Mid-Missouri Reproductive Medicine and Surgery

Columbia
1506 E Broadway
Columbia, MO 65201
573-443-4511
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend William Hurd to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Mid-Missouri Reproductive Medicine and Surgery to a friend?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
While Dr. Hurd is extremely knowledgeable, his "bedside" manner is lacking. He provides a lot of information during each consultation visit, but is very clinical in his delivery which can be difficult for a non-medical person to understand or absorb. It is especially difficult when you are very new to the fertility process.... After being diagnosed with unexplained fertility, Dr. Hurd initially presented several IUI and IVF options. He outlined the benefits and drawbacks of each option including estimated costs. Since my husband and I were new to the fertility process and due to the lower initial cost, we elected to try IUI with Clomid and Ovidrel trigger shot.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Hurd has a wealth of information due to the number of years he has been practicing, but I feel he lacks the ability to connect or empathize with his patients. During my appointments, his delivery of information has always been very clinical. With such a very sensitive and emotional experience dealing with fertility issues, I would prefer if he could be more compassionate and empathic. It would also be helpful to have a clear and concise summary of what was discussed as well as any follow-up instructions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
I would recommend bringing someone with to each consultation so they can help take in all of the information provided during appointments. If you are able, I would also advise taking notes during the appointments. Additionally, research as much as possible before the appointments so you can advocate for yourself. I have found that Dr. Hurd is open to suggestions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols William Hurd used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
After being diagnosed with unexplained fertility, Dr. Hurd initially presented several IUI and IVF options. He outlined the benefits and drawbacks of each option including estimated costs. Since my husband and I were new to the fertility process and due to the lower initial cost, we elected to try IUI with Clomid and Ovidrel trigger shot. While I was provided with a lot of information concerning the IUI process for each cycle, I felt some of the basic information (when to test for ovulation) was left out. To date we have only tried one IUI cycle which did not result in a pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: KC)
Dr. Hurd's nurse, KC has been helpful during the process. She has been good at responding to phone calls and emails. She is a good compliment to Dr. Hurd's "bed side" manner.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
One of the clinic's strengths is I think they are cognizant of the costs associated with fertility treatments and try to find ways to help keep the patient's costs down whenever possible. Additionally, the staff is very nice. However, at times the front desk staff can seem a little disorganized.
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Hurd seems like a very kind, knowledgeable doctor during the consult. However, he recommended we do regular insemination, and then that changed to 50 regular/50 ICSI, and then we were told that really the best case was all ICSI. We wanted the best outcome, and were very confused as to why this changed 3 times during our process.... You will rarely see Dr. Hurd, so during your consult, really take the time to ask ALL the questions you have.
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
I only saw Dr. Hurd at the initial consult, and then again during my egg retrieval. I probably saw about 15 other staff during my IVF cycle, and they usually didn't seem to remember who I was or didn't bother to read my charts.
We were first recommended to do regular insemination, then that was changed to 50 ICSI/50 regular, and then all ICSI. We did a regular IVF cycle, which resulted in retrieving 24 eggs, and 5 made it to the blastocyst stage. 1 was transferred, and a positive pregnancy test was confirmed. It's only been 5 weeks so it is still early to know the final result.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Amanda)
At my first nurses appointment, I thought Amanda was great, and then all went downhill after that. I had issue after issue trying to get my medications, when she needed to provide information to the pharmacy. I actually had to have my husband go into the office, and then I had to go in myself, because phone calls weren't resolving the issues. She also called in a wrong medication, but she did at least fix that situation, and got the pharmacy to return it. When I would leave messages with questions for Amanda, she would always return my phone call within a few hours, however, half the time she didn't even look at my chart or ask the doctor questions when she did not know the answer. For example, when I went off birth control, and I was starting my cycle, she told me that shouldn't happen, and then she called back the next day and said she had checked with the doctor, and that it was actually OK. She also continued to instruct me to use a medication that I wasn't prescribed, rather than changing my chart.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Extremely poor internal communication. I understand this clinic sees a lot of patients, but they really need to get their processes in place. The first thing they tell you when beginning IVF is that you need to try not to stress. I didn't even feel very stressed throughout the process, except when I had to visit the office. They messed up time after time, making me so upset and stressed. My husband and I eventually sat down with the office manager, because we could not believe the amount of issues that had piled up, everything from wrong financial information, to prescription issues, to having my records wrong, to not even looking at my records. It's also important to know, I have had a positive pregnancy test, and I'm waiting for my first ultrasound, but even with that result, I would never want to recommend this clinic to anyone and have them deal with the stress the staff put me through.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center.
Under my husband's insurance we had a discounted flat rate, and this is why we had to use Duke. 50% off all medications, medications totaled around $4,000. IVF cycle (including monitoring, egg retrieval, transfer) = $4500 and additional $450 to wait until Day 5.
Describe William Hurd's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Duke Fertility Center.
Multiple embryo transfer was not even discussed for me. I don't believe that Dr. Hurd or the clinic would do this for someone under 35, unless they really did not see 1 being successful.
Anovulation, Male Factor, Immunological
Dr. Hurd is extremely warm and comforting and makes you feel like you are in really good hands. He is optimistic but honest about things. He always remembered my case and seemed to be truly disappointed when things didn't work out. I feel like he really wanted to see us be successful, and not just for the clinic's statistics. He even gave me the option of getting a second opinion after our second failed transfer, but he said he thought he learned a lot about my body and that we could be successful on another try (which we were). I felt like he treated me as an educated participant rather than a patient who didn't know anything. He sent me a personal letter congratulating us after we had our baby and was very happy to see our success story.
How was your experience with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
I really liked Dr. Hurd since our first visit with him and throughout the 3 years we were at Duke Fertility. He is really warm and respectful and took all of my suggestions into consideration. He told me what to expect and was always there to answer questions (in person, phone, or email). He never seemed annoyed with my endless questions and he took all of my suggestions into real consideration. He always seemed very invested in helping us get pregnant.
I would say advocate for yourself and push for things to be more aggressive or faster if that is what you want. The pace was perfect for me, and I never wanted more than a single embryo transfer. This clinic follows the guidelines, so it may not be the best for someone who wants twins or is willing to get OHSS for more eggs. Also, do not blindly trust the financial office and be sure to double check everything with your insurance.
I started with Clomid to induce ovulation, which didn't work. Then we did injectables with IUI, but had to cancel two cycles (one because I ovulated too early and one because I did not respond). Then I did my first IVF cycle with Menopur and Cetrotide (no FSH alone because my LH is low so they thought I needed the extra LH from Menopur). We got 13 eggs, 3 embryos, and 2 negative pregnancy tests from that egg retrieval. My second IVF cycle used Menopur, low dose Gonal-F, and cetrotide, and was much more successful. We got 18 eggs, 12 blastocysts, 6 PGS normal embryos, and 1 beautiful little boy from that egg retrieval. We still have the other 5 genetically normal embryos in the freezer for future children.
The IVF nurses are all really good. They answer emails and respond to phone calls really quickly and are super sweet. Whenever I asked to talk to a doctor they had someone call me ASAP and never seemed annoyed.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Overall, I think the clinic was really good. I could always get an appointment pretty quickly (within a week usually), and they are usually very prompt and I never had to wait long to see a doctor at my appointments. The nurses and technical staff are very smart and friendly. I didn't love the other doctors aside from mine, but you only have to see a different doctor if yours isn't there that day (i.e. weekend call). My biggest complaint about the clinic was the financial department - they really didn't seem to know or do much and even led me astray on some important things. But I was always very happy with my care and the quality of the lab for IVF.
IUIs were covered under my insurance, so they were copays of maybe $300 for 3 IUIs. IVF was not covered, so my first cycle was about $15K and my second cycle with PGS testing was closer to $20K. With copays, acupuncture, supplements, counseling, etc., I'm sure we spent $40K.
Dr. Hurd was pretty adamant that we only do eSETs with our 5-day blasts (they allow multiple embryo transfer with 3-day embryos). He follows the research and guidelines, which I always respected and appreciated. After two failed eSETs, he probably would have let us do 2 if we wanted, but we did PGS testing and he definitely would not have let us transfer 2 genetically tested embryos (nor would we have wanted to!).
Anovulation, Male Factor, Immunological
I have really liked Dr. Hurd since our first visit with him over a year ago. He is really warm and respectful and takes all of my suggestions into consideration. He tells me what to expect and is always there to answer questions. He encourages me to send him emails and doesn't seem annoyed with my endless questions. He seems very invested in helping us get pregnant.
How was your experience with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
I would say advocate for yourself and push for things to be more aggressive or faster if that is what you want. Also, do not trust the financial office and be sure to double check everything with your insurance.
Dr. Hurd is extremely warm and comforting and makes you feel like you are in really good hands. He is optimistic but honest about things. He remembers my case and seems to be truly disappointed when things don't work out. I feel like he really wants to see us be successful, and not just for the clinic's statistics.
I started with Clomid to induce ovulation, which didn't work. Then we did injectables with IUI, but had to cancel two cycles (one because I ovulated too early and one because I did not respond). Then I did my first IVF cycle with Menopur and Cetrotide (no FSH alone because my LH is low so they thought I needed the extra LH from Menopur). Second IVF cycle is Menopur, Gonal-F, and cetrotide, but I can't say yet if it is more successful.
The IVF nurses (Ann and Ellen) are really good. They answer emails and respond to phone calls really quickly and are super sweet.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Overall, I think the clinic is really good. You can always get an appointment pretty quickly (within a week usually), and they are usually very prompt and you never have to wait long to see a doctor at your appointment. The nurses and technical staff are very smart and friendly. I don't love the doctors aside from mine, but you only have to see a different doctor if yours isn't there that day (i.e. weekend call). My biggest complaint about the clinic is the financial department. They really don't seem to know or do much and have even led me astray on some important things.
IUIs were covered under my insurance, so that was copays of maybe $300 for 3 IUIs. IVF is not covered, so my first cycle was about $15K and my second cycle with PGS testing will be over $20K.
Durham
Dr. Hurd never seemed in a rush and always took whatever amount of time was needed in order to make sure all my questions were answered. He truly seems to care...Dr. Hurd was always very open and honest in a good way. He explained our options and we are now waiting for our next appointment to discuss starting our IVf journey since we have had 3 failed iui's. He shows compassion and seems to really care about his patients...if there is something you don't understand, he will take the time to walk you through it.
How was your experience with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Hurd was always very open and honest in a good way. He explained our options and we are now waiting for our next appointment to discuss starting our IVf journey since we have had 3 failed iui's. He shows compassion and seems to really care about his patients. When you are going through such a stressful day difficult time, it is nice to have someone who seems to truly care about you.
Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you want and if there is something you don't understand, he will take the time to walk you through it.
During all of my iui's I took 50mg of clomid on cycle days 3-7. I would have my monitoring ultrasounds on the days that were necessary and then the insemination when it was suppose to be during my time of ovulation. I used ovidrel 250 as my trigger shot.
Everyone except for one nurse has been great. One nurse (I'm assuming she was a nurse) called on the day that I found out I was going to miscarry and had no empathy and was somewhat rude when she called to tell me after I had already spoke with a nurse who was much more caring. She was more concerned with getting my next appointment scheduled than the fact that I was being told I was going to miscarry.
I have no insurance benefits due to my husband's vasectomy reversal so I am self pay for everything.
Durham
He [Dr. Hurd] is very delightful and compassionate, and the Fellow under Him was equally amazing. I saw her more than him, but she took care of me just as good. He was easy to communicate with through their portal, but I did feel he was strongly opposed to putting in more than 1 embryo...I felt like it was more of a business deal, neither human or number. I was treated like a human by Fellow, and Dr Hurd but a number by the clinic staff [at Duke]....
How was your experience with William Hurd at Duke Fertility Center?
He is very delightful and compassionate, and the Fellow under Him was equally amazing. I saw her more than him, but she took care of me just as good. He was easy to communicate with through their portal, but I did feel he was strongly opposed to putting in more than 1 embryo. I didn't push but, should've, bc it resulted in no preg.
During the consultation, interview them as much as you can, so you are on the same page.
I felt like it was more of a business deal, neither human or number. I was treated like a human by Fellow, and Dr Hurd but a number by the clinic staff.
Lots and lots of injections, and medicine for the egg retrieval cycle. My current provider at a diff clinic was shocked at how much I was on. We transferred 1 embryo fresh, and new Dr. Felt like it should've worked but maybe my Progesterone/hormones were too high, from all the meds
Staff, especially in the lab had zero understanding of the medication you were taking for fertility, and there was no documentation so every other day i came in I had to list it. The nurses seemed to be "checked out". I had one phenomenal nurse that tended to me after egg retrieval.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Very "clinic" , no personal report building, has pictures of fruit on the wall and no babies.... and it's a fertility clinic. Parking is hard
Was insured; cycle was $2600