5.4

Traverse City
1200 6th Street
Traverse City, MI 49684

2016 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Dodds always kept me aware of what was going on. He would sit and listen to me when I had questions or concerns. He even called me after hours to address any questions I had. With our 3 miscarriages and 1 failed transfer he called each time and gave his condolences and we would talk about what we would do different next time
The lady at the front desk was so nice [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]. Whenever I would come in she would address me by my name. I was there so much she remembered my name. The staff has changed since then. With my last transfer I felt kind of out of the loop with my gestational carrier. My nurse Robin was great, but it was with the other staff that did the ultrasounds and such. I hardly got any feedback from them, my gestational carrier kept me in the loop. I addressed this concern to Robin and she got it taken care of. Being the intended parent they are to keep you updated on the thongs going on.
How was your experience with William Dodds (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He was a very knowledgeable doctor and treated his patient like we were human. He would answer questions to my satisfaction, if I did not know something he was talking about he would make sure I know exactly what it meant before I left. Very caring and understanding.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Dodds (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He is a great doctor and you would not be disappointed with him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Dodds (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the protocols William Dodds (retired) used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
It's been a while since my egg retrievals. So I do not remember the specifics. I do know I would have to go in every other day to get a transvaginal ultrasound to check on the number and size of my eggs. Out first transfer we retrieved 7 and only one made it to blast. So with the second retrieval he let my eggs grow bigger hoping to get more we did, the procedure was stopped early because I was having a lot of pain and my oxygen levels were dropping. I was not under anesthesia for the first 2 retrievals. We stuck with that same protocol for my third retrieval and I had anesthesia that time and 12 were collected. At the end I had 7 that made it to blast. We did our first transfer to our gestational carrier and it ended in a miscarriage at 10.5 weeks. We did send tissue for analysis and it cam back as the fetus having trisomony 17. We did a second transfer with a different gestational carrier we transferred 2 embryo's and she miscarried at 5 weeks. Our third transfer we transferred 2 again that one ended in a miscarriage as well at 5.5 weeks. Our fourth transferred we transferred 1 and it failed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Robin)
Since I was not the one carrying, Robin would call and give me updates on test and procedures with my gestational carrier. She always kept me in the loop. She would send me her medication schedule and everything I would need to know.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The lady at the front desk was so nice. Whenever I would come in she would address me by my name. I was there so much she remembered my name. The staff has changed since then. With my last transfer I felt kind of out of the loop with my gestational carrier. My nurse Robin was great, but it was with the other staff that did the ultrasounds and such. I hardly got any feedback from them, my gestational carrier kept me in the loop. I addressed this concern to Robin and she got it taken care of. Being the intended parent they are to keep you updated on the thongs going on.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Dodds (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
This is the cost I had with my last transfer. It is a frozen embryo transfer with a gestational carrier. Cycle Management fee $1700.00- that was paid to hold your spot on the calendar for your transfer Preparation of Embryos $1130.00 Embryo transfer $1115.00 If you needed assisted Hatching $665.00 we did not Internal and external screening $245.00 we did not we had already done all the screening because it was the same carrier . Abdominal ultrasound $225.00 Optional Procedure costs Embryogen $465.00 we did not have Cryopreservation of Embryo's (freezing 3 or more) $955.00 (2 or more( $545.00 Ultrasound monitoring and blood work depended on your insurance For my gestational carrier it depended on her insurance for sonohysterogram, Mock ET, and endometrial biopsy. Medications cost for IVF patient are apptoximately $3000.00- $6600.00 Medication for gestation carrier are approximately $750- $1500.00
Describe William Dodds (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They prefer to transfer one. I did speak with Dr. Dodds and gave him my reasoning of wanting to transfer 2 and he agreed and let me transfer 2 embryo's. We transferred 2 embryo's twice.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
With our last transfer as the intended parents I felt left out of the cycle. They did not call me a couple times with results from my carriers ultrasound. After I spoke with my nurse she made sure I was called with all results
Grand Rapids

Dr. Dodd’s is a very caring and intelligent man. He personally called me to explain the results of the negative pregnancy test and met with us immediately after to start planning our next steps...We bumped up follistim to 187.5 because my follicles weren’t as large as anticipated. Had bloodwork/ultrasound every 2 days to track. When follicles looked good we scheduled the egg retrieval.
Heidi [nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan] was great. The front desk staff are excellent. They remembered me and treated me like family. The staff in Grand Rapids Michigan were awful. On the day of the mock transfer and ultrasound, the nurse did not greet me, did not introduce herself, and did not explain things as she went. She pulled up my shirt and started putting ultrasound gel on without even telling me I needed to lift up my shirt. When the doctor completed the mock transfer, both the nurse and the doctor walked out without telling me
Dr. Dodds is very kind and informative. A different doctor did my embryo transfer and I was very disappointed in how things were handled. Dr Dodd’s listened to our complaints and assured us this next round will be different. He helped us with cost as we didn’t anticipate a negative test. He personally called us to go over results and met with us to discuss moving forward.
Make sure you see Dr Dodd’s and not Dr young.
We started out with 150 follistim and 1ml menopure for the first 4 days. Seeing the doctor every 2 days for ultrasound and bloodwork. We bumped up follistim to 187.5 because my follicles weren’t as large as anticipated. Had bloodwork/ultrasound every 2 days to track. When follicles looked good we scheduled the egg retrieval. I was given IV sedation, antibiotics, and valume to take. The next day Dr young called stating we retrieved 11 eggs but 1 fertilized and was “Mediocre with no hope of survival but we will transfer anyway”. We transferred the one embryo. I was given antibiotics to take for 3 days (I think) and progesterone injections every night until pregnancy test results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Heidi )
Heidi was great. The front desk staff are excellent. They remembered me and treated me like family. The staff in Grand Rapids Michigan were awful. On the day of the mock transfer and ultrasound, the nurse did not greet me, did not introduce herself, and did not explain things as she went. She pulled up my shirt and started putting ultrasound gel on without even telling me I needed to lift up my shirt. When the doctor completed the mock transfer, both the nurse and the doctor walked out without telling me I can put my pants back on. I had to ask if I was able to get dressed and asked if there was a pad I could have. She said “yes” very coldly and walked out. I had to find the exit myself. She also assisted Dr Young (whom I complained about during my embryo transfer) during the embryo transfer. It was the same experience. Did not tell me what was going on, did not greet my husband or myself. Did not say congratulations or happy transfer day. They were stone cold. I told Dr Dodd’s how this made me want to stop IVF and I refused to work with them again.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Strengths: the front desk staff are great. Weaknesses: appointments being pushed out so far. I feel as though this clinic lost sight of what IVF means to the patients requiring treatment. This clinic does not send appointment reminders. This is the closest clinic to us and we have no other choice but to go through them. I feel as though that is taken advantage of and they don’t really know what it is like to go through what their patients go through.
There is a non refundable IVF treatment fee that is $1800. We were quoted around $6,500 for the whole process. Our insurance gave us a $25,000 lifetime limit and $10,000 lifetime medication limit. After the first round we have some left for lifetime limit and $1,000 left for medication. I did not expect this.
We were supposed to transfer multiple embryos. Our doctor preferred this. He said it had a higher chance of one embryo sticking.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
When going through IVF, all injections are done at home. They send you home with a folder FULL of paperwork and hope you get the dosing/timing correct. The first nurse I had (not Heidi) did not even demo the injections or how to draw/mix them. Heidi straightened this out.

2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Dodds has a great communication style and bedside manner...He really does listen and thoughtfully answers our questions, and he's really fair about giving his opinion both from a personal and professional perspective...Do your research before going in for a consultation - not because he won't explain it, but because it'll allow you to ask better questions and have a more productive conversation about your fertility plan.
First and foremost - you will be comfortable here [at the Fertility Center of Michigan]. Their waiting area is quiet, beautiful, and comfortable...I'm obese, and never once did Dr. Dodds or his staff make me feel uncomfortable about it, or allude that my weight was the reason for my infertility...All of the nurses, billing staff, and techs are lovely, professional, organized, and thorough.
Dr. Dodds has a great communication style and bedside manner. After our first consultation, he adjusted how he spoke to us based on what we needed and expected (i.e. nice but to the point and fully explained). He always makes sure that we understand what the plan is while taking into consideration what we feel most comfortable doing and he has never tried to railroad through what we want to try something else. He really does listen and thoughtfully answers our questions, and he's really fair about giving his opinion both from a personal and professional perspective.
I was definitely treated like a human and I genuinely haven't met a nicer staff. My only tiny complaint would be that we did have to remind them of some things and push to get certain files updated/added. Because of that, there were a few appointments that felt like they were just going through the motions without really looking at our file first.
My AMH is low and I have a diminished egg reserve, so my body doesn't ovulate on its own without medication. The first thing he did was get a full blood workup and sperm sample so we had all of the information available. Once it became clear what the problem was, Dr. Dodds put us on oral medication first (Clomid/Femara) at a slightly higher dose than I had previously taken from my OBGYN. We tried that for 3 cycles and increased the dosage. For the next few cycles, they had me come in for mid-cycle ultrasounds to see if my body was responding to those medications and to see where we could adjust our treatment plan to work better for me. Given my history of PCOS, they also started doing bloodwork to keep an eye on my estrogen levels in case they saw a cyst and 2 cycles were cancelled for that reason, thankfully. When it became clear that the oral medication wasn't working by itself, Dr. Dodds scheduled an HSG (after discussing it with us obviously) to make sure that my tubes were open and despite how uncomfortable the procedure itself was, it was the most mentally-pain-free experience because he and his staff told me exactly what to be ready for and how to handle it. With clear HSG results, Dodds moved us forward into 2 hybrid cycles, with both oral meds and injections. I was still only producing 1-2 good eggs per cycle so he prescribed 2 injection-only cycles on a higher dose, which were also unsuccessful. He limited those treatments because he didn't want to continue pulling 1 egg at a time from a reserve that won't last forever and I appreciate that he was very upfront with his concerns about that. He was also honest about IUI and explained that he didn't think it would serve its purpose with our situation and straight up told us it would probably be a waste of our time and money to go for that route, despite it being next up on the strategy chain. We had already come to conclusion that IVF is probably going to be the best option for us and he agreed, but knowing that our insurance wasn't covering any of our fertility treatment costs, he gave us a plethora of information on grants, saving, and full cost breakdown step by step. We are now in the saving-for-IVF part of the plan and will move forward once we are ready/clinics are open!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The best. There was one ultrasound technician whose methods weren't as comfortable for me, but as soon as I said something to the office manager, they put a note in my chart about it and were super understanding. All of the nurses, billing staff, and techs are lovely, professional, organized, and thorough.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
First and foremost - you will be comfortable here. Their waiting area is quiet, beautiful, and comfortable. Their consultation rooms and exam rooms are all comfortable, clean, and definitely a step above your average doctor's office. I should also note that I'm obese, and never once did Dr. Dodds or his staff make me feel uncomfortable about it, or allude that my weight was the reason for my infertility. They will make you feel totally at-home and they will be patient and respectful of your nervousness, no matter how many "silly" questions you ask them.
In 2019, we spent a total of $6,000 on treatments and co-pays. My oral medications were very affordable, I want to say probably less than $30 per cycle. Consultations are about $350, standard ultrasounds are around $275, a mid-cycle ultrasound + bloodwork was $315, and out-of-pocket injections were $600 per cycle through Freedom Fertility since our insurance wouldn't cover those. All other bloodwork and procedure co-pays were dependent on insurance coverage.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Our consent form for the injection cycles was initially lost, but they were really flexible about how I could get a new one sent to them (email, fax, next appointment, etc).
Grand Rapids

Dr. Dodds always addresses me by my first name throughout our conversations and looks me in the eyes whenever he is speaking to me. This makes me feel as though he is engaged in the conversation and not just going through the motions. He consistently explains everything fully and answers my questions until I am satisfied with the responses. He is always sympathetic when I return for treatment, and he genuinely seems to want me to have a successful pregnancy. I really feel as if he has a vested interest in me as a person and a future parent.
I saw ~6 nurses over the course of my 4 IUIs [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]. Most of the nurses were both knowledgeable and had a caring bedside manner. However, there were 1-2 nurses that were unable to answer my questions (and would not admit that they did not know the answer) and had more of an abrupt manner...Each IUI was ~$250...A lot of the individual treatment information is provided either verbally or in hand-written notes rather than prescribed packets or post-visit documentation tied to your patient account (that you can access as a patient). This can make your treatment confusing after you leave the clinic, although nurses are always happy to clarify if you call. The second downside to this clinic is their limited hours. If you need treatment information over the weekend, you must call their emergency line, and they may not respond until Monday (holidays are even worse). In addition, if yo
Dr. Dodds is very caring and experienced. He founded the clinic, and I believe he has been a reproductive endocrinologist for approximately 30 years. In addition, he specializes in PCOS, my fertility issue. Therefore, I have a great deal of confidence in his ability to maximize my potential to be a parent. The only negative comment I have about Dr. Dodds is that I think is so knowledgeable that he sometimes forgets that I (as a patient) am not. He is always happy to clarify any confusion, but the first time he explains something, it is not always clear (e.g., certain details are missing or he mentions a term we had not previously discussed).
If you have any questions or need clarification, please ask. Dr. Dodds wants to ensure all his patients have a clear understanding of their treatment.
I did 4 IUI cycles. 3 were with Femara (5 mg for 5 days) and Estrace (vaginally) because of a thin uterine lining on ultrasound. Estrace was taken before and after IUI. For one of the cycles, I did a stepwise Femara cycle, as the first 5 days did not produce mature follicles. This resulted in the production of mature follicles after the stepwise administration. For the 4th IUI, I took Femara (5 mg for 5 days) and Gonal-F (75 IU) injections prior to IUI. For all IUIs, I did an Ovidrel injection 48 hours prior to the IUI.
I saw ~6 nurses over the course of my 4 IUIs. Most of the nurses were both knowledgeable and had a caring bedside manner. However, there were 1-2 nurses that were unable to answer my questions (and would not admit that they did not know the answer) and had more of an abrupt manner.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic has a long history and many patients, so I feel that overall, this facility has the collective experience and knowledge that makes me confident in obtaining a positive treatment outcome. However, there are aspects of this center that are quite unorganized. A lot of the individual treatment information is provided either verbally or in hand-written notes rather than prescribed packets or post-visit documentation tied to your patient account (that you can access as a patient). This can make your treatment confusing after you leave the clinic, although nurses are always happy to clarify if you call. The second downside to this clinic is their limited hours. If you need treatment information over the weekend, you must call their emergency line, and they may not respond until Monday (holidays are even worse). In addition, if you have a full-time job, you should be prepared to miss work, as all treatments are done during the business day (8:30AM-3:30PM only). Finally, the billing department is incredibly disorganized, so you should be prepared to essentially keep meticulous track of your own financial accounting.
Each IUI was ~$250.

2020, Unknown Success
[Dr. Dodds] has made me feel top priority with just one ovary remaining...blunt as far as success may go when involving financial means. It’s unfortunate we have not met him in person as our initial was a televisit as we live a few hours away, and he was not the one who actually did our procedure...very basic IVF cycle as it was our first time...allowing us to transfer 2 embryos as we would be ecstatic with multiples.
Location [The Fertility Center of Michigan] was very easy to find. Accessibility is a plus...Although I didn’t always get [assigned nurse] they had my case readily available and took the time to listen to my thoughts and concerns even if I was “new” to them...very easy to reach the nursing staff...I ran out of medications and didn’t know what to do...helped me get them right away on a Sunday night.
Dr. Dodd’s is very knowledgeable and honest about RE care. We only have endometriosis and while that’s all we have standing in our way he didn’t down play the severity of my case. He has made me feel top priority with just one ovary remaining. A family is important to us and he was very blunt as far as success may go when involving financial means. It’s unfortunate we have not met him in person as our initial was a televisit as we live a few hours away, and he was not the one who actually did our procedure. However, I respect all of his decisions and appreciate his time and guidance throughout our first cycle. While it didn’t work for us, we are biting at the bullet to try again.
Just make sure you’re comfortable with your RE and their decisions because you may not have them when come procedure day.
Dr Dodd’s helped me feel like a human by listening to my questions and answering them without just statistic.
We had a very basic IVF cycle as it was our first time. It started with birth control, blood work and then waiting. It then turned into other stimulating injections, and trigger. We then had our retrieval 36 hours later in their GR office. And a transfer two days later.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Shelly)
Although I didn’t always get Shelly, they had my case readily available and took the time to listen to my thoughts and concerns even if I was “new” to them.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Location was very easy to find. Accessibility is a plus. It’s a little unfortunate they don’t have more accessible clinics in northern Michigan but a family is worth the travel. It was very easy to reach the nursing staff in time of need. I ran out of medications and didn’t know what to do. They helped me get them right away on a Sunday night.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I had my monitoring appointments at home locally which was very helpful. Results were called to me no later than 4pm
We have spent about 12k total on treatment and another 4K on meds.
I appreciated Dr Dodd’s allowing us to transfer 2 embryos as we would be ecstatic with multiples. Being fairly young and healthy, we felt it was a good decision he helped us make.

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
Dodds was wonderful in explaining the procedures that I would undergo. He was friendly and relate able. It seemed like he truly cared about us and our goals. Despite non of my cycles working, he changed plans each to hopefully give us a better outcome...First we completed a few rounds of clomid resulting in negatives tests. Then we moved to IUI's. We completed 3 IUI's on femara and ovidrel and one on Gonal-F.
The main office manager [at Fertility Center of Michigan] always remembered my name, which I really appreciated. The billing team was easy to work with when I had insurance issues and my IVF nurses were very helpful...Because of my age (35) two embryo transfers were recommended. Those that were younger than I, a single embryo transfer was recommended.
He was my favorite out of all the doctors there.
It seemed like he cared about me and my husband.
First we completed a few rounds of clomid resulting in negatives tests. Then we moved to IUI's. We completed 3 IUI's on femara and ovidrel and one on Gonal-F. I took a few months off after that. Next, we completed 2 egg retrievals. 1 egg retrieval resulted in 5 eggs, and 2 embryos sadly they didn't make it past day 2. That cycle included a prime of birth control and then increasing dosages of Gonal-F, Menopur and Cetrotide. The second egg retrieval was a mini dose IVF which included a prime of femara and low dosages of Gonal-F, Menopur and Cetrotide. On the day of the egg retrieval, I ovulated 5 hours before my retrieval. We did an IUI that morning. All resulted in negative pregnancy tests. Currently we are doing a couple rounds of Femara while clinics are closed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Libby)
The nursing and support staff were great! They made me feel at easy and were always available if I had any questions.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It is very clean and warm feeling. The main office manager always remembered my name, which I really appreciated. The billing team was easy to work with when I had insurance issues and my IVF nurses were very helpful.
Our first cycle was around 15K, but alot of that were medications. Since our 1 round never made it to a transfer, we were refunded the amount a transfer would cost. Our next IVF round was $3500.
Grand Rapids

I had already seen a previous IVF doctors and specialists over our 9+ years of infertility and numerous miscarriages. Dr. Dodd went through all of those results prior to suggesting IVF...[he] was very honest but encouraging regarding the odds of a successful pregnancy. He reached out personally with results and to make sure we had any follow up questions answered that may have come up...felt pretty strongly about transferring only two
The entire staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] was aware of the length and losses my husband and I have been through. They were very compassionate and patient. I was never rushed through visits, phone calls or questions. There were times when Dr. Dodd had called personally to go over tests and information were professional and punctual. I always was taken back for my appointments on time if not early. The rooms were very clean and well maintained. They were flexible with scheduling and had hours that could be worked around my work schedule as well as my husbands
Our experience with Dr. Dodds was nothing but exceptional care. He took his time explaining treatment and educating us with possible issues or complications. He was very honest but encouraging regarding the odds of a successful pregnancy. He reached out personally with results and to make sure we had any follow up questions answered that may have come up. When he called to tell us we were pregnant, he was excited. He shared this victory with us. We always felt like this was as important to him as it was to us. That's what we wanted and needed in a fertility doctor.
Make a list of questions. Don't be afraid to ask a million of 'em. He will answer every one of them and keep explaing it to you until you understand every bit of your diagnosis, results or treatment. He is a very patient Doctor and will walk you through all the steps.
The entire staff was aware of the length and losses my husband and I have been through. They were very compassionate and patient. I was never rushed through visits, phone calls or questions. There were times when Dr. Dodd had called personally to go over tests and information. When things went well he celebrated those victories with us as if they were his own. We always felt like we were a priority.
I had already seen a previous IVF doctors and specialists over our 9+ years of infertility and numerous miscarriages. Dr. Dodd went through all of those results prior to suggesting IVF. Some testing was eliminated due to an egg donation I had made over 13 years ago, prior to knowing I myself would have issues. (Both of the women that chose me as their egg donor were successful.) I had already had genetics and chromosomes checked as well. My husband had his chromosomes checked and everything came back normal. I can't really describe anything further, I had so much testing done prior by so many different doctors and specialists that Dr. Dodd had to go through it and come up with a game plan based on those. We were successful with our first round of IVF. Unfortunately I developed pre-eclampsia at 20 weeks and my placenta had back flow and my son was experiencing growth restriction. I was admitted into the hospital at that point.The maternal fetal doctor was able to hold off delivery until 23 weeks and 4 days. My son lived for 5 days, but unfortunately his lungs weren't strong enough and we lost him. We plan on discussing risks and possibly another round of IVF when the time is right.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Libby Walters)
Libby, as well as the entire nursing staff were amazing. There was always someone there answering the phone and they always had an answer. If they had to check with the doctor, they returned your call promptly. There was a few episodes I had with bleeding once I was pregnant and they were very patient and calming when I called upset and crying. Their calmness helped me to panic less. They never made me feel like I was a bother and were always very compassionate.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Absolutely no weaknesses. They were professional and punctual. I always was taken back for my appointments on time if not early. The rooms were very clean and well maintained. They were flexible with scheduling and had hours that could be worked around my work schedule as well as my husbands.
Without medications, we spent under $9,000. There were a few extra services that we had requested to increase our chances.
Dr Dodd felt pretty strongly about transferring only two. I've never had an issue getting pregnant, just staying pregnant so he felt like this was a safer approach than the three I requested. After hearing his reasoning, I was more than happy to just transfer two of them.
2016 - 2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Dodd’s always took the time to explain and make sure we understood every step of our IVF transfers. He was always upbeat and funny which is something that was so uplifting which made the whole process easier...He is very caring and compassionate towards his patients...He treats you like an actual human being and quite funny
We always felt communication [with nurses] was clear and straight forward...All of the [ Fertility Center of Michigan] staff are super welcoming and friendly. They all treat you like an individual and not a stastic. One thing that would be helpful is improving communication between staff and the ultrasound techs, there were a handful of times that I would come in and the tech wouldn’t know my plan of treatment.
Dr. Dodd’s is truly the best! He knows what he is doing and makes sure you understand every step of treatment. He treats you like an actual human being and quite funny!
Dr. Dodd’s is my absolute favorite! He is very caring and compassionate towards his patients.
I can’t recall the exact treatment strategies, but this last IVF cycle was a more modern approach. I was on estradiol and progesterone injections.
I found the overall process very positive! We always felt communication was clear and straight forward.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
All of the staff are super welcoming and friendly. They all treat you like an individual and not a stastic. One thing that would be helpful is improving communication between staff and the ultrasound techs, there were a handful of times that I would come in and the tech wouldn’t know my plan of treatment.
Over the past six years of going to the fertility clinic, my husband and I have paid around $30,000 in treatments.
When I asked staff, there was no recommendation on single vs double embryo transfer.
Grand Rapids

Dr. Dodd’s is a great person and doctor. He doesn’t rush through the appointment and thoroughly answers each question with years of experience clearly behind each thoughtful answer. He is understanding that this is a difficult and sensitive time for patients...I had tried clomid prior to seeing Dr. Dodd, and he explained that IN femara studies it have been shown to work better than clomid for pcos which I have. We tried femara twice which I ovulated with based on occupations tests and a progesterone level.
Nurses [The Fertility Ctr of Michigan] kind and compassionate, with you every step of the way. Detailed in keeping you updated on the plan and details for each new cycle. Staff communicate well with each other and with me.... They met me after each of my appointments to go over the next plan and future appointments which was appreciated. They were efficient at calling me back the same day, and working to make sure they retrieved any labs taken outside of the clinic.
Dr. Dodd’s is a great person and doctor. He doesn’t rush through the appointment and thoroughly answers each question with years of experience clearly behind each thoughtful answer. He is understanding that this is a difficult and sensitive time for patients, especially the woman. He is kind and detailed, with every script and note written, never missing one single fact. At the first appointment we talked about our personal lives, careers, and families including both his own and ours - which set the tone for each future appointment, making it feel like we were just meeting with a friend. We also met in casual settings that didn’t feel like a “doctor’s office” which contributed to our comfort. He is clearly close with his staff, which helped us trust him and all the staff at the fertility clinic, knowing they were a team all together supporting us.
Great doctor- he has perfect bedside Manner and is excellent at his profession.
My calls were answered quickly, my questions were taken seriously and given thorough answers, the processes were explained in great detail as well as printed out, the staff grieved with me with each negative pregnancy test, they also helped me find the cheapest pharmacy to get medications by cash. I also had a nurse meet with me at the end of each ultrasound/consultation to go over the plan and next steps.
I had tried clomid prior to seeing Dr. Dodd, and he explained that IN femara studies it have been shown to work better than clomid for pcos which I have. We tried femara twice which I ovulated with based on occupations tests and a progesterone level. On the second round I didn’t get a positive ovulation test so I added ovidrel in the third and fourth cycles to ensure good ovulation. On the third and fourth cycles we did a mid cycles ultrasound Which showed that my uterine lining was getting smaller, and on the fourth round, which I had increased the dose of femara on, I was still only getting one follicle, so we have decided to move on to injectable with ovidrel and IUI which I am doing now. He explained that injectables will stimulate more eggs and thus increase chances of pregnancy. He also said iui doesn’t increase your chances by much, but we still wanted to try this during these injectable cycles as we will do 3 of them and then move to IVF.
They met me after each of my appointments to go over the next plan and future appointments which was appreciated. They were efficient at calling me back the same day, and working to make sure they retrieved any labs taken outside of the clinic. They were kind and compassionate and I appreciated them greatly at critical moments during my treatments.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Thorough and understanding doctors with lots of experience. Nurses kind and compassionate, with you every step of the way. Detailed in keeping you updated on the plan and details for each new cycle. Staff communicate well with each other and with me.
$300 for each ultrasound - which were multiple in some cycles. $600 -iui. $500 - first months dose of gonal f. $50 - femara. $50- metformin.
Dr. Dodd’s suggested a 2 embryo transfer as that will increase our chances of success, with a reasonable chance of a multiple pregnancy. Also is it obviously a very expensive procedure, so that is to be considered.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
At my first appointment, dr Dodd’s put ovidrel in his office note but we hadn’t discussed it and it was prescribed. It worked out as I was going to start it anyway.

2014 - 2019, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Dodds] is very friendly and compassionate. Blunt but not too blunt. Good bedside manner. We haven’t gotten the results we have been hoping for yet but he is always very understanding and always adjusting my plan and listening to my needs/wants. ... Sometimes I feel like he is stretched thin and in a hurry but other times he really takes his time.
They [The Fertility Center of Michigan] are very organized and friendly. Sometimes they run behind on time but then there are days where I am in and out in a timely manner. They always are on the same page as the doctor. A weakness is sometimes I have to call and ask certain things before they get the chance to call me. I’m sure they’re busy though. ... The only issue was my ERA test-the scheduling staff kept wanting to change it to a different day and time not knowing that it is a time sensitive test and didn’t to be done exactly when the nurse sugguested.
He is very friendly and compassionate. Blunt but not too blunt. Good bedside manner. We haven’t gotten the results we have been hoping for yet but he is always very understanding and always adjusting my plan and listening to my needs/wants.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and tell him what you would prefer/want-he is good at listening to your preferences and then adding in his professional advice.
At first I could tell he didn’t remember me or my husband but then as we continued to go there he now remembers us and it very friendly. Sometimes I feel like he is stretched thin and in a hurry but other times he really takes his time.
Nursing staff is amazing, always so helpful and never make you feel stupid or crazy for your questions or concerns. Always called with results in a timely manner and showed compassion.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They are very organized and friendly. Sometimes they run behind on time but then there are days where I am in and out in a timely manner. They always are on the same page as the doctor. A weakness is sometimes I have to call and ask certain things before they get the chance to call me. I’m sure they’re busy though.
They were always in the morning and usually very quick. It worked for me because of my drive and then I just went to work afterwards.
Retrieval with transferring 5 day embryo with ICSI and embryo glue was roughly $10,000. My meds were around $3,000 and my montoring was roughly $2,500
We wanted to transfer 2 and he was okay with that, he never questioned it but I think it was because he knew I had poor egg quality and wanted to better our chances.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
The only issue was my ERA test-the scheduling staff kept wanting to change it to a different day and time not knowing that it is a time sensitive test and didn’t to be done exactly when the nurse sugguested. I feel like for scheduling staff that they should definently know that. Thankfully I knew it was time sensitive and stood my ground.
Grand Rapids

Upon meeting Dr. Dodds, he quickly explained to me that I had two options due to my age (39y.o.) ... He would have kept running the same thing over and over, even though we got no better results each time. ... No pregnancies resulted from all 4 IUIs I had done. ... He in no way was interested in discovering why we are unable to conceive. ...
Weaknesses: staff [The Fertility Ctr of MI] is not friendly, or welcoming. You are shuffled room to room for procedures and consults. No continuity in staff throughout a week let alone a cycle. ... It was obvious I had been crying. The staff checking me out, starting asking me about my bill, and a discrepancy with my insurance. ... It was a frustrating, confusing, stressful, and impersonal experience with the staff overall.
Upon meeting Dr. Dodds, he quickly explained to me that I had two options due to my age (39y.o.): 1) The "European method". He explained this as "...if you want a baby ASAP, I can get you one using IVF. I call it the European method because it's cheaper and used more often in Europe. It's like the deluxe package". Or we could go the 2). Conservative route. Which would be try more medicated cycles and then IUIs and see what we could get to happen. But that we had maybe a 15-30% chance of ever conceiving this way. I was, and still am, diagnosed as Unexplained Infertility. I do not have PCOS, endometriosis, or diminished ovarian reserve, I ovulate regularly, am healthy, and all tests have come back in good range. I believe the only reason he said IVF was my best option is my age. He in no way was interested in discovering why we are unable to conceive. At one time he used the phrase "Well it's a good thing that's how the good Lord made you!" when discussing female reproductive anatomy. He commented on how "great" my husband's sperm analysis was several times. He called him an "overachiever". I left feeling hopeless, pressured to spend anywhere from $10-25,000 for IVF with them, and that my body was a complete failure. I never met with him in person again. I went through 4 IUI cycles in which he supposedly read the monitoring reports and made recommendations. It took me changing Drs to get a new protocol. He would have kept running the same thing over and over, even though we got no better results each time.
Go in confident. Do not let him pressure you to make decisions. Ask questions, and ask them again. Ask that you see him in person once in awhile to check in. Ask if he personally is monitoring your cycle. I doubt he will, but I wish I had demanded it more.
The entire office is impersonal, and you can see a different nurse, tech, or doctor each time. There is little to no consistency nor connection with your primary doctor. You are called through the same process each visit and can see others doing the same. I felt like cattle being processed for ultrasounds and IUIs. I was rarely referred to by name. Doctors who had performed IUIs on me, did not remember me from cycle to cycle. I once walked into the wrong consult room (down a long hallway, all doors look the same) and Dr. Dodds welcomed me in and asked me to sit down. He was in fact waiting for a different patient. He was not my Dr. that day, didn't recognize me, (note: he is considered my PRIMARY Dr. and has met me in-person) nor, apparently, the patient he was supposed to be waiting for. I excused myself and went to the Dr. I was seeing that day.
My first medicated cycle, he had me do 100mg of Clomid days 3-7. I produced 6-8 mature follicles. They recommended we switch to timed intercourse rather than IUI to avoid multiples. Then, I used 50 and 100 mg of Clomid days 3-7 (alternating days), with transvaginal monitoring on Day 1, and then closer to ovulation. We hoped to get 3-5 follicles of good size. I produced these each time, with some of them getting to a very large size---38mm was my largest. Ovidril was used to trigger ovulation and IUI was performed around 24-36 hrs later. I used progesterone the day following and for the next 14 days. I was not told that progesterone could stop my period from coming and I needed to stop after a negative test in order to allow myself to bleed. This lead to quite a bit of disappointment and heartache right off the bat. By the time we came to IUI #3, my lining was severely thinning due to the Clomid. I then started using estradiol to help build my lining. No pregnancies resulted from all 4 IUIs I had done.
A new person every time. The ultrasound techs were aloof and impersonal. They seemed upset to be there. The nursing staff would make recommendations or changes in the protocol which were in direct contradiction to the original protocol. I never felt confident when they told me to change the protocol b/c they did not seem sure or confident when I questioned why we were changing. It was a frustrating, confusing, stressful, and impersonal experience with the staff overall.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Weaknesses: staff is not friendly, or welcoming. You are shuffled room to room for procedures and consults. No continuity in staff throughout a week let alone a cycle. I was crying with frustration in a consultation room once. I go myself back together and went to check out. It was obvious I had been crying. The staff checking me out, starting asking me about my bill, and a discrepancy with my insurance. I had fulfilled my deductible. She continued to ask for payment for services that were coming back as "going to deductible". I understand business, and this is one, but I was very obviously upset and it was not an appropriate time to ask for these things. This is still a very emotional journey.
With medications, consults, 4 IUIs, etc. about $7,000. A 10 min conversation with the Dr following my ultrasound would cost me about $150 each time. Ultrasound: $120 ea. IUI: $1200 +.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Among many other things: I had to call in for over a week to get them to call my specialty pharmacy for a prescription that was time-sensitive. I finally left a pleading message which led them to call. I was left at the blood lab at 8 in the morning without my stat lab order being called in in the appropriate time. I had to call repeatedly for 30 min to get them to call the order in so that I could get my blood drawn, get the recommendation for the injectible meds that afternoon, and get to work on time. I had to call off and on for 2 1/2 weeks to get my records sent to my new choice in fertility clinic (CNY Fertility; $3900 IVF. They are also groundbreaking and amazing) ahead of my consult (I requested this 1 1/2 months in advance). I hope to never have to utilize them ever again. Ever.
Grand Rapids

Dr. Dodds wants to try two cycles of hybrid medications with IUI to increase my chances of conceiving. I will be using Femara 5.0, and Gonal F at 450iu at 75iu per injection for a few days days, and a trigger shot of Ovidrel at 250 mcg/.5 ml He also gave me the success rates for all of the options that he gave me (such as, I could try Laproscopic surgery to check for endo but it would only increase my chances of conceiving by about 20%, or I could do the hybrid and IUI which on average 60% conceive within 3 cycles, or IVF which is a 60% change on the first try no matter if I have endo or anything else, with the added bonus of having egg retrieval and FET at the age of 32 instead of later in life, especially with my low ovarian reserve.
it is a nice sized clinic [The Fertility Center of MI-Kalamazoo] but it is kind of like a satellite clinic, they can do consultations,ultrasounds etc. there but for anything else you might need or want done ( IUI, HSG, IVF) you have to go to Grand Rapids to do. Which at times can make for time constraints especially for work hours. The clinic is also only open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (which isn't a problem for me but I could see it causing issues for some people depending on their work schedule or commute time)
Dr. Dodds was very well spoken and personable, he told me the findings of my blood work and what was normal or abnormal and what he thought we needed to work on. He have me several different options as to what my next steps should be, but also rated them as what he would "suggest if I were his own child" . He made it very clear that he wanted to get me to what my husband and my goal of having a child in the most cost effective and healthy way possible.
He is very open and will explain anything that you want/need.
Dr. Dodds took the time to look at my information and decide what he thought was the best for me, he was caring but also to the point. He seemed sincere and concerned for my best interest in all aspects.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Everyone was very sensitive and supportive, every time I go into the clinic I feel at ease and supported, everyone is very sensitive to the situation and you feel like they are all rooting for you to win
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
it is a nice sized clinic, but it is kind of like a satellite clinic, they can do consultations,ultrasounds etc. there but for anything else you might need or want done ( IUI, HSG, IVF) you have to go to Grand Rapids to do. Which at times can make for time constraints especially for work hours. The clinic is also only open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (which isn't a problem for me but I could see it causing issues for some people depending on their work schedule or commute time)
with no insurance coverage, my consultation was around $240, ultrasound runs around $275, medication costs Femara $6, Ovidrel $100 Gonal-F $450, Initial consultation was $375, Blood work all together was around $600

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
Dr. Dodds made me feel very comfortable and confident with his treatment plan. He told me all of the details and made me hopeful. The only thing that I wish could have done differently is that he would have suggested the hsg test before I started the Femara.... I had an ultrasound done and Dr. Dodds could tell that I had pcos. Because of the multiple cysts on my ovaries and infertility as well as some other symptoms he was confident
The strengths they [Fertility Center of Michigan] have are fast scheduling, prompt return calls, so caring and knowledgeable, great at explaining the next step. They have multiple doctors that you can see if your doctor isn't available and they are all great! When you call with questions they call you back within the hour and always answer all of your questions.... The nursing staff has been incredible! They make me feel comfortable and are genuinely concerned
Ask every question you can think of! There are no stupid questions!
He took the time to answer all of my questions and to explain the diagnosis of PCOS. He gave me hope with the treatment plan he decided and explained to me!
I had an ultrasound done and Dr. Dodds could tell that I had pcos. Because of the multiple cysts on my ovaries and infertility as well as some other symptoms he was confident with the diagnosis. He started me on Femara 5 mg for the first cycle. It worked but the second cycle we decided to add the trigger shot to take out the guess work of when I ovulate. Now this third cycle because I only had one follicle the previous two we increased my dosage to 7.5 of Femara with the trigger shot. I had one large follicle again. I have a consultation scheduled in a couple weeks if I am not pregnant to go over the next options.
The nursing staff has been incredible! They make me feel comfortable and are genuinely concerned and so caring every time I call or come in for my appointments. They make the visits each month as enjoyable as they can be.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The strengths they have are fast scheduling, prompt return calls, so caring and knowledgeable, great at explaining the next step. They have multiple doctors that you can see if your doctor isn't available and they are all great! When you call with questions they call you back within the hour and always answer all of your questions. I can't really think of any weaknesses at this point.
I paid everything out of pocket. Consultation $250. Ultrasound $200 Nurse consultation $75

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
I felt really good about our first consult in 2017. We had a solid treatment plan/ path established....we decided to re-consult. I felt like Dr Dodds didn't take any time to review my chart prior to coming in the room. He waffled on the recommended treatment course, at first recommending up to 4 more cycles of IUI. As we talked further, he backtracked and decided that IVF was what he was going to recommend. I felt like I had to steer the conversation, as he was saying things that weren't applicable to me
All of the nursing staff [Fertility Center of Michigan] has been beyond friendly and sympathetic!... I believe the clinic overall is a solid one. I believe they have very fair prices, but I do wish they would look into Invocell IVF. This would give people like myself a chance at IVF due to the lower cost.... Each round of IUI ended up being around $800. IVF is expected to cost around $10,000 plus meds, anesthesia, etc.
Strengths-I do believe he truly wants to help his patients achieve the end goal of bringing home a baby Weakness-I believe he is a very busy man and I didn't feel as supported by him as I would have liked. I think he focuses the majority of his support on IVF patients
Speak up about your wants and if something doesn't sound right or applicable to your case
I felt really good about our first consult in 2017. We had a solid treatment plan/ path established. We did 2 rounds of IUI, with the second ending in a miscarriage/ possible ectopic. We then took a break. Fast forward to 2019, we decided to re-consult. I felt like Dr Dodds didn't take any time to review my chart prior to coming in the room. He waffled on the recommended treatment course, at first recommending up to 4 more cycles of IUI. As we talked further, he backtracked and decided that IVF was what he was going to recommend. I felt like I had to steer the conversation, as he was saying things that weren't applicable to me or were untrue.
We did 2 rounds of IUI with femara and Ovidrel. The rationale was that due to my husband's lower sperm count and motility, having more eggs and putting the sperm closer to them would increase the chance of pregnancy. I had one negative cycle and one pregnancy that ended in a miscarriage/ possible ectopic
All of the nursing staff has been beyond friendly and sympathetic!
N/A we did not do IVF

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
He [Dr. William Dodds] had us try clomid for 6 rounds. unsuccessful. we then trying to set my body my body up for ivf, where my body did not respond to the drugs . this is when we found out that the D&C damaged uterus lining. he did everything to make sure we could have our family. he performed a surgery to attempt to restore my lining . unsuccessful...[Dr. Dodds] is caring . Explains plans in details. Answers all our questions. calls us back if we have questions. knows who we are
Everyone one at the clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is patient, compassionate and understanding. No matter how many times you call or email, they are happy to assist you with their knowledge...Egg Donor process was slow moving . they had us wait months for a certain nurse, who did not end up being there for our initial appointment. I like the clinic because they never are frustrated with things. they are completely understanding and show empathy every phone call, email, or visit.
Dr Dodds I did recommend to my best experiencing infertility. Reason is that he is knowledgeable and can run several test that may determine a solution. He always makes sure we fully understand the steps in the plan and what are options are .
This process is overwhelming . Your head is foggy with anxiety , sadness and negativity. Before you go to the appointment, write down your goals and questions
Dr Dodds is caring . Explains plans in details. Answers all our questions. calls us back if we have questions. knows who we are
when we first met Dr Dodds, I had miscarried three times. he understood getting pregnant was not an issue for us , but staying pregnant was . He had us try clomid for 6 rounds. unsuccessful. we then trying to set my body my body up for ivf, where my body did not respond to the drugs . this is when we found out that the D&C damaged uterus lining. he did everything to make sure we could have our family. he performed a surgery to attempt to restore my lining . unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Robin Strouse)
Everyone one at the clinic is patient, compassionate and understanding. No matter how many times you call or email, they are happy to assist you with their knowledge
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I think that being drugs for me, ultrsounds, tests, consultations,egg donor. We are well over 50k
Grand Rapids

Dr. Dodd’s was personable and answered any questions you had, but you only saw him once. The rest of the time you deal with the nurses...I was concerned about being able to get pregnant due to losing a Fallopian tube a year and a half prior to this appointment along with having PCOS. He was very thorough and kind about everything...We decided to try doing the IUI first because I still have a good Fallopian tube.
You have to go go between the 2 locations(Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids) because they cannot she the insemination procedures in Kalamazoo. The Kalamazoo staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] is amazing and very friendly and helpful. Grand Rapids staff not as friendly...[nurses] are amazing. They call you back that day to answer any questions, make sure you fully understand and don’t rush you. Very caring people.
The first time I saw him was at the initial consult. He was very friendly and answered my questions, and went over my health history. I was concerned about being able to get pregnant due to losing a Fallopian tube a year and a half prior to this appointment along with having PCOS. He was very thorough and kind about everything.
Ask as many questions as possible, even write down questions before going in. You only see the Dr. once.
The first thing is Dr. Dodd’s gave me a list of speed donors to chose from. We decided to try doing the IUI first because I still have a good Fallopian tube. The first time we did the Clomid and Ovidril. A couple of ultrasounds and then the IUI. This did not work. The second time they changed the meds to Letrozole and Ovidril, a few ultrasounds and then the IUI. This attempt failed also. The third time they did the Letrozole, Gonal-f injections, Ovidril and progesterone, about 4 Ultrasounds and then the IUI. This attempt failed as well. They were hoping I would produce more eggs and I still only got about 2-3 each time.
They are amazing. They call you back that day to answer any questions, make sure you fully understand and don’t rush you. Very caring people.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
You only see the Dr. once. You have to go go between the 2 locations(Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids) because they cannot she the insemination procedures in Kalamazoo. The Kalamazoo staff is amazing and very friendly and helpful. Grand Rapids staff not as friendly.
Around $6000 for all 3 attempts including meds, ultrasounds, insemination and donor sorry.
Kalamazoo
We had our egg retrieval [with Dr. Dodds] and got 22 follicles 18 were mature, 14 were fertilized, 2 were implanted and 11 were frozen. We resulted in a positive pregnancy but at the 6 week ultrasound it wasn't looking good. I continued to take progesterone injections and at our follow up ultrasound we found both embryos implanted but we're not viable and I miscarried...Was very knowledgeable and seemed honest with us every time we spoke. He seemed to really want to help us with our family and offered different suggestions we could take. He left a lot up to us on how quickly we wanted to move forward and supported any decisions we made for our treatments.
They [staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan] seemed to care about our situation and we're hopeful with helping us on our infertility journey...[nurses were] Very helpful with any situation. Always returned my calls when I had any questions I had regarding our procedure to make sure I was still following our plan and things were progressing normally...The only thing was when we had our miscarriage after our first IVF procedure [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] it was much harder to receive help...
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
They seemed to care about our situation and we're hopeful with helping us on our infertility journey.
We started with 3 rounds of femara resulted all negative pregnancy tests, had an HSG done results were normal. I started IVF procedures with injections in the morning and also in the evening. I don't remember every injection but was closely monitored by blood work and ultrasounds every other day. Once we got the okay I had a trigger shot and another injection. We had our egg retrieval and got 22 follicles 18 were mature, 14 were fertilized, 2 were implanted and 11 were frozen. We resulted in a positive pregnancy but at the 6 week ultrasound it wasn't looking good. I continued to take progesterone injections and at our follow up ultrasound we found both embryos implanted but we're not viable and I miscarried.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Great at providing a way to get pregnant. Offers many more options and insight that regular ob's are not able to do. The only thing was when we had our miscarriage after our first IVF procedure it was much harder to receive help. There were other circumstances and factors that occurred during this time which made it more difficult. In hindsight I would have found a better OB sooner to help with the process.
I was given a few options based on availability and I picked what I was able to do between my work schedule and office hours.
With our original insurance we had all of our procedures covered outside of a minor copay for each appointment. With our new insurance they do not work with so everything is now out of pocket even though our current insurance offers fertility treatments the same as our previous insurance it's just now out of network.
2016 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Dodd’s comes in the room shaking your hand always starting a conversation and never immediately about infertility. We never feel rushed while meeting with him. ... The phone calls he makes when the news isn’t always great is so sincere and positive. I really appreciate the time he takes during appointments and phone calls he makes.
The staff [The Fertility Center of MI] is top notch, a beautiful welcoming facility. They all do a wonderful job in making you feel as comfortable as possible and are great at making the stress of the procedures a bit less. ... There was not ever a line [for monitoring appointments] we waited in the waiting room as if it was a regular appointment. We scheduled the time we were able to make it
We love Dr. Dodd’s he was able to change up our transfer each time it didn’t work to try something different to try and set us up for success. After a failed fresh transfer and a failed frozen transfer he never made us feel like we wouldn’t conceive. After our 2nd frozen transfer we conceived and carrier our son to term. The phone calls he makes when the news isn’t always great is so sincere and positive. I really appreciate the time he takes during appointments and phone calls he makes.
Ask questions he is more then willing to answer them
Dr. Dodd’s comes in the room shaking your hand always starting a conversation and never immediately about infertility. We never feel rushed while meeting with him. He’s interested/ask question about things that are not related to infertility just to make it a less stressful experience.
We used the resistant uterine protocol on our last frozen cycle. I believe that is what worked for us. Unfortunately I can’t remember the entire process or meds that were prescribed
The nursing staff was always very kind and supportive during the process.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I do not have any weaknesses that I can think of in regards to the clinic. The staff is top notch, a beautiful welcoming facility. They all do a wonderful job in making you feel as comfortable as possible and are great at making the stress of the procedures a bit less.
There was not ever a line we waited in the waiting room as if it was a regular appointment. We scheduled the time we were able to make it
Around $14000 I believe with the retrieval and 3 transfers (1 fresh 2 frozen)
He was very set on not transferring more then 2. He did say the odds of successful pregnancy were slightly higher when transferring 2.

2017 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Dodds was understanding and was there for myself and husband if we had any questions along the way. He explained the process and procedures. He is involved his patients and wants each and everyone of them to have a successful full term pregnancy...I would say that patients will like working with Dr. Dodds, he is knowledgeable and wants what is best for his patients...My husband and I did 3 rounds of timed intercourse which resulted in negative pregnancy tests. We also did 3 rounds IUI, 2 of which resulted in no pregnancy, the last one did result in a pregnancy, but I had a miscarriage. After the miscarriage my husband and I met with Dr. Dodds to discuss further treatment. At the moment, my husband and I decided we needed a break from the treatments due to the financial cost and emotional toll.
The clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is warm and inviting, the staff are available to answer any questions that we may have along the way with our treatments. The staff is there to give you space or be there for you if you need to talk to someone...All the nursing staff were helpful and knowledgeable. They were compassionate and understanding of the situation my husband and I are in...we were provided with a list of costs and which ones were covered by our insurance.
Dr. Dodds was there for any questions I had about my treatment. He was very helpful and optimistic about my prognosis.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is warm and inviting, the staff are available to answer any questions that we may have along the way with our treatments. The staff is there to give you space or be there for you if you need to talk to someone.
At first consult with Dr. Dodds we were provided with a list of costs and which ones were covered by our insurance.
Didn't have these preformed.

2013 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Embryo Freezing
Dr. Dodds is very kind and compassionate and makes you feel very comfortable while in his care. He has a very positive attitude and explains things very well. Even after all my failed treatments he called me to say he was sorry and see how I was doing which I really appreciated. ... We started with 3 IUIs and when those failed we moved to IVF and transferred 2 fresh embryos.
I never have to wait long for an appointment which I amazing! They [The Fertility Center of Michigan] are always running on time. When I call I always get a call back within a timely manner and I am never treated as a burden or annoyance. ... We started with 3 IUIs and when those failed we moved to IVF and transferred 2 fresh embryos. ... IUIs were around $700, IVF around $12,000, and FET around $3,500. ... [monitoring appointments are] Very efficient ...
Ask a lot of questions and know you are in good hands.
Very kind, warm, and encouraging
We started with 3 IUIs and when those failed we moved to IVF and transferred 2 fresh embryos. When my first IVF failed I spontaneously got pregnant naturally 2 months later and had a normal pregnancy and delivery. After that we tried 2 frozen embryo transfers with different protocols each time to try to achieve pregnancy, but unfortunately the first was unsuccessful and the second was a chemical pregnancy. We then discovered I had some endometriosis and I had surgery for that. We plan to go back to IUI again now that I am recovered from surgery.
Everyone was kind and patient.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I never have to wait long for an appointment which I amazing! They are always running on time. When I call I always get a call back within a timely manner and I am never treated as a burden or annoyance.
Very efficient
IUIs were around $700, IVF around $12,000, and FET around $3,500.
No, we transferred 2 each time.
Grand Rapids

He was a very caring and loving man. He has passion to help create families and fulfill couples dreams. All though our first cycle with the fertility center ended in a miscarriage they helped me get back on track. I am hoping someday we will have our rainbow baby thanks to Dr. Dodds ... He started by increasing my ferma and added Gonal-f and ovidrel along with screen scans.
Very nice facility [at The Fertility Center of Michigan]. You just need to go in open minded and don't be afraid to ask any questions you have. It is hard to get someone on the phone but they are very good at responding to calls the same day. ... Some of them are very sweet and compassionate. A few of them make you feel like you are an bother to them and you should know your own answers.
Be ready for many ups and downs through the journey.
He definitely cares for his patients and is willing to see you when you have questions.
He started by increasing my ferma and added Gonal-f and ovidrel along with screen scans. The provider I was seeing in the past didn't do any monitoring so this made me feel so much better. He gives you up to 3 cycles before you move on to something else. After 2 rounds of meds and one miscarriage we moved on to IUI. Currently about to go in for another consultation and 2nd iui.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Very nice facility. You just need to go in open minded and don't be afraid to ask any questions you have. It is hard to get someone on the phone but they are very good at responding to calls the same day.
So far any visits have just been a vote pay. The IUI was paid for out of pocket along with the fertility medication
2015 - 2019, Successful
There were many appointments where I’d wait to speak with the doctor [Dr. William Dodds] and then the nurses would dismiss me because they were backed up or too busy. I talked to the nurses all the time and I’d wish I could’ve asked the Doctor more questions regarding my treatments and the results...I saw all of the Doctors there. Dodds seemed to be the most experienced with all of the challenges that arose during my journey. I also saw Dr Thakur and really appreciated the fact that she took her time with me to answer any questions and side effects that I could expect.
Some [nurses at The Fertility Center of Michigan] were very knowledgeable and helpful when I’d have questions and others would contradict themselves when deciding on the course of my treatments...There were multiple times when I’d go in for blood work and the nurses assured me they ordered them in the system. When I’d go to the labs and they weren’t showing them I’d have to call the clinic and or return to a different lab at a later time because of an error on their end
Do your research and ask a lot of questions.
There were many appointments where I’d wait to speak with the doctor and then the nurses would dismiss me because they were backed up or too busy. I talked to the nurses all the time and I’d wish I could’ve asked the Doctor more questions regarding my treatments and the results.
Some were very knowledgeable and helpful when I’d have questions and others would contradict themselves when deciding on the course of my treatments.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Over all most of the people there were friendly and knowledgeable. I am not impressed either Robin and a few others in the billing department. They gave me the runaround about a few of my claims that were covered by my insurance and they still charged me out of pocket. When I called them multiple times to follow up they were not professional in getting back to me and helping to get the fees reversed.
Unfortunately most of our costs were all out of pocket

2015 - 2019, Successful
I always felt extremely comfortable with Dr.Dodds and trusted him with decisions going forward with my treatments. Dr. Dodds always was open and honest about what he thought we needed to do and gave us choices even if he didn't think it was needed for us he wanted to offer the choice still...he always spent quality time with us and made us feel as a friend not patient or number
the fertility center [of Michigan] overall is the most caring doctors office I have ever been to I definitely felt cared for and not a number...they really care about you, they take their time with each and every patient and you are heard, I would say a weakness is how you get pushed around to see all the doctors during ivf I would have rather only saw my doctor...[the nurses] were wonderful they all were very compassionate
He is very professional and also cares about you as a patient and as a human. I always felt extremely comfortable with Dr.Dodds and trusted him with decisions going forward with my treatments. Dr. Dodds always was open and honest about what he thought we needed to do and gave us choices even if he didn't think it was needed for us he wanted to offer the choice still.
be patient
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: sandy )
they were wonderful they all were very compassionate
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
they really care about you, they take their time with each and every patient and you are heard, I would say a weakness is how you get pushed around to see all the doctors during ivf I would have rather only saw my doctor I had to see a few doctors that I did not care for during my last pregnancy where one doctor told me I had a chemical pregnancy and then I had a baby with a heartbeat the following week she was not great... the fertility center overall is the most caring doctors office I have ever been to I definitely felt cared for and not a number
Grand Rapids
We got the HSG test performed, a Semen analysis for my husband, as well as other hormone testing (LH, FSH, Thyroid, Costisol.) Once all the tests were negative we started with the cycle #1 [with Dr.William Dodds]. Back at my first appointment we did a round of Provera+Clomid, which was unsuccessful so we skipped that during the next round and went right to Menopur...I am working with him remotely, so I saw him via Skype. He was very informative and supportive to both my husband and I during our initial consultation. He answered all our questions and described our options very well (I'm a nurse so have a good amount of education on the process, but my husband however does not!) The whole team that works with Dr.Dodds has been phenomenal!
[The staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan are] Great Communicators. Very supportive team: Nurses, Doctors, etc. I am working with the team remotely (Living in Traverse City, they have a remote office from their Grand Rapids location.) This has been a lifesaver! I work full time, so going through fertility treatment if I had to commute to Grand Rapids multiple times a week would be near impossible. I have loved working with them, along with the staff at Grand Traverse Womens Clinic!
We got the HSG test performed, a Semen analysis for my husband, as well as other hormone testing (LH, FSH, Thyroid, Costisol.) Once all the tests were negative we started with the cycle #1. Back at my first appointment we did a round of Provera+Clomid, which was unsuccessful so we skipped that during the next round and went right to Menopur.
Grand Rapids

[Dr. William Dodds] Always provides answers and very informative...has been very helpful and understanding during our process. He has been blunt yet sincere at the same time. He always takes his time and makes sure that all our questions have been answered before we leave the office...Femara 3 tabs x 5 days Ovidrel to induce ovulation...I think it’d be nice to see the doctor at the IUI appointment or at least nurses communicate to doctor results (Sperm count etc)
[Costs at The Fertility Center of Michigan were] $600 per IUI ($1200 total)...$100 ultrasound each month...$100 Ovidrel each month...I think it’d be nice to see the doctor at the IUI appointment or at least nurses communicate to doctor results (Sperm count etc)...a medication was recommended after 3 failed IUI for my husband to take to help with sperm count, feel like it could have been discussed and recommended after first failed IUI
Dr. Dodds has been very helpful and understanding during our process. He has been blunt yet sincere at the same time. He always takes his time and makes sure that all our questions have been answered before we leave the office.
Ask questions!
Always provides answers and very informative.
Femara 3 tabs x 5 days Ovidrel to induce ovulation.
Very helpful
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I think it’d be nice to see the doctor at the IUI appointment or at least nurses communicate to doctor results (Sperm count etc) a medication was recommended after 3 failed IUI for my husband to take to help with sperm count, feel like it could have been discussed and recommended after first failed IUI
$600 per IUI ($1200 total) $100 ultrasound each month $100 Ovidrel each month Office visit