5.2

Traverse City
1200 6th Street
Traverse City, MI 49684

Treated 2019 - 2020
Dr. Dodds always addresses me by my first name throughout our conversations and looks me in the eyes whenever he is speaking to me. This makes me feel as though he is engaged in the conversation and not just going through the motions. He consistently explains everything fully and answers my questions until I am satisfied with the responses. He is always sympathetic when I return for treatment, and he genuinely seems to want me to have a successful pregnancy. I really feel as if he has a vested interest in me as a person and a future parent.
I saw ~6 nurses over the course of my 4 IUIs [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]. Most of the nurses were both knowledgeable and had a caring bedside manner. However, there were 1-2 nurses that were unable to answer my questions (and would not admit that they did not know the answer) and had more of an abrupt manner...Each IUI was ~$250...A lot of the individual treatment information is provided either verbally or in hand-written notes rather than prescribed packets or post-visit documentation tied to your patient account (that you can access as a patient). This can make your treatment confusing after you leave the clinic, although nurses are always happy to clarify if you call. The second downside to this clinic is their limited hours. If you need treatment information over the weekend, you must call their emergency line, and they may not respond until Monday (holidays are even worse). In addition, if yo
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodds is very caring and experienced. He founded the clinic, and I believe he has been a reproductive endocrinologist for approximately 30 years. In addition, he specializes in PCOS, my fertility issue. Therefore, I have a great deal of confidence in his ability to maximize my potential to be a parent. The only negative comment I have about Dr. Dodds is that I think is so knowledgeable that he sometimes forgets that I (as a patient) am not. He is always happy to clarify any confusion, but the first time he explains something, it is not always clear (e.g., certain details are missing or he mentions a term we had not previously discussed).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
If you have any questions or need clarification, please ask. Dr. Dodds wants to ensure all his patients have a clear understanding of their treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the protocols William Dodds used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
I did 4 IUI cycles. 3 were with Femara (5 mg for 5 days) and Estrace (vaginally) because of a thin uterine lining on ultrasound. Estrace was taken before and after IUI. For one of the cycles, I did a stepwise Femara cycle, as the first 5 days did not produce mature follicles. This resulted in the production of mature follicles after the stepwise administration. For the 4th IUI, I took Femara (5 mg for 5 days) and Gonal-F (75 IU) injections prior to IUI. For all IUIs, I did an Ovidrel injection 48 hours prior to the IUI.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I saw ~6 nurses over the course of my 4 IUIs. Most of the nurses were both knowledgeable and had a caring bedside manner. However, there were 1-2 nurses that were unable to answer my questions (and would not admit that they did not know the answer) and had more of an abrupt manner.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic has a long history and many patients, so I feel that overall, this facility has the collective experience and knowledge that makes me confident in obtaining a positive treatment outcome. However, there are aspects of this center that are quite unorganized. A lot of the individual treatment information is provided either verbally or in hand-written notes rather than prescribed packets or post-visit documentation tied to your patient account (that you can access as a patient). This can make your treatment confusing after you leave the clinic, although nurses are always happy to clarify if you call. The second downside to this clinic is their limited hours. If you need treatment information over the weekend, you must call their emergency line, and they may not respond until Monday (holidays are even worse). In addition, if you have a full-time job, you should be prepared to miss work, as all treatments are done during the business day (8:30AM-3:30PM only). Finally, the billing department is incredibly disorganized, so you should be prepared to essentially keep meticulous track of your own financial accounting.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Each IUI was ~$250.
Grand Rapids
Dr. Dodds wants to try two cycles of hybrid medications with IUI to increase my chances of conceiving. I will be using Femara 5.0, and Gonal F at 450iu at 75iu per injection for a few days days, and a trigger shot of Ovidrel at 250 mcg/.5 ml He also gave me the success rates for all of the options that he gave me (such as, I could try Laproscopic surgery to check for endo but it would only increase my chances of conceiving by about 20%, or I could do the hybrid and IUI which on average 60% conceive within 3 cycles, or IVF which is a 60% change on the first try no matter if I have endo or anything else, with the added bonus of having egg retrieval and FET at the age of 32 instead of later in life, especially with my low ovarian reserve.
it is a nice sized clinic [The Fertility Center of MI-Kalamazoo] but it is kind of like a satellite clinic, they can do consultations,ultrasounds etc. there but for anything else you might need or want done ( IUI, HSG, IVF) you have to go to Grand Rapids to do. Which at times can make for time constraints especially for work hours. The clinic is also only open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (which isn't a problem for me but I could see it causing issues for some people depending on their work schedule or commute time)
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodds was very well spoken and personable, he told me the findings of my blood work and what was normal or abnormal and what he thought we needed to work on. He have me several different options as to what my next steps should be, but also rated them as what he would "suggest if I were his own child" . He made it very clear that he wanted to get me to what my husband and my goal of having a child in the most cost effective and healthy way possible.
He is very open and will explain anything that you want/need.
Dr. Dodds took the time to look at my information and decide what he thought was the best for me, he was caring but also to the point. He seemed sincere and concerned for my best interest in all aspects.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Everyone was very sensitive and supportive, every time I go into the clinic I feel at ease and supported, everyone is very sensitive to the situation and you feel like they are all rooting for you to win
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
it is a nice sized clinic, but it is kind of like a satellite clinic, they can do consultations,ultrasounds etc. there but for anything else you might need or want done ( IUI, HSG, IVF) you have to go to Grand Rapids to do. Which at times can make for time constraints especially for work hours. The clinic is also only open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (which isn't a problem for me but I could see it causing issues for some people depending on their work schedule or commute time)
with no insurance coverage, my consultation was around $240, ultrasound runs around $275, medication costs Femara $6, Ovidrel $100 Gonal-F $450, Initial consultation was $375, Blood work all together was around $600
Describe William Dodds's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Kalamazoo
We had our egg retrieval [with Dr. Dodds] and got 22 follicles 18 were mature, 14 were fertilized, 2 were implanted and 11 were frozen. We resulted in a positive pregnancy but at the 6 week ultrasound it wasn't looking good. I continued to take progesterone injections and at our follow up ultrasound we found both embryos implanted but we're not viable and I miscarried...Was very knowledgeable and seemed honest with us every time we spoke. He seemed to really want to help us with our family and offered different suggestions we could take. He left a lot up to us on how quickly we wanted to move forward and supported any decisions we made for our treatments.
They [staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan] seemed to care about our situation and we're hopeful with helping us on our infertility journey...[nurses were] Very helpful with any situation. Always returned my calls when I had any questions I had regarding our procedure to make sure I was still following our plan and things were progressing normally...The only thing was when we had our miscarriage after our first IVF procedure [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] it was much harder to receive help...
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
They seemed to care about our situation and we're hopeful with helping us on our infertility journey.
We started with 3 rounds of femara resulted all negative pregnancy tests, had an HSG done results were normal. I started IVF procedures with injections in the morning and also in the evening. I don't remember every injection but was closely monitored by blood work and ultrasounds every other day. Once we got the okay I had a trigger shot and another injection. We had our egg retrieval and got 22 follicles 18 were mature, 14 were fertilized, 2 were implanted and 11 were frozen. We resulted in a positive pregnancy but at the 6 week ultrasound it wasn't looking good. I continued to take progesterone injections and at our follow up ultrasound we found both embryos implanted but we're not viable and I miscarried.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Great at providing a way to get pregnant. Offers many more options and insight that regular ob's are not able to do. The only thing was when we had our miscarriage after our first IVF procedure it was much harder to receive help. There were other circumstances and factors that occurred during this time which made it more difficult. In hindsight I would have found a better OB sooner to help with the process.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I was given a few options based on availability and I picked what I was able to do between my work schedule and office hours.
With our original insurance we had all of our procedures covered outside of a minor copay for each appointment. With our new insurance they do not work with so everything is now out of pocket even though our current insurance offers fertility treatments the same as our previous insurance it's just now out of network.

Treated 2015 - 2018
Dr. Dodds honestly cares about the end result and how it’s effecting you. He’s gone out of his way to personally pick up the phone in good and bad circumstances.... Dr. Dodds is willing to explore all avenues and alters your treatment as needed. I have noticed that amongst friends going through treatment, he does work through trends in the market (uterine scratch, embryogen, etc.). He is upbeat and has positive relations with his team at the clinic.
The office team [The Fertility Center of Michigan] up front seems to change regularly but there are a couple of key long term employees I’ve noticed....Shana, the ultrasound tech, is the best! She is so sweet and knowledgeable.... My primary nurse, Sandy, was excellent....There are a couple nurses on the team that I would not rate as high either due to competency or low sensitivity.... I question the ability of the lab with ICSI. I need to research their success rates in comparison to other labs but I lost a lot of eggs after attempting ICSI fertilization.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Do your research and go through every option that you have available to you. For example: ICSI, time lapsed photography, genetic testing. Decide what is right for you and ask the hard questions including success rates with each treatment.
For our IVF cycle we did ICSI (which is apparently used on 90% or so patients at TFC), time lapsed photography (differentiates between quality and keeps them in one enclosed space versus taking them out to check under a microscope), day 3 transfer (standard at this clinic), and freeze all cycle (I was at risk for hyper stimulation).
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sandy)
My primary nurse, Sandy, was excellent. I felt that I was in great care with her from the beginning. There are a couple nurses on the team that I would not rate as high either due to competency or low sensitivity. I’d say the majority are above average in bedside manner though.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I question the ability of the lab with ICSI. I need to research their success rates in comparison to other labs but I lost a lot of eggs after attempting ICSI fertilization. The office team up front seems to change regularly but there are a couple of key long term employees I’ve noticed.
Shana, the ultrasound tech, is the best! She is so sweet and knowledgeable.
I became pregnant with twins after the first transfer (two embryos). We lost both of them at eight weeks. Therefore, knowing that pregnancy can occur, we opted for a single on the second transfer. Pregnancy did not occur, however.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I was overstimulated even on a low dose. This caused my estrogen levels to skyrocket. They chose to move me over to a freeze-all cycle. In some regard, a freeze-all actually worked out better for me though because I felt recovered before allowing the transfer.
Grand Rapids
I have only seen Dr. Dodds once, but he was pretty good when we met with him. He met with us in his office instead of an exam room. He took the time to review all of my previous tests and surgery.... I did feel like he was a little matter of fact and didn't explain things in great detail. He just laid out the plan and gave us the next step. I left a little bit confused and felt a little like we had been rushed into moving forward with an IUI.
It's a great clinic [Fertility Ctr of MI], but it's very big. I was hoping for more of a compassionate atmosphere, but it's pretty business-like. I do appreciate that some of the front desk ladies have started to recognize me.... Some of the nurses were friendlier than others. They all seemed to be very knowledgeable and I felt comfortable with their recommendations. They were always very matter of fact and never really asked me about how I was doing though. T
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I have only seen Dr. Dodds once, but he was pretty good when we met with him. He met with us in his office instead of an exam room. He took the time to review all of my previous tests and surgery. He asked us about our jobs. He had a connection to the place where my husband works and he told a long story about that. I appreciated that he waited until the end of the appointment to talk to us about that. I did feel like he was a little matter of fact and didn't explain things in great detail. He just laid out the plan and gave us the next step. I left a little bit confused and felt a little like we had been rushed into moving forward with an IUI.
Make sure you ask questions! We didn't really know what to ask at the time but we felt like we left with more questions than answers.
Dr. Dodds took the time to talk to us about our jobs and life.
Dr. Dodds suggested that we start moving forward with an IUI. He put me on Femara, an ovidrel injection, and progesterone. He didn't really explain what each of these did or why I was taking them. After my husband and I discussed it, we weren't comfortable moving forward with the IUI right away. I called back and talked to a nurse about it. We decided to try timed intercourse first. So, she said to take the Femara and the progesterone, but I could wait on the Ovidrel. I went in for a mid-cycle ultrasound and the nurse told me when to have intercourse. After a negative pregnancy test that month, we decided to go forward with the IUI. Then it was back to the Femara, Ovidrel, and Progesterone. Then a mid-cycle ultrasound and the insemination. The Progesterone gave me really bad side effects so after I called and asked, my dosage was reduced by half and that seemed to help. I got another negative pregnancy test, so we started all over again. I am currently scheduled for another IUI later this week.
Some of the nurses were friendlier than others. They all seemed to be very knowledgeable and I felt comfortable with their recommendations. They were always very matter of fact and never really asked me about how I was doing though. This is a very emotional experience and I would have liked that to be acknowledged a little more.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It's a great clinic, but it's very big. I was hoping for more of a compassionate atmosphere, but it's pretty business-like. I do appreciate that some of the front desk ladies have started to recognize me.
My initial appointment and ultrasounds are covered by insurance. The IUI procedure was $500. The meds were ordered through a pharmacy and were $100-$200 each cycle.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I had a blood test done that I never got the results for. I finally had to ask about it a month later.
Treated 2017 - 2018
I was provided information [by Dr. William Dodds] on the risks of single vs. multiple and the recommended number to implant based on my age...altered treatment for my second round of IVF to achieve better results. He is friendly and willing to answer any questions. However, it did not seem like he knew me as a patient and what my experience was and needed to go through my chart right before meeting me.
Even though I met with several nurses [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] over the course of treatment, they each were kind, knowledgeable, and were able to answer any questions I had. They took my concerns seriously and accommodated me as needed...There was just some miscommunication this last cycle with the medications I was supposed to be on and when I was supposed to start. It is unclear if it was more the pharmacy's fault or the clinic's, but it was stressful not receiving medications until the day before I was supposed to start my medications.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodds is very knowledgeable and has lots of experience. He is compassionate in the room and will call depending on the result. He also provides hope for future round of treatment. It may be that he has too many patients, as it seemed as though he did not remember me and needed to look over my chart prior to each meeting.
Make sure to ask lots of questions.
Dr. Dodds altered treatment for my second round of IVF to achieve better results. He is friendly and willing to answer any questions. However, it did not seem like he knew me as a patient and what my experience was and needed to go through my chart right before meeting me.
For my first IVF cycle - I was on the antagonist protocol with Cetrotide, Menopur and Gonal-F. This produced 13 eggs, 8 fertilized and 4 embryos. We transferred two on a fresh cycle and two on a frozen cycle on none of them stuck. For my second cycle (current), I am on the microdose flare Lupron protocol. Three days after stopping birth control I start on 20 units of microdose Lupron twice a day. Two days of that I began 450 IU of Gonal F in the evenings. I have also had an endo scratch and will use Embryogen for this cycle in order to help with implantation. Egg retrieval is in 2-3 days.
Even though I met with several nurses over the course of treatment, they each were kind, knowledgeable, and were able to answer any questions I had. They took my concerns seriously and accommodated me as needed.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is very efficient in terms of planning for treatment and getting you in for ultrasounds and blood work. They meet with you after most appointments to make sure you are clear are the next steps. In terms of weaknesses, there was some miscommunication with the pharmacy regarding my medication and sometimes it can be difficult to get answers regarding insurance issues. But, overall, they care about their patients and want success for everyone.
IVF treatment with ICSI was around $9000; ultrasounds and blood work were separate costs. Medication was between $2800-$3400
I was provided information on the risks of single vs. multiple and the recommended number to implant based on my age.
Grand Rapids

Very nice and great bedside manner. He [Dr. William Dodds] is realistic but after 2 failed transfers he is not changing anything and that is frustrating. Clear with his plan of action and answered all questions. Did feel slightly rushed when seeing him.... I did the GnRH antagonist protocol due to my low ovarian reserve (low AMH) and the results were 12 eggs total with 1 immature, 1 did not fertilize and 10 fertilized embryos. We did use ICSI as our choice to increase our odds to be able to freeze our embryos. No male factor with my husband. He transferred two and froze 8. The goal was to have enough embryos to have for all children desired as my ovarian reserve will continue to decrease and IVF in the future might not produce as many eggs.
I do not have any negatives to say about any of the staff at The Fertility Center. All were kind, excellent communicators, compassionate, concise, knowledgeable.... Able to get you in for a visit in a reasonable amount of time, awesome staff, fair prices, straight forward billing, counseling available, quick phone calls back and caring doctors. At this time there are no weaknesses.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Very nice and great bedside manner. He is realistic but after 2 failed transfers he is not changing anything and that is frustrating. Clear with his plan of action and answered all questions. Did feel slightly rushed when seeing him.
Very kind and compassionate for what you are going through. Knowledgeable.
Very personable and funny.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I have Blue Care Network Nurse office visits-copay $10 Doctor office visits-co-pay $40.00 Ultrasounds were partly covered- out of pocket was approx $30.00 per US All labs were covered but had to use an outside lab--could not have blood drawn in the office. Hysterscopy with Dye was partly covered by insurance--approx $300.00 out of pocket Hysteroscopy with saline-partly covered but out of pocket was $100.00 Approx $8,000 for IVF, ICSI and transfer. Anesthesia was from an outside vendor and was $400.00 Medications ordered from outside pharmacy was approx $5000.00 for IVF (some were partly covered and some were covered but the out of pocket cost was more than the cash price so chose cash price). Endometrial Scratch-partly covered but approx $100.00 out of pocket 1st Transfer cost approx $5000.00 and medications an additional $250.00 through outside pharmacy.
He did not have any preference. He said due to my age we could choose 1-2 embryos to transfer and that our chance of pregnancy was higher, even with just one, as all my testing thus far was negative and I was 29 years of age.
Kalamazoo

Dr. Dodd’s is a great doctor. He didn’t beat around the bush. He told us where we were at and what we needed to do straight up, all while maintaining a warm and open approach. He made us feel very confident in him...For the fresh embryo transfer they prefer to transfer 2 embryos..... He took time to be with us and answer any and all questions we had the whole way through.
Our ART nurse Kim is extremely knowledgeable. She helped us get all of our appointments set up. She ordered all of the needed medications and helped us get discounts to offset the cost of the medications. She went through every step of the process in detail and answered every question. I left my ART meeting feeling completely confident in my IVF journey at The Fertility Center.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodd’s is a great doctor. He didn’t beat around the bush. He told us where we were at and what we needed to do straight up, all while maintaining a warm and open approach. He made us feel very confident in him and of The Fertility Center as a whole.
Come with lots of questions and ask about anything you are unsure or confused about.
Dr. Dodds always wanted to know about our lives and what was going on in them. He took time to be with us and answer any and all questions we had the whole way through.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The Fertility Clinic has a great ambiance. It’s very clean and very welcoming. The waiting area has numerous resources for those who are going through fertility assistance. The ladies at the front desk are always on top of there game and get you checked in very fast. All of my appointments have started within 15 minutes of my appointment time. They are very efficient and run things well.
IVF - ART consultation, egg retrieval, embryo transfer = $8,000 Sperm analysis, wash, and storage = $1000 Ultrasounds = $225 (before insurance) Storage of embryos $400 a year. $100 charged per quarter
For the fresh embryo transfer they prefer to transfer 2 embryos.
Treated 2014 - 2018
Dr. Dodd’s was very friendly and informative every step of the way. He was very compassionate when we had a miscarriage. He did adjust our meds protocol for our second retrieval which we had wonderful results with. However, I did always feel rushed during our consults...We moved onto IVF and the first retrieval gave us 4 embryos. We transferred two and I became pregnant with a singleton resulting in a miscarriage at 9weeks pregnant. We then transferred the last two 4 months laters, which resulted in a negative pregnancy test. A year later we started the retrieval process again and this time the started the drugs at a stronger dose to jump start my follicles and we received 9 embryos at a 3 day blast. We transferred 2 and one embryo split and I was pregnant with triplets. Unfortunately at 10 weeks I lost the faturnal Twins. However my 3rd baby grew strong and we now have a 6 week beautiful baby girl!
I felt that [The Fertility Center of Michigan] was thorough during our treatments and were compassionate during our miscarriage. The only improvement I would like to see is that the doctors do not seem like they are in a rush during consultation. I did feel rushed during those meetings...Nurse Sandy is an absolutely wonderful nurse and person! She went above and beyond for me and she was my rock through this whole process! She always made sure I understand all the meds and process and would take multiple calls from me while I was panicking and always made me feel better.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Be prepared with all your questions for him. So you feel informed of the process you are about to endure.
I felt that the fertility center was thorough during our treatments and were compassionate during our miscarriage. The only improvement I would like to see is that the doctors do not seem like they are in a rush during consultation. I did feel rushed during those meetings.
We started with IUI and gonal f shots. All resulting in a negative pregnancy test. We moved onto IVF and the first retrieval gave us 4 embryos. We transferred two and I became pregnant with a singleton resulting in a miscarriage at 9weeks pregnant. We then transferred the last two 4 months laters, which resulted in a negative pregnancy test. A year later we started the retrieval process again and this time the started the drugs at a stronger dose to jump start my follicles and we received 9 embryos at a 3 day blast. We transferred 2 and one embryo split and I was pregnant with triplets. Unfortunately at 10 weeks I lost the faturnal Twins. However my 3rd baby grew strong and we now have a 6 week beautiful baby girl!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are all friendly and accommodating. They are very open and will share their infertility stories with their patients. I do feel it would help the financial stress of this process if they allowed payment plans.
8,000 for the ART program. 5,000 medication 2,000 blood work /ultrasounds, etc.
Treated 2017 - 2018
He [Dr. Dodds] seems like a very nice man. He had a sense of humor that was refreshing.... Had decent beside manner, and didn't seem to rush us out the door. Took time to explain everything we were going to do... The blood work that he wanted me to get done. He put me on thyroid medication to try and correct my levels even though they were only slightly off. He laid out a plan for what we were going to do what days I needed to call the clinic, what days I would be taking my pills, what days I would be taking my shots.
The two ladies that I interacted with seem to be very kind and understanding. It's difficult to be in the office surounded by pictures of babies that this Clinic [Fertility Center of Michigan] has helped to bring into the world for other women when you still don't have your own. So I find myself crying a lot. And they are all very sweet and compassionate women that I've dealt with... Overall it is a wonderful place to go for infertility treatments.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He seems like a very nice man. He had a sense of humor that was refreshing. He is the second doctor that I've seen for infertility, and I would definitely say that he was the better of the two. He explained everything that we were going to be doing. The blood work that he wanted me to get done. He put me on thyroid medication to try and correct my levels even though they were only slightly off. He laid out a plan for what we were going to do what days I needed to call the clinic, what days I would be taking my pills, what days I would be taking my shots. Everything was well planned out. Overall I would say that he's a great doctor.
I would say that he is not going to lie to you so don't go in there expecting to hear exactly what you want to hear,because he's going to tell you the truth
The doctor I saw before William. Put me on Clomid for four Cycles. So when he saw that he decided that he would put me on Fermara. And I took that for one cycle I believe it was days 3 through 7. I came in to have an ultrasound done and my follicles measured and I can't remember what day that was. The day after I had my ultrasound I was instructed to use a trigger shot to force ovulation and I was instructed to have intercourse once every 24 hours for the next three days. No pregnancy resulted from this round of femara, so I went to Grand Rapids to have dye injected into my uterus and x-rays done to see if my tubes are blocked which they were not. I had some blood work done but I can't remember what that was for. Our next step is going to be IUI next month.
The two ladies that I interacted with seem to be very kind and understanding. It's difficult to be in the office surounded by pictures of babies that this Clinic has helped to bring into the world for other women when you still don't have your own. So I find myself crying a lot. And they are all very sweet and compassionate women that I've dealt with
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
There really isn't anything else I would say about the clinic that I have not said about the doctors and nurses. Overall it is a wonderful place to go for infertility treatments. The only thing I wish that this Clinic offered was invocell. I've heard that it is a new like IVF treatment but it is substantially cheaper
They submit everything through my insurance even though my insurance doesn't cover infertility. So I have yet to receive the bill
We have not discussed this yet
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
The day after my initial appointment for some reason the thyroid medication the doctor wanted me to be put on had not been called in to the pharmacy. The femara and the trigger shot had been called in though
Treated 2016 - 2018
He [Dr. Dodds] always took time to listen and was so very compassionate. He took the time to explain everything. He always worked to keep a positive attitude no matter what set backs arrived. I can not understate his kindness and how well treated we felt at the fertility center. ... He always took the time to thoroughly explain all treatment. He considered all factors of the potential parents lives and took the time to understand the barriers. Also he always remained so positive.
The costs [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] were fair and well described prior to my consenting for the treatment. They do work with you to try and reduce costs where needed. ... It was nice that they have a lab on site. They have a number of ultrasound suits with consult rooms. Everything was well maintained and created a warm and welcoming environment at a time that can be very frightening.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He always took time to listen and was so very compassionate. He took the time to explain everything. He always worked to keep a positive attitude no matter what set backs arrived. I can not understate his kindness and how well treated we felt at the fertility center.
The most important thing I had to remember was to stay positive. Follow treatment instructions and if you have questions don’t hesitate to call.
We started out with clomid and timed intercourse. Unfortunately a previous OB has me on Clomid for some time so I did not do many cycles of this. We then moved to estrogen and fsh injections. We continued timed intercourse. We did get a positive but the pregnancy was chemical. We repeated the cycle and achieved pregnancy but had a blighted ovum. We tried one more cycle but could not get a good number of follicles. We took a year off due to back to back losses and a cancer diagnosis in the family. On our first cycle in 2018 we did estrogen, fsh, progesterone and IUI. With this we were successful in achieving pregnancy and had a beautiful baby girl.
All staff were very helpful. All of them were very knowledge and were able to answer all questions.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Everything for me went very smoothly. I have no complaints. It was nice that they have a lab on site. They have a number of ultrasound suits with consult rooms. Everything was well maintained and created a warm and welcoming environment at a time that can be very frightening.
The costs were fair and well described prior to my consenting for the treatment. They do work with you to try and reduce costs where needed.
Treated 2015 - 2017
Dr. Dodds is extremely knowledgeable and experienced. Sometimes I feel he is spread thin but when you are meeting with him he is full of honest feedback, compassion, and makes you feel at ease about whatever choices you make... Dr. Dodds discounted our next IVF if we chose to do it.
During our first IUI [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] we had my husband's sperm checked. We did 2 more IUI's not knowing that his morphology and counts were low. We figured they didn't say anything, so it must be fine...We wanted to thaw enough eggs to fertilize three. We got a call saying they had to thaw all 16 of our eggs, and 14 did not survive the freeze/thaw. Two were ICSI and only one fertilized. By day two they transferred that one, but it did not look great...
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Write down questions and don't be afraid to ask for more details if you want more. Don't be afraid to call and ask questions in between visits, or for clarification.
The Kalamazoo office is small and personal. They write your name on the screen when you have ultrasounds. You see the same nurse each time (pending emergency exceptions). The GR office enters you as a number, and you see new nurses and each time (not entirely bad, but just the way it was).
When we first started seeing Dr. Dodds, we had no idea why we weren't conceiving. It had been 4-5 years of unprotected and later timed sex. At my normal OB/GYN we checked my fallopian tubes with dye for any blockages, and my husband had his sperm specimen looked at. All looked good, so he referred us to Dr. Dodds. We started out with getting blood tests to look for causes and mine all came back normal. I started taking oral pills, femara, and timed coitus for two cycles. Third cycle I started injectables (Follistim 75, cycle days 5-11) and created 4 follicles. We had an IUI and used vaginal progesterone. That did not work for us either. During the IUI we elected to have Husband's sperm looked at again. Nearly a month after our failed IUI I called and asked what his results were. We found out his count was low and he had a 1% morphology. I wish they would have told us that sooner. We did 2 more rounds of injectables (follistim 75, and 100) with IUI. We used Ovidrel and progesterone during those two as well. Finally after 8 months of failed pregnancy test we saw Dr. Dodds again and went over our plan. Apparently with Husband's counts and morphology we only had a 3% chance of success doing the past treatments. I wish we would have known that, we probably wouldn't have continued doing IUI's. Dr. suggested we go see a urologist and consider IVF. Husband went to urologist and found out he has varicocele veins in one testicle. We elected to have surgery to help with that and he began taking Clomid to boost his testosterone level. 3-4 months after his surgery and taking Clomid his counts and morphology were up in normal ranges. We tried naturally for 6 months. IVF #1 began with birth control pills, vitamins and giving up coffee. Our insurance covered some of the medicines for IUI but not any for IVF. My stim cycle consisted of 75 Menopur and 75 Follistim. Once my follicles got to a certain size we used Ganirelix to prevent early ovulation. We used hCG and Lupron to trigger. I had 25 eggs retrieved, 19 were mature, we chose to do ICSI to three of them and froze the rest of the eggs. All three fertilized. 1 arrested after day 1, 2 made it to day 2 and were transferred. Progesterone shot up until pregnancy test. Negative Pregnancy test. We decided to try to thaw some of our eggs and fertilize them. We had 16 frozen and they were frozen in vials of 3. A frozen transfer involves Lupron (SQ), progesterone, and estrace. We wanted to thaw enough eggs to fertilize three. We got a call saying they had to thaw all 16 of our eggs, and 14 did not survive the freeze/thaw. Two were ICSI and only one fertilized. By day two they transferred that one, but it did not look great. :( Negative pregnancy test. That brings us to current times. Due to the shocking egg dilemma, Dr. Dodds discounted our next IVF if we chose to do it. There is no way we could afford to do it again at full price. Husband's morphology went from 1% to 6% after his surgery so we chose to do 6 months of Femara and timed coitus. 6 negative pregnancy tests. That brings us to now. We are on IVF #2 where Dr. Dodds decided to try to stimulate me less, creating less, but hopefully better quality eggs. He also encouraged that we fertilized all of them, because fertilized eggs have a better chance of surviving in the freezer than do eggs alone. We started with birth control to regulate me. Then we stimmed with 75 Menopur, 75 Follistim. I used cetrotide to prevent premature ovulation and triggered with Lupron and hCG. At egg retrieval they retrieved 11 eggs. 3 were immature, 1 had a broken zona, and 7 were mature. 7 ICSI, 4 fertilized. We are going to day 5 so will continue to get updates. Tomorrow is day 2. I obviously do not have very high quality eggs, but we hope all four of these lovely fertilized eggs make it to day 5 blastocysts.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Julie Sokolow)
Before IVF, during my first five cycles of pills, timed coitus, injectables, and IUI's I had two nurses that handled my care. They were both attentive and had different personalities. One was warmer than the other. When I began IVF I was assigned an IVF nurse practitioner, Julie S. She is great. At first she comes off as unemotional or cold, but she is really just focused on your care. By the end she is all hugs and honesty. She never makes you feel stupid if you forget a direction and have to call her back. You will have her direct phone number and she is great at calling you back. She will make sure to contact you and get you directions, and never minds returning phone calls. The only downside is having to go to GR on days that Kalamazoo is not open.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinics strengths are multiple locations. A weakness is that sometimes I feel like I can get lost in all the hussle and bustle. I have had residents training on me instead of a doctor (always with my permission), and sometimes I feel like a direction gets passed and the follow through may have been missed. I hate having to explain what the doctor told me to the nurse or the billing department.
IUI's were about 450$ (sperm isolation and prep, and IUI). Freezing sperm 400$. 8,000-14,000$ for IVF (medications, appointments, bloodwork, egg retrieval, lab work, ICSI, crypo...) 400$ anesthesia.
My doctor's goal is to give you one, healthy, chubby baby. With that said he was not overly pushy with either single or multiple. We discussed my options and came to a fair agreement based on my age, quality of embryos, and past treatments.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
During our first IUI we had my husband's sperm checked. We did 2 more IUI's not knowing that his morphology and counts were low. We figured they didn't say anything, so it must be fine (shame on us, and may have been some wishful thinking). Had we known that result we may have forgone the next two IUI's knowing how unlikely they were to succeed with those numbers.

Treated 2015 - 2017
He [Dr. Dodds] took the time to deeply explain things in ways that we could here. I appreciated that he didn’t speak in absolutes like other doctors who told us we would never get pregnant on our own—which we did we just miscarried. He instead explained our odds and what he recommended based on our aged and his knowledge and our factors. ... Meeting directly with Dr Dodd’s was very helpful, supportive, and informative
Some really great staff [Fertility Center of Michigan] and some just ok. You do end up feeling a bit like a number due to volume. ... I didn’t love having whatever doc was on whatever day for retrievals and consults. ... They don’t really push or recommend PGS testing and suggest three or four embryos to transfer given my age over 40. We transferred 3 and had a singleton and have 4 embryos remaining
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He took the time to deeply explain things in ways that we could here. I appreciated that he didn’t speak in absolutes like other doctors who told us we would never get pregnant on our own—which we did we just miscarried. He instead explained our odds and what he recommended based on our aged and his knowledge and our factors.
Bring all your questions to your appointment as you won’t have many with him.
Meeting directly with Dr Dodd’s was very helpful, supportive, and informative and when he called with results and information it was fantastic but the majority of things are handled by his nurses. Truly when doing IUI you don’t see or hear from the docs much at all and that improves some with IVF. The nurses are mostly great but it feels like the clinic is super busy and not able to handle all the patients.
Yikes I don’t remember the protocol except I was in a ton of Gonal F.
Sandy was amazing and absolutely was the reason we made it through the process. Jennifer was also fantastic as her back up. We wouldn’t have our son without Sandy.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Some really great staff and some just ok. You do end up feeling a bit like a number due to volume. The end results were excellent. I didn’t love having whatever doc was on whatever day for retrievals and consults.
They were laid out and totaled with meds around $15,000 for IVF
They don’t really push or recommend PGS testing and suggest three or four embryos to transfer given my age over 40. We transferred 3 and had a singleton and have 4 embryos remaining.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Some trouble with getting meds called into mail order pharmacies and some calling back and forth for results.

Treated 2013 - 2019
Embryo Freezing
Dr. Dodds is very kind and compassionate and makes you feel very comfortable while in his care. He has a very positive attitude and explains things very well. Even after all my failed treatments he called me to say he was sorry and see how I was doing which I really appreciated. ... We started with 3 IUIs and when those failed we moved to IVF and transferred 2 fresh embryos.
I never have to wait long for an appointment which I amazing! They [The Fertility Center of Michigan] are always running on time. When I call I always get a call back within a timely manner and I am never treated as a burden or annoyance. ... We started with 3 IUIs and when those failed we moved to IVF and transferred 2 fresh embryos. ... IUIs were around $700, IVF around $12,000, and FET around $3,500. ... [monitoring appointments are] Very efficient ...
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Ask a lot of questions and know you are in good hands.
Very kind, warm, and encouraging
We started with 3 IUIs and when those failed we moved to IVF and transferred 2 fresh embryos. When my first IVF failed I spontaneously got pregnant naturally 2 months later and had a normal pregnancy and delivery. After that we tried 2 frozen embryo transfers with different protocols each time to try to achieve pregnancy, but unfortunately the first was unsuccessful and the second was a chemical pregnancy. We then discovered I had some endometriosis and I had surgery for that. We plan to go back to IUI again now that I am recovered from surgery.
Everyone was kind and patient.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I never have to wait long for an appointment which I amazing! They are always running on time. When I call I always get a call back within a timely manner and I am never treated as a burden or annoyance.
Very efficient
IUIs were around $700, IVF around $12,000, and FET around $3,500.
No, we transferred 2 each time.
Treated 2015 - 2019
There were many appointments where I’d wait to speak with the doctor [Dr. William Dodds] and then the nurses would dismiss me because they were backed up or too busy. I talked to the nurses all the time and I’d wish I could’ve asked the Doctor more questions regarding my treatments and the results...I saw all of the Doctors there. Dodds seemed to be the most experienced with all of the challenges that arose during my journey. I also saw Dr Thakur and really appreciated the fact that she took her time with me to answer any questions and side effects that I could expect.
Some [nurses at The Fertility Center of Michigan] were very knowledgeable and helpful when I’d have questions and others would contradict themselves when deciding on the course of my treatments...There were multiple times when I’d go in for blood work and the nurses assured me they ordered them in the system. When I’d go to the labs and they weren’t showing them I’d have to call the clinic and or return to a different lab at a later time because of an error on their end
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Do your research and ask a lot of questions.
There were many appointments where I’d wait to speak with the doctor and then the nurses would dismiss me because they were backed up or too busy. I talked to the nurses all the time and I’d wish I could’ve asked the Doctor more questions regarding my treatments and the results.
Some were very knowledgeable and helpful when I’d have questions and others would contradict themselves when deciding on the course of my treatments.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Over all most of the people there were friendly and knowledgeable. I am not impressed either Robin and a few others in the billing department. They gave me the runaround about a few of my claims that were covered by my insurance and they still charged me out of pocket. When I called them multiple times to follow up they were not professional in getting back to me and helping to get the fees reversed.
Unfortunately most of our costs were all out of pocket
Grand Rapids
He [Dr. Dodds] was really personal, kind and was looking out for our best interest...I think he is very good and effective at what he does. He is kind and has a very good outlook. He is very knowledgeable and seemed like he could treat whatever we had. He always seemed hopeful which helped us. When choosing our course of action he made sure that we wouldn’t waste our time.
No procedures actually happen in the kalamazoo office [of The Fertility Center of Michigan]. We saw the doctor for original consults but haven’t seen him again. The nurses were not very compassionate but since this was the only clinic on this side of the state we stayed...I had multiple problems/ lots of pain and every time I talked to the nurses they were very dismissive. They weren’t kind and didn’t really seem to care about my feelings. With failed IUIs and cancelled cycles they weren’t compassionate at all.
Ask questions.
He was really personal, kind and was looking out for our best interest.
I don’t remember exactly. We did IU and was put on 50 mg of clomid. He wanted more than one egg for a better chance of fertilization. Then we would try IUI. If the sperm wash gave a decent number we would try again. If it didn’t we would be done.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
No procedures actually happen in the kalamazoo office. We saw the doctor for original consults but haven’t seen him again. The nurses were not very compassionate but since this was the only clinic on this side of the state we stayed
Kalamazoo
I was previously diagnosed with pcos ... He [Dr. Dodd] was kind and caring but also matter of fact. He is a pro life Christian doctor which I respect also. ... He was kind and genuine. I only met with him once so I can’t say much about him but my husband and I both liked him. ... I hope to see him again in the future for further treatment. ... Doctors don’t know everything and do not have magical powers so be patient.
They [The Fertility Center of Michigan] are kind and informative, the office is nice and comfortable. Everything was tidy and clean and the recruit area always had the nicest ladies. They had a lurid full of different flavor options and nice furniture to sit on in the waiting room. Little things that make you feel more comfortable. ... [Nursing staff] Very nice kind people ...Cost were quite minimal but we do have insurance that covered some of it
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He was kind and genuine. I only met with him once so I can’t say much about him but my husband and I both liked him. I hope to see him again in the future for further treatment. He is a pro-life Christian doctor that my doctor recommended seeing which I respect a lot. He explained everything matter of fact but was also kind and understanding.
Give it time. Doctors don’t know everything and do not have magical powers so be patient. Everyone is different.
He was kind and caring but also matter of fact. He is a pro life Christian doctor which I respect also.
I was previously diagnosed with pcos and was put on clomid to trigger ovulation and produce good eggs. I responded well to the medication but it didn’t end up working for three months. After that I needed a break, it was very stressful going through that.
Very nice kind people
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are kind and informative, the office is nice and comfortable. Everything was tidy and clean and the recruit area always had the nicest ladies. They had a lurid full of different flavor options and nice furniture to sit on in the waiting room. Little things that make you feel more comfortable.
Cost were quite minimal but we do have insurance that covered some of it
Treated 2014 - 2016
He [Dr. Dodd] was very kind. Good bedside manners and explained procedures and tests thoroughly. While I knew he was very busy I never felt like he was rushed to see the next patient. He was also very professional and kind given our situation with a gestational carrier, who happened to be a friend...Always very kind. Called me personally after each loss.... Sometimes difficult when calling into the office as our situation included our gestational carrier. Even though we signed releases they still had to speak with her first about everything - including pregnancy results, which was frustrating.
Nurses were fantastic in the office. Sometimes difficult when calling into the office as our situation included our gestational carrier. Even though we signed releases they still had to speak with her first about everything - including pregnancy results, which was frustrating....Friendly staff. Somewhat frustrating with gestational carrier situations as they [The Fert Ctr - Grand Rapids] call carrier first with all results. With pregnancy results it was hard to wait for results until she was notified first....
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He was very kind. Good bedside manners and explained procedures and tests thoroughly. While I knew he was very busy I never felt like he was rushed to see the next patient. He was also very professional and kind given our situation with a gestational carrier, who happened to be a friend.
Have honest expectations of the process. Not everything is an exact science and the doctors do everything in their power to provide you with the best possible outcomes.
Always very kind. Called me personally after each loss.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Friendly staff. Somewhat frustrating with gestational carrier situations as they call carrier first with all results. With pregnancy results it was hard to wait for results until she was notified first.
Roughly 18-20k
Dr Doods and the team only ever encouraged single embryo transfer due to our age and health. I agreed with this advice.
Treated 2015 - 2019
Though because of my pcos diagnosis we knew ivf was likely the route we’d have to go Dr Dodd’s was thorough and made sure to check over me and my husband as well. Rather than assume my husband was fine due to a child from a prior relationship he had my husband tested and we found his count to be very low. I am glad this was tested early.... He never feels rushed or bothered by my questions
They [The Fertility Center of Michigan] know what they are doing because this is all they do. This requires questions as needed. But they are very helpful. The phone he’s could be better for non-ivf patients. While they have satellite offices IVF is only done at the Grand Rapids location... A prescription and procedure was ordered but we were not ready to move forward with ivf yet.
How was your experience with William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I like how experienced he is. The down side of that is that while HE knows what he’s talking about and the plan the patient can be left with a lot of questions- but he is always willing to answer them :)
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. It’s a daunting process but he seems to understand.
He never feels rushed or bothered by my questions
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They know what they are doing because this is all they do. This requires questions as needed. But they are very helpful. The phone he’s could be better for non-ivf patients. While they have satellite offices IVF is only done at the Grand Rapids location