5.4

Grand Rapids, MI 49525
Traverse City
1200 6th Street
Traverse City, MI 49684

He [Dr. William Dodd] seemed very experienced and knowledgeable, but my husband thought his personality was a bit odd. Though a bit odd, we still had a lot of trust in his expertise and care while at the Fertility Center.... I don’t recall the name of the IVF protocall, but injections that were used for egg production were Gonal-F and Menopur. We also used Cetrotide as an antagonistic and two different ovulation triggers. For the IUI we used clomid for egg production and ovidrel for trigger. The IUI was not successful, but our first and only IVF was successful.
The Fertility Clinic has the best success rates with fresh transfers of two 2-day embryos so that’s the approach they take. The 2-day embryos were different than a lot of other her clinics, but they said the female body is the best place for the babies to grow so they transfer them earlier than most clinics... They seemed very organized and friendly, but had several issues drawing blood from me. Had several different nurses make multiple unsuccessful blood draw attempts. With very frequent blood draws it was rather taxing on my arms and hands with multiple pokes.
How was your experience with William Dodds (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He seemed very experienced and knowledgeable, but my husband thought his personality was a bit odd. Though a bit odd, we still had a lot of trust in his expertise and care while at the Fertility Center.
Describe the protocols William Dodds (retired) used in your cycles at The Fertility Center of Michigan and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Describe William Dodds (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at The Fertility Center of Michigan.

2011 - 2017, Unsuccessful
Most of the staff is amazing but we had one nurse who was rude and inconsiderate...He [Dr. William Dodds] does very well trying to get you pregnant. He sits at your level and talks to you like a person. He shows he cares and he does his best with what he has in front of him. He let me ask whatever questions is have and allows me to be myself.
He does very well trying to get you pregnant. He sits at your level and talks to you like a person. He shows he cares and he does his best with what he has in front of him. He let me ask whatever questions is have and allows me to be myself.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Dodds (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
To come prepared with lots of questions and knowledge
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Dodds (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
He talked to me at my level and allowed me to ask lots of questions
He started with injections and ultrasounds and then did iris with injections.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Everything has been great
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Dodds (retired) at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Most everything was covered under my insurance. What isn't covered was iui and ivf
Grand Rapids
Dr. Dodds was always very candid and up front from the beginning. He never had me questioning anything that was happening. We made a firm plan from the get go, and followed through with it. I would definitely recommend anyone to see him. His bedside manner was great. I was very pleased with my interactions with him...He's a great guy who will explain everything you need explained...there was no hesitation transferring two for me.
Everyone [at The Fertility Center of Michigan- Grand Rapids] was very warm and welcoming. I didn't have any issues with any nurse...Dr. Young was the worst. Everyone else was great. Young couldn't even do an IUI on me- he had to have the nurse do it. Dodds was my primary, but I didn't really see him much for any of the actual treatments...Dr. Dodds was always very candid and up front from the beginning. He never had me questioning anything that was happening. We made a firm plan from the get go, and followed through with it. I would definitely recommend anyone to see him. His bedside manner was great. I was very pleased with my interactions with him.
Be patient. Not just with Dodds, but the entire process. He's a great guy who will explain everything you need explained.
Dr. Dodds took the time to explain everything and was very thorough and kind
Everyone was very warm and welcoming. I didn't have any issues with any nurse
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I don't remember him having many things to say about it because of my age- But, there was no hesitation transferring two for me.
Grand Rapids
Dr. Dodds always went above and beyond. He called me later in the day after surgery and the next day to make sure I was doing okay. After an IUI he would sit in the room and tell stories to help pass the 20 minute time that you had to wait to get up. He always went the extra step to make you feel important...used clomid, femara, gonal-f, and ovidrel in my treatment as well as IUI. I also had a laparoscopy to clear out endometriosis. After the laparoscopy I was able to get pregnant with a round of femara, gonal-f, ovidrel, and IUI.
[The Fertility Center of Michigan] is a very welcoming environment. You definitely feel like everyone there cares about you and helping you to have a baby. It is nice to be in a place where everyone is experiencing struggles just like you...The nursing staff is so helpful and understanding! They are willing to discuss any concern you have and always want to make sure you completely understand or are rid of your worry before ending an appointment or phone call.
Dr. Dodds is helpful, caring, understanding, compassionate, sympathetic, and anything else you could want in a doctor. Infertility is not a fun journey, but he provides hope and makes the experience the best it can be.
If you are having any issues with infertility, do not hesitate to see him!
Dr. Dodds used clomid, femara, gonal-f, and ovidrel in my treatment as well as IUI. I also had a laparoscopy to clear out endometriosis. After the laparoscopy I was able to get pregnant with a round of femara, gonal-f, ovidrel, and IUI.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
It is a very welcoming environment. You definitely feel like everyone there cares about you and helping you to have a baby. It is nice to be in a place where everyone is experiencing struggles just like you.
When I was receiving IUIs I know the procedure itself was $500. I do believe the cost has gone up since then.

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Dodds] was very real, caring, friendly, relatable. He also explained things the best as far as talking in layman’s terms. He was the only provider I had a comfortable IUI with, and a couple of times he was the only one who could get it right. His only weakness in our case was not providing a thorough enough evaluation or looking at the big picture.... They never ordered a semen analysis on my husband and put us through 5 IUI cycles (after several medication only cycles) with non ideal sperm quantity/quality. We had no idea there was anything wrong with my husbands sperm until we went for our 5th IUI
During the course of our treatment we saw all of the doctors at the clinic [Fertility Center of Michigan] at least once (there are 4) and they were very impersonal. The way the staff and dotors talked to us about our procedures and what they were seeing was like they could have been talking to anyone.... One of my IUI’s was awful because of the nursing staff. The main nurse could not get the catheter into my cervix so she poked it several times trying to get it in. Once I was in tears she got another nurse who did the same.
Of all the doctors in the clinic Dr Dodds was by far my favorite. He has the best bedside manner and personality. He was very real, caring, friendly, relatable. He also explained things the best as far as talking in layman’s terms. He was the only provider I had a comfortable IUI with, and a couple of times he was the only one who could get it right. His only weakness in our case was not providing a thorough enough evaluation or looking at the big picture.
Make them get specific about your individual case and why they are recommending a specific course of treatment for YOU specifically.
During the course of our treatment we saw all of the doctors at the clinic at least once (there are 4) and they were very impersonal. The way the staff and dotors talked to us about our procedures and what they were seeing was like they could have been talking to anyone. My initial consult was very short (with Dr Young) and he didn’t have any additional insight as far as the diagnosis I came in with from my Obgyn (endometriosis, recurrent pregnancy loss). I felt like my course of treatment was “this is what we do for all of our patients with endometriosis and/or recurrent pregnancy loss” rather than tailoring my treatment to my individual needs, considering all factors involved. They never asked for updated health information or changes. I developed hypothyroidism during my time going to the clinic, and that was found by my regular Obgyn at an annual check-up. They never once did a semen analysis on my husband, despite the fact we requested the need for it every time we were there (over a dozen times). When we went for our 5th IUI and were told my husband had no good sperm to inseminate we discovered every sample he had given was bad and we were never told! What a waste of time, money and emotions hoping it would work! What’s worse, all Dr Dodds had to stay at that insemination appointment about it was “maybe you had a virus that caused your sperm count and morphology to be off this month, let’s take a month off and you can come back and try again”. After that we had it and decided to stop seeking treatment there and my husband started seeing a urologist we found. In 2 years I never felt like I had a personalized experience, or that I had a thorough evaluation.
3 cycles of femara with ovadril and timed intercourse, 5 cycles of IUI using femara and ovadril.
One of my IUI’s was awful because of the nursing staff. The main nurse could not get the catheter into my cervix so she poked it several times trying to get it in. Once I was in tears she got another nurse who did the same. After that they got a doctor to come in and do it. I was bleeding and sore from the procedure and had to wear a very uncomfortable sponge (like an enourmous tampon) to prevent the semen from leaking out. After that I requested to not have any more IUI’s with the nurses. They were all very nice nurses, but seemed very “programmed” in there conversations and responses. They were not very personal or overly empathetic- all business.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I have several friends who had fine experiences at this clinic- once conceived twins through Ivf! Their experiences were all different from mine. I’m not sure what the reason was for them not thourougly evaluating my case or gathering all the information, but my husband and I were incredibly frustrated with their lack of empathy and communication regarding our individual situation. We decided to pursue ivf at a different clinic because we didn’t trust that they would do a thourough job managing our case and tailoring it to our individual needs. Our insurance does not cover anything for fertility coverage and we opted to spend that money at a place we felt we could trust and feel like true individual patients.
The office took my insurance so I only had to pay $25 for the consults (we had 4 I believe). The follicular ultrasounds were about $20 with my copay. Fertility meds are not covered under my insurance so that was all out of pocket. The IUI’s ended up being around $900 each (meds and monitoring included in that cycle)
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They never ordered a semen analysis on my husband and put us through 5 IUI cycles (after several medication only cycles) with non ideal sperm quantity/quality. We had no idea there was anything wrong with my husbands sperm until we went for our 5th IUI (on my husbands 30th birthday) and found his sperm sample was so bad they didn’t charge us for the IUI because they didn’t believe it would work. They STILL did not recommend anything other than taking a month off and trying a 6th IUI with hopefully better sperm. We spent thousands of dollars there in a 2 year time period. We absolutely felt like numbers rather than patients. We are now paying completely out of pocket for IVF at another clinic that is across the state from us (4 hour drive away). We wasted money, years of time (egg/sperm quality) and time off work all because they failed to treat the whole patient as an individual.
2014 - 2016, Unknown Success
he [Dr. William Dodds] described our first cycle plan with clomid with the purpose of doing an IUI. There were so many dates, and dosages, and steps to remember...He scratched illegible notes on a daily chart he gave us, and had us follow up with the nurse in a different room. We ended having a million questions for her that she had to go ask Dr Dodds about anyway. After we had a failed IVF, there was an awkward meeting with another Dr in the clinic, where he admitted that they probably didn't give the best medication protocol
It [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is a specialized reproductive endocrinology practice. They don't have mental health support, except in Grand Rapids. I contacted that person (twice) about any options for me not being local and never heard back. They don't assess men thoroughly. They didn't mention that the critical morphology was very low until 2nd IUI. They advised against needing to see urologist, but he did anyway and ended up having varicocele in both testicles. I assume this is because they don't put weight on this as a important factor.I recently got a Fertility case manager through my health insurance. This is when I learned that only doing 3 day transfers is not standard practice. I'm waiting to talk to the clinic about why they have not talked to be about 5 day transfer...
I described a lot in my last answer already. Of course, it's easier to describe the things that were off putting, than remember all of the good things. So, I'll describe two things that were on the negative side: On the first visit was a little odd that Dr. Dodds spoke a lot about how he used to practice in California and that he treated famous people (with success) and that he was such a geek that he didn't recognize who they were. It would have been funny, but he talked a lot about it. Also on that visit, he described our first cycle plan with clomid with the purpose of doing an IUI. There were so many dates, and dosages, and steps to remember. Also the office in Kalamazoo doesn't offer all of the services, like the actual IUI, so it was hard to remember where we would need to travel to other offices for what, or what days. He scratched illegible notes on a daily chart he gave us, and had us follow up with the nurse in a different room. We ended having a million questions for her that she had to go ask Dr Dodds about anyway. After we had a failed IVF, there was an awkward meeting with another Dr in the clinic, where he admitted that they probably didn't give the best medication protocol, and hinted that they would discuss in their group doctor biweekly meeting if they could help us at all with a future cycle (financially), but this help was mentioned again.
Prepare to have your treatment be really inconvenient if you work. Their Kalamazoo office hours are very limited, as are the services performed there. Their main office is in Grand Rapids. The thing is, there are no other RE offices in the county. I know the question says one piece of advice, but I have another note: especially if your insurance doesn't cover treatment, it can be very pricey. I was surprised though that the charges were less than what I had read on the internet were typical. Dr Dodds said their board of trustees makes sure they hold to something like cost + 10% for all charges.
Dr Dodds has always been friendly and open to myself and my husband. I appreciated when he would say things like "if you were my daughter, this is the advice I would give you." He also did wonders in helping my husband in understanding of all of this infertility madness. He explained the gravity of things, like going in hot tubs, that just was not sinking in when coming from me, or from the articles I had tried to get him to read. I felt like he gave us the right amount of optimism without over promising.
Antagonist protocol for IVF. Recommendation for microdose Lupron flare protocol for next cycle IVF. I recently got a Fertility case manager through my health insurance. This is when I learned that only doing 3 day transfers is not standard practice. I'm waiting to talk to the clinic about why they have not talked to be about 5 day transfer.
There are several nurses that attend to non IVF patients, so I saw about 4 or 5 different nurses. When I became an IVF patients, there are a few dedicated. They were always very nice and compassionate. Sometimes I felt like they were rushed, more so on phone calls than in person. When you call, you always have to leave a message and wait for a call back. I would sometimes be playing 3 or 4 rounds of phone tag. That is really hard when I'm busy at work. I have to note that on the first visit, with my husband, we met with a nurse who was usually in the Grand Rapids office. She was honestly clueless. Every question we asked, such as "where would my husband go with a sperm analysis" meant she had to leave the room and ask the doctor. If I asked, for example which day we would start clomid, she would say "I think it's day 3". I think, or I'm pretty sure are not good enough in this context! I never saw that nurse again and never had wishy washy, uninformed answers from other nurses. Calling and leaving messages is the only option for communication. The exception is during IVF cycle, they have Grand Rapids nurses on call so you can get a call back at any time you have questions. I was really happy to get a quick call back from a nurse to ask dosage questions.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Small regional office, which is a satellite from the main Grand Rapids office. It is a specialized reproductive endocrinology practice. They don't have mental health support, except in Grand Rapids. I contacted that person (twice) about any options for me not being local and never heard back. They don't assess men thoroughly. They didn't mention that the critical morphology was very low until 2nd IUI. They advised against needing to see urologist, but he did anyway and ended up having varicocele in both testicles. I assume this is because they don't put weight on this as a important factor.
HSG was over $1000. Each ultrasound is about $300 (2-3 per cycle). Clomid = $24. Gonal-f was $500. Blood tests are about $250 each cycle. In my first 6 months of treatment it cost approx $2000 total for two cancelled IUI cycles. IUI about 5k each with medications IVF with ICSI close to 20k with medications, monitoring, anesthesia, and blood tests
What specific things went wrong at The Fertility Center of Michigan?
There was a pointing fingers moment when a prescription was not filled when I arrived at the pharmacy. The office said they had, the pharmacy said they had not. Then there was question about the dosage. It was a total pain in the ass. Since I had to start taking the next day, I had to drive 90 minutes out of the way to another pharmacy, since the closer pharmacies did not have it in stock. If they would have received the script when the dr office said they sent it, there would have been plenty of time to order. During IVF cycle there was a medication missed in the order. Also unclear if it was all on the nurse, or the pharmacy. It's just very stressful to have a 24hr window to work it out before it's a catastrophe for the cycle, and to be spending so much time calling in between clinic, pharmacy, etc while at work. Two instances of conflicting info: the first was when they gave Fertility pharmacy a discount code for injectables on my behalf, but it was not applicable since I don't have a co-pay. I could had gotten cheap meds if that had been clear. Lastly, on the mid cycle appointment before my IUI, the nurse said not to inject the ovidril, but then called 5 mins after I left the office to tell me that dr Dodds said to inject. That was fine, since I could get my husband to bring the shot.
Kalamazoo
Dr Dodds sat down with both my husband and myself and explained everything regarding our infertility in a manner that we both could fully understand. He was very compassionate and understanding. He didn’t make us feel like “another statistic”. His calm demeanor took away as much stress and anxiety that could be taken away. He was all around wonderful.
Everyone at The Fertility Center we’re incredibly compassionate and understanding. They helped to make the experience less nerve wrecking. They were very kind and professional. They explained everything that they did, and why they were doing it. They included my husband and myself in every part of the planning. They also allowed my mother in law to be there for a large majority of treatment.
Dr. Dodds was very compassionate and understanding of what myself and my husband were going through. He explained himself thoroughly. He was very kind and calm when he spoke to us. He was very matter of fact, which I appreciate in a doctor.
Write a list of questions down that you may have.
He put me on metformin to help control my hormones, tried a cycle with clomid trying to conceive naturally. And did two cycles with injectables. One, he had us try naturally because my eggs weren’t as mature as he would have liked, and the second we tried IUI. All three cycles ended in a negative pregnancy result. We could not continue to try, because our insurance doesn’t cover treatment.
They were all so incredibly kind. They made the entire experience a little more comfortable.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Our insurance paid for a portion of office visits, but did not pay for treatment or medication. But, the prices were not that terrible.
I do not fully remember, but I do believe he said they suggest no more than two embryos to be transferred.

2013 - 2016, Successful
Occasionally we felt as though Dr. Dodd's had a general statement he said to everyone, didn't feel too individualized. But that doesn't factor into how he provides care....Lupron flare protocol is what worked best for good embryos for me and resulted in pregnancy each time. I also used human growth hormone the second cycle and believe it worked very well for my diagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve/poor responde
Having two insurances has always been confusing for the billing department here [at The Fertility Center]. I feel like I have to constantly remind them to bill the second insurance. Other times I would get a bill for balance after one insurance company was billed but before the second one could respond for payment or non payment.
We are forever thankful to Dr. Dodd's for his expertise and experience. He is honest and trustworthy in managing care.
Write a list of questions before hand and bring them to appointments with you.
Lupron flare protocol is what worked best for good embryos for me and resulted in pregnancy each time. I also used human growth hormone the second cycle and believe it worked very well for my diagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve/poor responder.
Describe your experience with your nurse at The Fertility Center of Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Sandy)
IVF patients have a separate line for questions and nurses. They all know your cycle and there is only one that is hard to understand/more difficult to communicate with.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Having two insurances has always been confusing for the billing department here. I feel like I have to constantly remind them to bill the second insurance. Other times I would get a bill for balance after one insurance company was billed but before the second one could respond for payment or non payment.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Ultrasounds were scheduled at a hospital closer in location to where I live for my convenience.
Each patient is different for costs as well as procedures needed.

2014 - 2016, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Dodd] was very kind. Good bedside manners and explained procedures and tests thoroughly. While I knew he was very busy I never felt like he was rushed to see the next patient. He was also very professional and kind given our situation with a gestational carrier, who happened to be a friend...Always very kind. Called me personally after each loss.... Sometimes difficult when calling into the office as our situation included our gestational carrier. Even though we signed releases they still had to speak with her first about everything - including pregnancy results, which was frustrating.
Nurses were fantastic in the office. Sometimes difficult when calling into the office as our situation included our gestational carrier. Even though we signed releases they still had to speak with her first about everything - including pregnancy results, which was frustrating....Friendly staff. Somewhat frustrating with gestational carrier situations as they [The Fert Ctr - Grand Rapids] call carrier first with all results. With pregnancy results it was hard to wait for results until she was notified first....
He was very kind. Good bedside manners and explained procedures and tests thoroughly. While I knew he was very busy I never felt like he was rushed to see the next patient. He was also very professional and kind given our situation with a gestational carrier, who happened to be a friend.
Have honest expectations of the process. Not everything is an exact science and the doctors do everything in their power to provide you with the best possible outcomes.
Always very kind. Called me personally after each loss.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Friendly staff. Somewhat frustrating with gestational carrier situations as they call carrier first with all results. With pregnancy results it was hard to wait for results until she was notified first.
Roughly 18-20k
Dr Doods and the team only ever encouraged single embryo transfer due to our age and health. I agreed with this advice.
Grand Rapids
Dr. Dodds actually sat down to speak with me about all options possible. Only downside to me is, I would like to see more of him when cycles dont work to explain a better solution instead of using his nurses...Most of my cycles consisted of taking Femara cd3-7 then doing Gonal F injections cd7-14 then on cd25 i would take the trigger shot. Never got a positive pregnancy test on any cycle.
Clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] is very clean, neat and the staff there is very friendly and well mannered. They get to know each patient to make you feel comfortable. They treat you as a human and not like a number. Theres nothing i would change about this clinic or staff...They talked to me, not at me and answered all my questions.
That Dr. Dodds actually cares about his patients
They talked to me, not at me and answered all my questions.
All his nurses are extremely awesome and have great attitudes.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Clinic is very clean, neat and the staff there is very friendly and well mannered. They get to know each patient to make you feel comfortable. They treat you as a human and not like a number. Theres nothing i would change about this clinic or staff.
Femara - $100/cycle Gonal F - $600/cycle Trigger shot - $200/cycle Blood work and Ultrasounds were covered by insurance (no longer have).
Kalamazoo

Dr. Dodd's is amazingly compassionate! He wil explain everything that is happening in a way everyone can understand, and walk you through the whole process. He makes sure you are comfortable every step of the way....Dr. Dodd's explained the pros and cons of transferring one embryo as opposed to 2, but after speaking to him and my husband, the 3 of us decided what was best in our situation.
There are multiple doctor's, which gives you a choice for who you see. They [Fertility Center of Michigan] also provide a wide array of services and are incredibly knowledgeable. I also like that there are several offices, other than just Grand Rapids, where monitoring can be done. They are helpful when it comes to questions and concerns and I always feel like I mean something to the doctors and staff.
Dr.Dodd's is a brilliant doctor with compassion and excellent bedside manner. While I understand the science involved in IVF, as a Christian woman, it was important for me to hold on to my faith as well as believe in everything the team was doing. After my transfers, Dr.Dodd's would always let me know he was praying for us! That meant so much to me!
Ask as many questions as you want...he is very patient and happy to answer anything for you.
After injections and egg retrieval, we planned a fresh transfer of 2 embryos. 2 we're used due to my age and infertility factors on both sides(male and female). The fresh transfer did not work. In the meantime we had frozen the remaining embryos. Next we did a frozen transfer of 2, due to the thawing process and again, the reasons for infertility. That transfer worked and the result was fraternal twin girls.
I can't remember a nurse from the team that I didn't like! They were well trained, compassionate, and helpful through everything. I could call at anytime and get prompt responses.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
There are multiple doctor's, which gives you a choice for who you see. They also provide a wide array of services and are incredibly knowledgeable. I also like that there are several offices, other than just Grand Rapids, where monitoring can be done. They are helpful when it comes to questions and concerns and I always feel like I mean something to the doctors and staff.
My insurance provided coverage for appointments but no coverage for egg retrieval, transfers, or meds. Care credit is available to patients if they have credit for it.
2012 - 2016, Successful
Dr. Dodds does a wonderful job of explaining things. However, I have a background in the medical field so I easily understood what he was saying. My husband left a couple appointments asking me to clarify. I'm confident Dr. Dodds would have been happy to explain in more detail had we asked him...when I called a few days after my embryo transfer complaining of abdominal pain, he immediately worked me into his schedule and found I had OHSS and drained it all right then.
I felt overall the nursing staff [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] did very well. I did feel a little blindsided at my first IUI monitoring appointment as no one had told me what the ultrasound would entail. Also, every time an appointment ended no one told me where to go - consultant room, checkout, or if I was even done...Overall, I love the clinic. My husband commented that he preferred there be a more discreet way of dropping off samples as you just walk you to the front desk and hand them to them, but at the same time most everyone is there for the same reason.
From the very beginning, I felt comfortable with Dr. Dodds. I felt he took the time to listen to our concerns and explain each process in detail. He was always available to talk to us and adjust treatment when I had side effects to medication and I truly felt like he was there to help us.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Dr. Dodds does a wonderful job of explaining things. However, I have a background in the medical field so I easily understood what he was saying. My husband left a couple appointments asking me to clarify. I'm confident Dr. Dodds would have been happy to explain in more detail had we asked him
After three failed IUIs, Dr. Dodds took the time to sit down with us and go over all of our options. He told us that generally they'd do a fourth IUI before moving on to anything more invasive. But, he said he could tell by sitting with us and after talking with us at these appointments that I wasn't up for another IUI. He said if I were his daughter, he'd tell me to move ahead with IVF. I felt like he was willing to look at me as a person not just a statistic or number. He knew where we were at mentally, emotionally, and financially and took all of that into account when making his recommendation.
It's been a few years so I don't remember everything. I know our first IUI was using clomid, the second on Femara (which I hated because of the side effects) so he switched me back to Clomid for the third IUI. I don't recall the names and dosages of the meds used for our IVF. I do recall feeling very comfortable that he was frequently monitoring me during the entire process. And when I called a few days after my embryo transfer complaining of abdominal pain, he immediately worked me into his schedule and found I had OHSS and drained it all right then. My egg retrieval went very well. They retrieved 13 eggs, 1 was old, 2 were immature, and they attempted to fertilize the remaining 10 using ICSI due to Male factor infertility. All 10 eggs successfully fertilized and survived to the three day mark. We transferred two embryos and froze the remaining 8. All the embryos were perfect quality at the time of freezing (except 1 that was near perfect). I actually asked if we could transfer 3 embryos and Dr. Dodds told me that wouldn't be safe as it would put our chances of high order multiples (3+ babies) at too high a percentage and more babies = higher risk pregnancy. I was just thinking it'd increase our chances of any baby but I appreciated and respected his response. That he wanted me and any babies I had to have the best chance possible.
I felt overall the nursing staff did very well. I did feel a little blindsided at my first IUI monitoring appointment as no one had told me what the ultrasound would entail. Also, every time an appointment ended no one told me where to go - consultant room, checkout, or if I was even done.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
I believe by the time we paid for 3 IUIs and the IVF, all the ultrasounds, and medications, it was around $18,000. Plus we still pay $400/year for embryo storage.
I mentioned it before, but I'd asked at the time of my transfer if we could do three embryos, thinking that'd increase our chances of having a baby. Dr. Dodds very kindly explained that would be too high risk as it would put the possibility of high order multiples (3+) at over 5% which would be way too high. He also said he understood my request, but more babies = higher risk pregnancy for both mom and babies and he wanted us all to be healthy.

2014 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Dodds wanted to make sure we were happy with the treatment path, he gave us options that were more conservative, then let us choose how long we wanted to try each treatment before finally moving on to IVF. He is honest in what he thinks will or won't work, and he's compassionate and there to help in the ultimate goal of baby.
Nurses [at The Fertility Center of Michigan] always answered as many questions as we had, and if you thought of something later they always called back in a timely manner. They were always patient and compassionate. Very knowledgable...The clinic was a typical physician's office, the waiting room is a little more cozy than most (but we aren't going to the waiting room huh). Patient rooms were fine. It is nice to move to a consult room to talk with the staff instead of keeping you in your gown in a room.
Let him know if you do not want all the details, he explained everything very well to us. Take notes if you need to. You can always call the office if you forgot something that was talked about in the appointment. He is confident because he is good at what he does, and he will work hard to find out what is causing your infertility and how best to treat you based on what YOU want (continuing with conservative treatments versus moving up to IVF or the like).
chatted with us in his office, explained things very well when we wanted to know more detail. Communicated with referring provider.
Nurses always answered as many questions as we had, and if you thought of something later they always called back in a timely manner. They were always patient and compassionate. Very knowledgable.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
My very rough guess for one round of IVF + ICSI, including meds, monitoring and egg retrieval was around $15-17k. They were great at working with insurance if anything was covered. We had a small portion of monitoring and meds covered but pretty much all of it was out of pocket.
2013 - 2015, Unsuccessful
When I was told that our pregnancy didn't survive, that it was an empty sac, the Dr [Dr Dodds] had a student in there and the Dr seemed to be showing off and not very compassionate...We were devastated and he was very non compassionate.
Dr Shively whom performed embryo transfer was very kind as was the nursing staff. Make sure you ask questions...[Nursing Staff was] Very compassionate...[Monitoring Appointments was] Very convenient.
Very non compassionate when finding out pregnancy did not survive. We were devastated and he was very non compassionate.
None
When I was told that our pregnancy didn't survive, that it was an empty sac, the Dr had a student in there and the Dr seemed to be showing off and not very compassionate.
I took injectable medications for ovarian stimulation and had transvaginal ultrasounds every 2 to 3 days to monitor follicles. I then had egg retrieval process that was extremely painful as I was awake the entire time. They were unable to get to my right ovary where most of my eggs were due to it being swollen or in a position behind my uterus. The 6 embryos we had were fertilized but by transfer day (3), only 1 survived and was grade C. The embryo was successful and we were over the moon with excitement. However, our ultrasound appt revealed an empty sac. We were very devastated. I did not miscarry on my own after 4 weeks and required a D and C.
Very compassionate
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
Compassion as a weakness with Dr Dodds. Dr Shively whom performed embryo transfer was very kind as was the nursing staff. make sure you ask questions
Very convenient
IVF total with medication $10k
2014 - 2015, Successful
Dr Dodd was very kind and open. When I had complications on a weekend, he was right there talking to the doctors at my local hospital and finally had to admit me himself in Grand Rapids. He was very sympathetic. During my procedures, he was patient and comforting. When we finally saw our babies heartbeats, he encouraged us to take a video so we could always have that moment!
The clinic [The Fertility Center of Michigan] operated based on my cycle and was very responsive. I had no complaints about the clinic. I did have to drive to Grand Rapids one day for an ultrasound because I needed it on a day that the Kalamazoo branch was closed. ... The nurses were very prompt and informative. They showed compassion through the whole process.
Be patient with the process as hard as it is.
Dr. Was very receptive to my individual needs and recalled previous conversations we had had.
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
The clinic operated based on my cycle and was very responsive. I had no complaints about the clinic. I did have to drive to Grand Rapids one day for an ultrasound because I needed it on a day that the Kalamazoo branch was closed.
2014, Successful
Dr. Dodds got to know us and our situation. He was optimistic and yet realistic about our chances of conceiving.
He [Dr. Dodds] is so kind and genuinely caring. You can tell he had a passion for helping couples achieve families.
He is so kind and genuinely caring. You can tell he had a passion for helping couples achieve families.
Come prepared with questions
Dr Dodds got to know us and our situation. He was optimistic and yet realistic about our chances of conceiving.
2006 - 2013, Successful
Dr. Dodds is a great doctor and takes the time to explain to you what is happening. He will call you on the phone personally to give you results.... Lupron didn’t work with my body so it was taken out of my protocol. Also my eggs didn’t mature as fast as they should so I was my retevival was held off so I had more viable eggs. Dr. Dodds comes up with a treatment plan that works for you.
They [Fertility Center of Michigan] have everything inline and are very organized. There was no guessing of what to do! I was always very comfortable with calling or going to this clinic! The whole staff is compassionate and are willing to help.... The whole nursing staff was caring and very helpful!... $5400 for ivf not including meds.... Dr. Dodds is a great doctor and takes the time to explain to you what is happening.
Dr. Dodds is a very compassionate and caring doctor. He cares about his patients and does not sugar coat anything. He has been instrumental in bringing thousands of babies into this world that would not happen otherwise. I will always be grateful to him for giving me my family. I have also recommended friends and family to him.
Ask as many questions as you can and make sure you write things down. Dr. Dodds is a great doctor and trust him!
Lupron didn’t work with my body so it was taken out of my protocol. Also my eggs didn’t mature as fast as they should so I was my retevival was held off so I had more viable eggs. Dr. Dodds comes up with a treatment plan that works for you. Also I live three and a half hours away from the clinic so I was able to do my blood tests and ultrasounds locally.
The whole nursing staff was caring and very helpful!
Describe your experience with The Fertility Center of Michigan.
They have everything inline and are very organized. There was no guessing of what to do! I was always very comfortable with calling or going to this clinic! The whole staff is compassionate and are willing to help.
$5400 for ivf not including meds.
I don’t know.