LGBTQ+ Care

Ratings of 1 indicate an unsatisfactory LGBTQ+ care.

Ratings of 10 indicate an excellent LGBTQ+ care.

LGBTQ+ Competent Care
LGBTQ+ Competent Care

Based on reviews from the LGBTQ+ community.

Adrienne Neithardt

Worcester Fertility Center
100 MLK Jr. Blvd. Ste. 300
Worcester, MA 01608

2023, Successful
Dr. Rita Sneeringer is a compassionate, kind and empathetic doctor. I didn't feel ashamed or shy to share intimate medical details with her. Something I really value about her is she is honest but also understanding. I didn't get a sense of judgement for her which I sometimes feel with doctors. She actually praised me for our decision to pursue fertility preservation, which really made me feel confident in our decision...she is happy to give you scientifically backed answers
Overall everyone [at Boston IVF] is very professional, communicative and honest. I will say, I wish that instead of phone calls during the cycle (i.e. while on the stim protocols) we could get an email with next steps...Cons- You can only call during business hours. This is a little frusterating. I wish you could utilize their app to communicate with your care team. The calling got old quick...Dr. Sneeringer is a very kind, direct physician. She was patient with us throughout all of our initial questions while she was doing our consult. When it was time to move into the ER stage, her team was very responsive.
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Rita Sneeringer is a compassionate, kind and empathetic doctor. I didn't feel ashamed or shy to share intimate medical details with her. Something I really value about her is she is honest but also understanding. I didn't get a sense of judgement for her which I sometimes feel with doctors. She actually praised me for our decision to pursue fertility preservation, which really made me feel confident in our decision to continue with Boston IVF after our consult.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Make sure to read all emails thoroughly prior to your consult. Its a LOT of information they need from you, but if you give yourself enough time to fill out everything properly (forms, medical history, clearing with insurance, etc.) you will have a seamless experience. Also! Bring your questions, she is happy to give you scientifically backed answers (as opposed to Dr. Google).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Rita Sneeringer used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We did fertility preservation, I am 29 (F) and my husband is 31 (M). Total number of days on medication = 10. u= units. My calendar included Gonal-F (150 u), Menopur (75 u) for the first 4 days. Days 5-9 Ganirelex was added (one box, 0.25 mg), for reference this was 5 days of all 3 meds. Day 10 was my trigger shot, Lupon 80 u.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda Cincotta )
The nurses were the MVP of the procedure! They call you and let you know when to start, what times to take the medications, what to expect in terms of side effects and help assist with booking the next ultrasound/blood work apts.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Pros: Very convenient as they have several locations. I was lucky to be in between two sites. Their Lexington location is open all year round, even holidays. This was helpful for my one ultrasound/bloodwork apt that fell on a Sunday. Overall everyone is very professional, communicative and honest. I will say, I wish that instead of phone calls during the cycle (i.e. while on the stim protocols) we could get an email with next steps. Sometimes I would be working, in the middle of a task etc and its not consistent in terms of when you expect a call. It would be helpful if they called and pushed an update with the same instructions on the app. They do leave voicemails, but sometimes its nice to be able to ask questions without calling, leaving a voicemail for them and expecting a call during business hours. The egg retrieval day was INCREDIBLE. I am not exaggerating when I say I was blown away with how seamless everything went. I was in and out in 2 hours. The nurses, the doctor who performed the retrieval (who I can't remember, it wasn't my dr. but he was so calm and kind) and the anesthiologist were genuinely so amazing. I couldn't have imagined a better care team. Cons- You can only call during business hours. This is a little frusterating. I wish you could utilize their app to communicate with your care team. The calling got old quick! A couple of notes for future couples- this is an intense process. We had an unexpected family illness and it was very hard to travel during this. When you are ready, you must commit. You have a ton of apts (they are fast, but you still need to be home). Just be prepared for an intense couple of weeks once your forms and insurance are cleared to continue!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF.
My health insurance covered the cost of the medications, but I looked and it would have costed a whopping 18K without insurance coverage. The copays cost me $110 The cycle cost $9,135.00 The genetic testing (after insurance partially contributed) was $60 for both of us. Note: My employer works with Carrot Fertility to provide supplemental funds for all of this, up to 20K. I spent about 11K.
Describe Rita Sneeringer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
N/A, we did preservation for future use.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Just took a little longer for my perscriptions to be sent over- we had a miscommunication on when they were supposed to be sent. But it was quickly corrected.

2022 - 2023, Unknown Success
Dr Berger is an intelligent man with a compassion and the fantastic ability to translate medical jargon so that anyone can understand. His compassion works well when being truthful and giving the actual outlook on the odds and numbers while still being positive for us as a couple. The biggest downside is that he’s a sought after doctor, which makes him very busy. But he still does a great job of remembering us at each meeting, which shows tremendous bedside manner in face of the large amount of couples he’s working with.
Their [Boston IVF] major weakness is that they are very busy. They have a large amount of patients. However this weakness leads to one of their greatest strengths, they still make time to help you understand the process and answer all questions. They are compassionate and care about the patients that walk through the doors. I’ve never felt like just another number, always as a human going through a difficult time that they are trying their best to help.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
He is a busy doctor with lots of patients, however he is still very attentive and willing to talk whenever needed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
He has done a great job of answering all questions and breaking down the terms and information so my wife and I can better understand everything going on. He’s helped explain processes and given us the truth of the difficulties we may face while still remaining positive and encouraging us to keep a positive attitude as well.
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
A modified natural cycle with letrozole and ovidrel as the trigger shot for IUI, and later IVF. With my wife having PCOS, Dr Berger hoped we’d be able to skip IUI, however insurance thought it prudent to try 3 rounds first. We’re now starting our second cycle of IVF after a miscarriage during the first round. She is also on Metformin for PCOS, which he was able to diagnose too.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Donna Zimmerman)
Everyone of the nurses we’ve dealt with have been caring and hard-working. The care coordinator seemed to have a lot going on but was still very attentive and would always reach out to us in a timely manner when we had questions.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Their major weakness is that they are very busy. They have a large amount of patients. However this weakness leads to one of their greatest strengths, they still make time to help you understand the process and answer all questions. They are compassionate and care about the patients that walk through the doors. I’ve never felt like just another number, always as a human going through a difficult time that they are trying their best to help.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
I don’t remember specifics, but I found the costs so far to be rather reasonable for what we’re doing and the area we live in.
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Dr Berger did describe the two but said (as we’re currently only on our second cycle), that eSET was the way to go

2023, Unsuccessful
Dr Sneeringer is open to listening to any ideas or suggestions...was very through with all the lab work...feels very present during appointments and willing to answers any questions...frozen transfer because my progesterone was high. Did a natural cycle so had a ultrasound on day 10 and a trigger on day 10. transferred 7 days later.
[Boston IVF did] everything in Waltham. The retrieval, the transfer, and they had acupuncture on site...won't do anything until you pay upfront...have to wait about 15 - 20 minutes for my appointments...did not have a designated nurse...about $15k out of pocket...takes a few months to get a first appointment with Dr
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr Sneeringer is open to listening to any ideas or suggestions. She was very through with all the lab work, (compared to my previous doctor). I have experienced that I have to wait about 15 - 20 minutes for my appointments with her. She feels very present during appointments and willing to answers any questions.
It takes a few months to get a first appointment with Dr. Sneeringer and she often runs late.
Dr Sneeringer does try to find out a little more about you as a person and not just a patient who is struggling to get pregnant.
I completed an IVF round with Dr Sneeringer and the protocol is below: For the retrieval: Estradiol twice a day orally starting on day 21 until first day of period. On day 3 started stem 300 units of gonal and 150 of menopur and continued this until day 15, on day 16 did a trigger shot of ovidrel. Had to do a frozen transfer because my progesterone was high. Did a natural cycle so had a ultrasound on day 10 and a trigger on day 10. transferred 7 days later.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
I did not have a designated nurse, which was disappointing. It felt like a different nurse was calling me and they were not familiar with me or my medical plan. On some calls, I don't think the nurse had looked at my chart before they called. Since this was my second clinic, I knew high level the routine of an IVF cycle. If this was my first time with IVF, I would have been lost. This was much different than my experience at my first clinic.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I did like how they do everything in Waltham. The retrieval, the transfer, and they had acupuncture on site. Also the nurses will say they will contact you. Sometimes that means a phone call, or an email or a message via the patient portal. It never seems consistent. And if you are waiting for results their voicemail says, don't leave a message until after 4. Boston IVF won't do anything until you pay upfront. (unlike my previous clinic where you could pay in installments) These procedures are not cheap. The round of IVF I had at Boston IVF, I did not have good insurance coverage. If something was not approved in prior auths, the financial coordinator would call and say you owe $XX.XX amount before we can move on. When I asked if they appealed the insurance, the financial coordinator took a month to do so. They would rather charge you that patience than work with the insurance. Which caused me extra stress during this stressful time.
I paid about $15k out of pocket. I did not have great insurance coverage when seeing Dr. Sneeringer.
Only had 1 embryo to transfer. If I had more to transfer, we would have since I am over 40.

2023, Unknown Success
IUI With Other Docs
[Dr. Pietro Bortoletto] Need a smiley face during greetings. Need to improve listening capabilities from the patient not by the ear but by the heart. Explained greatly regarding the treatment and what a patient needs to know. The answering capacity is good. But if a doctor can explain the whole treatment by focusing on bringing a healthy baby into the world that would be great for the patient. Please do not take it only for treatment. Mental satisfaction matters.
[Boston IVF] Strengths are very organized, nice decoration, and moderate waiting time. Weaknesses are paper and pen entry for blood work and ultrasound, moderate waiting time...Online (portal) messaging with the doctor's team is very beneficial for all instead of leaving a voice message... if the doctors team can consult all together regarding the patient status or condition that would be great. I felt there is a informations gap between one nurse to another nurse. Doctor needs to talk more with the patient with smile and behave like he is the person who can help the patient to fulfill patients dream. So that a patient can trust the doctor 100% and relief from stress and anxiety. Otherwise I got quick response from phone calls.
How was your experience with Pietro Bortoletto at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Pietro Bortoletto at Boston IVF?
Learn to treat patients more frankly not like a robot or AI Machine
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Pietro Bortoletto at Boston IVF?
I think if the doctors team can consult all together regarding the patient status or condition that would be great. I felt there is a informations gap between one nurse to another nurse. Doctor needs to talk more with the patient with smile and behave like he is the person who can help the patient to fulfill patients dream. So that a patient can trust the doctor 100% and relief from stress and anxiety. Otherwise I got quick response from phone calls.
Describe the protocols Pietro Bortoletto used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Letrozole from cycle day 3 to 7. Day 10 ultrasound and blood work. Depending on the egg size ovidrel shot and IUI within 24 to 36 hrs
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Good communication skills. Just need to know the patient’s history or status. Some nurses have a lack of knowing patient information.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths are very organized, nice decoration, and moderate waiting time. Weaknesses are paper and pen entry for blood work and ultrasound, moderate waiting time, not having a patient serial number or who is next on the monitor that can help a patient prepare themselves to enter the doctor's office or procedure station, lack of availability of musk and hand sanitizer from the entrance, need to set gun detector machine on the entrance. Online (portal) messaging with the doctor's team is very beneficial for all instead of leaving a voice message.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pietro Bortoletto at Boston IVF.
I do not get my bills yet. I will inform you later when I will get it.
Describe Pietro Bortoletto's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
No comments
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
A nurse told me I could not start the treatment if I failed to give them my pap smear report during my cycle day 1 when I called the office to inform them about my period and this situation is ridiculous. If it is very important document for starting my treatment they can tell me before. They asked only if I did pap smear or not but I told I did some tests last year but no idea I did pap smear or not I needed to check. This is so tough to find an appointment instantly. This cycle could be failed to start the treatment. Fortunately, I found out my previous report and sent it via email because faxing was not convenient for me.
Pietro Bortoletto

2023, Consult
[Dr. Resetkova] listened to every question my husband and I had, no question was stupid to ask nor did she make me feel bad for asking. She took her time explaining in great detail what her thoughts were, and made sure to use words that my husband and I could understand...After the initial consultation, we were given our next steps which included blood work for both of us, imaging for myself and a semen analysis for my husband...Dr. Resetkova gives me a 110% if not more and as her patient I feel truly grateful to have her as my doctor
They are on top of the voicemail messages [at Boston IVF], they call you back in a timely manner, and the way the phone is set up, it’s very easier for you to get the correct person you need to speak with. However I do wish that sometimes there was a direct line or extension you could use rather then going through all the prompts...Don’t be afraid to call with questions or concerns even if they may seem silly.
How was your experience with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
My very first visit was a telehealth appointment, I was a bit apprehensive about it since we would be discussing in detail my husbands and I medical history and the issues that we have been having trying to conceive. She made us feel so comfortable talking with her, I’ve never had such a good experience before with a doctor (her bedside manner is outstanding). After the initial consultation, we were given our next steps which included blood work for both of us, imaging for myself and a semen analysis for my husband. She had let us know that results could take a little bit to come back, I appreciated (that way I didn’t have expectations on when I would be hearing back) she said it would take around 6 weeks which it did. Around that time is when we met with her for a second time, we discussed our results and what the next steps after that would be. She referred my husband to urologist, who in turn started my husband on a medication to help with his sperm. She sent me for a 3d ultrasound to see if I in fact had a bicornuate uterus, and to my surprise I did not. She called me in a timely manner to go over my results where she told me that would need to have a procedure done and she would be sending a referral over. So that is where I’m at right now in my treatment. So having said alll that, Dr. Resetkova gives me a 110% if not more and as her patient I feel truly grateful to have her as my doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
Don’t be afraid to call with questions or concerns even if they may seem silly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
She listened to every question my husband and I had, no question was stupid to ask nor did she make me feel bad for asking. She took her time explaining in great detail what her thoughts were, and made sure to use words that my husband and I could understand.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They are on top of the voicemail messages, they call you back in a timely manner, and the way the phone is set up, it’s very easier for you to get the correct person you need to speak with. However I do wish that sometimes there was a direct line or extension you could use rather then going through all the prompts.
Downtown Boston

2022 - 2023, Successful
Dr. Penzias was a great fit for us as he was able to explain to us through all steps of the process in a clear scientific manner backed by statistics all the risks and possibilities given each course of action...[he] was very understanding and very respectful in all encounters we had...As I had a low ovarian reserve, [he] increased the dose of the injections in the middle of the cycle as response to the ultrasound results, and when I had only 5 eggs retrieved he recommended I do ICSI to have higher change of fertilization
The whole process [at Boston IVF] was very well organized and clear. The videos were super informative and they made sure I know what I have to do next at every step of the way......I liked that they had a no children policy in all Boston IVF office which showed how compassionate they were towards families who are struggling to conceive. Finally the acupuncture and wellness center attached to the waltham office made it easier to schedule these services before my embryo transfer.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr. Penzias was a great fit for us as he was able to explain to us through all steps of the process in a clear scientific manner backed by statistics all the risks and possibilities given each course of action. We started by an IUI and unfortunately I had an ectopic pregnancy. So he explained all the risks and recommended IVF. Even though I waited a year to try again as I was emotionally drained by the process, Dr penzias was very understanding and very respectful in all encounters we had. I had low ovarian reserve and was worried about the IVF process failing but Dr. Penzias was able to predict given my age that I shouldn't be very worried. I got 5 eggs, 3 were fertilized (ICSI). transferred one and now am 20 weeks pregnant.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Try to meet with him as soon as possible in the process and have all your questions prepared (even if they seem trivial) and he will give you all the time to answer all your questions and address your concern in a clear scientific manner.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He took the time to explain all the statistics and possible causes of infertility. Always validated our feelings/concerns. Made sure we asked all the questions we had.
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We had unexplained fertility, so Dr. Penzias recommended IUI first (he recommended we try it three cycles). I unfortunately had an ectopic pregnancy from the IUI. He explained all the risks given that if I had an ectopic pregnancy I had a high chance of it happening again with IUI, so he recommended we proceed with IVF which has lower chance. As I had a low ovarian reserve, Dr. Penzias increased the dose of the injections in the middle of the cycle as response to the ultrasound results, and when I had only 5 eggs retrieved he recommended I do ICSI to have higher change of fertilization. 3 of the eggs fertilized. He recommended I only transfer 1 (fresh transfer) as I am 31 years old and the chances of high egg quality are higher. I am now 20 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Masciovecchio)
Lisa was very caring, very compassionate. The nursing staff always called back the same day to respond to my concerns. They made sure I understand the test results and procedures.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The whole process was very well organized and clear. The videos were super informative and they made sure I know what I have to do next at every step of the way. The nurses that drew blood in the downtown Boston office were extremely nice and always cheered me up even when I was most down after a miscarriage. Even when I got a positive test result and they were supposed to discharge me to by obstetrics care, I asked for an extra ultrasound as I was worried at week 8 and they scheduled that for me (my OB at MGH didn't allow me to do so). I liked that they had a no children policy in all Boston IVF office which showed how compassionate they were towards families who are struggling to conceive. Finally the acupuncture and wellness center attached to the waltham office made it easier to schedule these services before my embryo transfer.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
after insurance (BCBS PPO) IUI was nearly free (~$50), IVF (~$900)
Describe Alan S. Penzias's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
The Dr. said that he chose only one as I am 31 one years old and the chance of higher egg quality is bigger (also for a safer pregnancy). Also if I chose multiple it, the IVF will probably not be covered by insurance.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I had only once a nurse that told be it takes minimum a month (with no exceptions) for the insurance to process the IVF acceptance, which meant that my I had to wait an extra month and I was worried about that as my husband was traveling. Then when I called again in a few days they told me the BCBS already finished my paperwork which means it took a week/10 days and I didn't miss my cycle.

2023, Unknown Success
the doctor [Dr. Sandi Li] didn't seem interested to answer questions and was very rushed. It seemed that there was a standard protocol that would be followed. I would have liked to discuss my options rather than being treated as another experiment and wasted 1 cycle to learn how I respond...I did not get that sense as my concerns were not heard and answered. For someone who wants to trust the doctor completely, she would have been fine but not for me considering that I do not have time to keep trying many cycles.
[Boston IVF] Strengths: multiple locations, early testing times (opens at 6.30am), staff reminds you of the upcoming tests, insurance updates. Basically you can be tension free and they do all the work for you. Weaknesses: Doctor was not the right fit for me, some testing had to be done at other outpatient locations (advanced ultrasound, other diagnostic testing)...Best medical experience so far. I did not have one single nurse, but was kept informed after each single test result was available. If something was missed, they would reach out to the testing lab and inform me. I had to leave a voice message and the call would be returned promptly. No complaints.
How was your experience with Sandy Li at Boston IVF?
I started my fertility journey with Dr. Sandy Li for consultation and workup. As I learnt more about the treatments (through research), I gained more knowledge to be able to understand the nuances and varied options available (eg. 3 day vs 5 day testing, single vs multiple embryo transplant). I understand that the fertility doctor has the experience, but I wanted to feel comfortable and assured that the doctor has the best interest for me as an individual rather than just another patient. I did not get that sense as my concerns were not heard and answered. For someone who wants to trust the doctor completely, she would have been fine but not for me considering that I do not have time to keep trying many cycles.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sandy Li at Boston IVF?
If you want the doctor to take all the decisions, then Sandy Li could be a good choice. Everything else went fine with the limited number of visits I had.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sandy Li at Boston IVF?
When discussing options (after a thorough research on Fertility IQ), the doctor didn't seem interested to answer questions and was very rushed. It seemed that there was a standard protocol that would be followed. I would have liked to discuss my options rather than being treated as another experiment and wasted 1 cycle to learn how I respond.
Describe the protocols Sandy Li used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
The treatment strategy was not shared. The medication order was sent directly to the pharamcy
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sandy Li at Boston IVF.
Did not proceed with treatment, but blood work was reasonable after insurance, around $20. Genetic testing costs are still in consideration.
Describe Sandy Li's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Single embryo transfer was preferred as discussed during our conversation.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
One of the test results was wrongly conveyed to me, but the nurse followed up immediately apologizing that the results were for another patient. Test orders were not sent for ultrasound and I had to wait till the location could contact Boston IVF for orders.

2020 - 2023, Unknown Success
[Dr. Nina Resetkova] was very nice - and she was thorough with work ups before a transfer - making sure that everything looked good. But - didn’t seem like there is much explanation or changes on how make the next transfer more successful...I agreed with her choice one embryo as a twin pregnancy could be dangerous for me...I was on estrogen. 2 orally. I needed more - so we did add the patch and another one twice a day. We were able to find a good amount that got my lining to look very nice for a transfer
They may care [at Boston IVF] - but - sometimes there is nothing they can do to move things quicker. They try to give individual care - but I had a very tough time of all of this- someone that is not a long hauler like me may be happier with their care...I felt I had to wait a long time for calls sometimes- IVF is very stressful and waiting all day for a call can seem like an eternity... it seems if you emailed the nurses, your concerns were not actually remembered at the next appointment
How was your experience with Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF?
She was very nice - and she was thorough with work ups before a transfer - making sure that everything looked good. But - didn’t seem like there is much explanation or changes on how make the next transfer more successful
Be very thoroughly prepared when you have an appointment with all questions
It was difficult at times to ask those little questions you may have one day - that you know isn’t important to get full appointment - but it seems if you emailed the nurses, your concerns were not actually remembered at the next appointment
Describe the protocols Nina Resetkova used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They may care - but - sometimes there is nothing they can do to move things quicker. They try to give individual care - but I had a very tough time of all of this- someone that is not a long hauler like me may be happier with their care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nina Resetkova at Boston IVF.
A lot was covered - but with donor egg- I still paid about 20k- 27k per cycle. Still needed to pay 4-5k for testing. Of donor before we started
Describe Nina Resetkova's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.

2022 - 2023, Successful
Dr. Berger is very knowledgable about IVF and treatment protocols...was very personable and empathetic during phone calls. He always made time to address my questions and concerns...prescribes low dose HcG (30-40 units) gonal f (300-450 units) and cetrotide...worked with him for two IVF cycle
Boston IVF is very regimented and not open to change...are an efficient company...are overpopulated; one morning I had to wait over an over for blood work...Angel was an angel...made me me feel at ease during the process...was well organized and very good at explaining instructions and answering questions.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Dr. Berger is very knowledgable about IVF and treatment protocols. He and his nurses are very good at calling and explaining the protocol and cycle instructions. I worked with him for two IVF cycles after the first cycle he made some adjustments to improve my odds for success. I was able to get my desired number of embryos.
Book as early as you can because he is always very booked. Use the patient portal to monitor your cycle results.
Dr. Berger was very personable and empathetic during phone calls. He always made time to address my questions and concerns.
Dr. Berger prescribes low dose HcG (30-40 units) gonal f (300-450 units) and cetrotide. These doses will depend on your FSH, and number of follicles. He also does estrogen priming.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Angel Chan)
Angel was an angel. She made me me feel at ease during the process. She was well organized and very good at explaining instructions and answering questions.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston IVF is very regimented and not open to change but they are an efficient company and they seem to have a formula that works well for them. They are overpopulated; one morning I had to wait over an over for blood work. I think being organized and on top of things will help.
Each cycle is about 20k.
He prefers transferring 1 embryo at a time.
2023, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Samuel Pauli] is honest while also being direct and empathetic. He tailored my treatment to me vs sticking to a protocol. He was open to all my ideas and suggestions. He was willing to perform tests I had researched. He remained hopeful which gave us hope...Do you research and tell him ideas you have to alter your course of treatment. He will be honest with you and is willing to try knew things to see if they improve your outcome
The [Boston IVF] check in process for monitoring needs improvement. They should go by actual appt times vs just a sign in sheet. I find that patients show up whenever they want because of the sign up sheet and it causes long wait times...Dr. Pauli tailored my treatment to me, instead of sticking to a basic protocol. He was honest with us while also being empathetic. His team checked in on me regularly and were quick to respond.
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
He is honest while also being direct and empathetic. He tailored my treatment to me vs sticking to a protocol. He was open to all my ideas and suggestions. He was willing to perform tests I had researched. He remained hopeful which gave us hope.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Samuel Pauli used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We did the antagonist protocol twice with poor results. We switched to a long lupron protocol and had better results. We got our first blastocyst using this protocol. Prior to that we had only had day 3 embryos
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Kjirsten)
Kjirsten is amazing. She responds to me in a very timely manner. Never judges me or acts annoyed by my questions. She is empathetic and kind when she knows she is delivering bad news. She calls to check in after procedures. She keeps me abreast about insurance approval, my treatment course, and makes sure i have all the medications i need.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The check in process for monitoring needs improvement. They should go by actual appt times vs just a sign in sheet. I find that patients show up whenever they want because of the sign up sheet and it causes long wait times
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
Probably about 2k. The medications have cost almost 6k from the pharmacy

2019 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Murphy is exceptionally empathetic and extremely knowledgeable. She answers all our statistical questions thoroughly...she offered her recommendations on next steps but created plenty of space for us to talk through possible alternative options. Even when I wasn't able to speak to her directly, I could tell her whole team was in close communication...Sometimes, I would email Dr. Murphy a question, and receive a call from the nursing team a few hours later to answer my question. Other times, she'd reply directly...
Multiple locations of the clinic [Boston IVF] was great. The operations were pretty fluid. Sometimes it was difficult to get the time for an appointment I needed. But most of the time it worked out....They [nurses] always called back within the same day...Even when I wasn't able to speak to her [Dr. Murphy] directly, I could tell her whole team was in close communication. I never needed to repeat myself to an RN. Sometimes, I would email Dr. Murphy a question, and receive a call from the nursing team a few hours later to answer my question. Other times, she'd reply directly.
How was your experience with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Dr. Murphy is exceptionally empathetic and extremely knowledgeable. She answers all our statistical questions thoroughly. She addressed our anxieties thoughtfully. And she offered her recommendations on next steps but created plenty of space for us to talk through possible alternative options. Even when I wasn't able to speak to her directly, I could tell her whole team was in close communication. I never needed to repeat myself to an RN. Sometimes, I would email Dr. Murphy a question, and receive a call from the nursing team a few hours later to answer my question. Other times, she'd reply directly. It always felt like she was rooting for us. She even called us at the end of her workday on a Friday evening after we miscarried to just talk to us and say sorry for the loss. It was unexpected and really heartwarming. It emphasized to us how she was our advocate and cheerleader in addition to being our doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Ask for what you need. Don't be afraid to ask any questions. Even if she's not there doing a procedure, she's always aware of her patients.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Dr. Murphy always took the time to answer every single question I had even if it was for a possible future procedure we may end up not doing. She balanced giving us the clinical best practice alongside the mental health implications as well as took consideration to the financial piece. The biggest part though was how she addressed my husband equally. She honored both our needs throughout the process.
Describe the protocols Lauren Murphy used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
5 rounds of IUI, some unmedicated, some medicated. One full IVF round including a retrieval with all the related medication. Then 2 rounds of IVF natural cycles with trigger shot. One was a single embryo transfer and the second two embryos. Then a third double embryo transfer with full medication. Prior to the third IVF transfer, we did an endometrio biopsy and mock transfer cycle for additional tests.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda, Hope, Jackie)
They always called back within the same day.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Multiple locations of the clinic was great. The operations were pretty fluid. Sometimes it was difficult to get the time for an appointment I needed. But most of the time it worked out.
Describe Lauren Murphy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We initially transferred one embryo, and then she was comfortable starting to transfer two embryos after that. The reasons felt clear primarily because we had been in this process for 2.5 years at that point.

2020 - 2022, Unsuccessful
Dr. Penzias is incredibly knowledgeable and a leader in the field...He also came to every consultation having read and prepared my history carefully. He knew all my backstory and extreme challenges and was highly sensitive to that...He may not at first come across as especially warm and fuzzy (though definitely not cold) but he really is quite empathetic which I learned more and more over time.
Some people don't like this [Boston IVF] clinic because it so large, they feel like they are treated like a number, and/or their main RE's don't generally do their procedures. However, I love that it is the only thing they do, it is mostly a well-oiled machine, it is easily accessible with free parking, I can have things scheduled there any day and most times, I can do everything I need (testing, consults, procedures) in one place, and I have overall good experiences with their doctors and most of the other staff I have dealt with there. They are also well-regarded with many of the doctors being leaders in the field.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
(I am cutting and pasting from my prior comment as it applies to this question.) Dr. Penzias is incredibly knowledgeable and a leader in the field, and also knows that as I scientist I am very up to date on the research. So while he is always prepared to talk through any step of the process in a clear way, he also respected that I was pretty clear on everything and knew the literature. Still I felt comfortable asking any remaining questions and he always took the time to make sure they were fully answered. He also came to every consultation having read and prepared my history carefully. He knew all my backstory and extreme challenges and was highly sensitive to that. And while he doesn't generally encourage the use of RI's, in my case (and a few other patients of his) it was clear that was the next step having ruled out so much else, and he was on board for collaborating. And lastly, after my last failure, he wanted to make sure that aside from IVF plans, that I had support for the depression and challenges I was going through. I couldn't have asked for much more.
He may not at first come across as especially warm and fuzzy (though definitely not cold) but he really is quite empathetic which I learned more and more over time. He also really takes all the time to make sure you have covered any and all questions For me he knew that I knew the research well so we didn't have to go through many of the basics, but he always had relevant slides prepared if we needed to, and I'm sure they would have been extremely helpful when I first started this process. He is also totally up to date on the current research and upcoming policies and guidance as a leader in the field and at the ASRM.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
I'm not comfortable answering this one - sorry.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Some people don't like this clinic because it so large, they feel like they are treated like a number, and/or their main RE's don't generally do their procedures. However, I love that it is the only thing they do, it is mostly a well-oiled machine, it is easily accessible with free parking, I can have things scheduled there any day and most times, I can do everything I need (testing, consults, procedures) in one place, and I have overall good experiences with their doctors and most of the other staff I have dealt with there. They are also well-regarded with many of the doctors being leaders in the field.
The costs at the clinic in general seem among the highest of other clinics I am aware of.
I was allowed to transfer two double donor low mosaic embryos at the same time, primarily because they were mosaics but perhaps also keeping mind all my prior failures even with double donor euploid embryos.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I have been using this clinic for nearly five years,, and while there have been occasional issues, given how long I have been there, the dozens and dozens of appointments, etc., this seems like a very low percentage, especially when I hear about other clinics' issues.

2022, Unsuccessful
Dr Li was very up front with her recommendation given our medical profile, and was confident IVF would yield the best outcome for us. She educated us on the data and the treatment protocol that was recommended. She answered all of my questions and used visual aids to help explain the science and process of IVF and PGT-A testing.
A huge bonus is that the [Boston IVF] clinic has several monitoring sites and I have never had an issue with scheduling an appointment or getting testing completed. There is little to no wait time at the clinic. The only weakness I would say is that the monitoring sites do not know a lot about your protocol, and only perform the necessary tests.
How was your experience with Sandy Li at Boston IVF?
Go into every meeting with questions prepared for her.
Dr Li made extra time in her schedule to meet with us for additional consultations. She helped answer any questions we had and made us feel heard.
Antagonist protocol with PGT-A testing due to diminished ovarian reserve, recurrent pregnancy loss and age factor. Gonal-F and Meopur at max dosing, added in Centrotide day 5 due to concerns of pre-ovulation. Lupron Trigger 36 hours before retrieval. Produced 8 eggs, 4 mature, 1 fertilized and frozen but came back abnormal from PGT-A testing.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Dr. Li has a team of nurses, but you are never assigned to just one. They all do an excellent job with their response time. You are never able to speak to a live nurse when you call, the system is set up for the patient to leave a message and someone from the team calls back. I had the pleasure of connecting with a floating nurse on the team named Heidi and she was the most compassionate nurse I worked with. She advocated on my behalf when I felt like I needed more time with the Dr., and helped maximize my savings for prescription medications since I was self-pay. Heidi also called to check on me several times and corrected errors others made on the team.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
A huge bonus is that the clinic has several monitoring sites and I have never had an issue with scheduling an appointment or getting testing completed. There is little to no wait time at the clinic. The only weakness I would say is that the monitoring sites do not know a lot about your protocol, and only perform the necessary tests.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sandy Li at Boston IVF.
I have insurance but it did not cover IVF. My out of pocket costs were 12,571 which included monitoring, egg retrieval, and PGT-A testing. Medications were 5,000 and if I have an embryo transfer that would have been 3,400.
It was clear and agreed up from the beginning that we only want a eSET!
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
The nursing team accidentally canceled monitoring appointments, and another time scheduled them on the wrong day (past date vs future date). They also did not complete paperwork that was needed for a prescription discount program and were not knowledgeable on that process.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
She’s [Dr. Thornton is] a good listener and answered questions in detail and has a kind demeanor. She also took interest in my life outside treatment so I didn’t feel like just a number. It was important for me to have a black female doctor and I felt I could more easily talk about racial concerns...She recommended COQ10 in addition to the prenatal vitamin I was already taking...
It’s almost impossible to get someone to answer a call directly [at Boston IVF]. It tends to go to voicemail with a long message about their callback policy that you can’t skip. During the treatment cycle they were very responsive and and warm. Missing a call created anxiety especially before I started a treatment cycle, because I’d have to leave a message again...Communications had sort of a factory feel. Before scheduling my initial consult I wished someone could have laid out potential future appointments and blood/ultrasound monitoring during egg retrieval...
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
She’s a good listener and answered questions in detail and has a kind demeanor. She also took interest in my life outside treatment so I didn’t feel like just a number. It was important for me to have a black female doctor and I felt I could more easily talk about racial concerns.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Don’t delay in scheduling since her calendar books quickly, and be persistent about getting an earlier appointment/ask to get put on the waitlist and follow up
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
She listened to my concerns and answered my questions and also expressed interest in personal details outside the treatment.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
She recommended COQ10 in addition to the prenatal vitamin I was already taking. I injected meds to increase my follicles and eggs and had frequent monitoring to time my retrieval.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
It’s almost impossible to get someone to answer a call directly. It tends to go to voicemail with a long message about their callback policy that you can’t skip. During the treatment cycle they were very responsive and and warm. Missing a call created anxiety especially before I started a treatment cycle, because I’d have to leave a message again
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Provide an easier way for patients to get in touch and get questions answered sooner. Communications had sort of a factory feel. Before scheduling my initial consult I wished someone could have laid out potential future appointments and blood/ultrasound monitoring during egg retrieval. I would have potentially opted for a closer clinic had I known that
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF.
My insurance covered everything except embryo genetic testing. I’m still not sure if donor sperm is covered
Describe Kim L. Thornton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We discussed potentially transferring more than one embryo due to my age.
Kim L. Thornton

2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Penzias treats me like an intelligent human being, which I really appreciate. He doesn’t sugar coat or dumb-down information, and he’s very thorough explaining what he has read from my chart for previous cycles. I felt he really paid attention to me as an individual...extremely thorough and knowledgeable. He is frank about what he can and cannot do for me, and explains why. I appreciate that he’s forthcoming about his thought process...
I really appreciate that BostonIVF is open 365 days a year, it’s nice not to have to try to fit my cycle around their schedule. The clinic facilities are nice and I like that they have in-house acupuncture for pre- and post-transfer. I also appreciate that they have so many locations so morning monitoring appointments are easy to schedule....
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr. Penzias is extremely thorough and knowledgeable. He is frank about what he can and cannot do for me, and explains why. I appreciate that he’s forthcoming about his thought process. We haven’t found success yet, but I am confident that he will leave no stones unturned to help us get there if we can.
Do your research and be prepared with questions!
We came to Dr. P already having done two retrievals, so we had three tested embryos and were coming to him after a failed transfer and a cancelled transfer. Dr. P was receptive to me doing diagnostic testing (Emma/Alice) before moving forward with a FET cycle. For the FET cycle, he had me on a high dose of estrogen for three weeks, and then increased it further for a fourth week to thicken my lining. This seemed to work, though it was still on the thin side. The transfer was not successful, but I think he’ll still be able to find a solution for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
Lisa is absolutely amazing. She is kind, thorough, and quick to respond. I really felt like she had my back throughout the cycle. I appreciate her so much.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
So far almost all of my care has been covered by insurance.
We never really talked about this, we only want to transfer one embryo at a time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Before I switched to Dr. Penzias’ team, I was with another doctor at BostonIVF whose team was less organized and who had some mix ups with my retrieval and transfer cycles.

2022, Successful
Dr. Seidler really cares. She never made me feel rushed or disregarded. She listened to and answered every question my husband and I had. She also brought levity to a stressful subject and helped me to feel calmer and more optimistic about what feels like a daunting process...Used an antagonist method for IVF b/c of PCOS diagnosis and a freeze all cycle to avoid OHSS. We then proceeded with eSET based on our ages and the Dr.’s recommendations...
Boston IVF is a well oiled machine. I was able to get treatment 24/7 365 and someone was always available to answer questions. It feels like a state of the art institution which was comforting for us. However if you want to guarantee your doctor will perform your procedures this may not be the place for you. Nonetheless, every doctor I encountered was so kind and I truly felt comfortable with and cared for by all of them...I had two primary nurses (both named Nikki) who were excellent. They were communicative, helpful, and so kind. They really rooted for us during the highs and the lows...
How was your experience with Emily Seidler at Boston IVF?
Dr. Seidler and her team were amazing. They felt like friends that were rooting for me and I came to really trust and care about them. They understood my concerns and made me feel comfortable reaching out any day / time. And I always received a response within 24 hours (oftentimes just an hour or two later).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Emily Seidler at Boston IVF?
Don’t be afraid to open up and ask the questions that feel “stupid.” Dr. Seidler will make you feel heard no matter what.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Emily Seidler at Boston IVF?
Describe the protocols Emily Seidler used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nikki )
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Emily Seidler at Boston IVF.
Nearly all of our costs were covered by insurance!
Describe Emily Seidler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
eSET was ultimately the right choice for us! It was hard to be patient but ultimately happy to be pregnant with one singleton.

2021 - 2022, Unsuccessful
my transfer was cancelled. When I asked for next steps he [Dr. Berger] said "I don't know". I would have appreciated if he considered critically thinking outside of the box, but it appears he only works with 2 protocols of which he doesn't personalize for patients. That second cancelled FET protocol ended up giving me OHSS and Dr. Berger did not reach out to me once to check to see how I was or answer questions even after I was hospitalized for loosing consciousness due to it...
my nurse [at Boston IVF] was extremely disorganized with scheduling follow ups or testing, or keeping track of my paperwork. Every time she called me she sounded overwhelmed so she is most likely just overworked and the patient volume is too much for her...The sonographers and phlebotomists are extremely compassionate and professional...All procedures are done by different doctors (even if your doctor claims they will try to do it). Everything is rushed because they are a large clinic with a large patient volume...
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
I do appreciate that Dr.Berger tested my free and total T which ended up leading towards my lean PCOS dx. I also appreciate that he would personally call me with every set back we had. Yet that is all that occured under his care - setbacks. For my egg retrieval I personally scanned myself (Im a sonographer) and had over 12 dominant follicles per ovary (at least 24 total). yet then only 12 eggs were retrieved, which he admitted was a huge discrepancy. There was no explanation as to why so we only ended up with 2 euploid embryos. Our first FET I was placed on a letrozole protocol which was unsuccessful. I tested at home day 8 (+) then started bleeding the day before b-hcg (-). He then put me on a super aggressive gonadotropin protocol. I scanned myself and saw trace fluid in my lining and asked for an official US. Because of those findings my transfer was cancelled. When I asked for next steps he said "I don't know". I would have appreciated if he considered critically thinking outside of the box, but it appears he only works with 2 protocols of which he doesn't personalize for patients. That second cancelled FET protocol ended up giving me OHSS and Dr. Berger did not reach out to me once to check to see how I was or answer questions even after I was hospitalized for loosing consciousness due to it.
If you are not a straight forward case find a different doctor because he only uses two cookie cuter protocols and he will not personalize your protocol to enhance your chances of success. If you advocate for yourself and ask questions he may not be a good fit for you because he often laughs at questions and shoots them down and calls them "scams". For example when I asked about coQ10 supplement (which has published evidence based data to support it).
Red flag #1: "Oh you're young we don't need to start early, it will be easy to get you pregnant" Dr.Berger assumed I would have no infertility diagnoses due to being 27 at the time, even though I did have concerns of extremely painful periods, irregular cycles etc.. I never once got to meet him in person. I feel that I was treated as a number because he only had 2 specific FET protocols that he uses on patients and when my second one was cancelled the day before transfer and I asked him for next steps he responded " I don't know". I ended up getting OHSS and he never checked in with me to see if I was okay even after being hospitalized, and his nurse assuring me that he would.
First FET protocol: Modified natural Letrozole -unsuccessful Second FET Protocol: Artificial with gonadotropins -cancelled These apparently are the only two protocols he uses and offered me
I was assigned Donna and requested a different nurse after many mistakes and negative experiences. Yet Dr. Berger specifically only works with Donna and Angel. Due to my cycle type I was assigned Donna. I asked if Angel could be my nurse and was told yes but she only called me twice most of my two years was spent under Donnas "care". Disorganized- She had forgotten to schedule me an HSG before my cycle as required my insurance. She continually lost track of any information I gave her. She sent me the wrong cycle calendar at one point. She forgot to schedule follow up appointments for me. I'm not sure if she ever informed Dr.Berger of my OHSS. Everything was a complete struggle and made the whole process more stressful with her - even filing the paperwork to transport our embryo to a new clinic. Not very compassionate- Her words when I called about OHSS "well at least you're not pregnant". Her words when she forgot to schedule my HSG "well you can just wait until your next cycle" -even though I don't get a normal period and that could literally take months to occur.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: The sonographers and phlebotomists are extremely compassionate and professional. Weaknesses: All procedures are done by different doctors (even if your doctor claims they will try to do it). Everything is rushed because they are a large clinic with a large patient volume (BIVF).. this trickles down to how you can be treated as just another number. If you have poor experiences with your nurse you are stuck. Billing is confusing- they send you a bill and it has no reference to the service or service date.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
I was never scheduled to "see dr. berger" every visit is telehealth and never once in person. Even though you would think this would be more convenient, the wait is on average a month (even after I had a failed cycle).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
With BCBS of MA I had copays for telehealth "visits" or calls, procedures, US, and labs. I paid out of pocket for PGT-A $3,900. Storage fees of $100/month for embryos and $100/month for sperm. $800 for cryopreservation of sperm after partners MESA.
We only had two euploid embryos so only considered SET
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I had very few instances in which things actually went right at this clinic, mostly because my nurse was extremely disorganized with scheduling follow ups or testing, or keeping track of my paperwork. Every time she called me she sounded overwhelmed so she is most likely just overworked and the patient volume is too much for her. This however negatively impacted my care significantly and I had to advocate for myself far more than necessary.
South Shore (closed)

2020 - 2022, 53 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Murphy is fantastic and I would highly recommend her to anyone looking for a fertility doctor. She was patient, kind, and thoroughly explained my options and associated risks. I was so grateful to have found such a great fertility doctor. After I moved to a different state and consequently had to proceed with a different fertility clinic, I set up a consultation with Dr. Murphy as a second opinion because I valued her expertise so much. I trusted her so much that I couldn't imagine proceeding with my FET without her weighing in!
The [Boston IVF] clinic was pretty disorganized. I had to be pretty aggressive about calling and following up to push things forward. I'm not sure if that was the nurses or the administration, though. Once I was there for blood draws and other exams, the nurses were all very competent and nice...The communication and coordination around my egg freezing cycles was not the best. One has to really advocate for themselves and be aggressive about calling and following up. But, the patient care by the doctors and nurses was really fantastic.
How was your experience with Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF?
Dr. Murphy was incredibly patient and thorough in explaining my options to me. She was really great at listening to what my personal goals were and adjusting the plan to maximize my goals. I really felt like she applied her expertise to my personal situation, which I really appreciated.
I did two egg retrievals (for freezing) with Dr. Murphy. Because of my age (39 at the time), I think we had to be pretty aggressive about medications and monitor pretty closely. My results were amazing, though, retrieving over 60 eggs in those two cycles. So, whatever she did certainly worked. A couple years later, we turned those eggs into embryos, did PGT-A testing and ended up with 8 beautiful, healthy embryos. Given my age, I really needed to mitigate the chances of miscarriage, so I don't at all regret doing the PGT-A testing. I also consulted with her about what kind of frozen embryo cycle to go with, not getting much clarity from my new fertility doctor (I had moved to a new state). We discussed my options and preferences and she recommended a natural cycle. I went with that natural cycle and am now pregnant.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The clinic was pretty disorganized. I had to be pretty aggressive about calling and following up to push things forward. I'm not sure if that was the nurses or the administration, though. Once I was there for blood draws and other exams, the nurses were all very competent and nice.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Murphy at Boston IVF.
I was very lucky because I had Google insurance that covered most of my egg freezing costs.
Given my age and the fact that we did the PGT-A testing, both Dr Murphy and my new fertility doctor recommended a single embryo transfer. Both doctors were pretty clear on this being the healthiest choice for me.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Both of my egg freezing cycles were done under particular time crunches and in both cases I was almost unable to do the cycles due to administrative problems. For the first one, it took a lot of phone calls and coordination to make sure I could do the egg freezing before my insurance ran out. I'm quite certain it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't constantly called and reminded and nagged. For the second cycle, I was no longer living in Boston, but arranged to come to town for the cycle. I coordinated and confirmed everything and then once I arrived in Boston, was told that it hadn't been set up and I wouldn't be able to do the cycle that month. Luckily, with quite a bit of persistence on my part, I was able to get everything back on track. These were just some of the bigger coordination events. Both cycles were peppered with smaller coordination and communication problems.

2022, Unsuccessful
Dr. Sandy Li was polite and kind. She did not always set expectations, which, in fairness, could have been out of politeness...After our first round of IVF failed, Dr. Li was not proactive and made no recommendations to adjust our treatment - I had to research on my own. While Dr. Li might be a good fit for others, she was not a good fit for us in terms of providing tailored treatment or closely monitoring our labs and fertilized embryos.
The BostonIVF nursing team is solid, but it is impossible to reach them by phone and we mainly communicated via email. In their emails and when they called me, conversations were extremely rushed - I don't blame the nurses, I got the sense all the nursing and doctor teams at BostonIVF had enormous patient caseloads...BostonIVF is kind of like McDonalds - their typical treatment is an out-of-the-box Happy Meal that probably works for a majority of their patients. Having said that, BostonIVF prioritizes their IVF rates above all else. To this day, I think they would have happily strung me along with 5+ rounds of IVF with minimal adjustments round-to-round. If you're someone where BostonIVF worked the first round, that's great! But if you can only afford 1-2 rounds of IVF, I would recommend a hospital-based IVF clinic where they prioritize YOUR best success rate.
How was your experience with Sandy Li at Boston IVF?
Dr. Sandy Li was polite, kind, and knowledgeable. Having said that, Dr. Li prioritizes the success rate of BostonIVF over the individual success rate of the patient. Every decision Dr. Li made prioritized the highest success rate for BostonIVF; she did not explain the options at our disposal and I had to do extensive research after our first IVF round failed. For example, we had over 20 eggs but less than 5 fertilized; Dr. Li pushed PGT testing repeatedly (I understand the benefits, but with under 5 fertilized embryos we did not have the luxury), and Dr. Li insisted on checking on the fertilized embryos after 5 days only to find all stopped developing after Day 3. I found it disturbing that with over 20 eggs, and less than 5 fertilized embryos, Dr. Li was unwilling to consider or even inform us we could do a 3-day transfer. I requested embryology reports and discovered several of our fertilized embryos would have been candidates for 3-day transfer and/or freezing - it was devastating to learn Dr. Li had essentially wasted a round of IVF for us when we had usable embryos. After our first round of IVF failed, Dr. Li was not proactive and made no recommendations to adjust our treatment - I had to research on my own. While Dr. Li might be a good fit for others, she was not a good fit for us in terms of providing tailored treatment or closely monitoring our labs and fertilized embryos. Again, her priority was securing the best rates for BostonIVF; since we had no embryos to transfer, we never impacted her success rate.
Prior to meeting with Dr. Li, research all of the options at your disposal because Dr. Li likely won't make you aware of them, such as Assisted Hatching, 3-day vs. 5-day transfers, and 3-day egg freezing.
Dr. Sandy Li was polite and kind. She did not always set expectations, which, in fairness, could have been out of politeness. For example, we went in thinking we had a fairly straightforward case, so it was particularly devastating when we had 0 blasts and had no embryos to transfer.
We used antagonist protocol. While we were able to retrieve a high number of eggs (>20), I sometimes wonder if the medications could have been calibrated better - I was on 275 Gonal F and 75-112 ML Menopur.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Kylie Henderson)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sandy Li at Boston IVF.
About $5,000 for IVF through egg retrieval (but no transfer)
Dr. Li only offered single embryo transfer; I had to research to ask if multiple embryo transfer was an option.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
BostonIVF is incredibly disorganized. They do not closely track lacks or fertilized embryos, so it's not uncommon that hormone levels get so high it prohibits a fresh transfer, or that fertilized Day 3 embryos are wasted because BostonIVF prefers to check on them after Day 5. You will also have to stay on top of every single communication, remind your nursing team, and proactively schedule every single follow-up appointment.
LGBTQ+

2021 - 2022, Successful
LGBTQ+
I only have positive things to say about my experience with Dr. Seidler. It can be scary navigating the medical system as a queer person but Dr. Seidler made my partner and I feel comfortable...I felt comfortable asking her questions and left appointments feeling good about next steps. It was also helpful knowing I could ask nurses questions and Dr. Seidler would get an answer to them very quickly.
Boston IVF is well organized and I had a very positive experience overall. It felt intimidating at first coming to this clinic as a queer person but everyone I interacted with was great. A weakness is that storing sperm and embryos is a separate fee and very expensive...All of the nurses I worked with were incredible. They always got back to me quickly and were compassionate when I was going through a miscarriage.
How was your experience with Emily Seidler at Boston IVF?
My experience was extremely positive. I felt comfortable asking her questions and left appointments feeling good about next steps. It was also helpful knowing I could ask nurses questions and Dr. Seidler would get an answer to them very quickly.
I would say to bring questions to appointments because she will make time to go over everything.
I only have positive things to say about my experience with Dr. Seidler. It can be scary navigating the medical system as a queer person but Dr. Seidler made my partner and I feel comfortable and we had a great experience with Boston IVF in general. I felt prepared going through my treatment and felt that I knew what to expect. Dr. Seidler was also incredibly kind and helpful while I was experiencing a miscarriage.
I don't remember specific details unfortunately. I did one egg retrieval and ended up with 37 eggs, 12 embryos, 7 euploid embryos, and my first embryo transfer was successful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Emily Seidler at Boston IVF.
My insurance covered everything except donor sperm, PGT testing ($5000 (depends on number of embryos)), and storage which is $110 per month for embryos, and $110 for sperm

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Penzias was clearly knowledgeable and explained things thoroughly. He is very friendly and cut to the chase regarding my age and chances of conception with my own eggs, but didn't imply that it "wasn't worth the time." I just felt like I wasn't always given enough time to ask questions or inquire about alternate conception methods...Based on my baseline hormone levels and age, a high dose of Gonal-F and Menopur were used to obtain the maximum number of eggs.
Appointments [at Boston IVF] were easy to make and super efficient. The ultrasounds techs and phlebotomists were very kind and friendly. As an aside, the patient portal went unnoticed for a long time, and I wasn't informed that almost all results would be reported there!..I felt like the care provided was adequate, but consults were often rushed, and I didn't feel encouraged to ask questions.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
List questions and make sure they are addressed at consult.
Based on my baseline hormone levels and age, a high dose of Gonal-F and Menopur were used to obtain the maximum number of eggs. Ultrasounds and bloodwork was done throughout cycle, but no adjustments were made as I responded well to stimulation meds.
Mostly communicated via email, they were responsive, and understanding of an anxious, woman TTC at an older age ;)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Appointments were easy to make and super efficient. The ultrasounds techs and phlebotomists were very kind and friendly. As an aside, the patient portal went unnoticed for a long time, and I wasn't informed that almost all results would be reported there!
Insurance covered everything except PGT-A testing, about $3900/cycle.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Once I received PGT-A results, it was clear they were ready several days before I was informed.
2022, Successful
We met Dr. Berger after several failed ivf rounds under care of a different doctor, when we were nearing the end of our rope in terms of our ability to keep trying for a family. We had been told that donor eggs were the only option, but wanted to try one last time with my eggs. He reviewed our case thoroughly and led us through a revised protocol with best chances for success with my own eggs. Ultimately, our first cycle with Dr.Berger was not successful, but our second cycle used donor eggs and went wonderfully - I am now holding our miracle baby in my arms thanks to Dr.Berger!!
[Boston IVF has] Very attentive and compassionate care, from the early morning blood draws through egg retrieval and transfer. Even though I saw different providers each time I felt I received good quality care consistently...Dr. Berger listened to my husband’s and my experience with previous failed ivf cycles and was compassionate in discussing our care options moving forward...our second cycle used donor eggs and went wonderfully - I am now holding our miracle baby in my arms thanks to Dr.Berger!!
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and request details of the treatment plan he suggests and why he thinks it would work best for you.
We ended up pursuing an egg donor cycle because of my diminished ovarian reserve and poor egg quality. The first egg donor cycle was successful and we welcomed our baby in September!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
Very friendly and attentive
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Covered by insurance for the most part thankfully.
I appreciated that he was open to multiple embryo transfer if I preferred that.

2018 - 2022, Unknown Success
Surrogacy With Other Docs
Dr. Rita has taken her time during consultations to answer my questions and give me medical advice. She has been kind and understanding trying her best to help me achieve pregnancy...I am working with a gestational carrier, she was very good at carefully screening my carrier...One embryo transfer was highly recommended but two embryos was not denied for us.
[Boston IVF] Strength: communication, promptness, and thoroughness of their screenings. Both nurses and the doctor are very kind, compassionate and respond promptly to emails. Weakness: wait time for appointments is pretty long, can take anything between 4-6 weeks to get an appointment...The costs were pretty high, higher than other clinics I’ve worked with
How was your experience with Rita Sneeringer at Boston IVF?
Dr. Rita is very kind, warm and compassionate. She is very knowledgeable and helpful. Tammy is my favorite nurse, she communicates often, is prompt, clear and supportive. Patients usually communicate with nurses more than the doctor.
Have a list of questions, communicate all your worries, wants and needs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Tammy Greenleaf )
Tammy communicates so well, she’s prompt, even responded on her days off. She was very knowledgeable, helpful and kind.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The costs were pretty high, higher than other clinics I’ve worked with

2022, Unsuccessful
We met doctor Pauli two times through an online meeting, he bent his head to his mobile and talked with us. One of the most important factors in medical treatment is one on one interaction between the patient and the provider. While there wasn't Covid when we met doctor Pauli but we couldn't make an in-person appointment with him...for the blood test, my husband's arm became severely bruised and he couldn't bend or sleep on his hand for more than one month. his hand has been green from the place of the needle to his wrist. We complained about it but the clinic and doctor said it is normal.
I can not evaluate the doctor and clinic separately. I believe the whole Boston IVF system and employees are not good...During the treatment, they change nurses several times and none of them are fully responsible to track your treatment procedure. They miss some exams and tests and you have to go to the clinic several times because of their fault in scheduling...
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
We met doctor Pauli two times through an online meeting, he bent his head to his mobile and talked with us. One of the most important factors in medical treatment is one on one interaction between the patient and the provider. While there wasn't Covid when we met doctor Pauli but we couldn't make an in-person appointment with him.
Don't choose Boston IVF, it is wasting time and money.
Patients are just a number for Boston IVF. They don't care about patients at all. The only thing that they care about is how to make money from patients. During the treatment, they change nurses several times and none of them are fully responsible to track your treatment procedure. They miss some exams and tests and you have to go to the clinic several times because of their fault in scheduling. fertility treatment itself is complicated and working with an irresponsible provider makes it much harder.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: They changed nurses frequently.)
Since they have changed nurses frequently, they missed tracking the treatment procedure accurately.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I can not evaluate the doctor and clinic separately. I believe the whole Boston IVF system and employees are not good. They support each other to cover their faults. For example, for the blood test, my husband's arm became severely bruised and he couldn't bend or sleep on his hand for more than one month. his hand has been green from the place of the needle to his wrist. We complained about it but the clinic and doctor said it is normal. For sperm freezing, they gave consent to my husband to sign, in the consent they clearly said the money that you are paying at the beginning is for the whole year, while it wasn't true. They designed the consent in a way that patients were tempted to sign it, then after three months, they sent a bill that from now on you have to pay a specific amount each month to keep the sperm. When we complained to them about the content of the agreement and asked them to dispose of the sperm and refund the money they said we will consider your comments about the content of the sperm freezing agreement and that is it. Their behavior was like scammers, not a medical center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF.
I told the story of the sperm-freezing agreement.

2022, Successful
Dr. Pauli is the third doctor we see in our infertility journey. I wouldn't describe him as a super warm or compassionate doctor, BUT I'd say I trust him more than anyone else. He was always calm and candid with our diagnosis. Since our infertility was unexplained and we had had one failed IVF with a different clinic, I had a lot of doubts and questions every step throughout. Dr. Pauli addressed my concerns with scientific evidence, and when he told me that he wouldn't worry about something, I did trust him which truly boosted my confidence.
They [Boston IVF] have several branches across the city which made it easy to the numerous visits. Again, reaching out to the team and get instant help was not easy, but the doctors that worked with me all seemed professionable...It was quite difficult to reach the nursing team. 90% of the time I called them, it went to voicemail which was very frustrating and caused me more anxiety. (They did reply, but what I didn't like was the uncertainty of when they'd call or if I'd miss it.)
How was your experience with Samuel Pauli at Boston IVF?
Dr. Pauli communicates in the way that's exactly what I needed. For every step of the treatment and every question we have, he explained with scientific evidence, and when something was unexplanatory, he was very candid about it too which I think made us feel much more confident in his suggestions.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They have several branches across the city which made it easy to the numerous visits. Again, reaching out to the team and get instant help was not easy, but the doctors that worked with me all seemed professionable.