Available by cell phone
Medical SchoolAmerican University of Beirut
ResidencyMaimonides Medical Center
FellowshipAlbert Einstein College of Medicine
4 Columbus Circle
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Zaher Merhi to a friend?
5.8

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend New Hope Fertility Center to a friend?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Talking to Dr. Merhi for our inital consultation, he was fantastic. Warm, personable and seemed to be very confident. After that, I was basically handed off to nurses and not allowed to speak to the Doctor anymore. ...They push you into not having anesthesia during the egg retrievals at New Hope. I pushed back initially, explaining that my ovaries had a tendency to hide, and that was uncomfortable with just getting an ultrasound. But I trusted them, and did the procedure with only a uterine local. It was traumatizing. They had to bring in a nurse from the other room to push on my stomach to get to my ovary. The constant filling my uterus with liquids made me think of an abortion, which is not what you want to be thinking of when the doctor is retrieving your eggs.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
They push you into not having anesthesia during the egg retrievals at New Hope. I pushed back initially, explaining that my ovaries had a tendency to hide, and that was uncomfortable with just getting an ultrasound. But I trusted them, and did the procedure with only a uterine local. It was traumatizing. They had to bring in a nurse from the other room to push on my stomach to get to my ovary. The constant filling my uterus with liquids made me think of an abortion, which is not what you want to be thinking of when the doctor is retrieving your eggs. They told me it would take 5 minutes, it was closer to 30. Dr. Merhi took a break, as I was in so much pain. He said there were two eggs that he could get to, and I said to just keep going (now I realize that they should have stopped. I was crying and very upset). They kept going, and Dr. Merhi kept apologizing. The egg quality was bad, so neither eggs got past the operating room.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Merhi seems like a very nice person, but DO NOT GO TO THIS CLINIC. What they do and what they say are two very different things.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Talking to Dr. Merhi for our inital consultation, he was fantastic. Warm, personable and seemed to be very confident. After that, I was basically handed off to nurses and not allowed to speak to the Doctor anymore. Plus, the waiting room is like an upscale DMV.
Describe the protocols Zaher Merhi used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
He wanted to do mini-IVF, as I have low ovarian reserve. First cycle, birth control pills, then half a clomid for 7 days. Second (cancelled) cycle, birth control pills and 1/4 clomid for 7 days. He said that my previous clinic had been "overfeeding" my eggs, and he'd had much success with this method. No results produced whatsoever.
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Hope Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Samantha, Joanna, Laura, Iris, etc)
Disorganized and awful. The nurses (there are more than I can keep track of) all send you different emails. You ask them a question and the all give you different answers because there's no communication.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The lobby is nice, and they seem to be well organized on the surface. But they are flashy with no substance. The nursing staff is disorganized, with too many cooks in the kitchen. You have to just know what to do. You wait for your name to flash on the screen to get bloodwork done (it says your chair number). Then you go back to the waiting room to wait for your name & the ultrasound room. To go to the ultrasound room, you walk through the bloodwork area and through a bunch of nurses, who say nothing to you. They do your ultrasound and just leave. Very impersonal, you're just a number.
It felt like an upscale DMV. You checked in, and waited to see your name come up on a TV screen in the lobby that sent you to bloodwork or the ultrasound room.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center.
It was covered by my insurance.
Describe Zaher Merhi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
The reason why we went there - they bank embryos. I'd previously only done fresh cycles, and it wasn't working. They do multiple embryo transfer, but I think that was because of my age.
New Hope Fertility Center

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center.

Dr. Merhi explains everything very clearly and is always happy to speak with me or email with me whenever I have questions or concerns. He's a little bougie, but always friendly & kind. He does research once a week, which I like. He's paying attention to all the latest research.... He used birth control pills to prep cycles. He, like the other doctors at New Hope, is comfortable with low or no dose protocols. I also used clomid at the beginning of cycle a few times. I've never made more than 6 eggs tops, but that's fine there. They aim for quality over quantity, which fits my body better than traditional treatments.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Be clear about your priorities. Dr. Merhi will make best efforts to accommodate.
Dr. Merhi always found time to speak with me whenever I asked. And he always responded to my emails quickly. I felt like my protocols were always specific to me and they never tried to fit me into a general protocol. Most of the nurses are great. Not every day was perfect but most were just fine and efficient.
Many are great. Some are more chatty & personable than others. New Hope does a lot of monitoring, so I definitely had favorites. I have found the post retrieval nurses to be my least favorite. They are inattentive & occasionally rude. This may be due in part to a language barrier and cultural differences.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
They see a lot of people. Unlike other clinics that have limited monitoring hours, New Hope offers monitoring from 7am - 2pm, which is great. I have definitely felt like a number there, but sometimes that's fine. Sometimes I just want to get in & out as fast as possible. The best days I was done in 20 min. The worst I wasn't properly input into the system and waited over an hour just to get the blood draw. Many of the doctors are not native English speakers and some have challenging accents. I appreciate that this clinic is independent and values new research.
It's fairly well-oiled machine. Some days were better than others. Some times of day are better than others too.
The cost is significantly less than the other clinics we looked at. The procedures are less costly and they prescribed fewer medications at lower doses.
Dr. Merhi is very against multiple embryo transfer.
New Hope Fertility Center

Dr.Merhi, was so passionate, and positive, and that was one of the main factors, that made me continue with him... Dr.Merhi, used the minimal stimulation technique, and that was one of the very big pitfalls, other fertility doctor stick to, and even when the 1st cycle, did not work, Dr.Merhi, added the steroid and aspirin... Dr.Merhi, showed us, detailed studies, that it's in the best interest of the mother and the baby to have single embryo transfer, and we agreed.
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr.Zaher Merhi @ nhfc, was really empathetic, and knew exactly what I was going through, and I will not name the institutions, I've been to, but 2 big institutions in New York, and one in Michigan,and one of the doctors there told me, you can start thinking about "Menopause", and am only 32yrs old, and none of them had the time, or the ambition, even to continue, but here in New Hope, they used the minimal stimulation, and everyone in the clinic was extremely positive, encouraging, sympathetic, and they never let you down, and keep going on, needless to say, they make you pay only procedure by procedure, and whatever can be billed to your insurance they will do so, not like any other fertility center, to which we have been in 3 before, where they want you to pay in full in advance. Dr.Zaher Merhi, had the best attitude, with great knowledge, and with his attitude, everything was possible. I would recommend him to anyone, with no reservation whatsoever.
If you have a problem with fertility, please do not shop around, big names can fool you sometimes, go to Dr.Zaher Merhi
The Nursing staff, were compassionate, positive, very responsive, and makes you always feel, that things will work
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The clinic have these big boards to tell each patient, were they need to go, for US, or blood work, every one is so organized, and empathetic, and makes you feel home, and they ban any one to talk over the phone, which is great, as there is a dedicated area where you can use your cell phone, and a small as it may seem, they make sure, always, coffee and crackers, are available, and well taken care of, basically you never feel that you are not attended to
They were very convenient and easy to know
They were quite reasonable, and definitely lower compared to peers

3 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Dr Merhi did not even recognize me when I saw him in the clinic after the first initial consultation. When the transfer ended in a chemical pregnancy, he did not reach out to discuss next steps or share condolences. During the initial consultation he assured us that he would be the only doctor performing any procedures (transfer, water sono, practice transfer) on me. He didn't care to tell me the week before my transfer that he was not going to be in the clinic. Neither did he return my email after he returned to the clinic (which was after my transfer).
3 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr Merhi was very warm and provided a lot of details on the day of the initial consultation. He peppered us with follow up emails after the initial consultation. I never saw him in my morning monitoring appointments and he didn't contact me about the transfer, before or after.
Find a different doctor.
The team of nurses were always prompt to send my monitoring results with instructions. Any questions I send they always respond within a day or 12 hours.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The clinic's environment is very nice, calm and bright with daylight. There is a big electronic screen that shows you when your turn is up. The office is also conveniently located across the street from a subway stop. The appointments with their doctors are always over 1 hour wait. NO RESPECT for patient's time. When you ask where the doctor is, they tell you the doctor is in the OR.
$3800 for FET. $350 for initial consultation. $500 for water sono.
New Hope only transfers 1 embryo at a time.

PCOS, Unexplained
Dr Merhi was always pleased to see us. He explained with many details and examples about all procedures and risks. He was very positive and willing to help us with any doubt or questions we had. We never felt rushed to do any procedure and he was very patient listening to us.... First we tried several cycles just being monitored for ovulation. Then we were suggested to take Clomid and letrozol 2.5 and we got pregnant with triplets!
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Ask questions, be honest and sincere and Dr Merhi will help you the best he can. He’s very knowledgeable and will follow up with you along the way.
I was always called by my name and Dr Merhi always replied my emails promptly giving me detailed explanation of what I asked.
Quick and efficient! Very friendly and helpful.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Results are efficient and accurate. Their forms and systems are very clear and easy to follow. As a new patient always ask questions to any staff and they will kindly help out. At time is very hectic due to the hours and you might feel rushed specially when having sonogram, but they’ll explain all they’re doing so you can leave satisfied.
Costs were reasonable. Even though My insurance covered, they have plans to help out.
New Hope Fertility Center

I've never felt more like a number than at the clinic with Dr. Merhi. I literally met him one time while walking in the door to the procedure room to do my egg retrieval....He was fine as a doctor, seems knowledgeable. But very very unpersonable. I was honestly very disappointed in the care I received. And he did not even do our Embryo transfer. Just honestly was really disappointed overall with the care that I received from him
Try someone else.
Most of them did not speak very good English, they were very hard to understand, and they didn't understand me very well either. They were very very unpersonable, and very very uncompassionate. The language barrier was a huge problem, but their lack of caring and concern was almost worse.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Very few of the employees including the doctors spoke very good English, the culture and language differences were huge barrier in my opinion. My husband and I were treated like strangers, outsiders... Honestly more like cattle being loaded on a train than human beings trying to have a baby.
New Hope Fertility Center

[Dr. Zaher Merhi is] Good at follow up and full of passion. But he seems little pushing us to start 1st cycle even though medication and genetic testing stuff are not ready. He is also super optimistic but i am not sure that was his personality or being realistic.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
convenient location, flexible monitoring time, staff are friendly. Weakness are some time they are little careless when it comes to treatment/ medication/ testing. Billing department is so difficulty to communicate.
mini ivf total cost $1500 with medication

IUI, 1 IVF
Dr. Merhi was always attentive and made time to answer all my questions. While monitoring can feel more like a number, I always knew Dr. Merhi was behind my care and available to speak... is a wonderful and caring doctor. He made a very emotional and upsetting process more accessible and lowered my stress. He always made time to explain things, I would wholeheartedly recommend him!
IUI, 1 IVF
How was your experience with Zaher Merhi at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Merhi is a wonderful and caring doctor. He made a very emotional and upsetting process more accessible and lowered my stress. He always made time to explain things, I would wholeheartedly recommend him!
Ask lots of questions.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The monitor hours at New Hope are really great! I found it really hard in my previous clinic to only have monitoring hours early morning, but New Hope has until 2pm and are usually pretty quick. Don't get thrown off at the New Agey decor, it's a great place, plus great location.