5.4

Traverse City
1200 6th Street
Traverse City, MI 49684

2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Dodds has a great communication style and bedside manner...He really does listen and thoughtfully answers our questions, and he's really fair about giving his opinion both from a personal and professional perspective...Do your research before going in for a consultation - not because he won't explain it, but because it'll allow you to ask better questions and have a more productive conversation about your fertility plan.
First and foremost - you will be comfortable here [at the Fertility Center of Michigan]. Their waiting area is quiet, beautiful, and comfortable...I'm obese, and never once did Dr. Dodds or his staff make me feel uncomfortable about it, or allude that my weight was the reason for my infertility...All of the nurses, billing staff, and techs are lovely, professional, organized, and thorough.
How was your experience with William Dodds (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Dr. Dodds has a great communication style and bedside manner. After our first consultation, he adjusted how he spoke to us based on what we needed and expected (i.e. nice but to the point and fully explained). He always makes sure that we understand what the plan is while taking into consideration what we feel most comfortable doing and he has never tried to railroad through what we want to try something else. He really does listen and thoughtfully answers our questions, and he's really fair about giving his opinion both from a personal and professional perspective.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Dodds (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Dodds (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I was definitely treated like a human and I genuinely haven't met a nicer staff. My only tiny complaint would be that we did have to remind them of some things and push to get certain files updated/added. Because of that, there were a few appointments that felt like they were just going through the motions without really looking at our file first.
Describe the protocols William Dodds (retired) used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
My AMH is low and I have a diminished egg reserve, so my body doesn't ovulate on its own without medication. The first thing he did was get a full blood workup and sperm sample so we had all of the information available. Once it became clear what the problem was, Dr. Dodds put us on oral medication first (Clomid/Femara) at a slightly higher dose than I had previously taken from my OBGYN. We tried that for 3 cycles and increased the dosage. For the next few cycles, they had me come in for mid-cycle ultrasounds to see if my body was responding to those medications and to see where we could adjust our treatment plan to work better for me. Given my history of PCOS, they also started doing bloodwork to keep an eye on my estrogen levels in case they saw a cyst and 2 cycles were cancelled for that reason, thankfully. When it became clear that the oral medication wasn't working by itself, Dr. Dodds scheduled an HSG (after discussing it with us obviously) to make sure that my tubes were open and despite how uncomfortable the procedure itself was, it was the most mentally-pain-free experience because he and his staff told me exactly what to be ready for and how to handle it. With clear HSG results, Dodds moved us forward into 2 hybrid cycles, with both oral meds and injections. I was still only producing 1-2 good eggs per cycle so he prescribed 2 injection-only cycles on a higher dose, which were also unsuccessful. He limited those treatments because he didn't want to continue pulling 1 egg at a time from a reserve that won't last forever and I appreciate that he was very upfront with his concerns about that. He was also honest about IUI and explained that he didn't think it would serve its purpose with our situation and straight up told us it would probably be a waste of our time and money to go for that route, despite it being next up on the strategy chain. We had already come to conclusion that IVF is probably going to be the best option for us and he agreed, but knowing that our insurance wasn't covering any of our fertility treatment costs, he gave us a plethora of information on grants, saving, and full cost breakdown step by step. We are now in the saving-for-IVF part of the plan and will move forward once we are ready/clinics are open!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The best. There was one ultrasound technician whose methods weren't as comfortable for me, but as soon as I said something to the office manager, they put a note in my chart about it and were super understanding. All of the nurses, billing staff, and techs are lovely, professional, organized, and thorough.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
First and foremost - you will be comfortable here. Their waiting area is quiet, beautiful, and comfortable. Their consultation rooms and exam rooms are all comfortable, clean, and definitely a step above your average doctor's office. I should also note that I'm obese, and never once did Dr. Dodds or his staff make me feel uncomfortable about it, or allude that my weight was the reason for my infertility. They will make you feel totally at-home and they will be patient and respectful of your nervousness, no matter how many "silly" questions you ask them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Dodds (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
In 2019, we spent a total of $6,000 on treatments and co-pays. My oral medications were very affordable, I want to say probably less than $30 per cycle. Consultations are about $350, standard ultrasounds are around $275, a mid-cycle ultrasound + bloodwork was $315, and out-of-pocket injections were $600 per cycle through Freedom Fertility since our insurance wouldn't cover those. All other bloodwork and procedure co-pays were dependent on insurance coverage.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Our consent form for the injection cycles was initially lost, but they were really flexible about how I could get a new one sent to them (email, fax, next appointment, etc).

2016 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Dodds always kept me aware of what was going on. He would sit and listen to me when I had questions or concerns. He even called me after hours to address any questions I had. With our 3 miscarriages and 1 failed transfer he called each time and gave his condolences and we would talk about what we would do different next time
The lady at the front desk was so nice [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]. Whenever I would come in she would address me by my name. I was there so much she remembered my name. The staff has changed since then. With my last transfer I felt kind of out of the loop with my gestational carrier. My nurse Robin was great, but it was with the other staff that did the ultrasounds and such. I hardly got any feedback from them, my gestational carrier kept me in the loop. I addressed this concern to Robin and she got it taken care of. Being the intended parent they are to keep you updated on the thongs going on.
He was a very knowledgeable doctor and treated his patient like we were human. He would answer questions to my satisfaction, if I did not know something he was talking about he would make sure I know exactly what it meant before I left. Very caring and understanding.
He is a great doctor and you would not be disappointed with him.
It's been a while since my egg retrievals. So I do not remember the specifics. I do know I would have to go in every other day to get a transvaginal ultrasound to check on the number and size of my eggs. Out first transfer we retrieved 7 and only one made it to blast. So with the second retrieval he let my eggs grow bigger hoping to get more we did, the procedure was stopped early because I was having a lot of pain and my oxygen levels were dropping. I was not under anesthesia for the first 2 retrievals. We stuck with that same protocol for my third retrieval and I had anesthesia that time and 12 were collected. At the end I had 7 that made it to blast. We did our first transfer to our gestational carrier and it ended in a miscarriage at 10.5 weeks. We did send tissue for analysis and it cam back as the fetus having trisomony 17. We did a second transfer with a different gestational carrier we transferred 2 embryo's and she miscarried at 5 weeks. Our third transfer we transferred 2 again that one ended in a miscarriage as well at 5.5 weeks. Our fourth transferred we transferred 1 and it failed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Robin)
Since I was not the one carrying, Robin would call and give me updates on test and procedures with my gestational carrier. She always kept me in the loop. She would send me her medication schedule and everything I would need to know.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The lady at the front desk was so nice. Whenever I would come in she would address me by my name. I was there so much she remembered my name. The staff has changed since then. With my last transfer I felt kind of out of the loop with my gestational carrier. My nurse Robin was great, but it was with the other staff that did the ultrasounds and such. I hardly got any feedback from them, my gestational carrier kept me in the loop. I addressed this concern to Robin and she got it taken care of. Being the intended parent they are to keep you updated on the thongs going on.
This is the cost I had with my last transfer. It is a frozen embryo transfer with a gestational carrier. Cycle Management fee $1700.00- that was paid to hold your spot on the calendar for your transfer Preparation of Embryos $1130.00 Embryo transfer $1115.00 If you needed assisted Hatching $665.00 we did not Internal and external screening $245.00 we did not we had already done all the screening because it was the same carrier . Abdominal ultrasound $225.00 Optional Procedure costs Embryogen $465.00 we did not have Cryopreservation of Embryo's (freezing 3 or more) $955.00 (2 or more( $545.00 Ultrasound monitoring and blood work depended on your insurance For my gestational carrier it depended on her insurance for sonohysterogram, Mock ET, and endometrial biopsy. Medications cost for IVF patient are apptoximately $3000.00- $6600.00 Medication for gestation carrier are approximately $750- $1500.00
Describe William Dodds (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They prefer to transfer one. I did speak with Dr. Dodds and gave him my reasoning of wanting to transfer 2 and he agreed and let me transfer 2 embryo's. We transferred 2 embryo's twice.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
With our last transfer as the intended parents I felt left out of the cycle. They did not call me a couple times with results from my carriers ultrasound. After I spoke with my nurse she made sure I was called with all results

2020, Unknown Success
[Dr. Dodds] has made me feel top priority with just one ovary remaining...blunt as far as success may go when involving financial means. It’s unfortunate we have not met him in person as our initial was a televisit as we live a few hours away, and he was not the one who actually did our procedure...very basic IVF cycle as it was our first time...allowing us to transfer 2 embryos as we would be ecstatic with multiples.
Location [The Fertility Center of Michigan] was very easy to find. Accessibility is a plus...Although I didn’t always get [assigned nurse] they had my case readily available and took the time to listen to my thoughts and concerns even if I was “new” to them...very easy to reach the nursing staff...I ran out of medications and didn’t know what to do...helped me get them right away on a Sunday night.
Dr. Dodd’s is very knowledgeable and honest about RE care. We only have endometriosis and while that’s all we have standing in our way he didn’t down play the severity of my case. He has made me feel top priority with just one ovary remaining. A family is important to us and he was very blunt as far as success may go when involving financial means. It’s unfortunate we have not met him in person as our initial was a televisit as we live a few hours away, and he was not the one who actually did our procedure. However, I respect all of his decisions and appreciate his time and guidance throughout our first cycle. While it didn’t work for us, we are biting at the bullet to try again.
Just make sure you’re comfortable with your RE and their decisions because you may not have them when come procedure day.
Dr Dodd’s helped me feel like a human by listening to my questions and answering them without just statistic.
We had a very basic IVF cycle as it was our first time. It started with birth control, blood work and then waiting. It then turned into other stimulating injections, and trigger. We then had our retrieval 36 hours later in their GR office. And a transfer two days later.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Shelly)
Although I didn’t always get Shelly, they had my case readily available and took the time to listen to my thoughts and concerns even if I was “new” to them.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Location was very easy to find. Accessibility is a plus. It’s a little unfortunate they don’t have more accessible clinics in northern Michigan but a family is worth the travel. It was very easy to reach the nursing staff in time of need. I ran out of medications and didn’t know what to do. They helped me get them right away on a Sunday night.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I had my monitoring appointments at home locally which was very helpful. Results were called to me no later than 4pm
We have spent about 12k total on treatment and another 4K on meds.
I appreciated Dr Dodd’s allowing us to transfer 2 embryos as we would be ecstatic with multiples. Being fairly young and healthy, we felt it was a good decision he helped us make.

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
Dodds was wonderful in explaining the procedures that I would undergo. He was friendly and relate able. It seemed like he truly cared about us and our goals. Despite non of my cycles working, he changed plans each to hopefully give us a better outcome...First we completed a few rounds of clomid resulting in negatives tests. Then we moved to IUI's. We completed 3 IUI's on femara and ovidrel and one on Gonal-F.
The main office manager [at Fertility Center of Michigan] always remembered my name, which I really appreciated. The billing team was easy to work with when I had insurance issues and my IVF nurses were very helpful...Because of my age (35) two embryo transfers were recommended. Those that were younger than I, a single embryo transfer was recommended.
He was my favorite out of all the doctors there.
It seemed like he cared about me and my husband.
First we completed a few rounds of clomid resulting in negatives tests. Then we moved to IUI's. We completed 3 IUI's on femara and ovidrel and one on Gonal-F. I took a few months off after that. Next, we completed 2 egg retrievals. 1 egg retrieval resulted in 5 eggs, and 2 embryos sadly they didn't make it past day 2. That cycle included a prime of birth control and then increasing dosages of Gonal-F, Menopur and Cetrotide. The second egg retrieval was a mini dose IVF which included a prime of femara and low dosages of Gonal-F, Menopur and Cetrotide. On the day of the egg retrieval, I ovulated 5 hours before my retrieval. We did an IUI that morning. All resulted in negative pregnancy tests. Currently we are doing a couple rounds of Femara while clinics are closed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Libby)
The nursing and support staff were great! They made me feel at easy and were always available if I had any questions.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It is very clean and warm feeling. The main office manager always remembered my name, which I really appreciated. The billing team was easy to work with when I had insurance issues and my IVF nurses were very helpful.
Our first cycle was around 15K, but alot of that were medications. Since our 1 round never made it to a transfer, we were refunded the amount a transfer would cost. Our next IVF round was $3500.
Grand Rapids

I had already seen a previous IVF doctors and specialists over our 9+ years of infertility and numerous miscarriages. Dr. Dodd went through all of those results prior to suggesting IVF...[he] was very honest but encouraging regarding the odds of a successful pregnancy. He reached out personally with results and to make sure we had any follow up questions answered that may have come up...felt pretty strongly about transferring only two
The entire staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] was aware of the length and losses my husband and I have been through. They were very compassionate and patient. I was never rushed through visits, phone calls or questions. There were times when Dr. Dodd had called personally to go over tests and information were professional and punctual. I always was taken back for my appointments on time if not early. The rooms were very clean and well maintained. They were flexible with scheduling and had hours that could be worked around my work schedule as well as my husbands
Our experience with Dr. Dodds was nothing but exceptional care. He took his time explaining treatment and educating us with possible issues or complications. He was very honest but encouraging regarding the odds of a successful pregnancy. He reached out personally with results and to make sure we had any follow up questions answered that may have come up. When he called to tell us we were pregnant, he was excited. He shared this victory with us. We always felt like this was as important to him as it was to us. That's what we wanted and needed in a fertility doctor.
Make a list of questions. Don't be afraid to ask a million of 'em. He will answer every one of them and keep explaing it to you until you understand every bit of your diagnosis, results or treatment. He is a very patient Doctor and will walk you through all the steps.
The entire staff was aware of the length and losses my husband and I have been through. They were very compassionate and patient. I was never rushed through visits, phone calls or questions. There were times when Dr. Dodd had called personally to go over tests and information. When things went well he celebrated those victories with us as if they were his own. We always felt like we were a priority.
I had already seen a previous IVF doctors and specialists over our 9+ years of infertility and numerous miscarriages. Dr. Dodd went through all of those results prior to suggesting IVF. Some testing was eliminated due to an egg donation I had made over 13 years ago, prior to knowing I myself would have issues. (Both of the women that chose me as their egg donor were successful.) I had already had genetics and chromosomes checked as well. My husband had his chromosomes checked and everything came back normal. I can't really describe anything further, I had so much testing done prior by so many different doctors and specialists that Dr. Dodd had to go through it and come up with a game plan based on those. We were successful with our first round of IVF. Unfortunately I developed pre-eclampsia at 20 weeks and my placenta had back flow and my son was experiencing growth restriction. I was admitted into the hospital at that point.The maternal fetal doctor was able to hold off delivery until 23 weeks and 4 days. My son lived for 5 days, but unfortunately his lungs weren't strong enough and we lost him. We plan on discussing risks and possibly another round of IVF when the time is right.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Libby Walters)
Libby, as well as the entire nursing staff were amazing. There was always someone there answering the phone and they always had an answer. If they had to check with the doctor, they returned your call promptly. There was a few episodes I had with bleeding once I was pregnant and they were very patient and calming when I called upset and crying. Their calmness helped me to panic less. They never made me feel like I was a bother and were always very compassionate.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Absolutely no weaknesses. They were professional and punctual. I always was taken back for my appointments on time if not early. The rooms were very clean and well maintained. They were flexible with scheduling and had hours that could be worked around my work schedule as well as my husbands.
Without medications, we spent under $9,000. There were a few extra services that we had requested to increase our chances.
Dr Dodd felt pretty strongly about transferring only two. I've never had an issue getting pregnant, just staying pregnant so he felt like this was a safer approach than the three I requested. After hearing his reasoning, I was more than happy to just transfer two of them.

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
Surrogacy With Other Docs
He [Dr. William Dodds] had us try clomid for 6 rounds. unsuccessful. we then trying to set my body my body up for ivf, where my body did not respond to the drugs . this is when we found out that the D&C damaged uterus lining. he did everything to make sure we could have our family. he performed a surgery to attempt to restore my lining . unsuccessful...[Dr. Dodds] is caring . Explains plans in details. Answers all our questions. calls us back if we have questions. knows who we are
Everyone one at the clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is patient, compassionate and understanding. No matter how many times you call or email, they are happy to assist you with their knowledge...Egg Donor process was slow moving . they had us wait months for a certain nurse, who did not end up being there for our initial appointment. I like the clinic because they never are frustrated with things. they are completely understanding and show empathy every phone call, email, or visit.
Dr Dodds I did recommend to my best experiencing infertility. Reason is that he is knowledgeable and can run several test that may determine a solution. He always makes sure we fully understand the steps in the plan and what are options are .
This process is overwhelming . Your head is foggy with anxiety , sadness and negativity. Before you go to the appointment, write down your goals and questions
Dr Dodds is caring . Explains plans in details. Answers all our questions. calls us back if we have questions. knows who we are
when we first met Dr Dodds, I had miscarried three times. he understood getting pregnant was not an issue for us , but staying pregnant was . He had us try clomid for 6 rounds. unsuccessful. we then trying to set my body my body up for ivf, where my body did not respond to the drugs . this is when we found out that the D&C damaged uterus lining. he did everything to make sure we could have our family. he performed a surgery to attempt to restore my lining . unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Robin Strouse)
Everyone one at the clinic is patient, compassionate and understanding. No matter how many times you call or email, they are happy to assist you with their knowledge
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I think that being drugs for me, ultrsounds, tests, consultations,egg donor. We are well over 50k
Grand Rapids

Dr. Dodd’s is a great person and doctor. He doesn’t rush through the appointment and thoroughly answers each question with years of experience clearly behind each thoughtful answer. He is understanding that this is a difficult and sensitive time for patients...I had tried clomid prior to seeing Dr. Dodd, and he explained that IN femara studies it have been shown to work better than clomid for pcos which I have. We tried femara twice which I ovulated with based on occupations tests and a progesterone level.
Nurses [The Fertility Ctr of Michigan] kind and compassionate, with you every step of the way. Detailed in keeping you updated on the plan and details for each new cycle. Staff communicate well with each other and with me.... They met me after each of my appointments to go over the next plan and future appointments which was appreciated. They were efficient at calling me back the same day, and working to make sure they retrieved any labs taken outside of the clinic.
Dr. Dodd’s is a great person and doctor. He doesn’t rush through the appointment and thoroughly answers each question with years of experience clearly behind each thoughtful answer. He is understanding that this is a difficult and sensitive time for patients, especially the woman. He is kind and detailed, with every script and note written, never missing one single fact. At the first appointment we talked about our personal lives, careers, and families including both his own and ours - which set the tone for each future appointment, making it feel like we were just meeting with a friend. We also met in casual settings that didn’t feel like a “doctor’s office” which contributed to our comfort. He is clearly close with his staff, which helped us trust him and all the staff at the fertility clinic, knowing they were a team all together supporting us.
Great doctor- he has perfect bedside Manner and is excellent at his profession.
My calls were answered quickly, my questions were taken seriously and given thorough answers, the processes were explained in great detail as well as printed out, the staff grieved with me with each negative pregnancy test, they also helped me find the cheapest pharmacy to get medications by cash. I also had a nurse meet with me at the end of each ultrasound/consultation to go over the plan and next steps.
I had tried clomid prior to seeing Dr. Dodd, and he explained that IN femara studies it have been shown to work better than clomid for pcos which I have. We tried femara twice which I ovulated with based on occupations tests and a progesterone level. On the second round I didn’t get a positive ovulation test so I added ovidrel in the third and fourth cycles to ensure good ovulation. On the third and fourth cycles we did a mid cycles ultrasound Which showed that my uterine lining was getting smaller, and on the fourth round, which I had increased the dose of femara on, I was still only getting one follicle, so we have decided to move on to injectable with ovidrel and IUI which I am doing now. He explained that injectables will stimulate more eggs and thus increase chances of pregnancy. He also said iui doesn’t increase your chances by much, but we still wanted to try this during these injectable cycles as we will do 3 of them and then move to IVF.
They met me after each of my appointments to go over the next plan and future appointments which was appreciated. They were efficient at calling me back the same day, and working to make sure they retrieved any labs taken outside of the clinic. They were kind and compassionate and I appreciated them greatly at critical moments during my treatments.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Thorough and understanding doctors with lots of experience. Nurses kind and compassionate, with you every step of the way. Detailed in keeping you updated on the plan and details for each new cycle. Staff communicate well with each other and with me.
$300 for each ultrasound - which were multiple in some cycles. $600 -iui. $500 - first months dose of gonal f. $50 - femara. $50- metformin.
Dr. Dodd’s suggested a 2 embryo transfer as that will increase our chances of success, with a reasonable chance of a multiple pregnancy. Also is it obviously a very expensive procedure, so that is to be considered.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
At my first appointment, dr Dodd’s put ovidrel in his office note but we hadn’t discussed it and it was prescribed. It worked out as I was going to start it anyway.

2014 - 2019, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Dodds] is very friendly and compassionate. Blunt but not too blunt. Good bedside manner. We haven’t gotten the results we have been hoping for yet but he is always very understanding and always adjusting my plan and listening to my needs/wants. ... Sometimes I feel like he is stretched thin and in a hurry but other times he really takes his time.
They [The Fertility Center of Michigan] are very organized and friendly. Sometimes they run behind on time but then there are days where I am in and out in a timely manner. They always are on the same page as the doctor. A weakness is sometimes I have to call and ask certain things before they get the chance to call me. I’m sure they’re busy though. ... The only issue was my ERA test-the scheduling staff kept wanting to change it to a different day and time not knowing that it is a time sensitive test and didn’t to be done exactly when the nurse sugguested.
He is very friendly and compassionate. Blunt but not too blunt. Good bedside manner. We haven’t gotten the results we have been hoping for yet but he is always very understanding and always adjusting my plan and listening to my needs/wants.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and tell him what you would prefer/want-he is good at listening to your preferences and then adding in his professional advice.
At first I could tell he didn’t remember me or my husband but then as we continued to go there he now remembers us and it very friendly. Sometimes I feel like he is stretched thin and in a hurry but other times he really takes his time.
Nursing staff is amazing, always so helpful and never make you feel stupid or crazy for your questions or concerns. Always called with results in a timely manner and showed compassion.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are very organized and friendly. Sometimes they run behind on time but then there are days where I am in and out in a timely manner. They always are on the same page as the doctor. A weakness is sometimes I have to call and ask certain things before they get the chance to call me. I’m sure they’re busy though.
They were always in the morning and usually very quick. It worked for me because of my drive and then I just went to work afterwards.
Retrieval with transferring 5 day embryo with ICSI and embryo glue was roughly $10,000. My meds were around $3,000 and my montoring was roughly $2,500
We wanted to transfer 2 and he was okay with that, he never questioned it but I think it was because he knew I had poor egg quality and wanted to better our chances.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
The only issue was my ERA test-the scheduling staff kept wanting to change it to a different day and time not knowing that it is a time sensitive test and didn’t to be done exactly when the nurse sugguested. I feel like for scheduling staff that they should definently know that. Thankfully I knew it was time sensitive and stood my ground.

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
Dr. Dodds made me feel very comfortable and confident with his treatment plan. He told me all of the details and made me hopeful. The only thing that I wish could have done differently is that he would have suggested the hsg test before I started the Femara.... I had an ultrasound done and Dr. Dodds could tell that I had pcos. Because of the multiple cysts on my ovaries and infertility as well as some other symptoms he was confident
The strengths they [Fertility Center of Michigan] have are fast scheduling, prompt return calls, so caring and knowledgeable, great at explaining the next step. They have multiple doctors that you can see if your doctor isn't available and they are all great! When you call with questions they call you back within the hour and always answer all of your questions.... The nursing staff has been incredible! They make me feel comfortable and are genuinely concerned
Ask every question you can think of! There are no stupid questions!
He took the time to answer all of my questions and to explain the diagnosis of PCOS. He gave me hope with the treatment plan he decided and explained to me!
I had an ultrasound done and Dr. Dodds could tell that I had pcos. Because of the multiple cysts on my ovaries and infertility as well as some other symptoms he was confident with the diagnosis. He started me on Femara 5 mg for the first cycle. It worked but the second cycle we decided to add the trigger shot to take out the guess work of when I ovulate. Now this third cycle because I only had one follicle the previous two we increased my dosage to 7.5 of Femara with the trigger shot. I had one large follicle again. I have a consultation scheduled in a couple weeks if I am not pregnant to go over the next options.
The nursing staff has been incredible! They make me feel comfortable and are genuinely concerned and so caring every time I call or come in for my appointments. They make the visits each month as enjoyable as they can be.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The strengths they have are fast scheduling, prompt return calls, so caring and knowledgeable, great at explaining the next step. They have multiple doctors that you can see if your doctor isn't available and they are all great! When you call with questions they call you back within the hour and always answer all of your questions. I can't really think of any weaknesses at this point.
I paid everything out of pocket. Consultation $250. Ultrasound $200 Nurse consultation $75
2016 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Dodd’s comes in the room shaking your hand always starting a conversation and never immediately about infertility. We never feel rushed while meeting with him. ... The phone calls he makes when the news isn’t always great is so sincere and positive. I really appreciate the time he takes during appointments and phone calls he makes.
The staff [The Fertility Center of MI] is top notch, a beautiful welcoming facility. They all do a wonderful job in making you feel as comfortable as possible and are great at making the stress of the procedures a bit less. ... There was not ever a line [for monitoring appointments] we waited in the waiting room as if it was a regular appointment. We scheduled the time we were able to make it
We love Dr. Dodd’s he was able to change up our transfer each time it didn’t work to try something different to try and set us up for success. After a failed fresh transfer and a failed frozen transfer he never made us feel like we wouldn’t conceive. After our 2nd frozen transfer we conceived and carrier our son to term. The phone calls he makes when the news isn’t always great is so sincere and positive. I really appreciate the time he takes during appointments and phone calls he makes.
Ask questions he is more then willing to answer them
Dr. Dodd’s comes in the room shaking your hand always starting a conversation and never immediately about infertility. We never feel rushed while meeting with him. He’s interested/ask question about things that are not related to infertility just to make it a less stressful experience.
We used the resistant uterine protocol on our last frozen cycle. I believe that is what worked for us. Unfortunately I can’t remember the entire process or meds that were prescribed
The nursing staff was always very kind and supportive during the process.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I do not have any weaknesses that I can think of in regards to the clinic. The staff is top notch, a beautiful welcoming facility. They all do a wonderful job in making you feel as comfortable as possible and are great at making the stress of the procedures a bit less.
There was not ever a line we waited in the waiting room as if it was a regular appointment. We scheduled the time we were able to make it
Around $14000 I believe with the retrieval and 3 transfers (1 fresh 2 frozen)
He was very set on not transferring more then 2. He did say the odds of successful pregnancy were slightly higher when transferring 2.

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
It was determined I have a heart-shaped (bicornuate) uterus ... He [Dr. Dodds] has stuck with us and has kept us hopeful during a tough journey. He is always comprehensive in his treatment planning and when a treatment hasn't proven to be successful, he is great about tweaking things or offering other options. He is direct and very smart. He is also caring and empathetic. If I had to start treatment over, I would absolutely stick with him as my doctor.
Great staff [Fertility Center of Michigan], although sometimes tough to get through on the phone immediately to someone (obviously not including emergencies). Often I have to leave a message and wait for a call back to schedule or to have questions answered. ... IVF without PGS for healthy 28-30y.o. was about 8-10K. With PGS clinic cost is about 12.5K and seperate PGS fee is 5.8K.
Even though we haven't had our miracle baby yet, I still am so thankful for having Dr. Dodds as our doctor. He has stuck with us and has kept us hopeful during a tough journey. He is always comprehensive in his treatment planning and when a treatment hasn't proven to be successful, he is great about tweaking things or offering other options. He is direct and very smart. He is also caring and empathetic. If I had to start treatment over, I would absolutely stick with him as my doctor.
Schedule to meet with him if you have questions and make sure to bring a list of questions! He is great about explaining options and also great about listening to you.
When we first started medicated cycles at The Fertility Center, I rarely saw any of the doctors, but when I did, it was always a good experience. However as we have continued on through IUIs, then IVF, a miscarriage, the care has gotten more and more personalized and Dr. Dodds has been extremely empathetic, thorough, and generous. He has squeezed us in when the schedule was "full" and never rushes the conversation when we meet with him.
He first ordered blood work, sperm analysis, and HSG for diagnostic testing. It was determined I have a heart-shaped (bicornuate) uterus, otherwise we were unexplained. Multiples is a big risk with this condition, so he made sure to start me out on the lowest dose of Femara when I started medicated cycles. He had me come in for one midcycle US and we were able to adjust meds to get the anywhere from 1-3 follicles. After 4 cycles on femara, we met with him and he offered IUI or IVF. I was close to overproducing follicles a couple times (and again multiples is risky for me), so IVF would be more predictable. But, due to cost, we decided to do IUIs first and he was very understanding. We added in injectables to help with egg quality and ended up having to cancel our first month due to overproducing. After that, he had me come in a lot earlier and more frequent to monitor closely. The next 3 IUIs went smoothly (except for not getting a positive pregnancy test!). We then moved on to IVF. Before starting, I was on birth control for 6 weeks to quiet everything. We had a great retrieval with 17 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, all 16 fertilized, and 12 made it to day 2 freeze. I had to do a freeze-all because of risk of hyperstimulation. After our first day 3 embryo FET, I got pregnant, but miscarried at 10 weeks. I then went on to do 3 more FETs, all failed. We met with him after each FET to discuss next steps. He did try an immune protocol for resistant uterus for the last two FETs due to some indications that I may have autoimmune issues. This last FET we ended up transferring two embryos, as we hadn't had luck with single embryo transfers. After 4 transfers and 5 embryos transferred, we met again and Dr. Dodds had discussed our case with the other three doctors at the practice and gave us several options moving forward. We are now considering doing a fresh round of IVF and PGS testing all embryos, new and old. We got karyotyping done on me and are waiting on results. I also have a hysteroscopy scheduled for next week to look at the inside of the uterus to determine if anything obvious could be preventing implantation.
There are a lot and they are all super nice and helpful. Early in our time at the Fertility Center, I sometimes felt like I had to remind some of them about certain unique parts of my case, but as we have moved on to IVF, the nurses seem to be very up to speed.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Great staff, although sometimes tough to get through on the phone immediately to someone (obviously not including emergencies). Often I have to leave a message and wait for a call back to schedule or to have questions answered. But, everyone is always helpful! They run things efficiently and are good about getting back to you that day if indicated.
IVF without PGS for healthy 28-30y.o. was about 8-10K. With PGS clinic cost is about 12.5K and seperate PGS fee is 5.8K. IUI ended up being about 1.5K per cycle. Medicated cycles alone were pretty cheap, usually $100-200.
With a bicornuate uterus, we were encouraged to transfer one embryo. Not until our fourth transfer did we end up transferring two. Dr. Dodds went over all the pros/cons with us.
Grand Rapids

Dr Dodds is one the kindest people I have ever met. He was so caring and understanding. He helped us see the light at the end of the tunnel when we couldn't see it ourselves. He celebrated our victories with us and was always there if we needed it. He was willing to look into things if needed and would always talk over my options with us so that we could decide together what was best...Dr Dodds was always so kind to me and positive. He was open to things I suggested and answered all my questions without rushing me. He made me feel like I was the only patient every time he was with me.
$6000 for IVF not including meds or monitoring appointments $3300 for frozen transfer My insurance covered meds with a $150 copay for each medication and completely covered ultrasounds...Everyone at the [Fertility Center] Kalamazoo office is wonderful from the front desk staff to the doctors. The only weakness I would say is their open hours so you have to drive to the main Grand Rapids office sometimes but for the most part don't have to
Trust that he has your very best interest at heart!
My first retrieval we used follostim and menopur and then added in ganirelix when appropriate. We triggered with both HCG and lupron due to my history of mild OHSS. I did a fresh transfer with that cycle that resulted in a negative pregnancy test. I had 3 frozen day 2 embryos left from this cycle. My next retrieval cycle we did the same protocol but this time did a freeze all cycle. My first frozen transfer of a day 3 embryo using the long lupron protocol resulted in a chemical pregnancy. My second frozen transfer using the stimulated protocol (due to unwanted side effects with lupron) with follistim resulted in a successful singleton pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
Ashley is a wonderful, kind and caring nurse. She answered all my questions and would talk to me on the phone as much as I needed to feel comfortable. I can't say enough nice things about her!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Everyone at the Kalamazoo office is wonderful from the front desk staff to the doctors. The only weakness I would say is their open hours so you have to drive to the main Grand Rapids office sometimes but for the most part don't have to
My doctor recommended transferring 2 embryos each time which I agreed with

2015 - 2018, Successful
He [Dr. William Dodds] seemed to really care and wanted us to have a family almost as badly as we wanted to have one...I felt like if I ever needed to talk to Dr. Dodds about something he would make sure he was there for me. You can tell he has been doing this for a long time and creating families is his passion...suggested we move to IVF due to my age of 38...We were very happy Dr. Dodds allowed us to transfer 3 embryos on two separate occasions due to my age and my biological clock running out.
The Fertility Center is extremely knowledgeable and compassionate. Two qualities that are important and needed when a family is going through such a personal and sometimes devastating struggle to make their family bigger...Each one [nurse] again showed compassion and care for our story. Some of them had their own stories which helped to know they sort of knew the struggle we felt...We were very happy Dr. Dodds allowed us to transfer 3 embryos on two separate occasions due to my age and my biological clock running out.
We felt like family with Dr. Dodds. I think he truly cares about our story and knows how badly we wanted a family. On the visits we didn't see Dr. Dodds, we saw exceptional and caring Drs I felt like if I ever needed to talk to Dr. Dodds about something he would make sure he was there for me. You can tell he has been doing this for a long time and creating families is his passion.
Keep going. What you are doing is a team effort with Dr. Dodd's. He will do his part and you will need to do your part.
He seemed to really care and wanted us to have a family almost as badly as we wanted to have one.
My husband and I had been trying to conceive for 4 years prior to seeing Dr. Dodd's. We had tried several IUI's with my OBGYN. One resulted in a pregnancy that ended in a stillbirth at 30 weeks. We never got pregnant on our own or any other time trying IUI with my OBGYN. In the consult with Dr. Dodd's, he talked about trying IUI twice with Clomyd before moving to more intensive treatment. I got pregnant and then miscarried with my first IUI treatment with Dr. Dodds. He then allowed me to try more than 2 IUI's, knowing I was able to get pregnant with the first round. After the 4th or 6th (can't remember how many we did) IUI that year, he then suggested we move to IVF due to my age of 38. My husband and I were hesitant due to the cost. We soon realized we needed to take the next step to IVF. We contacted Dr. Dodd's to let him know we wanted to take the next step and then it moved fast from there. We did the egg retrieval a couple of months later and did a live embryo transfer (3 embryos) two days later. We froze the 5 remaining. I had a successful pregnancy and gave birth to our son at 36 weeks and 5 days in May 2017. We then did an embryo transfer of 3 frozen embryos in March/April 2018 that resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Then in August 2018 we transferred our last 2 frozen embryos with a IUI two days prior to the embryo transfer. This round resulted in a positive pregnancy test. We soon found out we were pregnant with twins. Then I miscarried the twins at 7 weeks. At that point I was done trying due to my age and all that we had been through. We are happy with our son in heaven and our son on this earth. We are so grateful to Dr. Dodds, Dr. Shavell and Dr. Thakur for all their support and care they provided through our treatments. They showed compassion and humanity and some of their own personal stories. I can not say enough good things about The Fertility Center's team of doctors.
Each one again showed compassion and care for our story. Some of them had their own stories which helped to know they sort of knew the struggle we felt.
Grand Rapids

Dr Dodds does go over info in a matter of fact and easy way to understand, but also gets to know you as a person. He calls himself when needed and makes sure you understand the plans moving forward but respects how you want to proceed with treatment. ... We have done one round of IUI Femara Protocol so far. ... We have not conceived yet so are trying another round of that same protocol and increasing the dose of Femara
The [Fertility Center of Michigan] environment is welcoming and comfortable. They are professional and organized for the most part. Every person we have encountered has been kind and willing to answer questions. ... There was one instance where the nurse had told me over the phone that she would send the prescriptions in and they were not at our pharmacy after a couple days.
We are in the middle of our fertility journey so I haven't had too many encounters with Dr Dodds yet, however the ones I have had been positive. Upon meeting him he was very informative, but in a way thats easy to understand. He let us know what he thought the best plan for us was and also took some time getting to know us. He is professional but understanding and compassionate. He also called me personally the day of our IUI to discuss how it went and his thoughts for moving forward. We are confident and happy with the care we are receiving.
Don't be afraid to ask questions! He is more than happy to elaborate if you don't understand. Also don't be afraid to ask for a different option if you're not comfortable with the one he gives. For example, he thought we may be better off trying IVF but we decided to exhaust the IUI option first. He was supportive of this decision.
We have done one round of IUI Femara Protocol so far. We are using Femara, a mid cycle ultrasound, and ovidril injection. We have not conceived yet so are trying another round of that same protocol and increasing the dose of Femara
The nursing staff has been supportive, kind, and informative. They encouraged us when we were upset, answered all of our questions without making us feel silly, and have been incredibly professional during treatments.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The environment is welcoming and comfortable. They are professional and organized for the most part. Every person we have encountered has been kind and willing to answer questions. We were really nervous on our first visit but the nurses made it more comfortable. You will first meet with a nurse to go over your information, then your Dr will meet with you in their office. We were very worried that it would be a very emotional experience, but the staff and environment made it much easier than we thought.
We are only beginning. Our first patient visit we just paid a copay because our insurance covers diagnostic costs. The cost of IUI was $600 (not including our medication, that was an additional $120)
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
There was one instance where the nurse had told me over the phone that she would send the prescriptions in and they were not at our pharmacy after a couple days. I called back and another nurse could see that we had talked but that the scripts weren't actually sent. She sent them and it was taken care of quickly.
Grand Rapids
You may request him [Dr. William Dodds] as your doctor or see him the first time, but most likely you’ll see different doctors the rest of the way...He made me feel comfortable during the visit. After a dismal first retrieval result (only 2 poor quality embryos made it to day 4), he called personally then changed my plan to multi-cycle plan which is much more cost effective. I saw him just one more time after the initial visit, as his other colleagues did the procedures. After 2 retrievals, I had an FET which was successful
They were very flexible [for monitoring appointments at The Fertility Center of Michigan], and the good thing was they have a lot of clinics so if the schedule would not work out in a clinic, you have other options...I thought they were reasonable [cost-wise]. The multi-cycle plan was cost effective. There were no hidden costs...The clinic gave me a choice [on embryo transfer]. I’m not sure if they transfer more than 2...Weakness: very busy practice, so it’s understandable how the organization can be compromised. Their kalamazoo clinic’s waiting room was such that everyone waiting could hear everything you’re discussing with the receptionist. Having a lot of clinics in different parts of michigan made it easier to have ultrasounds done when we were in the process of moving
You may request him as your doctor or see him the first time, but most likely you’ll see different doctors the rest of the way
When the first egg retrieval had bad results, he personally called to deliver the news
We discussed my first egg retrieval with another clinic which had to be terminated as only one follicle was developing during treatment, and his opinion was that my med dosages were too low. Stim meds were increased in dose and the results were better than the first but still not good (2 poor quality embryos produced). The next cycle I took estrogen supplements first to stimulate follicle production and my stim meds were increased further (maximum), and the results were better - 3 embryos but their qualities were better. I decided to do fet then instead of going through a third egg retrieval as we moved and it was too hard to go to appointments for egg retrieval. 2 embryos were transferred, and I had one baby born
I spoke to a different nurse each time. They were all really nice. You rarely ever call without having to leave a message in the voicemail though. Sometimes they did hive conflicting information though, but just for minor things that I can’t recall anymore
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic seems to have a pretty good success rate and is quite popular. I found the costs to be reasonable, and better than the first clinic I went to. No hidden costs (again unlike the first clinic I went to where I was charged $450 every time I talked to a nurse coordinator). Weakness: very busy practice, so it’s understandable how the organization can be compromised. Their kalamazoo clinic’s waiting room was such that everyone waiting could hear everything you’re discussing with the receptionist. Having a lot of clinics in different parts of michigan made it easier to have ultrasounds done when we were in the process of moving
They were very flexible, and the good thing was they have a lot of clinics so if the schedule would not work out in a clinic, you have other options
I thought they were reasonable. The multi-cycle plan was cost effective. There were no hidden costs
The clinic gave me a choice. I’m not sure if they transfer more than 2

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
What we did expect was for him [Dr. Dodds] to do his job as far as explaining our course of treatment, answering any questions we had, and helping us feel comfortable with our journey, and he accomplished all of that. He was very warm and had great bedside manner for both our egg retrieval and embryo transfer. Even my husband said, "I like him. He's a good doctor."... there have also been times where he truly is patient with questions we have and he sits and answers all of them. We never felt rushed or like he didn't have the time for us.
I think The Fertility Center's biggest strength is definitely the staff. From the front desk through checkout, they are friendly and helpful! It is also a very clean and updated facility. I think a weakness would be billing. It's confusing and not always explained well...The 4 main nurses that we saw were Sandy, Amy, Ashley and Shana. They were all amazing! I appreciated so much that they cared about me as a person and not just another patient. Shana did my ultrasounds, Amy and Ashley met with me after each ultrasound to help me understand my next steps and Sandy helped with my egg retrieval.
We were very happy. We understand that it's a busy clinic and he sees many patients so we weren't expecting to feel like we were the only ones there because, let's be honest, that's not realistic. What we did expect was for him to do his job as far as explaining our course of treatment, answering any questions we had, and helping us feel comfortable with our journey, and he accomplished all of that. He was very warm and had great bedside manner for both our egg retrieval and embryo transfer. Even my husband said, "I like him. He's a good doctor." Which my hubby is typically a go with the follow type guy so I was happy to hear that from him! Overall we have been very happy with our treatment from Dr. Dodds so far!
Have questions ready to ask, he is always willing to take the time to answer them and make you feel as comfortable as you can. Also, understand he is human, he is not perfect, but he absolutely cares about his patients.
There have been a couple times where my husband and I have felt that he says something to us that "he probably says to everyone." However, there have also been times where he truly is patient with questions we have and he sits and answers all of them. We never felt rushed or like he didn't have the time for us.
Our process went fairly smooth, but I appreciated that they carefully monitored my Estradiol and Progesterone levels as we were doing our follicle stimulating hormone injections. At one point my dosage was lowered and that made me feel confident that it was being carefully monitored. I am sure that this is a protocol for most clinics, but it was just one more thing that gave me added security going through it!
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sandy, Amy, Ashley, Shana )
The 4 main nurses that we saw were Sandy, Amy, Ashley and Shana. They were all amazing! I appreciated so much that they cared about me as a person and not just another patient. Shana did my ultrasounds, Amy and Ashley met with me after each ultrasound to help me understand my next steps and Sandy helped with my egg retrieval. They all went above and beyond making me feel comfortable and confident in my treatment.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I think The Fertility Center's biggest strength is definitely the staff. From the front desk through checkout, they are friendly and helpful! It is also a very clean and updated facility. I think a weakness would be billing. It's confusing and not always explained well. Definitely remember to be your own advocate and make sure that your bills are what you were expecting. If not, ask questions!!
Including our initial appt to discuss treatment options, my husbands sperm extraction, my preliminary testing, hysteroscopy surgery, multiple ultrasounds, injections/medications, retrieval, transfer, and embryo storage fees we have probably spent close to $20,000 at this point.
I appreciate that Dr. Dodds allowed us to make most of our decisions. I never felt like we were being questioned or steered in a different direction than what we wanted. He allowed us to make the decision to transfer 2 embryos.

2013 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Dodds is amazing. At first he can seem a bit cold/impersonal, but if you enjoy someone who is blunt but compassionate, he's the doctor for you. And if you fall into the category of "long time" patients, he will become your best ally and an amazing support system...Dr. Dodds is invested in his patients' successes. He's willing to think outside the box and explore alternative treatment options when the first few fail...PCOS patient- used both an estrogen priming protocol (poor egg quality) and an agonist protocol.
The clinic [The Fertility Center] is small enough to keep it intimate and personal, but large enough that they're on the cutting edge of technology such as time lapse. My only complaint is their strong preference for day 2 transfers instead of blast culture...Only once did we have an issue, and it was because they had called the wrong patient so we were confused when they told us that our transfer was several days earlier than it should have been.
Give him time. He's amazing once you get to know him.
PCOS patient- used both an estrogen priming protocol (poor egg quality) and an agonist protocol. Once we moved on to FETs exclusively, we added in the resistant uterine protocol, and eventually some stronger immune treatments (IV lipids, high dose steroids, injectable blood thinners) since we couldn't pinpoint a cause for our recurrent losses.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sandy)
Everyone on the nursing staff is amazing. They held us as we cried after every loss, and celebrated with us the day we finally graduated to our OB with our rainbow pregnancy.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is small enough to keep it intimate and personal, but large enough that they're on the cutting edge of technology such as time lapse. My only complaint is their strong preference for day 2 transfers instead of blast culture.
Their costs are listed on their website. Over the course of 5 years, we spent close to $40,000 between IUI cycles, 2 IVF retrievals, 4 frozen transfers, and 2 donor embryo IVF cycles.
Dr. Dodds strongly advocated for eSET since it does not impact live birth rate, but decreases your risk of multiples.
Grand Rapids

Fertility is serious but Dr. Dodds is able to lighten the mood and make you feel at ease. He genuinely cares about your success...not only did we have a great egg retrieval, embryo transfer, and successful pregnancy with Dr. Dodds but I felt great about it the entire time. I knew that he was doing the best he could for use to ensure success. I like being able to joke around with someone and feel like a friend rather than having a stuffy doctor!
They [The Fertility Center of Michigan] sent my prescriptions to the wrong pharmacy more than once...IVF at the clinic cost about $8000 not including medication...is great but make sure you are your own advocate. They do these procedures and do these appointments every day - I think sometimes the staff forgets that it might be your first appointment. Don't be afraid to ask questions - everyone's more than happy to help...
Dr. Dodds is amazing. He has a great personality. Fertility is serious but Dr. Dodds is able to lighten the mood and make you feel at ease. He genuinely cares about your success. I had a great experience with Dr. Dodds - not only did we have a great egg retrieval, embryo transfer, and successful pregnancy with Dr. Dodds but I felt great about it the entire time. I knew that he was doing the best he could for use to ensure success. I like being able to joke around with someone and feel like a friend rather than having a stuffy doctor!
I know that fertility is very serious and for some people it's not a joking matter. For us, we had been trying to conceiver for 2 years before we saw Dr. Dodds for IVF. We had been through the ringer with lots of failures and it was just our life at the time and we wanted to be able to talk and joke with someone and make it not so serious. IVF is HARD - might as well try and make it somewhat enjoyable!
Super friendly and helpful. He is a genuine nice guy who cares about your success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Kim )
All of the nurses at the Fertility Center are great! They treat you like a friend and care about your success.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The Fertility Center is great but make sure you are your own advocate. They do these procedures and do these appointments every day - I think sometimes the staff forgets that it might be your first appointment. Don't be afraid to ask questions - everyone's more than happy to help.
IVF at the clinic cost about $8000 not including medication.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
They sent my prescriptions to the wrong pharmacy more than once.
2013 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Dodds is always friendly and compassionate. He will not sugar-coat anything and will make sure you understand what will happen. It is clear that he wants you to succeed. He sometimes talks very fast and about clinical/medical things that are over your head, but he is very passionate about what he does....Don't be afraid to ask questions and tell him to slow down if you don't understand something....After 5 failed IUIs (using Clomid or Femara), we chose to go ahead with IVF to increase our chances.
They [The Fert Ctr- Grand Rapids] are one of the cheaper IVF clinics, but this is because they do two-day embryo transfers and very little monitoring. They have a small staff of only 3-4 doctors, so it is sometimes difficult to get on the schedule. They also produce a lot of twin pregnancies as they recommend transferring two embryos....At least once we had to call the nurse line to have them send a prescription that they said they called in.
Dodds is always personable and doesn't just talk medical stuff.
After 5 failed IUIs (using Clomid or Femara), we chose to go ahead with IVF to increase our chances. Thebfresh transfer failed. The FET resulted in a blighted ovum. There are no known fertility issues.
They are always friendly and helpful.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are one of the cheaper IVF clinics, but this is because they do two-day embryo transfers and very little monitoring. They have a small staff of only 3-4 doctors, so it is sometimes difficult to get on the schedule. They also produce a lot of twin pregnancies as they recommend transferring two embryos.
Over $30,000 so far
They recommend transferring two two-day embryos. They have a high result of twins because of this. We know several couples personally who have twins from this practice who have no known fertility issues (lesbian couples) and are not advanced maternal age. The clinic doesn't normally grown embryos to day five, with the theory that the embryos do better the sooner you transfer them back. These strategies seem to help with cost saving more than actual outcomes.
IUI With Other Docs
Dr.Dodds gave us pretty tragic news, we couldn't conceive on our own(due to me having hydrosalpinx). How he told us changed everything, he was very sympathetic and apologetic. He told us our options, and explained everything thoroughly to us....Dr.Dodds even explained the financial side and how to apply for grants. He didn't leave us in the dark at any time.... I had to go to Grand Rapids and see Dr.Shavell (equally as compassionate and amazing) to have the dye test done.
I honestly feel that the entire staff at the Fertility Center, is amazing. I didn't have a single bad experience, and I feel everyone was rooting for us the entire time. They make a great team....They are on top of everything, very thorough and also very compassionate. Prompt call backs, and great at being abled to work around erratic schedules. I can't think of any "weaknesses" as I had a great experience with the center itself.
I personally wouldn't see myself going anywhere else. It takes a special kind of person to be so caring, when they don't have to be. Even though we couldn't afford to go through with IVF, Dr.Dodds even explained the financial side and how to apply for grants. He didn't leave us in the dark at any time.
Tell your doctor everything. There are all types of reasons why conceiving could not happen right away. It may be something minute.
My husband and I both had our fertility tested. I had to go to Grand Rapids and see Dr.Shavell (equally as compassionate and amazing) to have the dye test done. She explained to me what to expect, and helped coach my breathing through the process. She also explained everything that was going to happen right before it did.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Because I was being tested for fertility, my insurance covered everything. I also had to have reproductive surgery (burned tubes) that was also covered by insurance, my out of pocket was covered. Dr.Dodds explained how to apply for grants to do ivf, both for the Fertility Center and outside of.
Kalamazoo
Dr Dodds sat down with both my husband and myself and explained everything regarding our infertility in a manner that we both could fully understand. He was very compassionate and understanding. He didn’t make us feel like “another statistic”. His calm demeanor took away as much stress and anxiety that could be taken away. He was all around wonderful.
Everyone at The Fertility Center we’re incredibly compassionate and understanding. They helped to make the experience less nerve wrecking. They were very kind and professional. They explained everything that they did, and why they were doing it. They included my husband and myself in every part of the planning. They also allowed my mother in law to be there for a large majority of treatment.
Dr. Dodds was very compassionate and understanding of what myself and my husband were going through. He explained himself thoroughly. He was very kind and calm when he spoke to us. He was very matter of fact, which I appreciate in a doctor.
Write a list of questions down that you may have.
He put me on metformin to help control my hormones, tried a cycle with clomid trying to conceive naturally. And did two cycles with injectables. One, he had us try naturally because my eggs weren’t as mature as he would have liked, and the second we tried IUI. All three cycles ended in a negative pregnancy result. We could not continue to try, because our insurance doesn’t cover treatment.
They were all so incredibly kind. They made the entire experience a little more comfortable.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Our insurance paid for a portion of office visits, but did not pay for treatment or medication. But, the prices were not that terrible.
I do not fully remember, but I do believe he said they suggest no more than two embryos to be transferred.

2014 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Dodds wanted to make sure we were happy with the treatment path, he gave us options that were more conservative, then let us choose how long we wanted to try each treatment before finally moving on to IVF. He is honest in what he thinks will or won't work, and he's compassionate and there to help in the ultimate goal of baby.
Nurses [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] always answered as many questions as we had, and if you thought of something later they always called back in a timely manner. They were always patient and compassionate. Very knowledgable...The clinic was a typical physician's office, the waiting room is a little more cozy than most (but we aren't going to the waiting room huh). Patient rooms were fine. It is nice to move to a consult room to talk with the staff instead of keeping you in your gown in a room.
Let him know if you do not want all the details, he explained everything very well to us. Take notes if you need to. You can always call the office if you forgot something that was talked about in the appointment. He is confident because he is good at what he does, and he will work hard to find out what is causing your infertility and how best to treat you based on what YOU want (continuing with conservative treatments versus moving up to IVF or the like).
chatted with us in his office, explained things very well when we wanted to know more detail. Communicated with referring provider.
Nurses always answered as many questions as we had, and if you thought of something later they always called back in a timely manner. They were always patient and compassionate. Very knowledgable.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
My very rough guess for one round of IVF + ICSI, including meds, monitoring and egg retrieval was around $15-17k. They were great at working with insurance if anything was covered. We had a small portion of monitoring and meds covered but pretty much all of it was out of pocket.
Grand Rapids

He was a very caring and loving man. He has passion to help create families and fulfill couples dreams. All though our first cycle with the fertility center ended in a miscarriage they helped me get back on track. I am hoping someday we will have our rainbow baby thanks to Dr. Dodds ... He started by increasing my ferma and added Gonal-f and ovidrel along with screen scans.
Very nice facility [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]. You just need to go in open minded and don't be afraid to ask any questions you have. It is hard to get someone on the phone but they are very good at responding to calls the same day. ... Some of them are very sweet and compassionate. A few of them make you feel like you are an bother to them and you should know your own answers.
Be ready for many ups and downs through the journey.
He definitely cares for his patients and is willing to see you when you have questions.
He started by increasing my ferma and added Gonal-f and ovidrel along with screen scans. The provider I was seeing in the past didn't do any monitoring so this made me feel so much better. He gives you up to 3 cycles before you move on to something else. After 2 rounds of meds and one miscarriage we moved on to IUI. Currently about to go in for another consultation and 2nd iui.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Very nice facility. You just need to go in open minded and don't be afraid to ask any questions you have. It is hard to get someone on the phone but they are very good at responding to calls the same day.
So far any visits have just been a vote pay. The IUI was paid for out of pocket along with the fertility medication

2017 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Dodds was understanding and was there for myself and husband if we had any questions along the way. He explained the process and procedures. He is involved his patients and wants each and everyone of them to have a successful full term pregnancy...I would say that patients will like working with Dr. Dodds, he is knowledgeable and wants what is best for his patients...My husband and I did 3 rounds of timed intercourse which resulted in negative pregnancy tests. We also did 3 rounds IUI, 2 of which resulted in no pregnancy, the last one did result in a pregnancy, but I had a miscarriage. After the miscarriage my husband and I met with Dr. Dodds to discuss further treatment. At the moment, my husband and I decided we needed a break from the treatments due to the financial cost and emotional toll.
The clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is warm and inviting, the staff are available to answer any questions that we may have along the way with our treatments. The staff is there to give you space or be there for you if you need to talk to someone...All the nursing staff were helpful and knowledgeable. They were compassionate and understanding of the situation my husband and I are in...we were provided with a list of costs and which ones were covered by our insurance.
Dr. Dodds was there for any questions I had about my treatment. He was very helpful and optimistic about my prognosis.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is warm and inviting, the staff are available to answer any questions that we may have along the way with our treatments. The staff is there to give you space or be there for you if you need to talk to someone.
At first consult with Dr. Dodds we were provided with a list of costs and which ones were covered by our insurance.
Didn't have these preformed.
Grand Rapids

He [Dr. William Dodds] is honest and caring, good bedside manner and very intelligent. Although he can be a bit flighty at times with this thought processes, we wouldn't have wanted anyone else there. Sometimes he was too caring than informative and other times he was too informative without much care. Really depended on the day.
The billing department [at Fertility Center of MI-Grand Rapids] is totally unorganized and a joke; keep all your receipts and don't let any stone go unturned. They demand money immediately well before procedures even happen, makes them come across as money hungry. Front desk staff are cordial, but if you ever have an urgent need, no one wants or knows how to help you and you just get transferred around.
He is honest and caring, good bedside manner and very intelligent. Although he can be a bit flighty at times with this thought processes, we wouldn't have wanted anyone else there. Sometimes he was too caring than informative and other times he was too informative without much care. Really depended on the day.
He called after each successful and failed pregnancy test and took time to answer questions
HSG, egg retrieval, embryo transfer and freezing
She was always available to assist as needed, and super helpful, but frequently lost our paperwork and was a bit disorganized at times
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The billing department is totally unorganized and a joke; keep all your receipts and don't let any stone go unturned. They demand money immediately well before procedures even happen, makes them come across as money hungry. Front desk staff are cordial, but if you ever have an urgent need, no one wants or knows how to help you and you just get transferred around.
For egg retrieval with a surrogate, it costs around $15,000
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Paperwork is often lost, billing department is totally unorganized. I ran out of meds when they wanted me to keep stimming, and my pharmacy was in the middle of a snow storm. When I called the office freaking out they basically said they don't keep meds on hand and "good luck".