
For our IVF cycle we did ICSI (which is apparently used on 90% or so patients at TFC), time lapsed photography (differentiates between quality and keeps them in one enclosed space versus taking them out to check under a microscope), day 3 transfer (standard at this clinic), and freeze all cycle (I was at risk for hyper stimulation).
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sandy)
My primary nurse, Sandy, was excellent. I felt that I was in great care with her from the beginning. There are a couple nurses on the team that I would not rate as high either due to competency or low sensitivity. I’d say the majority are above average in bedside manner though.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I question the ability of the lab with ICSI. I need to research their success rates in comparison to other labs but I lost a lot of eggs after attempting ICSI fertilization. The office team up front seems to change regularly but there are a couple of key long term employees I’ve noticed.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Shana, the ultrasound tech, is the best! She is so sweet and knowledgeable.
I became pregnant with twins after the first transfer (two embryos). We lost both of them at eight weeks. Therefore, knowing that pregnancy can occur, we opted for a single on the second transfer. Pregnancy did not occur, however.
Grand Rapids
He [Dr. Dodds] seems like a very nice man. He had a sense of humor that was refreshing.... Had decent beside manner, and didn't seem to rush us out the door. Took time to explain everything we were going to do... The blood work that he wanted me to get done. He put me on thyroid medication to try and correct my levels even though they were only slightly off. He laid out a plan for what we were going to do what days I needed to call the clinic, what days I would be taking my pills, what days I would be taking my shots.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He seems like a very nice man. He had a sense of humor that was refreshing. He is the second doctor that I've seen for infertility, and I would definitely say that he was the better of the two. He explained everything that we were going to be doing. The blood work that he wanted me to get done. He put me on thyroid medication to try and correct my levels even though they were only slightly off. He laid out a plan for what we were going to do what days I needed to call the clinic, what days I would be taking my pills, what days I would be taking my shots. Everything was well planned out. Overall I would say that he's a great doctor.
I would say that he is not going to lie to you so don't go in there expecting to hear exactly what you want to hear,because he's going to tell you the truth
The doctor I saw before William. Put me on Clomid for four Cycles. So when he saw that he decided that he would put me on Fermara. And I took that for one cycle I believe it was days 3 through 7. I came in to have an ultrasound done and my follicles measured and I can't remember what day that was. The day after I had my ultrasound I was instructed to use a trigger shot to force ovulation and I was instructed to have intercourse once every 24 hours for the next three days. No pregnancy resulted from this round of femara, so I went to Grand Rapids to have dye injected into my uterus and x-rays done to see if my tubes are blocked which they were not. I had some blood work done but I can't remember what that was for. Our next step is going to be IUI next month.
The two ladies that I interacted with seem to be very kind and understanding. It's difficult to be in the office surounded by pictures of babies that this Clinic has helped to bring into the world for other women when you still don't have your own. So I find myself crying a lot. And they are all very sweet and compassionate women that I've dealt with
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
There really isn't anything else I would say about the clinic that I have not said about the doctors and nurses. Overall it is a wonderful place to go for infertility treatments. The only thing I wish that this Clinic offered was invocell. I've heard that it is a new like IVF treatment but it is substantially cheaper
They submit everything through my insurance even though my insurance doesn't cover infertility. So I have yet to receive the bill
We have not discussed this yet
5 IVF, 5 Egg Freezing
My doctor [Dr. Dodds] never looked at my chart until he entered the room. He is always running late & rushing to see the next patient...He is clearly very knowledgeable, but lacks an ability to connect with his patients. He never took the time to learn my husbands name over the 5 years we worked with him. I never felt like he prepared ahead of time when meeting with us. He spent the first ten minutes reading through my chart getting familiar with my case.
5 IVF, 5 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He is clearly very knowledgeable, but lacks an ability to connect with his patients. He never took the time to learn my husbands name over the 5 years we worked with him. I never felt like he prepared ahead of time when meeting with us. He spent the first ten minutes reading through my chart getting familiar with my case. I know other couples who did feel a connection with him & have great things to say about him.
Make a connection with your nurses & advocate for yourself.
My nurses were much more invested in getting to know me. My doctor never looked at my chart until he entered the room. He is always running late & rushing to see the next patient.
I did a traditional long stim protocol the first round because everything was completely normal with my blood work & ultrasounds. They transferred the only 2 embryos 2 days after my extraction. I had a negative result. For our second round they did a hyper stim flare protocol since I didn’t produce the amount of eggs they were expecting. We ended up with 2 embryos again despite the hopes of getting much more. We did a FET 2 months later & had a positive result. 2 weeks later we lost. We them moved forward with 5 mini iVF’s in the hopes of getting high quality eggs. 2 of the 5 extractions were cancelled due to a dominant follocule & a possible missed ovulation. We ended up with 3 frozen embryos after undergoing the mini IVF’s. We did a FET with an angry uterine protocol (intrauterine HCG injection)& transferred 2 & had a neGative result. We did another FET (also angry uterine/HCG injection)with our last embryo & received a positive. This pregnacy ended in an ectopic pregnancy which was treated with methotrexate. I completed an endometrial receptivity assay & the results indicated I needed a transfer 24 hours after the norm. We are beginning another round of the hyperstim flare protocol in May with the angry uterine protocol/HCG injection for the FET.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Julie S & Ashley )
My nurses have been AMAZING.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Great nurses & office staff at the Kakamazoo branch. They take time to answer our questions & acknowledge how horrible this entire situation is. We have been less pleased with the Grand Rapids staff. We feel like cattle passing through bc the clinic is so large.
$50,000ish after 7 cycles
For my case, Dodd’s indicates that multiple embryo transfer is best bc the hormones supplied by the additional embryos may support the strongest embryo.
Kalamazoo
What we did expect was for him [Dr. Dodds] to do his job as far as explaining our course of treatment, answering any questions we had, and helping us feel comfortable with our journey, and he accomplished all of that. He was very warm and had great bedside manner for both our egg retrieval and embryo transfer. Even my husband said, "I like him. He's a good doctor."... there have also been times where he truly is patient with questions we have and he sits and answers all of them. We never felt rushed or like he didn't have the time for us.
European, Other
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
We were very happy. We understand that it's a busy clinic and he sees many patients so we weren't expecting to feel like we were the only ones there because, let's be honest, that's not realistic. What we did expect was for him to do his job as far as explaining our course of treatment, answering any questions we had, and helping us feel comfortable with our journey, and he accomplished all of that. He was very warm and had great bedside manner for both our egg retrieval and embryo transfer. Even my husband said, "I like him. He's a good doctor." Which my hubby is typically a go with the follow type guy so I was happy to hear that from him! Overall we have been very happy with our treatment from Dr. Dodds so far!
Have questions ready to ask, he is always willing to take the time to answer them and make you feel as comfortable as you can. Also, understand he is human, he is not perfect, but he absolutely cares about his patients.
There have been a couple times where my husband and I have felt that he says something to us that "he probably says to everyone." However, there have also been times where he truly is patient with questions we have and he sits and answers all of them. We never felt rushed or like he didn't have the time for us.
Our process went fairly smooth, but I appreciated that they carefully monitored my Estradiol and Progesterone levels as we were doing our follicle stimulating hormone injections. At one point my dosage was lowered and that made me feel confident that it was being carefully monitored. I am sure that this is a protocol for most clinics, but it was just one more thing that gave me added security going through it!
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sandy, Amy, Ashley, Shana )
The 4 main nurses that we saw were Sandy, Amy, Ashley and Shana. They were all amazing! I appreciated so much that they cared about me as a person and not just another patient. Shana did my ultrasounds, Amy and Ashley met with me after each ultrasound to help me understand my next steps and Sandy helped with my egg retrieval. They all went above and beyond making me feel comfortable and confident in my treatment.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I think The Fertility Center's biggest strength is definitely the staff. From the front desk through checkout, they are friendly and helpful! It is also a very clean and updated facility. I think a weakness would be billing. It's confusing and not always explained well. Definitely remember to be your own advocate and make sure that your bills are what you were expecting. If not, ask questions!!
Including our initial appt to discuss treatment options, my husbands sperm extraction, my preliminary testing, hysteroscopy surgery, multiple ultrasounds, injections/medications, retrieval, transfer, and embryo storage fees we have probably spent close to $20,000 at this point.
I appreciate that Dr. Dodds allowed us to make most of our decisions. I never felt like we were being questioned or steered in a different direction than what we wanted. He allowed us to make the decision to transfer 2 embryos.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Dodds is extremely knowledgeable and experienced. Sometimes I feel he is spread thin but when you are meeting with him he is full of honest feedback, compassion, and makes you feel at ease about whatever choices you make... Dr. Dodds discounted our next IVF if we chose to do it.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Write down questions and don't be afraid to ask for more details if you want more. Don't be afraid to call and ask questions in between visits, or for clarification.
The Kalamazoo office is small and personal. They write your name on the screen when you have ultrasounds. You see the same nurse each time (pending emergency exceptions). The GR office enters you as a number, and you see new nurses and each time (not entirely bad, but just the way it was).
When we first started seeing Dr. Dodds, we had no idea why we weren't conceiving. It had been 4-5 years of unprotected and later timed sex. At my normal OB/GYN we checked my fallopian tubes with dye for any blockages, and my husband had his sperm specimen looked at. All looked good, so he referred us to Dr. Dodds. We started out with getting blood tests to look for causes and mine all came back normal. I started taking oral pills, femara, and timed coitus for two cycles. Third cycle I started injectables (Follistim 75, cycle days 5-11) and created 4 follicles. We had an IUI and used vaginal progesterone. That did not work for us either. During the IUI we elected to have Husband's sperm looked at again. Nearly a month after our failed IUI I called and asked what his results were. We found out his count was low and he had a 1% morphology. I wish they would have told us that sooner. We did 2 more rounds of injectables (follistim 75, and 100) with IUI. We used Ovidrel and progesterone during those two as well. Finally after 8 months of failed pregnancy test we saw Dr. Dodds again and went over our plan. Apparently with Husband's counts and morphology we only had a 3% chance of success doing the past treatments. I wish we would have known that, we probably wouldn't have continued doing IUI's. Dr. suggested we go see a urologist and consider IVF. Husband went to urologist and found out he has varicocele veins in one testicle. We elected to have surgery to help with that and he began taking Clomid to boost his testosterone level. 3-4 months after his surgery and taking Clomid his counts and morphology were up in normal ranges. We tried naturally for 6 months. IVF #1 began with birth control pills, vitamins and giving up coffee. Our insurance covered some of the medicines for IUI but not any for IVF. My stim cycle consisted of 75 Menopur and 75 Follistim. Once my follicles got to a certain size we used Ganirelix to prevent early ovulation. We used hCG and Lupron to trigger. I had 25 eggs retrieved, 19 were mature, we chose to do ICSI to three of them and froze the rest of the eggs. All three fertilized. 1 arrested after day 1, 2 made it to day 2 and were transferred. Progesterone shot up until pregnancy test. Negative Pregnancy test. We decided to try to thaw some of our eggs and fertilize them. We had 16 frozen and they were frozen in vials of 3. A frozen transfer involves Lupron (SQ), progesterone, and estrace. We wanted to thaw enough eggs to fertilize three. We got a call saying they had to thaw all 16 of our eggs, and 14 did not survive the freeze/thaw. Two were ICSI and only one fertilized. By day two they transferred that one, but it did not look great. :( Negative pregnancy test. That brings us to current times. Due to the shocking egg dilemma, Dr. Dodds discounted our next IVF if we chose to do it. There is no way we could afford to do it again at full price. Husband's morphology went from 1% to 6% after his surgery so we chose to do 6 months of Femara and timed coitus. 6 negative pregnancy tests. That brings us to now. We are on IVF #2 where Dr. Dodds decided to try to stimulate me less, creating less, but hopefully better quality eggs. He also encouraged that we fertilized all of them, because fertilized eggs have a better chance of surviving in the freezer than do eggs alone. We started with birth control to regulate me. Then we stimmed with 75 Menopur, 75 Follistim. I used cetrotide to prevent premature ovulation and triggered with Lupron and hCG. At egg retrieval they retrieved 11 eggs. 3 were immature, 1 had a broken zona, and 7 were mature. 7 ICSI, 4 fertilized. We are going to day 5 so will continue to get updates. Tomorrow is day 2. I obviously do not have very high quality eggs, but we hope all four of these lovely fertilized eggs make it to day 5 blastocysts.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Julie Sokolow)
Before IVF, during my first five cycles of pills, timed coitus, injectables, and IUI's I had two nurses that handled my care. They were both attentive and had different personalities. One was warmer than the other. When I began IVF I was assigned an IVF nurse practitioner, Julie S. She is great. At first she comes off as unemotional or cold, but she is really just focused on your care. By the end she is all hugs and honesty. She never makes you feel stupid if you forget a direction and have to call her back. You will have her direct phone number and she is great at calling you back. She will make sure to contact you and get you directions, and never minds returning phone calls. The only downside is having to go to GR on days that Kalamazoo is not open.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinics strengths are multiple locations. A weakness is that sometimes I feel like I can get lost in all the hussle and bustle. I have had residents training on me instead of a doctor (always with my permission), and sometimes I feel like a direction gets passed and the follow through may have been missed. I hate having to explain what the doctor told me to the nurse or the billing department.
IUI's were about 450$ (sperm isolation and prep, and IUI). Freezing sperm 400$. 8,000-14,000$ for IVF (medications, appointments, bloodwork, egg retrieval, lab work, ICSI, crypo...) 400$ anesthesia.
My doctor's goal is to give you one, healthy, chubby baby. With that said he was not overly pushy with either single or multiple. We discussed my options and came to a fair agreement based on my age, quality of embryos, and past treatments.
Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
He [Dr. William Dodds] is direct and very smart. He listens to me and provides reasonable options. Overall, I feel like I am in very capable hands, maybe because I know so many others that have had success with him. The only downside would be not getting to meet with him often. When scheduling a consult with him, you generally have to book about a month in advance.
Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He is direct and very smart. He listens to me and provides reasonable options. Overall, I feel like I am in very capable hands, maybe because I know so many others that have had success with him. The only downside would be not getting to meet with him often. When scheduling a consult with him, you generally have to book about a month in advance.
He is willing to listen to you and won't make you wait around to get moving forward if that is what you want.
Rarely see Dr. Dodds for appts but when I do he is fully engaged in my treatment
He first ordered bloodwork, SA, and HSG for diagnostic testing. It was determined I have a heart-shaped (bicornuate uterus), otherwise we were unexlained. Multiples is a big risk with this condition, so he made sure to start me out on the lowest dose of Femara. I ovulated each cycle, but usually anywhere from CD16-22, so we wanted to increase our chances a little and have ovulation happen sooner. He had me come in for one midcycle US and we were able to adjust meds to get results we wanted. After 4 cycles on femara, we met with him and he offered IUI or IVF. I was close to overproducing a couple times (and again multiples is risky for me), so IVF would be more predictable. We decided to do IUIs first. We added in injectables to help with egg quality and ended up having to cancel our first month due to overproducing. After that, he had me come in a lot earlier and more frequent to monitor closely. We have done 2 IUIs now and waiting on the results of the second. Pro would be he doesn't have you come in unnecessarily, con is obviously one cycle was cancelled when I overproduced. They are willing to let you come in more often if you wish though (I came in a lot after my cacelled cycle so they could watch closely).
There are a lot and thry are all super nice and helpful. I do sometimes feel like I have to remind some of them about certain unique parts of my treatment.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Great staff, although sometimes tough to get through on the phone immediately to someone (obviuosly not including emergencies). Often I have to leave a message amd wait for a call back to schedule or to have questions answered. But, everyone is always helpful! They run things efficiently and are always on time.
IVF for healthy 28-30y.o. was about 8-10K. IUI ended up being about 1.5K per cycle. Medicated cycles alone were pretty cheap, usually 100-200.
Grand Rapids
he [Dr. William Dodds] described our first cycle plan with clomid with the purpose of doing an IUI. There were so many dates, and dosages, and steps to remember...He scratched illegible notes on a daily chart he gave us, and had us follow up with the nurse in a different room. We ended having a million questions for her that she had to go ask Dr Dodds about anyway. After we had a failed IVF, there was an awkward meeting with another Dr in the clinic, where he admitted that they probably didn't give the best medication protocol
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I described a lot in my last answer already. Of course, it's easier to describe the things that were off putting, than remember all of the good things. So, I'll describe two things that were on the negative side: On the first visit was a little odd that Dr. Dodds spoke a lot about how he used to practice in California and that he treated famous people (with success) and that he was such a geek that he didn't recognize who they were. It would have been funny, but he talked a lot about it. Also on that visit, he described our first cycle plan with clomid with the purpose of doing an IUI. There were so many dates, and dosages, and steps to remember. Also the office in Kalamazoo doesn't offer all of the services, like the actual IUI, so it was hard to remember where we would need to travel to other offices for what, or what days. He scratched illegible notes on a daily chart he gave us, and had us follow up with the nurse in a different room. We ended having a million questions for her that she had to go ask Dr Dodds about anyway. After we had a failed IVF, there was an awkward meeting with another Dr in the clinic, where he admitted that they probably didn't give the best medication protocol, and hinted that they would discuss in their group doctor biweekly meeting if they could help us at all with a future cycle (financially), but this help was mentioned again.
Prepare to have your treatment be really inconvenient if you work. Their Kalamazoo office hours are very limited, as are the services performed there. Their main office is in Grand Rapids. The thing is, there are no other RE offices in the county. I know the question says one piece of advice, but I have another note: especially if your insurance doesn't cover treatment, it can be very pricey. I was surprised though that the charges were less than what I had read on the internet were typical. Dr Dodds said their board of trustees makes sure they hold to something like cost + 10% for all charges.
Dr Dodds has always been friendly and open to myself and my husband. I appreciated when he would say things like "if you were my daughter, this is the advice I would give you." He also did wonders in helping my husband in understanding of all of this infertility madness. He explained the gravity of things, like going in hot tubs, that just was not sinking in when coming from me, or from the articles I had tried to get him to read. I felt like he gave us the right amount of optimism without over promising.
Antagonist protocol for IVF. Recommendation for microdose Lupron flare protocol for next cycle IVF. I recently got a Fertility case manager through my health insurance. This is when I learned that only doing 3 day transfers is not standard practice. I'm waiting to talk to the clinic about why they have not talked to be about 5 day transfer.
There are several nurses that attend to non IVF patients, so I saw about 4 or 5 different nurses. When I became an IVF patients, there are a few dedicated. They were always very nice and compassionate. Sometimes I felt like they were rushed, more so on phone calls than in person. When you call, you always have to leave a message and wait for a call back. I would sometimes be playing 3 or 4 rounds of phone tag. That is really hard when I'm busy at work. I have to note that on the first visit, with my husband, we met with a nurse who was usually in the Grand Rapids office. She was honestly clueless. Every question we asked, such as "where would my husband go with a sperm analysis" meant she had to leave the room and ask the doctor. If I asked, for example which day we would start clomid, she would say "I think it's day 3". I think, or I'm pretty sure are not good enough in this context! I never saw that nurse again and never had wishy washy, uninformed answers from other nurses. Calling and leaving messages is the only option for communication. The exception is during IVF cycle, they have Grand Rapids nurses on call so you can get a call back at any time you have questions. I was really happy to get a quick call back from a nurse to ask dosage questions.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Small regional office, which is a satellite from the main Grand Rapids office. It is a specialized reproductive endocrinology practice. They don't have mental health support, except in Grand Rapids. I contacted that person (twice) about any options for me not being local and never heard back. They don't assess men thoroughly. They didn't mention that the critical morphology was very low until 2nd IUI. They advised against needing to see urologist, but he did anyway and ended up having varicocele in both testicles. I assume this is because they don't put weight on this as a important factor.
HSG was over $1000. Each ultrasound is about $300 (2-3 per cycle). Clomid = $24. Gonal-f was $500. Blood tests are about $250 each cycle. In my first 6 months of treatment it cost approx $2000 total for two cancelled IUI cycles. IUI about 5k each with medications IVF with ICSI close to 20k with medications, monitoring, anesthesia, and blood tests
Kalamazoo
Dr. Dodds wanted to make sure we were happy with the treatment path, he gave us options that were more conservative, then let us choose how long we wanted to try each treatment before finally moving on to IVF. He is honest in what he thinks will or won't work, and he's compassionate and there to help in the ultimate goal of baby.
Let him know if you do not want all the details, he explained everything very well to us. Take notes if you need to. You can always call the office if you forgot something that was talked about in the appointment. He is confident because he is good at what he does, and he will work hard to find out what is causing your infertility and how best to treat you based on what YOU want (continuing with conservative treatments versus moving up to IVF or the like).
chatted with us in his office, explained things very well when we wanted to know more detail. Communicated with referring provider.
Nurses always answered as many questions as we had, and if you thought of something later they always called back in a timely manner. They were always patient and compassionate. Very knowledgable.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic was a typical physician's office, the waiting room is a little more cozy than most (but we aren't going to the waiting room huh). Patient rooms were fine. It is nice to move to a consult room to talk with the staff instead of keeping you in your gown in a room.
My very rough guess for one round of IVF + ICSI, including meds, monitoring and egg retrieval was around $15-17k. They were great at working with insurance if anything was covered. We had a small portion of monitoring and meds covered but pretty much all of it was out of pocket.
3 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Immunological
Dr. Dodds is amazing. At first he can seem a bit cold/impersonal, but if you enjoy someone who is blunt but compassionate, he's the doctor for you. And if you fall into the category of "long time" patients, he will become your best ally and an amazing support system...Dr. Dodds is invested in his patients' successes. He's willing to think outside the box and explore alternative treatment options when the first few fail...PCOS patient- used both an estrogen priming protocol (poor egg quality) and an agonist protocol.
3 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Give him time. He's amazing once you get to know him.
PCOS patient- used both an estrogen priming protocol (poor egg quality) and an agonist protocol. Once we moved on to FETs exclusively, we added in the resistant uterine protocol, and eventually some stronger immune treatments (IV lipids, high dose steroids, injectable blood thinners) since we couldn't pinpoint a cause for our recurrent losses.
Everyone on the nursing staff is amazing. They held us as we cried after every loss, and celebrated with us the day we finally graduated to our OB with our rainbow pregnancy.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is small enough to keep it intimate and personal, but large enough that they're on the cutting edge of technology such as time lapse. My only complaint is their strong preference for day 2 transfers instead of blast culture.
Their costs are listed on their website. Over the course of 5 years, we spent close to $40,000 between IUI cycles, 2 IVF retrievals, 4 frozen transfers, and 2 donor embryo IVF cycles.
Dr. Dodds strongly advocated for eSET since it does not impact live birth rate, but decreases your risk of multiples.
2013 - 2016
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Occasionally we felt as though Dr. Dodd's had a general statement he said to everyone, didn't feel too individualized. But that doesn't factor into how he provides care....Lupron flare protocol is what worked best for good embryos for me and resulted in pregnancy each time. I also used human growth hormone the second cycle and believe it worked very well for my diagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve/poor responde
2013 - 2016
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
We are forever thankful to Dr. Dodd's for his expertise and experience. He is honest and trustworthy in managing care.
Write a list of questions before hand and bring them to appointments with you.
Lupron flare protocol is what worked best for good embryos for me and resulted in pregnancy each time. I also used human growth hormone the second cycle and believe it worked very well for my diagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve/poor responder.
IVF patients have a separate line for questions and nurses. They all know your cycle and there is only one that is hard to understand/more difficult to communicate with.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Having two insurances has always been confusing for the billing department here. I feel like I have to constantly remind them to bill the second insurance. Other times I would get a bill for balance after one insurance company was billed but before the second one could respond for payment or non payment.
Ultrasounds were scheduled at a hospital closer in location to where I live for my convenience.
Each patient is different for costs as well as procedures needed.
Grand Rapids
He [Dr. Dodds] was really personal, kind and was looking out for our best interest...I think he is very good and effective at what he does. He is kind and has a very good outlook. He is very knowledgeable and seemed like he could treat whatever we had. He always seemed hopeful which helped us. When choosing our course of action he made sure that we wouldn’t waste our time.
Ask questions.
He was really personal, kind and was looking out for our best interest.
I don’t remember exactly. We did IU and was put on 50 mg of clomid. He wanted more than one egg for a better chance of fertilization. Then we would try IUI. If the sperm wash gave a decent number we would try again. If it didn’t we would be done.
I had multiple problems/ lots of pain and every time I talked to the nurses they were very dismissive. They weren’t kind and didn’t really seem to care about my feelings. With failed IUIs and cancelled cycles they weren’t compassionate at all.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
No procedures actually happen in the kalamazoo office. We saw the doctor for original consults but haven’t seen him again. The nurses were not very compassionate but since this was the only clinic on this side of the state we stayed
Other, Unexplained
Dr. Dodds is always friendly and compassionate. He will not sugar-coat anything and will make sure you understand what will happen. It is clear that he wants you to succeed. He sometimes talks very fast and about clinical/medical things that are over your head, but he is very passionate about what he does....Don't be afraid to ask questions and tell him to slow down if you don't understand something....After 5 failed IUIs (using Clomid or Femara), we chose to go ahead with IVF to increase our chances.
Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dodds is always personable and doesn't just talk medical stuff.
After 5 failed IUIs (using Clomid or Femara), we chose to go ahead with IVF to increase our chances. Thebfresh transfer failed. The FET resulted in a blighted ovum. There are no known fertility issues.
They are always friendly and helpful.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are one of the cheaper IVF clinics, but this is because they do two-day embryo transfers and very little monitoring. They have a small staff of only 3-4 doctors, so it is sometimes difficult to get on the schedule. They also produce a lot of twin pregnancies as they recommend transferring two embryos.
Over $30,000 so far
They recommend transferring two two-day embryos. They have a high result of twins because of this. We know several couples personally who have twins from this practice who have no known fertility issues (lesbian couples) and are not advanced maternal age. The clinic doesn't normally grown embryos to day five, with the theory that the embryos do better the sooner you transfer them back. These strategies seem to help with cost saving more than actual outcomes.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Surrogacy
He [Dr. Dodd] was very kind. Good bedside manners and explained procedures and tests thoroughly. While I knew he was very busy I never felt like he was rushed to see the next patient. He was also very professional and kind given our situation with a gestational carrier, who happened to be a friend...Always very kind. Called me personally after each loss.... Sometimes difficult when calling into the office as our situation included our gestational carrier. Even though we signed releases they still had to speak with her first about everything - including pregnancy results, which was frustrating.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Surrogacy
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He was very kind. Good bedside manners and explained procedures and tests thoroughly. While I knew he was very busy I never felt like he was rushed to see the next patient. He was also very professional and kind given our situation with a gestational carrier, who happened to be a friend.
Have honest expectations of the process. Not everything is an exact science and the doctors do everything in their power to provide you with the best possible outcomes.
Always very kind. Called me personally after each loss.
Nurses were fantastic in the office. Sometimes difficult when calling into the office as our situation included our gestational carrier. Even though we signed releases they still had to speak with her first about everything - including pregnancy results, which was frustrating.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Friendly staff. Somewhat frustrating with gestational carrier situations as they call carrier first with all results. With pregnancy results it was hard to wait for results until she was notified first.
Roughly 18-20k
Dr Doods and the team only ever encouraged single embryo transfer due to our age and health. I agreed with this advice.
2013 - 2015
When I was told that our pregnancy didn't survive, that it was an empty sac, the Dr [Dr Dodds] had a student in there and the Dr seemed to be showing off and not very compassionate...We were devastated and he was very non compassionate.
2013 - 2015
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Very non compassionate when finding out pregnancy did not survive. We were devastated and he was very non compassionate.
None
When I was told that our pregnancy didn't survive, that it was an empty sac, the Dr had a student in there and the Dr seemed to be showing off and not very compassionate.
I took injectable medications for ovarian stimulation and had transvaginal ultrasounds every 2 to 3 days to monitor follicles. I then had egg retrieval process that was extremely painful as I was awake the entire time. They were unable to get to my right ovary where most of my eggs were due to it being swollen or in a position behind my uterus. The 6 embryos we had were fertilized but by transfer day (3), only 1 survived and was grade C. The embryo was successful and we were over the moon with excitement. However, our ultrasound appt revealed an empty sac. We were very devastated. I did not miscarry on my own after 4 weeks and required a D and C.
Very compassionate
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Compassion as a weakness with Dr Dodds. Dr Shively whom performed embryo transfer was very kind as was the nursing staff. make sure you ask questions
Very convenient
IVF total with medication $10k
Grand Rapids
Dr. Dodds and the entire staff [the Fertility Center] is so caring and truly walk beside you during the whole journey...Dr. Dodds was the main doctor in charge of us. We had different doctors for the retrieval and transfer but all the doctors and staff were great to work with. It is not just a job ... it is their passion....They are very clean and organized. We hardly ever had to wait long at all for appointments. They took time to meet with us after each appointment and made sure we understood.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Be ready for a journey full of ups and downs. Stay connected with your spouse and know that you are in the best medical practice you can be in.
Dr. Dodds and the entire staff is so caring and truly walk beside you during the whole journey.
IVF shots (especially Gonal F) Retrieval Surgery Transfer
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sandy )
Sandy and all the nurses were very understanding of all our questions and took the time to really care for us.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are very clean and organized. We hardly ever had to wait long at all for appointments. They took time to meet with us after each appointment and made sure we understood. The clinic is very professional and all works together like a very strong team.
Cost for surgery, transfer, meds, dr appointments, ultrasounds, bloodwork
Grand Rapids
Limited amount of time was spent face to face. If we wanted to schedule a consult there was an extra fee. Majority of communication was with nurses. Only saw Dodds briefly on the day of retrieval. He did not know the plan to freeze all embryos until he read my chart in the room before the retrieval....Dr. Dodds did not remember specifics to my case. Always had to refer to my chart....Birth control for 3 weeks Gonal f and menopur for stims Lupron and Hcg for trigger Fresh cycle was cancelled due to high progesterone, switched to a frozen cycle.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Ask all the questions you can when you have the chance.
Birth control for 3 weeks Gonal f and menopur for stims Lupron and Hcg for trigger Fresh cycle was cancelled due to high progesterone, switched to a frozen cycle. We are waiting to hear how many eggs fertilized.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Julie)
Julie is very blunt and not very warm or friendly.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Location is close to our house. Clinic is clean. Usually flexible with scheduling and will return calls promptly. Appreciate free counseling service.
He waffled between one and two at our first meeting. Then our nurse said he recommended two, never heard the rational behind his decision.
Kalamazoo
Dr. Dodds actually sat down to speak with me about all options possible. Only downside to me is, I would like to see more of him when cycles dont work to explain a better solution instead of using his nurses...Most of my cycles consisted of taking Femara cd3-7 then doing Gonal F injections cd7-14 then on cd25 i would take the trigger shot. Never got a positive pregnancy test on any cycle.
Black or African-American, Other
That Dr. Dodds actually cares about his patients
They talked to me, not at me and answered all my questions.
All his nurses are extremely awesome and have great attitudes.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Clinic is very clean, neat and the staff there is very friendly and well mannered. They get to know each patient to make you feel comfortable. They treat you as a human and not like a number. Theres nothing i would change about this clinic or staff.
Femara - $100/cycle Gonal F - $600/cycle Trigger shot - $200/cycle Blood work and Ultrasounds were covered by insurance (no longer have).
2011 - 2017
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
He [Dr. William Dodds] does very well trying to get you pregnant. He sits at your level and talks to you like a person. He shows he cares and he does his best with what he has in front of him. He let me ask whatever questions is have and allows me to be myself.
2011 - 2017
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He does very well trying to get you pregnant. He sits at your level and talks to you like a person. He shows he cares and he does his best with what he has in front of him. He let me ask whatever questions is have and allows me to be myself.
To come prepared with lots of questions and knowledge
He talked to me at my level and allowed me to ask lots of questions
He started with injections and ultrasounds and then did iris with injections.
Most of the staff is amazing but we had one nurse who was rude and inconsiderate
Everything has been great
Most everything was covered under my insurance. What isn't covered was iui and ivf
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr. Dodds got to know us and our situation. He was optimistic and yet realistic about our chances of conceiving.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He is so kind and genuinely caring. You can tell he had a passion for helping couples achieve families.
Come prepared with questions
Dr Dodds got to know us and our situation. He was optimistic and yet realistic about our chances of conceiving.