Medical SchoolTufts
San Diego, CA 92108
Temecula
44274 George Cushman Court
Temecula, CA 92592
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend William Hummel to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 100%9.8
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend San Diego Fertility Center to a friend?
Dr. Hummel was kind, knowledgeable & compassionate. I was somewhat disappointed in the infrequency with which I saw him. I was a patient of his for approximately 1 year an I think I saw him 3 or 4 times....I received personal care and frequent updates from the staff. I did occasionally feel like Dr. Hummel had forgotten about me because I mostly dealt with his MA and NP.... I have a medical background and struggled myself at times to understand the process, especially when it came to the explanation of the IVF treatment packages.
How was your experience with William Hummel at San Diego Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Hummel at San Diego Fertility Center?
Be sure to ask questions if you become confused with the process or terminology. I have a medical background and struggled myself at times to understand the process, especially when it came to the explanation of the IVF treatment packages.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Hummel at San Diego Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols William Hummel used in your cycles at San Diego Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I had 6 failed IUI cycles and 1 successful IVF cycle. During IUI I did 2 natural cycles, 2 with oral clomid and 2 with injectables (I can't remember the names). During the IVF I used several different injectable medications in a specific series as well as intravaginal estrogen suppositories after the implantation. The injectable series was complicated but with good organizational skills, was manageable. The vaginal suppositories were inconvenient & messy (twice a day for 2 weeks). However I was told the only other options were daily intramuscular injections of estrogen. I was tired of injections so I went for the suppositories which were effective in holding my pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: His medical assistant)
I would have preferred more contact, direction & updates from the medical assistant. I felt like she treated me like just another patient she has seen a thousand times before, whereas this was my very first experience with fertility treatment and I had no idea what I was doing. Sometimes I felt like she was irritated when I would ask her to explain something more because I didn't understand, almost like she expected me to know.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
The facility was beautiful and the office front staff were so friendly and warm. Frankie is amazing (front desk). The facility location is very easy to get to, right off the freeway. The rooms are private and comfortable, the office is very clean & professional looking.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Hummel at San Diego Fertility Center.
Approximately $35,000 total with IUI, IVF & medications.
Describe William Hummel's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at San Diego Fertility Center.
Dr. Hummel gave me the option of single or multiple transfer. He explained the risks vs benefits and was ethical in that he would not consider transferring 3 or more embryos based on my personal story (single mom by choice). I felt he was being very responsible in his advice.
2012 - 2014
Dr. Hummel is incredibly caring and empathetic at all stages of the process...Dr. Hummel was good at explaining the process of IVF in a caring and gentle manner. One thing that stood out was how he made a point of complimenting my husband which made him feel included (when sometimes I think husbands can feel left out). He is soft-spoken and thoughtful and made us feel like we were important to him.
2012 - 2014
How was your experience with William Hummel at San Diego Fertility Center?
Dr. Hummel was good at explaining the process of IVF in a caring and gentle manner. One thing that stood out was how he made a point of complimenting my husband which made him feel included (when sometimes I think husbands can feel left out). He is soft-spoken and thoughtful and made us feel like we were important to him. The only negative I can say is that he suggested moving on to donor eggs while I was on the table having the last embryo transferred. I thought the timing was not so good.
Dr. Hummel is incredibly caring and empathetic at all stages of the process.
All of our IVF cycles were long prototcol with either ganirelix or cetrotide as antagonist, Gonal-F/menopur stimulations, Ovidrel trigger shots with Lovenox for blood thinners. The first two cycles were fresh day 5 transfers, transferring 2 the first time and 3 the second. We froze the rest and transferred them after the fresh transfers did not work. The last 2 cycles were frozen transfers with PGS. We used ICSI in all cycles because of my husband's low morphology. None of the cycles worked.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Carrie )
Carrie did all of my ultrasounds- she was professional, caring, gentle, and a great resource for information. I cannot say enough about how much I appreciated her after I went to a different clinic where the nursing staff was not great.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
This clinic is organized and structured in a way that you will feel taken care of and not lost in a sea of numbers. You have your ultrasounds in the morning and then the whole group meets for a midday meeting so they can discuss your case together. They call you with an update in the afternoon. That way everyone is on the same page and there is no confusion. The same nurse gives your ultrasounds (mostly) and the same nurse draws your blood each time. They are not pushy, and don't waste your time. And the office is clean and beautiful.
We did the "success guarantee" plan which is supposed to give you money back if you use all of your embryos and have 3 rounds of IVF and do not have a live birth. This is not actually what happens- we ended up paying more money for each round and did not get anything back in the end. And the financial coordinator is difficult to work with- she does not answer phone calls or emails timely and then send you late payment warnings. This is the only part of the clinic that I did not like. They should not call it success guarantee, they should call it a discount plan for each additional cycle if you sign up for 3. It is misleading.
He was happy to transfer more than one embryo from the start, but I was 35 at the time that I started treatment and had low ovarian reserve. We discussed the possibility of twins- my husband is a twin and so we were up for it.
2012 - 2013
12 IVF, Donor Eggs
Immunological, Unexplained
2012 - 2013
12 IVF, Donor Eggs
Immunological, Unexplained
How was your experience with William Hummel at San Diego Fertility Center?
The most gentle and kind medical professional I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. He was like a grandfather in his care with so much respect for us and what we had already been through. Extremely gentle, kind and compassionate but also was the one to say enough is enough. We can't get you pregnant and you need to look at other options such as surrogacy, adoption or being childfree. Amazing man.
You are in the best hands possible. If anyone can get you pregnant he will do it.
The entire team at SDFC were amazing despite our negative outcome. After 9 cycles feeling like a number in Australia it was refreshing to have such personalized care from SDFC.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Barbara Tanaka)
Commitment to us as a couple from overseas. Constant communication through the entire process. Going above and beyond even offering to bring me dinner to my hotel after a rough day at the clinic.
2011
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
Dr. Hummel was very caring and thorough, and I felt like my care was personalized. He also had a gentle touch.
2011
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with William Hummel at San Diego Fertility Center?
I had only two experiences with Dr. Hummel. The first was a telephone initial appointment to discuss my history and whether I was a candidate for donor egg IVF. The second was my embryo transfer. On both occasions, Dr. Hummel displayed kindness, intelligence and humor
He is terrific!
I don't know the details of the protocol used because I was the recipient. I had to take Lupron, birth control pills, estrogen tablets and progesterone in oil injections during my cycle
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kendra)
Kendra was kind and patient and answered all of my questions.
I believe our donor egg IVF cycle cost $16,770, and our donor's fee was $7,500