Mayo Clinic

Not available by direct line
Medical SchoolAga Khan University
ResidencyMayo School
FellowshipMayo School
200 First Street SW
Rochester, MN 55905
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Zaraq Khan to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 60%Neutral: 40%9

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Mayo Clinic to a friend?
I felt he [Dr. Khan] was very compassionate and he was extremely knowledgeable. He was also good at explaining the process multiple ways in order for both my husband and I to understand what the process was going to be like.... We are utilizing donor eggs. We had to go through a psychological evaluation in order to be approved for Egg Donor IVF. From there I had to have a false transfer in order to make sure my uterus was in good shape and I was capable of becoming pregnant and carrying a child.
How was your experience with Zaraq Khan at Mayo Clinic?
I felt he was very compassionate and he was extremely knowledgeable. He was also good at explaining the process multiple ways in order for both my husband and I to understand what the process was going to be like. He spent a lot of time speaking with us and we felt like we were a priority while we were there. I felt like he was optimistic, but also factual which I appreciated.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Zaraq Khan at Mayo Clinic?
I would just say that while patients aren't there it would be nice to feel like a priority over the phone. I would also like him to give more direct advice where as I feel like overall he was more optimistic than realistic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Zaraq Khan at Mayo Clinic?
While in the actual physical office I was treated very well and felt extremely comfortable. While trying to communicate with the office via the patient portal or over the phone I felt very uncomfortable and felt like I wasn't being given all of the information
Describe the protocols Zaraq Khan used in your cycles at Mayo Clinic and their degree of success.
We are utilizing donor eggs. We had to go through a psychological evaluation in order to be approved for Egg Donor IVF. From there I had to have a false transfer in order to make sure my uterus was in good shape and I was capable of becoming pregnant and carrying a child. We are now in the process of purchasing our eggs and setting up our orientation date and from there we will receive the meds necessary and then have the transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Mayo Clinic. (Assigned nurse: Katie Ley)
She was very nice and knew her stuff. She put us at ease about the process and helped us understands the next steps involved in the process. She has been available for questions over the phone and online which has been a lifesaver during the egg purchasing portion since we have to coordinate with Mayo and the Egg bank separately.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
It's a large campus so make sure you get there early to find your way. All of the staff we encountered (related to our visit and not) were very friendly and helpful. I felt like everyone that worked there was very knowledgeable and felt comfortable being treated there.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Zaraq Khan at Mayo Clinic.
We haven't been though all the procedures yet but my understanding include the actual IVF process which is about $8000, meds are about $2000, eggs are about $30,000.
Describe Zaraq Khan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Mayo Clinic.
He made it clear that it would be a single embryo transfer unless the embryos didn't develop well in which case he may transfer two.
Rochester

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Zaraq Khan at Mayo Clinic.

He [Dr. Khan] is very open and honest and up front - I 100% appreciate that, I don't want anything sugar-coated, I don't want anyone to give me false hope - he does none of that, he's honest and I appreciate that...So far I have only used him to diagnose my endometriosis and he performed the surgery. I'm hopeful we can continue with him through the IVF process...His bedside manner showed that he cared about my feelings and my pain I was experiencing. After messages were sent his way he took the time to call me rather than reply in the messaging system.
How was your experience with Zaraq Khan at Mayo Clinic?
He has an incredible knowledge base of women, and seems to understand everything I've told him that I've dealt with - even though he doesn't have a uterus. And he appears to care about the pain I've endured and the frustrations I've had with previous physicians. His energy level is refreshing even though I usually see him later in the day and he's probably ready to be done for the day. Everything about him (thus far) has been amazing.
He is very open and honest and up front - I 100% appreciate that, I don't want anything sugar-coated, I don't want anyone to give me false hope - he does none of that, he's honest and I appreciate that. Others who are more sensitive or unrealistic may not.
Nurses are a dime a dozen, some are good, some are not, some are competent, some never will be. It's unfortunate but that's how life goes. It's hit or miss anywhere you go whether you get a quality nurse or not.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
Since my first round of treatment several years ago, the REI office moved. Originally they were right next to the OB section, which was awful as a patient - riding in the elevator with a pregnant woman, to the same floor, to see her go in the door I want to go in, but I had to go to the other side since I wasn't pregnant. Now, I'm not sure where OB is and that's great! I haven't been forced on an awkward elevator ride yet with someone pregnant like last time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Zaraq Khan at Mayo Clinic.
Cost is dependent on the individual's insurance
Rochester

Good communication. Compassionate but factual. He [Dr. Khan] was friendly and warm but realistic which was appreciated. He was very knowledgeable and was good at demonstrating and explaining complex procedures. Overall i would recommend him to others. I felt like he truly cared about us and the result we were looking for. ... he seemed hopeful with the interest of the patient at mind but still factual which I appreciated.
How was your experience with Zaraq Khan at Mayo Clinic?
Good communication. Compassionate but factual. He was friendly and warm but realistic which was appreciated. He was very knowledgeable and was good at demonstrating and explaining complex procedures. Overall i would recommend him to others. I felt like he truly cared about us and the result we were looking for.
Be ready to get real facts.
He was very professional and factual. Overall I would recommend him, he seemed hopeful with the interest of the patient at mind but still factual which I appreciated.
Not knowledge about process but were still very friendly
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
Strengths include knowledge and ability to get things done. Cons were that it was a seemingly drawn out process that repeated tests and procedures for monitory benefit. Made us drive 2 1/2 hours to get to clinic when we could have had same labs and tests done in our hometown and faxed over. Again some repeated labs and sperm analysis because it was "outside window" which just resulted in the same results but an additional cost. Also, when i was first seen the reproductive endocrinology department was on the same floor as OB so you also had to deal with seeing happy pregnant people all around you while you were told you couldn't have kids.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Zaraq Khan at Mayo Clinic.
over $15,000 so far. but haven't started the egg donor process yet which will be about another $30,000
What specific things went wrong at Mayo Clinic?
Rochester
Each visit with Dr. Khan he was through, friendly, humorous and compassionate. He did a great job explaining the process with specific and light hearted examples; making the tough process and decision making more bearable. It was also great that he made sure we understood the process and next steps....
How was your experience with Zaraq Khan at Mayo Clinic?
Don't be uncomfortable to ask questions!
I am beginning my stimulation in a few months. I will be taking estrdiol, follistim, menopur and ganirelix. I will be doing a fresh cycle following retrieval and ICSI.
Mayo Clinic uses an online portal for questions; which is really convenient. The nurses are very prompt and get back in as little as an hour and up to a day. I feel comfortable asking questions and checking in.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
strengths: great reviews and awards, prompt, compassionate, available, this is the only clinic I found in my area that accepts insurance for Advanced Reproductive Technologies (ART), other clinics I was looking at required to patient to pay out of pocket for ART. "weakness" : I was not anticipating waiting 2 months to actually start my cycle. I completed the consult and pre-testing within two weeks of one another, then was told the first available date for me to start was in 2 months. However, this goes to show that since there is a waiting list it is a popular clinic and worth the wait!
freshcycle 20k meds 4-8k ISCI $1,500 Freezing embryos $1,000
Dr. Khan recommends transferring one embryo at a time, based upon my age (28) and reproductive health. We are facing male infertility.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
He started by saying “I am so sorry that you are going through this”...usually doctors come in and immediately start “doctoring,” it was nice to have someone acknowledge how tough this is. ... I really appreciated that we got a chance to kick IVF off with Dr Khan. He was realistic in expectations, explained all of our alternative routes, and was helpful in steering us down the right path. A great balance of giving us information and his opinion, but letting us make these huge life decisions for ourselves.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Zaraq Khan at Mayo Clinic?
Ask whatever you’re thinking. He’s very approachable and explains things in an easy to understand way, so ask away.
He started by saying “I am so sorry that you are going through this”...usually doctors come in and immediately start “doctoring,” it was nice to have someone acknowledge how tough this is. He also spent a decent amount of time with us, making sure that we understood all of our next steps and had all of our questions answered.
Pretty sterile, but very quick which I appreciated.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
Obviously this is one of the best clinics in the country, and you feel it when you meet the doctors. The reproductive office itself is smaller than I would have thought—smaller in size than my typical OB’s office. Everyone was speedy and helpful, but not a lot of emotions coming from anyone outside of the doctor.