5.4

Traverse City
1200 6th Street
Traverse City, MI 49684

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
When we went for retrieval [with Dr. Dodds] we found we are probably a day too early. A lot of the eggs were not mature. In the end after the eggs were fertilized we had two nice embryos available. We transfer those two eggs while on progesterone oil injections and ended with a chemical pregnancy. Our next IVF cycle we knew I like to surge early,..At this point we went to a microdose of Lupron to help ward off my body wanted to surge on its own, went with a 450 does daily of injections and in the end we had 13 eggs retrieved and 11 of them were mature with eight of them fertilizing .
[The Fertility Center of Michigan] has an office in Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo that we utilize...The doctors rotate who is available at the Kalamazoo office and it’s more so used as a hub but any large procedures need to be done in Grand Rapids. All of the offices are friendly and inviting...The nurses do a pretty darn good job overall. I feel there could be a little bit better communication between them at times but overall they do a pretty good job.
How was your experience with William Dodds (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
We started seeing Dr. Dodds over the last eight months. Dr. Dodds took over a case from one of the other doctors in the same practice. Dr. Dodds has a very good bedside manner. We have gone through multiple IUI’s Trying to achieve a pregnancy well trying to be less stressful. We have gone through IVF years earlier while living in a different area and also achieved a pregnancy on her own. Being that we were able to get pregnant on our own we thought IUI could work. To our dismay it was not the right path and we took full punch back into the IVF world. Dr. Dodds had our best interest at heart the whole time. My husband and I are both in the veterinary medical field and Dr. Dodds was more than willing to explain everything so we would understand. We definitely like knowing the reasons why were doing things. During the hard times he still stood strong and now we have a new game plan.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Dodds (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
It is hard to wait... I know how long we have all waited to get to the next step. He does have your best interest at heart... it all will be worth it in the end.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Dodds (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Even during the difficult times he goes above and beyond with calling with his condolences. When we canceled a cycle he said he wouldn’t recommend going any farther with that cycle if it were him and his wife.
Describe the protocols William Dodds (retired) used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
When we first started we were unaware that my body like to surge prior to us wanting it to. We didn’t know if my very first IVF cycle well on the table for retrieval I was accused of not taking all of my medications as prescribed. I knew that was not the case, for being in the medical field I knew how important everything was,But was not aware why I lost some of my key players that day. Although during that cycle we had a successful pregnancy without any leftover eggs. So going through with Dr. Dodds I did let them know that I released eggs early we were in aware if it was from the time I receive the trigger shot or other circumstances. My first cycle of Dr. dad’s involved in a mix of Lupron but was not aware why I lost some of my key players that day. Although during that cycle we had a successful pregnancy without any leftover eggs. So going through with Dr. Dodds I did let them know that I released eggs early we were in aware if it was from the time I receive the trigger shot or other circumstances. My first cycle of Dr. dad’s involved in a mix of two injectables and we found I am not super sensitive to medications and I took a larger dose from myself to create more. This cycle when we were very close to a retrieval we found I had my own small lh surge prior to the injection. This is where we change gears we knew my body produce things quickly so we started medications earlier and the thought was my eggs matured faster. During IUI cycles I would normally surge between 11 and 13 days. So we knew I had early ovulation. So with our next IVF cycle we started medications earlier and stronger and when we got close to that area of concern we went for it. When we went for retrieval we found we are probably a day too early. A lot of the eggs were not mature. In the end after the eggs were fertilized we had two nice embryos available. We transfer those two eggs while on progesterone oil injections and ended with a chemical pregnancy. Our next IVF cycle we knew I like to surge early, But now also know the eggs are not mature at that point. At this point we went to a microdose of Lupron to help ward off my body wanted to surge on its own, went with a 450 does daily of injections and in the end we had 13 eggs retrieved and 11 of them were mature with eight of them fertilizing . We transferred two eggs, We were froze the remaining six eggs and this is the first time we’ve ever had freezable eggs and ended with a chemical pregnancy. We currently are planning on going through a mark embryo transfer but instead of doing the transfer taking a sample Biopsy to be sent out to make sure we are at the right timing. If everything works out the plan is to move forward with a June cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic itself has an office in Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo that we utilize. I believe they have one in Traverse City area as well for Michigan. We primarily use the Kalamazoo office as were adjacent to it. The doctors rotate who is available at the Kalamazoo office and it’s more so used as a hub but any large procedures need to be done in Grand Rapids. All of the offices are friendly and inviting.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Dodds (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
For cost there is a base fee, the base of each service we need it was all a cart.
Describe William Dodds (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I don’t have a lot of information regarding single versus multiple, but during our first IVF cycle, we were part of that one versus two embryo transfer study although when we got to the end we were kicked out due to the quality of eggs when we lost the key players ahead of time.
2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Each time that we went back he [Dr. William Dodds] always treated us with respect and made conversation bringing up what we had talked about in the past remembering personal details of the prior conversations.... Being in the medical field, I have seen the good and the bad and he superseded the good. He took time to call and empathize with my husband and I after we lost two pregnancies after IVF cycles. He called after hours to ensure our questions were answered and to apologize for our loses. He takes the time to talk about what happened and his plan going forward. He took the time to answer all of our questions and to hear what we have to say. He decides his plan of care around both of our emotions, what hasn’t worked in the past and suggestions that we have on what we have researched! He is compassionate and caring and it is clear that he wants the best possible outcome for everyone of his patients.
Each time that we went back he [Dr. William Dodds at The Fertility Center of Michigan] always treated us with respect and made conversation bringing up what we had talked about in the past remembering personal details of the prior conversations.... Being in the medical field, I have seen the good and the bad and he superseded the good. He took time to call and empathize with my husband and I after we lost two pregnancies after IVF cycles. He called after hours to ensure our questions were answered and to apologize for our loses. He takes the time to talk about what happened and his plan going forward. He took the time to answer all of our questions and to hear what we have to say. He decides his plan of care around both of our emotions, what hasn’t worked in the past and suggestions that we have on what we have researched! He is compassionate and caring and it is clear that he wants the best possible outcome for everyone of his patients.
Dr. Dodd’s is everything I expect to see in a doctor. Being in the medical field, I have seen the good and the bad and he superseded the good. He took time to call and empathize with my husband and I after we lost two pregnancies after IVF cycles. He called after hours to ensure our questions were answered and to apologize for our loses. He takes the time to talk about what happened and his plan going forward. He took the time to answer all of our questions and to hear what we have to say. He decides his plan of care around both of our emotions, what hasn’t worked in the past and suggestions that we have on what we have researched! He is compassionate and caring and it is clear that he wants the best possible outcome for everyone of his patients.
Just to trust that he always has your best interest at heart and if a cycle does not work that it is not always his fault, he is doing his best.
Dr. Dodd’s takes the time to sit down in his private office with myself and my husband and intertwines regular conversation with professional conversation. He is very down to earth and made my husband and I feel like we had known him forever and could share our fears and concerns. After 7 years of infertility he took the time to go through the entire history of everything we had been through and to devise a plan going forward. Each time that we went back he always treated us with respect and made conversation bringing up what we had talked about in the past remembering personal details of the prior conversations.
2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
[Protocols with Dr. Dodds were] IUI with Chlomid/trigger shot. Full IVF cycle long protocol. Two frozen transfers with Luperon injections, Progesterone injections & Estrace...Very good doctor...answers all of our questions...He treats every patient, family and treatment plan individually. He makes sure we know step by step the process and what to expect. He checks in on his patients and follows up with them. He ensures that we are on the same page and that we do not leave not knowing. He always reasures us for the best possible outcome, but also makes sure we know the odds and the statistics. He is very personable and very approachable. We never feel rushed and know that our family is in good hands with him and his team.
Great communication [from the nurses at The Fertility Center of Michigan]...always made sure we understood exact instructions...Great organization. The Clinical staff is awesome. They always have openings & accomidate their patient and family needs. They re-assure you that everything is timed just right so you never have to worry about the weekends or holidays interfering with your plan and process. They very thoroughly explain all of the patient instructions and are always available to answer any questions you may have.
Great Reproductive Endocrinologist. Dr. Doods loves his job and his patients. He treats every patient, family and treatment plan individually. He makes sure we know step by step the process and what to expect. He checks in on his patients and follows up with them. He ensures that we are on the same page and that we do not leave not knowing. He always reasures us for the best possible outcome, but also makes sure we know the odds and the statistics. He is very personable and very approachable. We never feel rushed and know that our family is in good hands with him and his team.
Have Faith and hope for the best. Dr. Dodds is amazing and fertility options do work
Very good doctor answers all of our questions
Great communication always made sure we understood exact instructions
None

2015 - 2019, Successful
Dr Dodd’s is the most compassionate and sweet doctor I’ve ever had. I always felt comfortable and never felt rushed even though I know he is a very busy man. Always explained things in detail and was very empathetic to us when I miscarried with our second transfer. He called to congratulate me when I got pregnant and he was truly excited for us.
The Fertility Center is a Very warm and inviting clinic with kind and happy staff. They Offer coffee and water while waiting. Clean and accommodating, I have NO complaints on the clinic. All staff that I have come in contact with has been great! ... It was suggested to transfer 2 embryos and I was clearly warned of the chances of multiple birth, etc but we both agreed that this would be the best for me.
Make a list of any question you might have because when you’re in a consult, it’s very overwhelming and you will forget to ask things. Dr Dodd’s is great with answering any questions you may have
Dr Dodds was so kind and compassionate and I never felt rushed and he was always more than willing to answer questions and elaborate when we didn’t fully understand something. I even received a phone call congratulating me on my pregnancies and also condolences when I miscarried.
I don’t really remember my protocols
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
All nurses were very kind and knowledgeable. Always there to answer questions when the doctor wasn’t available and if they didn’t know the answer, they asked the doctor for me.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Retrieval and fresh transfer was around $17,000. Frozen transfers were around $5,000 each

2016 - 2019, Successful
He [Dr. Dodds] is knowledgeable, patient and calm. He always had our progress and our charts available. Although we didn’t meet with him often, we were glad when he did because he explained things thoroughly and specifically. ... Four IUI’s with clomid Hysteroscopy for uterine polyps IVF: egg retrieval, fresh embryo transfer with injections and trigger shots; progesterone and estridol; frozen embryo transfer
Strengths [of The Fertility Center of Michigan]: knowledgeable, passionate, helpful, direct Weaknesses: communication, detailed, giving feedback I would recommend asking questions when feeling confused or unsure of what is next. We felt like when these office visits are so routine for nurses, we felt like there was broken communication between those in the office. I think what would help is to have the staff be more detailed in their responses and explanations rather than less because it helps patients understand the process and helps answers all the “whys”.
He is knowledgeable, patient and calm. He always had our progress and our charts available. Although we didn’t meet with him often, we were glad when he did because he explained things thoroughly and specifically.
Ask questions and for clarification when you don’t understand.
He treated me as if I was his own daughter.
They were well versed in procedures and office visits. Their communication between members of the office could improve as we felt confused at times when seeing different nurses.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Strengths: knowledgeable, passionate, helpful, direct Weaknesses: communication, detailed, giving feedback I would recommend asking questions when feeling confused or unsure of what is next. We felt like when these office visits are so routine for nurses, we felt like there was broken communication between those in the office. I think what would help is to have the staff be more detailed in their responses and explanations rather than less because it helps patients understand the process and helps answers all the “whys”.
4 IUI’s ($500 each) $12,000 for IVF-fresh embryo transfer $5,000 for IVF-frozen embryo transfer
It was completely up to us. He presented us with success rates, risks and benefits.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
We felt like front office staff didn’t communicate well with nurses at times. We know the clinic is busy, but felt confused at times.

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
I think Dr. Dodds is exceptional and he wants all of his patients to succeed. What I like best is even though I am under his primary care, all of the doctors have great communication and I am able to feel comfortable with any of them.... Dr. Dodds has discussed multiple times the risks of transferring multiple embryos and their clinic holds a strong stance on transferring one is best, which I respect that they are looking at the overall picture and the health of the mother and baby.
The main clinic [Fertility Ctr of MI] is in Grand Rapids which is where all procedures are performed but the normal appointments can be at one of their other locations, we went to the Kalamazoo clinic. We liked the staff at both locations, and appreciate that they know us by name and are always friendly. They are also very respectful when things go poorly... Every nurse I have encountered has shown great empathy and compassion and some can relate to the journey which is comforting.
Do your research, ask questions until you feel comfortable. If you are walking in with no prior knowledge regarding infertility, like I did, I felt very lost and confused but he is willing to explain things in a way for you to understand until you feel comfortable.
From the time we had our first consult we felt that Dr.Dodds genuinely wanted to help us succeed and every visit since we leave with that same feeling.
We took our time trying these out slowly. We started with timed intercourse with clomid and gonal f then moved to iui’s with gonal f, eventually moving to IVF which is where we discovered my egg quality was poor. We retrieved 3 times and I really appreciated that each time the doctors discussed my case and tried different approaches, however in the end my eggs are just too poor and we are moving on to donor eggs.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The main clinic is in Grand Rapids which is where all procedures are performed but the normal appointments can be at one of their other locations, we went to the Kalamazoo clinic. We liked the staff at both locations, and appreciate that they know us by name and are always friendly. They are also very respectful when things go poorly (when I found out I miscarried).
Though we have not had any transfers yet, Dr. Dodds has discussed multiple times the risks of transferring multiple embryos and their clinic holds a strong stance on transferring one is best, which I respect that they are looking at the overall picture and the health of the mother and baby.

2019, Consult
we have found that male factor infertility is a possible issue due to low sperm count. Dr. Dodds is working with us to try to help increase the sperm count with the hope that IVF could be avoided. He has suggested a male hormone treatment to raise testosterone levels which would hopefully raise sperm count...great bedside manner. Very approachable. He takes the time to explain medical terms and procedures...is very personable and we felt very comfortable asking questions. Our first appointment/consultation, felt a little rushed. After a few tests and blood work, we met again to go over the results. This appointment felt slower and we had more time to discuss next steps and treatment. We realize its hard to discuss everything the first meeting so we were not that upset.
The staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] is great about using names...The nursing staff we have interacted with have all been very friendly. We appreciate the use of our names and the approachable personalities...Based on research, we felt the costs were inline with other clinics. They do have finance options and offer info on grants...They are good about returning calls, but it has been hard to get a person on the phone at the time I'm making the calls. (My calls have been scheduling and billing related, not medical.)
Dr. Dodds is very personable and we felt very comfortable asking questions. Our first appointment/consultation, felt a little rushed. After a few tests and blood work, we met again to go over the results. This appointment felt slower and we had more time to discuss next steps and treatment. We realize its hard to discuss everything the first meeting so we were not that upset.
There is so much to learn, be ready to listen. Do some research before had, it will make the first few visits go more smoothly. Having some knowledge about infertility and treatments will help in asking questions that directly relate to your situation. Don't go alone, having a spouse/family member/friend will help during the down times to discuss all the info being shared with you.
The staff is great about using names. Dr. Dodds have a great bedside manner. Very approachable. He takes the time to explain medical terms and procedures.
We are still in the diagnostic stage of our infertility treatment. However, we have found that male factor infertility is a possible issue due to low sperm count. Dr. Dodds is working with us to try to help increase the sperm count with the hope that IVF could be avoided. He has suggested a male hormone treatment to raise testosterone levels which would hopefully raise sperm count.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The office itself is a welcoming and calming environment. They make every effort to protect your privacy. They offer a lot of info and don't leave anything on the table. You feel welcome to ask any questions. The biggest issue I have, is when calling by phone there are way too many prompts. I understand it is how the world runs, but there are so many prompts that sometimes I'm not sure if I'm getting to the right person/department. Whenever I have called, I always end up with a voicemail. They are good about returning calls, but it has been hard to get a person on the phone at the time I'm making the calls. (My calls have been scheduling and billing related, not medical.)
Based on research, we felt the costs were inline with other clinics. They do have finance options and offer info on grants. Overall, its just expensive treatment to pursue.

2016 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Dodds is very good at taking the time to make you feel as if you're his only patient. I feel incredibly comfortable voicing concerns (if I have any) and discussing options. He is trustworthy, knowledgeable, and empathetic...we have been doing rounds of menopur + timed intercourse. My body is reacting appropriately this time and we actually became pregnant on the third try; however, I miscarried at 6 weeks. We just began a fourth cycle with menopur + estrace and will do an IUI with progesterone suppositories to follow.
The nursing staff at The Fertility Clinic is very understanding, patient, and compassionate. They are very helpful and knowledgeable, having the ability to answer many of my questions without asking the doctor...Our insurance did not cover our IVF procedure which ran us $9-$10k, I think. Each frozen transfer is around $3k...This is a very busy clinic so at times, it is difficult to schedule appointments with your preferred doctor and wait times can be longer than usual. However, the majority of the time, they are very efficient and well-run. While I prefer to see my doctor, I trust the entire team and will gladly be seen by another partner.
Be open and trusting of his process. He knows what he is doing. However, don't be afraid to ask questions and push the boundaries.
Dr. Dodds went out of his way to familiarize himself with our case. He took the time to troubleshoot our situation and even called outside of office hours to talk to us.
We started with menopur + timed intercourse but I kept overstimulating, even with a change in doses, so we moved to IVF. I continued the menopur, did an HCG trigger, and we retrieved 18 eggs. We were able to fertilize 12, transferring two (fresh transfer) and freezing the rest. I started Progesterone in Oil (PIO) injections following the transfer. I became pregnant but miscarried at 9 weeks. After three failed frozen transfers (slightly different protocol each - #1 was identical to the first (prep with estrace, PIO shots after transfer), #2 we incorporated xanax, prednisone, and motrin, #3 we incorporated xanax, prednisone, Motrin, and zithromax), we did an ERA which concluded we were transferring in the wrong window of receptivity. Grew our remaining 5 embryos to blastocysts, transferred two, and I became pregnant. That resulted in the birth of our son. When our son was 12 months, we transferred our remaining blastocyst (one did not make through the thaw). I became pregnant but miscarried again - 6 weeks this time. Since then, we have been doing rounds of menopur + timed intercourse. My body is reacting appropriately this time and we actually became pregnant on the third try; however, I miscarried at 6 weeks. We just began a fourth cycle with menopur + estrace and will do an IUI with progesterone suppositories to follow.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Our insurance did not cover our IVF procedure which ran us $9-$10k, I think. Each frozen transfer is around $3k. My medications and ultrasounds are mostly covered - a $20 copay applies for each office visit. For my Timed Intercourse cycles, my medications are $50 - $100 total, depending on how much I need that cycle. I believe IUI, which we are hoping to do soon, is around $600.
Dr. Dodds did not have a strong preference on 1 vs. 2 but did properly warn us on the risks of multiples.
Grand Rapids

He [Dr. William Dodds] is smart and up on all new findings etc. he seems like he cares a lot. He was fast in explaining but did not feel overly rushed The one thing that made me feel awkward was he had a cold and did not wash his hands upon entering room. Not a big deal at all but I do remember that. His staff is very helpful and tries to explain the finances and money aspect. One thing I liked was that did read our prior doctors notes very quickly and thoroughly. He went into detail about our past procedures and I felt good about that
It’s pretty normal clinic [Fertility Center of MI-Kalamazoo]. Small but it has everything. The strength is that you can email and talk over phone about treatment. The weakness is the cost. It’s hard not knowing how much the exact cost will be. They try to give you their best estimate but it is not always accurate.... [the nurses are] Very good. Very organized and on top of things.
He is smart and up on all new findings etc. he seems like he cares a lot. He was fast in explaining but did not feel overly rushed The one thing that made me feel awkward was he had a cold and did not wash his hands upon entering room. Not a big deal at all but I do remember that. His staff is very helpful and tries to explain the finances and money aspect. One thing I liked was that did read our prior doctors notes very quickly and thoroughly. He went into detail about our past procedures and I felt good about that
Just try to understand the cost up front. Do research and just relax!!!
I thought he was pretty good. He explained the process and some strategy. I would say lacking a little bit of compassion- as we have had so many negative results with past doctor
He wants to use eggs that are already fertilized and frozen. He also wants to test everything prior to make sure there are no hiccups. I can’t go into too Much detail because I don’t know the terms
Very good. Very organized and on top of things.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It’s pretty normal clinic. Small but it has everything. The strength is that you can email and talk over phone about treatment. The weakness is the cost. It’s hard not knowing how much the exact cost will be. They try to give you their best estimate but it is not always accurate
I think it was expensive but comparable to others
I think it should be a couples choice especially after multiple failures. I don’t know if I would go too high but I think 3 or 4 might be reasonable if couple feels that way after multiple failures

2016 - 2019, Successful
He [Dr. William Dodds] would call me personally to talk about results or procedures...Such a nice Doctor. Completely trust him. He explained everything so well and was kind to us through each of our journeys to get pregnant. I always appreciated his calls to congratulate me on a success or see how I was doing after a failure...After 6 failed IUIs he suggested that we either start stronger injectables or begin IVF. After our first fresh cycle IVF we transferred two embryos and got pregnant with one baby. Most recently we transferred 2 frozen embryos and did not get pregnant. He suggested we thaw 3 the next time and pick the best 2. Which was good because one of the embryos did not make it. After transferring those two good embryos we did get pregnant and it looks to be one baby after the 6 week ultrasound.
They [nurses at The Fertility Center of Michigan] were always there to answer questions if I had them. They explained the medications that I had to take and when I needed to take them...They are very good at their jobs. They are helpful with questions and even provide monthly meetings for new patients to come and learn more about the fertility center. The weakness would just be the costs associated but I know there is not much they can do about that. It would be great if more insurances would cover some costs.
Trust Dr Dodd’s. He knows what he is doing and he is always looking out for your best interests.
He would call me personally to talk about results or procedures.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They were always there to answer questions if I had them. They explained the medications that I had to take and when I needed to take them.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
We had to pay out of pocket for everything except ultrasounds and prescriptions. That is the worse part about infertility, the costs are so high

2016 - 2019, Successful
[Protocols with Dr. William Dodds were] Clomid and scheduled intercourse - not successful...Clomid and IUI - not successful...Clomid and injectables - successful...has personally called me numerous times to discuss treatment plans. I was also able to contact him through email and he was quick to respond with an in depth, detailed answer. He is really easy to talk to and would talk to me about things other than my treatment plan (because sometimes that gets old and tiring). We would talk about his kids, my interests, his interests, etc.
The employees at the front desk [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] are AWESOME. Every time I am there they greet me with a smile and call me by my first name. They are easy to communicate with and have multiple means of communication. Their response time is quick. It's clean. It's professional...For the most part, they [nurses] are so nice. Two nurses told me about their own fertility journeys which made me feel so comfortable and at ease... knowing they had gone through what I was going through. Weakness - I didn't have one primary nurse so at times I felt like they didn't know my treatment plan. Sometimes I needed to tell them what the plan was,
He is awesome. If anyone out there is reading this and wondering if they should pursue care under Dr. Dodds, the answer is YES. I was nervous going into my first consultation. I didn't know what to expect. He put me at ease as soon as he walked into the room. He is friendly and personable. He opened up about himself which made me feel comfortable. He has called me personally numerous times to go over treatment plans. You can tell he truly wants to find what will be successful for you.
Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand something.
Dr. Dodds has personally called me numerous times to discuss treatment plans. I was also able to contact him through email and he was quick to respond with an in depth, detailed answer. He is really easy to talk to and would talk to me about things other than my treatment plan (because sometimes that gets old and tiring). We would talk about his kids, my interests, his interests, etc.
Clomid and scheduled intercourse - not successful Clomid and IUI - not successful Clomid and injectables - successful
Strengths - For the most part, they are so nice. Two nurses told me about their own fertility journeys which made me feel so comfortable and at ease... knowing they had gone through what I was going through. Weakness - I didn't have one primary nurse so at times I felt like they didn't know my treatment plan. Sometimes I needed to tell them what the plan was,
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The employees at the front desk are AWESOME. Every time I am there they greet me with a smile and call me by my first name. They are easy to communicate with and have multiple means of communication. Their response time is quick. It's clean. It's professional.
I do not remember the initial cost of the consultation. An ultrasound and nurse visit ranged from $275-$385. An IUI was $600. The medications were EXPENSIVE but that price depends on insurance so it is different for everyone.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I had a successful pregnancy though The Fertility Center. When we went back to try for baby #2 they told us we would start with the same treatments that we were successful with for baby #1. It took four failed rounds before i/they realized I was not doing what we were successful with for baby #1.
2015 - 2019, Unknown Success
Dr Dodds shows compassion and care while working with me as a patient. Paying close attention to how sensitive this is for anyone going thru infertility treatments. He truly shows care and is an amazing doctor....While meeting with Dr. Dodds he goes over everything with you slowly and carefully to be sure that you understand. He shows care and compassion during your visit and knows how sensitive it is for anyone going thru infertility treatments.
When you call to make an appointment [at the Fertility Center of Michigan] you can generally get in right away. Once you are a patient and going thru treatments making future appointments is easy and you can get in right away. If you call and leave a voicemail for their nursing staff with a question, they get back to you immediately.... The nurses also show care and compassion to myself and other patients taking into consideration how sensitive and private infertility treatments are.
If you are struggling with infertility see Dr. Dodds. He will be with you every step of the way.
We did 3 timed intercourse cycles. First and second cycles were with clomid and Ovidrel. Third cycle was a hybrid where I was on clomid, did the gonal-f and there was no success. So they stair stepped it with femara and it was successful with follicle growth. Gave and Ovidrel shot with progesterone.
The nurses also show care and compassion to myself and other patients taking into consideration how sensitive and private infertility treatments are. They are also gentle while doing ultrasounds and make you feel comfortable.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
When you call to make an appointment you can generally get in right away. Once you are a patient and going thru treatments making future appointments is easy and you can get in right away. If you call and leave a voicemail for their nursing staff with a question, they get back to you immediately.
Depending on your type of insurance, an ultrasound would cost $45, a 5 day dose of Gonal-F would cost $750. Clomid $10. Ovidreal $75
Grand Rapids
[Dr. Dodds]is very knowledgeable about the latest research, is kind with good and bad news, is honest and goes out of the way to make a patient feel heard and clarified anything that you ask...never made me feel as though my fertility and dream of a family was a lost cause. I knew my age was a factor and he always found a way to help me through the emotions... he said that my diminished ovarian reserve needed more of “the Cadillac treatment” the best medicine. Iui’s- two were successful but resulted in early miscarriages. Dr. Dodd’s reviewed the plan each time and is continuing to support me on my journey with the latest research
The nurses [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] are fabulous!! They are great in handling not only the physical aspects of infertility, but also the emotional ones. They remind you to be gentle with yourself and were always my biggest cheerleaders!...Iui’s were not covered and totaled $600...The clinic has multiple locations, but most of the bigger procedures take place in Grand Rapids. The clinic is clean, inviting, and the staff is always friendly. It would be nice if the hours at the clinics were more conducive to work schedules with later appointments. With that being said, the schedulers always did their best to find an appointment that supported times I had available so that I did not have to take a lot of time off of work.
Doctor Dodd is very knowledgeable about the latest research, is kind with good and bad news, is honest and goes out of the way to make a patient feel heard and clarified anything that you ask. Dr. Dodd never made me feel as though my fertility and dream of a family was a lost cause. I knew my age was a factor and he always found a way to help me through the emotions.
He is honest and will do his best to even be honest and supportive when the news isn’t always positive. Ask questions! He appreciates it and will do his best to answer to the fullest
Doctor Dodd personally called me when I had concerns and worries about my plan. He is very kind and gentle during this tumultuous journey
Injections- he said that my diminished ovarian reserve needed more of “the Cadillac treatment” the best medicine. Iui’s- two were successful but resulted in early miscarriages. Dr. Dodd’s reviewed the plan each time and is continuing to support me on my journey with the latest research
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Amy )
The nurses are fabulous!! They are great in handling not only the physical aspects of infertility, but also the emotional ones. They remind you to be gentle with yourself and were always my biggest cheerleaders!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
My insurance covered most of the meds- I paid $40 for each med order. Iui’s were not covered and totaled $600
2017 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Dodds is amazing. He always takes his time, looks you in the eyes, and treats you like a person. ... Dr. Dodds was so very empathetic and understanding of how stressful and unexpected it all was. He went over everything thoroughly and made sure I didn’t have any questions. He was unable to do my retrieval but he went through the trouble to call me that evening after the procedure.
All of the staff at The Fertility Center are downright amazing. Every person that I interacted with treated me as a person, with compassion and empathy. Everyone went out of their way to help however they could. I have trouble getting my blood drawn and typically need to lay down so I don’t have a panic attack. Everyday, my nurse would let me lay down on the bed and bring the supplies to me.
Dr. Dodds was amazing from our initial consultation to every visit in between. We found that we had to do IVF 6 weeks before my wedding, as I had a large ovarian tumor that needed to be removed. Dr. Dodds was so very empathetic and understanding of how stressful and unexpected it all was. He went over everything thoroughly and made sure I didn’t have any questions. He was unable to do my retrieval but he went through the trouble to call me that evening after the procedure.
I would tell prospective patients to be honest with Dr. Dodds about your hopes. Dr. Dodds is so understanding and wants to help you achieve your goals.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Everything with TFC was amazing. I can truly only think of positives. They have a wonderful waiting area for before appointments or for your loved ones. Every member of the staff is extremely competent and knowledgeable.
While I don’t remember cost exactly, Dr. Dodds & TFC are extremely reasonable in terms of Fertility cost.
2015 - 2019, Unknown Success
Though because of my pcos diagnosis we knew ivf was likely the route we’d have to go Dr Dodd’s was thorough and made sure to check over me and my husband as well. Rather than assume my husband was fine due to a child from a prior relationship he had my husband tested and we found his count to be very low. I am glad this was tested early.... He never feels rushed or bothered by my questions
They [The Fertility Center of Michigan] know what they are doing because this is all they do. This requires questions as needed. But they are very helpful. The phone he’s could be better for non-ivf patients. While they have satellite offices IVF is only done at the Grand Rapids location... A prescription and procedure was ordered but we were not ready to move forward with ivf yet.
I like how experienced he is. The down side of that is that while HE knows what he’s talking about and the plan the patient can be left with a lot of questions- but he is always willing to answer them :)
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. It’s a daunting process but he seems to understand.
He never feels rushed or bothered by my questions
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They know what they are doing because this is all they do. This requires questions as needed. But they are very helpful. The phone he’s could be better for non-ivf patients. While they have satellite offices IVF is only done at the Grand Rapids location
2017 - 2019, Successful
There was no preferred [number for] embryo transfer [by Dr. William Dodds]. We lost one during thaw so we had to thaw more and was told they most likely wouldn’t make it through so we transferred 2...He was super understanding and explained every issue as it became known. I always looked forward to seeing him and working with him. He wasn’t able to do it all which I understand. He worked with us on payments and helped us even when things were frustrating, new and confusing.
The clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is very busy so you must have a very flexible schedule to fit into appointments when needed...Everyone seemed super helpful...We did a multi cycle retrieval due to low egg quality. Lots of high and aggressive dosage...Julie [nurse] and i didn’t get along well. Sometimes I would feel overwhelmed and frustrated and she didn’t seem to care. Other nurses I encountered were amazing.
Just be patient even when you are overwhelmed. You will get through it
Everyone seemed super helpful and he was very patient
We did a multi cycle retrieval due to low egg quality. Lots of high and aggressive dosage. Folistim, progesterone-Im gave me knots, progesterone vaginally and other injections that I can’t remember
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Julie)
Julie and i didn’t get along well. Sometimes I would feel overwhelmed and frustrated and she didn’t seem to care. Other nurses I encountered were amazing.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The costs really add up and learning which medications to take when is a lot to someone so new to ivf. The clinic is very busy so you must have a very flexible schedule to fit into appointments when needed.
There was no preferred embryo transfer. We lost one during thaw so we had to thaw more and was told they most likely wouldn’t make it through so we transferred 2

2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Dodds honestly cares about the end result and how it’s effecting you. He’s gone out of his way to personally pick up the phone in good and bad circumstances.... Dr. Dodds is willing to explore all avenues and alters your treatment as needed. I have noticed that amongst friends going through treatment, he does work through trends in the market (uterine scratch, embryogen, etc.). He is upbeat and has positive relations with his team at the clinic.
The office team [The Fertility Center of Michigan] up front seems to change regularly but there are a couple of key long term employees I’ve noticed....Shana, the ultrasound tech, is the best! She is so sweet and knowledgeable.... My primary nurse, Sandy, was excellent....There are a couple nurses on the team that I would not rate as high either due to competency or low sensitivity.... I question the ability of the lab with ICSI. I need to research their success rates in comparison to other labs but I lost a lot of eggs after attempting ICSI fertilization.
Do your research and go through every option that you have available to you. For example: ICSI, time lapsed photography, genetic testing. Decide what is right for you and ask the hard questions including success rates with each treatment.
For our IVF cycle we did ICSI (which is apparently used on 90% or so patients at TFC), time lapsed photography (differentiates between quality and keeps them in one enclosed space versus taking them out to check under a microscope), day 3 transfer (standard at this clinic), and freeze all cycle (I was at risk for hyper stimulation).
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sandy)
My primary nurse, Sandy, was excellent. I felt that I was in great care with her from the beginning. There are a couple nurses on the team that I would not rate as high either due to competency or low sensitivity. I’d say the majority are above average in bedside manner though.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I question the ability of the lab with ICSI. I need to research their success rates in comparison to other labs but I lost a lot of eggs after attempting ICSI fertilization. The office team up front seems to change regularly but there are a couple of key long term employees I’ve noticed.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Shana, the ultrasound tech, is the best! She is so sweet and knowledgeable.
I became pregnant with twins after the first transfer (two embryos). We lost both of them at eight weeks. Therefore, knowing that pregnancy can occur, we opted for a single on the second transfer. Pregnancy did not occur, however.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I was overstimulated even on a low dose. This caused my estrogen levels to skyrocket. They chose to move me over to a freeze-all cycle. In some regard, a freeze-all actually worked out better for me though because I felt recovered before allowing the transfer.
Grand Rapids

I have only seen Dr. Dodds once, but he was pretty good when we met with him. He met with us in his office instead of an exam room. He took the time to review all of my previous tests and surgery.... I did feel like he was a little matter of fact and didn't explain things in great detail. He just laid out the plan and gave us the next step. I left a little bit confused and felt a little like we had been rushed into moving forward with an IUI.
It's a great clinic [Fertility Ctr of MI], but it's very big. I was hoping for more of a compassionate atmosphere, but it's pretty business-like. I do appreciate that some of the front desk ladies have started to recognize me.... Some of the nurses were friendlier than others. They all seemed to be very knowledgeable and I felt comfortable with their recommendations. They were always very matter of fact and never really asked me about how I was doing though. T
I have only seen Dr. Dodds once, but he was pretty good when we met with him. He met with us in his office instead of an exam room. He took the time to review all of my previous tests and surgery. He asked us about our jobs. He had a connection to the place where my husband works and he told a long story about that. I appreciated that he waited until the end of the appointment to talk to us about that. I did feel like he was a little matter of fact and didn't explain things in great detail. He just laid out the plan and gave us the next step. I left a little bit confused and felt a little like we had been rushed into moving forward with an IUI.
Make sure you ask questions! We didn't really know what to ask at the time but we felt like we left with more questions than answers.
Dr. Dodds took the time to talk to us about our jobs and life.
Dr. Dodds suggested that we start moving forward with an IUI. He put me on Femara, an ovidrel injection, and progesterone. He didn't really explain what each of these did or why I was taking them. After my husband and I discussed it, we weren't comfortable moving forward with the IUI right away. I called back and talked to a nurse about it. We decided to try timed intercourse first. So, she said to take the Femara and the progesterone, but I could wait on the Ovidrel. I went in for a mid-cycle ultrasound and the nurse told me when to have intercourse. After a negative pregnancy test that month, we decided to go forward with the IUI. Then it was back to the Femara, Ovidrel, and Progesterone. Then a mid-cycle ultrasound and the insemination. The Progesterone gave me really bad side effects so after I called and asked, my dosage was reduced by half and that seemed to help. I got another negative pregnancy test, so we started all over again. I am currently scheduled for another IUI later this week.
Some of the nurses were friendlier than others. They all seemed to be very knowledgeable and I felt comfortable with their recommendations. They were always very matter of fact and never really asked me about how I was doing though. This is a very emotional experience and I would have liked that to be acknowledged a little more.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It's a great clinic, but it's very big. I was hoping for more of a compassionate atmosphere, but it's pretty business-like. I do appreciate that some of the front desk ladies have started to recognize me.
My initial appointment and ultrasounds are covered by insurance. The IUI procedure was $500. The meds were ordered through a pharmacy and were $100-$200 each cycle.
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
I had a blood test done that I never got the results for. I finally had to ask about it a month later.
Grand Rapids

Dr Dodds does go over info in a matter of fact and easy way to understand, but also gets to know you as a person. He calls himself when needed and makes sure you understand the plans moving forward but respects how you want to proceed with treatment. ... We have done one round of IUI Femara Protocol so far. ... We have not conceived yet so are trying another round of that same protocol and increasing the dose of Femara
The [Fertility Center of Michigan] environment is welcoming and comfortable. They are professional and organized for the most part. Every person we have encountered has been kind and willing to answer questions. ... There was one instance where the nurse had told me over the phone that she would send the prescriptions in and they were not at our pharmacy after a couple days.
We are in the middle of our fertility journey so I haven't had too many encounters with Dr Dodds yet, however the ones I have had been positive. Upon meeting him he was very informative, but in a way thats easy to understand. He let us know what he thought the best plan for us was and also took some time getting to know us. He is professional but understanding and compassionate. He also called me personally the day of our IUI to discuss how it went and his thoughts for moving forward. We are confident and happy with the care we are receiving.
Don't be afraid to ask questions! He is more than happy to elaborate if you don't understand. Also don't be afraid to ask for a different option if you're not comfortable with the one he gives. For example, he thought we may be better off trying IVF but we decided to exhaust the IUI option first. He was supportive of this decision.
We have done one round of IUI Femara Protocol so far. We are using Femara, a mid cycle ultrasound, and ovidril injection. We have not conceived yet so are trying another round of that same protocol and increasing the dose of Femara
The nursing staff has been supportive, kind, and informative. They encouraged us when we were upset, answered all of our questions without making us feel silly, and have been incredibly professional during treatments.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The environment is welcoming and comfortable. They are professional and organized for the most part. Every person we have encountered has been kind and willing to answer questions. We were really nervous on our first visit but the nurses made it more comfortable. You will first meet with a nurse to go over your information, then your Dr will meet with you in their office. We were very worried that it would be a very emotional experience, but the staff and environment made it much easier than we thought.
We are only beginning. Our first patient visit we just paid a copay because our insurance covers diagnostic costs. The cost of IUI was $600 (not including our medication, that was an additional $120)
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
There was one instance where the nurse had told me over the phone that she would send the prescriptions in and they were not at our pharmacy after a couple days. I called back and another nurse could see that we had talked but that the scripts weren't actually sent. She sent them and it was taken care of quickly.
Grand Rapids

Dr. Dodd’s is a great doctor. He didn’t beat around the bush. He told us where we were at and what we needed to do straight up, all while maintaining a warm and open approach. He made us feel very confident in him...For the fresh embryo transfer they prefer to transfer 2 embryos..... He took time to be with us and answer any and all questions we had the whole way through.
Our ART nurse Kim is extremely knowledgeable. She helped us get all of our appointments set up. She ordered all of the needed medications and helped us get discounts to offset the cost of the medications. She went through every step of the process in detail and answered every question. I left my ART meeting feeling completely confident in my IVF journey at The Fertility Center.
Dr. Dodd’s is a great doctor. He didn’t beat around the bush. He told us where we were at and what we needed to do straight up, all while maintaining a warm and open approach. He made us feel very confident in him and of The Fertility Center as a whole.
Come with lots of questions and ask about anything you are unsure or confused about.
Dr. Dodds always wanted to know about our lives and what was going on in them. He took time to be with us and answer any and all questions we had the whole way through.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The Fertility Clinic has a great ambiance. It’s very clean and very welcoming. The waiting area has numerous resources for those who are going through fertility assistance. The ladies at the front desk are always on top of there game and get you checked in very fast. All of my appointments have started within 15 minutes of my appointment time. They are very efficient and run things well.
IVF - ART consultation, egg retrieval, embryo transfer = $8,000 Sperm analysis, wash, and storage = $1000 Ultrasounds = $225 (before insurance) Storage of embryos $400 a year. $100 charged per quarter
For the fresh embryo transfer they prefer to transfer 2 embryos.
Grand Rapids

I was provided information [by Dr. William Dodds] on the risks of single vs. multiple and the recommended number to implant based on my age...altered treatment for my second round of IVF to achieve better results. He is friendly and willing to answer any questions. However, it did not seem like he knew me as a patient and what my experience was and needed to go through my chart right before meeting me.
Even though I met with several nurses [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] over the course of treatment, they each were kind, knowledgeable, and were able to answer any questions I had. They took my concerns seriously and accommodated me as needed...There was just some miscommunication this last cycle with the medications I was supposed to be on and when I was supposed to start. It is unclear if it was more the pharmacy's fault or the clinic's, but it was stressful not receiving medications until the day before I was supposed to start my medications.
Dr. Dodds is very knowledgeable and has lots of experience. He is compassionate in the room and will call depending on the result. He also provides hope for future round of treatment. It may be that he has too many patients, as it seemed as though he did not remember me and needed to look over my chart prior to each meeting.
Make sure to ask lots of questions.
Dr. Dodds altered treatment for my second round of IVF to achieve better results. He is friendly and willing to answer any questions. However, it did not seem like he knew me as a patient and what my experience was and needed to go through my chart right before meeting me.
For my first IVF cycle - I was on the antagonist protocol with Cetrotide, Menopur and Gonal-F. This produced 13 eggs, 8 fertilized and 4 embryos. We transferred two on a fresh cycle and two on a frozen cycle on none of them stuck. For my second cycle (current), I am on the microdose flare Lupron protocol. Three days after stopping birth control I start on 20 units of microdose Lupron twice a day. Two days of that I began 450 IU of Gonal F in the evenings. I have also had an endo scratch and will use Embryogen for this cycle in order to help with implantation. Egg retrieval is in 2-3 days.
Even though I met with several nurses over the course of treatment, they each were kind, knowledgeable, and were able to answer any questions I had. They took my concerns seriously and accommodated me as needed.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic is very efficient in terms of planning for treatment and getting you in for ultrasounds and blood work. They meet with you after most appointments to make sure you are clear are the next steps. In terms of weaknesses, there was some miscommunication with the pharmacy regarding my medication and sometimes it can be difficult to get answers regarding insurance issues. But, overall, they care about their patients and want success for everyone.
IVF treatment with ICSI was around $9000; ultrasounds and blood work were separate costs. Medication was between $2800-$3400
I was provided information on the risks of single vs. multiple and the recommended number to implant based on my age.
Grand Rapids

Very nice and great bedside manner. He [Dr. William Dodds] is realistic but after 2 failed transfers he is not changing anything and that is frustrating. Clear with his plan of action and answered all questions. Did feel slightly rushed when seeing him.... I did the GnRH antagonist protocol due to my low ovarian reserve (low AMH) and the results were 12 eggs total with 1 immature, 1 did not fertilize and 10 fertilized embryos. We did use ICSI as our choice to increase our odds to be able to freeze our embryos. No male factor with my husband. He transferred two and froze 8. The goal was to have enough embryos to have for all children desired as my ovarian reserve will continue to decrease and IVF in the future might not produce as many eggs.
I do not have any negatives to say about any of the staff at The Fertility Center. All were kind, excellent communicators, compassionate, concise, knowledgeable.... Able to get you in for a visit in a reasonable amount of time, awesome staff, fair prices, straight forward billing, counseling available, quick phone calls back and caring doctors. At this time there are no weaknesses.
Very nice and great bedside manner. He is realistic but after 2 failed transfers he is not changing anything and that is frustrating. Clear with his plan of action and answered all questions. Did feel slightly rushed when seeing him.
Very kind and compassionate for what you are going through. Knowledgeable.
Very personable and funny.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I have Blue Care Network Nurse office visits-copay $10 Doctor office visits-co-pay $40.00 Ultrasounds were partly covered- out of pocket was approx $30.00 per US All labs were covered but had to use an outside lab--could not have blood drawn in the office. Hysterscopy with Dye was partly covered by insurance--approx $300.00 out of pocket Hysteroscopy with saline-partly covered but out of pocket was $100.00 Approx $8,000 for IVF, ICSI and transfer. Anesthesia was from an outside vendor and was $400.00 Medications ordered from outside pharmacy was approx $5000.00 for IVF (some were partly covered and some were covered but the out of pocket cost was more than the cash price so chose cash price). Endometrial Scratch-partly covered but approx $100.00 out of pocket 1st Transfer cost approx $5000.00 and medications an additional $250.00 through outside pharmacy.
He did not have any preference. He said due to my age we could choose 1-2 embryos to transfer and that our chance of pregnancy was higher, even with just one, as all my testing thus far was negative and I was 29 years of age.

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
It was determined I have a heart-shaped (bicornuate) uterus ... He [Dr. Dodds] has stuck with us and has kept us hopeful during a tough journey. He is always comprehensive in his treatment planning and when a treatment hasn't proven to be successful, he is great about tweaking things or offering other options. He is direct and very smart. He is also caring and empathetic. If I had to start treatment over, I would absolutely stick with him as my doctor.
Great staff [Fertility Center of Michigan], although sometimes tough to get through on the phone immediately to someone (obviously not including emergencies). Often I have to leave a message and wait for a call back to schedule or to have questions answered. ... IVF without PGS for healthy 28-30y.o. was about 8-10K. With PGS clinic cost is about 12.5K and seperate PGS fee is 5.8K.
Even though we haven't had our miracle baby yet, I still am so thankful for having Dr. Dodds as our doctor. He has stuck with us and has kept us hopeful during a tough journey. He is always comprehensive in his treatment planning and when a treatment hasn't proven to be successful, he is great about tweaking things or offering other options. He is direct and very smart. He is also caring and empathetic. If I had to start treatment over, I would absolutely stick with him as my doctor.
Schedule to meet with him if you have questions and make sure to bring a list of questions! He is great about explaining options and also great about listening to you.
When we first started medicated cycles at The Fertility Center, I rarely saw any of the doctors, but when I did, it was always a good experience. However as we have continued on through IUIs, then IVF, a miscarriage, the care has gotten more and more personalized and Dr. Dodds has been extremely empathetic, thorough, and generous. He has squeezed us in when the schedule was "full" and never rushes the conversation when we meet with him.
He first ordered blood work, sperm analysis, and HSG for diagnostic testing. It was determined I have a heart-shaped (bicornuate) uterus, otherwise we were unexplained. Multiples is a big risk with this condition, so he made sure to start me out on the lowest dose of Femara when I started medicated cycles. He had me come in for one midcycle US and we were able to adjust meds to get the anywhere from 1-3 follicles. After 4 cycles on femara, we met with him and he offered IUI or IVF. I was close to overproducing follicles a couple times (and again multiples is risky for me), so IVF would be more predictable. But, due to cost, we decided to do IUIs first and he was very understanding. We added in injectables to help with egg quality and ended up having to cancel our first month due to overproducing. After that, he had me come in a lot earlier and more frequent to monitor closely. The next 3 IUIs went smoothly (except for not getting a positive pregnancy test!). We then moved on to IVF. Before starting, I was on birth control for 6 weeks to quiet everything. We had a great retrieval with 17 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, all 16 fertilized, and 12 made it to day 2 freeze. I had to do a freeze-all because of risk of hyperstimulation. After our first day 3 embryo FET, I got pregnant, but miscarried at 10 weeks. I then went on to do 3 more FETs, all failed. We met with him after each FET to discuss next steps. He did try an immune protocol for resistant uterus for the last two FETs due to some indications that I may have autoimmune issues. This last FET we ended up transferring two embryos, as we hadn't had luck with single embryo transfers. After 4 transfers and 5 embryos transferred, we met again and Dr. Dodds had discussed our case with the other three doctors at the practice and gave us several options moving forward. We are now considering doing a fresh round of IVF and PGS testing all embryos, new and old. We got karyotyping done on me and are waiting on results. I also have a hysteroscopy scheduled for next week to look at the inside of the uterus to determine if anything obvious could be preventing implantation.
There are a lot and they are all super nice and helpful. Early in our time at the Fertility Center, I sometimes felt like I had to remind some of them about certain unique parts of my case, but as we have moved on to IVF, the nurses seem to be very up to speed.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Great staff, although sometimes tough to get through on the phone immediately to someone (obviously not including emergencies). Often I have to leave a message and wait for a call back to schedule or to have questions answered. But, everyone is always helpful! They run things efficiently and are good about getting back to you that day if indicated.
IVF without PGS for healthy 28-30y.o. was about 8-10K. With PGS clinic cost is about 12.5K and seperate PGS fee is 5.8K. IUI ended up being about 1.5K per cycle. Medicated cycles alone were pretty cheap, usually $100-200.
With a bicornuate uterus, we were encouraged to transfer one embryo. Not until our fourth transfer did we end up transferring two. Dr. Dodds went over all the pros/cons with us.
Grand Rapids

Dr Dodds is one the kindest people I have ever met. He was so caring and understanding. He helped us see the light at the end of the tunnel when we couldn't see it ourselves. He celebrated our victories with us and was always there if we needed it. He was willing to look into things if needed and would always talk over my options with us so that we could decide together what was best...Dr Dodds was always so kind to me and positive. He was open to things I suggested and answered all my questions without rushing me. He made me feel like I was the only patient every time he was with me.
$6000 for IVF not including meds or monitoring appointments $3300 for frozen transfer My insurance covered meds with a $150 copay for each medication and completely covered ultrasounds...Everyone at the [Fertility Center] Kalamazoo office is wonderful from the front desk staff to the doctors. The only weakness I would say is their open hours so you have to drive to the main Grand Rapids office sometimes but for the most part don't have to
Trust that he has your very best interest at heart!
My first retrieval we used follostim and menopur and then added in ganirelix when appropriate. We triggered with both HCG and lupron due to my history of mild OHSS. I did a fresh transfer with that cycle that resulted in a negative pregnancy test. I had 3 frozen day 2 embryos left from this cycle. My next retrieval cycle we did the same protocol but this time did a freeze all cycle. My first frozen transfer of a day 3 embryo using the long lupron protocol resulted in a chemical pregnancy. My second frozen transfer using the stimulated protocol (due to unwanted side effects with lupron) with follistim resulted in a successful singleton pregnancy.
Ashley is a wonderful, kind and caring nurse. She answered all my questions and would talk to me on the phone as much as I needed to feel comfortable. I can't say enough nice things about her!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Everyone at the Kalamazoo office is wonderful from the front desk staff to the doctors. The only weakness I would say is their open hours so you have to drive to the main Grand Rapids office sometimes but for the most part don't have to
My doctor recommended transferring 2 embryos each time which I agreed with

2015 - 2018, Successful
He [Dr. William Dodds] seemed to really care and wanted us to have a family almost as badly as we wanted to have one...I felt like if I ever needed to talk to Dr. Dodds about something he would make sure he was there for me. You can tell he has been doing this for a long time and creating families is his passion...suggested we move to IVF due to my age of 38...We were very happy Dr. Dodds allowed us to transfer 3 embryos on two separate occasions due to my age and my biological clock running out.
The Fertility Center is extremely knowledgeable and compassionate. Two qualities that are important and needed when a family is going through such a personal and sometimes devastating struggle to make their family bigger...Each one [nurse] again showed compassion and care for our story. Some of them had their own stories which helped to know they sort of knew the struggle we felt...We were very happy Dr. Dodds allowed us to transfer 3 embryos on two separate occasions due to my age and my biological clock running out.
We felt like family with Dr. Dodds. I think he truly cares about our story and knows how badly we wanted a family. On the visits we didn't see Dr. Dodds, we saw exceptional and caring Drs I felt like if I ever needed to talk to Dr. Dodds about something he would make sure he was there for me. You can tell he has been doing this for a long time and creating families is his passion.
Keep going. What you are doing is a team effort with Dr. Dodd's. He will do his part and you will need to do your part.
He seemed to really care and wanted us to have a family almost as badly as we wanted to have one.
My husband and I had been trying to conceive for 4 years prior to seeing Dr. Dodd's. We had tried several IUI's with my OBGYN. One resulted in a pregnancy that ended in a stillbirth at 30 weeks. We never got pregnant on our own or any other time trying IUI with my OBGYN. In the consult with Dr. Dodd's, he talked about trying IUI twice with Clomyd before moving to more intensive treatment. I got pregnant and then miscarried with my first IUI treatment with Dr. Dodds. He then allowed me to try more than 2 IUI's, knowing I was able to get pregnant with the first round. After the 4th or 6th (can't remember how many we did) IUI that year, he then suggested we move to IVF due to my age of 38. My husband and I were hesitant due to the cost. We soon realized we needed to take the next step to IVF. We contacted Dr. Dodd's to let him know we wanted to take the next step and then it moved fast from there. We did the egg retrieval a couple of months later and did a live embryo transfer (3 embryos) two days later. We froze the 5 remaining. I had a successful pregnancy and gave birth to our son at 36 weeks and 5 days in May 2017. We then did an embryo transfer of 3 frozen embryos in March/April 2018 that resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Then in August 2018 we transferred our last 2 frozen embryos with a IUI two days prior to the embryo transfer. This round resulted in a positive pregnancy test. We soon found out we were pregnant with twins. Then I miscarried the twins at 7 weeks. At that point I was done trying due to my age and all that we had been through. We are happy with our son in heaven and our son on this earth. We are so grateful to Dr. Dodds, Dr. Shavell and Dr. Thakur for all their support and care they provided through our treatments. They showed compassion and humanity and some of their own personal stories. I can not say enough good things about The Fertility Center's team of doctors.
Each one again showed compassion and care for our story. Some of them had their own stories which helped to know they sort of knew the struggle we felt.