Medical SchoolU. of Alabama
ResidencyU. of Tennessee
FellowshipBrigham & Women's Hosp
1700 6th Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35233
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Wright Bates to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend University of Alabama Birmingham to a friend?
IUI, 1 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
You can tell he [Dr. Bates] cares in his own way. He’s good at explaining every step of the procedures. He takes time during every visit and never made me feel rushed. He’s realistic with his expectations and doesn’t set false hopes. I know when he had to call to tell me the first transfer was unsuccessful he was upset about it too. He is a kind man who is also working at a teaching hospital so he’s sharing his knowledge with future doctors.
IUI, 1 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
While he may not be a hugger. You can tell he cares in his own way. He’s good at explaining every step of the procedures. He takes time during every visit and never made me feel rushed. He’s realistic with his expectations and doesn’t set false hopes. I know when he had to call to tell me the first transfer was unsuccessful he was upset about it too. He is a kind man who is also working at a teaching hospital so he’s sharing his knowledge with future doctors.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Don’t expect him to be all warm and fuzzy. More of a factual this is how it goes sort of guy. Be prepared with questions too and he will answer every one of them and not make you feel silly for asking.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
I love Dr Bates. You can tell he does this because he loves to help. His team is great. They all remember me and are always available for any questions.
Describe the protocols Wright Bates used in your cycles at University of Alabama Birmingham and their degree of success.
I used microdose lupron. Menopur and gonal f. We used icsi on both retrieval’s. And did a fresh transfer which was unsuccessful with two 5 day embryos. Our second retrieval was a freeze all and we did pgs testing. We then did a frozen transfer of the only genetically good embryo and that’s my 7 month old daughter!
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Alabama Birmingham. (Assigned nurse: Laura, Tabitha, Kendall, Sonjola)
Love them! They care so much and are super helpful. I do wish their calendars were a bit different for my use/preference. Also, we use a portal to email back and forth and sometimes that’s hard because one nurse will start the convo and another will pick up. So that can get confusing.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
The facility itself is clean and modern. The waiting room is comfortable. The parking is a challenge and how the bathrooms are in the hall by the elevator vs off of the waiting rooms is a little inconvenient. But I do like that you go to the same place for the retrieval’s and the transfers and blood work is all done in one spot. Because it’s in Birmingham just always be prepared for traffic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham.
There were costs for the retrieval’s. The transfers. The isci and the pgs testing. The cost of meds and pgs testing were not through Bates/UAB but part of the whole experience. It was about $18,000 per round
Describe Wright Bates's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Alabama Birmingham.
I believe he prefers to transfer 1 embryo. We did two the first time because of our urging. We wanted twins.
2012 - 2018
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr Bates is an extremely knowledgable doctor. He is also a professor at UAB and has been treating infertility for 25 years. He really knows what he is doing and isnt in the business of risking mom and baby by risking multiples. I fully trust his expertise.... I only see Dr Bates during the big dates, the fellows handle most all the busy work with Dr Bates making all the decision. All Doc and Staff are very sweet and caring.
2012 - 2018
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Do some research and come prepared with questions. Dr Bates is a very busy man so utilize your time with him wisely. The fellows are very knowledgeable as well.
Letrozole CD 3-7 HCG trigger as directed after US IUI 24 hours later Repeat Above IVF Menopur Follistem Antagonist as directed HCG trigger as directed Retieval 36 hours later Tranfer Estrace 2mgx2 for 7 days + Baby Asp Estrace 2mgx3 for 9 days + Baby Asp Same as above add Progesterone 1ml for 1 day. Same as above add Medrol 16 mg for 5 days. Doxy with dinner and breakfast before transfer. After Transfer Progesterone 1ml, Estrace 2mgx3 and Baby Asp daily as directed
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Alabama Birmingham. (Assigned nurse: Tabitha)
Excellent. Great communication through patient portal. Attentive to needs and questions.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
The only downside of the clinic is that its very hospital like... well because its at a hospital. Haha. The parking is also limited but im not big on parking in the deck across the street. The parking fee is rather expensive and adds up quickly with all the visits.
It varied depending on Insurance coverage but complete IVF cycle is roughly 18,000us
ESET is what they prefer unless unsuccessful on previous transfers.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
I was under the care of a fellow, Diedre Gunn, practicing under Dr. Bates. Both doctors were always very thorough, honest, kind and available to questions through every surgery, test, diagnosis and procedure.... I worked with Dr. Bates less in person, but he was present for surgical procedure as Dr. Gunn was at that time completing her REI fellowship.... We did a laparoscopy with removal of endometriosis, tested for tubal blockage, and removed several uterine polyps.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr. Diedre Gunn and Dr. Bates both had very kind and open bedside manners. I worked with Dr. Bates less in person, but he was present for surgical procedure as Dr. Gunn was at that time completing her REI fellowship.
We did a laparoscopy with removal of endometriosis, tested for tubal blockage, and removed several uterine polyps. I took Letrozale for a couple of cycles with timed intercourse then we moved on to IUIs with Letrozale then IUI with Letrozale and trigger shot. Due to MFI we were given the option to try 2 more IUIs or move on to IVF
I just had difficulty with one nurse not showing much compassion. Especially when we missed ovulation on a medicated cycle intended to be an IUI cycle.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
The biggest difficulty is parking downtown. Otherwise the clinic is very nice and the clink staff/ most of the nurses were very kind and helpful. We didn't have an option based on our insurance provider of picking another clinic, so at times I did feel stuck. However once we figured out that insurance wouldn't cover any treatments unless they were billed under endometriosis treatment not fertility treatment we have considered looking at other clinics. I appreciate the relationship I have built with my doctor however and would still recommend to a friend. We might get a second opinion before moving forward.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor
Dr. [Wright] Bates as well as Dr. Bouknight and Dr. McLean [at University of Alabama Birmingham] were very compassionate. They all were always on the same page with each other and you could tell they each knew our case. They work as a team to make the best decisions for us. Very personable and relatable. Dr. Bates and Dr. Bouknight both openly share their infertility struggles and can relate....Birth control, Lupron, 125 Gonal F, 75 Menopur, HCG trigger, aspirin, prometrium progesterone, Valium day of transfer.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor
How was your experience with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr. Bates as well as Dr. Bouknight and Dr. McLean were very compassionate. They all were always on the same page with each other and you could tell they each knew our case. They work as a team to make the best decisions for us. Very personable and relatable. Dr. Bates and Dr. Bouknight both openly share their infertility struggles and can relate.
Go see them!!! Ask a lot of questions because they will all answer them. Tell them your fears/concerns. They are there to help you and want to get to know you so let them.
Dr. Bates and his staff remembered conversations from previous appointments and knew all details of our history.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Alabama Birmingham. (Assigned nurse: Laura)
Laura is amazing!!! She has such a heart for couples with infertility. She has experience with it herself and this helps her relate. She returns calls within a very short period of time. The key to a good IVF experience is the nurse and with Laura you will not be disappointed!!!!
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
Nothing. New nice clinic. Very short waits normally.
IVF without insurance plus meds, ICSI, and freezing was about $18k
Birmingham
He [Dr. Bates] was very knowledgeable. I didn't see him very often unless it was something big like retrieval or transfer but his fellow doctors were kind and caring...I was on gonal-f and another med for my egg retrieval. I was on a lower dose then my friends. I ended up with the same amount of eggs both retrievals...I would have preferred to have my progesterone and estrogen tested with each beta as I miscarried early and I wonder if those levels were off and if that is what caused it
How was your experience with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
He was very knowledgeable. I didn't see him very often unless it was something big like retrieval or transfer but his fellow doctors were kind and caring. He was knowledgeable and provided information when requested
Come with a lot of questions and a pad and a piece of paper to take notes
He was kind when I saw him
She was quick to respond and responded with answers to your questions. She was well informed
Testing, procedure cost
Because of the quality of my embryos, the doctor suggested that I transfer one. We wanted to transfer 2 embryos
What specific things went wrong at University of Alabama Birmingham?
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
I haven't had a baby yet but I know he isn't a miracle worker -- what he does is listen -- try every avenue and tell you about the latest and newest possibilities.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Wright Bates at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Become friendly with nurses and IVF coordinator -- they will help you with scheduling
They are a great group of doctors and nurses who really do care and want to listen to all your questions and concerns. They always call back the day you leave voicemail and send a private message through UAB portal. We adopted after failed IVF and they were so excited -- sent us a handwritten note from all doctors. Dr. Bates' team has the best results in AL
Want to go over everything with you specifically - how to give medicine / injections. Any questions - any concerns.